Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Town & Country Warning Lights

slacker10000slacker10000 Member Posts: 13
edited August 2015 in Chrysler
I have the infamous check engine light that just came on my car. It appeared 6 months ago, changed the gas cap and was charged $120 for the cap and diagnostic check.

Just recently, the check engine light came on again. I did a trick to do the diagnostic check myself. turning the key on and off a few times will show you the codes on the odometer. When I did this, the following codes displayed: "P1684 and P0135". Does anyone know these codes and how to fix?

See Also
OBD-II (Check Engine Light) Trouble Codes

Comments

• bigmike210bigmike210 Member Posts: 1
    P1684 simply means that power was disconeected within the last 50 starts. (Most likely this is how the PCM was reset the last itme you took your van to the shop.)

P0135 indicates a malfuntioning O2 sensor. Available at your favorite parts store for about $75 bucks.

Hope this helps.
  • pasi100pasi100 Member Posts: 6
    ...and it is flashing indicating that "...serious conditions that could lead to immediate loss of power or severe catalytic converter damage..."

I can also smell burning gas and the whole engine (and the car) are shaking like Little Richard.

What's wrong and what to do?
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    I would say you should call your dealer immediately.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    It's hard to diagnose over the internet. Take your car to the VW dealer or another service station. How many miles on your car?
  • quattjquattj Member Posts: 2
    Any idea what would cause a check engine light to always be on? I have a 1992 Town and Country with a digital gauge set. I just replaced the gauges because the old ones died, and with this replacement, the check engine light is always on, even when the key is out of the ignition and the van is off. I do not think the check engine light was on with the old gauges, but they died a while back, before I got this vehicle. The "maintenance required" light in the information center above the gauges is not on at all. I can not check the error codes, because the light stays on and can't blink the codes (if there are any). Thanks.
  • quattjquattj Member Posts: 2
    Problem solved. My replacement gauges had a short somewhere in the actual gauge portion. However, I was able to use the front gauge circuit board from my old gauge set and the rear circuit board from the replacement set (the part with the wire harness on it) to make a working gauge cluster, so I'm good to go.
  • ellensinglerellensingler Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a 04 Town and Country with 43,000 miles on it. In past months, prior to my warranty running out. The check engine light would come on. Chrys. said #2 was misfiring, so they replaced it for free. The warranty has since expired, and now it is doing the same thing. So, I took it to our local auto zone, for the free check and they said #3 was misfiring. I just tried doing the key turn 3 times, and it gives me a code of P030303. Is this the same thing as #3 misfiring.

