Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• jgenovesejgenovese Member Posts: 220
    That is precisely why we have to keep the pressure up on Ford and NHTSA. We also need to piggyback off of the Toyota situation. Say what you want about Toyota, however they got here, they are stepping up to the plate. Ford, in stark contrast, continues to thumb it's nose at us and NHTSA. It is up to us to hold both Ford and NHTSA's feet to the fire until we get action. NHTSA works for US, not Ford. The disgusting thing is that Ford is acting very self righteous right now, at Toyota's expense, while they themselves are guilty of concealing a defect that could cause a fatality. Where is the media on this one?
  • doodlealldaydoodleallday Member Posts: 31
    I say we go really, really, really public with this - notify local, state and national media! Any thoughts on this suggestion?
  • filosophyfilosophy Member Posts: 1
    Last evening, Feb 16th, my 2005 Ford Freestat also lost all motive power. Fortunately I lost power turning onto a major street that had a wide centre median where I was able to stop and await a tow. I have the van at a local Ford dealership and am waiting on the unhappy word as to the cost to repair. This was an abrupt loss of power with no prior problems, as reported elsewhere in these postings. Can anyone advise if there is a procedure to report to NHSTA for vehicles located in Canada or if there is another reporting proceudre that should be followed.
  • oilandwateroilandwater Member Posts: 50
    I'm sure Canada has their own government transportation safety agency in Ottawa ....remember, if you get it fixed, make sure they use aftermarket harden steel for the spline shaft and torque converter. Additionally for people who haven't had this problem occur yet, you can save some money by replacing the torque converter and splne shaft and this should keep you from having to replace the whole transmission since the transmission wouldn't be affected by foreign material e.g. steel pieces entering the transmission housing from the failure of the spline shaft and torque converter ...
  • oilandwateroilandwater Member Posts: 50
    This is from Congressman's Darrell Issa website serving California's 49th district “As Congress continues to investigate and evaluate how both industry and regulators have responded to consumer concerns related to vehicle malfunctions, I want to get a firsthand account of how local dealerships are responding to the growing amount of consumers who have questions about the safety of their vehicles,” Issa said. “Whether it is a microprocessor engineer or the top executive, it is essential that we pursue every available information resource so we can be better informed heading into next week’s hearing. I want a clear picture about what is being done to ensure the safety of not just Toyota owners, but of every driver of any vehicle in America.”
  • nadinebnadineb Member Posts: 190
    Thank you Congressman Darrell!
  • fallingstar2fallingstar2 Member Posts: 7
    I am sorry for your Fallstar. If I were you I would trade that vehicle away. I'd just traded mine last week, Yes! I've lost money but at least I don't have to worry again. This might help you to report this problem here in Canada.

God Bless your Family!

Here's the email response to my letter to Transport Canada:

Thank you for your inquiry to Transport Canada:
    Transport Canada is aware of the transmission problems with the 2004-2005 Ford Freestar. In order for us to proceed, we require additional information. We request that you complete our on-line complaint form. Please include your vehicle's seventeen digit vehicle identification number(VIN), current kilometerage, a narrative of the incident or problem, along with all other pertinent and contact information.

Please visit our webpage at:
    https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/PCDB-BDpp?Index
    We provide the following additional information and explanation:
    Transport Canada administers the Motor Vehicle Safety Act. This act provides that if a vehicle manufacturer becomes aware of a defect that may affect the safe operation of a motor vehicle, they are required by this Act and Canadian law to notify the Minister of Transport, and the owners of the affected vehicles that a Safety-Related Defect exists. The defect must occur without prior warning to the vehicle operator, and affect a certain identifiable group or class of vehicles.

Transport Canada's mandate does not permit us to negotiate with a vehicle manufacturer on behalf of individual consumers with respect to any warranty and financial concerns and /or disputes. This is the responsibility of provincial consumer agencies, organizations and /or groups, or the courts.

