Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge-Plymouth Neon Starting/Stalling

Comments

• bessiesmombessiesmom Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Neon that is misfiring and then stalling out. She particularly doesn't like left hand turns. If the gas tank is full she runs better but as soon as it gets to 3/4 of a tank it just gets worse and worse. I recently had to have a seal replaced because tranny fluid was leaking out. I think it was the cam shaft seal. I read on this site that cam shaft pin being broken can cause similar problems. Any thoughts...please help. I have already spent over $500.00 trying to fix this problem. At this point I think I am just being taken advantage of.
  • ronc59ronc59 Member Posts: 6
    Thought someone might like to know what I found with my 97 2.0 DOHC, To recap, it would just shut down at any given time and wouldn't restart till you shut the key off then re started. The problem turned out to be the entire wiring harness. it looked fine on the outside but once opened I found all the wires were kinda melted together. had to strip the harness and separate and reinsulate all the wires. the main ones were the cam and crank sensor wires. My local dealer told me that is common, although I messed with this problem for 2 months and couldn't get any answers from anyone. So if you loose your crank signal, look at your wiring, all of it.
  • jdoucettejdoucette Member Posts: 1
    Hi . My granddaughter has a 1998 plymouth neon that every now and then loses power. Everything keeps running but the car will not move. Can anyone help with this as it is getting expensive. Thank you My email is joedoucette@eastlink.ca
  • soup05001soup05001 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Ply Neon that has no spark i have replaced no coil and as it rolls over behind the mileage it flashes FUSE . I have checked all the fuses and they look good.Can someone help me out ? Thanks
  • monchemonche Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know where the starter is on a 98 neon
  • mistered1mistered1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello - my name is Ed and I live rurally outside the small town of LaPine, OR. I have owned many Dodges from my first, a pristine '65 four door Dart to my current a 2000 Neon which is where the "Help Needed" part comes in. About 2 months ago on a routine run I make and upon return it began to "stumble" and lose power. I pulled over and it continued to to idle but very rough. I was out of cell range and in the mountains so it was spend the night in the car or try to limp it along. It started up again and idled ok but would not accelerate. I shut it off and waited a few minutes and it started up and seemed to run fine. it made it the next 50 miles and then it stumbled again. It would not come back to normal this time but it did get me home at approximately 20 mph for about 10 miles. The check engine light came on and set the codes, # 1684 and 0171 which I have already researched. Fortunately a good friend of mine is a well respected mechanic in my area and I took it to him for some ideas. He ran it all afternoon on the scanner and it did not repeat the problem. A few days later the codes cleared, the light went out and for the next month and a half it seemed to run fine until this week. It started "stumbling" again but this time the check engine light would flash four times and not stay lit. I talked to him and fortunately he happens to have a 98 Neon in his shop with a blown motor so he suggested I take the coil pack and swap it out to see if that was the problem. It was not and started to stumble again but would eventually run. He suggested I try swapping out the crank position sensor with the one from the dead Neon. I did that last night and it seemed to run ok. Ironically I had to make the same run today and it ran great to where I had to go but on the return trip started "stumbling" again AND at almost the same location as the first time a couple months ago, but this time it would idle ok but pushing the gas pedal did nothing. I shut it off, waited a few minutes and started it up again and as the first time ran fine for about 50 miles and then again almost at the same location on the way home started stumbling, the check engine light began flashing the four times but this time, as before, it stayed lit and set the same codes again - 1684 and 0171. As before it stumbled for awhile and then suddenly came to life and seemed to run normally but with the check engine light on. My mechanic friend is bewildered as am I. Any ideas? I am ready to go nuts here. The bottom line is it definitely seems like an ignition problem (as opposed to fuel) because when it stumbles it is like a switch turning the engine on and off. PCM going bad? HELP!!!! Thanks - Ed
  • duelly95duelly95 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 2.0 that runs normal sometimes, and sometimes seems to be running on one cylinder. I have checked wiring and replaced the injectors, but nothing so far has made a difference. I did notice that when it stumbles If I step the gas pedel all the way to the floor it takes off like crazy. I cant seem to find any similar problems here where you can push the gas pedel all the way down and it runs perfect and has tons of power. This happens from time to time not a constant issue. But I did notice the full throttle option will at least get you away from a stop light. Otherwise you can barely get out of your own way. I need some help here as this car is for my son when he starts to drive in a short while.
  • menickmenick Member Posts: 1
    While I was working as a auto technician I had seen the same problem you are having. Has your fuel pump been replaced? The reason I ask is that sometimes "In Tank Fuel Pump Modules" are very difficult to change, especially when there is a lot of fuel in the tank. When installing the new fuel pump module, some technicians are not very careful and end up bending the whole unit. When the unit is bent to either the right or left, it is not fully submerged when the fuel level drops. One way to test this is to hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the rail with a long enought hose that you can see the gauge while driving. Make sure your tank is below 1/4 tank and just keep making left hand turnd, Watch the gauge while turning (careful; don't crash) and see if the pressure drops. If the pressure drops, then you might have a bent fuel pump module. Good Luck
  • mac1971mac1971 Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 96 neon , I replaced plugs, wires, cam sensor and the car keeps stalling on her while driving. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dawn1012dawn1012 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, my name is Dawn.. I own a 1995 Dodge Neon. I bought it for 600 off a co-worker and since then I've put almost 2000 dollars into it... I am a single mother of two so I can't afford to just give up now I need to fix this problem. Some of the things I've put into it are.. Rotors, brakes, tie rods, ball joints, sway bars, callipers, radiator, and just recently wheel bearings.

