Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Brakes and Rotors

2»

Comments

• smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    the early G35s and FXs were notoriously bad when it came to rotors and brake pads: actually, in the beginning of 2003 or 2004 it wasn't covered under warranty and Infiniti was sued and forced to cover rotors and brakes under warranty because of the amount of people having problems with them and complaining: I had a 2005 FX35 that needed the rotors resurfaced and brake pads replaced every 10k miles while I leased it: luckily it was all covered under warranty but suffice it to say I didn't keep the FX because of these issues because they would have added up to alot of money year after year once the warranty expired: each time the car was done the bill was $300-400 bucks a pop: I was in the dealership over the years many times with people with 03-07 G35s having the same issues that I did with brakes and rotors every 10-15k miles: its a shame because except for the brake/rotor issues, my FX35 was absolutely excellent and problem free for the 42 months I had it!!! best of luck on your decision!!
  • pb512pb512 Member Posts: 3
    I bought my 2006 G35 6MT Sedan new in Feb 06. I have 45,000 miles on it now. Just replaced the tires a couple of thousand miles ago, and checked the brake pads while the wheels were off. Front pads still looked ok w/ plenty of pad thickness, but the rear pads were getting a little thin. (I was a little surprised that the rear pads wore faster then the fronts). Anyway, I have been very happy with the performance of the original brakes. The car stops great, no noise/squeals, no "shimmy". There is some noticable brake dust and perhaps other pads could have lasted longer, but like with tires, I'm ok with sacrificing shorter life for better performance. I don't do any track/racing, but I do drive my car pretty hard.

So, I am now looking to purchase new pads (I'm comfortable doing the install myself), and am looking for some recommendations for some relatively affordable, good performance brake pads. Anyone have any good experiences?

Thanks, and happy holidays.
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    Nothing at all wrong with 45,000+ miles on a set of brake pads.

Were those the OEM tires that you just replaced???
  • annettenjannettenj Member Posts: 4
    I brought my car in for servicing today only for an oil change and ended up needing new rear brakes at 20,000 miles. Dealer said the pads are real soft and wearing out between 18,000 and 22,000 miles. Is anyone else having this problem? BTW I had no signs like noise either.
    20,000 mile sounds a bit early for rear brakes. Maybe the dealer thought he doing you a favor by replacing the pads before you started to hear anything from the wear indicators.

How much did they charge for the rear pads?

Were the front ones replaced earlier, or are they still OK?
  • annettenjannettenj Member Posts: 4
    No problem with front brakes. Around $370..rotors also resurfaced.
  • frank8040frank8040 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2007 G35x with 24k and I started to notice a faint squeal (thought it was because of cold winter temps outside) about a month ago. I brought the car in for oil change and dealer told me that I rear pads where at their minimums and I should replace them at next oil change. They quoted me about $350 with parts and labor.
  • echance01echance01 Member Posts: 3
    Looking to replace my brake pads and am currently looking at 3 options. Any thoughts, opinions, better ideas. Looking for minimal noise, increased rotor life, low dust... use for everyday driving.
    1. Hawk HPS: High Performance street
    2. Hawk PC: Performance Ceramic
    3. Project U NS Street Pads
    I don't have personal experience with any of the pads you mentioned. Most people seem to be happy with Hawk products. The HPS's will probably produce a bit more dust but be easier on your rotors than the PC's.
  • brian151brian151 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    I love this car and have had no problems with it but for the brakes. On reading the posts I can see premature brake wear has been a problem with earlier years of this model, but I don't see anything like the problem I'm having with my 2008 G35X. Front rotors were turned under warranty at 11,231 miles. All rotors turned and pads replaced at 27,936 miles due to only one of the 8 pads being worn out! I paid the full bill because dealer said this was "normal" for a sport sedan. After significant discussion about how only one pad could get worn out, I got 50% of the bill covered and accepted the rest as "betterment". Now less than a year later at 50,842 miles I've got symptoms of warped rotors and I'm told I need to do the pads again because another single pad is down to the safety-fail limit. So my question is, has anyone else been successful getting Infiniti to acknowledge they have a problem with the braking system or parts quality that causes individual pads to wear faster than others? I'm a very consistent driver and almost all the miles are highway use, so there is no excuse for $800 to $1500 bills every year.
  • g35xchangg35xchang Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 G35X, the car started shaking when brake is appied at 24000 mile, I took it to dealer and they told me the front brake rotor is out of round, they fixed the problem for free. I am at 34000 miles now, the shaking problem happened again, I took it to dealer today and was told the car needs new rear brake pad, it will cost me $395. I live in montgomery county, md.

