Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera Lighting

Comments

• pahefner01pahefner01 Member Posts: 202
    I looked at several suggested methods including "baking" your headlamp assemblies in the oven and taking them apart, cleaning them and putting them back together. The easier solution I found was removing the headlamp assembly and inserting silica packets into the assembly itself. I did check for cracks or any breaks in the seal of the assembly and couldn't find any. I dried the headlights out with a fan and a hair dryer the best I could. Then I got two silica packets from a bottle of vitamins I had. I inserted them into the headlamp assembly, NOTE: put them in the assembly behind the shiny parts and behind the bulbs, there is a cavity there that will hold the silica packets and they are not visible. I could see a little bit of moisture around the amber colored part of the assembly. It is now gone. It's been four days of driving at day and at night and the humidity has been high here an and so far there is no sign of moisture. Good luck.
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Sounds like a great solution to a problem I see a lot on the road. I have to admit, silica packets never crossed my mind before! Good looking out and thank you for posting that little trick here for all to see!

Have a great weekend!!!
    Sounds like a great solution to a problem I see a lot on the road. I have to admit, silica packets never crossed my mind before! Good looking out and thank you for posting that little trick here for all to see!

I would have never thought of it either. I found it online and thought it was worth a try. The guy who posted it suggested buying chineese food for the packets but then I thought, I probably have some of those in an OTC medicine bottle. It sure was easier than baking the headlights.
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    RE; 209
    The only problem with desiccant packets is that they absorb a very limited amount of moisture. You must determine what allowed the moisture into the housing and cure the problem.
    It's obvious they absorbed enough moisture to clear up the problem he was having. He also said he check the lights out as best he could and couldn't find out why the moisture was in there to begin with. Maybe he didn't put the dust cap back on securely one time...who knows. However, the info he posted, worked for him and now other folks can TRY it if it might work for them as well, right?
    RE: 211
    Mike
    The fact that the moisture disappeared is an anomaly.
    When dessicants are heated, as in a hot head lamp, the moisture quickly dissipates from the chemical and therefore would go back into the environment. In this case the headlight assembly.
    I'm happy that the problem resolved itself, however, I don't believe that it was the silica bags that produced the desired result.
    Hi Bob,
    I had placed some vinyl "chrome" molding around the headlamp assemblies to add a little "bling". I think in the process the bling may have either blocked all ventilation to the headlamp assembly or not allowed for the assembly to expand and contract with heat. I removed the molding.
    RE;213
    I doubt that the headlamp units are air tight.
    If anything, there may very well be a ventilation hole.
    Good luck!
    RE, 214
    I read somewhere there is a ventilation hole. The moisture seemed to be trapped between the clear glass in front and the amber colored glass. A trip to the touchless high pressure car wash today resulted in no water in the lamps even after driving with home after dark with the lights on.
    RE:215
    The heat of the lamps should cause any water to evaporate and escape thru ventilation hole.
    Re 216,
    I agree that it should evaporate thru the ventilation hole. However, I've read that this is a common problem and see it on a number of vehicles. I read on a Lexus board that many people were having the same problem. I also saw it as a common problem for Ford Crown Vics and Mercury Grand Marquis. I see lots of cars that have had this problem long enough that the headlights are yellowed from this problem.
    Check these links; http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/headlights/index.html
    http://www.clublexus.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-15054.html
    http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic295357.htm
    http://www.smartmotorist.com/lig/lig.htm

It seems to be a common problem that is not handled by evaporation.
    RE: 217
    Your smartmotorist link confirms my theory about the vent hole problem as a potential cause of the moisture problem.
    If a defect in the unit is the cause of the moisture problem, the dealer should replace the unit under warranty without the necessity of going through the arduous repair,
    Re 216
    It does seem to confirm it for many vehicles. It appears the problem is exacerbated by Xenon bulbs and the increased heat. I can only assume that the chrome trim I placed around the headlamp assemblies may have interfered with evaporation. I'm not sure if the dealer would accept responsibility in that case.
    Re:211
    Thanks Allmet. I didn't really care about the "science" involved, just a solution which I apparently found. I did make sure that the dust covers were securely attached. I suspect the culprit might also be the turn signal bulb which does not appear to seal as well as the headlamp bulb covers. That is where the moisture was between the clear plastic and the amber plastic. I put some headlamp bulb sealant on that cover after drying out the assembly as well as I could and putting it the dessicant packets.
    Good luck to anyone else with this issue.
    My wife noticed a new problem with our tailights tonight. Some of the LEDs are intermittently not lighting. I experimented when we got home and had four different LEDs that were intermittently lighting and not lighting.
    Has anyone else noticed this problem? I wouldn't have noticed if my wife hadn't seen it.
    Does anyone know enough about the science of LEDs to suggest a cause/solution to this. You might want to check your own tailights.
    I'll be talking to the dealer about this one.
  • chilliwackchilliwack Member Posts: 189
    loose wiring. I had 2 bad lights on the driver side tail light assembly. Took her in and got the assembly replaced. ;)
    RE: 1
    Definitely a warranty situation.
    Thanks for the responses. I certainly wasn't going to risk removing those tail lights. I can only imagine what those babies costs. I'll take it to the dealer for replacement.
    Why not, that's what a wonderful warranty is for! ;)
  • billazerabillazera Member Posts: 9
    Hi, arbee88

Where did you get your HID ? And price you paid if you can share.