So now it seems to do this thing where it will putt when you accelerate, as if you were just moving from a red light, it will putt once in a while, sounds like its backfiring, and then it feels like it isn't getting enough gas. I was thinking it was the fuel pump but you can hear it turn on when you start the car? So anyway.. it seems to only do this when it's hot outside, as if I drive it at night when I get off work at 1 am it drives fine, like a champ. When it stalls out the whole engine shakes and then when its out, its out. It won't start for a while, hour or two, and then when it finally will start, its hard to get it to start but then it runs perfectly fine. Sometimes the battery even dies from trying to start the car because usually I am trying to get somewhere in a certain allotted amount of time. It's not overheated because it's right where it should be in between C and H on the gage. There is a hole in my PCV hose that I just recently noticed and I was wondering if this was causing the problem? Maybe it's sucking air into the engine? It's the only solution I could come up with. If anyone has any other general areas I should look into it would be greatly appreciated as I don't know much about cars and taking it to the shop as many times as I have has gotten extremely costly..

Thank you so much!
  • dawn1012dawn1012 Member Posts: 2
    No I have not had the fuel pump replaced... Do you think that could be the problem? I don't want to put any more money into this car unless I know for sure that is the problem and it will be 100% fixed, you know? It's rough enough as it is for me. Is there somewhere, like Autozone, that I can get it tested free of charge? Or should I just take it to an auto shop?
  • hollowaytatahollowaytata Member Posts: 3
  • hollowaytatahollowaytata Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Dodge Neon and it is a great car and I love it. But sometimes it cuts out when you put it in reverse and a few times it has done it in drive and sometimes if you don't go quick enough it will die but then it starts back fine. And sometimes it is worse when first starting but does fine after driving for awhile. Any ideas on what it could be?
  • mrsslimmrsslim Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Plymouth Neon I bottomed out in a big puddle and now, when I put it in Drive it blows the fuse for the ignition any Ideas? :sick: I'm at a loss
    Have you looked in the trunk for a reset button according to my book some neons have as a safety switch
    check your fuses
  • blueberryneonblueberryneon Member Posts: 2
    I am by no means a pro with cars but that sounds more like an electrical problem like maybe with the distibuter? have someone check the wiring and fuses and everything before you go and replace the starter.
  • jorge11jorge11 Member Posts: 1
    CAN SOME ONE TELL ME HOW TO FIX THIS PROBLEM.
    THANK YOU,
    jlp
  • tech1helptech1help Member Posts: 18
    do you have a manual or automatic transmission?
    have you checked the fuel pressure at the fuel rail?it should be around 43 psi when starting. Then it should drop to about 38 psi while running. anything more or less than that indicates your pressure regulator is going bad.
    what type fuel do you use. Do you pour gas treatment into the fuel tank before filling up every so often?Do you get a check engine light? if you do is it flashing or staying on?a few things may be wrong. this most common is a fuel pressure regulator going bad or random multiple misfires.
  • kmessingerkmessinger Member Posts: 1
    ive got a 95 neon that starts just fine and runs until it gets up to operating temp then stalls and starts again but wont stay running what is this can anyone help me sort this out
  • BIGDADDYHORTONBIGDADDYHORTON Member Posts: 35
    CHANGE THE COIL PACK AND THROTTLE BODY, THE THROTTLE BODY'S ON THESE THINGS SUCK, TRY CHECKING OUT. WWW.MODERNPERFORMANCE.COM. THE CAN HELP WITH THE PARTS.
    THIS MAY OR MAY NOT HELP YOU OUT, BUT THERE IS A PICKUP SCREEN ON THE FUEL PUMP IN THE TANK AND SOME TIMES WITH CARS THAT HAVE BEEN AROUND A WHILE YU GET TRASH AS WE CALL IT IN THE TANK AND WHEN TURNING THE TRASH SLOSHES ONTO THE SCREEN TEMPORAILY BLOCKING THE FUEL, I HAVE HAD THIS HAPPEN ON OTHER CARS NOT MY NEON AND AFTER FLUSHING THE TANK OUT AND INSTALLING NEW FUEL FILTER AND SCREEN THE PROBLEM STOPPED, HOPE THIS MAY HELP YOU OUT ON THIS PROB.
    DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY CABLE WHILE THE CAR IS RUNNING, IF IT STAY ON THEN YOUR ALTINATOR IS FINE IF IT DIES GO GET IT CHECKED, THEY WILL OVER CHARGE AS WELL AS UNDER, CHECK THE BATTERY SOMETIMES YOU CAN HAVE ONE DEAD CELL, IT WILL CHARGE BUT WON'T HOLD IT.
    FOR THE PRICE ALSO CHANGE THE CRANK SENSOR. THIS MAY HELP, AS THEY START TO GO BAD WHEN THEY GET HOT IS WHEN THEY ACT UP.
  • jsg187jsg187 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I've been reading through some of these posts and it seems like many of you have had the same problem -- with many different solutions. My '97 started stalling right after I start it, unless I give it gas. It will also stall when I decelerate. It seems to have trouble maintaining a stable idle speed when it does run.

I know its not the spark plugs and I just had the fuel system cleaned. It ran great for about 10 miles after I picked it up, and now I can't even keep the engine going. I'm hoping for a little insight. There's no engine light.

Thanks for helping.
  • pcgeekpcgeek Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I have a 95 SOHC that started flashing the check engine light 2 days ago...now the thing has stalled and blew the 20A fuse under the hood. I have no charging or battery problems. It does have an intermittent MAP sensor. Did the PCM go bad?? :confuse:
  • emstropeemstrope Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 plymouth neon. It stalls and surges alot. You reset the computer and it runs good untill the computer logs in the trouble codes then it starts stalling and the only to get it to go is by mashing on the gas. I repaced the throttle body once the tps about 5 times, idle control unit a few times,map sensor the whole nine yards. Yesterday i replaced the computer and stiil no luck. It runs good for a few miles then starts medding up. ANY IDEAS?????? No codes show up besides the o2 sensor
  • huck76huck76 Member Posts: 2
    00 Neon Automatic The car is not starting. Lights are bright, and I had jumpers on anyway. Car is doing nothing. No clicks, no noise when key is turned at all. Car is automatic, I noticed that the car rolls when in any gear other than park. Does this indicate any of the problems?

I tapped on the starter w hammer, no change.

I guess I am wondering if there is some kind of transmission switch or something stopping it from starting.

Any help please! Thanks
    Jodi.
  • dobberdandobberdan Member Posts: 2
    I am working on a 96 neon dohc. It starts hard hot or cold without slight depress of acc. pedal. After it does start it runs rough for about 15 to 20 sec. then clears up and idles fine, also smells rich. Changed intake gasket, after car was taken to advance auto(obd scan) and was told #1 cyl was running rich. Sorry about dumbness. Since then have checked voltage at tps sensor 1 volt at closed throttle& 4 volts at wot. All injectors seem to be clicking(screwdriver to ear) About the same #1 is alittle louder than the rest.Fuel press. at 50 lbs, also pulled connecters off injs. at idle and made adifference at idle, have'nt checked to see if fuel press. is dropping after shut car off yet. Wondering if 1 or more injs. are leaking after shut off causing flood like condition or another sensor could be involved. Have checked codes with key on off on off on method, getting 24 tps&27 injector driver code. Don't understand #24 tps code since voltage seems to be in specs. Any input would be greatly appreciated since my wife's nephew has the car sold if I can get it starting right.Thanks.
  • casey78casey78 Member Posts: 1
    hello all i have a 95 sohc neon that would sputter then stall as if it wasn't getting any fuel i spent over 800 at my local shop's and they couldn't find what was wrong with it so i had my brother inlaw look at it and the problem was so figging simple we pulled the fuel rail off and lo wen behold the injector's were clogged with dirt so we looked around and found that the gas filler neck was rotten and the dodge dealer said this is vary common on these car's from 95 to 99 and it would allow sand and water to get into the tank so before spending to much money try looking to see if you have dirt in the tank after 800 dollar's the real fix was 20 buck's at the junk yard. hope this will help some one.
  • lakersgrl05lakersgrl05 Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone, I am new here... hoping to find some answers here.