Yours truly,
    Recall and Defects | Rappel et Défauts
    613) 993 9851 - (800) 333-0510
    TTY / ATS (613) 990-4500
    facsimile / télécopieur (613) 991-5802
    Transport Canada | Transports Canada, ASFAD
    2780 Chemin Sheffield Road, Ottawa ON K1B 3V9
    Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada
  • nitronormnitronorm Member Posts: 1
    We to had the third ford van die from a transmission that was not assembled correct at the manufacture no lazor weld on the planatery gears and it prematurely wore and the metal filings destroyed the transmission
    How many miles did you have when transmission went out? What year Freestar?
  • olangolang Member Posts: 6
    Mine is a 2005 Freestar. It was around 119,000 I am thinking. But, I don't have the paperwork with me at this time.

I also just had to replace the Universal in the steering. I was told by one shop that it was either Power steering pump or the rack and pinion. I then took it to another shop that wanted to get into it before they said it was that. But, they stated it wasn't the pump before getting into it.

I do drive mine alot. However, I think the transmission problem is not from driving it alot.
  • jplumbjplumb Member Posts: 1
    This is my 1st post here. I have a 2004 Mercury Monterey, in the beginning of January 2010 I had my transmission rebuild for the 2nd time as of today I have 62,500 miles on my van. My mechanic just called the tranny isn't covered under the last repair because it is the cooling system that cools the tranny that is causing the continued problem. I just filed my complaint with NTHSA (I think that is the correct acronym).

Jennifer
    Jennifer,

1.) You need to get a second opinion on the cause of your transmission failure.It is not likely the cause that your mechanic has said it is. Is this by chance a Ford or Mercury dealer?

2.) In addition to NHTSA, please file a complaint with the Center for Auto Safety. They are not affiliated with the government but are a very credible and well-respected organization.

3.) Stay tuned to this forum and keep us posted on your situation.
  • workinglaurieworkinglaurie Member Posts: 6
    Mine gave out at 54,000. It is a 2004 Mercury Monterey. Cost $2,500 to replace.
  • barrybeck1barrybeck1 Member Posts: 11
    my freestar lost its transmission at about 65,000 miles and its a 2004
    Today I filed a complaint against the Ford Motor Company with NHTSA concerning Freestar's transmission problems with particular emphasis on safety. In addition I have filed same with the Center for Auto Safety recently. I will keep you advised of their reply!
  • berghdberghd Member Posts: 2
    Yesterday our transmission died. 2004 Ford Freestar with 75,000 miles. Is there a link that I can submit a complaint to an organization that might care about this. Reading the messages below lead me to believe I'm among many.
    Yes, both are on the internet: nhtsa.dot.gove (National Highway Transportation Safety Administration); autosafety.com (Center for Auto Safety). In addition I wrote to Ford Motor Co several times. Let's hope that others who have problems will do so as well.
  • berghdberghd Member Posts: 2
    For anyone out there with the same situation of a dead transmission on your Ford Freestar, I have some advice. I had the repairs done at a Ford dealer and after I told them what I had found on the internet, I asked what he could do about reducing the $1750 bill. (that included the replacement of the stripped torque converter shaft and labor to remove and install the transmission) Ford was able to do what they call and after warranty adjustment and reduced my bill by $1000. I walked away with only paying $750. Don't be afraid to ask for a reduction because Ford obviously knows about this problem!
  • workinglaurieworkinglaurie Member Posts: 6
    My husband and I both spent over an hour going back and forth with Ford and our Lincoln/Mercury dealer. Our bill at first was $3000....my dealer finally kicked in his "total budget" for the month to help "loyal customers," which was $500. We still ended up paying over $2500. This seems so criminal to me....to make a customer pay for anything that is a defect to begin with.
    You are so right with the comment about it being criminal when it is a know defect. I do not understand why this is allowed to go on for so long! Isn't there any laws in this land to protect citizens from this type of fraud? :confuse:
  • omtjromtjr Member Posts: 1
    yes i had the same problem my mini van has 56,000 miles and the transmission went
    now the repair is costing me 2500+ i was driving fine with no sign what so ever just quit working
    Consider yourself lucky. My transmission went at 45K miles.

