Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

lloydcynlloydcyn Member Posts: 1
has anyone had any problems with transmission on 2004 Freestar? we have 80,000 miles on ours and the tranmission is gone. Ford does not cover it - we even bought the 75,000 additional warranty - got screwed on that one

Comments

• robertberrobertber Member Posts: 2
    To lloydcyn. Testerday I was accelerating onto a highway and all of a sudden my 2004 Freestar started to buck and shake like the transmission was slipping. I stopped and checked fluids and all were ok. I started down the road and it was rough and the tachometer was jumping all over the place. To make this story short I got it to the dealer and they said it was two blown fuses related to the powerpoint...cigarette lighter which had confused the computer!! I picked it up today and it is runing alright, but this sure sounds like a slipping transmission to me.
  • robertberrobertber Member Posts: 2
    This is an interesting comment. I had a little problem with my Freestar yeaterday that I truly believed was a transmission issue but the dealer said not. (See my post on this site #799). I have the extended warranty coverage to 80,000 miles, are you saying that Ford will not cover me if there is a transmission problem?
  • ham2ham2 Member Posts: 4
    I have the same problem with my 2005 Freestar. they put it in on Monday, got it back on Tuesday. Got it towed back to the dealer on Wednesday. It has the check engine and the transaxle light on. they replaced a computer chip the first time. I have a rental over easter weekend and maybe longer. The van only has 48,000kms on it. :sick:
  • kkabbykkabby Member Posts: 1
    Ours went out at 40,854 miles (on an out-of-state trip). They want $3000 to replace! AHHHHHHH!
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    lloydcn warranty only covered to 75,000 miles so he/she is out of warranty. You should be fine to 80,000 miles.
  • ljacomeljacome Member Posts: 8
    2004 Freestar 42,000 miles transmission is shot. My waranty was 3 year 30,000 miles. How can the consumer get screwed like this?
  • bri66bri66 Member Posts: 220
    When I bought my wife's van in 2004 Ford was offering a free 100,000 mile powertrain warranty as an insentive. Are you sure you don't have this powertrain coverage? I believe this was to all it's Freestar models and I remember it was listed by all the Ford dealer ads in my area and for quite a long time window.
    Here is the update. 42,700 miles Planitary shot to pieces blasting metal particals into the system. Overdrive shot causing no gear switch. Dealer can not get van over 10 miles per hour in first gear. I am not covered. Ford customer service called dealer and got them to waive the 150. towing fee and the 128. diagnostic fee. Bottom line. 3,500. for a remanufactured trans. FYI difference between remanufacture (Everything is back Ford Specifications) means screwed again. Rebuilt (just the broken pieces are fixed). Today when I go home I had a letter from the original dealership where I got the van. Here is the quote from the letter. (anybody wants a copy I will fax.) " We need acquire several pre-owned 2004 Ford Freestars by Monday in order fulfill special used vehicle requests. Our records indicate you own one of these vehicles and our new car managers have been authorized to buy back your current vehicle."

