Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• iferifer Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone have the part number for the PCM? I've been looking to order online but need the part number to be sure I order the correct one. I DO NOT want to call the local dealship to help and they do not have a good reputation here. :(
  • jgenovesejgenovese Member Posts: 220
    Unfortunately, this has been Ford's response from the beginning and I have been at this since November, 2007 when our transmission went at 45K miles on our 2004 Freestar, leaving my wife and kids stranded in the middle of an intersection during rush hour traffic. They could have been killed. Ford does not care about its customers, end of story. I had been a loyal Ford customer for 25 years. The only chance we have to get anything done is either through legal pressure, public scrutiny, private sector organizations like the Center for Auto Safety or a combination of all three. NHTSA has pretty much been proven to be a lapdog for the industry rather a watchdog although, they are conducting an investigation. Given the backdrop of the Toyota debacle, I actually think we might have a chance that NHTSA will hold Ford accountable. Imagine if they give Ford a pass and the issue comes to light on a national scale when, inevitably, somebody gets killed as a result of this defect. (I wouldn't be at all surprised if this has already happened and has either been covered up or not properly attributed to this defect.)

In the meantime, keep up the pressure. Contact all of your representatives at all levels of government, your local media outlets, your local attorney general, etc.,.
    Most importantly, tell everyone you know that drives a Freestar to beware of the danger. You just might save their life.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • drea3005drea3005 Member Posts: 9
    Thank you all for posting. It is from this website that I found out that I am not alone. I was travelling 45mph on the highway when my van dropped to 20mph and
    would not accelerate. I immediately put on my hazzard lights so that I would not
    get rear ended and pulled right into a driveway. At that point it would not move anymore. I had to have it towed home (which was 30 miles away). I had it taken to a shop that belongs to a friend. He checked the PCM and it showed no signs
    of being damp. He could not figure it out. So I had it towed to the local Ford dealer. By the end of the day -I was told it was the transmission. We have had transmissions go out before on other vehicles and we had warnings -so we were able to be ready. We had no signs of a transmission going out with this vehicle. Nothing!! I just thank God that we were not hurt. By the way a new transmission will cost me $3100 -due by Friday/April 2nd. I have e-mailed Ford, NHTSA, and CBS-Investigator Dept. I will send out a letter today to Mr. McHenry. All in an effort to avoid a death. I hope someone will listen.
  • linnetteglinnetteg Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 Freestar, last year it stranded me. I had it towed to Ford garage, the linkage was bound up. Then it would not go into reverse. The transmission was full of water and was rusty. They blamed it on road conditions, my insurance paid to have it repaired. Two days ago I took it in because the tranny was slipping. The brain was full of water. Get this, it has been out of warranty for some time now, but they are telling me that it is still under warranty and they fixed it for free. I know they lied to me. What is causing the tranny and the brain to get full of water? I have not driven through flood water at all, I live in Tillamook Oregon. I am thinking this van should have been recalled. Can anyone email me with phone numbers to call and complain? linnettegallagher1@embarqmail.com Thanks, I dont know when I can check back on this forum. Linnette Gallagher
  • singlemomstucksinglemomstuck Member Posts: 3