Thank you!
    E
  • tmjamestmjames Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 town and country. My oil light came on so I went and got it changed. It went off for about a week but now it's on again. Does anyone have a answer to my problem?
  • davebipdavebip Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 T&C recently started acting possessed. All warning lights would appear, gauges quit,etc. and 1 no start condition. Headlights would come on or off while driving. Took to dealer today and found 3 wires had rubbed through wiring harness and were grounding out intermittenly on left side of transmission case. The front of trans. by pan and up side of case. It cost me $220.00 for an hour and a half labor. Mechanic had run across this before and knew right where to look. I hope this helps alot of you out.
  • cyount623cyount623 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2002 T&C 3 days ago and now the engine light and oil light have come on. I just got the oil changed when I bought it and when I attempted too start it this am it started no problem then stalled right awa, this happened 3 times and then it would not start at all. I attempted to turn it on and off for the fault codes but it does not read any codes and just says done. Any suggestions on how too get the codes or fix this problem?
  • ViperggVipergg Member Posts: 24
    Don't attempt to start it again until you figure out why this happened or you will be buying a new engine . of course the first thing would be to check the oil level even though it was just changed . they could have not put enough or any oil in or left the oil plug loose and you lost it all , we have all heard of stranger things happening . Also check the oil filter , they could have left part of the oil filter gasket stuck to the mounting surface and this would cause a leak and you could have lost all the oil . Pull the dipstick and make sure the oil level is between the 2 marks . If its nothing obvious I would have it towed to a Chrysler dealer or mechanic you can trust .
  • rorytaterorytate Member Posts: 21
    Hi,
    I have a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan and the check engine light is on. Are there any self diagnostics I can do? I did the turn the key on and off and I ended up only with the p1684 code, and nothing else. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
  • cactusjack578cactusjack578 Member Posts: 3
    2003 Chrysler Town and Country 55,000 miles. I have codes
    P 0442 and P 0456. Can someone tell me what they mean?
    Thanks, Jack
  • ajarrellajarrell Member Posts: 1
    I also have the code P0456 and need to know what it is and how to clear the check engine light
  • dadto3dadto3 Member Posts: 17
    I just had some body repair work done to my 2005 T&C. When I picked it up, the engine light is on and it wasn't when I dropped it off. The body repair work was done on the passenger door, so nothing engine related. I'm assuming their work caused the light to come on for some reason. Has anyone had this happen after having body work done? And how did you get it turned off?
  • cmg3cmg3 Member Posts: 1
    The light was on for a coupe of days. On day 3, my transmission went (90,500 miles). Transmission replaced, then the compressor went (the next day). that was replaced, car ran good for about 2 weeks, now the ENGINE light is back on again! Please help! Any ideas?
  • orientpchorientpch Member Posts: 1
    Hi, the P 0456 code is for a emmission leak... which when I took to the dealer, they said it was because when I put gas in the car I did not tighten the cap down good enough. The next time I put gas, I tighten that cap down as good as it could go and a few days later the engine light came up again. After researching online, it's a typical problem. I am trying to figure out how to reset the light myself along with a couple more problems I have (locks). I wouldn't take it back to the dealer because they were so sh.tty and very questionable. I have since placed a complaint to the company about my last visit to the service dept (they called me for my opinion a fews days after the trip) and am waiting back to see whats happens. I have a 05 Touring with 32,000 miles and I have been having little issues that are just popping up. My warranty just expired 08/11/07... so I'll have to deal with it. :confuse:
  • bdwzrlizrdbdwzrlizrd Member Posts: 1
    I got codes of p0403=egr flow circuit malfunction and p0513=immobilizer incorrect are these easy fixes or is something in need of replacing?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    There are a number of things that could cause the P403 code in the EGR circuit. The immobilizer issue is likely the more pressing of the two, as that will prevent the engine from running.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • akmccakmcc Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 Chrysler Town & Country. My airbag light comes on a few minutes after I start the car and remains on. It even beeps sometimes. Would anyone have any idea why this light would come on? It's not the light that sits on the middle of the dash that shows when the passengers side airbag is de-activated. It sits near my check engine light.
  • dadto3dadto3 Member Posts: 17
    Hello...I am getting code P0457 which inidicated gas cap as well. Did you ever find out how to reset the warning light? I'm out of warranty and don't want to pay for a visit if I can do it myself. Thanks!
    Assuming no other problems, the light should go out after several drive cycles. Otherwise, you could disconnect the battery for a few minutes and hit the brake pedal to drain the system. The best way to reset (and read) the codes is to buy an OBD-II code reader. Plug it into the car, read the codes, and then clear them. You can use it any time you get a check engine light and, after using it a couple times, it will have paid for itself versus taking it to a shop for diagnostics. The reader process takes less than a minute.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    I second xwesx's advice to go buy an OBD-II scanner. You can get a basic one for less than $50.00. It will display the code and allow you to reset them. You can find out what code means at any one of a number of on-line sites.
  • susan555susan555 Member Posts: 4
    I have 2005 Chrysler T & C with 65,000 miles (3.3 6 cyl). Check engine light came on 3 weeks ago but van runs fine. Getting code P 0406. Does anyone know what this means? Thank you.
  • mele503mele503 Member Posts: 4
    I was wondering how to find codes that you all are speaking of for my 96 T&C van? I read to turn the key off 3 times but where do you find the codes to read? Is it how many times the check engine light blinks? PLEASE HELP ME!!! I am having major issues and need to fine out what the heck is wrong!!!!
    Where you normally see the mileage is where the code will appear. Good luck!
  • mele503mele503 Member Posts: 4
    There is no code appearing where the mileage is. Don't some codes go by how many times the check engine light flashes after doing the key thing? How many times do you have to turn it off and on for it to show codes?