The only piece that looks like a mail merge is the dealers name.
    Sorry to hear about your Freestar. Since you ahve nothing to lose, I would keep pushing to get Ford to at least split the cost. If not, call your local tranny shop and see what they charge. It will definitely be less. You already know how long a Ford spec transmission will last in you Freestar. so you ahve nothing to lose by going to an independent shop.
  • revjohnrevjohn Member Posts: 3
    I saw your posting and wanted to ask a question. My '04 Freestar (bought used from dealership) recently started emitting a high pitched whine when driving (not all the time, but a lot). I took it to the dealership and they said it was the Planateriu gears in the transmission and that this sometimes happened. I haven't noticed any performance issues, but after seeing your posting became concerned that my transmission is going to explode!!! Any advice? By the way, this started happening about a month after the vehicle went out of warranty.
    My planateriu broke into pieces sending metal throughout the transmission and oil. I would get a second opinion to see if it needs to be replaced. It cost 3,600. final bill. Then when I went, they had not even fixed the front Hub and rotar recall that they said they would so I had to leave the van again.
  • lesmarklesmark Member Posts: 2
    My 2004 Freestar has 45,000. miles on it and the transmission completely went out...Ford does not cover it. My mechanic said same thing happened to his moms with 75,000 miles on it. The service mgr at our local ford says he's seen this several times before. Obviously a big problem but is Ford doing anything to fix the problem?.
    I sent a letter into ford requesting reimbursement for the new transmission. Robin of Corp Headquarters called me back and in her terms, " In the presence of customer satisfaction, we would like to pay for 25%" I said 25% this does not make me happy. out of 3500. on a car that has less then 45,000 miles on it and is less then two years old you want to give me 825. dollars? She said yes. I asked for it writing, she said it would not be a good idea for Ford to put it in writing. I told her I needed to discuss it with my husband. My husband called and she stated that withdraw the offer because we would not be completely satisfied. Never heard from them again. Anyone who has or had a transmission go under 50K like this, please email me at [email protected]. I will be contacting 7 on your side or channel 2's shame on you.
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    Not to defend Ford, but if I was offered $825 Towards the repair, I'd take it. With their very short 3/36,000 warranty, they are not obligated to give you anything. They don't care if you never buy another minivan from them because their sales are so low that they are discontinuing them. You have to make it your mission to tell everyone you know, never to buy a Ford product. Maybe park yours in front of the dealership with big lemon/explanation signs. If you had a 2004 Chrysler/Dodge minivan the repair would be covered as they USED to have a 7/70,000 powertrain warranty. Starting in 2006, they also are only offering the same short 3/36,000 warranty. That really irks me, I could buy a used 2004 or 2005 and have a better powertrain warranty than if I purchased a brand new van :mad:
    I did not say that I would not accept it. What I said was that it made me very unhappy to have to replace the transmission at 43,000 miles for 3,500.00 and all they wanted to offer was $825.00 what kind of customer satisfaction is that? The dealer stated it was due to an Interal fault in the engine. I advised her that my husband would call her and when he did the next day, the offer no longer stood.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd be more than unhappy, and then to top it off, they withdraw the offer because: what's the matter? you're not happy? I'm sure you will NEVER purchase another Ford product. I also find it highly unlikely that an "internal fault of the engine" caused your transmission failure, but rather a weak or poorly designed transmission for this application.
    The Ford dealer invoice states that it was an internal fault in the engine. The planitairy (not sure how it is spelled) broke off and the metal peices broke off and flowed throught the engine. :( :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    Sounds like a crock of $#!+ to me. The planetary (gear) is part of the transmission, if that disintegrated, how would that be a fault of the engine, and how would the pieces flow thru the engine? Surely, the engine must also be damaged if pieces of a large gear are floating around inside.
  • gerry28144gerry28144 Member Posts: 2
    What do we do if our transmission goes?

Here is my sad story.....

3/2005 bought used 2004 Ford Freestar SES in NYS. Had 24,000 on it. 6/2006 tranmission dies, 55,000. miles on it in NC. Take it to local AAMACO, find out that transmission has already been replaced. AAMACO knows that it has been replaced because the serial # on the transmission starts with FQR = Ford Quality Reman.

The repair isnt on the records by my VIN #.

What should my step be? I already called the dealer that I bought it from , and he has no information.

Any help greatly appreciated.
    Did you buy this vehicle from a Ford dealership? If so, they should be able to track the serial number for you. Also, I thought Ford "certified" their used cars and carry a longer powertrain warranty (up to 60,000 miles).

If this was not a ford dealership that sold you the vehicle, you are probably out of luck.
  • gerry28144gerry28144 Member Posts: 2
    The dealership that I bought this from says that they didnt know that it had been replaced. They said there is no record of the repair, so how do I acutally know that it is a replaced transmission. The only warrenty that I got with the vehicle was up to 36,000 miles.

I bought this from a dealership that has many different brands of vehicles. they got the vehicle from their sister store, which was Basil Ford....

TIA
    I'm assuming the dealership was not an authorized FORD dealership since you were only given the original warranty (up to 36,000 miles).

