Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick LaCrosse Electrical/Lighting Problems

celsercelser Member Posts: 1
edited December 2017 in Buick
Tried to take delivery of a 2006 lacrosse. It wouldn't start, dead battery. Been back to dealer 5 times--bad ground, faulty parts--after 90 days with the car at the dealer 11 days, the car still dies. Electrical problem seem to have some connection to the cruise control which has never worked. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Comments

• lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Was just talking with my mother and she said twice now the dash panel lights have gone out on her brand new Lacrosse. She took it to the dealer and of course, they couldn't duplicate the problem. Told her next time it happens, drive right to the dealer. Probably a loose connection but pretty annoying in a car that's only a month old.
  • jmw4jmw4 Member Posts: 67
    I for one have not heard of any electrical issues. I am one year and 10,000 miles into a trouble free ownership experience.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Just a guess.

My 2000 Buick Regal had a problem with cruise control. It did not work when the car was delivered. Dealer replaced a switch in the steering column, and I had no problems since.

It is the complicated electrical switch with the multifunction stalk that controls the turn signals, whippers, cruise control, and the windshield washing fluid. GM uses it for many years, with many different cars, and the LaCrosse stalk looks the same as the Regal one.

Everything complicated tend to be defective. The problem with the design is well known, but it does not happen often. My dealer did not carry the switch and had to order it. The part itself used to cost about $350 in 2000, and it took several hours of labor to replace it. Fortunately, under warranty.

In your case it can be an electrical current leak at the switch, in addition to the inoperative cruise control.
  • wilitrunwilitrun Member Posts: 1
    On three occasions my 2005 LaCrosse Theft Deterrent System has come on, the horn blowing and the lights flashing, even though the car is not locked and no one is near it. This happened twice when it was parked in my garage with the garage door closed. Does any body know the reason?
  • benzgolfbenzgolf Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 cxs purchased Sep 2005. At times the dash panel lights do not light when car is started. The lioghts will come back on after 20 seconds to 5 minutes. I intend to take it to the dealer.
  • kairnskairns Member Posts: 8
    I just purchased a pre-owned 2005 Allure (Canadian version of the Lacrosse)and was wondering how to access the trunk should the electric trunk release fail. I don't have the split folding rear seats and there is no trunk lock to use a key in.

Anyone have any ideas?
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    If this should happen you can take the back seat out. The bottom cushion comes out easily by pulling the 2 black plastic handles at the front bottoms of the cushion. However do not just go out and do this for no reason. These black connectors once used may not be able to be reused but probably could be used a coupe times.

Next just remove the fasteners at the bottom of the seat back. I think that is all there is to it.
  • dell46dell46 Member Posts: 18
    I also have a 2005 LaCrosse CX without the fold down rear seat and I was also concerned about trunk access in case of a trunk release failure. What I did was purchase a piece of flexible wire loom and tape and velcro it to the trunk lid lining and insert a piece of stout cord inside the loom and fasten one end to the emergency trunk release handle and route the other end to one of the child carrier restrain brackets and fasten it there. All you have to do is open the cover for the restrain bracket and pull on the cord and it will pop the trunk. I previously owned a 1999 Regal and it had more standard features on it than the LaCrosse has for options.
  • kairnskairns Member Posts: 8
    Sounds like a great idea dell46. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll configure something this weekend. I can't believe GM didn't think of placing a manual access to the trunk. Just trying to save a few bucks on a lock cylinder.
  • kathrynhkathrynh Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday , I purchased a 2006 Lacrosse CXL certified used . Funny thing happened when I arrived home after dark- I realized there was no trunk light. Is it possible that this car does not have a trunk light or I have I been duped by the dealer?

Your replies would be appreciated - I am taking the car back tomorrow morning to ask the same question.

Thanks
  • tommertommer Member Posts: 7
    just joined I have a 05 cxl 26,607 miles loaded, tonight I started the car and the gas guage went crazy it's now pointing straight down. all the other guages are working. Anyone have any ideas on this?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    If all the other gauges are working, one would have to suspect that the sending unit at the gas tank is in distress. It' might be as simple as a loose wire grounding out but you'll have to check it out and have it tested. It's not likely for just one gauge to fail on a modern car.

Visiting Host
    That's what I thought it was too.
    there going to check it out friday. I'll let you know what it was.
    Well first they said it was a ground wire fixed it 100.00,worked for a day then the same thing filled the tank, guage is pointing straight down. so they said it has to be the sending unit, new one, two hundred twenty six dollars we went to St. Louis this wked filled up last night this morning straight down. so I guess I'm out the 226.00 and the guage still is'nt working. So I've spent 326.00 still no answer to the problem.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Who did you take the car to for repairs? The dealer?