I have a 99 neon with automatic transmission. Lately I have been having a bizarre problem. The problem started one day when the car didn't want to start- I had to pump the gas a little bit to get it to turn on. Then when I was pulling out of the parking lot, when I pressed on the break (going less than 5 mph), the car completed stalled out and turned off... luckily I was still in my parking lot. I was able to turn the car back on, and I revved the engine a bit, and then it ran fine.

The car does stall a bit when trying to accelerate, and it seems to get stuck around 40 mph. I really have to press on the gas to get it to go- like when getting on the highway.

The main problem is stalling when I am pressing on the brake slowing down around 5-10 mph it will shudder and stalls out and act like it is going to die. It has not turned off since that first time. It does not do this problem all the time, but lately it seems to be doing it more often.

Any clue of what this could be? I do have an oil leak, but I had the oil changed last weekend, so that should be fine.

Any help is appreciated... I am not a car person at all and I'm tired of getting ripped off by car shops here!
  • hellcat1988hellcat1988 Member Posts: 15
    My suggestions would be a change of the air filter and spark plugs. If that doesn't work, you might have to try replacing your cam/crank sensors. First and formost, go to a parts sore and pick up the haynes repair manual. It will give you hints on what might be wrong and ways to fix it. It'll also give you a better chance at fixing it WITHOUT having to take it to a shop.
  • poopstainpoopstain Member Posts: 1
    I've been having the same problem.But I think I may know what they problems is.I don't know the terms for all car parts so forgive my ignorance. I bought a used neon and it would stall and die out on the road and I would have to let it sit for along time to get it running again. I've change fuses spark plug wires and the sparkplug coil box bolted on the top of the engine. I've been told that it can be the coilbox that go out if the engine gets to hot. They are about 100 bucks at autozone. That didn't fix the issue for me though. There is part of the wiring harness that runs along the the air filter box and across the front of the fuel rod. if you move that around it engine will stall. I had to remove the cheap plastic cover on the fuel rod.Then I had to peel off some of the insulation tape zip tie the wires when the car was idling ok. I popped out those U shaped electrical line holder on the air filter box and used the hole to zip tile the electrical line under the airfilter box so it wont move. Until I can the electrical part fix or get rid of this car it seems to help. So start up the car move the electrical wire around nect to the air box and the fuel rod it it start to chug zip tie it so it won't move when your driving otherwise you will have to hitch hike down the road. Because when the engine is moving from shifting the wiring is moving around causing the car to suddenly die out or lose power when driving. Once again I an not a car expert but I messed around with my heap until I found out that was the problem.
    sounds like your catalyst converter is plugged up. especially if when you are driving the transmission shifts funny and you can only go around 25-30MPH.can verify with a vacuum gauge which is the more economically correct way. the other you would need a exhaust back pressure gauge which runs around $350
  • michman2005michman2005 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Dodge Neon (SOHC) that stalls right after starting (approx. runs for 5 secs.). Once stalled, it will not start for at least an Hour. Fuel pump is pushing plenty of fuel (maybe too much?).
    Engine Codes are clean (no errors found). When I removed the small Purge control hose from the top of the throttle body - the Car does not stall. As a matter of fact, I was able to drive it into the Garage up a slight incline. After sliding the hose back in place - stalling occurs again.

My initial though was fuel pressure regulator. Any/all advice would be greatly appreciaited.

