Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• jgenovesejgenovese Member Posts: 220
    Nadine,

Was that the first of 2010? If so, please provide more information. I am aware of an accident that was reported in 2008 or 2009 on this website that was attributed to this defect as well.

Sadly, you are correct. It is all about the $$$$$. As for me, I will never put a price on the heads of my family and I refuse to sit idly by while Ford does so, not only to us, but also to the hundreds of thousands of other victims of this defect.

Keep up the good work. You are an asset to our cause.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • workinglaurieworkinglaurie Member Posts: 6
    Was driving home by myself just after midnight when the car choked and died. It now will not go forward or in reverse. After reading all the problems with this model, I went back and forth with the dealer and Ford customer relations. The bill is $3000. The dealer says he will graciously take off $200! I am so outraged at the lack of integrity with this company. I can barely make the mortgage payment much less pay this bill. Where do I go from here??
  • nadinebnadineb Member Posts: 190
    Jim,

I found that there were twelve (12) injury reports filed with NHTSA. The most recent Date of Failure was 9 Dec. 2009 which had three injuries, and the earliest, if you can believe the date on this one is 1 January 1901. Ten of the reports are in the 2004 Model, one in the 2006 Model, and one in the 2007 Model.

The number of complaints filed with NHTSA for transmission and other failures is growing so fast. The figure is well over the four hundred (400) mark now.
    File a complaint with NHTSA and The Center for Auto Safety. Check the lemon laws in your state.

How many miles on the vehicle?
  • ehwilliehwilli Member Posts: 3
    Hi folks,

Just looking for a gut check here. I have a 2004 Monterey with 70k on it and a 75k extended warranty. I've been following this thread after finding it due to an unrelated transmission issue.

I have the urge to sell the van when the warranty runs out to avoid the trans. issue but my wife thinks I'm being overly cautious and should just stop reading this forum. Our van is paid for and we really don't want a car payment but I'm thinking family safety is more important. Anyone want to take sides and help me make a decision?

Thanks!
    Ted
    No car payment - good thing.
    PCM could be a problem later - check condition see post 941.
    Transmission - may fail after warranty runs out. See if you can purchase a new one to cover it. May be less expensive than a new vehicle. You could start saving for the new transmission.

Personally, I would replace the van if I had children it would go fast. I was extremely frightened for my safety in our van. My van failed while I was entering a high speed road way. It failed on my husband during rush hour on I95 leaving Philly.

You decide.
    Anyone know what if water could enter the transmission of these vehicles through the cowl?
    Wow. Thanks for the update. As for the NHTSA website, what a valuable resource. Why isn't this on the news yet? 400 complaints! I guess someone will pick it up when there is a fatality.

Ford could take a lesson from Toyota. Unprecedented action that they took. That is yet one more of the many reasons my next 2 vehicles will be Toyotas.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • bobbijobobbijo Member Posts: 9
    Did anyone see that CNN interviewed Allen Mulally (Ford CEO). He talked about Toyota & praised them for taking such decisive action & explained that Ford was checking one of their oversees ventures because less than 2000 vehicles may have used the same supplier. He said it was important to Ford to learn everything they could about the problem & act decisively even they have no complaints & it may affect so few vehicles--& that that is what they do with any potential hazards that Ford or other manufactures find. I was watching for my son's bus so I didn't hear the whole program (& didn't think to record it) but I was shocked by what he was saying. He said the recall & production stop were the right thing to do while Toyota got a grip on the problem & that it is Ford's policy to do the same with any potential safety issue. Never once did they mention the Freestar investigation--just the Firestone situation.
    Did anyone else get a better look at the segment? It was on Rick's List.
    Again, shame on Ford. I believe that they are hoping that they can take over all the sales that Toyota may loose due to this problem. At least Toyota is doing something. I really hope that Ford does not benefit from this. Ford does not like any negative publicity. In some of the the letters about recalls they were forced to undertake, they specifically state that they (Ford) will not notify the media.

