Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln LS Transmission Problems

Comments

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    If you lost gears then that's pretty serious. Sounds like an internal problem. Find a good Ford or Lincoln mechanic that knows that transmission (same one used in the Explorer).
  • no_shono_sho Member Posts: 1
    I agree with akirby that it sounds like an internal problem...

The symptoms are somewhat odd given how the transmission is designed (see below).

For 1, 2, 3 to work requires that the front 2-speed gear box actuator is functioning and that the middle 3-speed gear box is shifting between 3.25:1 and 1.53:1. If the 3-speed can't switch to gear-3 but remains stuck in gear-2 (1.53:1) then D4 will be 3rd but D5 should shift to an unused gear ratio of 1.1475:1 which would be noticably faster than D4.

Reverse is a third gear box at the end with its own actuator which doesn't seem to be functioning.

It may be that the actuator pump isn't generating enough pressure to operate the 3-speed gear box fully (it can switch between gear-1 and gear-2 but not to gear-3) or to operate the reverse actuator.

Good luck....

Transmission description by the design engineer from an old forum page:
    #604 of 677: LS *is* a 5 speed transmission (mkovalsk) Tue 28 Dec '99 (05:58 AM)

The LS is a 5 speed transmission. It is in thesame "family" as the Explorer 5 speed. The new transmission, called the 5R55N, was designed from the Explorer trans, but 95% of the parts are new.

The torque converter only locks in 4th and 5th, except with the sport package. In the sport it can also lock in 3rd gear when shifting manually.

Second gear is not achieved by locking the torque converter in first gear. It is achieved by overdriving first gear. Fifth gear is not created by locking the torque converter in fourth gear. It is overdriven fourth gear.

Think of this as two transmissions in one case. In front is a two speed trans, with ratios of 1:1 and 0.75:1. This is called the overdrive unit. Behind this is a three speed transmission.

In first gear the overdrive unit is at 1:1 ratio. The rear gearset is at 3.25:1. This gives an overall ratio of 3.25:1.

For second gear, the overdrive shifts to 0.75:1 and the rear unit stays at 3.25:1. 3.25*0.75 = 2.44:1.

For third gear the overdrive shifts back to 1:1 and the rear gearset shifts to 1.53:1. 1*1.53=1.53, which is the third gear ratio.

For fourth gear, the rear set shifts to 1:1 ratio, and the front stays at 1:1.

For fifth, the overdrive shifts to 0.75:1 and the rear stays at 1:1.. 0.75*1=0.75, which is fifth, or overdrive ratio.

I don't know what else to call this besides a five speed. There are five distinct ratios, plus converter lock.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    minority was drawn to the Lincoln LS because it was originally offered with a transmission that doesn't have these problems.

It's called a manual. It was 48 years or so between the '51 and '00 Lincolns that had manual transmissions. I'm guessing it'll be at least 48 before there's another one.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Right on cue Steve..... ;)
    it was for old time's sake.

I've let dozens/hundreds of these go by. :D
  • buggreerbuggreer Member Posts: 4
    To anyone who knows anything about cars. I have a 2001 Lincoln LS, we noticed the transmission was "slipping". Well the fluid was low, so we bought the recommended type, Mercron V ATF, & added 2 quarts (it was still low) but we drove off to get some more & my transmission went completely out! The engine will rev, but there is no movement...However there is reverse! Guessing whoever serviced it last put the wrong kind in it, but is it fixable or does it have to be replaced all together?
    No way to tell until you take it out and get it diagnosed. Doesn't sound promising though.
    I was told that it would have to be rebuilt... $900 - $1,200 is the 1st estimate! I’m totally ticked :mad: Luckily the dealer where we purchased the car did some not so legal things upon our initial purchase, so they’re kind of forced to help us. Who knows to what extent they will help though! :(
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    That actually sounds cheap for a tranny rebuild.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    that adding a couple of quarts of clean fluid, with fresh solvents & additives, was enough to dislodge or suspend some crud that found its way into one of the dozens of solenoid valves and other tightly-toleranced goodies that are all over the marvel of technology that is today's computer-controlled automatic transmission.