Thanks!
    Michman

Optional Information:
    Year: 1998
    Make: Dodge
    Model: Neon
    Engine: SOHC

Already Tried:
    Just checked Engine Codes - no errors.
    Fuel line pumps ample fuel while turning key.
    Plugs are fouled when engine stalls (removed and checked).
  • mike2222mike2222 Member Posts: 1
    hi guys
    k have a 97 dodge neon 5 speed
    good battery and sparks ok..engine turns over no fuel probs but it still wont start..any help guys
  • ninjajuggalo18ninjajuggalo18 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 95 plymoth neon sohc 5 speed
    a few months ago it i would be driving and it would chug and wanna stall inless i gave it gas and if no gas it would stall or sometimes i would start it and it would stall right away inless i gave it gas when i started it it did that off and on for about 2-3 months now today it drove fine got to the store came out and it started but i needed to give it gas to keep it running then it stalled and would not start at all like the fuel pump whent out well i tryed agine few hours later gave it gas will tryin to start it it fired up with no problem what could the problem within in the lat 5 months all the follwing items have been replaced plugs, wires, fuel pump, fuel filter,clutch, head gaskets, within in 2 years the computer control has been replaced no i do know my neck filler looks really rusted and i know i have a gas tank leak if i fill it over half tank it will flow out know would could the problem be? i dont wanan buy gas tank and fuel neck filler and that not be the problem i know i need it but moneys tight need to get main problem fix please help me thanks in advance

i know its not a vaccum leak but i did also notice when the fuel pump fuse is in the computer (brain ) makes a buzzing noise i replaced the relay still same thing when i take the fuse out no bussing sound any idead thanks in advance
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    is the biggest Lemon every conceived, built, and made.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • slater_112slater_112 Member Posts: 1
    This might sound stupid... but, is there any way your transmission cable may have come of. (lose bolt?)
  • teekcteekc Member Posts: 1
    Got a neon that will stall at idle or when you take foot off the gas.
    If I start the car and bring down the rpms to say 1000 and hold it there it seems to work for a short while this car is shutting off when I.m driving as well only when I take my foot off the gas.
    no service engine light comes on.
    car only has 56k on it
    any help on this would be appreciated
    Thanks
  • tcb74tcb74 Member Posts: 7
    My 2000 neon idles a little low and rough, a soft step on the gas pedal raises the idle by a little and makes the car idle perfect. Any idea to what can cause this?
  • neonosticneonostic Member Posts: 3
    You seem to be okay as long as the tack holds up and you keep it at a grand. You might try advancing the timing to idle at a grand.
  • neonosticneonostic Member Posts: 3
    Not actually, anything someone can think up makes sense to me considering we are dealing with Neon's.
  • ozarkchick14ozarkchick14 Member Posts: 3
    I drive a 2005 Dodge Neon SXT. Recently, it's been starting but dying right after. It sounds normal when I go to start it, but then when I let go of the key, it dies completely. Sometimes I can get it started by hitting the gas sometime when I turn the key. Lately, that isn't working either. I can do that and keep the RPM's up for a few seconds but when I let up on the gas pedal it dies completely again. I've changed the spark plugs and it seemed to stop the problem for a few weeks. Taken it to a dealership and they ran diagnositics and couldn't find anything wrong with it. Can you please point me in the right direction? Any help would be appreciated!
  • ozarkchick14ozarkchick14 Member Posts: 3
    I am currently having the same problem with my 2005 neon. Did you find the problem? :(
  • robms25robms25 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Plymouth Neon. The problem I’m having is with my alarm system. I disconnected the battery to charge it then reconnected it and now I can't start my car because the anti theft system is still activated. I have tried unlocking the driver’s side door with the key, but it doesn’t help. What can I do?
  • lb26lb26 Member Posts: 2
    My plymouth neon that I just bought for 650.00 just died. it ran fine on the drive home. but as soon as I started it the next day, it started stalling I had to drive it with two feet just to keep it idled. Now it just died and wont start. all the lights work, but it does not start. no clicking, no nothing could it be the altenator? or the battery also my gauges on my dash would drop down to zero and then when warmed up would rise back up to normal. what the hell is up with this car? how many people has had the same problem? and what did you do to fix this :lemon:
  • lb26lb26 Member Posts: 2
    my car does the same thing.but when driving my transmission will jump into 2 gear pretty hard. and my engine light is on now and now the car just died. did you get that idle problem fixed yet?