I was researching the powertrain control module problem and found a DaimlerChrysler publication from February 2004 for Dodge Ram Pick-up Trucks. It states,"The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) electrical connectors on about 70,000 of the above trucks may allow water to enter into the connectors. Water and the resulting corrosion in the PCM connector can cause the speed control and /or transmission overdrive function to become inoperative."

They also continued to state that if you already paid to have it repaired, send the original receipts and/or other adequate proof of payment for reimbursement. Hello Ford give me back my money for your defect!
  • oilandwateroilandwater Member Posts: 50
    Remember, it took the government to make Toyota to do the right thing.....
  • ftfclubftfclub Member Posts: 14
    Might be the right time to contact the local media about this story. Our local tv stations in Philly are covering the Toyota story like it is the only story in town! I am going
    to contact our local media "consumer report department", and refer them to this
    site......just maybe someone will tackle this story?
  • fallingstar2fallingstar2 Member Posts: 7
    That's a good idea! Here in Vancouver Canada no one really exposing this Ford's
    problem. Please do it exposed them!
  • barrybeck1barrybeck1 Member Posts: 11
    Well after reading all the complaints and it seems literally always the same thing, electrical (PCM Related), transmission and/or brakes I have decided to also lodge a complaint with the NHTSA. I would say fortunately for me the trans and the electrical was handled under warranty, not to say the trans won't happen again, and I am now well out of warranty. And Ford did extend my warranty because of not only all the trouble I had but the dealership itself was trying to work with me so they got Ford to extend my warranty, and fortunately for me they did because the trans did fail during the extended period. So I decided it couldn't hurt to file a complaint and maybe help to get things corrected or replaced under a recall or at the very least help save a life. My report Number is 10303445. I would suggest to everyone with similar problems to their Ford or Monterey Vans to file a complaint.

Barry
  • doodlealldaydoodleallday Member Posts: 31
    On a Friday in July, 2009 I was traveling home from a memorial service out of state and as I was passing a trailer truck in the center lane on I-77 my transmission failed. I was fortunate enough to be able to drop back behind the truck and then maneuver my 2005 Freestar to the side of the road (where I thanked God that no one hit me nor me hitting someone else). The closest garage (after waiting one hour for AAA to send tow truck) diagnosed the problem as a crack in the torque converter. Since they could not get one until Monday I had the tow truck to take me and the van to Huntersville, NC where they diagnosed the same problem. They lent me a car (free) and said it would be ready on Monday. The cost was $1600 plus anquish and inconveniece. My car only had 68,000 miles. I wrote to Ford (Mulally) twice but got a form letter once and a call from customer service on the second correspondence saying there was nothing they could do - sorry but.... I was told that Mulally was very busy and could not directly respond to my request. I had asked if transmission problems on Freestars had been a problem and where my vehicle was built. They said they could not give me that info. The last call from Ford was last week (almost 6 months after my initial inquiry). I have contemplated writing Mulally again with a copy to the major TV channels (ABC,CBS,NBC and FOX). Has anyone else expierenced this nonchalant response?
    This would be a great opportunity for an enterprising media outlet person, perhaps an investigative reporter, to confront Mr. Mulally on his apparent hypocrisy/dishonesty. It's just a matter of time before the media picks up on this website and this issue.
    That's not nonchalance. That is systemic, intentional, reckless indifference and fraud. Mulally is "busy" trying to capitalize on Toyota's troubles. What he apparently doesn't realize is that it is Toyota's response and handling of the problem that is what consumers like me are going to remember when we make our next new vehicle purchase.

The contrast is quite remarkable. The cowards at Ford lie, obfuscate, mislead, and deny, while Toyota acknowledges, engages, and fixes the problem.

Toyota gets it. Ford does not. Toyota gets my business. Ford does not.

Ford had my business and my endorsement for 25 years and blew it with their handling of the Freestar issue. The truly sad part is that Ford does not care. A loyal customer for 25 years and they turned away from me and my family in an instant.

