Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru B9 Tribeca Transmisson Problems

Comments

• sept2martinsept2martin Member Posts: 28
    I have the same problem with mine, plus the fact that the torque converter will not say locked up and seems to slip, though the transmission will not shift down into fourth.
    They are putting a new tourque converter into mine....doubt that this will affect any of the rough shifts, though.
    Seems that from all the complaints I see, that there is a design fault with this transmission.
    I would be very surprised if removing the transmission cooler will improve the rough shift.....?
    Good luck.
    Have you noted any knocking from the front suspension? I have from day one. Also note that the steering stops cause a knock at full turn when turning full lock when doing slow maneuvers as with parking, etc.
    :confuse:
  • jimsimp3jimsimp3 Member Posts: 11
    I had the transmission cooler removed (it was a 3rd party model installed by U-Haul).
    Surprisingly the transmission now shifts very smoothly and the engine revs at a lower RPM during normal driving. I did not mention that my gas mileage has been terrible since the cooler was installed. The engine seemed to rev at 2500-3000 RPM at normal speed. It now is around 2000 RPM.
  • jimsimp3jimsimp3 Member Posts: 11
    Oops I spoke too soon ! I noticed a little rough upshift today. It seems to occur on aggressive acceleration (not hard or drag racing) at 2500 rpm. If I "baby" it on acceleration there is no problem and it shifts very smoothly. I never noticed it before. I will test drive one some day to see if it is normal for this model. I hope not. My previous Toyota 4-Runners & Honda CRVs all shifted pretty smoothly.
  • dean7dean7 Member Posts: 32
    I have a 2008 and my transmission did exactly the same thing between 3rd and 4th gear. It sort of softly "slammed" into 4th gear. To make a long story short, the dealer erased the computer program and "reloaded" it. It solved the problem pretty much 98%. There is now a very, very slight rough shift from 2nd to 3rd, but very tolerable and not upon normal acceleration, only when driving real slow. Ask the dealer about this option.
  • dean7dean7 Member Posts: 32
    See my post above. Erasing the transmission computer program at the dealer and reloading it took care of the rough shift problem.
    My torque converter was changed and I still have a problem akin to an engine miss when the engine is under load in 5th gear (example a slight hill, or gently accelerating to pass another vehicle).
    They are taking the car back again for more testing. I have had this problem since day one and now have 16,000 km on it.
    Hope the problem is found.
    :confuse:
  • first_tramfirst_tram Member Posts: 1
    My dealer has reburned the transmission control computer twice. The third time I took it in, they "performed transmission bleed and calibration". The service rep said this was the next step after an unsuccessful result from the burn on the computer. It definitely has a different feel to it now, smoother on the shift and stronger torque right after the shift.

I also described the feeling I got when I goosed it at a stop light. Most cars creep when you ease off the brake. The Tribeca wasn't doing this. Instead, it grabbed/slammed into first when I put down the pedal. That now seems to have gone away. I'll report back in a couple of weeks and let you know if this repair holds up.

This forum helped me describe my problem to the service guys. Nice job!
    Further to my last entry of Jan4 2009, I have had the torque converter changed and various issues apparently dealt with or read on the computer.
    The problem remains.....may even be worse!!
    At about 80 to 110 kph if accelerating or climbing a grade, the sensation is just like an engine misfire. A jerking sensation which I am told is due to the torque converter not locking up or the transmission not shifting down into fourth.
    My car now has 20,000 km on it and it has had this problem since I bought it!!
    Frequent visits to the dealer and a visit from the local Subaru representative, have not sorted it out, even for a short while.
    Would I buy another Subaru. Not likely, although the local dealer has done everything they know how to do.
    I have been reluctant to tow a small single axle trailer because of the matter. :lemon: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • km888km888 Member Posts: 2
    My 2008 Tribeca has had the same issues since day one. It had 8,000 miles when I purchased it. I noticed that the transmission would slip sometimes when entering the freeway, or attempting to pass. Not everytime though. I also had the sharp jerk when starting from a complete stop. I took it in for service and when I went to pick it up, the jerking from a stop had been corrected, but they said that they couldn't duplicate the slipping I was describing. I had to take one of the techs on a drive. I stepped on it and the RPM's hit 6000, but the car didn't react, he agreed there was a problem and I left it. This is what's interesting.