Once it's rebuilt, have the fluid changed out (completely, with an exchange machine) every 50-60K miles.

Good luck.
  • askiffyaskiffy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 LS and I experienced the same problem. The tranny slips and I have been stuck halfway through a turn many times with an engine that simply revs. It seemed to slip more when I'd go from 2nd to 3rd gear, either accelerating or deaccelerating. I ran out on my warranty, but took it in to see if I could extend my warranty and if they would catch the slip during the test drive. Luck was on my side and the ole LS held up during the test drive. Went through the paperwork, signed up for a 2yr full warranty at $1,900 over 24 months. Figured the tranny was worth that alone, now the car is covered and I'm...kinda happy. Can't wait to be right side up on the darn thing. I only have 32,000 miles at 5 yrs - and the stinking tranny goes!?!?!? Plus the reset/fuel/setup/status button got pushed in! :mad:">
    I think that is an unusual problem on this vehicle. The transmission's seem to be pretty durable except for some computer software issues on early cars.
    The later cars had either solenoid or valve body problems - I forget which. But it's not an internal problem and doesn't require a new transmission.
  • jonmac629jonmac629 Member Posts: 3
    LAST NIGHT WHILE DRIVING HOME ON THE HIGHWAY I GOT A CHECK TRANSMISSION LIGHT AND A E CODE ON MY DASHBOARD.I GOT OFF THE HIGHWAY RIGHT AWAY.I STOPPED AND SHUT DOWN.THEN STARTED IT UP BUT THE CODE KEPT BEEPING EVERY COUPLE OF MILES AND WHEN I WOULD GO UP A HILL IT FELT LIKE IT WAS SLIPPING BUT WHEN I ACCELERATED IT WOULD PICK UP SPEED.AMMACO CAN'T SEE ME UNTIL MONDAY.IS IT DANGEROUS TO DRIVE A MILE OR 2 OR SHOULD I JUST WAIT UNTIL MONDAY.THANKS FOR ANY HELP.
    Damage is probably already done, but I would use a Lincoln dealer not AAMCO. Could just be the valve body which was a common problem. The Lincoln dealer would be aware of this. The AAMCO guys will probably want to rebuild the internals which may not be necessary.
    THANKS AKIRBY-I WILL DO
    i had a check transmission code and a E on my dashboard panel last week while driving home.i stopped and shut down and then restarted and drove home.i took it in to amaco today and they said that the transmission needs all the soft parts and some hard parts but didn't say what for a total of 2500.00.i then took it to the lincoln dealer and he put it on his machine and said 2 codes came back.one was a p0775 which is a solonoid b pressure control malfunction and a p0735 which read transmission gear 5 ratio is incorrect.but he says they don't do transmission work.do you think amaco is being fair?thanks for any help.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's hard to say what's going on exactly but there are diagnostic tests that can help to pinpoint the issues. The codes do indicate some kind of internal distress however, but how much and how bad---well codes don't tell you that.
    IIRC this is usually a bad valve body. If you can find a lincoln dealer that does transmissions they've probably seen a lot of these. At least call and get an estimate on a valve body replacement for comparison. $2500 sounds high.
  • tru_player20tru_player20 Member Posts: 1
    hey man my car does the same thing, did u ever get it fix and if u did wut had to be done to it just wondering i wood like to have my car running good
  • crxcasecrxcase Member Posts: 1
    So this is the story guys. I just got this car about three months ago. The car wasn’t making any noise it was running good. Then I changed the oil and for some reason the car started to make this weird noise like the flywheel was going out.(The next day after oil change I was coming home from work racing a GTI & a Porsche) Sooo anyways when the clutch was engaged the noise would happen. Then the noise just went away! Then I was driving with my friend and I was backing up into a parking spot. As I was backing up it sounded like I hit something. I got out of my car and looked, nothing was there. Sooo I got back into my car and turned it over w it in reverse and it wouldn’t go. I had to push my car all the way back home………Anyone have an idea of what I can do to check to see what the problem is……….I think I should get a new clutch…Maybe a stage 3 clutch w everything………….