If AAMCO is saying it is a refurbised tranny, get the serial number from them. give customer service a call and explain the situation to them. I'm finding it hard to believe that if this is in fact a refurbished unit, it is not documented somewhere either by the work order, VIN # or part number. there has to be some paper trail to track the part.

I don't think you have any recourse on the tranny repair but something isn't right. If it were me, I would want to know why I have a refurbished tranny in my vehicle and it is not documented esp. since I bought it from a dealer. Too bad ANT14 doesn't frequent this board much. he may be able to give you more suggestion.
  • charmin67charmin67 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2004 ford freestar also. Just recently I have had the flashing light....with no problems due to the transmission, fuild everything check out fine. It has 53,000 miles on it. 3 weeks ago the van started going only 10 mph. We parked it and then brought it a ford dealership to be told that the transmission was burnt up and ran without fuild. Which was not true. We have always bought ford products and been satiafied until now. The treatment that we received as a ford owner alone was no acceptable. I am amazed at your story and the others I have found. Please let me know if you get any satisfaction with ford. thanks
  • crazyjojocrazyjojo Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2004 Monterey with 22k miles on 09/11/2006.In the 3 weeks I have owned the car I have had to take it in 5 times for various issues. The 3 more important being replacement of the ABS Module and power switch, replacement of the HVAC case assembly and more importantly a blown out transmission. They have told me they replaced the torque converter and a shaft in the transmission.

Because I have only had the car for a short period of time and I complained enough, the dealer has offered to take the car back for the full purchase price if I buy another car from them. My question is what has been the experience of those who had the transmission repaired? Should I take the deal or does the car run well once repaired? The car is still at the dealer. Thanks
    Based on the limited activity on this board, i would take the dealer's offer and buy another car. The recent posts on 2 year old Freestars have not been good. Quite honestly if the new tranny went at 22k miles, the rebuilt tranny will probably fail in a similar time frame and mileage.
  • crazyjojocrazyjojo Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the input.
  • maxsaxmaxsax Member Posts: 1
    I owned a 2000 ford windstar transmission failed at 50 thousand miles.I traded it in for a new 2004 ford freestar.Transmission failed at 40 thousand miles.It is at a ford dealer waiting to see if the extended service contract by ford will pay for repairs.Does anyone know what the failure rate is on these transmissions.
    I'm not sure anyone can give you a failure rate but it seems like the trannies on certain Ford brands (Explorer, Escape, freestar) are having problems. By extended service contract, do you mean extended warranty?
  • mike177mike177 Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Freestar had the transmission go today at 41,000 miles. How was your problem resolved?
  • hdparkerhdparker Member Posts: 2
    Hey there.

Well, same story, different badge. 2004 Mercury Monterey. Transmission failure at 47XXX going up a hill on a three lane hiway in the rain. We didn't have the extended warranty, so it is going to cost big bucks.

After reading all the posts, we may have to get rid of it before it happens again.
  • housedoctorhousedoctor Member Posts: 1
    I have been searching several posts trying to find answers to my problem. We own an 05 freestar with just 60K miles. Thursday the tranny just croaked without any advance warning. No x-tended warranty, so going to be very expensive. Did have brake problems about 4 months after purchasing, but it seemed to be resolved. If I had researched before purchasing we might have kept our old caravan a little longer. Seems that Fords fix or repair daily is very true when it comes to the Freestar.
  • 5thaveman5thaveman Member Posts: 10
    I JUST HAD PROBLEMS WITH MY TRANNY.I WAS DRIVING AND THE VAN DID NOT RESPOND TO ACCELERATION. I HAD IT TOWED TO A FORD DEALER AND THEY TOLD ME THAT A CONVERTER WAS BAD. THAT PRICE WAS $1600. HE ALSO INFORMED ME THAT IF I GET THAT FIXED AND THE TRANNY GOES OUT IT WOULD BE $3200; SO I GOT THE WHOLE TRANNY REPLACED. MY WARRANTY EXPIRED AT 75K. SO I WAS HOT. I HAVE 79K ON THE VAN
    DO YOU KNOW OF AN GOOD WARRANTY COMPANY THAT IS GOOD FOR FORD FREESTARS? i'VE BEEN CALLING AROUND AND HAVE NOT FOUND ANY GOOD ONE'S ON THE INTERNET. HAS ANYBODY HAD PROBLEMS WITH THEIR POWER STEERING PUMPS ON THE FREESTAR? I HAVE TO ADD FLUID EVERYDAY INTO THE RESERVIOR TO KEEP IT FROM MAKING THAT LOUD WHINNING NOISE WHEN YOU TURN THE WHEEL. I'M STUCK WITH THIS VAN DUE TO MY LOAN.
    You will be hard pressed to find a compnay that will sell you a warranty on a vehicle with 79k miles on it.