I was afraid of getting ripped off by the dealer but seems like that is a reasonable price for rear brake work after reading posts on this thread.
  • tiger93tiger93 Member Posts: 57
    Wow, your experience is the complete opposite of mine regarding the brake and rotor issue. My 2008 G35X is at the dealer right now getting new rotors and pads all the way around - all under warranty at 19,900 miles. A couple of weeks ago I detected warped rotors (it's been 15 years since I had a car with warped rotors) while driving so I booked the appointment with the expectation any rotor problem would be covered under warranty. The service advisor called me today to inform me that the there was a "bulletin" issued for a rotor and/or pad problem by Infiniti.
  • sri125sri125 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 model. I have had 2 sets of pads replaced , paid for by Infiniti, after I complained of premature wear out. Hope this helps.
  • rbindonrbindon Member Posts: 4
    I had the same experience. My 2004 G35X when under warranty was in for regular service and they just did a free brake job because they felt the pad wear was excessive for the mileage it had. Didn't find out till I picked it up; they just did it, no questions asked
  • infinitigcoupeinfinitigcoupe Member Posts: 1
    Where did you take you car to have this work done. I called Passport out in Alexandria and they told me starting at $500 up to $670. This of course depends on if any rotor work will need to be done!
  • devozdevoz Member Posts: 19
    Purchased a used 2007 G35x late last year, had break issues, (vibration while braking, so seemed like rotor warpage), dealer took the car to Infiniti, fixed under warranty. However, they didn't replace the rotors, they resurfaced them. (~28K miles). Just put the car in for its 30K service, problem came right back in a couple of months, they are resurfacing the rotors again, again under warrantee. There is clearly an issue that they are trying not to resolve (replace the danged rotors kids!)....

Not sure what I will do about it, but its all in the service records so I think there are issues with the rotors, probably wears the pads prematurely, you pay for the pads, they resurface the rotors, bingo.

Hmmmm.

-Joe
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    I also have a 2007 g35x bot new - and at 17k miles the breaks really started to make noise- they resurfaced them -- 5k miles at 22k the car went in for an oil change and they told me the rear pads would have to be replaced. I've had 2 new cars in my life - acura integra 2000 which i drove for 40k and a 2003 Vw jetta Gli v6 with no break issues and also 40k miles-- SOME TING WRONG with this-- 22k - car never tracked or beaten on. JOKE
  • carexpert08carexpert08 Member Posts: 49
    I lease my car in october of 2008 last year december of 2009 the car had 15000 mile. I felt my steering wheel shake when I was braking also the indicators started to go off. I took it my dealer who stated my rear pads are worn out. I told him I believe that it way to early for a brake job mileage wise and it is ridiculous that I have to pay $390 dollars for rear brakes. The following week after that I went to a different dealership who told me that this is a warranty issue and they will be able to replace my front brakes and rotors under warranty but since the previous delaer stated in the system that my rear pads are worn out warranty wouldnt be able to cover them; therefore I paid $250 for the rear brake job, new pads and they sharpened my rotors. Now I am at 22500 miles and again I have the same problem with my brakes. I don't believe I should have to pay for this service again and I would like to find out what other choices do I have. This seems ridiculous that brake pads need to be changed so quickly. Thank You everyone in advance
  • simonkenton2simonkenton2 Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2010
    My girlfriend loves the Infiniti.
    She had a I35, unfortunately it got totalled.

She has her heart set on a nice 2007 G35X with 30K miles on it.

I don't want to get caught up in this brake problem.

Is there a good aftermarket set of rotors and pads that will cure the problem?

Thanks,
    Scott
  • mjwojnamjwojna Member Posts: 2
    Steering wheel vibrating when brakes applied. Dealer in New Orleans metro area determined that rotors were warped. Dealer replaced brake shields and resurfaced rotors with lathe at no cost to me. They mentioned that Infiniti had issued a service bulletin regarding the rotors (ITB09-037B). Other then getting 15 mpg in the city on premium fuel, the car has been a joy to drive. Great handling, fast and comfortable on long distance trips.
  • berctesgadenberctesgaden Member Posts: 3
    My 2008 G35x needed new brakes at 44,000 km. They dealer told me there is a problem with the brakes, shrouds and rotors failing early. They fixed it under warranty, but now my car is at 94,000km and is off warranty and the brakes need to be fixed again. This is one of many problems with this low quality car which I bought new in 2008. The dealer always tells me that I am not the only one who has come in for these issues (brakes, rust/paint issues, fit & finish problems, gasket problems. In the past most of these issues were covered under warranty, but know my car s off warranty. Man Infiniti totally sucks for quality. After seeing all of the problems with Infiniti, Toyota/Lexus, and Honda, I know I will never buy a Japanese car again. American cars all suck, so that leaves Zee Germans!
  • berctesgadenberctesgaden Member Posts: 3
    My 2008 G35x needed new pads, rotors and brake shield/shrouds at 44,000km and again at 94,000km. The first was covered under warranty. The dealer is arguing about it know because the vehicle is off warranty. Infiniti sucks. One of many quality problems I have had (rust/paint, brakes, gaskets, fit&finish, etc)
    50,000 miles, rotors clearly working their way to warp-land again. These things have weak rotors. Wonder what Infiniti will do this time around.

