Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• camelknees33camelknees33 Member Posts: 9
    How many times have I posted here in the past four months? OMG. I can't believe this. I just got my van back Tuesday after the seal around the computer was replaced. NOW, today, what 3 days later, I am driving home (after 5pm and the shop is closed for the weekend) when my transaxle and engine light go off. I was going home, but thought, "No, I will drop it off at the shop." I made it there, barely, and dropped my keys off in the drop-off box, and walked home. My insurance company has already paid for four tows--I saved them another $75!!! If they cannot get it fixed, I am going to park it and ride the bus everywhere. I am sick, sick, sick, siiiiiiiick of my FORD FREESTAR F-UP!!!! Ford needs to fix this!

Sign me One Fed-Up Mom!
  • beckie2beckie2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I also own this minivan...biggest mistake and sooo frustrated...in 2008 i had the tranny rebuilt and then in 2010 i had to have the torque converter replaced so yeah would be nice to b recalled...also have put thousands of dollars in too this van....
  • ihatemy04frstrihatemy04frstr Member Posts: 7
    Who ever has a facebook account post this. I just did- we need to get the word out more. I am sure there are so many more people having problems but not posting.
  • ThirstybootsThirstyboots Member Posts: 8
    Had transmission replaced on 2004 Freestar in Dec.2008 at 87,000 miles. Tranny is now slipping. No surprise here. I got out the paperwork for the 36 month/100,000 mile warranty. Do I really have to return it to the Ford dealer that replaced the transmission? It went out while on a road trip over 6 hours away from home. Anyone know the answer to this?
  • sberry13sberry13 Member Posts: 2
    It may not be the transmission. Have them check the computer system. I thought it was the tranny at first too, but these Freestars don't have good protection from wet weather for their computer systems. If the mechanic can figure out a way to protect it until you get home, have him do it! It cost me about $300 a visit to the tranny shop (3 visits = $900) and two new computers ($800 each) before I just gave up on this van. I wish you luck!
  • fordcustsrvcfordcustsrvc Member Posts: 27
    Hello all,

My name is Seni with Ford Customer Service. I see that many of you are experiencing similar issues with your Freestar. Please keep in mind that Ford and the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) work together to proactively identify areas of concern through investigation of consumer and dealer feedback. During an investigation Ford co-operates fully with NHTSA. Ford does not speculate on the outcome of any current investigation or future actions. Due to our rigorous safety standards and constant testing, not all issues result in recall or Customer Satisfaction Programs. If a program is announced on a specific component, Ford will notify you by mail. Should you receive a letter we suggest you contact your selling dealer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment.

Please log onto www.FordOwner.com, at your convenience, to check for any possible recalls on your VIN specific Freestar. If you prefer to contact the Customer Relations Center, you may do so by calling 800-392-3673.

Kind Regards,
    Seni
    Ford Customer Service Division
  • transtroubledtranstroubled Member Posts: 3
    we had all three issues with our 2005 freestar: water in computer module; failed torque converter; slipping transmission-traded it in before the next problem on a Chrysler T&C. So far this was the best thing we could have done-nice van and no tranny issues.
  • barrybeck1barrybeck1 Member Posts: 11
    Well the question is, why are so many of us are having and issue with transmissions and cpu problems with our freestar vans? and what is Ford going to do about it before all of us start telling our freinds who are considering buying a new Ford Product not too! Why because Ford doesn't stand up behind their products. I'm a long time Ford customer, been buying Fords since I was 19, I'm now 63, I've owned in my liftime some where, over 20 Fords, thats like 1 every 2 years, but no more. And yes I had cpu problems and lost so far one transmission at 65,000 miles. Never lost a transmission before in any of my Ford cars previously. Had a Lincoln towncar I kept for 185,000 miles, never had a trans problem in the 5 years I owned it. Some would say it was a fluke I never lost one before but then I say, why are so many freestar owners loosing theirs? Remember Ford, every person here knows at least 244 other people they can Bad mouth a Ford too! And you have it would seem over a thousand here with the same issues!

