Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• 02whttrib02whttrib Member Posts: 39
    I would assume the reason this board has slowed so is that everyone that thought this was a good vehicle has now traded/sold them. I have been fighting Mazda since purchase and they pass me off like some idiot. The dealers continually defend the product by not being able to duplicate the problems I have addressed. Bonus checks are on the way.

These garbage products will cost many of us lots of money in the future. I will take every opportunity to degrade Mazda/Ford for my unhappiness. I will never be tempted by these marques again.

I am currently dealing with horrible brake noise with new pads, trans shudder, frequent lighting of dash lights for no reason (thinking I got the Christmas light option), difficulty cranking at times, squeaks, rattles, vibrations, horrible interior smell-like mildew. Unable to duplicate is my second language.

If you want to avoid a headache and the poorest dealer service in the industry, avoid the Mazda Tribute. Others may be having rosy days, but the thorns will get em.

Ray
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Ray, First of all, sorry for your Tribute. However, I heard this same story over and over again when I bought my 98 Ranger from the Toyota crowd. Now I have over 80K with not one problem. Same heard over and over again about my Escape. Now have over 25K with not one problem. I put myself in your shoes and I would also be pretty peeved if I bought a lemon and Mazda/Ford did nothing for me. And yes, I probably would not ever buy another Ford/Mazda product. However beings My family has over 80 years of experience with Ford products, me with about 17.. I don't plan on changing anytime soon. And I guess I will defend Ford/Mazda. Why would over 85,000 people choose the Escape/Trib if they were such terrible vehicles? Plenty of 01's were sold and if everyone of them failed don't you think sales would be in the downward slide rather than the upward? Good luck to you, I mean it... When my Escape reaches 100K.. I'll let you know..
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    onthehunt: According to C&D and the Ford corporate website, the 2004 Escape will be available with the hybrid drivetrain.

As for metallic paint flaking in the sun, I think that was more a problem ten years ago. GM had huge problems with their metallic paints in the early 90's. In fact, they were forced to repaint thousands of cars (especially blue and silver Blazers). My '94 Mazda MX-6 (ruby red metallic) was so afraid of rocks that it threw chips of paint at the incoming pebbles in preemptive strikes. Unfortunately, it used this tactic so many times that the car had no paint left on the front end and Mazda had to repaint it at 6,000 miles. (Never got a chance to see how it liked the sun).

alwaysed: I just bought a 2003 Tribute ES and noticed the same "problem" with the mushy brake pedal. The technicians told me it was normal. Because it hasn't caused me any problems, I'm not complaining (yet).
    In 17 years of purchasing, no offense but you wouldn't know the difference if you solely bought Ford products (the ignorance is bliss comment comes to mind).

I'm sure the Escape's price and feature content has a lot to do with sales, plus they are great driving/handling vehicles. That's why Ford's lunch is spoiling while they try to correct customer satisfaction and quality issues, hence extended warranties on problematic cars and certifing dealerships. I can't imagine paying 45-50k for an Expedition and having the same treatment as I have received. Early part failure and poor service are trademarks of American brands I can definitely attest to (early GM advocate now recovering)

Brand loyality goes a long way. Sorry product doesn't. Even a crack addict will tell you the benefits of his addiction. If you are used to replacing parts, engine failure, safety concerns, and recalls it may not seem like anything is wrong with your vehicles. Just read the very large number of posts here and on Espcape.com that comment on the lack of recognition of problems by the dealers padding the bottom lines. I am used to purchasing quality, reliable vehicles that will run for 200k not like the 32k I have with numerous unresolved problems by the dealer/thief.

I don't know if you frequent used car lots but there is a very healthy selection of 01-02 Escapes/Tributes available which tells me their owners are escaping them. And my local Ford dealer, the largest in my state, has some NEW 02 Escapes on the lot that have been there since October 02.

I hope indeed you make it to 100k. I hope we both do. But my first 1/3 of the way has not been promising. I'm sure way before that time Ford/Mazda will be just a sour taste in the back of my mouth. I'm even considering replacing my beloved Miata as a result of this whole fiasco.

Good Luck and demand quality!
    Ray
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    scape did say he had not had any problems at all...I don't think he would have said that if he had had recalls and engine replacements or whatever.