This is now;

1) rotors warped at 28K
    2) rotors warped, put all new breakpads on (my cost) at 38K
    3) rotors warped again at 50K

And I avoid hard braking.

--Joe
  • nolicnolic Member Posts: 11
    I currently have a 2007 G35 coupe and a 2008 M35, both rear brake pads had been replaced by Hawk HPS pads at approximately 25K miles and the front for the M35 at 30K.... the G35 at 31K miles does not need the front yet. They are simply the best. I purchased the Hawk HPS pads on the internet for approx. $70.00 per set and had it installed by an auto repair shop for $150.00 per axle including rotors resurfacing. The dealer wanted almost $300.00 per axle which was too expensive. I also had a 2004 FX35, rear brake pads were replaced at 45K miles and the front at 60K with an EBC green pads which were also very good but I prefer the Hawk HPS. It bites and grab better than the EBC green pads and brake dust hardly exist for both.
    Dealer replaced all 4 rotors and installed new brake shields under warranty given the history. Nice to have that warranty.... From here on in though, I will be on my own.....

Also had a bad wheel bearing, again fixed under warranty.

Love the car, worried about future maintenance of the brakes, Infiniti is not cheap when you go out of warranty!

Dealer said the rotor replacement and wheel bearing would have totalled 1300 dollars......
  • ala_amitala_amit Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I have Infiniti g35 sedan 2005 model, I bought from the dealer in 2008. I had to replace front and back break pads and rotors when I was at 45k and now I am 61k and again both sets gone bad, also now I need bearings as well so my question is does this cover under warranty , I read forums and found that some were able to use the warranty ..... Am I able eligible

Please let me know as looks like lot of money is again going to get out of my pocket

Thanks in advance
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    edited August 2011
    I think the brakes warranty is only for 2002 to 2004. Even if it's in the warranty, it's a 7 years old car so, the warranty should be over already.
  • gpets77gpets77 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone please help with what I should be paying approx with labour and parts for 2005 infinity g35x for front pads, rotors and calipers? Thanks for your help.
    Call up an Infinity dealer and one or two independent shops and see what their estimates are.

Then, go to someplace like Rock Auto on line and price out all the parts you mentioned. Double the parts cost to get a rough estimate of having someone do the work for you. That is, if the parts come out to be $600, then another $600 for installation gives you $1200 total.
  • germancarssuckgermancarssuck Member Posts: 1
    Ha!!! good luck with those. i used to own a BMW 5 series, the biggest bucket of s*** i have owned. computer problems, sensor problems, and yes , rotors, brakes, tranny...you name it, the dealer always said, it needed maintenance...ha! it never broke... i sold it before i run out of warranty, or i would have to sell my house to pay for repairs (sorry i meant maintenance !!)
  • bludvigsenbludvigsen Member Posts: 1
    I picked up my 2003 G35 sedan with 98K on the odo and I've got 113500 on it now. Rear brakes were replaced and front rotors were turned when I got it. Now the entire front end doesn't wobble as much as it shudders when hitting the brakes at 70-80 mph (coming off a freeway exit).

I don't brake hard either.

The brake components are weak and not designed for a car this heavy. That's definitely one of the design flaws of this car - and brakes are sort of critical for getting from A to B safely.

The rest of the car is OK, but the rule of thumb of never to buy the first generation of any make/model car holds true.
  • lattanzilattanzi Member Posts: 2
    The brakes on my 2007 G35S squeal/squeak. It only squeals at a certain part during the brake process - right before I come to a complete stop and after I've already slowed down quite a bit. Hopefully that makes sense. It squeals in the middle of braking. I don't hear it when I'm in motion or when I first start braking. I took it to the Infiniti dealership to have it checked out. They said the brakes seem to be fine, however the pads seem more worn out on the front than the back. They said they could resurface and clean the brakes/rotors to see if that eliminates the noise. They quoted me at $200 per pair for cleaning and resurfacing? That seems extremely high to me.

Has anyone else had an issue similar to this and have any recommendations? Also, how much should I really be looking at if I were to have my brakes resurfaced and clean?

