Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV: Error Codes/TSBs/Recalls

2»

Comments

• subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Unreliable would mean that it has been out of service for failures or issues that impede operation. Recalls or Special Service Programs aren't indications of reliability. Also, the motor is a Ford Duratec, but the rest of the van is made in Japan, including the JATCO tranny.

-Brian
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    3 repairs in 6 years doesn't sound too bad to me.

I've been happy with my 04 MPV thus far.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • dannyyodannyyo Member Posts: 14
    I forgot to mention that when I got the warranty repair, they had to tow the minvan from my house to the dealer because it blew black smoke then died. My experience with Nissan Sentra and Honda Accord have been great, no issues at all until 100k. So in comparison MPV's been terrible. My wife and I thought about getting rid of it.

Brian, one of the mechanics that fixed the water pump told me that it was only designed by japan and all the mechanical part are US(ford) made.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    IIRC, the domestic content of the MPV as stated on the monroney sticker was maybe 1% or something low like that. The engines are Ford made and shipped to Japan, where the van is assembled. The motor parts are not direct Ford parts, but can be cross referenced and almost all the remaining motor parts are stamped with Made in Japan....

-Brian
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    IIRC, the domestic content of the MPV as stated on the monroney sticker was maybe 1% or something low like that.

Actually the domestic content is 21%... remember an engine is a pretty big part.

Per MPV sticker: U.S Canadian Parts Content: 21%
    Major Sources of Foreign Parts Content: Japan 78%

Which leaves 1% of parts unaccounted for... or missing. Maybe, that's why you are having problems with your MPV dannyyo? :P
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • dannyyodannyyo Member Posts: 14
    Ok...so my MPV is back home with me. The error codes where 0174 and 0171. My mechanic wasn't sure which part to replace because there were like 10 possibilities. So he suggested that I take it to a Mazda dealer to get a diagnotic test done. This dealer charges $145 just for the diag. They got a code of P0174 and recommended that I get the PCV hose replaced for a total cost of $338. I called my mechanic and he said just go ahead and do it with the dealer, although it'd only cost him $60 or so plus small labor to do it. At least I'll know for sure that it fixed the problem. I look at all my records and realized that I had the PCV hose replace once before through the Oct 2004 recall, but the part number was slightly different. Then I searched the net and discovered this http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=17546. Geez, I could have done it myself and saved couple of hundred bucks!!! Interesting what you find in the forums. At least next time I'll just pay my mechanic 100 bucks and it'll be okay. I'm pretty sure it'll go out again in about another 4 years. So far it's only lasted 4 years. Does anyone recommend buying your own diagnotic tool?
  • FaroesFaroes Member Posts: 6
    Did Mazda MPV Diesel have an IAC
    I have that problem, that the car is turn off after 5min, and I am waiting 30 sec. he turn on again.
    Everytime. I have change air-filter and fuel-filter. And local Mazda service now nothing. Help?
  • brazil69brazil69 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 Mazda MPV with 57,000K on it, recently my check engine light came on so I connected the OBD || tester and got an P0031 DTC, Result; H02S Heater Control Circuit Low Bank 1 Sensor 1. Question, Can some please tell me where is this sensor located? It's telling me is on the right side but I don't really know the exact location. :confuse:
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    2002 MPV w/ 119K miles. Owner asked if I would take a look at it. His complaint was that the engine would start stumbling badly and CEL. I drove it, and it drove just fine, but told him I would see what I could find.

The plugs were original and pretty burned up, so that was the first thing I changed. Cleared the codes, started right up, ran great for a few minutes, then dropped a cylinder. Couple of minutes later, dropped another. (4 and 6). I have rechecked the assembly (who in the sam hill came up with having to pull the top half of the intake to change the rear plugs???!!!) and everything is connected, nothing leaking, and the only code setting is P0300. I am about ready to send him to a dealer or independent with better diagnostic software, but thought I would throw this one out there to see if you guys have seen a trend.

Most of my tech support is over in the Blazer forums, but figured I would try to look at this since it is a Ford engine.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
  • budmantombudmantom Member Posts: 33
    My guess is coils, probably one or more of the back three.

I know you can buy the coils on ebay on the cheap.

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=17565&highlight=coils

It could also be a pcv hose, the hose is about $60 from the dealer and install is about $40.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Well, I am an idiot. Fortunately, somebody (forget the name, but you know who you are and if we ever meet, I owe you a beer) documented this same repair with very good photos. I went through the whole process for the ump-teenth time, and everything was as it should be.

That is, until I looked at the routing of the front bank coil harness. It doesn't do a sequential route like the rear bank. It comes across the valve cover and in between 5 and 6. Who knows why, but it does, and I got 4 and 6 swapped. :confuse:

Anyway, while fixing that, I found another problem and fixed it. The retention tab on the #5 coil was broken, and the connector was loose on the coil. Couple of ty-wraps later and it is snug as a bug. And the engine runs sweet and sets no codes.

But I am not doing another one of these beasties if I can help it. Pulling the plenum just to get to the plugs is just wrong. :shades:
  • anthonybooneanthonyboone Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know where to find the plugin for the code reader on a 1991 MPV? I've looked both under the dash and all under the hood and can't seem to find it.
  • mpvhatermpvhater Member Posts: 1
    i took the van in to the shop because bad performance when cold, after 10 miles it runs like a champ, if you stop and turn it off for 30min to an hour it runs like crap, then after app 10 miles runs like a champ, we have replaced the bad intake gaskets upper and lower, still no response, replaced coil, no response, took the intakes back off for soaking with chemical, then put it back together again, still no response, still missing, changed plugs, changed wires, still no response, now it shows low compression on #1 back next to fire wall, app 90 lbs, so i would assume we need to a 1000 dollar valve job, does anyone know what the hell ford/mazda has done to these engines, i know they say the intake gaskets were faulty from factory, but just issued new ones to replace them with it, seems a lot of people have the same problem, i would say to all people to have compression test done on the engine before you spend 2-3000 dollars on these vehicles. if anyone can tell me why this happened and how i would like to know. thanks
    hello mpvhater

Is it a diesel engine
  • aa0526aa0526 Member Posts: 29
    I have the following codes showing:
    P0300 - random multi misfire detected
    P2404 - evaporative system leak detection
    P0113 - intake air temp sensor 1/ circuit high
    P0421 - warm up catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 1
    This happens only when the weather is below freezing. Engine sluggish / hesitates.
    This completely resolves itself when weather warms up.
    What could be going wrong?
    My theory is - the O2 sensors front (1) and back (4) are fouled up for some reason. But I could be wrong.
    Anyone has clues about the root cause?
This discussion has been closed.