YOu probably should get your power steering looked at. If you are adding fluid, something is wrong.
    From what I've seen; there are alot of companies out there that will give me a warranty.
    What kind of warranty did you get on your $3200 ( :lemon: ) transmission? I would be very leary of third party warranty companies that would offer one on a Freefall with 79,000 miles. How much longer do you plan on keeping it :confuse:
    I got a 3/36K warranty on it....I owe more on it than what it's worth.
    What company and how much was the warranty?
    I think he got a 3/36000 warranty from Ford when purchasing the $3,200 replacement transmission. Chrysler/Dodge also warranties their replacement transmissions for the same time period, but they don't cost $3,200.
    I missed your post when you asked him about the warranty on the tranny. the problem is the second transmission will probably go as well. Hopefully it is after he has paid off the loan and can unload it.
  • jtdracejtdrace Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Same story too! 2004 Mercury Monterey. Tranny failure on 2/9/07 going down hill at 20 mph. No forward or reverse and no warning signs. We bought van new and have 43k miles and are out of warranty. Towed to Northern Ohio dealer where we purchased vehicle. Ford needs to step-up or I am buying another brand. I'll keep you posted.

Jim
    In a way they have stepped up. They have admitted total defeat in the minivan market, and no longer build the Monterey, and Freestar production will cease soon, early 2007. That being said, I am enjoying my company issued 2007 Freestar 4.2 cargo van. While I can see why nobody buys these vehicles, it's a great improvement, comfort-wise over the 2005 Asstro I was driving. Only 2,200 miles so far so I can't really give it a dependability reveiw yet.
  • jtdracejtdrace Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    Update.....I called my salesman (good friend) and told him to keep me posted regarding my Monterey transmission repair. First of all since we are good customers and have been buying cars from them for 15 yrs. he was able to get me a rental car for no charge. He also requested a certain mechanic to work on our van. The mechanic discovered the splines in the tourgue converter have failed and that he was going to replace the input shaft and inspect the entire tranny. Service called and said the repair would be 2,500.....but that they would work worth me. I pick the van up on 2-20 so we'll see.