It sounds like someone is guessing rather than doing diagnosis to determine where the problem is. Guessing by mechanics who don't have the proper tools is often expensive.

Taking it the dealer or a mechanic with proper equipment may incur a diagnosis fee, but in the end it's cheaper. I.E., a dealer would have used a Tech II and found if the proper signals were sent from the tank.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I take it to a mechanic. These guys have been in business for a long time, I do trust them.They told me they diagnotic equipment. I haven't had any car troubles in years. We had a CTS it was a great car, sucked on snow and ice, so we get a Envoy, loved this truck, wife totaled it in may . So we get this Buick, if we could find another Envoy I might trade it.
    I called the mechanic to double check what we have talked about. He said he uses the same diagontic equipment as GM, he has reset the gas guage twice tested it,new ground wire,now a new sending unit. So it goes back again tues. I'll get back to ya.
    Well here it is Dec. 9 gas guage still not working right. When we fill it up it does the same old thing it points straight down. Anyone have any ideas?
  • tim7581tim7581 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 Buick Lacrosse and I was driving at night and had my low beam lights on and they went out so I went to the high beam and they worked. Then later the low beams came back on. Later they went out again.This has continued ever since. Nothing else went wrong. I have checked the alternator and it is putting out at 13.7 steady. I checked the connections on the headlights and they were good.
  • amkdevileamkdevile Member Posts: 19
    It sounds like you might have the same problem we had with our 2006 Lacrosse.
    It was only the low beams. All other lights were on. Parking, tail, and interior dash lights worked. High beams worked when this happened. We could not turn them on manually either. The first thing they replaced after a few trips to the dealer was the Body Control Module. They actually couldn't duplicate the problem. So GM recommended this. We didn't seem to have the problem for awhile. The problem came back or maybe it never left. Anyway, I was able to get the car there when it was doing it. Tech actually able to test. He replaced the Exterior Lighting Relay.
    We haven't experienced the problem since (5/29/09). The Body Control part was about $150. The Relay was about $ 25. Done under warranty. I think the RELAY was the real problem. Not sure if this is your exact problem, but it might help.
    It's me again with 2006. When the problem is happening, our daytime running lights didn't work in the daytime. Again, you can't turn the low beams on manually. Everything else lights up. Also, we noticed that the low beams didn't blink with the key remote when locking or unlocking.
  • dawinadawina Member Posts: 1
    The low beams quit working just as you described on my 2005 Buick La Crosse. The car has been in the shop for 2 days and they told me to come and get it because they can't make it duplicate the problem. I explained to them that it only happens at night and they had to take it home and drive it at night. They couldn't for some reason. I fount this post and asked them to replace the Relay switch that you described. I will let you know if I think this fixed my problem or not.
  • tim7581tim7581 Member Posts: 3
    Get your car out of the shop and try to do it without paying anything. Then go to a parts company and buy a relay that goes in the relay box under the hood on the left side of the engine as you are looking at the engine. I cant remember what it is called but you only have 2 relays that deal with your haedlights and this one cost about 65.00$ the other is about 20.00. The relay I am looking at in my hand that was bad has a number 8866 on the top then 15328866 and this is the one from Delphi
  • frank197frank197 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 05 LaCrosse that the low beams go out on periodicly. No rhyme or reason. Do not loose tail lights or dash light. Have to drive home with the brights on. Ticks off a lot of people. Dealer cannot replicate it. Anyone else with this problem? This car has been great other than that. I have 202,xxx miles on it and still on original brakes. 3800 still gives me 31 to 32 mpg.
  • lacrossesoakedlacrossesoaked Member Posts: 87
    without referring to my owner's manual, i seem to remember there are two settings for the headlights: automatic (senses when it is dark outside, turns headlights on/off automatically) and manual (driver turns the lights on/off at will). does your problem occur in both modes?
    It sounds like you might have the same problem we had with our 2006 Lacrosse.
    It was only the low beams. All other lights were on. Parking, tail, and interior dash lights worked. High beams worked when this happened. We could not turn them on manually either. The first thing they replaced after a few trips to the dealer was the Body Control Module. They actually couldn't duplicate the problem. So GM recommended this. We didn't seem to have the problem for awhile. The problem came back or maybe it never left. Anyway, I was able to get the car there when it was doing it. Tech actually able to test. He replaced the Exterior Lighting Relay.
    We haven't experienced the problem since (5/29/09). The Body Control part was about $150. The Relay was about $ 25. Done under warranty. I think the RELAY was the real problem. Not sure if this is your exact problem, but it might help. Also, When the problem is happening, our daytime running lights didn't work in the daytime. Again, you can't turn the low beams on manually. Everything else lights up. Also, we noticed that the low beams didn't blink with the key remote when locking or unlocking.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Is the problem intermittent, or does the problem happen all the time? How long was it at the dealership for the dealer to try and replicate the issue? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • frank197frank197 Member Posts: 2
    The problem is intermittent but seems to happen more often. I had the car in the dealer for just a few hours being serviced. They could not find the cause nor had any idea of the source of the issue and were not able to replicate the problem. I just got home tonight (11:00 pm) and had to drive the last 35 miles with the brights on. Made a lot of other drivers angry.
    Hello Frank,
    Can you please email me at socialmedia@gm.com so I can get more information from you? Thank you,
  • richard2456richard2456 Member Posts: 2
    On the way home from an out of town visit, all the lights on the dash of my 2007 LaCrosse suddenly lit up, then shut down. It was very startling.