They claimed that there was goo on my brakes and that's why it jerked when took my foot off the brake, and at that point claimed to have only cleaned them and not touched the transmission.
    Then they said the machine they needed to use was in need of a part.
    Then the tech that knows how to use it was on vacation.
    They wanted to me to take it home and worry about it at a later date.
    Finally they told me that the transmission needed to be reprogrammed.
    It was okay for a little while, but not long enough.
    There is a constant drag, as though I left the parking brake partially on, my MPG drops to 12. It doesn't coast, even at an downward incline.
    I asked them if any of these issues are common with the Tribeca, they said I'm the only one who has these issues. Obviously, this is not true. I've had the car in four times, and everytime they call me and make me come down to take one of the techs for a ride. I am sick of dealing with this. I wish I had bought another Outback.
    Has anyone been successful with returning a Tribeca?
    I am currently trying to get an advocate group to take up my cause with Subaru here in British Columbia, Canada.
    I know of no one who has returned a Subaru Tribeca.
    I must post again on the Car Reviews section.
    I will post here again when I know anything further. Good luck with your cause, and let us know how you do.
    :mad: :cry:
  • mukilteomemukilteome Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a used 2008 Tribeca with 5K miles in February 2009. I have had the transmission replaced twice. The dealer tried to get a brand new transmission for the second replacement but was told by Subaru America that they needed to replace it with a 're-manufactured' version - because they 'stand-behind' their product. With the third transmission now in use for about 2 months, it is beginning to rough shift again, high rev w/no motion, pause before kicking in...and the list goes on. The first replacement was worse than the original, the second replacement began leaking pie-sized puddles of transmission fluid - the clamps are apparently a slip-on model that have since been replaced with 'screw-on' versions.

While thankful that I have an extended warranty and have not experienced any direct expense, at 11K miles the dealer has had it longer than I have in the past 9 months it seems. I have always been a volkswagen owner but this past winter got tired of inneffective driving ability in the snow. So I bought this beautiful Tribeca. It has been nothing but a disappointment and while the dealer has been very nice to work with, it isn't fixing the issue.

Apparently, there are very real design flaws with this vehicle's transmission and Subaru will need to take steps to do the right thing by me and by all of you who are in the same fix. I am considering a :mad: lawsuit if I cannot get resolution to my satisfaction.
    It seems then, that mine is not an isolated incidence.
    Keep us posted "mukilteome", as will I.
    The new Outback has probably the same engine and five speed automatic transmission as the Tribeca.....I wonder if it will fair any better?
    My dealer is about to take mine back and keep it "until it is fixed". We shall see how they do.
    The CAMVP advocate group here in BC would go to bat for a buy back by Subaru.
    Calculations but the buyback at about $33,000 CAN. I paid 40k for it new. :sick: :lemon:
  • siriuslysiriusly Member Posts: 2
    My 07 has ~90K miles, purchased with 4K. Recently experienced a couple of odd shifts in normal, I use the sport but can't say I noticed anything significant with the "manual "shifting. Also started noticing what seemed to be the engine missing during accel eration but thought I'd have it addressed at the next service. A Friday night in the rain with groceries and kids in the car ABS, CEL, Sport, Cruise and Traction Control lights lit up while I was on the freeway in a construction zone with no shoulders. When I parked it, it was leaking black transmisison fluid. Towed to the dealer, apparently the torque converter threw metal into the transmission.

Thankfully the replacement was covered under the extended warranty. Reading this forum I see there's been a couple issues with torque converters and/or transmissions. I'm feeling like this might be an isolated problem. I love my Beca, love that I have the three nostril grill, but I'm a little worried about it's future safety. I drive ~90mi RT for a commute and kids who go places. My 2000 Outback has 209K miles and has been a great car. I can't have a car that is a possible liability and could leave me on the freeway. Winters in Washington can be a wet mess.