    Go to the website of nhtsa.gov or nhtsa.org and also car safety. I JUST got my frestar back today, THREE weeks in the garage because of the way it needs to be taken off the frame and this removed and that removed and then put all back together. BLAH BLAH BLAH. The mehcanic was great, but FORD WAS NOT. Also control arms had to be relplaced. Please know also that I put in a heavier duty gear that usually BREAKS because it was CHEAPLY made. (Emphasis is if FORD happens to read these posts.) IF you take it to a tranny shop or a dealer shop beware --they WILL likely schiester (spelling?) you. Don't give up. Also, on both the websites say YES to class action suit and SAVE ALL your receipts from ANY and ALL work & repairs done to your car, just in case. I hope the best for you.
    Make sure you get your seals checked.
  • ivalerio31ivalerio31 Member Posts: 2
    The same is happening with my 2005 Ford Freestar, bought it 7 months ago with 38,000 miles and thought I was getting a great deal...its was driving normally and then would not move....No lights or Warning at all!!! I am willing at this point just to pay and fix it...BUT...has anyone fixed it and then been good for a good number of years?? I mean, I don't want to spend $1,000 - $3,000 and then still have the same problem, but my wife needs this car to get around with the kids and I can't afford to go get another car right now.
  • anabelanabel Member Posts: 21
    Just wanted to tell you about our experience. I am also a mother of 3 little ones and this vehicle was very necessary for my getting around with them safely. We broke down the first time February of 2009, and then 5 months later on July 4th broke down again with the same problem. Our transmission was defective and there was no resolution to making it where it would not break down again. AAmco could not promise me anything. So we had to get rid of it. My husband lost his job in June of that same year during those break downs and just got back to work 3 weeks ago, so I understand the being able to afford getting a new vehicle. But because we have been just waiting for the next breakdown, and we couldn't trust it going anywhere anymore, the worry just wasn't worth it. We had to down grade to something we new would not breakdown like that. Good luck and hopefully you can make the right decision for your family. We simply couldn't wait for justice to be done with Ford. Our families safety depended on us moving on.
  • sjtdadsjtdad Member Posts: 11
    We bought our '05 Freestar in January '06 with only 4700 miles on it and got an unbelievable deal. Last December, with 52,000 miles on it, it just wouldn't move one day after we came out of church. No warning, nothing. We finally got it to budge in a lower gear enough to get it 3 miles to our Ford dealer. They had always treated us well doing warranty work even though we hadn't bought the van there. It cost about $3400 for a rebuilt Ford transmission unit that carries a 100,000 mile warranty. I figured it would be better to just replace the thing than repair it and take a chance. We've put 5,000 miles on it in 3+ months and it is doing fine so far. We were like you--we desperately needed this van for 3 kids and couldn't afford another van or SUV--and we knew the Freestar had no trade-in value as it sat, so we had to bite the bullet and fix it. Maybe after we get some of our investment back we'll look at selling/trading it, but so far it's doing fine. Otherwise, I still like this van a lot. Good size, drives great, good engine. I've driven Fords for 30+ years and this is the first failure I've had, so I can't get too upset I figure.
  • steph_mcsteph_mc Member Posts: 1
    I want this taken care of..... I am udderly pissed off about this. My 2005 freestar quit on me 2 days ago...quote $1000-$1600, after diagnosis $3000-$3300...... WHAT THE HECK FORD!!!! With all of these complaints seriously you want someone to get killed before anything is done....I am sure that this has caused some accidents. I was on the e-way when mine just quit!!!! I am outraged!!!!! I have owned nothing but fords my whole life, my father worked for them and is retired from there. Come on really I will never by a ford again unless this gets paid for!!!!! 5 years old and 80,000 should not have happened!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • shocked1shocked1 Member Posts: 85
    GOOD LUCK STEPH.... BEEN GOING ON 2 YRS. SINCE MY TRANNY WENT OUT. FORD, NASH, OR OBAMA CARES! HUBBY'S 71, STILL WORKS, ONLY CAR WE'LL HAVE SOON. TIME FOR TRANNY TO QUIT AGAIN.

