Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• traveldavetraveldave Member Posts: 2
    Although I've been reading this thread for a while, this is my first time to post. I've had a 2001 Tribute for almost 2 years (about 27,000 miles).

In post 1615, Jetfly65 wrote:
    "My recent problem has been a hissing air noise whenever I take my foot off the brake pedal. I took it into the dealership and they said that this is a normal sound for this braking system (even though it never made this noise the first year of ownership). They also said that they checked new models on the lot and they also make the same noise."

I have recently started noticing the same noise in my car when I let off the brake pedal. The dealership says this is normal, but I'm surprised it took so long for a "normal" noise to appear. Any other people have this noise or have thoughts on it?

Dave
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    but someone had mentioned a clicking noise when you release and engage the brake pedal. This is a noise I never noticed after owning my Escape for 2 years and 19,000 miles! I had to really listen for the click of the relay...
  • ke4yydke4yyd Member Posts: 30
    Ford says the tranny fluid is good for life but I flushed it anyway at 40,000 mi and it cured my chatter also. Here is the email a Ford tech sent me.

"To confirm the Ford Customer Relations line answer, I have been told by
    Customer Service and the transmission folks that for normal customer use,
    the CD4E transmission fluid is good essentially for the life of the vehicle,
    to be checked and changed at 150,000 miles as indicated on page 33 of the
    scheduled maintenance guide (CD4E falls into the "other" category)."
  • bri66bri66 Member Posts: 220
    I would highly recommend all owners of the Escape to have their fluid changed at the 30,000 mile mark. Going 150,000 miles as stated from the maintenance service guide is absurd. I believe also that when the fluid is drained only about one third the fluid is drained from the plug. So at 30,000 miles your only adding around 5 quarts to a system that holds about 13 quarts.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Yeah, that 150,000 mile "change interval" seems odd.
    Same with the '01 RAV4; it calls for changing the tranny fluid at 120k miles only under "Special Operating Conditions." Otherwise, not at all.
    Hard to figure, when you'd think the manufacturers would like to throw as much business to the dealer service departments as possible, within reason.
    My dealer service department wanted to change the RAV4's ATF at 30k miles, and I let them. Don't think I'll go for it at 60k miles, though.
  • kilgenmankilgenman Member Posts: 2
    I have two problems, wondering if anyone else has them. First, when the engine is cold, it runs rather rough for the first half-mile or so, particularly at lower RPMs. The dealer says this is normal. (?) Secondly, I get a rattle and the sound of gurgling water from the right side of the windshield whenever it rains, or if the vehicle has been out in the rain. Anyone else have this problem?
    I have had my Escape now for almost 2 years and never has it been rough at start. Sounds like a programming problem in your computer. Escpecially since it is only for the first 30 seconds or so, then it smooths out.
    Gurgling sound.. Sounds as if the water draining from the windshield is maybe getting trapped someplace??
  • kilgenmankilgenman Member Posts: 2
    The dealer checked it once, and found no codes. Would a programming problem cause any codes? I'm guessing not. There is definitely an unevenness in the early part of the accelerator travel; then, when it reaches a certain point, it catches. Once the engine gets a little warm, it's fine.
  • mbd57mbd57 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know what the storage compartment all the way in the back on the passenger side is for?
    It has attached velcro ties in it.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I got a speaker there.

Odie
    when you lift the rear hatch , on the left side there is a compartment that has two turn screws to let you remove, when you open it , it has 2 velcro straps that could be used to hold something in place. It's not on the floor but on the wall.
    the place you are refering to is the place where (depending on stereo) the Sub-woofer goes. I have a small cargo net holder on the driver's side all the way in the back where I keep a First Aid Kit.

so it should look like this;

Driver's Side ---------------- Passenger Side
    small cargo net box----------------sub woofer or compartment