Hoping for an "isolated incident" opinion.
    I think the 2007 had a different transmission, but likely similar components.
    Latest outback may have same engine and transmission as my 2008 Tribeca. It will be interesting to see how it fares.
  • barefootrunnerbarefootrunner Member Posts: 3
    First time poster. I just ( 8 days ago) purchased a 2009 Tribeca with 13K miles and experiencing a 'shuddering' at 40mph and ~1800rpm during a very a gentle acceleration. Had dealer check it out twice including reflashing the transmission module. No change. Returning to dealer on Wed Dec 16th and intend to take a technician on a drive. Love our new SUV however already regretting the purchase. Anyone else experienced a 'shudder' or 'rumble' at speeds between 30-50mph?
    Sounds similar to my problem. See my prior postings.
    My problem comes in 5th gear, or locked up of torque converter (top gear) and at about 2000rpm. They have had my car in for about one and a half weeks this time. It has been in for this problem MANY, MANY times thus far! Great dealership, but the problem has eluded them. Car has had its third Torque converter!
    I have had a rumbling, especially when the car is cold, (even in summer) but I attributed that to the tires.
    Keep us posted.
    Cheers!
    Thanks for the fast reply. Should I continue the battle or demand a return/replace with say a 2010 Outback? We're moving from FL back to BC/Canada in Feb and wanted an AWD vehicle. So far not a good situation. Thoughts?
    My 2008 Tribeca is basically a good car. Lots of room, reasonably comfortable, and safe.
    Had I my choice back, with all I have experienced, I would have selected another make for about the same money. I cannot comment on the new Outback, except that I beieive it likely has the same engine and transmission as the Tribeca. I do not know what its towing capacity is either if that is something you might intend to use it for. IF they can correct the problem for you, and I mean TRULY CORRECT it!! then I guess it would be a good car for you. (We have 30,000 km on ours, and although this problem has always been there, the car has otherwise been fault free!)
    Interesting, we moved from Florida to BC, Canada, where we reside now on Vancouver Is.
    Let me know how you make out......I guess if you have any doubts, getting them to take it back would be the safest way out.
    Shudder seems to be gone! Here's an update. The morning that I dropped off my 2009 Tribeca to the dealer, we spent 20 minutes driving and duplicated the 'shudder' that occurred at 45mph and ~2K rpm at least 4 times. As suspected, the torque converter was slipping. Service tech confirmed ~100hp loss at gear change. Tech also mentioned that he has seen this before, turns out transmission fluids are 'contaminated' from the factory. They performed an entire tranny flush and another re-learn. With nearly a fully week and 100+ miles my Tribeca runs and shifts very smoothly. Hopefully it will stay this way. Happy Holidays everyone! David.
  • ondoshondosh Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have a 2008 subaru bought from Rochester. After 3 months of use it started behave strange between gears 2 and 3 i.e. there the transmission would not take accelaration for a second and there would be an abrubt power surge (almost like the car got hit behind) . They reprogrammed the transmission and restarted learning process. The problem was gone for almost a year and now it resurrected but this time much less severe and infrequent. Since it does not happen all the time I did not bother taking it to the delaer in Ottawa since I know they will clain " problem not reproducible" . Any suggestions ?...
    I would take it to them so that your complaint is documented, whether they find it or not.
    Best of luck.
    I still have the original transmission problem with mine. Have two emails and registered letter into Subaru Canada. No reply. I think they are ignoring me.
    The dealer that I last took it to identified the symptom, but was unable to repair. Subaru advised the mechanic that is was not repairable,,,,but they seem disinterested in doing anything about it.
    I am ready to take legal action, and make it very public.
    :mad: :lemon:
    Update on my last post.
    One of our local dealers, who agreed there was a problem, kept the vehicle for about a month.
    Was very thorough and contacted Subaru Canada repeatedly as they walked the technician through all the possibilities that might be causing the sensation of slippage in 5th gear (drive or sport mode) at about 2000rpm,, that is, highway speed.
    Another torque converter was replaced, they found no improvement. Subaru made other suggestions, changing plugs, checking solenoids, replacing anti-knock sensors, etc.. The technician could not clear the problem. The dealer was advised by Subaru Canada that the problem could not be fixed.
    After repeated Calls to Subaru Canada and a registered letter, I have heard nothing back.
    I am not put off that easily. Keep posting your beefs! :lemon: :lemon: :mad:
    Have spoken to SUBARU CUSTOMER SERVICE repeatedly over the past three weeks. Was advised about three weeks ago that they would definitely get back to
    me in a couple of days. Heard nothing and have called back every few days, with no contact made. They are ignoring me quite deliberately. Not even a phone response!
    NOTHING!
    SUBARU has lost me and any of my friends or acquaintances as customers.
    Have not given up working on them, though. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • sglousglou Member Posts: 1
    My Wife's 08 Tribeca has, or should I say HAD the same shudder / vibration during trans shift under slight acceleration. After 3 visits to the dealer and demanding an explination I came across this forum. Needless to say I printed up all of the posts and highlighted all that pertained to our problem. The Service Manager read through it and went on Subaru's website to see if a Service Bulletin was issued.
    Sure enough, there it was in black and white. Subaru admits to a faulty Torque Converter and it was replaced 2 weeks ago. The wife is now happy as all of the sluggish shifting , shudder and vibration is gone ! THANK GOD we got the Extended Warrenty

Here is the first page of that Subaru Service Bulletin:

Subaru Service Bulletin Number: 16-74-09
    Date: 03/18/09

Applicability: 2009 / 09 MY Legacy / Outback 2.5L Turbo, 5AT and 3.0L 5AT
    2008 / 09 MY Tribeca 3.6L, 5AT
    Subject: 5AT Torque Converter Shudder / Vibration

Introduction:
    If you encounter a vehicle that has a shudder/vibration which could be felt in 3rd, 4th and
    5th gear during slight acceleration, it may be caused by the transmission torque converter during lockup operation. A countermeasure was made to the final machining process of the sliding surface for the lock up clutch to provide stabilization and eliminate the shudder/ vibration.