Ford put my family and thousands of others in harms way by marketing a family vehicle based on its safety rating. This defect almost cost my family their lives and likely will cost someone their life before all is said and done.

What a different course this could have taken had Ford done the right thing.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • sunburnsunburn Member Posts: 319
    If the Freestar I saw along the side of the highway this morning was there because of a transmission problem. I thought about stopping and putting a note on the windshield, but was already late for work.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    What we're seeing here is the difference between Asian and American culture and business practices. When something like this happens, it's a loss of face for an Asian, and simply unacceptable. It's unfortunate that more American companies don't feel the same way, and do the right thing. Although it appears Toyota was "forced" to take this unprecedented step, plenty of other Asian-based companies have stood behind their product far after the warranty expired, including Honda with their AT problems. I'm a current Ford owner, and am willing to give them a chance. In fact, I think Ford is our last great hope for an American auto manufacturer.
    I found an interesting piece this evening in the Federal Register/Vol.67, No. 183/Friday, September 20, 2002. It is a Denial of Motor Vehicle Defect Petition from NHTSA. The petition was from Mr. William Salyer concerning sudden acceleration. "Mr. Salyer's analysis concluded that water in the PCM was the cause of the sudden acceleration."

Personally, I am done with Ford. They have poorly handled this situation in order to protect their own company at the expense of the American people. It will take Toyota years to come back from this financial crisis, but at least the company has some honor. Ford on the other hand would rather keep families in peril driving these vehicles. I seriously doubt that they even have any engineers working on these issues. Unlike Toyota, Ford seems to be able to handle damage control by controlling the media.

The other problem I see is NHTSA itself. They do not seem to have any standards for opening investigations. If the American public does not take a stand, they seem to turn a blind eye on situations until too many people die and the public cries out in protest. Out of all the automotive companies, NHTSA seem to protect Ford the most when they appear to be the most UN-AMERICAN!

If Ford is our last hope for an American company, we are all doomed! There is a saying to do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Well, Ford since I understand that Ford's philosophy is.....Let'em crash and burn..........................
    I think you have it partially right, there is Toyota America, run by americans, and there is world Toyota HQ in Japan. I have a 2009 Camry (made in USA) which I am trying to get Toyota USA to fix under their warranty and have already gone to arbitration...so don't fool yourself, its all about money.....
    Today I received follow-up survey questionnaire regarding their phone call to me on Jan. 19,2010. Needless to say I plan to give them an ear full on explanations to several questions as well as marking "Completely Dissatisfied" on others. Also, I am in the process of composing a letter to Mulally and copy all major news channels (national and local) concerning my previous letters and phone calls to Ford but not having my questions answered. I am sure this follow-up survey is pure routine and that my answers do not mean anything to them but it lets me at least vent. I am not giving up on this as I feel I have been treated pretty shabby. As a long-time loyal Ford customer my husband and I have owned 28 vehicles over the years for personal and business uses.

Many years ago I owned a Plymouth wagon which had many problems early on. The local dealer would not do a thing so I wrote Plymouth CEO and within a week the district manager met me at the dealership and they fixed everything on my list. That was then and this is now but what a difference "corporate greed" makes.
    CNN Alan Mulally

Talk about speaking with a forked tongue. Mr. Mulally needs to drive a Ford Freestar!
    You are correct. The difference here is that the CEO of Toyota himself, who's last name is Toyoda, issued a statement accepting responsibility for the sudden acceleration issue and, in traditional honorable fashion, "fell on his sword." It reminds me of when Chrysler got caught tampering w/ odometers on executive vehicles to sell them as new. Instead of denying it and turning away from it like the cowards at Ford, then chairman Lee Iacocca, went public admitting the seemingly inexplicable action and accepted full responsibilty for it. He actually described the behavior as "Stupid." The difference here is honor.