Thanks for your time

Ps. Now if the car is in neutral and I let out the clutch it will just stalls. It only wants to go into reverse and 1st gear………….
    Thanks for the info.. unfortunately the dealer is not going to do anything! :cry: I'll just have to have it rebuilt come the 1st of the year or so! Don't ever buy anything from Corporate Auto Brokers in Cumming, GA Every car they've ever sold to anyone I know has been a lemon :lemon: !
  • inztagatahinztagatah Member Posts: 9
    Only sometimes when i shift to reverse it takes 1 to 3 seconds to engage other times it's fine. Also somtimes when shifting from revers to park it makes a rough click noise. shifting from reverse into drive works fine, and select shift works fine. also i hear grinding pulley noise when idling sounds like its coming from the transmission when under the car. Could this be old transmission fluid or worn seals? :confuse:
  • marcia1639marcia1639 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 ls was hit in the rear while it was parked. The very next day, I backed the car out of the drive and it hestiated before going into drive. As I drove down the street, the steering seem to be getting tight. I look in my dash and my speed odometer dropped to -0-, the Trip mileage went blank, the brake light came on. I took it to Auto Zone for a diagnostic and it gave a code of P1633. Some type of electrical problem that stated low voltage to battery. Battery disconnect or something to this effect. I then took it on to the dealer and asked that they diagnose what was causing the electrical problems and was told that I needed coils, spark plugs, and a valve cover gasket. They never said anything about the electrical problem, or the battery issued or low voltage to the battery.

How in the world can replacing coil paks, spark plugs and a valve cover gasket fix an electrical problem.

Does anyone know if the transmission have an electrical pump or something thats indicating that my tranny is about to go out?
  • jayyy_kjayyy_k Member Posts: 5
    the classic question. does anybody know what this means? i took my 05 LS to the lincoln dealership the first time my car went into fail safe mode when i was accelerating, so they charged me $600 for a new throttle body, but guess what that wasn't it. same code same problem but this time i dont have another $600 to guess with. If anybody can help or point me in the right direction your going to heaven
  • jtw72jtw72 Member Posts: 4
    I just had the same issue on my 2004 LSV8 this past year. They charged me $475 for a throttle body. I said BS...It's not the throttle body. They insisted it was. 24 hours after having a new throttle body installed, it went back into ETC failsafe mode. I went back in and they said it was the ABS sensor on the left rear that was the problem, and that would cost another $300 for parts and labor. I said BS. I demanded that they do the job for free, because it was clear that the ABS sensor was sending a code to the throttle body that caused it to fail again. We came to an agreement at a Ford/Lincoln dealer that they would do the work for $50 more. I agreed. They throttle body was replaced under a one year part warranty for no charge, and for a week now I have had NO issues. I signed up on this board last year because I was tired of the dealers nickle and diming me to death. At least for me, it was completely the ABS sensor, NOT the throttle body. Good luck!
  • tyndmartyndmar Member Posts: 1
    Had similar issue with my 2001 LS (same codes, no 4th or 5th gear). Also had a repair shop tell me I needed a new tranny (and would install for $3500). After some internet research, I bought a $6 spring over the net (Sonnax part #56947J-S1, "Spring, 4-3 pre-stroke valve" for transmission model 5R55N) and had a local trans shop install it, completely fixing the problem - the original spring had broken. Total cost, including new trans filter and fluid - $445.
  • mluvs7mluvs7 Member Posts: 1
    My car is currantly at the Auto Shop. My cars gas tank got punctured. So the machanic replaced it. Now he says that it wont start. It turns though. He says we now need to replace the whole new computer system from Lincoln. Does that sound correct? Any ideas on what to do?