Thank you
  • arbee88arbee88 Member Posts: 29
    Hi. See post 141 for the information on the HIDs. Here is a current link to his eBay store:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H7-10000K-AUTO-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-FREE-SHIPPING_W- - - 0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36476QQihZ003QQitemZ130128007902QQtcZphoto

It is long, but cut in paste in the browser address line (if the link is not live). Two things to remember:
    1-I purchased the standard kit (showing the ballasts that are pictured on this ebay link). He also is selling a slim ballast kit too - a little more expensive.
    2- What year Azera do you have. 2006's use an H7 kit.
    2007's started with an H7 and changed to an H11B (reported here in this forum)
    Check it out before you buy.

I can tell you that the kit I have has overload fuses in line with the bulb. It actually saved the bulb from possible damage. I forgot to turn the headlight switch off and turned the key a few times to check something. The 15 cent fuse went, not the bulb. Good feature most kits do not have.

If you want a blue tint, order the 5000-5500 degree kit. The 6500 degree kit has a pronounce blue tint. I tried another manufacturers 4300 degree kit. Still too yellow in comparison to the 5000.

Am I satisfied - After 8 months of use, I would do it gain in a heartbeat. Great output - crisp and clean.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

Arbee88
    Hi, Arbee88

Thank you for your reply. I got a 2006 and I will go check out the link. One last thing, in the fues-box there is a HID slot. Do I need to do anything with that? Or just replace the head beam ones if they are under 20

Thank you, Bill
    Nothing to do..the wiring is very simple. All the power comes from the headlight connector. Just remember to turn your headlights off. Auto headlights are not recommended with HID add ons. I have done it several times using auto with no ill effects-maybe I was lucky? LOL The HID slot in the fuse box is for oem hids (available everywhere but in the US).

Good Luck...I am sure you will like them.

Arbee88
  • shalakoshalako Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know how to aim the HIGH BEAM
    headlights on a 2006 Hyundai Azera?
    Hi, Arbee88

Thank you for your reply. I checked the ebay store. They have a lot of options.
    For my 06 Azera, do I need a H7 kit?
    Should I pick 5000k if I want to see road brighter?
    They have a slim kit which says don't need drill hole/special tool, is that possiable?
    Also, they mentioned that I need to replace bulb every 5 years? Is that the same as the one you got?

Thank you, Bill
    Bill,

Reread my post to you, #227, it answers most of your questions.

It does not seem possible that you can get a kit that eliminates the holes needing to be drilled in the dust caps. Post the link to this kit, maybe you are misreading the info..maybe you do not need to drill holes to mount the ballasts.
    Hi, Arbee88

Thank you for your reply. Based on your post 227, I guess 5000k H7 kit will do.

Here is the link for the store. They mentioned that doesn't need any tool. Also by reply my question, the store owner's answer is "No drill hole needed".
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130157212162
    Also, the link also states that need to replace bulb every 5 years.

Thank you
    I took my car into the dealer a couple of weeks ago to have them look at the lights. I also took digital photos of the LEDs that were out and had them printed out and took them to the dealer with me. New light assemblies were ordered and I have an appointment next week for replacement.
    For all of you Azera owners, I was sitting at a stoplight over the weekend and saw a black Azera that also had some LEDs out on the trunk mounted tailights. You might want to take a look at yours. I don't want to start a frenzy here but it's one of those things that's hard to see since one hardly ever has a chance to see the back of their own car while they are driving it.
    I wanted to report that my new trunk mounted tailight assemblies came in and were installed yesterday, covered under warranty. How many automakers would do that? Great service once again from Suntrup Hyundai in St. Louis, Missouri.
    RE: 235
    Why would you expect the light replacement not to be covered under warranty?
  • prairiedog1prairiedog1 Member Posts: 8
    After taking my Azera into the dealer to find out why the ashtray light was not working they finally told me that there is no ashtray light in the Canadian models. With the ashtray in the position it is and not being able to see it at night I think it is a safety hazard. Smoking is bad I know but there are those of us that still smoke, and having to fumble around with a lit cigarette in the dark trying to find the ashtray at night on a busy highway is dangerous. So they leave the ashtray in and take out the light. I bought the car in daylight so I had no idea there was no light in the ashtray. They saved a few bucks on a bulb and a foot of wire. TAKE OUT THE ASHTRAY, MAKE IT AN OPTION, BUT DON”T TAKE OUT THE LIGHT AND LEAVE THE ASHTRAY IN.
  • sergio19sergio19 Member Posts: 90
    My car was bought in Canada and I have a light in my ashtray.
    That sounds bogus to me...
    Are there other Canadians out there who can assure me they have a light in the ashtray. I need to know so I can go back to the dealer with proof. Thanks.
    I took the liberty of taking these 3 pictures so you can see for yourself that there is indeed a light in the ashtray...Bring these pictures to your Hyundai dealer and shove it up your service mangers face.

