Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick LeSabre Transmission

2»

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Most people say just the opposite. The 4-speed is long lived. I had a 93 with no problems, 150K. I have a 98 with 168,000. I have an 03 with 92,000.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• softballpapasoftballpapa Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used 2000 Lesabre with 111,000 miles on it. When I have car in overdrive I get a whining noise. I don't think it shifts properly into overdrive so I drive it in 3rd gear. only whines when I am in overdrive about 50 miles per hour and higher. Is this a serious problem or do you know of easy fix. also I have a oil leak coming from top of engine. do you know of problem with gaskets on this model. engine is a 3800 V6 I don't know transmission style. Thanks for your help, Softballpapa
  • wheeldealswheeldeals Member Posts: 5
    I would take my car to a transmission repair garage and have them check the whine. It may be a cheap fix if caught soon enough. Cars are like our bodies, the sooner you treat a problem the better.
    At 10 years, the leak is probably your valve covers.
    Jim
  • nosfurought2nosfurought2 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 97 Lesabre with 113K. It has traction control. When I begin cruising at freeway speeds, there seems to be a hesitation in shifting, most noticable with going uphill. also, when in cruise control, more adverse reaction, engine will idle up several thousand RPMS without shifting. I was going to experiment with taking it off traction control and hadnt had time to check it. Wondering if it is computer/cruise control issues or tranmission or a combination.
    thanks
    I don't believe the 97 leSabre has traction control. It has antilock brakes.

In the rest of your post, I believe you're describing when the load on the car gets greater such as a hill, the transmission doesn't downshift from 4th into 3rd. That is normal. At 65 mph it will cruise at 1800 rpm or some number close to that on the tachometer. When the load increases gradually, the torque converter will unlock and the engine speeds up several hundred rpm depending on how much extra throttle has been applied. The extra engine speed usually gives enough extra power to maintain speed even in 4th gear. But applying the throttle gently might not get the results you want. What you can do is just move the shift lever to 3 and the transmission will downshift to 3rd and rev the engine a little more and have substantially more power. You do NOT need to undo the cruise control to do this. After the load is over just shift back into 4th or OD.

I believe the computer learns driving patterns. If you continually do rapid starts and higher throttle acceleration, the engine and transmission shifting are adjusted to expect to do what the driver indicates. So the car may learn your driving if you do want a more showy or brisk driving style. That may, may affect how the car does the slow acceleration when climbing a noticeable hill in 4th gear. Remember the car has been generally calibrated to get 29 mpg overall. Many people can get 32-33 driving interstate speeds on trips. Staying in 4th gear helps the economy.

• bob252bob252 Member Posts: 48
    Well I hope you do not continue this procedure, I would suggest changing the fluid and especially the filter inside of the transmission. When the fluid thins out it can get by the filter that is why I am guessing that is what you have for this problem. Quite simply pull the transmission dipstick and smell the fluid, check the color to see if it is still a pinkish or reddish color, that is the dead giveaway. If you continue what you are doing and the fluid is bad you will most certainly finish off what is left of the trans. if you are mechanicaly inclined it is not really a bad job to do, the only trick you need to know here is to remove the splash guard from the starter to get the pan off easily, it is a dirty but simple job.
  • rcrtjrcrtj Member Posts: 1
    Codes say solenoid but; 1-if manual downshift to 1st when stopped appears to start in 1st but may hestitate before so; 2-if manual downshift to 1st when stopped and then select D it starts is in 3rd gear i.e. not downshifted;3-if manual downshift to 1st when moving and put in D from stop all ok, that is it starts in 1st and upshifts normal. Appears solenoids are functioning but not always getting signal to downshift while running or at a stop. Last, this has been intermittant and has become morethe case than not recently? Estimate to replace solenoids $900 and may not be the real cause?? ideas? sensors?
  • niceride3niceride3 Member Posts: 17
    The bucking might be the tranny can't make up its mind to get out of OD or locked torque convertor(?). Someone on this forum recommnended the use of an additive to reduce the shuddering/bucking.
    Mine was giving me a rough shift from 1st to 2nd at times. Not all the time.
    My mechanic changed the fluid and gave the tranny a good flush $110.00 and shifts smoothly now. He said the fluid was past its time for changeout. 77K on vehicle. :D

fred
    WOW 29MPG???? I wish!! I had my LeSabre on cruise (around 70mph) on a 300mi trip and and the Fuel Economy computer read 24.2 avg.
    I have a '97 Regal that gets 27-30 mpg same 3.8L engine as my 2003 LeSabre.
    Just had Plugs and wires changed, nothing special OEM stuff. 78K mi.