Thank You.
  • socalcarlsocalcarl Member Posts: 7
    I find it hard to believe that a punctured tank causes the computer to fail. Unless he shorted it out while removing the fuel pump or some such thing.
    Maybe the tree stump you ran over ruined some other things LOL.
    How'd the tank get punctured?
  • fustrated2fustrated2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Lincoln LS and have tranny problems. The reverse does not work and the tranny will not shift automatically. We have to put it in 1st gear, wait for it go engage which wen it does it clunks hard. Once in 1st we can go but we still have to shift it manually. Going from 2nd to 3rd it will pause a bit longer then shifting into other gears. Once in 5th gear, it is fine but if it needs to shift down it will just fall out of gear and rev up until you manually shift it down. They say the tranny needs replaced but we don't agree. It will shift manually so here are our thought. Either the computer is sending a too high RPM or the springs or valves. Does anyone have anyother ideas? We dont want to spend the money on a new tranny when that probably is not the answer.
  • ohiofortuneohiofortune Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am having the same exact problem. Have you learned any more?
  • inztagatahinztagatah Member Posts: 9
    Mine is doin the same thing same kinda noise for over a year now did u ever find out what it was?
  • dustinvernon04dustinvernon04 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same problem as frustrated.I have went through the valve body and overhauled everything in the trans except for the front pump and also replaced the solenoid pack.Still does the same thing.SOMEONE HELP PLEASE........I am beginning to think it has to be a pump/pressure problem
  • xpricanpridexxpricanpridex Member Posts: 1
    Love the car but have had many problems a problem with the transmission. The car has never had the transmission fluid drained/refilled I bought it used at 32K, now it has 96K. Went to the dealer to please change it due to my vehicle "kicking" between 2nd-3rd. However, when the outside temp is about 15-30 degrees, the transmission does not kick during shifting, however anywhere past
    30 the symptoms come up. I was told by the dealer service dept "It cant be opened because its a sealed transmission, you would have to replace the whole thing". No dumb lights have come up yet (chk eng, transmisison, wrench or "E"). Any advise?
    It's not "sealed" - it just doesn't have a dipstick. You can drop the pan and change the fluid but that's not necessary. Dealers use a machine that removes the old fluid and replaces it with new fluid through the cooler lines. It will change 95% of the fluid. If your dealer doesn't know this then you need to find a new dealer.
  • pallyjoepallyjoe Member Posts: 5
    i don't know what you mean by going through the valve body;but we found broken springs in the valve body.the tools to ream the valve body ports and upgrade the damaged ports was rather expensive.ex.one jig was 400.00 and i needed three different jigs.not counting the reamers.not to mention that there is twenty some valves to inspect.just not cost effective when you can buy a rebuilt valve body with a garranty for appx. 300.00.there are a couple of companies out ther doing this.the same tranny is used in several vehicles in the time frame.all required an exchange.
  • pallyjoepallyjoe Member Posts: 5
    akirby is exactly right .my tranny was doing the same thing.local dealer said we needed a new one.did some research.tried the fluid change and a valve body gasket replace first and solenoid pack change second.ended up being a broken spring in the valve body.purchased a rebuilt valve body with a warranty.local transmision shop should be able to do this for you.i did the repair myself a garage lift is a big plus.also you will need a pump to replace the fluid.
  • amhammeramhammer Member Posts: 1
    After fixing my main problem by replacing the broken TCC control (S2) spring. I have created another problem. Two small green balls fell from the valve body when I seperated the gasket
    from the valve body topside. Could any one email me the location the came from. Thanks!
    vtech@bellsouth.net
  • gallgall Member Posts: 1
    I think I made a big mistake buying this lincoln ls with 95000 miles. Got the oil changed. After that it started hesitating very badly. had to give it alot of gas to get it going. Took it to mechanic he hooked to computer code that came up was plugs and coil in 8th cylinder. got it done. Gained a little power but it still hesitates when you give it gas. Also no uphill power. Any help would be greatly appreciated....THANKS!!!!