COUNTERMEASURE IN PRODUCTION:
    MODEL START OF PRODUCTION TRANSMISSION
    ( Starting # )

Legacy / Outback 2.5L Turbo Jan.9, 2009 316632
    Legacy / Outback 3.0L Feb 5, 2009 316978
    Tribeca 3.6L Feb. 18, 2009 317369

PARTS INFORMATION / TORQUE CONVERTER

MODEL PART NUMBER (NEW) PART NUMBER (OLD)

2008 / 09 Legacy / Outback 2.5L Turbo 31100AB122 31100AB121 / 120
    2008 / 09 Legacy / Outback 3.0L 31100AB132 31100AB131 / 130
    2008 / 09 Tribeca 3.6L 31100AB142 31100AB141 / 140

I hope this information will help others !
    Thank you for your post.
    My problem is only present in 5th gear whether in sport (manual) mode or automatic mode.
    I have had 2 torque converters replaced with absolutely no improvement.
    I am present still fighting with Subaru over the issue 2 1/2 years after buying my car new. The problem was there at my 1000km scheduled visit.
    Most recently they have installed two separate monitors in the vehicle and I am still waiting for their final report.
    Subaru customer support service has mentioned replacing the vehicle, but I am still waiting. They do not respond to my calls.
    Draw your own conclusions. :confuse:
  • rexistheonerexistheone Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 Tribeca B9 Automatic has started shuddering as you accelerate. Any suggestions
    Hate to say this. but Subaru will not help you. I spent three years trying to sort out a shuddering transmission on a 2008 Tribeca, while still under warranty, and they refused to help...going so far as to send me a letter stating that my case was closed. I sold it and bought a BMW X5.diesel. Expensive but light years ahead of the Tribeca. My Tribeca is still on the lot 4 months later.
    Subaru is prepared to take a hit on the Tribeca which has been a dismal failure when compared to their other vehicles. It is evident they will not spend any money or time to resolve issue with the Tribeca.
    Sorry I cannot be more positive. Good luck.
  • ttribeccattribecca Member Posts: 8
    About a month ago my B9 Tribecca :mad: started to "chug" when I started it. The chugging would stop and I would drive, then the car started hesitating and seemed like it was losing power. Then the check engine light came on. I took it in to the Subaru dealer. They said put a bottle of gas booster in, and put in premium gas. Then bring the car back in for a re-check. I did that, the check engine light came on, car was chugging on start and hesitating again in a few days. I took it in again. They couldn't find anything wrong with it. Told me to do the same thing I did before.

I have since tried a cleaner added to the gas, but that doesn't seem to help either, same problems exist. I did notice that the last two times when it has gone down to 1/4 tank, the engine light goes off, and the car runs better.

Any ideas as to what is wrong with the car? This is very frustrating.

Thanks.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    What was the code being recorded in the system? If you weren't given that information from the dealer, you might consider picking up a code reader (they cost $100 or less) and pulling it yourself the next time.

I almost think it is a problem with the knock sensor.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • 1bcpastor1bcpastor Member Posts: 5
    I understand your frustration. Ours was very similar. We finally had to pull the fuel tank because it contained dirt/sediment that was clogging the fuel filter (sending unit in tank). After cleaning it out & replacing the filter, it has been fine. It doesn't take much sediment to cause problems in the fuel system. I found that I could shut the engine off for a minute or two and then it would run fine on restart. they said that would release the sediment from the sending unit & allow it to get "clean" fuel from the tank. We run premium 98% of the time; and try to limit the places we get fuel when possible. Hope that helps. BTW: it's not cheap to pull the tank, flush it, replace filter, and put it back together (approx. $2100 at the Dealer).
    The dealer never mentioned the code. Can I just ask them for it? Shouldn't they have it in their documents? Also, stupid question, but what does the code tell you?
    hmm...I'll check this out. I have an extended warranty, so hopefully it would be covered. I'll look into that.