AGAIN, GOOD LUCK..WE'RE STUCK WITH FORD'S TRASH....UNLIKE TOYOTA...
    Steph,

Welcome to our nightmare. First, thank God no one got hurt when your transmission failed. Second, PLEASE file a complaint with NHTSA and also the Center for Auto Safety via their websites. NHTSA is the goverment agency that is tasked with protecting us, the consumer, from defects such as the defect in the Freestar transmission. They are currently investigating the situation and it is CRUCIAL that they be notified of each and every failure. This will help them see that this is not an isolated or even a contained problem and therefor, requires immediate action on their part such as a recall. I have been fighting this battle for over 2 years now and we are finally getting some results. Please stay engaged in this forum and this issue. Also, contact every elected representative that you can, at every level of goverment, and also your state's Attorney General and make them aware of this issue. Further, contact all of your local media outlets, TV and newspaper, and let them know as well. Finally, tell everyone you know or meet that drives a Freestar to be aware of this problem. You just might save their life.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • kfrw0zkfrw0z Member Posts: 1
    My wife's van (2004 Ford Freestar) has the same problem. She drove it the night before, then got in it the next morning and it wouldn't move. We are trying to find a used one but after seeing all these posts, I don't know what we will do. It only has 67,000 miles so, it should have been good to go for another 67,000 in my opinion. :sick: :sick: :sick:
    We are up to nearly 1200 posts on this forum alone and hundreds of complaints to NHTSA and the Center for Auto Safety yet Ford still refuses to acknowledge that there is a problem, falsely claims that the complaints are focused primarily on the cost of the repairs and not the safety aspect, and blames the customer for somehow causing the failures which, based on what I have learned from an industry expert, are clearly due to a defect.

Maybe when NHTSA is done trying to put Toyota out of business because they are a foreign manufacturer and compete w/ GM which is now owned by US, the taxpayers, they will hold Ford accountable for this debacle.

In the meanwhile, we can only hope that no one is killed as a result of this defect. (It is my personal belief that there has/have already been a fatality/fatalities as a result of this defect however; the incidents either have not been properly attributed to this failure or there has been some sort of deal worked out to protect Ford.)

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • misty10misty10 Member Posts: 23
    Well, my 2004 Freestar torque converter just went AGAIN! We had it replaced at 79,000 miles and now tonight driving my daughter home from college it went again at 130,000miles. We had it towed home and not sure of what to do with it. Ford just can't get away with this. There was no warning....just like before. Why can't something be done about this!
  • nadinebnadineb Member Posts: 190
    edited April 2010
    Nothing will be done because the system is corrupt. Rotten to the core.

I learned that NHTSA does not have the engineers to do the research so they are dependent on the car manufactures to figure out the problem. Then, many of the NHTSA people will work for the vehicle manufactures.

Sorry to say this, but I feel that nobody really cares about the hard working people of this country except to collect their tax money and give it to the CEOs who run this country.

They all need a Scrooge moment!
  • jrodimonjrodimon Member Posts: 6
    I just sent the following email to both

Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe of Maine, I hope one of the two will help us out.

Email below:

I would love to see someone ask Ford questions about the Ford Freestar Transmission Problems. There are hundreds of complaints to the NHTSA and thousands of post at Edmunds.com about transmissions that fail without notice. This is a link to my post on Edmunds http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0fb94a/999#MSG999

I have lauched a formal complaint with the NHTSA and spent thousands on a new transmission that will also fail due to the defect.

I am not sure what else to do but there are thousands of hard working Amercians having to pay money they don't have to fix cars that the manufacturer denies there is a problem with.

I had to take a loan from my retirement account to fix my car.