Barry
  • hohmanvanhohmanvan Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for your info... I have to be honest. I am a bit surprised that Ford has not officially as a company done anything about this, even though there are countless reports of the exact same thing happening to the same vehicle. I got stranded in Maine last year, and I live in Ohio, and our local dealer did nothing to help.

We are replacing the entire computer module now. This vehicle is just packed with defects, it would be better for Ford to bite the bullet and pay for a lot of these repairs. It's gotten ridiculous.

Maybe the class action lawsuit currently in action is preventing that.
  • er1457er1457 Member Posts: 8
    Seni it is very kind of you to respond to the numerous complaints regarding the Ford Freestar problems. I do not believe Ford will address this issue until the NHTSA takes action. I am not very optimistic this will happen until someone is killed. If Ford was concerned about customer safety, action would be taken by now considering the minivan is a family vehicle (children are passengers). Since I needed a vehicle to transport my grandchildren, I immediately got rid of my Freestar as soon as the transmission was replaced. Everytime I see a Freestar on the rode, I feel like I should warn the driver that at any time the vehicle can just come to a stop with no warning as mine did as I approached a major interstate. As far as contacting the Customer Care Center, many of us did with no satisfaction. I also wrote to the Ford CEO and never received a response.
  • misty10misty10 Member Posts: 23
    Well Seni, if you read ALL the post on here you'd know that the Freestar has a major torque converter problem...with mine replaced twice already. We are trying to all get a class action lawsuit going and bring it to media attention like they did with Toyota. Ford does NOT stand by their products and I just love it when you brag on TV on how big your profits have been this past yr. So, Seni, we hope to ALL see Ford in court soon.
  • aliciasalicias Member Posts: 1
    Last week the transmission went out on my 2004 ford freestar with 73,000 miles on it. I was driving in the city with my children when it stopped without warning. When they said it was the transmission, I thought thank God I still have a warranty. When I bought my car I got the certified pre owned with a 6 year 750000 mile warranty. I had NO idea that the used car warranty I got with the van started 2 years before I bought it. So it is expired.
  • chalkeightchalkeight Member Posts: 13
    SENRI OR WHAT EVER YOUR NAME IS PLEASE GET WITH THE PROGRAM YOU ACT LIKE THIS IS NOTHING THIS IS A HORRIABLE THING FORD IS DOING I WANT TO KNOW WHO THEY ARE PAYING OFF TO ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN AT LEAST TOYOTA WILL DO THE RIGHT THING AND NOT IGNOR THE PEOPLE THAT PUT THE FOOD IN THERE FAMILYS BELLY I HOPE EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU AT FORD GET WHATS COMING TO YOU. BUNCH OF LYING BACK STABBING CROOKS I HAVE NEVER HEARD OR BEEN AROUND SUCH A CROCK OF CRAP I OWN A 2004 FORD FLEASHIT GET IT TOGETHER
  • doodlealldaydoodleallday Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2011
    I have written Ford Motor Co. 4 times. After the 3rd time they wrote me and said they would not be communicating with me any more as my 2005 Freestar was out of warranty. I have written to NHTSA and Center for Auto Safety several times as well. I was told that Ford would have to initiate the recall. When my transmission went out I was on a busy interstate passing an 18-wheeler. Luckily I had the good sense to let my van coast to the side of the road. Thank goodness I was not hit and could maneuver my van to safety. I cannot afford a new vehicle so must pray each day I have to drive my van that I will return safely home. With hundreds of Freestar owners posting on this website I cannot imagine that Ford Motor Co. can sit back and do nothing - this defect is a tragedy waiting to happen. I hope that all at Ford will be able to look at themselves and sleep well at night when a death occurs as a result of a faulty transmission failing without any warning. I want to warn every Freestar and Mercury Monterey owner about this defect. I love my van but I am afraid this is my last Ford product.
  • ihatemy04frstrihatemy04frstr Member Posts: 7
    This is starting to be getting ridiculous with this Freestar. Last week I went to my mechanic and he said he can't find anything wrong with the steering. Wanted my mechanic to just check it out- maybe I was just looking for something else to go wrong and was overexadderating. When you turn the steering wheel right to left-left to right I felt something abnormal. Today I realized I was not looking for something else to go wrong with this damn car- there is definitely something wrong. And also when I turn, I lose the steering just a little bit but has gotten worse so it has to go back in the shop AGAIN.