I can't believe they said that to you!

This picture is taken with the flash on
    This is without the flash

Good luck and keep us posted.

Regards,
    Thanks sergio19, the pictures are great. I would like to hear from more Canadian Azera owners. The more proof I have that my car should have a light in the ashtray the better.
    RE: 241
    How much more proof would you need?
    I didn't expect it to not be covered under warrranty because of the Hyundai warranty. My Azera is a 2006, purchased in June of 2006. How many other automakers would warranty a tailight assemble after 15 months and 30K miles was my point.
    I suppose he is looking for all of the proof he can get, don't you think? That's necessary with some dealers.
    If the Azera has lighted ashtrays, as does mine, I don't believe any more proof is necessary. The Manager to whom he spoke was obviously misinformed about the absence of the light.
    sergio19 sent in pictures of his Azera with a light yet the dealer just phoned and told me that this light was not installed in the 07 Canadian Azera. He also went on to tell me that they must have used a different wiring harness than in the USA because the was not even a place to plug these lights into. Maybe sergio19 has a 06 Azera and that would explain it better. I really don't know what to believe.
    Based upon his most recent response apparently that's not correct.
    prairiedog,

My Azera is a 2006 model...Are you saying that the 2007 models removed the ashtray light?

That sounds ridiculous to me!
    I would be very surprised that Hyundai would go through the trouble of removing/changing wiring harness to remove a simple light.

I hope someone from Canada with a 2007 model can shed some "LIGHT" here.

Regards,
  • dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    Obviously, Hyundai offers different upgrade option packages for different worldwide markets. Backup & navi for the Korean (home) and Arab (export) markets. Not offering those two examples to the US to me means they were / are trying to maintain a "list" price point south of $30K.

To even think Korean exports to Canada would not include an astray light is absurb, unless of course Canada is a non smoking country.

The dealer is conning you, plain and simple.
    Obviously, Hyundai offers different upgrade option packages for different worldwide markets.

It seems you are right about the different options in different countries so no amount of evidence of what a U.S mraket Azera. has is going to change what a Canadian Azera has. Routing wiring to put that light in might no be worth the cost.
    The Ranger boat I owned had lights mounted in the cigarette lighters with switches to turn them on and off. That might be a cheaper solution to the issue.
  • rmcbainrmcbain Member Posts: 50
    Hi: I recently purchased a 2007 Azera and the drivers side driving light is not working. Has anyone ever removed the lihgt bulb and is it removed via the rear. It does not look like much room to get the bulb out. Any help or shoul d itake to the dealership as it should be under warranty as it only has 1300 miles on the car.
    Thanks
    RE: 251
    It is covered by warranty.Let them fix it.
  • ratledgeratledge Member Posts: 233
    From what I can find looking back here (not much talk in the past few months), I should have H1 high beams, H7 low beams and H11 fog lamps. Does that sound correct, folks? :confuse:
    I hate to double-post anything, but this fits well in both lighting and the '08 forum.

The owners' manual apparently went to print before the production started, which isn't unusual...

If you're not certain, pull the lamps out and look at them: H7 high beam bulbs, H11b (Osram-only?) low beams. I didn't try to pull the fogs since it's such a PIA, but they seem more than adequate as far as my limited three-days' experience goes. I would like to find a Narva "+50" replacement for the H11b's, though!
    Well, I consider Daniel to be pretty much an authority on the bulbs, and he states that the only way to know for certain exactly which bulbs you have in an '08 Azera is to physically inspect them, since there are three separate configurations that are used in the US market. Confusing? :confuse: Yeah...

He also tells me that there is no upgrade path for the Osram-only H11b part. You're only option is to whittle the socket off and replace with an H9 socket, which gives you 2100 candlepower vice the 1300 found in the H11b part. For the time being, I'm going to just be happy with what I've got, though I'm thinking about going to the H9 setup. :surprise:
    Does anyone know for certain what's in the darn thing? How about any easier way to get to them, for that matter? I took a good look and it appears that you have to muck with the bumper to really get at them - surely there is another way but I haven't been able to figure it out (but then again, I'm certainly not a mechanic!)...

By the way - there is a REALLY nice OSRAM replacement for the H7 bulbs in the high beams for '08 models (check before you assume - see previous post above) and both high/lows in the previous years' models: "Rallye 65 watt 'Ultra High Output'" which Daniel pointed out is a super-bright bulb that should cost you about $25-30 bucks each depending on where you find them. My vision for 75mph night driving is like night and day compared to the OEM (also OSRAM) bulb! It is also 2100 lumens as opposed to the standard 1400. Quite a step up! (might help those of you with the cut-off problem in the low beams on '06 and '07 models...)

Popping out both high and low beam bulbs and replacing them can be done in about 60 seconds with care, 30 seconds if you're in a hurry on the '08. I really don't know why the owners' manual suggests that you remove the entire assembly: they are EASILY popped out (and in) by simply twisting the cap 1/4 turn and flipping the clip.
This discussion has been closed.