My dealer told me to pound sand. Ford treated me like I was a second class citizen and made it very clear to me that I was not a valued customer after bying Ford exclusively for 25 years.
    I would certainly echo your sentiments. I too felt as if they didn't care and we have owned personally and for business many, many Ford vehicles. They keep telling me that there has not been a real problem only isolated cases. My transmission went out at 56,000 miles without any warning. Pretty scary when you are driving on the interstate alone - luckily I made it to the shoulder of the road but not without some heart-stopping moments. I am relentless on this subject. I have written Ford many times as well as the NHTSA and Center for Auto Safety.
  • lmcallerylmcallery Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2010
    I just hung up with Ford. This is the second time my 2005 Freestar has had the transmission go. The first time was at 39K in 2007, I am now at 65K. I am incredibly disappointed with Ford for not standing behind the vehical, and for not taking aim at this serious problem. Mine went as I was traveling on the highway with my 10 year old in the van with me. Thankfully, we were able to get off the road before being plowed into. This entire situation is unacceptable to me. That there are hundreds of pages of posts about this problem, and still Ford has done nothing is unbelievable. I will fight this as far as I can as the repair/replacement is being quoted at $2965. My next call is the Attorney General here. And I will continue up the food chain until I get what I deserve. And from the sounds of it, I think I deserve a whole lot more than Ford does!
  • avrosarioavrosario Member Posts: 1
    Last thursday night my transmission stop working while running. The diagnostic is the Transmission Converter is gone. A couple of weeks before, the car started doing abnormal accelerations up to 3000 rpm while no shifting properly. When it rains, the check engine lits and blinks, and if you push the gas pedal it makes like little explosions. My van just have 55,000 miles on it. I traded my 2001 Escape, which I loved for this piece of junk I'm crazy to get rid of. What can I do to not get stuck with a van that owes more than it is worth? I'm open to :lemon: suggestions. :lemon:
  • singlemomstucksinglemomstuck Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2005 ford freestar from Nassief in Ashtabula, OH. Up until Feb 20, 2010 it was driving JUST FINE. Then on 2/20/2010, I went to pull out of a driveway and NOTHING. The engine was running, the gear shifter went into reverse, but NO movement backwards. When some friends came to help me out, they noticed that my front tires were not spinning to move backwards, I could turn my steering wheel and move the tires sideways, but when I hit the gas pedal, the van just stayed right where it was. There were NO problems AT ALL prior to this happening, either the day it happened OR leading up to that day. It just quit, died, broke down. I have not taken it anywhere, due to financial reasons, yet. But in reading these posts, should I go to a FORD dealer, or where I bought it, or what? I am at my wits end. I WILL be going to NHTSA and Center for auto safety, and to FORD to put my 2 cents in there as well. I hope all goes well. By the way, I have a little over 120K miles on mine when this happened. It was used when I bought it, 99K. Thanks for everyone posting their issues and problems with their freestars.
    I also heard that the transmissions that are in the freestars are the same ones that are used in the ford taurus, has anyone else heard this? IF so, how is that allowed? Isn't there a significant difference between the two cars as far as weight and carry loads? Is this something that is of questionable product safety?
    Brook
    Brook,

Thank you for contacting NHTSA and Center for Auto Safety. These steps are CRITICAL to our cause.

As for the transmissio being the same as in the Taurus, that is what my mechanic told me. He is a retired Ford tech w/ 20 years experience there who now operates an AAMCO franchise. I am pretty sure that qualifies him to make that statement.