Thanks in advance!!!
    After 3 or 4 turns of the key the code will appear.
    I'm going from memory of my '94 DC. I think the process was to turn the key to the on position and back off, 2.5 times, like this:
    ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON
    with about 1 sec in each position. At that point, the CEL should start blinking the diagnostic code. There's a series a quick flashes with a longer pause between the sets. Each set is a digit, determined by the number of flashes in the set. So for example, the code 123 would look like this:
    BLINK-PAUSE-BLINK-BLINK-PAUSE-BLINK-BLINK-BLINK-PAUSE, then repeat.
    1 2 3
  • kevinsmythkevinsmyth Member Posts: 1
    One that I know that works is:
    1) Fix whatever the problem was that kicked out the error code in the first place.
    2) While pressing and HOLDing the "Trip Meter Reset Button" down turn on and off your ignition 5 times. You don't have to start the engine, just turn the ignition key until it get's power the 5 times.
    3) You should get a display of 5 dashes (- - - - -) then a display that reads "donE"
    4) In my case I had to drive the 2004 Town and Country Van a distance of 2.8 miles before the engine light went off.
    NOTE: I kept on starting up the engine after I cleared the code about 10 times expecting the engine light to go off but it never did until I drove the van for a few miles. There must be some combination of engine start ups and driving distance requirements before it'll go out but this combination worked for me.
    Good Luck
  • brad54brad54 Member Posts: 5
    Could anybody tell me what codes 0442,0455, and 0466 mean? My minivan seems to running fine.
  • Angryowner08Angryowner08 Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I own a 96 Town and Country LX with a 3.8 engine. It's front wheel drive. It stalls at Idle and bucks during upshift of its A/T. I did the ignition self diagnostic on-off thing and the Check Engine light blinked 5 times. This P.0.S. blew three transmissions in two week intervals since we got it and it's about "that time" again. Is there a permanant fix or should I tell the dealer we are paying for it to shove it where the sun don't shine? please help! :mad: It had no waranty(should have been a red flag) but it looks nice, has no body rust. We feel stupid for buying this :lemon: that came gift wrapped.
    It is the gas exhaust recirculation sensor.
  • bayview71bayview71 Member Posts: 1
    Have the code 1491 coming up on my 2003 T&C. Could someone help me with what it means? thank you
  • fulltrackfulltrack Member Posts: 1
    My wife's oil light is staying on... it has oil it in.. there are no rattles or signs of low pressure..... Help... or she drive it until it blows up....
    Hmmm, if it is not low, then my first suspicion would be oil pressure. It might be worthwhile to hook a pressure gauge up to it rather than relying on the dummy light.
  • joepeterson56joepeterson56 Member Posts: 95
    Possibly the clock spring in the steering column under the wheel. There was a recall on them, but do not know if your year is affected by it. If you call any chrysler dealer or chrysler HQ, give them the last 8 digits of your VIN, they will tell you right away if you need the RECALL REPAIR. Mine is a 2000 and my light came on suddenly, and my horn stopped working. Just took it to a dealer today and had it changed. Picked it up at 4pm and drove home. No more airbag light, and the horn now works. BUT driving home, :sick: I turned the wheel while braking, and making a left turn, and the radio died then came back on, but the stations had been wiped out of the memory settings! I am guessing it is a bad connection from something they did, because my model has radio controls on the steering wheel at the back od the air bag & horn cover. Anyone else have this problem or hear about it? :mad:
  • joepeterson56joepeterson56 Member Posts: 95
    Hook up a oil pressure guage(the kind with numbers on it) to it and watch it for a while as you use it to see what the pressure does. It is possible your oil pump is on it's way out! Happened to me, and I learned the hard way.
  • brandycbrandyc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 03 Chrysler T&C and I just had my transmission serviced 1 month ago. I have 65,000 miles on it. Last night my check engine light came on and the van would not down shift as I drove. This morning, it seems fine, shifts normally. However, the light is still on. My error code is P1684. Can anyone tell me what this means?