#### I am 37 and have loved my fords have never had any problems. - 94 aerostar with 180,000+ miles a 96 ford windstar with 170,000+ 97 f150 with about 88,000+ 00' Lincoln navigator with over 100,000 and 2002 ford e350 super duty oh and I had a 82 ford mustang gt.

Oh wait; I forgot to mention about my 04 Freestar that I own

Not one of them did I have any problems like I have have with Freestar.

I would love to get rid of this ford but I owe a lot more than it's worth especially after putting a new transmission in the damn thing.

I have a 2 and a 4 year old.........I will own ford if anything happens to my kids.
  • 72stick72stick Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2011
    Seni and all,

It is a sad day when Ford doesn’t want to admit there’s an issue with their torque converter in the 2005 Freestar. Their own documentation to the NHTSA shows they knew about the issues. The documentation by NHTSA is very compelling. The poor storage and shipping of the converter drive plates along with the poor welding techniques and sloppy assembly line installation all contributed to the short input-shaft spline life.

We own a 2005 Freestar and the transmission failed on March 11, 2011. Thankfully, the wife was not hurt while maneuvering off to the side of the road traveling by herself in the daylight with time to make a phone call for help before dark. The night before, we were returned home from ST Louis. That was a 4 hour drive. Had it failed on the hwy or Interstate at night, the story might have had a different ending.

I didn’t have my cell phone with me when she broke down, so I didn’t find out about the problem till just before dark. I had 30 minutes of daylight; just enough time to take a car dolly and retrieve the van. I used a come-a-long hooked to my truck to wench it on the dolly. Lucky for me I’m an old mechanic and I’ve retrieved many broken down cars before, although it’s been many years since I’ve done it.

When I got it home I started it up and checked the tranny oil level. It was overfull, and with the engine up to operating temp, the tranny oil was still cold. The high oil level and low oil temperature indicated to me that the transmission oil pump wasn’t turning. I fired up the home computer and WOW, was I surprised to see so many problems with the Freestar torque converter.

The next Monday I called my friend at the local community college Votech School. He’s an instructor in their Mechanical Power Technology department. He used to be a Ford mechanic and told me he knew exactly what’s wrong with the Freestar. I asked him if he wanted to take a crack at fixing the van. He just finished teaching the transmission class last month, but talked the school into letting the students fix our van for real world practical experience. They only charge for the new parts installed to fix the problem and only ask for a donation to the school. Fair as fair can be. He’s class started working on the van today and promised to take lots of pictures as it is taken a part.

Seni & Ford, are you reading this? You have missed a big opportunity! Instead of burying your collective heads in the sand and paying the big $ to your lawyers to defend the company, you could have said – Hey, we don’t admit there’s a defect but for the vans out of warranty we’ll donate the parts to your local vocational technology school and let them get some real world experience fixing the problem; A WIN- WIN proposition for all involved. The students get the experience they need to succeed in the work place and the van owners get their van fixed at a fraction on the cost. Is something like this even possible in today’s litigious society? When I was a young man, this would have been a no brainer. :cry:
  • momx6momx6 Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2011
    I have been following this thread for years since the transmission on our 2004 Ford Freestar went out, at highway speed, on a four lane highway, during rush hour, with my four young children in the van...Lucky for us no one was injured.

I have seen a number of postings that reference class action suits in other states but have not seen anything about Wisconsin. Has anyone initiated a suit here? Is anyone interested?