My friend's '03 LX-V6 just crested 20K miles...no problems of any kind for him, and I drive it occasionally and cannot detect any sort of problem or unusual behavior (and I am a Toyota fan and owner, myself). My thinking is that while there were many problems with the '01s when they first came out, by the 2003 model year they had it all worked out. I am surprised they cannot apply those learned lessons to the early vehicles.

vinnyny: C&D reports that the 2005 Tribute/Escape will be available IN 2004 with the hybrid powertrain, as does the current MT...hopefully there will be no further delays...

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• kromkrom Member Posts: 1
    To message #2090:

You might want to check your tie rod ends - this sometimes happens with front wheel drive
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    also the rattle (or clicking) in the front end might be the lugs are not properly tightend. I had this happen to me. I heard a clicking when I would turn left, had the dealer look at it, the lugs were not tightend all the way on 2 lugs.

Hope this helps.

odie
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    Sorry for your problems. Although you own a Tribute not a Ford. (just kiddin, I recognize that both are the same vehicle).

Anyway, to me it sounds like you have as much of a dealership problem as you do a problem with the product.

brake noise with new pads: did they replace rotors, or just pads. Also it is suprising that you would need either on an 02 Trib. I have an 01 Escape with origional brakes that are still in fine shape with 30k miles. (as I would expect)

trans shudder: I've not heard of many Escapes with tranny problems. Usually those are more easily to duplicate.

frequent lighting of dash lights for no reason: ouch, I don't think I've heard of electrical problems being common except for the stalling issue that has since been addressed. I agree, any electrical problems suck as they always seem to be intermittent when they do occur.

difficulty cranking at times: I can honestly say I've heard it from you first.
    squeaks, rattles, vibrations: I've heard of others that have some rattles (rear window or latch comes to mind), but their dealerships seemed to address the problem. (see on another sites message board).

horrible interior smell-like mildew: I've heard this can be caused if while parked you leave the AC on MAX or the air handler to the 0 (off) position, which causes all of the flaps for outside air to be shut.

The other unique situation you have is that your other SUV is the Lexus. But that doesn't justify the problems you describe.
  • ceichhornceichhorn Member Posts: 3
    Loaded model, now at 45k and no problems except a squeak in the first 1000 miles (fixed immediately, permanently) and a little stickiness in the throttle pedal that needs attention. Getting 22 mpg over the road. Time for new tires soon. Just came back to Virginia from a 1500 mile trip to New England. Zero problems. Comfy ride. Everything works, no weirdness at all.

Your mileage may vary....
  • firstovfirstov Member Posts: 31
    I had that "stickiness in the throttle" too.
    Go to the dealer and insist for changing throttle body. That is the cause of this problem.
    I've had the same problem and it was finally fixed after four trips to the dealer.
  • cra711cra711 Member Posts: 2
    To message #2097... new tires put on 100 miles ago and the noise was already there. Made an appointment at the dealer and she goes in tomorrow to get that rattle checked out. I will mention the tie rod ends to them, for I mentioned stableizer bar. THANKS for your help!
    I am so happy that some of you are having a great experience with "any" vehicle. This however has not been the case with me and my Tribute. If any of you read these threads completely you will see person after person reporting the same problems. Go to Escape-central.com and read the horror stories. Dedicated, loving Escape/Trib owners have been let down by the product and the dealerships.

This has been my bad experience. Mazda has chosen to ignore me. It makes me feel really good to tell others of my experience and inform ppl of what a sorry company Forzda is. And I tell anyone who listens to avoid Mazda. YMMV!

My Tribute was purchased 1/02 while my Lexus was purchased 3/03. I was having the Trib problems long before I purchased the Lexus. And yes Lexus has spoiled and pampered me so that I am sure I'll be a buyer for life now. When the Lexus rolled off the dealer's lot new, it was perfect, quality control was 1st rate. My Trib went back after 3 weeks of new purchase with 3 pages of problems. Most of which still haunt me.

Ford could learn a lot from Lexus!!

Ray
  • jdh1965jdh1965 Member Posts: 4
    Cant get the antenna to go down on my V6. Is it supposed to be electric..in which case mine is broken. If its not electric...then how is it done-it seems to be threaded...does it screw back in or what?
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    The U.S. Escapes do not have power antennae so you might have a hard time finding an answer to that one around here.