Fred
  • bposhkabposhka Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 lesabre with 150 k miles. Has never had any problems and i have had it and taken very well care of it since 40k miles. But one day out the blue my trans strted shifting hard and when i took off it shimmed real bad then finally went in gear, then when i slowed down and went out of gear and the fluid was black so was told the trans went out. So got a used one put in and the car ran fine for a day then started shimmying when i tokk off only when it got warm and would have a delayed [non-permissible content removed] and slame into gear. But checked everything fluid level was fine and fluid was still good. So took it back and they put another used one in and after a day it started doing the same thing. So was wondering if i just keep getting bad trans or if it could be something else?
  • stcalstcal Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    I have a 2000 Le Sabre custom with 205,000 miles on it. It was bought new by my mother and at 166,000 miles the transmission went out and she had it rebuilt and has had no problems with it. She then bought a new car and for awhile (about 6 months) the Buick sat undriven. I got the car on the road about a week ago. The first few days I had no problems with it. I changed the oil And the car runs good except around the 2nd or 3rd day on take off at a traffic light the car revved up and then jerked into 1st gear. it has been doing this since. It does it about 3-4 times a day. the fluid level is right and it is still reddish in color and doesn't look dirty or burnt. Then the other day it did the same hesitation/jerking into gear while going down the road on level ground, shifting from 2nd into third, and had done that about 3 times. It only seems to have this problem after the car is warmed up. It isn't overheating and runs good otherwise.The computer does have some sort of problem though because the service engine light, ABS, and brake light stays on all the time. These lights have been doing that since the transmission was rebuilt. I called the people that rebuilt the transmission and he told me to add a whole quart of transmission fluid even though it looks full when I check it. It has the 3800 V6 engine in it and I added half a quart of trans. fluid but it still is jerking into 1st and occasionally slips when going from 1-2 or 2-3 gear.It doesn't do this all the time but seems to be getting worse or more often. the transmission rebuild was in 2006 and the rebuilt transmission has around 40,000 miles on it. Does this sound like I just need to change the fluid and filter or does it sound like a sensor problem of some kind? any advice would be appreciated and I know I need to get this problem resolved ASAP, before it ruins transmission plus I'm not working with much money as I am unemployed at the time.Thanks in advance. stcal.
    Your problem is the service engine light and possibly related to the ABS and brake light. Something was done wrong or not hooked up when the transmission was done.

Get that fixed first. Transmission most likely is not the problem. You can't tell until the engine is running right.

• joshlin1932joshlin1932 Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2010
    Can you tell me if the transmission, including the torque converter from a 1996 Park Avenue will fit into a 2000 Lesabre. Both have the 3.8 V-8 Engine?

Same question regarding the catillac converter.
  • canyonmanterrycanyonmanterry Member Posts: 1
    the car go fine tell i'm going up a hill i push on the accelerator to keep in speed but it will drop down to 1800 rpm's so it slows to 35 mph and take some time to build up speed again. i'm no machanic.the mechanic at a aamco shop to replace a computer module is going to cost me $2000 to replace it what up on that also where is the module is it attached to the driver side fender?
    Your question is one to which I don't have the answer. But I can help you find an answer, I hope.

Try searching for car-parts.com and look for your 2000 leSabre transmission. Let is search and come up with the years that it offers as interchangeable. Go through the list and see if any include a 1996 Park Avenue listed as a replacement from a junked vehicle.