Odie
    Thanks for the info
    odie!
  • officerozofficeroz Member Posts: 25
    Hi all, this forum has been enlightening as well as entertaining. Thanks to all who have posted.
    I am looking for a small SUV to replace my spouse's 99 Regal GS and the Tribute we drove a couple of days ago seems to fit the bill. The particular 2003 ES we drove did seem to have excessive wind noise, and some noticable road noise. Is this a phenomonom one should expect in SUV's of this size? We also drove the Buick Rendevous, which was nice, but also had what we felt was excessive road noise, and it had a 5000 dollar higher price tag, albeit with more features than the Tribute. I have read the owner's feedback pages and most people have had a pleasant experience with either iteration of the Ford/Mazda SUV, but a lot of them are concerned about fuel mileage. My wifes drives 70 miles per day to work and back, and mileage was one of the major considerations. Her Supercharged Buick Regal gets her about 23/24 mpg. Can she expect better or worse mileage from the Tribute/Escape? We live in the DFW area of Texas, so there are no hills, and she travels open hiway most, but some stop and go traffic.
    I apologize for the long post...
    officeroz
    You may want to think of a Front Wheel drive V6 Tribut ES rather than a 4WD model. I have a 4wd Escape and I average a strong 21.7MPG on average. On a trip I averaged a good 23.8MPG. I bet the front wheel drive V6 Trib would give you the MPG your looking for along with the performance.. Trib is a nice vehicle. Wind noise is common among these by the way...
  • rotarykidrotarykid Member Posts: 191
    We did have a few tribs that had their roof rack cross bars installed backwards causing excessive noise. Check to make sure the thumb wheels are toward the front of the vehicle and not the back.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    officeroz,
    Fuel mileage in any SUV is very dependent upon driving style. A lot of people have a heavy right foot, whether they admit to it or not, which greatly reduces their mpg.

I tend to take the "this ain't a sports car" view when driving our Escape. On our last long trip, ~500 miles of hilly highway, we calculated about 25 mpg (24 point something if I recall correctly). I had added an extra 3-5 psi above what Ford recommends in each tire to compensate for some extra weight. My over-compensation resulted in a slightly bumpier ride (not enough to complain about though) and the extra couple of mpg's.

The Escape goes to and from work each day as well. It's about a 14 mile round trip, all city with large hills, and we average about 20 mpg. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Hope that helps.
    Hi Folks,
    After an entire weekend, well Fri/Sat anyway, we finally bought a car. Strange how the process works, even after reading all the info provided by Edmunds regarding negotiating. Tried the internet sales approach, but had an S plan pin number, so was passed around to different folks in nearly every dealership. Bottom line, you have to REALLY hammer these folks if you have a trade in, as they tend to low-ball the trade, regardless of miles, year model, or condition. Hiley Mazda in Arlington, TX was where we finally ended up, but it was a 5 HOUR ORDEAL. However, we got a car with the equipment my spouse wanted, although not the color, and were fairly satisfied with the transaction. Tribute ES with lux package and cold pkg, with the rear bumber plate, the cargo tray, and perimeter alarm. List 25,089. and S plan yeilded 23,303. Kinda felt they could have done better without the S plan, since a dealer a few miles up the road was advertising 2K off sticker, no add ons, plus the 1k rebate. but we got them up on her Buick nearly 2K more than thier original offer, so we felt pretty good with the deal. The pebble ash color was not her first choice, but that was the only color in stock she could get with the packages she wanted on the ES.
    Of course, it was standing tall under the dealer's canopy after they washed and got it ready, but driving it home in the rain took care of that. Also purchased the drive train plus extended warranty for 60 months/75k miles for under 700. Nice driving car, and hope it is as trouble free as the Buick has been for the past 4 years and 65k miles, required nothing more than a set of tires at 55k, and normal maintenance every 3k miles. Still had the original brakes too...
    Thanks for the responses.
    officer oz
  • lotlizardlotlizard Member Posts: 6
    We are looking at the 2003 Tribute? What are the impressions of this so far? Has anyone experienced the stalling problem with this model year? Or transmission issues or anything else? We like many aspects of the Tribute, but these are real concerns in light of the track record of this vehicle relative to alternatives on the market. Any comments on likes or especially problems with the 2003 model year are appreciated.
    Your best bet is to get out on the net. There is a fairly large Escape/tribute chat room (I can't link you because I get in trouble)... They can answer any questions you have about 03 Tribs.