Thank you
  • gama2gama2 Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Mercury Monterey Trans ( I believe identical to Ford Freestar) went down in highway last week @67K. Without any warning (alarm or light) lost power. I was driving in FL turnpike in heavy traffic with my whole family w/ kids, thank! God, we escaped without any major accident. I was immediately pulled into a roadside without getting rear ended. I tried but didn't able to put to any gear, heard only bird chirping sound from the engine. Contacted my mechanic and he told trans pump may had blown up. After stranded for more than 3 hours, I had it towed to my mechanic almost 73miles and had to pay $300 towing fee out of my pocket. Van is in well maintained condition so decided to replace w/ factory built one for $3100 (w/ 3yr and 100,000 waranty). Mercury dealer quoted $3500-$4000. Ford /Mercury should recall these vehicles to fix this transmission failure problem and not to put Ford customer in extreme danger. I already put a complain in NHTSA website.
    Outstanding. Good work. This is exactly the kind of thing we all need to be doing to keep the momentum going and ratchet up the pressure on Ford and NHTSA.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
    You are correct. The Monteray and the Freestar are one and the same. Thank God no one was hurt or killed. It is nothing short of a miracle. Thank you for posting your complaint with NHTSA. Please also consider the Center for Auto Safety. They are very credible and influential both in the industry and also with NHTSA.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • grube47grube47 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 Monterey that I already had the transmission rebuilt for the problem everyone else here is complaining about. Now today the vehicle started bucking while driving at a constant speed down the road, also feels like shifting is rough. Any ideas is it the transmission again? Thanks for any help.
    Van died on the way home today does not start just cranks over. Ironically I was on the way home from the dealer when it died. They told me there is no way it could be related to the technical service bulletin issued by ford for the PCM, I have had it with this ford dealer (stevens ford medford new york) this is the second van from them because they crashed the first one when the thing didn't even start they did this while towing it into the service bay RETARDS. Any advice on removing and replacing the PCM would be very helpful and does anyone know do I have to replace all the ignition coils wires and plugs as well.
    edited April 2010
    Our van had ongoing issues with the PCM. They could not get the cowl properly aligned. I would advise you to make sure they change all the fittings on the PCM and the vehicle. I believe that there was a solution to this in message 941. Check there.

Good luck because you'll need it!
  • dick45dick45 Member Posts: 1
    My mother's 2004 Freestar lost it's transmission unexpectedly last week in rural Kentucky. The van was in otherwise excellent shape. She and my father are elderly and not in the best of health and rely heavily upon their safety. Please help us take this to Ford and demand a recall!
    Good Luck with a FORD RECALL. It's going on 2 years now since I came in here and notified SAFETY whatever. No one's going to help us with FORD'S CRAP!!! Look at Toyota..... least they came to their customers....unlike FORD....HIDES!!!!!!!!! :mad :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :
    Pete Seeger's once sang," This land is your land, this land is mind land." He also said that there is no hope, but maybe I'm wrong.

When I see what is going on with Toyota and the fines they will be paying, I am in disbelief that Ford can put so many families in jeopardy not alone ripping them off.