I teach my kids every day that, at the end of the day, honor and integrity are all that you have. Once you lose either in the eyes of your family, teachers, friends, public, etc., you can never get it back.

Ford has demonstrated, clearly, that they don't have either honesty or integrity and likely never will. As for Toyota, your situation not withstanding, they have taken the first step in what will likely be a long journey back. The key is that they took the step. I intend to be one of many who will take that journey with them.

In contrast, Ford came to that very same crossroads and decided to to take a quick left turn and bailed out, slithering off into the darkness.

We have said over and over in this forum, what a different end this story could have had. Instead of a classic tale of redemption and lessons in honor to pass on to future generations, it is a tale of hubris, greed, and fraud.

What a shame.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
    I doubt Mr Mulally has ever had to drive himself or his family anywhere. What I have heard from him so far has been unimpressive, to be kind. That's OK. It is just a matter of time before this story gets picked up. If handled correctly, it could easily make some enterprising reporter or anchor's entire career, especially now, against the backdrop of Toyota's situation.

Again, however they got here, Toyota is stepping up in a HUGE way.

Ford, in stark contrast, has not.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • cmrooneycmrooney Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I have a 2004 Freestar with about 75K miles. I have had issues for months now with the error message "Check Trac Control" and then "Check Tires" coming up. I have read many of the posts here and did see that a few times but am wondering if anyone else has had this diagnosed at the Hydraulic Control Unit?

Sometimes the car runs fine - other times I feel like I am fighting it will everything! Feels like the car is "tripping" if that makes sense...

We had some mechanics look at it - try replacing sensors etc - and they finally said that the dealer needed to run diagnostic. They told me it is the Hydraulic Control Unit and it has to be replaced (of course not covered on my powertrain warrantee) for about $2700-$3000.

My car did once just turn off while I was driving last fall (not raining at the time) and I was basically told it was a fluke. It started back up but VERY scary! I am afraid I am going to experience what some others have posted here!
    Look at the PCM. If water got on the computer, it can cause all types of issues.

Good luck.
  • ThirstybootsThirstyboots Member Posts: 8
    I too have had problems with lights popping on my dash - traction control and tires. Took this LEMON back to the dealership many times with no fix. After my warranty ran out, I gave out. Will have to ask about the hydraulic control unit.
  • smtmunysmtmuny Member Posts: 5
    I to live in Newport News Virginia area and my 2004 Ford Freestar Transmission failed without warning on Jan. 10th (79,500 miles) as I was slowly pulling away from a stop light at about 15 mph.

Can you update me on what you were able to accomplish through the Virginia Attorney General's office?

Thanks in advance?
    Don't forget NHTSA and the Center for Auto Safety! Each report is crucial.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
    Ford should receive a letter of complaint. If you feel that your safety was jeopardized, you should make that statement loudly. The letter Ford submitted to NHTSA makes the point that safety is not the issue, money is the source of the complaint. While money is a part of the complaint, I believe that safety is the bigger issue.

Ford and NHTSA need to get the message!
    Can everyone posting under this forum give the date of your last dealership service/repair visit PRIOR to the date of your transmission failure OR pronounced transmission operation? Why am I asking for this information? With slow U.S. auto sales over the past 5 years or so, I honestly believe their are some dealership technicians THAT WILL "TWEEK YOUR FREESTAR" in a different area (most cases their repair or service work is warranted for 12 months) so as to cause a failure in the near future THUS ENSURING THEY ARE KEPT BUSY (job security) as the dealership continues to make money on maintenance repairs or trade-ins. Would you say transmission work is the probably the #1 or #2 most expensive work next to major engine repairs or replacements? So again in closing, can everyone go back and correlate the last dealership repair/service visit date with the date of the transmission failure or pronounced transmission abnormal operation?
    We purchased our van in 2008. It was almost a year to the date when the back hatch would not open, and from there the vehicle went downhill fast (no pun intended).