Interesting thing is, the last oil change showed some sediment in the old oil. Wondering if that is related.
    It should be documented. The code tells you which sensor(s) was out of spec, which can give someone diagnosing the issue some clues as to what went wrong. For example, if a misfire was thrown, then you know it was a fuel, air, or timing issue (or combination of those), and that can help pinpoint the problem. Since this message is in a "transmission problem" thread, one might conclude that you suspect your transmission... yet it may have nothing to do with it.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Sediment? That's not good. Consider an oil analysis so that you know what is actually in there; that could tell you something as well. They are pretty cheap at $25. I send mine to a company called Blackstone Labs.
    Thank you, will try that.
    Just called dealer, only code was P0303 w/other cylinder misfires.
    Okay, so have we established the number of miles on your car? If you're getting misfires, I would start with ensuring the health of the spark plug wires, the plugs themselves, and then the distributor. You can check resistance in the wires with a multimeter tool in the ohmmeter setting.

If those things check out fine, and since you have already gone through the fuel system, I would consider replacing the knock sensor and see what happens. I had a knock sensor issue with my 1996 Outback, and it never registered in the computer. Yet, once replaced, it cleared up a whole array of issues (some serious, some just annoying). It was definitely the best money I ever spent on that car.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Isn't the Tribeca distributor-less?

It may need an ignition coil instead.
    50k miles, not a lot.
    :blush: Coil, distributor; they serve the same purpose!
    No, not a lot. I'd check the plug wires first.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The only difference is the cost. :D

My last ignition coil was $80, my last distrubitor cap+rotor kit was only a fraction of that cost.
    Took the car into another dealership this morning. They are going to perform the 60k maintenance and check out the issues I've been having.

Will let you know what they find. Hopefully warranty items.
  • tracytravelertracytraveler Member Posts: 1
  • mukilteomemukilteome Member Posts: 2
    At 30,000 miles, the engine had begun smoking and the transmission continued to experience hard shifting when I took it in for its regular maintenance. That evening, I test drove the new 2012 VW Passat, and bought it, trading in the Tribeca which still held a very good trade-in value, surprisingly. We wiill miss the roominess and comfort of the tribeca but not the aggravation with transmission problems that remained unresolved after 3rd replacement in 2 years. Subaru lost a customer for life with this model.
    Took the car to a different dealer. They did the 60k mi work. Spark plugs were really bad. All replaced and car is running good now.

Thanks for all of the advice!
  • chevy632chevy632 Member Posts: 1
    well i understand that everyone is having problems with the tribeca transmission ,but i dont see anyone putting the mileage down where it started having problems ,because i bought a 2008 tribeca and i have not had a issue with this suv yet and i have 90,000 km on it and not one problem with trans ,motor ,drivetrain ,nothing it runs very smooth and so far its the best suv i have bought to date ,

But i will say that trying to find replacement wipers is a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] and the dealer likes to see u show up so they can smile with dollar signs when they see u coming threw the door ,(not so fun....)
  • ilushka03ilushka03 Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2012
    I originally posted an issue with the transmission not shifting smooth from 2nd to 3rd on cold engine back when my car had about 25k-30k miles. However, I now have 71k mi on it, and it is still runs as new. It is a 2006 7-pass. Limited, and I never had any issues with drive train, transmission, engine or anything at all. Just had to replace the sway bar bushings at around 40k mi. (picked them up from Subaru dealer and did it myself and took me lees than 1hr) I replaced my OEM tires last year at 63k mi. with Bridgestone Dueler Alenza, good improvement over stock tires, (much better in rain and snow, and quiet smooth ride) rated for 65k mi so I'm sure it will last another 65k mi. As far as transmission issue, it only does it when engine is cold, but if I warm up the car for 5-10min it is very smooth. I had it the transmission-computer re-programmed a while ago but it didn't seem to help a lot. It looks like they have updated software for engine and transmission but I'm not sure if I should do it or not at this point. I wish it would have came with CVT, then it would be much smoother and better on gas. (for my past 5years and 60k mi I averaged about 19.5-20.5mpg, do get about 23.5- 25mpg on HWY only) So it has been a great and perfect SUV for my family needs.
  • babicak1babicak1 Member Posts: 4
    i find out a trick.Buy a bosch replacement wiper blades ,then slide em in and you will cut the cost on one tenth of the dealer price . Have a nice day !
  • dadoffivedadoffive Member Posts: 5
    Our car is two weeks old. Within the first week our brand new tribeca was shifting hard. It only had 7 miles when we purchased it. Now its two weeks old and it does it several times during driving some harder shifts. I just sold our volvo xc90 and we had a new trans. in that. I know what this shift hard means a bad trans. right from the factory. My volvo had the same hard shift as the trans. went bad. Has anyone else had this issue brand new. I am taking it into the dealer. I drive around miles a week to work and back.