If Congress can freely spend all our tax dollars, why not Ford, too.
  • mls5502mls5502 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I am the newest victim of the 2004 Ford Freestar transmission problems. I was just turning a corner and all of a sudden I had no power and the engine would just reve. I did email a complaint to NHTSA about this so hopefully we might get a recall. Just wanted to let everyone know that I got my van fixed at Glen Burnie Transmission and they told me that in the past 18 months they had fixed over 300 Ford Freestar's with the same problem. They also said that if the owners did not take their vans to a transmission center that they were probably being told that they needed a new transmission when in fact the only thing that really needed to be replaced is the torque converter. I am going to be sending an email to ford about this because there is no way that over 300 people in an 18 month period has had this happen and it is not fords fault. I will keep everyone posted if I find out any further information. :)
    Sorry to hear that. We have a 2004 too and just replaced our torque converter for the SECOND time just last week. I did hear today that they put a recall on Fords new car seat recliner problem though...lol. I plan on writing to them AGAIN! This is putting such a financial burden on us. There must be someone who can help us out there.
  • singlemomstucksinglemomstuck Member Posts: 3
    I am sorry to hear your story also. My problem was also the torque converter. My mechanic said that FORD put in a CHEAP part, when u go to THEIR dealer/mechanics, they DON'T fix the problem, but KEEP U COMING BACK, hey why not, it's MONEY in THEIR pockets. Who cares about the customer. NHTSA or carsafety IS opening an investigation. KEEP your receipts and ALL records of your vehicle problem history. So when FORD does have to pay, U have proof of your problem history. Also, my mechanic said that this is and has been an ongoing problem with FORD & the freestars. KEEP complaining, KEEP records and receipts and DON'T give IN to big company ford.
    Just hear the news today that Ford made 2 BILLION in profits. Any wonder?
  • montreal6montreal6 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    Our Freestar has 55,000 miles. Just had ball joints repaired $1000 and now, 2 weeks later, transmission replaced for $2400. Mechanic says the pump within the transmission seized up. We bought the car used but warranty supposedly covers up to 5 years/62K miles for transmission, even for second owner, so we'll see whether we get lucky. First and last American vehicle I'll ever buy.
    Just got vehicle back after having to replace the PCM 300 for part would have been 500 from ford and 640 for labor for them to install, and now I get a 1336 code for the crankshaft sensor unable to learn guess they figured they wouldnt take the vehicle through the learn procedure when they had it there. I HATE FORD NEVER AGAIN!! they better do something for me today I am pissed. Not to mention the ambulance we send back to them almost weekly that they cant seem to fix. :lemon:
  • christ3347christ3347 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Ford Freestar it has 78,000 miles on it I bought it from a used car lot and on my way to pick my kids up from school as I was stopped at the stop sign, there was no problems, than as I was driving through the four way stop sign it quit on me, You could hear the engine but it was not getting any type of speed to shift it never shifted I was very lucky to make it through the stop sign it happen to be the busiest time of the day and everyone was getting their children from school. I am a low income family and can not afford to fix a problem like this so now I have been without a way of going and will be out of one for a while, yes I do work and support my family and now I have a very nice neighbor that takes my kids back and forth to school. If it wasn't for her my kids would not be at school and I try and some how make it to work when I ride with some of my co-workers. When I discovered that everyone else has had the same problem I felt I understood exactly the problems that everyone else is going through. I did not buy a the van for it to sit in the driveway and make payments on it when it is no use to me it is no longer supporting my family. I understand fully the anger that everyone is feeling. The Ford company should be held accountable. You can not address to everyone that this is a " Good Family" vehicle, a good family vehicle should be dependable and when you state this that is what people want to pay for because we have to carry our family around in some thing that "IS DEPENDABLE."
    Thank God, yet another miracle, that nobody got hurt. Please report your incident to NHTSA via their website and also to the Center for Auto Safety. NHTSA is the federal agency whose job it is to investigate these types of safety defects and the Center for Auto Safety is a private sector watchdog group that is highly repected and credible on auto safety issues. Each report is CRITICAL toward getting these dangerous vehicles recalled before someone gets killed, (if it hasn't happened already and we just don't know about it).

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • anabelanabel Member Posts: 21
    Jim,