Keep us posted on your progress.
  • djcriddledjcriddle Member Posts: 6
    Yes, my transmission went at 70,000 miles sept 09. I luckily bought an aftermarket warranty with full coverage so all I had to pay was my $100 deductible. I've seen lots of other posts on the net about it and that they're the same kind that they used to put in the old taurus's. They need to make this a recall, but I know they won't. Keep an eye on your Power control Module too because it will give you problems too if it gets any kind of moisture.
  • djcriddledjcriddle Member Posts: 6
    That actually could be your power control module. If it gets any moisture in it the motor will run all kinds of choppy and sputtery. Mine has even stalled out while driving!
  • momtobcltmomtobclt Member Posts: 19
    Why are the 2004 and 2005's the only ones being investigated? I have a 2006 and I had to have my PCM replaced. I had my van in the shop more than 25 times in 3 years because of all of the issues from the PCM. It was because of this site that I found out what the problem was.
    Edmunds is wonderful. It helped me realize that I was not the only one with the problem, and assisted me in finding some resources to file a complaint.
  • coneflower1coneflower1 Member Posts: 15
    I'm not sure why just the 04 and 05's either. Our 06 has had the transmission fail twice now. I live in fear of us be injured or killed. It's our newest family vehicle and we still owe on it, so we're stuck. I just remain prayerful and hope Ford does the right thing.
    I would not count on Ford Motor Company doing the right thing for the consumer without a legal team forcing them to repair their problem. If they had intended to correct this, it would of been long resolved.

Ford products will no longer be in my driveway. I have seen firsthand how poorly Ford respects their customers so I will honor them with the same respect. Ask me about my Ford 2004 Freestar Van!
    Those of you who have had more than one transmission failure on the Freestars have me really worried. As I drive a lot and most of the time alone I do worry if my transmission should fail again and try to think of all the scenarios that I could place myself in. It doesn't keep me from driving but it is always on my mind. As I have stated in previous posts I have written Ford for the 4th time and copied NHTSA as well as The Center for Auto Safety. To date I have not heard from anyone except a lawyer soliciting for a class action suit. I will not give up, however, but will keep the pressure on Ford Motor Co. They owe all of us an explanation plus either a recall or reimbursement. Good luck to you and all the others who have experienced the same.
    My letter to NHTSA was returned today by the post office saying I needed a specific name and room number. I sent it to 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE, West Building, Washington, DC. They blacked out the zip code and bar coding. Does anyone have the name of a specific person and their room number? I would appreciate hearing from anyone with requested info.
    P.S. By the way, I returned today from a trip and listened to a recorded message from Ford Motor Co. (same as several weeks ago) saying if I had any questions just to call them. Oh, by the way they will not reimburse me for the repair. I am not going to waste my time calling customer service again and then receive a stupid, senseless evaluation of the phone call.
  • ftfclubftfclub Member Posts: 14
    The address that we have is.....

Stephen McHenry
    Investigator USDot
    NVS-213 Room W48-308
    Office of Defects Investigation
    1200 New Jersey Ave., SE
    Washington, DC 20590-0001
  • ftfclubftfclub Member Posts: 14
    The address that we have is.....

Stephen McHenry
    Investigator USDot
    NVS-213 Room W48-308
    Office of Defects Investigation
    1200 New Jersey Ave., SE
    Washington, DC 20590-0001
    Thank you very much for the info. I will get it back on its way pronto!
  • barrybeck1barrybeck1 Member Posts: 11
    Is there any way as a group a class action lawsiut could be started against Ford. Surely someone here is a lawyer or knows of a good one!
    I feel your pain. My experience with Ford's "Customer Relationship Center" was maddening. It was obvious that they were reading from a script and that, no matter what I said, they would have one of many company sanctioned responses that all, inevitably, would have the same result; THERE IS NOTHING WE WILL DO FOR YOU.

What a bunch of cowards. My family was put in harm's way by their defective product and I had been a Ford customer for 25 years and they could not have cared less.

I guess everything I have ever been taught about building a business and cultivating and keeping customers was wrong. I guess Ford thinks that 25 years of loyalty and the future business they have now lost from me, (I am only 43), and my family which is very large in number, is dispensible.