I bought an 01 Escape, (late 01) and after 20,000 miles its performed flawlessly. I use mine to tow 2 watercraft, skii, fish ect... and I really enjoy the vehicle...
    Good luck! let us know what you buy...
  • iceman17iceman17 Member Posts: 1
    On highway get cold air blowing in from outside of passenger side of front side outside upper corner. Even with heat on the cold blows through. Heat come in OK from center but cold overpowers it in this cold New England winter. Dealer says has seen it on others but Mazda says it is not an issue no suggested repair. My cold feet do not agree. Any suggestions or similar problem?
    Sorry, I don't have cold air coming through by my feet.. However, maybe a vent is not closing or opening correctly? or all the way? I would find it hard to believe there could actually be a hole in the fire wall of your vehicle... but hey, who knows??? Have you looked for yourself?
  • sgardnersgardner Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new 2003 Tribute last November and it has been a nightmare. With the first rain just 2 weeks after I got it (with only 400 miles on the odometer), water poured in through the ceiling, leaving puddles in the front passenger seat. It also entered the rear of the vehicle, running down into the wheel well. Water has since come through one of the side doors. The brake pedal arm under the dash is significantly rusted, showing that water has been getting into the vehicle since the day it was made (it appears the roof was never properly sealed). I also have the water gurgle sound mentioned in other posts on this site. Now almost 4 months later I am still trying to get this resolved. I think Mazda should replace the vehicle since it has such serious problems. Mazda Corporate has been polite, but are not rushing to resolve the problem. Apparently there may be some quality issues with the 2003 models. You may want to do some more research before you buy.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    like more than just a quality control issue - more like a disaster!

Sorry to hear that. :-(

I follow this thread because I have a friend whose first new vehicle purchase ever was an '03 Tribute LX V6. So far he has 12K miles since last August, and nothing out of the ordinary, just oil changes. Knock on wood!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    He is still getting less than 20 mpg - about 18 actually - in mostly city driving. He is surprised, because he was expecting better. My opinion is he is a bit of a leadfoot though! Is 18 about right around town for the V6?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

My wife just purchased a 2003 Tribute less than two weeks ago, has already put 945 miles on it as of tongight, and has filled the tank 3 times. Lowest mpg was 21.8, and the last tank was 23.7. This is combined city/highway, about 1/3 stop and go. Very satisfied with the gas mileage. She is also very well satisfied with the vehicle itself, although for me, a rather large individual with size 13 shoes, that gas pedal and brake pedal are very close together. Sure wish it had a real tilt wheel too. It's a pain for me to get in and out of behind the steering wheel, but heck, that's why it's her car...
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    nippononly,
    I get about 20-21 mpg in our hilly city. I am not a lead foot with the Escape in my opinion.

Does your friend check the tire pressure regularly? A few psi can really make a difference. He could also try different brands of gasoline.
  • jefgovjefgov Member Posts: 9
    I’m looking for advice on replacing my original tires on my 2001 Tribute. The Firestone Wilderness HT’s are worn out after 36000 miles, and I think I can do better. But it seems like the P235/70-16 size is not common enough to be stocked and/or on sale.

Right now I’m being steered toward many different types by various dealers, which basically seems to be whatever type they have in stock and/or have the most of (and even different sizes, which I’m really not sure about). Some of the brands I’ve never even heard of before.

Right now I’m leaning toward the Yokahama Geolander HT or Michelins – either the LTX M/S or Cross Terrains, all of which I’d have to order since none are in stock anywhere near me. This is based on the reviews I’ve read at TireRack.com, which believe it or not has a lot of consumer reviews, good and bad, for all of the many tires they sell. It’s amazing so many people take time to write about their tire experiences.

Any advice on these two types, or any other recommendations? Now that these vehicles have been around for a few years, what types have you other Tribute/Escape owners used for replacements, and with what results?
    I've got Goodyear Wrangler RF-A (Rotation Free - Aquatread).. Granted they are a little on the expensive side, but they are 60,000 mile tires.
    As for Rain / Snow/ Dry traction.. I have not had a single problem, plus I've been deep enough in mud that the middle hub was hitting mud, and didn't need any help getting in (or out) of the situation.