Thanks in advance
    Brandy
    From Wikianswers.com-

P1684-The battery has been disconnected within the last 50 starts
  • munsonbmunsonb Member Posts: 2
    Hi- we have a 2005 town and country touring van that pretty much everything has been replaced including transmission ( last year right around 59,000 miles).. anyhow our latest issue was we noticed that the floor underneath the passenger side is wet. We took it in and were told that there was a part actually missing completely that goes to the a/c unit to pump out the water. so we bought this 90 degree looking tube and sure enough water started piling out underneath. well 2 days later the check engine light when on and took it back. Now they tell me my gas cap wasnt on tight enough. all the lines look fine, etc.. so now the next week is here and Im still have some issue with the floor and over on the driver's side also.. It clear fluid, no odor so Im assuming its condensation?? there is no issue with plugged clogs either.. any help would be appreciated.
  • captainibccaptainibc Member Posts: 6
    The check engine light came on. I was told that it may be a problem with the gas cap. I changed the cap and things were fine for about 100 miles. The check engine light came on again. The code that comes up on my car is for an evaporative emmission code. Does anyone know what is wrong. My mechanic can't find it. They checked all vent tubes and cleared out the codes. The engine light came on again. I tried the on/off ingintion and these codes came up on the odometor: P1684, P0442 and P0456. Does anyone know what may they may be? Will this cause the car to brake down. I'd hate to go to Chrysler and get ripped off.

Thanks for any assistance.
    Captain IBC
    Try this site:
    OBD II Codes
  • captainibccaptainibc Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the info
  • carvirgincarvirgin Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 T&C 53K miles on it just had the engine light come on yesterday. I read a few things on-line, some people said contact Auto Zone - I did but they won't check the car. Okay. Called the dealer and he said give it a few days, might be the gas cap. So I took care of that. Light still on. Tried to find the code using everyone's advice - nothing's coming up.

Trying to figure this out myself because I don't want to take it to the dealer but getting frustrated.

I will go back and re-read how to find the code but any other advice besides taking it to the dealer?

TY! ;)
    Buy your own code reader! They are less than $150, and once you use it twice, it paid for itself versus taking it to a shop for a "diagnostic," which typically costs around $80.
    I agree about getting an OBD-II code reader. You can get an Accutron unit for around $50.00
  • kkeyyankeeskkeyyankees Member Posts: 3
    Turn the key 2 0r 3 times wiothout starting the car and look at the odometer the codes will pop up there. write them down then turn the key on and off again without starting the car. i hav ean 02 T&C limited and this works. hope it helps
  • kkeyyankeeskkeyyankees Member Posts: 3
    did the key triuck and got code p1684. I left the neg off the battery for 15min and then reconnected the battery light goes out for 2 days then comes back on. I dont drive that m,uch during the week so sometimes it doesnt come on for 3 or 4 days after I fix it. I would say I do anout 100 miles beofer the liught comes back on. any help would be great. SHould I get a new battery ??? mine is only 1 1/2 years old.
  • shawntevansshawntevans Member Posts: 1
    I have the little red circle on the dash, it wasnt there before the car wouldnt start. Now, turning the key will not engage the starter. The starter has been checked and is fine, battery is fine, lights come on. How do I replace the anti theft module, or what ever it is called? I understand it needs to be programed to the key as well.