Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester vs Mazda CX-7

rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
edited March 2014 in Subaru
Folks, I think this new Mazda CX-7 could cause real problems for the Forester (and Tribeca). Besides being great looking, the AWD version starts at $26,010—and that's with a 244 HP turbo engine!

Check it out:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee8e90f

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=upcomingCX7

I sure hope Subaru has an answer for this new vehicle—and soon...

Bob

Comments

• lfdallfdal Member Posts: 679
    Yup, this looks like a potential Forester killer. Now its going to be purely a matter of brand loyalty and negative / positive dealer experiences. The price is basically a wash and they offer some very nice option packages.

Larry
  • dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    I've been eying the CX-7 and its concept predecessor (the MX-Crossport)for several months now, and it looks to be a serious threat to both the Forester and Tribeca, with major cross-over appeal in a true Goldilocks sense - not to big, not to small, but "just right."

You forgot to mention the six-speed transmission, especially when Subaru's not even giving the auto Forester (not even the FXT) five speeds! Not to mention the manu-matic tranny.

On a separate note, it looks like Mazda out-did Toyota when it came to the rear lift tailgate and under-cargo spare tire.

I'll have to see it in person, but it's already got me wondering how much my 06 FXT would trade for (ok, not really. well maybe a little.)

Doug
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    It's lacking a manual tranny, so that will eliminate a few customers.

The big thing here is that it just looks "right." I find it to be very attractive, and I think a lot of others will too. On the flip side, the swoopy styling will mean it's not as functional in terms of carrying stuff that a boxy design (Forester) would be.

Bob
  • losthat1losthat1 Member Posts: 93
    JMHO---ugly, ugly, ugly inside and out. :P
  • smittynycsmittynyc Member Posts: 289
    Agreed -- I fully understand the Forester's style is retrograde and aging (gracelessly) by the day, but I would not even consider buying a vehicle that looks like this Mazda, just based on my from-the-gut aesthetic response.
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

I'm not sure that it would appeal to the same buyer profile. It looks quite nice but very car derivative, whereas the Forester has a definitely more rugged appeal.

Cheers

Graham
  • kumarikumari Member Posts: 72
    I checked out the new Maxda and it is GORGEOUS, however, the stated gas mileage is less than that on the Forester (and we know they are all off by a few MPG to begin with), so it's not really a comparable car to the CRV, RAV4 and Forester, IMO. I liken it more to a Honda Pilot or the Toyota Highlander or the new crossover that Acura is coming out with.

I will, however, test drive it when it comes out, just to compare.

Thanks for the tip,

Samantha
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    The rear corner vision looks horrible, worse than a Tribeca!
  • dt63944dt63944 Member Posts: 66
    The CX7 suffers from what most cars of it's type do: poor vision on the rear left and right. The Forester has virtually no blind spots and that's a good feeling when driving.
    It's bad but not likely worse than the Tribeca.

I see this as a serious Forester XT competitor.

Bob
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    "I sure hope Subaru has an answer for this new vehicle—and soon...

Bob"

Just curious, why do you "hope" that Subaru has an answer for the new Mazda? I own a Forester and am very happy with it, but I'd never "hope" that Forester remains the best car for me indefinitely, I'd just buy the best car for my needs at the time, whatever that may be.

Unless you work for the company, "hoping" that they remain competitive seems kind of like rooting for your favorite sports team. Great for sports, not as understandable for a consumer purchase.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    that's just it--Subaru is like a sports team for many of us. We made a commitment to them and want them to suceed. Irrational? Yes. Dull? No.

John
    John is right. Many of us are Subie-philes, so we we root for our favorite brand, that being Subaru. BTW, I too have a Forester (actually it's the wife's).

Bob
    That's what I was referring to in my previous post when I commented on brand loyalty. If you find a brand you're very happy with, at least in my case, I'll try to find one of that brand's models for a new car before I look elsewhere.

We currently own 2 Subaru's - an 03 OBW and an 04 FXT.

I like the styling of the OBW and think it feels sturdier than the FXT, but it has a terrible case of piston slap. If that was the only Subaru we owned, it would guaranteed be the LAST one we owned.

On the other hand, despite a couple of quirks, I'm as happy with my FXT as the day I drove it off the lot, especially with the few simplistic mods I made to the car.

Bottom line for me is that the only Subarus I'd consider would either have the H6 or the semi-closed deck design of the FXT's H4.