Odie
  • 1badsidekick1badsidekick Member Posts: 135
    Hi all, I currently drive a '98 Suzuki Sidekick Sport 4dr 4x4 with 55k. I'm looking to trade it in soon for something newER and with lower miles. I'm looking at the '01 and '02 models, as I can't afford anything over about $18k right now. I actually half way made a deal on an '00 Mercury Mountaineer with V8 and AWD, but after gas prices shot up another dime, I decided to look around some more. What kinds of problems/issues have you had with the Escape/Tribute? I kinda favor the Tribute best of the two, but I like them both. After having such a basic vehicle, I'd like to step up to leather and a sunroof, but I guess we'll see. If any of you have any info that could be helpful, I'd certainly appreciate it. I kinda rushed the deal with the Mountaineer, but I need to think long and hard about that car payment and the insurance going up when I get a new vehicle. Thanks!
    Well, it appears that the Escape/Tribute have had too many problems for my taste. Looks like I'm going to be headed for Nissan and Honda. A little more expensive for a little less space, but at least I'll know it won't let me down. I hate to see that Ford has such a piece of crap on their model list. Looks like they'd get the picture and make some changes. Too bad, its a nice vehicle.
  • judibjudib Member Posts: 1
    I've had my Escape since July 2001, it now has 19,000 miles. No stalling problem as others have had but I have had the fuel pump replaced because it was making a noise. Also driving home from work this month, one of those -10 degree nights, I had driven almost 20 miles, stopped at the store, when I started it up a heard a noise. No power steering. The return line from the power steering pump came off and leaked fluid all over the inside of the engine compartment and the ground. Anybody else had that problem?
    All in all, I love my Escape, probably the nicest vehicle I have owned.
    Yeah, possibly one of the nicest vehicles you've ever owned. My dad said that about his '93 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi when it stranded him 30 days after he bought it with a bad alternator in the middle of a busy intersection. I'm one of the most picky and finnicky people about vehicles. I want reliability. I don't want to have to sit at the garage all the time just itching for a month I can drive my car without a problem. I honestly wish I wasn't this way, that way I could buy whatever I liked, without having to sit here in front of this screen going blind and getting carpel tunnel trying to find a good replacment for my '98 Suki yaki suki dookie puky Suzuki. You can thank my sister for coming up with that one while under the influence. I busted my kneecap getting into the thing today, cursed loudly in the parking lot of the high school where I teach, and then realized I had to limp back inside to get paperwork from the office. One more reason its time to get something bigger. Love the looks of the Escape/Tributes, and like the general features, but I saw a Rodeo last night that drew me in. Going to check it out tomorrow. Good luck with your Escape. They are very nice vehicles, I give ya that. Care to take some advice? Get yourself a nice extended warranty, that way you won't have to worry.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    a rodeo??? to quote consumer reports on the rodeo... "the rodeo lacks comfort, refinement and agility...crash test are unimpressive and reliability is subpar....

but the Escape in the consumer reports 2002 rating book is rated as very good. Which was the same rating for the Honda CR-V...