The engine never faltered. The AC blower kept going but I had to turn it off, then back on for the compressor to engage. It took about 10 minutes for the cruise control to come back on. We were listening to the radio when I garaged and turned off the car, and, instead of just playing until I opened the door (as normal) the radio cut out, then came back on. I just changed the battery in the key fob (and it works only intermittently).

Bought the car new, never had any trouble. Regularly maintained. It has 49,800 miles.

Any one with an idea of what's up with the dash lights?
    Hello Richard2456,
    Have you experienced the concern again after that day with your dashboard? Did you touch any of the circuitry when you changed the battery in the key fob? Have you had the vehicle diagnosed for the concern? Thank you,
  • richard2456richard2456 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, Mariah!

It happened twice, both times near the end of a 400 mile trip yesterday (about half an hour apart) but not since.

I probably did touch the circuitry in the key fob ... the thing nearly fell apart when I pulled out the old battery ... this happened yesterday as well and now it doesn't work at all.

No, I haven't had the opportunity to take it back to the dealer. All of this happened late yesterday. The dealer I bought the car from (and who is about three blocks from my home in rural Texas) no longer supports GM products and the nearest dealer is half an hour away.
    Hello Richard2456,
    What I could do is have an agent look at your situation further for you. The agent will require that you take the vehicle to the dealership to have the vehicle diagnosed. If you would like to me to proceed with this I will need your contact information, dealership, VIN, current mileage and best time to contact you. You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
  • flawrence1flawrence1 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever resolve this problem? I'm having the same issue on my 05 Lacrosse now and I'm wondering if I should just replace the relay myself.
  • dmckinleydmckinley Member Posts: 1
    I had this EXACT same issue on my 2007 LaCrosse back at the end of August. End of a long trip all of a sudden all the dashboard lights come on, cruise control dies, a/c compressor turns off. Radio stays on, a/c works after blow is turned off/back on.. cruise won't work for 10-15minutes.

Did you ever get a solution to your issue?
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    With so much electronic control and what appears to be related problems, I wonder if proper antistatic measures are used at all times. Semiconductors are quite reliable until they are damaged by a spike. At that time they may just die, or have a tiny hole blown in the material. This hole will be a point of leakage of current and will grow with time and eventually show as a failure. Often cycling power off and back on will temporarily fix the issue at hand. Heat will cause the problem to resurface more quickly. Heat is also produced at the hole where unwanted current is flowing. When troubleshooting to locate a specific component such as a chip a couple of thermal techniqes often aid. At the moment of failure, check for hotter than normal components. Also spraying with a product called cold chill, which was a type of freon, nonconductive, would often induce the part to start working again until it warmed. This would not be practical most of the time because of not being able to access internal parts of computer boxes.