But quite frankly I had better luck with dealer support from Lincoln-Mercury with the 4 Sables I owned.

Larry
  • losthat1losthat1 Member Posts: 93
    Wow-one of the reasons we switched from Volvo and Infiniti to Subaru was the fantastic dealer support and the fair pricing for service! In New England the competion must keep them on their toes!

We own three Subies and love them! :)
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    I agree I own a Forester and for me to switch it would have to have a GOOD track record and it then would still need to win me over and I dont see that happening with the Mazda. Oh by the way your right HOPE IS NOT A STRATEGY..... MATT
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    HOPE IS NOT A STRATEGY

You choose a stragegy based on logic, reason and maybe enough facts - then you hope it's the right strategy! ;)

tidester, host
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Funny no one has mentioned reliability. The Forester has a proven track record.
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    The Forester has a proven track record.

glad to see people taking it off the street and doing that stuff on the track. but what is foresters street record like :P
    Are you talking about the Mazda or the Tribeca........ :)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I love how it looks, it's just stunning, best looking SUV on the road IMO. They price it lower than I expected, too, enough that I would consider one. I'm sure the Limited models will add a couple of grand, so prices should fall between the Forester and Tribeca.

Subaru could counter with a LWB Forester, a Grand Forester, that would have a bigger interior.

But the CX-7 is more likely to go after 5-passenger Tribeca buyers due to the progressive styling.

The 2.3l is a Mazda mill and has done well, but the turbo and direct injection are basically new. It's de-tuned from the engine in the MazdaSpeed6, though. The AWD is also not as sophisticated (Haldex, part-time).

Still, looks good. Competition improves the breed.

-juice
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Saw my first CX-7. Guess I was underwhelmed. Of course, the Forester is nothing to look at either. I have a feeling real world gas mileage would be in the same league as the RDX, which can be dismal to say the least. Was never hot on Mazda.

I somewhat disagree with the comments on brand loyalty. I like to move on in my cars. Even when I'm happy with a make/model, I move to a different manufacturer. Exceptions: Ford (2 cars and no more), Nissan (3 cars and no more), Toyota (2 cars). Subaru, BMW and Honda I can see buying again.
  • massdem68massdem68 Member Posts: 2
    Was in the market this mo for a new car - tested CRV, RAV4, CX7 and Forester. All different vehicles, but the look of the CX7 beats all - just a sucker for Mazda's "soul of a sports car" shtick. Nicely appt'd, love the look of the cockpit, radio controls on wheel; had a bit more end sway than any of the others. Premium fuel a real turn-off. In the end, I had to consider price. Comparably equipped - CRV and RAV4 21K, CX7 24K, Forester 19K. Went with the Subie. Maybe when replacing the family car, and the CX has been out for a while...
    Congrats. The Forester X is a great value, they cost less than my 1998 Forester L did ($19,300 in August '98), despite lots more content.

-juice
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    just a sucker for Mazda's "soul of a sports car" shtick

Mazda's Zoom Zoom ads have the opposite effect on me. IRC the 1st featured the Tribute running with a group of Miatas. All I could think was get real! It's a friggin rebadged Ford Escape for heaven's sake! Now if Porsche did a similar ad with the Cayenne and the 911 then I'd find it a lot more credible ;)

-Frank
    I wouldn't.

Why?

The Cayenne is built on a VW sourced platform (Touareg).

The V6 engine is VW's 3.6l as well.

It's a transverse, front-mounted V6, rather than Porsche's typical rear/mid longitudinal boxer engine.

Fact is, the Subaru B9 Tribeca is closer to a real Porsche than the Cayenne is. At least the engine is a boxer and it's mounted longitudinally.

OK, it's like a Porsche driven in reverse, but still. :D

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Are you sure about that transverse? I'm fairly certain the Cayenne, Toregue and Q7 all have long. mounted engines although I haven't seen the V6 in them.

I drove the Cayanne and found it to be ok but nothing to write home about. Also the car was significantly wider outside than it was inside so there was a lot less room than you'd expect from the outside dimensions.

-mike
    Who knows, Kia and Hyundai actually put an engine cover on that makes it look longitudinal even though they're transverse!

I'll pop the hood next time I see one.

-juice
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I'm fairly certain the Cayenne, Toregue and Q7 all have long. mounted engines

That is correct.
This discussion has been closed.