Jill
  • momx6momx6 Member Posts: 5
    Seni,

REALLY! This is your reply to years and years of complaints? This is your response to putting my family in danger when Ford knew that there was an issue with these vans! REALLY…THIS IS THE BEST THAT YOU AND FORD CAN DO? SHAME ON YOU! :mad:

With much disgust,

A terrified mother of six and lifelong Ford owner (who will never buy a Ford again)
  • unfordunatelyunfordunately Member Posts: 5
    72stick,

In your response, you refer to the documentation that Ford supplied to the NHTSA. I have not been able to get any information from the NHTSA about the investigation beyond their request to Ford from Nov 2010. Could you tell me how you got it, or, better yet, where I can find it?

To all who are reading,

I am also a lifelong Ford owner. I can say with certainty that if I do not receive at a minimum full reimbursement for my expenses for both times my torque converter failed, I will never buy another Ford. This is completely irresponsible of Ford. I'm furious!

I am interested in a lawsuit, but am unfamiliar with the process. I live in NH. Does it need to be done by state, or can we combine nationally? If anyone is initiating, count me in.
  • 72stick72stick Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2011
    You have to go to Safercar.gov,
    -then vehicle owners,
    -defect investigations,
    -search.

You'll then drill down by selecting:
    -type,
    -then model year,
    -then make,
    -then model, and finally
    -component.

One of the selections is power train:
    -Automatic transmission: torque converter

Use that selection, but don't put a check in the check box for ....see full summary.....
    It takes way too long.

Finally, you'll see search results and a couple of records displayed.
    Click on the document search button at the bottom of the record.

You'll see a file matrix and just click on the files and start reading.
    Some are just engineering results but the good stuff is in there somewhere.

Start from this link:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/results.cfm

Good luck! :surprise:
  • nadinebnadineb Member Posts: 190
    OK. I could not figure out why a Ford Customer Service Rep. was posting, but after searching the complaints on NHTSA, now I know. Read below.

A car jack, part number 3F2Z17080AB, that comes standard with 2004 Ford Freestar Minivans, bent while supporting the van causing the vehicle to fall, crush and kill the owner that was under the vehicle doing repairs in the right front wheel well.
    Why did you post on this site?
    Join the Recall Ford Freestars page on Facebook.
  • msq1224msq1224 Member Posts: 16
    I haven't posted in a very long time...the failure on my 2004 Freestar is described way back in the 100's in this forum. I wanted everyone to understand that Ford claims that our failures weren't dangerous because engine power, breaking and steering were not lost! We could just gently glide to the side of the road...just like floating on a cloud. I think those of us traveling on Interstates and highways when this happened would beg to differ! I thought we were going to lose our lives the night mine went out at 65 mph on I-65! I wish someone at Ford would try driving in the left lane on an Interstate going 65 mpg with cars and trucks all around...and then just take their foot off the gas and see how close the truck behind them gets! Oh, actually they couldn't even try it because they would know what was going on, while the rest of us found out the hard way! It has been 3 years since my failure and I tell everyone I know, every chance I get. This was after 20 years of buying nothing but Fords...not any more!!!
  • mgcoopmgcoop Member Posts: 2
    WOW the exact same thing happened to the jack on my 2005 Freestar, thank God I was not directly under the van while I was changing a flat on my right front tire. The lugs were off but the tire stopped the van from hitting the ground. I have replaced my torque converter and have most the problems listed on this page. I to have owned many Fords my very first car was an LTD. I think this is also my last.
  • jdee77jdee77 Member Posts: 2
    I thought my Trans had gone out 2 weeks ago when I posted but as it turns out it was water in the pcm and it started shifting erratically, Well It dried out and everything was fine except ever since then at about 40-45mph when it shifts it seems a little rough, I know its only a matter of time till I have the torque converter problem as well because It seems to me that If you own one of these vans you will have the problem at some point no matter what. I am in the position that I have to drive it for at least 6 more months and that means that everytime im in this thing I drive in the slow lane in case I have to try to pull over, I dont cross traffic unless there are no cars coming for miles , Im having to drive this thing like it could kill me at any time because If you get stuck in the roadway because it fails someone can hit you. Ford makes it seem like you can coast forever once it fails, but obviously its only going to coast as far as it can before it stops whether thats in the middle of traffic or not. They are treating us like we are idiots who are just unhappy with our vehicles, and thats not true we are unhappy with our vehicles because they built a vehicle with a well documented problem that they refuse to take responsibility for. I am so irate over how they are handling this and I do tell at least one person a day about this and I will never stop. Does anyone know if there is a facebook page relating to this?
  • unfordunatelyunfordunately Member Posts: 5
    Thanks.