Is there a toggle switch for it maybe?
    when did that become an option...LOL (j/k)

The antenna is threaded for less wind resistance.
    There is NO power antenna on the escape unless you had it put on aftermarket.

Hope this helps

Odie
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's "wrapped" for less wind resistance, and likely "threaded" at the junction with the bonnet <g> so you can take it off at the car wash, etc. Here's the real buzzword:

ateixeira "Honda CR-V" Apr 28, 2003 4:41pm

Can an owner confirm that the antenna unscrews at the base, like most seem to?

Steve, Host
    it does unscrew at the base.

Odie
    can also swing the other way too. Toyota and Honda have had thier problems/recalls in the past. Get out on the net and you will find plenty of peeved off Toyota/Honda/Nissan owners out here too! I base my purchase on pure 80 years of family experience with Ford/Mercury products, 15 years worth of my own. I purchased my Escape in late 01. I waited intentionally because of the initial recalls. I have just over 26,000 trouble free miles on mine.
    With all the hoopla about how unreliable these vehicles are last year I did a non-scientific poll. I made it a point to stop and talk to other owners of Tribs and Escapes. I spoke with over 20 owners of all types of styles/models/trim levels ect.. and not one had any horrific failures. Granted there were small problems but not any to persuade people to dump thier Trib or Escape.. Anyone see the review on the Honda Pilot by Edmunds??? Take a look.. My point nailed on the head.
  • alwaysedalwaysed Member Posts: 55
    While at my dealer, I asked the service advisor about the excess travel and spongy feel of the brake pedal of my new ES. His response was similiar to that reported by vinnyny(Post 2093). However, he went on to say that the Tributes have "soft rotors" and if an owner tried to use harder pads to avoid dusting, it would chew up the rotors even faster than normal. I asked what was the life expectency of the rotors; he was non-committal.
    Has anyone experienced premature rotor life?
  • jdh1965jdh1965 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks folks. Thats answered my question.
    I'd just like to add that my Escape (badged Ford Maverick over here) is a very fine vehicle. I have had it about a month and already done some long trips. I cant fault it. Power, comfort, high spec, command driving position....everything. I have had many cars over the last few years and none have satisfied like this. As for reliability...lets wait and see. cheers for now
    jdh1965: You are probably aware of this, but here in the States, the Maverick was a 70 or 80s Ford compact whose claim to fame was its exploding fuel tank when gently bumped from behind. It was the inspiration for the song, " You light up my life." Hope you enjoy your new Maverick. My Tribute is 2 weeks old and I feel the same as you.
    My brakes are needing replacement. Mazda dealer quoted me $159.00 EACH for rotors. I need both. Pads $98.00. Labor $200.00. That's a lot for a 34,000 mile vehicle. The earliest I have ever had to put pads on a vehicle is 60k and honestly I have never had to replace rotors. This is another ploy for Mazda/Ford to rip us off.

There are lots of "opinions" out there re any vehicle. You can't please everyone and I realize that, but at least acknowledge me that I am having problems. Do you think the hoopla of how unreliable these cars are is lies? 20 people out of say 90,000 is very unscientific.

I certainly invite anyone to come view/drive/inspect my Tribute and see what you think. I'll be glad to discuss the "few" warranty claims that have been attempted and let you look over my paperwork/maintenance receipts.

The foreign bias you have here should be eliminated from this chat, it's very obvious. The Japanese big 3 don't have the best dealership service either. But their products will outlast anything Ford makes.

I still stand on my soapbox and say, The Mazda Tribute is a piece of junk unworthy of your hard earned dollar!

Ray
    "I need both. Pads $98.00. Labor $200.00. That's a lot for a 34,000 mile vehicle."

I feel you pain. We had to do the same thing on our Civic at about 22,000 miles.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Alwaysed - Actually, that was the Pinto.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    you had a civic that needed replacement ROTORS at 22K??? I must admit that is the first time I have ever heard of that in a civic. In fact, I would think you would have a decent case for warranty work in that case - rotors are not the type of wear item that should be exempted from the b-to-b warranty.