Can I ask you if you would know what year models of Freestar and Montereys this is affecting? I am writing up a one page note to put on cars that I see when I am parked someplace. Like Grocery, Bank, Malls, etc, that way they can found out about the issue if they haven't already had problems and if they have, information so they can officially list their problems. What are your thoughts?
  • laurel28laurel28 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Ford Freestar. A couple days ago I noticed that my car seemed to shake when it was idle. Then the check engine light came on. Now whenever I stop and the RPMs go below 1000 my car will shake and then stall unless I keep my foot on the gas while stopped. I went to get the check engine light check and all they came back with was something about an air sensor and said if I change the air filter and put some fuel injector cleaner in that will help. So I did all that, but it seems to have gotten worse because now it rides kinda of rough too. Any ideas what it might be?
  • bonnie30bonnie30 Member Posts: 3
    yes we all need together and call the ford company direct that what i just did this afternoon every since i bought my 2005 ford freestar had nothing but trouble with the engine and the transmission she said if we get alot of people complain they should have a recall on all our vehicles let stick together and callif u no any1else having the same prolblem tell them to call 1-800-392-3673
    hello every1 i just call the ford company this afternoon and told them problem with my 2005 freestar i told them i had nothing but problem with it i told them they need to put a recall on this vehicles befor some1 get hurt or kill please everyone with problems please call 1-800-392-3673 im getting tired having to put my van n the shop every couple of month i have change all the spark plug every 3000 i have the oil change and transmission evry 60000 i have complete update my vechles and maintance when needed but still haveing problem let all get together and start calling thanks every1 let fight back please tell them shirley sent u all there to call
    Bonnie,
    Calling Ford is like spitting into the wind. I have been at it for 2 and 1/2 years trying to get them to do the right thing or be held accountable. You need to report your situation to NHTSA and also to the Center for Auto Safety, both via their websites. These are the organizations that can do the most for us. NHTSA is the goverment agency that is SUPPOSED to be looking out for us and the Center for Auto Safety is a reputable and credible private sector organization that can be very influential in these matters. Also, you could and should contact your local media outlets, print, radio, and television, as well as the Attorney General for your state. Finally, spread the word to EVERYONE you know or meet that drives a Freestar or a Mercury Monteray which is the sister vehicle to the Freestar and is marketed by Mercury.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    I was hoping the 95-98 Windstar and 99-03 Windstar transmission problems had been licked by the time the Freestar came out. I just looked at a nice one, too, 2005 model, 132K on it, $3200 cash. Maybe I should avoid the Ford vans altogether, which is not what I was hoping to do...

I could always take a page from my own vehicle history. I had a 1991 Aerostar in which I replaced every single major mechanical component except for the 3.0L engine. First was a transmission. Then a radiator. Then the battery/starter. Then I tried to fix the fuel mileage problem. I changed the cap/rotor/plugs/wires/O2 sensors/filters/valve cover gaskets, retorqued the rockers, replaced every inch of vacuum hose, swapped ignition modules, and "seafoamed" it with B-12. I did the most complete tuneup I could ever imagine and still could't do over 15-16mpg in highway driving. Then the heater core failed. Then the steering rack began dumping fluid out a crack in the case. Then the driveshaft flew off at city speeds and I had to replace both U-joints to put it back in. Then the exhaust fell off. And I'm in Texas, exhaust doesn't rust here, this broke off from the age of the rubber hangers! Finally when the AC stopped blowing cold up front did I sell the van. The whole time I owned it I had to start it from under the hood with a screwdriver. The ignition switch was replaced twice, it would work for a week or so, then it wouldn't. The subsequent owner installed a big red START button on the dash. And yes, he had to replace the starter again because his kids kept hitting the button. Even his wife said, "what's this, honey?" and hit it while driving down the highway.

I think I spent about $4400 over 18 months on that van PLUS the value of the 270K mile 1995 Century I even traded for it (the dealer's asking price on the van was $1100, so we'll go with that and call it $5500 total). Sold it for a mere $750 after advertising it for six months straight on CL at varying prices as high as $1800 and as low as $900.

I have a feeling buying another Ford minivan would cause the same money pit syndrome as my Aerostar, nicknamed "The Van Of Questionable Mechanical Integrity", gave me back then. Which is sad. I've ridden in some Freestars as taxicabs. They were very comfortable. I drove a 1999 Windstar as a taxi in Dallas in 2002. I loved it! But evidently they don't hold up.

Has anyone been able to go 200K in a Freestar in normal/severe driving without a major transmission failure?
  • kkalbfleischkkalbfleisch Member Posts: 6
    There is a reason why your able to buy a 2005 with 132K for only $3200. The person just wants to get rid of it. The transmission problems with these Freestars is completely unacceptable!! If I were you, I wouldn't buy it.
    far as i no i would run from it it will give u nothing but headachei had my freestar less then 2 years it been n the shop more then my driveway i had everything completely tune up oil change every 3000 keep up with everything i have put more money and this dam vehicle and it still not running right now we going to put 2 new cv shaft to see if it is causing the shaking.. i just talk to my sister-n-law the other day and she just got town and chreler and she said she had nothing wrong with it i was thinking about getting rid of this and getting another model good luck if u consider buying it.. please keep n touch and let me no how it run if u consider buying it
    If you are looking for advise on whether to purchase this van, my advice would be to totally avoid this vehicle. I know that my vehicle would have gotten me or someone in my family killed. Any vehicle that preforms in this matter could be potentially deadly. If you have a family, I would not recommend this vehicle. Think about being rear ended in the vehicle, and the harm that it could do to those you love.