I see that there is a lot of information from Ford for the initial PE09033. That was closed in Nov 2010, at which time EA09016 was opened and remains open. The last document I see is the ODI's request to Ford for data in Nov 2010.

Is there anything more recent? Ford was requested to respond by Jan 2011. Does anybody know if they did?
  • blenertzblenertz Member Posts: 2
    Can't find the page you reference on Facebook - can you provide a link?

Thanks,
    ~B
  • jccrawfordjccrawford Member Posts: 18
    According to Mr. McHenry (the NHTSA investigator), Ford did respond and now the NHTSA has to go through all of the paperwork, etc.
  • mumpspromumpspro Member Posts: 1
    Add me to the list with 2005 Ford Freestar Transmission failure....only 54k miles on the vehicle and no warranty :(
  • jeepermeo2jeepermeo2 Member Posts: 7
    I called Ford customer service. All thou they were very friendly they could not tell me any thing other then there has been no recall on the transmission. They said I could pay to have the van towed to the dealer and pay to have a dynastic test to see what the failure is. But no promise of any help.
    edited April 2011
    Ford does not play well with others so I would not play nice with them. This is a well know issue, well documented issue, and if you are waiting for a promise of any help...I would forget it. This is a time to be assertive with them otherwise they will let you foot a rather large bill for repairs. From what I have experienced, Ford has not a bit of regard for your safety, financial status, or any ethical issues that revolve around this vehicle. All reasons that I will never, ever have another Ford in my driveway. I will express this to all I know, and the longer that Fords allows this miscarriage of justice to continue, the louder I will become in my expression of outrage.

Regards.
  • sugarbear4250sugarbear4250 Member Posts: 1
    i have a question....i have a 04 freestar with the 3.9 motor in it....ithas just recently started squeaking over somewhere by the serpentine belt and we just cant figure it out...it doesnt do it all the time only when it is cold...but now it will sputter every once in a while and die but it never turns on the check enginel light when it does so we have changed the belt tensioner because it wiggled a little thinking that was it but it wasnt...it sounds likeit is inthe back and lower on one of the pulleys but i have no clue...plz help...it only has 104,000 miles on it...we have replaced the everything but the sparkplug wires, fuel pump,and the motor and tranny because we havent needed too
  • misty10misty10 Member Posts: 23
    We also have a 2004 and the squeaking comes from the cam position sensor. Just take out the two screws and unplug wire, then lift the cap off and squirt turbine oil or slick 50 lube. This does work for quite awhile but the part does need to be eventually replaced. It's about $140.00 and need the alignment tool to do it. My husband is a mechanic so I luck out with this. You're lucky because we had to replace out torque converter twice so far.
  • fordfailfordfail Member Posts: 4
    Wanted to join the list of Freestar transmission failures. We heard a noise, and the transmission was gone. Had it towed to a transmission shop. Waiting to hear an estimate for repair. Anyone know what this is likely to cost me?
  • carranoacarranoa Member Posts: 7
    $3000-$4000.
    Wow. That is a tough pill to swallow. I was thinking $2000 max. I'm gonna puke.
  • cknechelcknechel Member Posts: 1
    Have a family member with a 2005 or maybe a 2004 Freestar. The van only has 17000 miles on it. The tranmission just stopped working. No problems leading up to the failure. This just occured yesterday April 11, 2011. She was told that it would cost $3400 to replace. It is totally wrong that Ford knows there is a problem, and never had a recall. So much for anyone in our family ever purchasing a Ford again.
    I was given three options for the transmission.