02whttrib: had you had them turned (resurfaced) more than once already before replacement?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

"you had a civic that needed replacement ROTORS at 22K???"

Yep. We're on the third set of pads at 54,000 miles too.

"In fact, I would think you would have a decent case for warranty work in that case"

Not according to Honda at the time. My wife is rough on brakes, but not that rough. The hills around here just add to the problem.

"I must admit that is the first time I have ever heard of that in a civic."

It's not all that common, but I have seen it on various Civic boards.

I'm not so sure that the rear brakes are doing their job as they are still fine according to PA's inspection program. That may add to the problem as well.
    Brakes are a wearable item. Brake replacement depends on how the vehicle is driven. How does a brake job make a vehicle a piece of junk?? Ever look at how much better your Mazda Tribute comes to a stop when comparing other vehicles in this class? Ford/Mazda have chosen to use "soft" brake pads making braking distances shorter. and another reason for all the doggone brake dust. Try a raybestos brake pad.. And don't go to a car dealership for brakes.. if you do you a making a huge financial mistake...
    varmint: You are right, I stand corrected
    Honda are well known for having warped rotors at a young age. I've had 3 Accords since 1976 and all have had warped rotors.

We should not use Honda as brake system benchmark.
    A turd is still a turd even though it looks like a candy bar. Enough said!

Ray
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    We might have found a better way of expressing that sentiment.

tidester, host
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    I'm not disputing that you ended up with a vehicle that had problems. Every manufacturer ends up with a few vehicles that come off of the assembly line that experience problems. It also sounds like you also ended up with a poor dealership as well.

If I were in your shoes, I also would avoid the brand as well. I think thats the way it 'should' be. If a brand gives you problems, switch brands. I also believe the reverse is true too. If a brand has always been good to you, and they have a vehicle that fits your needs/wants, look towards that brand again.

When your in your Lexus at a stoplight next to a Tribute, feel free to look over and smile because someone else is driving the Tribute and not you. It won't hurt their feelings.
  • icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    I own a 2001 V6 XLT 4WD with over 28,000 trouble free miles. Scape2 5/12/03

I have just over 26,000 trouble free miles on mine. - Scape2 6/14/03

Lots of driving in reverse? OR lots of hot air?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    OR lots of hot air?

OR how about a typo? Of course, YOU'RE immune from that! ;-)

tidester, host
  • domettgdomettg Member Posts: 55
    I have a 2003 Trib. with 300 miles and have noticed a high pitch squeak above 35 mph. It is not the brakes because if I step on the brakes, it doesn't change. Could it be a wheel bearing? Anyone else have this?
  • icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    Just foolin around. It's a healthy little rivalry.
    I'm driving in reverse...
    How is that lawn mower engine doing in that CRV??
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    A reporter is aiming to interview someone who recently bought a new Ford for less than $38,000 after either owning used cars or waiting a while to replace a paid-off car.
    Please send your response including Ford model and daytime contact info by Monday, June 30 to jfallon@edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tribstertribster Member Posts: 20
    Hello everyone... New here... I bought a new 2003 Tribute LX with Tow Package and other Goodies. It has 800 miles on it now in about a month. I need help from anybody who can offer it.

I had my first problem a couple of days ago. I started noticing oil under my car. It is engine oil for sure(not red in color). I looked under the car at the engine oil pain area, and sure enough it is leaking oil. There is a cavity located right where transmisson(i think) meets the oil pan. It has a very cheap looking piece of rubber covering another cavity. The leaking oil seems to be coming from one/two bolts located in the oil pan. Not sure if it is leaking from the engine side or the Pan side. I am very disappointed and very upset. only 800 miles and one month of use.