What a shame. How different it could have been.....
  • jrodimonjrodimon Member Posts: 6
    I got my Van back last week after $2800 to replace my transmission. Now the van misfires, backfires and stutters. I remember it doing this just before the transmission died. The van ran great for 3 days then it got cold and rainy and the vehical is now bucking etc. It has not stalled out but feels wrong and sounds bad. I have spent $4500 in the past in two months with this car. Transmission, Binding Steering, tires(wore out in one year), sensors and vacuum hoses havbe all been changed. I need a real fix before I go broke. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • kkalbfleischkkalbfleisch Member Posts: 6
    More than likely it's water getting into the PCM. Same thing happened to me and they had to reseal it so water would not get in. Make sure you have them open up the PCM to see if there is water inside (probably is).
  • cbark77cbark77 Member Posts: 1
    hey im having the same problem but I cant seem to find any site that can help me locate the PCM or the TSB if you still have the instructions or know how to locate them please contact me it would help alot
  • bobbijobobbijo Member Posts: 9
    Try message #941 in this stream. These are the instructions we used to check ours out. He does a good job taking you step by step. It is actually pretty easy to get in there & check it out. Someone also posted a link to some pictures of a water damaged PCM which I found interesting--that link was also in this stream somewhere but maybe it would be quicker to just use your browser to search for pictures--I have learned a lot about my van that way! But you will be able to tell if there is moisture in there or not--even if water doesn't pour out, carefully take the PCM out of the cavity & stick your hand inside. The 'ceiling' of my cavity has a fabric-like liner that would feel damp. My mechanic said even a little moisture is bad so even if you don't get a waterfall you may still have water gremlins. Good Luck! At least this fix isn't as expensive as the torque converter/transmission!!
    Today I received my second written response from Ford Motor Co. While they thanked me for keeping them apprised of my situation they have provided me with a final resolution (nothing) and therefore this response will be their last written communication on the matter. What a way to treat a loyal Ford customer.

I would ask EVERYONE that has had a problem please, please write to Ford Motor Company more than once if you have to. Let's inundate them just as we inundated the Congress phone lines this week. Customer service sends out form letters and when they call you can tell they are reading from a script.

In the next few weeks let's start bringing this to the public's eye as I am sure there are many Freestar (and other models) problems that have not been reported and would certainly make other Ford owners aware of the problems.

REMEMBER THE SQUEAKIEST WHEEL GETS THE OIL - LET'S ALL SQUEAK!!!!
    Thank you.
  • lsagolsago Member Posts: 1
    Have had van since Sep 2005., now with 109,000. No problems till lately.
    Same problems everyone else relates. Loss of power with no warning. No reverse.
    Will jump, buck, and chirp like a bird. In to dealer several times. Have had sensors, PCM , etc replaced. They "dry out" PCM, fabricate a shield, and say I am good to go. Still back to them as we speak. A very scary and unsafe situation. I am in fear of my and family safety to drive it from the dealership. Svc mgr advises he was unaware of any such problems. I directed him to the internet to learn more. Ford produced the Freestar from 2004-2007 model years. I see no complaints for 2006-2007 models. Seems maybe Ford fixed the problem. Trying to figure what to do now. Know of anyone who may have installed a 2006-2007 in an
    earlier year model ? Would it work ? Picking mine up again this p.m. Will advise all of outcome.
  • drhmthdrhmth Member Posts: 6
    Please, please be sure that you are reporting your problem to the NHSTA. There has been an ongoing investigation since last fall but they need to hear directly from all those affected, one by one. If any of you believe that Ford/Mercury is going to step up to the plate on this, I'm sorry to say you are wasting your time. Please go to the NHSTA web site and they have a place where you can air your grievance.
    I have written NHTSA and the Center for Auto Safety. However, I am continuing to write Ford regardless. I have not heard from either of the above.
  • tervmomtervmom Member Posts: 12
    Transmissions problems are in all years of the Freestar. The 2006 & 2007's just don't have as much time on the road. My 2006's transmission went out at 47,000 in March 2009. NHTSA investigator told me (after I sent him a letter making sure he was including 2006's in the investigation) that the investigation is open to later years, too.
  • coneflower1coneflower1 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for updating everyone. We have a 2006 that has failed twice! I did worry that we would not be included. I don't have a lot of hope that Ford will do the right thing. HOWEVER, unfortunately, it's not if but actually WHEN someone(s) die or are seriously injured, I want there to be as much evidence of this as possible.