if you want reliability the isuzu isnt the palce to shop...according to consumer reports.
    I have researched these vehicles thoroughly, and I have found out that more people have had problems out of their Escapes/Tribs than the Rodeo. Keep in mind that the Rodeo has been around since the early 90s, and the Escape only since '01. Ford hasn't gotten all the bugs out yet. Give the escape a few more years, and it will be as great as the explorer. Consumer reports rates vehicles by lots of standards, but they also rate reliability being a -32% on the escape, with 0% being industry standard. The Honda CRV is rated at a +30%, they are on totally opposite ends of the spectrum. From what I've compiled, the worst years for the rodeo were up through the '99s, and after the redesign in '00, they have gotten quite a bit better. Little or no problems have been reported with the '00, '01, and '02s. Also, Isuzu has the 3 year/50k mile bumper to bumper warranty, versus Fords 3/36. Isuzu also offers the transferable 10 year/120k mile powertrain warranty, the best in the business. I heard something about the '03s being cut back to 75k, but the others are still at 10/120. That was one of my deciding factors, the warranty. Isuzu also has 5 year/60k roadside, and 10/100k rust. I had a 3/36 bumper to bumper on my Sidekick, and the time ran out before I hit the milage, and then the rear end went out. If it had been an Isuzu, it wouldn't have mattered. Again, I'm just considering, and if I can ultimately afford it, I'd go for a CRV, but they're still pretty expensive. I drove an '01 Rodeo when it was new 2 years ago, loved the thing to death. If you want to ride in a car that is choppy and bumpy, take an older Sidekick out for a spin, I guarantee you'll come back with saddle sores. The rodeo felt great to me, it handled and rode great. I'm not looking for the best, just an improvement over what I have now.
    Where are you looking in your research? I also own a 2001 Escape XLT v6 4wd with just over 20,000 trouble free fun miles. I use mine to skii, fish, hike and bike, and to tow my two watercraft and its performed like a champ. I have had my wifes Accord into the shop 3x, Escape 1x. The 1x was for bad gas... I did a non-scientific poll. I approached between 25-30 Escape/Trib owners of different models/years/trims over the last year or so. Struck a brief conversation about the vehicle and not one had any of these catastrophic problems. I would have thougth I would have run into at least 1 out of the 25-30 people that would have bashed Ford/Mazda, but not 1. Escape sales are way up, Trib sales are also in a slight increase. Looks like the word is spreading, these are reliable vehicles..
    Honda hides information/TSB's from the public.. Go to www.alldata.com and try to look up TSB inforamation on Honda...
    Most of my research is done right here on Edmunds. I read what other owners have said, and I read the tests of these vehicles. 20,000 miles is barely getting the thing broke in. I'm looking at people who have driven the car 50,000 miles or so, and how it's holding up there. I can't afford a new car every couple of years (I've had my current car 4 years now, its 5 years old) and I won't be able to afford a new car for a long time. If I got an escape now, it would already have 20,000 miles on it, and then I'd be set for getting all the problems. I'll continue to look at it, because I do like the style and features. However, I think "peace of mind" does play in this as well, since Isuzu has the 3/50k bumper to bumper, 10/120k powertrain and others. We're getting a ton of bad weather here in VA tonight into tomorrow, and I was out in it tonight, sitting my Suzuki, thinking "wonder if I can get this thing to 100k." I go through phases where I research all the nitty gritty in case something comes up and I decide to trade vehicles, but I always end up not doing it. However, the longer I wait, the less my car will be worth for trade in. Its only work 5 grand now. Oh well. "Such is life." Thanks for the positive info. I would like to buy american at some point, and my family has a history of Fords. My dad's last Ford was an '84 Mustang GT, he sold it in September with 225k on it, and minimal problems. Best car he's ever had. Too bad every car you have can't be that way.
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    My opinion, and experience. Most new vehicle today can easily and reliably reach or surpass 100K miles with no major problems.
    My experience is mostly with Ford vehicles, and I've had several that have gone over the 100K mark easily, and my family has as well. These include many Ford Escorts, Taurus' (or is that Tauri?), an F150, and Ranger all surpass the 100K mark with no major problems, and definatley not leaving me or my family stranded. The Ranger is still going strong at 220k miles, but did need a 5sp tranny replaced at just over 200k miles.

The other Fords I've owned (Probe, Windstars) also went 50 to 70k miles before I chose to trade them in to match my lifestyle changes. My current Fords are an 00' F250 SuperDuty at 55k miles, no problems outside warranty, (replaced IAC under warranty), and an 01' Escape with 22k miles which stalled once (many months ago), and I had the TSB applied, and no problems since.
    How many folks here take their CRV or Escape to the dealership at all of the maintenance intervals that the users manual calls for?