Static is not the only enemy. Electro-mechanical induced spikes and surges can have the same damaging effects.
    Olds Auroras and likely Buick Rivieras of same period had a safety problem addressed by TSB. There were no diodes on the cooling fan motors to stop inductive spikes when they were energized or de-energized. It said that this was causing failures in BCM and anti-lock brakes. The fix was very simple and took about 10 minutes. Sadly, 09 Malibu had similar issues because of having left the same diode out. Fix was the same. I can tell you that mine did not have the diodes but the VIN was not included for the fix.
    It probably would never have surfaced if it had not been a safety issue, anti-lock brakes. But the lack of those diodes can damage any electronics that are not designed at extra cost to withstand such. Damage often hits the weakest component which likely exceeds design standards. If it gets your radio, probably not safety issue. It dies after warranty, you buy it.
    As of yet, I have not received from GM an explanation as to why mine does not have diodes.
  • herm734herm734 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 LaCrosse CXL that is doing the same thing. I've had it less than a month and it is heading to the dealer for the third time. I hope that they can fix it soon.
  • donegaldonegal Member Posts: 49
    My 2010 LaCrosse CSX with 10,000 miles on it had a similar headlight problem the other day. As I started the car a message appeared on the dash that the left low beam light was not working. I checked and sure enough the low beam was not working. I used my high beams to travel to my destination. When I started the car to return home the headlights worked fine. Will report it to dealer at my next service appointment.
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    It will be nice if someone figures out the root cause.
    I see someone had BCM replaced which brings to mind another high tech vehicle.
    On that one a common problem was with the switch on the steering column. It was mechanically connected to the left combination stalk. The lubricant inside the switch would get gummy and make multiple contacts stick and your vehicle would behave like it was posessed. No one around and lights would start coming on randomly and flashing. Sometimes it was accompanied by horn. Those who did not get the horn often found a dead battery. The BCM was sometimes misdiagnosed as the cause with the problem later showing up again.
    Not to jump forward too much, there are symptoms of other issues here as well.
    A single light would behave as described if the filament is blown. They sometimes re-establish contact and all seems fine, for awhile. Several times I checked bulbs to find they were working, but often too dim at night so it seemed. Once I discovered the bulb was actually out, I started disassembling and it came back on. Fine for awhile. I had assumed the connector was not solid. Next time I removed the bulb and pysically looked closely at filament. I tapped it against my palm a few times and it freed itself so I could see the break. No further problems with headlights or daytime running lights after I replaced those bulbs with newer brighter. Until I actually got the Christine effect. A 2$ can of contact cleaner and half hour of time saved me hundreds. If they changed BCM it was hundreds and later discovered it was the switch, then they replaced the harness segment it is soldered to. $400-500.
    Good Luck. Hope everyone still has warranty.
  • sandfreesandfree Member Posts: 3
    We're experiencing this same problem. This is definitely a safety issue since the lights go out on low beam. If we're on a lighted street, we do not notice it. Did this rectify your problem? Thanks for your input.
  • sandfreesandfree Member Posts: 3
    Was your problem with the lights finally rectified? Thanks for your post.
  • philp433philp433 Member Posts: 6
    I have this same problem on my 2006 CXS. The low beams just go out for no reason. brights work fine. I drive with the fog lights on all the time at night so that if the lights decide to go out I still have some lights without having to use the brights. The lights seem to always come back on after a few minutes. I have started to turn the lights off and let car idle for a few minutes prior to leaving the house, then turn the lights on manually and drive with the fog lights on. Its worked for the last few times I drove at night, but I may be fooling myself. I am going to purchase an Exterior Lighting Relay and replace it.
    Yes, our problem with the lights has not happened again since replacing the Exterior Lighting Relay. It has been nine or ten months since replacing the part. This is about a $25 part. Sorry, I didn't see your message when you posted it. Hope this helps !
    Thank you very much. I am going to pick up one today and replace.
    Hello Mariah,

I just called a local dealer asking for the Exterior Lighting Relay and he tells me that he could find a relay with that name. I dont know if you have access to the part # or if you even know exactly what we have been posting about, but I would appreciate it if you could locate the part # and send to me so I can get it from the dealer and try to prevent the problem from happening again.

Thank you,
    Phil
    philp433,
    My name is Christina; I have taken over for Mariah. What dealer are you working with? Can you please email me with your VIN and current mileage? I am working to find an answer to your question. I look forward to your email.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Hello Christina,

Thank you for getting back to me. Here is my VIN 2g3we587461287233, mileage is 74K.
    I am not currently working with a dealer, although I have worked with Jerry's in Weatherford, TX on other issues while the car was in warranty. This issue did not come up during that period.
    Thanks again. Phil
    I looked up my service record. The exterior lighting relay was replaced on 5/29/09.
    We have not had the problem since. Our car is a 2006 LaCrosse CX. The part number for the relay that was installed is: 15016745 . Hope this can help !
    Thank you very much!! This is great, I will call the dealer and see how quick I can get one. I have an 06 CXS. Thanks again!!
    philp433,
    How did things go getting your vehicle fixed? I look forward to the update on your progress.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service