Thank you,
    Nathan
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    I'm not sure how much you should be charged for re-surfacing, but if yours is a RWD model, I can tell you that my 2003 model chewed through brake pads and rotors. If they've never been replaced, you should anticipate replacing them. My rotors, for replacement, were only $99 a pair, so I probably wouldn't clean/resurface if you can get close to that.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• lattanzilattanzi Member Posts: 2
    And I heard that you would need to replace the brake pads when resurfacing the rotors anyway?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    That's how it was with mine - every time you change the pads, you needed to change the rotors, so I am guessing the inverse is true. I was never offered the re-surfacing option, possibly because it couldn't be done on 2003 models, or possibly because my service tech knew the difference in price would be nearly irrelevant.

In any case, if they've never been replaced (either), it is probably just time - wear & tear items. You might want to wait for other opinions, or get a 2nd opinion, but that's my experience. I always got that stuff done at an independent shop in my area, not the dealer$hip.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• gojagsgojags Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2012
    "every time you change the pads, you needed to change the rotors"
    I just purchased my 07 G35x and have not changed brake pads yet but, I can say the the REQUIREMENT to change rotors when you change pads throws up a red flag. I've had several cars in my life, my wife driving an 08 RDX and I've never heard of that.

In general, rotors can be "turned" until a specified thickness (thin-ness?) is reached which, at that point, requires replacement.

If you MUST replace your rotors when you replace your pads, the rotors have issues (possibly a design flaw) or are exotic in nature. I would bet on the first.

That being said, I've done considerable research on my 07 G35x and brake rotors are an issue on this year's g35's. I don't know if the 35s or 35MT have the same issue as they are larger.

Change pads when changing rotors question: Absolutely. It would be foolish to change rotors and not replace the pads.
    when your rotors wear, they generally to not wear perfectly even (flat). Your pads will have been reshaped by your worn rotors (not perfectly flat). When you put your new rotors on (perfectly flat) your pads will not "sit" against your rotors "square" and will greatly reduce how effective your brakes are.

Hope this helps.
  • gojagsgojags Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2012
    Has anyone upgraded your brakes - pads, rotors, calipers? My 07 G35x is known to have sub-par breaks and I would like to rectify this issue. StopTec and Hawk offer pads as well as complete upgrades but I have yet to hear an owner of an 07/08 G35 make any claims.

Can I replace my rotors/pads with G35s/G356MT? Any knowledgeable advice would be appreciated.
  • g35asbg35asb Member Posts: 2
    This is not a reply to any specific post, just a general observation of this thread's subject. I've owned 9 street and 2 race cars so far - all 2-seater sports cars except the 2005 G35 Coupe 6MT. Some had various brake problems, all of which were solved by ignoring all warranties, STAYING AWAY FROM CAR DEALERS at any cost, dealing with small shops or doing my own work with after-market parts.

In the G35's case, replacing all pads with Akebono ceramics and all rotors with Brembo plain ones (not cross drilled or slotted) cured the wear and warp problems. Plain rotors are stronger and easier on the pads. Unless you plan to do track days or go racing, cross-drilling and slotting is a waste.

Main point here is I've learned long ago to never trust dealers or pay heed to their BS in order to make more money. In the long run, I did better paying my own way rather than seeking a warranty fix.
    Its now 2012, 80K miles. Front rotors are warped again. Rear caliper went, just replaced rear brake pads and rotors with it (they were warped).

Need some reccomendations on aftermarket costs, Infiniti charges TONS for rotors and break pads, and labor, I suspect I can get premium gear for that cost at some other garage (not dealer).

Car is nice, but quite the revenue generator. If you are looking at G35x used, beware of the brakes, they will KILL YOU cost wise. Car is great, but not that great :-)

Thanks - Joe
  • nolcornolcor Member Posts: 1
    I used EBC 3GD series rotors and HAWK HPS pads for my 2004 INFI FX35, 2008 M35 and 2007 G35 and they are great. It's almost dust free and much better than original. It's a bit expensive but much less than dealership. Bought it from partsgeek.com and had it installed by a local mechanic
  • thundercrackerthundercracker Member Posts: 14

i buy all my rotors and akebono pads online and then take them to a local shop to have them put on. my local shop only charges me 1 hr of labor to remove old set and install new rotors and pads (for the front or back set). this hsa been a a good way for me to control the products that are put on my car, while at the same time, saving a good chunk of money. I've replaced rotors and pads on my 08g35x once on the front and once on the back. Each time the cost for parts and labor (non dealer) have been about the same as what the dealer was asking for just new pads and resurfacing the rotors.

just something to consider.