I have to admit that I do not, and never had, as it it just too inconvient to drop it off and arrange other transportation for the dealership visit.
    my Escape serviced at a dealership.
    I meant to post my above question the the CRV v Escape board.. doh.
    I'll continue to monitor the Escapes and Tributes, and I may end up springing for one yet, who knows. One advantage for me would be that the Ford dealer is much closer than any foreign motors dealer, even though the last time I was there, their service sucked (my dad was getting a part). I'm also going to keep looking at explorers and mountaineers as well. I plan to head out and do some testing tomorrow. Thanks for the info!
  • howards2howards2 Member Posts: 11
    I wonder if any Escape 2003 V6 owners have had any problems with stalling? They've been out now about six months I believe (came out sept 02?) Owners of 01s and 02s posted lots of such problems and Im wondering if the 03s have been fixed. Thanks
  • psouthardpsouthard Member Posts: 10
    Well, what can I say, other than to add my two cents based on having owned an 01 Trib since Sept. 2000. First problem happened in November 2000 with the wiper motor failing. The car was in the shop for 29 days that first time. I was upset but later convinced myself that all first year vehicles have some glitches. After that, a number of warranty items were repaired including replacement of the master brake cylinder (leaking) and a broken front stabilizer bar. There were also ongoing problems with the engine and transmission which finally became obviously apparent in early January when both the engine and transmission left me stranded once again. Now, after about 45 days, the dealer is still trying to fix the vehicle. A second engine is now being installed as the first replacement appears to have had problems to. I would RUN away from these vehicles based on my experience unless reliability is not an issue. For what it is worth, I should add that I love the vehicle when it works.
  • psouthardpsouthard Member Posts: 10
    I thought I would also mention that we were at the Toronto car show yesterday and have narrowed our replacement vehicle to a 03 Honda CRV. Just have to to a test drive now. I even have a hard time believing it. But, our experience with the Tribute makes a person look beyond the cosmetics of a vehicle. Lets be honest, the Tribute looks much better than the CR-V and what is the deal with the tailgate mounted spare - pure stupidity. However, no vehicle is perfect - a la Tribute. Looking beyond the CR-V skin, it offers a nice interior with I would say almost as much rear legroom. Much more than the RAV-4. It also offers to deliver a decent ride and from our side of things the most important quality - BOTH SHORT AND LONG TERM RELIABILTY. The only thing I feel sorry about is the person that eventually ends up with our POS.
  • rabuckrabuck Member Posts: 3
    Sat in the drivers seat of a new ES V6, leather, for the first time this morning. A new fully loaded vehicle I didn't buy because the drivers seat felt like I was sitting on a rock. Since this is my first posting am I being overly critical or are the seats comfortable? Let me hear from you people because I would love to take advantage of the 0% financing.
    In their testing the escape had one of the insurance agency's worst test results of a head on off centered crash of any vehicle tested.
    I think you are making a wise choice. If you want reliability, definitely go for a CRV. You'll also get better gas milage, but you'll also note less power, since the CRV doesn't come with a V6. However, the little 4 banger is pretty peppy, with 160 or 165 horses, can't remember now. When either C&D or MT first drove it, they said the tires would bark all the way through 3rd gear (manual tranny). My sidekick 1.8 has 120 horses, and is about the same weight. I can believe that. The styling may be a bit rounded, but it's clean and nice looking.

what is the deal with the tailgate mounted spare - pure stupidity.

Personally, I like the spare tire on the door. That way, it isn't inside the car taking up precious cargo space, and it isn't underneath the car, so when you are stranded with a flat, in 20 degree weather, wind blowing 30mph, in the dark, that you have to crawl underneath the vehicle and retrieve the spare tire before you can even change it. With the spare on the door, it saves that from happening. However, the drawbacks are decreased visability through the back window, and the possibility of backing into something with it. Those can be prevented, but a flat tire often cannot. My sidekick has the tire on the back door as well, and at first it took some getting used to by not being able to see very well out the back window, but I don't mind it now. I use my side mirrors more anyway. Good luck! Hope you get your trib back soon so you can get on the road in a Honda.
    After spending an hour browsing through these town hall messages I wouldn't purchase either on a bet. Hello Honda or Toyota. Quality and reliability are job one.