Or go to rockauto.com and search for transmission. I don't know if they deal in large parts or not. Then click on the part number, which will be blue, and a box will pop up with all others that use the same transmission.

Best would be to consult an expert in replacing them. I have noticed some Bonneville people posting about changing transmissions that fit but have a different gear ratio in the final drive, e.g. Then adapting them is a problem.

I would ask a transmission shop that does replace transmissions from junkyards and ask what are the possibilities.

See if any of those work for you. Otherwise email me at my email in my profile (click on my user name and go to my carspace page).

• joshlin1932joshlin1932 Member Posts: 14
    You are so nice and such a help. I shall try those things. It sure sounds like one of the has promise. Thanks!
  • locksmittylocksmitty Member Posts: 2
    1995 Buick Lesabre 3800
    154,000 miles

Problem:
    When it sits overnight or for a long time the tranny will not engage until I drop it into 1st. then when it engages in 1st. I put it into reverse or drive and then it works perfect from then on.

I changed the fluid and filter but it still acts up.

I'm hoping it's not the converter.

Thanx, Rick
    I had that happen in my 2003. I thought it was from a cold start and I didn't wait for all of the lights to go out on the dash. You know, that computer stuff, still checking itself out.
    Another time it was after a long drive and we arrived at the motel and putting in reverse the tranny wasn't engaged and revving the engine up revealed a clunk and then the tranny engaged.
    This was after a fluid change. Vehicle has 83K. It happens sporadically. I guess it's hinting of something coming for the future. This line of Buick seems prone to transmission failure.
    Before the fluid change the tranny would shift, sometimes, rough 1st to 2nd. Since the fluid change nice shifting all the time now. Good firm shift.
    Fred
    edited March 2010
    How many miles did the transmission have on it before the first fluid change you mentioned? I suspect something in the way of sediment or sludging may be affecting a part of the control valves. Someone familiar with the transmission could probably tell you exactly which part based on your symptoms. I can't.

What fluid did you use for the change? The new Dexron VI is a synthetic or synthetic blend that can be used for the newer transmissions. You might have another fluid change done and see if additional new cleaners in the fluid help cleanup what I suspect may be something restricting a valve from moving. Realize I may be wrong.

The rough 1-2 shift may be a pressure control module. Some of those seem to not work properly in the 4T65E's lately. Turning the car off and restarting usually changes whatever didn't work right and the shifts are smoother.

>This line of Buick seems prone to transmission failure.

The 4-speed transmissions in Buicks have been considered very reliable. I have to disagree with your statement. IF you think they're not, I recommend buying a Honda (they have a history of trans problems, with extended warranties, replacements that fail, etc. See an odyssey transmission discussion for examples of their current problem area).

Edit. I just realized I didn't ask a relevant question. Did you have the fluid drained and the filter replaced? OR did you have a flush performed where they just connect hoses and pump fluid with a strong cleaner in it through the transmission?

• locksmittylocksmitty Member Posts: 2
    Well I bought this car with 125,000 miles on it and had it changed then by a mechanic.

This last time I did it myself, fluid and filter. I forget what fluid I used.

I thought it was just cuz it was cold out thats why it was acting up.

I changed it to be sure and the fluid looked nice not burned or terribly discolored.

