Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge-Plymouth Neon Electrical/Lighting

13»

Comments

• gottaluvme669gottaluvme669 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Dodge Neon that has had the service engine soon light on since we replaced the transmission. It gives me error codes 12 ( Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 key on cycles), and 37 ( Torque converter clutch solenoid CKT or park/neutral switch failure. I also read something about transmission temperature level...), Is there any way for me to fix this without taking my car to the shop? I really don't have the money to do that....
  • bigz1bigz1 Member Posts: 2
  • bigz1bigz1 Member Posts: 2
    i own a 2000 neon... and when you go up hill and give it some gas it starts shaking violently... im thinking it might be the spark plug wires... but if anybody has another answer let me kno.... thank you
  • neondadneondad Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 95 Neon for my son and we are working together to fix it up. It has many electrical problems we have traced back to a bad wiring harness. Does anyone know of a source for new Neon wiring harness. Either aftermarket or dodge source. I do not want to use one from a junkyard because I have heard many early neons have wiring harness problems and I dont wish to buy someone elses problem. When I search on the internet I only get radio wiring harness, not complete ones. Thanks.
  • bvvneonbvvneon Member Posts: 2
    Hey. Im havin problems with my harness too. The guy I got it from took'em out so alls I had was the wires. I couldnt find any new ones, had to go to the junk yard. PLEASE keep reading: Pleas do me a favor?! If your wires are still connected to the harness Please tell me the order the colored wires go in from left to right, top to bottom, left harness first. I have tried everything and bought every diagram I could find and none of them make sense. This would really help me out a great deal. Thank you and good luck with your wiring :cry:
  • BIGDADDYHORTONBIGDADDYHORTON Member Posts: 35
    DISCONNECT THE POSITIVE CABLE WHILE IT IS RUNNING IF IT STAYS RUNNING TEH ALTENATOR IS MOST LIKELY GOOD, IF IT DIES THEN IT IS BAD.
    USUALLY IF A CAR RUNS FINE ON FLAT GROUND AND THEN LOOSES POWER ON AN INCLINE IT MAY BE YOUR CATALYSTIC CONVERTER ON THE EXHAUST, WHICH FORCES YOU TO PUSH MORE GAS THROUGH THE ENGINE AND WILL CUT OUT BECAUSE IT CAN'T BREATH. IF THIS IS THE CASE CHANGE THE MUFFLER AS WELL, THE CONVERTERS COME APART ON THE INSIDE AND CLOG THE MUFFLER, CHOKE IT, WHEN YOU ARE AT AN INCLINE THE BEEDS ROLL BACK TO THE EXHAUST OPENING AND STOP OUT PUT FLOW, HOPE THIS HELPS OR YOU HAVE IT FIXED ALREADY.
    2000 GRIT SAND PAPER AND HEADLAMP LENS CLEANER FROM ORIELLY'S OR AUTO ZONE ETC, JUST GO IN AND TELL THEM WHAT YOU ARE WANTING TO DO AND THEY WILL POINT YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION, FIRST CLEAN THEM WITH THE CLEANER OR WAX THEN WET SAND THEM, AND DO THE CLEANER AGAIN, ONLY RESAND IF THERE IS STIL A LOT OF ROAD FILM BUILT UP ON THEM, THIS IS WHAT I DID ON MY 97 AND THEY LOOK GREAT, I WAS IMPRESSED. OR BUY SOME AFTER MARKET ONES.
    WWW.MODERNPERFORMANCE.COM, AND LOOK IN IMPORT TUNER MAG FOR OTHER COMPANIES WHO SELL AFTER MARKET HEADLAMPS. HOPE THIS WILL HELP. :shades:
  • juniorproducerjuniorproducer Member Posts: 3
    Since this is almost a year later, I am guessing you have already solved your problem. I am having all the exact same issues but am not convinced they are completely related. My battery just died and that one was only 16 mos. old. That was last week and the symptoms still exist and intermittent. Any follow-up you can provide?
  • black57black57 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 dodge neon and the airbag light been coming on for a while. Also my right turning signal doesnt flash on the dasboard sometimes. And just recently i was driving and my speedometer went straight to zero. Can someone PLEASE tell me what is the problem.
  • countryboy1973countryboy1973 Member Posts: 1
    Need to replace an airbag module on a 95 Dodge Neon. Anyone know where it is located?
  • kbobkbob Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem, but the article you cite is not on the Web. Do you have a hard copy you can scan or email?
  • kbobkbob Member Posts: 2