Jim
  • sandireesandiree Member Posts: 1
    I too have a 2004 Ford Freestar, my transmission just went out at 44k miles. Had an old friend (certified mechanic) look it over and he said the tranny was gone because of internal problems. Called Ford and they said I had to take it to Ford Dealership for diagnostic before they could investigate. Got call yesterday from dealership and its an internal problem (only cost me $120.00 for this brilliance). Havent made the second call to ford yet...trying to do some investigating on how everyone else was dealing with the same problem. How did you handle it?
  • eleanor3eleanor3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Ford Freestar with 53,000 and had trouble with my engine shutting off while driving. When I restart the car I have trouble in Drive moving like the transmission isn't engaging and reverse doesn't work. The check engine light would stay on. I would drive a short distance if I could and the engine would shut off again.
    The first place I took it replaced the camshaft sensor and it ran fine for two weeks. Then I had to take it to another station. The service person had a quieried look on his face as I told him my story.
    after he looked at it he told me I had to take it to Ford to get fixed. Seems water gets in the computer and the car shuts off. He felt that may be it and it was. Ford resealed the computer yesterday and said it was working. The processor had been wet and dried and they didn't think they needed to replace it at this time.(If it happened to shut off again they would need to replace the processor) I had until 80,000 miles to do that or 5 years under an original warranty so they wanted to wait and see!
    Next day out of the repair shop I ran a few errands and the car shut off again and again!!! I had to have the car towed again to the dealer. They will probably change the processor but it will take a week to get!! I'm going to ask for a loaner tomorrow since it is under warranty. Seems to me Ford blew it bigtime with this model! :lemon:
  • ecarrollecarroll Member Posts: 1
    What is up with these vans? I bought my 2005 Freestar from a dealer. Only 28000 miles. It now has 43000 miles, and without warning left me stranded on the side of the interstate yesterday. I had it towed and lo and behold!! It's the torque converter and possibly something else, they will know when they tear it apart. If Ford is aware that an internal problem is causing these transmissions to fail, why aren't they doing a recall? Well, stupid question, I know why. But I gotta tell you this aggravates me to no end. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm stuck with this van because of the loan, but from what I've read, I've got a lemon....any recourse? :lemon: :lemon:
  • ronanddeb1527ronanddeb1527 Member Posts: 8
    I have 85k miles and my transmission is gone in my 2004 ford Freestar sel.I think Ford needs to do a recall on all 2004 Ford Freestar due to a transmission because of so many customer complaints listed.The trans axal light comes on and off and the car does not want to start going after it has stopped at a light or anytime the car is stopped
  • ronanddeb1527ronanddeb1527 Member Posts: 8
    I purchased a 2004 Ford Freestar SEL on 7-17-04 for my wife because I felt it was the best most realiable vehicle for the money. How wrong I was! I also, as do many other previous Loyal Ford customers, have now experienced "Serious Transmission Problems". I am retired living on a modest income and my wife is on disability. We do not have the $3,000 or $4,000 to repair the vehicle that apparently Ford Motor Co. cannot or will not acknowledge they manufactured a vehicle with poor quality. They did not issue a "Recall" because they probably knew the total loss they would have due to their incompetent product. I as well as many others suffering these problems will "Never" Purchase or own another Ford Product!. In addition to the shoddy quality of the Tranmission on this vehicle, we experienced another problem that Ford would not honor as well. The day I purchased this van my wife & I took a trip to the Ga. Mtns. and on the way home had extreme shimmy in the front end. I took this to the dlr. would advised both front rotars were "Warped", we had 400 miles on the van? Instead of replacing them the dlr. said Ford would only pay for turrning the Rotars which of coursed lessened the life of my breaks. It is my intention to go Nationally with this to expose Ford for what they really are by giving our Local Talk How Host, Clark Howard the entire details from consumers response via emails such as this,and I ask that every person having these problems do the same in their local area. In addition I intend to write to the FMC Customer Relation Center in Michigan as well as the Michigan Better Business Bureau. Again I ask any consumer do the same thing to let Ford know we will not put up with Corporate America. No one is so big they cannot be held accountable, remember Crystler Corp.
  • susanhaisusanhai Member Posts: 9
    Our transmission on our 04 went out at 59000 mi. We too had problems with the brakes... took the van to my regular mechanic and he said the rotors were warped and he says that the metal used (can't remember the exact terminology used) is so thin that the rotors can't be turned. They must be replaced when we do have a brake job. He said that the replacement rotors do not have the same problem. I have seen other people say that their dealers have turned the rotors on their van and that the problem remained... I suspect that the dealers don't actually do anything to the brakes! I would trust my regular mechanic with my life and in the 20 somethings years that he has worked on my cars he has had plenty of opportunities to take advantage of us and has never... I believe what he says about the rotors.
  • mnfreestarmnfreestar Member Posts: 4
    I bought my Ford Freestar in 04' Transmission failed at 62,000 miles while driving to work. There were no “funny” noises, "funny" shifting or warning lights. The van just "popped" into neutral and started rolling backwards. I was lucky I did not hit anybody. I called Ford Customer Service and filed a complaint with them and was basically told parts sometimes fail. I ? why the Ford's replacement part has twice as long of a warrenty as the original. I had to also replace the rear brake rotors like many other people. This van was the worst investment that I have ever made and Ford does not live up to any quality standards in my opinion. I will never buy a Ford again.