Jim has been attempting to fix a wrong for years because he knows and I believe has seen a number of auto accidents and the damage they leave behind. I personally can not comprehend this outrageous, neglectful, criminal, behavior on the part of Ford Motor Company or NHTSA. Is the fox (Ford Motor Company) watching the automotive henhouse (NHTSA)?
    NO, I will NEVER own another FORD!!!!!!!!!! Simply cause they DON'T STAND BEHIND THEIR JUNK!!!!!! The 2004 FREESTAR VAN is nothing but a death trap And, once you buy one you're stuck with it for life.. NHTSA, POLITICS, NO ONE cares. Or they would force FORD to recall their trash!!!!!!!!!! Ive replaced 1 tranny, and will go out again, & I have the brake's problem also.But, as I said, who cares?
    FORD MOTOR CO. SUKS!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Sorry for the delayed response. To my knowledge, the affected model years are, at least, 2004-2006. This vehicle was marketed as the Windstar prior to 2004 and was last manufactured and sold as a 2007. Additionally, I do beieve that some 2007's are already experiencing the same defect. (Plesae review the previous 1000 or so posts on this forum to verify this, however.

The flyers are an excellent idea. Any way we can get the word out to potential victims of this defect. Keep spreading the word and stay safe!

Jim Genovese
    Anapolis, MD
  • ehwilliehwilli Member Posts: 3
    Hi folks,

Sorry for the long post. I'm a long-time lurker and want to share my story before I unsubscribe from this thread. I've followed this discussion for a long time and prayed on many occasions that my 04 Monterey w/73K miles would not put my family at risk. Then on a 3 hour drive to the beach 2 weeks ago my RPMs shot up, van lost forward momentum and white steam was everywhere. The transmission warning light came on and I just knew we had lost our transmission.

As we sat on the side of the road and discussed our options, we checked the GPS to find the closest exit and mechanic. It was 6 miles away so we decided to start the van and see if we could get it that far. We prayed that we could at least get our children safely off the side of the highway and that God would provide a way for us to continue our vacation.

The van started up fine and there were no warning lights or anything. I put the van into drive, slowly stepped on the accelerator....and we started moving. My wife and I prayed (we are a Christian family) silently for the 6 miles it took to get to the exit. The transmission was slipping just a bit but otherwise everything seemed ok. Rather than stop we thought we'd see if we could get to the next town. Although the tranny clearly had issues and was slipping and jerking now and again we made it another 80 miles to the beach. As we drove we talked about how amazing God is that he can fix transmissions, that there is no way we should be moving down the road!

While at the beach I took the van to an Aamco and the only problem they could find was a blown pan gasket. They did say the new fluid went in very slowly and were not sure why and to keep an eye on it. So we spent $150 on a fluid, filter and gasket change that needed done soon anyway. As we drove the 200 miles back home we stopped a couple times to let the transmission cool. It was a stressful drive but we made it home.

The local transmission shop took the van for a drive with a inflight recorder hooked up and they said the torque converter was not locking up. They also said the fluid going in slowly was due to the transmission running hot and soot clogging up the vent. The estimate for repairs was around $1000 but they weren't sure what they'd find once they were inside. They could not take our van until the following week so we drove home in hopes it would last that long.