1. Rebuild existing transmission for $2200;
    2. Install after-market transmission by Precision Auto Parts with a 2 year parts/labor warranty for $2600 or;
    3. Get a genuine Ford transmission with a three year parts/labor warranty for $3150.

Since the car is an '04 with 60,000 miles on it, and I don't trust the Ford transmission anyway, I decided to hedge and go with the Precision Auto Parts transmission.

Any thoughts?
  • heartlanderheartlander Member Posts: 4
    In anticipation of replacing the tranny on my 2005 Monterey, does anyone know if the rebuilt trannies have corrected the spline issue, are they any better than Ford's replacement?

Is there a definitively better replacement tranny out there?
    edited April 2011
    A friend suggested this as recommended reading: http://asavagefactory.com/

I believe that you will find it very interesting to read about Ford through an employees perspective.
  • zachtmartinzachtmartin Member Posts: 1
    The transmission should be covered by the warranty even if you bought it used. I had the same problem, called Ford directly, and they took car of the replacing the transmission. Mine went out a 45,000 miles. You have to be forceful but kind with the people at corporate. They really are descent people. I hope this helps.
  • tervmomtervmom Member Posts: 12
    Nadine, Thanks for starting a FB page. My 2006 Freestar transmission died at approximately 47,000 miles without warning in March of 2009. (I posted on this website fairly soon after and have also filed with NHTSA.) Just asked to join the FB group.

Thanks, Brenda
  • furiousatfordfuriousatford Member Posts: 2
    Purchased a 2004 Freestar 11 months ago. We've now spend $1,400 in repairs to date. Took it in a couple of days ago to find out that the PCM we had replaced in Aug is already causing problems again. Luckily (or maybe not) the dealership did the PCM repair and I have my documentation. I'll be duking it out with them to cover the repairs since then that wouldn't have happened if they had fixed the problem right from the start. Mechanic opened the box to the PCM and told me that water poured out. In August, we were assured it was sealed up tight. Even the Ford mechanics can't fix these vans right! As someone else said, I thought the van was a steal but now I wish someone would steal the van!
  • ddivittoddivitto Member Posts: 3
    I have 2004 monterey, I replaced the transmission last year, and have had several electrical issues that seem to be the PCM problem. I called the dealer and he told the cost to replace the PCM would be $700 to $1000 dollars and he could not give any idea how long it would take because the part was hard find either new or used. So I had a friend who is a mechanic take the PCM out and dry it, and seal it up after replacing it, that was about 3 months ago and I am having problems again. Does anyone know if I could order a new PCM and have him replace it or does the PCM have to be hooked to a computer before using.
    thanks!
  • furiousatfordfuriousatford Member Posts: 2
    Well, I thought I was done with the mechanic for a while. Torque converter went. Besides the tranny, this is the last thing in the long list of Freestar problems to go. They quoted me $1000. Sound about right?
  • gobamagobama Member Posts: 16
    I have the Mercury Monteray. My transmission and torque convertor both went out. The cost was around $2,300. We did not have it done by the dealer ship since they would not cover it. A local transmission place did the work. So far we have had no additional problems. We did purchase an extended warranty on the work. I gave up on Ford after several attempts. Mine is a 2004 and has less than 80,000 miles on it. I drove my last two Mercury vans, both Villagers well over 100,000 miles each and never had issues either of these. I was hoping the same would hold true with the Monteray.
  • philvidphilvid Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2011
    Only 48,000 kms, holly ****!!

I've got a Freestar 2004 - 4.2 l and the transmission went last August. I was at 150,000 kms approx. Cost me $2500. Lucky for me that the transmission shop has a one year / 30,000km guarantee. I need ti send a letter of **** to Ford Canada...What a piece of junk this van !

Phil
  • philvidphilvid Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2011
    The transmission of my Freestar 2004 - 4.2 l died on me last August. The van had 150,000 kms on the odometer. A $2500 job + towing, thank you very much !
    I need to contact Ford and give then **** !

Don't ever buy a used one !

P. Vidori