    I recently had the rotors and calipers changed on the front wheels of my Neon, but the wheels still feel (intermittently) like they're engaged, even when no foot pressure is applied. Sometimes, when the brake fluid warms up, I can even smell brakes. I took it to the Firestone place (they replaced the brakes and rotors) and they said the hoses were clogging, such that the pressure on the brakes makes the fluid go only one way. They replaced the hoses, but the problem persists. Any ideas?
  • noheartnoheart Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased this car and if it's below 90 degrees outside, she turns over, but idles rough and no power when driving. Over 90 degrees she's a dream machine. The code came up as P2302, so I changed the coil, plugs (yes, gapped them correctly to 35), plug wires. Still got the same code, so I changed the battery, ran the alternator test--all is great. Changed the ASD relay too. The purge and ignition switch are perfect, no issues. I keep coming back up with that P2302 code after my engine light comes back on. I'm at a loss. She has no issues when it's over 90 degrees outside, starts great, no rough idle and runs super and the engine light is gone. It's just in the mornings when the temp outside is lower than 90 degrees. Any ideas??
  • blondhippichicblondhippichic Member Posts: 1
    i just bought a 1997 plymouth neon and the dash instruments worked at first now everything stopped even the miles stopped i have a 3 year warrenty how do i fix this? i just bought it today!!!
  • tru_bluetru_blue Member Posts: 2
    Recently I had a check engine light on and it was due to the wiring for the tcc which is located on the side of the trans on my 00 a/t neon lx. I removed the air box and looked to find the wires were frayed and exposed. I seperated them and re-bound them with electrical tape. the light went out for a few months but now is back on. I went to the pickapart near my house and got one connector with extra wiring and replaced it with my old one but it still will not go out. Just want to know if anyone on the forum has a similar issue, and/or has fixed it? other than that seems like the car is fine with 181k miles on it. :shades:
  • tru_bluetru_blue Member Posts: 2
    if you have warranty on the thing I would check to see if it is covered, otherwise it may be that you need a new cluster as a similar issue was posted on the same page further down. :D
  • nybarranybarra Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2011
    I have a 2000 Dodge Neon that the alarm siren inadvertenty actives on its own, the inside dome light comes on, the door locks click open and close while driving. The dash reads the door is open but I have check them several times and it still does not help. Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you fix it?
    I can't lock my car up because the alarm with go off. I would really love to lock my car up. Can anyone help please. :cry:
    Thanks...
  • mmimmmmimm Member Posts: 1
    did you get this resolved? i have the exact same problem ...
  • hippiebobhippiebob Member Posts: 1
    2005 SXT, 2.0 with automatic.
    Drove the car earlier today, all was fine.
    Went outside awhile later and the brake lights were on, but were not earlier.
    Tried to start the car. Fuel pump did not make it's usual whine, but more like a growl. Figured low voltage.
    When I turned the key to the start position, it did not start. Where the odometer reading usually is, and the fault codes displayed, it said "FUSE". I have searched through the repair manual but have come up with nothing.
    Any ideas?
    Many Thanks.

Bob
  • shopdog97shopdog97 Member Posts: 160
    My friend has an '05 Neon SXT and says that every so often his dash lights and headlights flicker when he's driving. He says it started about a month ago and it doesn't happen all the time. He found a loose wire on one of the battery terminals, I think he said it was the negative wire and snugged it up. All was great for about 2 weeks then it starts happening again. I told him it sounds like a short somewhere. Has anyone experienced this problem with your Neon? Please let me know so I can try to offer a solution to him. Thanks a bunch!
  • lilylegslilylegs Member Posts: 2
    You possibly might need to replace the circuit board behind the dash. I did mine and all is well. I found a refurb online for less than $50. and replaced it myself.
  • lilylegslilylegs Member Posts: 2
    The heater fan and everything relative will not come on, no power. When I try again the next day, all works just fine. Seems when it doesn't work is when it is cold enough that the windshield is icy. But I don't know why that would make a difference. Anybody have any ideas?