Thanx, Rick
  • stcalstcal Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, I didn't know that the ABS, brake, and service engine light wasn't on all the time until Mom told me that they weren't staying on all the time until the mechanic at the transmission shop she took it to rebuilt the transmission for $1700.00. Do I need to take it to the Buick dealer or just find a good mechanic? which is hard to find. The gas needle doesn't work either. it says it's full then when it's almost out of gas it will go from full to empty and the low fuel light comes on. I don't know if the people that worked on the transmission messed that up too. Thanks for advice.
  • aj0220aj0220 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    I own a 2001 Buick LeSabre with 43,000 miles. I first noticed the transmission would sometimes jump a bit when switching gears at around 25-30 mph. This was a few months ago and it was not an every day problem. A dash light appeared about a month ago after a rain. I took the car to parts store and the employee attached a computer which indicated a Torque Circuit Converter or TCC switch as being a possible problem. I read on another website that the dash light would sometimes go off after drying out from the rain, and it did. Now the car in Drive will run up to about 25 or 30 mph or maybe about 3000 rpms and then the gears will disengage. When a certain speed is reached, the car will stop moving forward as if the car is in neutral, and the tachometer will advance rapidly until I stop depressing the accelerator. The gears will only re-engage when I coast down to about 5 mph or restart from a complete stop. I checked the transmission fluid according to the owner's manual. The fluid level is okay, and the fluid looks light pink on a white paper towel. Could the transmission still be under warranty? The car is in very good condition otherwise. I cringe at the thought of spending $2000 on this. Is there a government website where I can register my problem and see how many others have had similar problems?
  • janquejanque Member Posts: 2
    sounds like torque converter lock up - tcc . have you local tech. check to see if you are having a tcc soleniod failure - that would cause the jerk at that speed. hope that helps
  • abbyjohnabbyjohn Member Posts: 2
    May be two separate problems? or related?
    (1) when coming to a stop, hear a "clunk" sound, like a downshift;
    (2) just before automatic shift to 1st, feels like a vacuum "whoosh".
    Will changing transmission fluid help? Is transmission getting ready to have to be replaced? Thanks for any help.
    Hard to talk about sounds from a distance. Does it sound like the case of the transmission with the motor attached hitting on metal? Motor mount? Transmission mount?

Does it sound like it's internal to the transmission--then you need to ask an expert.

Don't understand what you mean "automatic shift to 1st"? Do you mean starting from a dead stop and the transmission is going to shift from 1st to 2nd?

• abbyjohnabbyjohn Member Posts: 2
    I meant like after a red light, and starting to drive again, and about after 10 to 15 mph when car is ready to shift into next gear, so I guess I meant shifting to 2nd.

The "whoosh" sound doesn't sound like hitting on metal, more like a vacuum line sound.

Thanks.
  • ibdamanibdaman Member Posts: 2
    (94-Buick Le Sabre)Three times on the scanner @ 75 a pop..have replaced all the required code parts..no codes show and CK engine light is still on..also rough driving /sputtering at 40 mph..What is the problem?
    edited October 2010
    No idea for sure. But, I follow the Bonneville discussions and several have found problems with CPUs on 94 and 95s. They often have multiple codes however...

The odd thing is no codes but the CEL is on...

Hmmm.

Spark plugs and wires in good shape?
    Coils?
    Either should be giving codes for misfire based on the description you're giving. No codes, thought.

Do you know anyone with the same car that you can switch computers with?

• dj1027dj1027 Member Posts: 1
    Im having the exact same problems with my buick lesabre. Were you able to solve your problem? If yes, what steps or repairs did you have to make to have the car fixed?
    edited January 2011
    How many miles?
    How many times have the fluid and filter been changed in those miles?

If you are getting a sensation of excess movement in the trans and engine unit, you may have a motor/transmission mount that has gone bad.
    You also might have a problem with a pressure control unit inside.

It needs to be driven by experts that you trust not to rip you off or sell you extra stuff trying to "guess" at the solution.

A parts store desk clerk using an electronic reader won't know--theirs don't read transmission codes, if any, in most cases. The one I had on loan from a box store didn't.