This is an interesting question, but I personally do not think that it was the technicians tweaking the vehicle. My problem with the vehicle has been documented in other vehicles, except other manufactures have repaired the defect in order to prevent crashes unlike Ford.

I believe that if I had taken my vehicle to the dealership first instead of my trusted mechanic, then I would have a new transmission. Instead, taking it to the dealership, I received an abundance amount of emotional stress fearing for my safety, large bills for unsatisfactory repairs, and towing costs, too.
  • espaderespader Member Posts: 1
    Well-maintained '05 Freestar with 53k miles. Van has been in the shop 3 times during the past 3 weeks. Problem with water getting into the PCM, then a PCM replacement, now a stutter in the transmission at low speeds (35-40 mph). I'm sure a complete tranny rebuild isn't too far away as the stutter almost certainly points to the torque converter.

I'm a web developer and I'm currently developing a website to take action against Ford by making other Freestar and Monterey owners aware of this problem and pointing them where to go to write Ford, the NHTSA, their congressional leaders, etc. Anyone willing to help put a website together by providing links or news, articles or even a quote or story about your situation can email me at edspader@gmail.com.
  • er1457er1457 Member Posts: 8
    Wow, aren't you a trusting soul.

I never took my 2005 ford freestar to a ford dealership for any kind of work. All my work was done by 3 or 4 different shops or stations.

Never the less, my transmission failed one bright sunny 100+ degree August day, during a slight drought period, at about 75K miles, on the entrance ramp for the 70 MPH Dallas Tollway.

Have a little more faith in your fellow man. I don't think a dealer wants to go to jail, and ruin sales for the ford products he sells, just to make a few hundred bucks. Why should he take the risk... the transmission's will fail anyway, without his taking any risk!
    "ER1457",
    In my opinion, unless you have a close friend at a dealership or auto repair shop,
    there will be times when SOMEONE there will lie to you about what was wrong with your car JUST TO MAKE THEIR MORTGAGE/RENT MONEY FOR THE WEEK.
    60 minutes has ,on record, lots of investigative reports that show how their hidden cameras have caught mechanics "TWEAKING" cars to make the customers think something is really wrong with their car. IT'S CALLED THE SURVIAL GAME OR GREED, and it happens even more during rough economic times.
    Again, in my opinion, IF YOU TAKE YOUR CAR ANYWHERE, and that mechanic has not made enough money to pay the mortgage or the utility bill due the next day then I bet you over 50% of them would NOT TELL YOU YOUR FUEL PUMP FUSE WAS BLOWN. 50% of them would tell you they had to replace your fuel pump for a total cost $450.00.
    Do you own test. Take your good car WITH NO PROBLEMS to several shops and tell them it over-heated three times last week and now it won't start after you drive it for a while and it gets hot. See how many check it out and tell you nothing is wrong. If none of them are your close friends, I'll bet you more than 50% of them will tell you "It's a Blown Head Gasket, which is MAJOR MAINTENANCE, and will cost you anywhere between $1000 and $2000 depending on they type of vehicle and what they think you can afford.
    This same principle drives this country to lead the world in unnecessary surgeries. A surgeon can NOT make his money to support the lifestyle he/she is used to if they always tell you what pill or natural herb to take to cure the problem. In their biased opinion, surgery will always be the recommendation in most cases.
    So, in summary, it is my opinion, that all the FREESTAR transmission failures ARE NOT ALWAYS A MAJOR COMPONENT FAILURE. I'll bet most of them are simple things like broken linkages, clogged filters, blown fuses, bad PCMS. But to demand $3000 to $4000 they will most likely tell you it was a MAJOR FAILURE!
    My Freestar was only in for service at the dealer at 22K miles and 35K miles. The torque converter failed at 49K miles, 13 months after the last visit to the dealer. So, no correlation.

The dealer service department is where the real money is made at a dealership. It's not on the sale of vehicles. As a business, the service manager has financial goals that they need to meet. There are unscrupulous ones out there that will try to sell you items and service you don't really need. Unfortunately, these people survive because most people are ignorant when it comes to their vehicles.