    Replace ALL the coils and plugs and if there is any oil leaking replace the valve cover gaskets.
  • mikemo2mikemo2 Member Posts: 1
    If your car still has less than 100000 miles Ford / Lincon will fix the leaking valve covers under warranty. They extended the watrranty to 100000 back in 05. I just had mine done at 97,500 miles. They'll only replace coils that are faulty because of the oil leaking into the spark plug chambers, but hey that should stop future problems.
  • starbucks21starbucks21 Member Posts: 4
    i have a 2000 lincoln ls v8 which i crashed last month. i bought another ls and put my engine and transmission in. since then the car has difficulty gaining speed and doesnt change gears while driving. it however works great in reverse. whenever i start the car, for a few seconds everything is going well and the the fan kicks and and the "check transmission message pops up at the same time. i took it to a transmission shop and the diagnostics returned all the codes for the sensors in the transmission are not working. i changed the transmission and still have the same problem. does any one know what the problem might be?
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    Have a competent tranny shop check your tranny fluid level.....
  • smalltownboy1smalltownboy1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone, I just bought by 2000 Lincoln LS V6 about a month ago. Since then I have (myself) replaced both valve cover gaskets, all 6 spark plugs, all 6 spark plug coils, the water pump, a new radiatior, radiatior hoses. But now it is having trouble shifting. It is almost "sticking" in 3 or 4 gear. And the only way to get it to shift and to pop it in Neutral put it back in Drive and then it shifts really hard. After that it is fine. but it doesnt do it all of the time just randomly. And it is also (only when it is idleing or at a stop) the car will act like it is going to die and then does die unless I keep my foot on the gas pedal and keep the RPM's a little over a 1000. What is going on with my car? Can anyone help?
  • domfast2003domfast2003 Member Posts: 1
    So my timing chains broke, I decided to get another engine and put in my car. After doing so.... Well, I came across the exact same issue. Have you found out how to fix it yet by chance? Idk what to do. I have checked all plugs and fluid. Also changed the computer in the car. Still no fix. Please help me. Kyle
  • mcarlyslemcarlysle Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem and the computer at the dealership noted that there was a low voltage reading on an air intake sensor. The sensor was clogged with cottonwood fluff. They cleaned it up, it read normal, and the car has been fine since.
  • hydrolshydrols Member Posts: 2
    i have an 02 ls that ive owned for about 2 months now. i got it for a steal a buddy of mine bought it from the sale and played with it for about 2 months he had hydros put on it and couldnt finish the build so i bought it from him knowing it needed some work since i got the car i have replaced all eight coilpacks both valve cover gaskets two window regulators a fender a headlight and a o2 sensor the engine is running great but from time to time the coolant wants to start bubbling like the car is over heating but the gauge is reading normal , the ac is still blowing cold the car isnt showing any signs of it over heating and before i spend anymore money on the car looking good i want to make sure its not going to blow up on me and my tranny is also throw the code for a pressure solenoid can anyone tell me if the solenoid is on the outside or inside or out side of the trannsmission
  • sonluuthuysonluuthuy Member Posts: 1
    Yes, after I changer transmission fluid from FIRESTONE and the car driving about 500 mileage and message pops up check transmission, at the same the run only 40 miles only and RPM go too hight lets me driver so slowly on the freeway from redmond to seattle. I bring car to Firestone and tell them know about this problem and they toll me the Gear Ration 4 (P0734), Gear Ration (P0735) and (P0795) Pointing to a Broken Spring in valve body of transmission. I say my car before Run very well not thing wrong with transmission but after replace transmission fluid jut driving only 500 miles and got this problem. Now they toll me need to pay for transmission 1,400 dollar. this it so wear. Any one have i dear for me what can i do. Thanks