• cruz2farcruz2far Member Posts: 1
    When stopped at light or any other stop, car goes into neutral at times. If you put it in neutral and then back to drive, it will move forward normally. Sometimes it does this 4 or 5 times during a short trip and then acts normal. Once recently, on a hill I stopped and when pushing the gas, the car started to roll backwards and would not go forward but eventually, it moved forward.
    Recently had the system "pressure" removal of all old trans fluid which mechanic said was very dirty. (car has 96,000 and original fluid at that time). Mechanic did not drop pan and replace filter. Need some advice please.
  • i10dopezonei10dopezone Member Posts: 5
    1995 buick lesabre, when i start to drive when it goes to second gear, it feels like it kinda jumps then the whole car vibrates till it shifts again then drives fine, it only happens when i start to drive and when it shifts to second, any ideas
  • buick7buick7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1992 it has 230.000 miles factory everything except battery and brakes!! I know this cause my grandpa bought it new it shifts good runs good looks good its almost 21 a Buick transmission lasts a long time if you take care of it we did the car never been over 80 at 22 my tranny is starting to feel weak but its smooth so my guess is oxygen sensor or tranny sensor ( and being old!!) Anyway its a dependable car its been running everyday fir 20 years I'm afraid the parts are gonna die completely at once real soon LOL ;) my Buick is named the Buick that wont break down
  • majordadsagemajordadsage Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 LeSabre that I bought a couple of weeks ago. It has 23K miles on it and looks almost new. The previous owner had the transmission serviced prior to listing the car. It drove fine when we picked it up and does great most of the time. However, sometimes in the morning it shifts hard when I leave our housing addition. It does fine backing out of the driveway but, when I pull out on the highway, it sometimes shifts hard. After we drive it for a while, it is fine and we really don't have any issues. Occasionally it will downshift kind of hard but not very often at all. I checked the fluid level and it was a little low. I added Lucas Transmission Fix to bring the level up to where it is ok on the dipstick. I thought it was doing better but, this morning it shifted hard leaving the addition. I really think it has something to do with sitting over night and the cool temps. Anyway, I am considering taking it back in to my mechanic, having the transmission serviced again but this time, I am going to have him add some Sea Foam additive.

Any thoughts out there on what might be the problem. I am thinking a sticky valve??
    What fluid was added when the service was done. I assume the service was a drop pan and change filter and refill with 6 quarts? It wasn't a "flush"?

I personally would use the Mercon/Dexron fluid of a name brand from Walmart. Some would suggest using the Dexron VI which is more synthetic in nature. I did that and took it out after some months and refilled with the Dexron/Mercon which replaces DexronIII.

Rather than adding additives, I would let the fresh additives in the new fluid dissolve what it was to free up anything that is being affected by sludging or sediment. I would run about 5000 miles, use the hand pump from Harbor Freight that's on sale for 6.99 at times with coupon or use the 20% off coupons they put out. Suck out 6 quarts through the diptube. Then refill to the mark warm idling with the Dexron/Mercon. And I'd repeat that over and over as long as it doesn't get worse.

:D It is a 2000 LeSabre with only has 23K miles on it and it runs great and shifts smooth. The only issue I have is in the morning (usually a cool morning) it hesitates when I leave our housing addition. There is no problem leaving our driveway but, when pulling out on the hwy it sometimes hesitates. If I let it warm up and go through the gears before leaving the house, no problem but, if I don't, it will hesitate pulling out on the hwy. There is a bit of a slope at the hwy. The fluid level is in the XXX area and the fluid was just changed about a month ago. I have owned the car for about 2 1/2 weeks. I added some Lucas Transmission Fix about 1 1/2 wks ago.

I don't think I have a serious problem but, I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem and what they did, if anything, to fix it. :)
    edited November 2012
    I had this problem on a 1994 Le Sabre and the transmission failed but it had 89K miles on it. If I were you I would not hesitate taking it to a reliable mechanic. Better safe than sorry. A rebuilt transmission is $1,800 to $2,200 depanding on who you take it to.
    I appreciate your response. It has been 10 days since my first post. I have driven the buick a lot the last week and a half. I let my vehicles warm up in the morning and that seems to make a big difference for this buick. The problem has gone away. I think it just needed to be driven. The Lucas Transmission Fix seems to have done the trick.

The car is running great, looks great, and the transmission is working fine.
    I would assume the original transmission fluid, Dexron III, is in there. I assume there is some sediment or sludge giving some stickiness. I don't like additives unless it's a do or die effort.

If it were mine, I'd buy some Dexron/Mercon at Walmart, any major brand, and suction out the six quarts of fluid through the dipstick with a hand pump from Harbor Freight. Then replace the six quarts with the same fluid as original. This would take out half of whatever the Trans Fix dissolved and half o the Trans Fix. It would put in fresh additives in the fresh Dexron III fluid you put in. I'd drive it 5000 miles or more and then drop pan, and change filter, and refill with 6 quarts. You'd have only about 1/4 of the original fluid left in the transmission.