Has anyone else experienced such an oil leak problem? Taking it in to the dealer tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated. I guess in my case, Ford forgot about "Quality is Job one".
  • rmhivrmhiv Member Posts: 1
    Well! I also have 34,000 miles. My Escape is in the shop right now and is getting front pads AND rotors! I complained to the dealer AND Ford. They say it's normal wear and tear.
    I DON'T THINK SO! - I even took the car in at 5,000 miles to log a complaint about the dust - just to provide a basis for what I knew was going to happen today. That was no help. Buyer beware - $429 for brakes at 34k miles!
    While I was reading the various posts about early oil leaks and other problems, I was reminded how two dealers told me they could install virtually any option package that was in the factory sales brochure. I was looking for a fairly loaded ES, but there were some item I did not want-no inventory unit had everything I wanted so I had to settle for the dealer installing the electro/compass mirror. In fact, one dealer told me they put additional packages on without indicating it was dealer installed, not factory ( or at the port). The comment in Post 2130 about the oil leak-maybe the dealer installed the hitch package which included an oil cooler, but did not do a good installation job. When I finally bought my ES, I asked the sales manager to cerify that all the options shown on the price sticker were installed at the KC assembly plant.
    Do you really think brakes last 60,000 miles thee days or what?? Brake usage is dependant on how the person drives the vehicle. This is why they are NOT a warranty item. As far as you paying over $400 dollars for a brake job.. You should have shopped around before going to a dealership. Along with visiting other Escape sites aroung the net. The reason why Escapes/Tribs shed so much brake dust (AND, they are not alone if you look at other cars/brands). is because they use soft brake pads. This is one reason why the Escape/Trib lead the pack in stopping distances in this class. There is a fix. Some have switched to Raybestos brake pads and this as considerably stopped the brake dust issue. Don't use these sheilds they offer as aftermarket. I am reading they cause excess heat and can cause warping.

Oil leak.. Take it back, get it fixed. If it continues to happen.. trade it in...
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Any idea how after-market pads affect stopping distances?
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    Any factory or port installed (for non-US built vehicles) options or accessories will be listed on the Monroney label (the factory price label). Any dealer installed accessories will be on a supplemental label, these also would have any ADM or Mop and Glo add-ons. Dealers do not print the factory Monroney, so they cannot have installed any accessories or options listed on it.
    That is exactly what my understanding was, but the salesman told me , while looking at what he had in inventory, that they had "upgraded" some LXs to ESs by the dealer installation of those packages. I had asked him how I could be sure they were factory installed-his response,"what difference does it make." My point in 2130 was that the post did not indicate whether it was a factory or dealer item.
    Brakes will were differently depending on what type of driver you are. When I had my 30,000 mile service done, I had the dealer check the brakes and they thought I had them replaced about 6000 miles before. I currently have 32,989 miles on my escape XLT. The only thing I had to change (still peeved about it too) was my tires. The Goodyear Wrangler RF-A's (60k tread life) that I had put on in the begining flat spotted due to the FWD of the 4WD system. I was told by Goodyear that the Escape has been eating through some tires because the 200 lbs-ft torque is too much for the some tires. Not to mention that my torque has increased up to 210 lbs-ft now and HP is now pushing 215, I bet that probally didn't help any either. :> So because I had full life Warranty through Goodyear I got New Tires DIRT CHEAP.(Free) So now I have 16" Dunlop Radial Rover A/T's. I was thinking about getting new Rims, but decided I didn't need them.

Odie
    I don't know how aftermarket brake pads will affect the stopping distances of the Escape/Trib..
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    The way to tell is to look at the window sticker. If it isn't listed on the factory sticker, it wasn't factory installed. There is no way to upgrade vehicle trim levels at the dealer level and have it be reflect on the factory label, period. Find a new salesman, that one doesn't have a clue.
  • zaimonzaimon Member Posts: 124
    I'm closing in on 45000 miles pretty fast and have noticed that lately, when accelerating slowly, the transmission in my 01 Tribute seems to make a grinding noise while shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear, I'm usually at 35 mph when this event occurs.

I'm wondering if the problem would be with the ATF. I'll most likely make an app. for an early 50,000 mile tune-up.

Any insight? Thanks. Jeff.
  • phat99eclipsephat99eclipse Member Posts: 1
    I own an '03 Tribute LS-V6 FWD and was wondering if anyone else here has experienced a problem with shifting out of Park when first starting the vehicle? It is sometimes very tough, almost abrupt. Problem is intermittent and certainly not associated with cold weather (live in South Texas). Other than this and the lower than expected Gas Mileage, I LOVE this thing. I replaced a '98 Honda Accord LX with this and very glad we(wife and I) did. Thanks in advance.

Don Wood