Last fall I had my truck in to the dealer for a whining sound from the rear end. They could have stuck me with a $2K-$3K bill for a new rear axle. However, they said it was most likely the tires. I replaced the tires about a month later, and the noise was gone. A couple of weeks ago I had the same vehicle into the dealer for what I thought was a squeaky serpentine belt, but could have been the belt tensioner as well. So, I had them take a look. I told them that if was the belt, not to do anything, since that was something I could easily do on my own. They said the tensioner was fine and that it was just the belt. Again, they could have nailed me for a $200-$300 repair, but didn't.

So, they aren't all crooks.
    I believe that the barriers here belong to Ford Motor Company and not the dealerships. The corporation is being lead by a weak and sick management team that is attempting to deny the message the customers are sending. Instead of looking for the opportunity to correct the situation and produce a stronger product, Ford's denial will lead them to their demise taking the dealerships with them.

When you start losing your customer base, you will lose the company. Strong product, strong company.
  • lora_clora_c Member Posts: 1
    Our Monterey's transmission failed a few months ago. Our dealer suggested a rebuilt transmission, rather than a repair, as the cost could end up the same, and the rebuilt comes with a full warranty. So I shelled out the 3K and had it done. I then made a report to DOT, and got an inquiry back from them asking about how/when/where it happened, and the cost of repair. I also reported it to Ford. With all the problems there have been, I'm sure it will eventually be recalled. SO...keep your receipts, as you would get reimbursed for the work, or the transmission repaired if it has not failed.

(Especially for Ted) I know it is frustrating (and at times dangerous) when these things happen. But everytime you get in your car you take on some risk. I think you can't dwell on it, and you can't avoid it. If you dump the van, you may get something that has another problem....like the toyota that keeps going! Every car has it's issues, but most of the time it is the driver that causes the worst accidents. We were lucky, ours failed on a city street, coasted to the side and towed it to the dealer.

I realize that Ford is a business, and they didn't do this to us on purpose. Things have to run their course, and go through the proper investigations and decisions. I used to work at the highway department, and guard rails wer not placed until the 3rd fatality. I know that sounds harsh, but they can't afford to place them everywhere, so depending on the traffic, etc., there are "standards". My brother died in an accident, and after his, a guard rail appeared. The accident had nothing to do with vehicle failure. It can happen. If you worried about everything, you'd never leave your home......and then a plane can land on your home. Just be aware if you loose the transmission, instead of breaking, coast to a safe spot. Once it happens, you have no power. And then, make the report, repair your car, and keep the receipt!