I would not use the Dexron VI fluids.

• carmike10carmike10 Member Posts: 1
    sounds like your car may have a carbon build up in the throttle body .take off and see ..that causes those problems of going into second engine is trying to stay alive so it idles ..also check your EGR sensor and egr tube ..it does not sound like transmission...
  • dbaurerdbaurer Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 LaSabre with 181,000 miles. It has the original 3.8 liter engine and the original transmission. I’m hearing a thud sound (it sounds like hitting a bump in the road) and it feels like there is a loss of power for just an instant. This has happened at slow speeds, highway speeds (70 mph) and while accelerating. The cv joint “seems” OK as there is no unusual sound or feel when shifting from park to reverse or forward.

Many thanks for any ideas.
    Check your transmission mounts.
    Your description isn't enough. This is something that depends on the feel of what happens when that thud sensation occurs. Do you feel it in the steering wheel? In the floor?

I'd vote for checking movement in the transmission/engine mounts. Raising the hood and gently acceleration in reverse and forward with the brake on will normally show some movement up and down in the front and back of the motor. If it's a lot (hard to define that) and if you hear sounds when it's moving you might want to have the mounts checked further.

Because you say it seems to lose power for a second but recovers makes me think there's a misfire. The thud might be movement in the engine as it loses power and maybe even too much movement due to a worn mount.

I would check for the plugs and wires. How's the maintenance been? When were they last changed? I had a new set of wires and plugs on a 3100 Buick. After a while I got a repeated hard miss. A single miss under just the right amount of load: just a little uphill where I applied just a little more gas or the cruise did. That's the highest requirement for the spark in the cylinder. The spark was jumping to the metal shield that surrounds the plug wire part that goes onto the plug. But my replacement wires weren't quite compatible and the metal shield was too close to the metal of the engine and there an arcing through the wire to the metal to the engine.

The engine never misfired twice. It seemed like it adapted the mixture to cure the misfire. So I'm wondering if your loss of power is the computer adapting to the misfire.

An old rule is that lots of transmission problems are actually engine driveability problems.

Does the Traction Control system or Stabilitrak give a message on the Driver Information Center that it has kicked in? That might give the sensation that power has been reduced if one of the brakes is being applied by pulsing in order to keep the car from twisting if the Stabilitrak system thinks the car is skidding or a drive wheel is slipping and it applies the brake to try to keep traction on the other wheel instead of the one it thinks is slipping under acceleration.

A sensor for yaw in the Stabilitrak or a speed sensor on the wheel might be giving a bad reading, either due to a worn hub bearing or bad connection at the clip or a break in a wire.

I have a 1999 LeSabre that's doing that right now. It's a transmission mount. The check for a broken motor mount won't work for the transmission. It may be a different problem but I would check the cheapest one first.
  • dbaurerdbaurer Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much for the tip. I'll have the mounts checked.
  • oscottooscotto Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 lesabre that is using transmission fluid. I go through about a pint of fluid every 100 miles, there are no visible leaks and I cant figure out where its going or why. I have checked the trans seals for leaks and the pcv valve to see if there were any signs of fluid, none. There isn't any getting into the radiator via the cooler either. can anyone give me any suggestions?
    edited September 2013
    Without checking my factory service manual for the 93 I had, isn't there a vacuum module on the transmission for shift adaptation? Those can leak and fluid can be sucked into the tube and burned through the intake manifold on the engine. So no drips.

Look for a modulator about the size of a small fist on the outside of the trans with a vacuum line.

Part #32 in this diagram.
    Check vacuum line to it for fluid.
    About $15
    Check rockauto.com
    Good luck.

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/images/parts/gm/fullsize/920520GM04-398.JPG

• My 92 Buick lesabre limited will barely move in drive but when i drop it in 1st it goes no problem manually shift into 2nd and it does the same as drive rpms go up also any ideas would be great