We decided that since the van is in running condition we should try to trade it in for the book value minus expected repair costs. We disclosed the transmission issues to the dealer and got offered $5000 for the van, exactly what I had expected. Hard to believe that's all it's worth, but no price can be put on my family's safety. We've prayed with our children giving thanks for how this turned out and that our van will be repaired and not cause trouble for it's future owners.

FYI the new minivan market is small and the options stink. We did not want to buy used because of the prevalent transmission issues with so many vans. The new Sienna has been cheapened and getting less than stellar consumer reviews, the Odyssey is still plagued with tranny issues (and Honda thinks way too much of themselves for me) and the Sedona just wasn't a fit for us. So we are now the owners of 2010 Chrysler Town & Country with a 5yr/100k mile powertrain warranty, and as much as I hate extended warranties I might just buy one...still not sure on that.

Sorry for the long story but I felt led to share how God carried us through this journey. I will continue to pray for Freestar and Monterey owners that your families stay safe in these vehicles and that financially you are able to handle whatever problems may come.

God bless,
    Ted
  • bobbijobobbijo Member Posts: 9
    Prayers got our family to a safe spot in our 2004 Freestar 3 times during a long trip. We were going through some windy, isolated, and unfamiliar areas & had little choice but to pray hard & keep going. (& I should add that each of the 3 unplanned pull overs were in beautiful places that we would have never otherwise noticed & our 3 little boys never even realized anything was wrong--they just thought that Mommy & Daddy were making some cool extra stops!) This trip was before I found out about the PCM issue & we couldn't figure out the problem since the warning lights were not consistent & went away after we took a break. Our torque convertors final breath was in the safest place possible--our driveway. I know that God keeps a hand on so many tiny things that we never even realize & I am glad to know that He kept your family safe too. Now I pray that our rebuilt torque convertor will get us through until the loan is paid for & that Ford & the government work this out before it is too late! I have tried to focus on the blessings that have come out of this mess & not the anger that I have towards the irresponsibility on Ford's part!
  • mel9i6mel9i6 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    While I was driving on the freeway, my freestar all of a sudden lost power and I pulled off to the side and was able to get the power back and get to my destination. Called a lot of places who are insisting on rebuilding the transmission tho I just want them to replace the torque converter. I was coming from out of town, so I ended up taking another vehicle back home, leaving my Ford at my parents... trying to figure out what to do... I had 3 kids in the van and after reading all this stuff that happened to many others, I am infuriated!! the lowest price to fix my van is about 2500! I am filing a complaint as soon as I find out exactly if its the torque or the transmission, but since I am able to drive it after shutting it off, it's obviously not the transmission, in the morning it goes about 10 miles, after that it doesn't go more than 2 feet.
    Mel
  • sunburnsunburn Member Posts: 319
    If the torque converter goes, it won't come back. When it loses power, does it act like the transmission is in neutral (you can rev the engine, but it won't move) or some other symptom? Given your description, it could be transmission related, it might also be related to water in the PCM. That can cause intermittent powertrain problems.
  • fordfan12fordfan12 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Freestar Limited with 74,000 miles and 2 weeks ago it suddenly stopped moving while driving with the engine reving. The van would not move and when put into gear nothing happened. I had the van looked at by a private mechanic who advised it was not the transmission that had failed. The mechanic advised that the torque converter design on the Ford Freestar is flawed causing the spines inside to eventually strip out. The mechanic replaced the torque converter and changed the transmission fluid and filter with a total cost of $560.00. The torque converter was a remanufactured unit that my mechanic said had an improved design better than a unit direct from Ford. With the old torque converter out of my van the mechanic showed me inside of it and I clearly saw the stripped out spines that connected to the oil pump shaft. Before replacing the entire transmission it might be a good idea to check on the possibility of a torque converter failure. My van shifts and operates like new.
    Hi...Ours is a 2004 too and our torque converter went out at 79,000. It lasted for almost 50,000 then went out again. In fact we just replaced it again just about three wks ago. Good Luck!