I hope all failures are like ours, flat land and not much traffic!
  • drhmthdrhmth Member Posts: 6
    please also go to the NHSTA site and file a complaint with them. There has been a very active investigation going that I am hoping will lead to a recall. Ford has been of absolutely no help other than to admit there is a problem. I expect they will have to act when a recall is issued.
    There is a lot of sensitivity with recalls (Toyota) in congress right now and the spot light is on the NHTSA, so now is the time to write your congress man/woman via internet or mail make sure you ask for a response from your congress man/woman, not one of their support staff even a phone call might work, just google their name. Tell them that they a being put on report and they will have blood on their hands if they don't do anything. This is a "family" vechile not a sports car....and people have already been injured and luckily no family has been killed.....we need you to push this issue to a head now, its time to pile on!
    Tell them that they are being put on report and they will have blood on their hands if they don't do anything.
  • slavestarslavestar Member Posts: 2
    YOU CAN ADD MY FAMILY TO THE LIST!! Driving my kids to school in our 2005 Freestar, going uphill and no forward drive. I pulled over to the side of the road and tried every gear, nothing engaged. No check engine light or anything. I called the local shop where my vehicles are maintained and they towed it in and inspected it, needs a new transmission or rebuild. The van has 63K miles on it! I filed the complaint with NHTSA and called Ford. I explained that I am a loyal Ford owner and currently own SIX Fords, (we have 10 kids). They said there is nothing they can do! I was just seeking some help with the $2500 repair bill, they are willing to lose a loyal customer like myself and not admit that there are serious issues with this van. I will be selling my Fords and will never buy another! Unfortunately, I will have to fix my SLAVE-star to trade it in. :sick:
  • slavestarslavestar Member Posts: 2
    YOU CAN ADD MY FAMILY TO THE LIST!! Driving my kids to school in our 2005 Freestar, going uphill and no forward drive. I pulled over to the side of the road and tried every gear, nothing engaged. No check engine light or anything. I called the local shop where my vehicles are maintained and they towed it in and inspected it, needs a new transmission or rebuild. The van has 63K miles on it! I filed the complaint with NHTSA and called Ford. I explained that I am a loyal Ford owner and currently own SIX Fords, (we have 10 kids). They said there is nothing they can do! I was just seeking some help with the $2500 repair bill, they are willing to lose a loyal customer like myself and not admit that there are serious issues with this van. I will be selling my Fords and will never buy another! Unfortunately, I will have to fix my SLAVE-star to trade it in. :sick:
    Today I officially filed my complaint on the NHTSA/ODI website. We all need to DO THIS NOW and KEEP THE PRESSURE ON FORD MOTOR COMPANY TO DO A RECALL! More later!
    Searching the website for NHTSA, as of today there are 461 complaints on the 2004 Model, 247 complaints on the 2005 Model, 42 complaints on the 2006 Model, and 4 complaints on the 2007 Model.

Please do file a complaint with The Center for Auto Safety. They ask if you want to be a part of a class action suit. Make it easier for the attorneys to find you!!!
  • sberry13sberry13 Member Posts: 2
    My husband and I purchases a 2005 Ford Freestar eight months ago and have had nothing but problems since the getgo. It's been in the shop five times from water leaking into the spark plugs. No matter what they do, they can't seem to stop it. It will be driving just fine and the engine will cut off out of the blue. This thing is a total lemon. We also had the back latch break within the first frew months of owning it. I'm so fed up with it and the money it has cost us. Unfortunately it is our only vehicle. We've had to pay for a rental car all week while the transmission people have been looking it over. They said there was nothing wrong with the transmission, it just needs a new computer box because of the water damage. We are going to try to trade it for something else, but we will see what happens. Wish us luck. :lemon:
    Today, per suggestion from a previous post I filed a complaint with The Center for Auto Safety concerning the failure of the transmission while enroute home on the interstate (alone and miles and miles from home). If there is something else I need to do please let me know. Thank you.
  • ckwshortykwckwshortykw Member Posts: 1
    The NHTSA as well as Ford is well aware of the problems with the transmissions on the make and model vehicle as well as the F-150 pick-up trucks. According to several sources, the same transmission that is used in the Ford taurus was used in these two vehicles. The Taurus weighs approximately 2,000 pounds less than the Freestar or the F-150. It is widely considered that the transmission is too small to adequately last for an acceptable period of time without failing. Ford has also used its warranty limits for getting out of paying for repairs; no fluid changes every 30,000 miles or the transmission fails after the mileage limit expires. What a coincidence that in many cases most failures are right after the warranty expires. Unfortunately, and maybe because the government now has a vested interest in the motor industry, the NHSTB fails to recognize this common problem as a defect. There have been thousands of complaints lodged, all with basically the same reply; they feel there is not sufficient evidence at this time to force a recall. :mad: :mad: :mad:
    While the Freestar and Taurus used the same transmission (or transmission family), the F-150 does not. The Freestar and Taurus transmission is only for front wheel drive vehicles. The F-150 transmission is a rear wheel drive transmission that is common between the 4.2L V-6, 4.6L and 5.4L V-8s. While the base F-150 had the same 4.2L V-6 as the Freestar, they did not share transmissions.