Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• philvidphilvid Member Posts: 8
    Get rid of the car...

:lemon:
  • artklartkl Member Posts: 1
    I OWN A 2005 FORD FREESTAR AND THE BLOODY TRANSMISSION WENT WITHOUT ANY WARNING. IT ONLY HAS 120000KM ON IT i CALLED FORD OF CANADA AND GOT THE RUN AROUND, I HEARD THAT THERE IS A LAW SUIT GOING ON WITH FORD AND SOME OF THE DIGRUNTLED OWNS OF THEIR FORDS. I THINK IT IS ABSOULUTE A DISGRACE THAT FORD WON'T RECALL THESE VEHICLES WHEN THEY KNOW THAT THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THEM. SO IF ANYONE KNOWS WHO AND WHERE I CAN GET IN CONTACT WITH TO JOIN THE LAWSUIT.
  • fordfailfordfail Member Posts: 4
    Honestly, getting 120,000KM out of a Freestar is pretty good. They are usually ready for the junkyard well before that. Expect expensive repair from here on out. I don't mean to sound sarcastic, it is just that we've all been there. The vehicle sucks...money. It was a disaster and Ford knows it. Notice they are no longer built!
  • jetmech03jetmech03 Member Posts: 1
    2005 Freestar I had same problem. Yes you can after you let the computer dry out for at least 3-5 days and reuse it After reading how the water passes under the drip shield under the windshield wipers due to cheap foam gasket which the water drips down the fire wall right onto the computer also the water drips on to the coil pack which cracks the plastic and will make the van backfire. I installed a home made shield over the top of the computer and put large amount of sealant where the gasket is that was 10,000 miles ago and have not had more problems. This pmc will destroy your transmission if you do not keep it from getting wet. when it gets wet the shifting it controls gets out wac making the trans do small micro shifts to torque converter lock out which then strips out the splines in the torque converter and your trans stops working. People have had thier trans go out replaced them and 10,000-15,000 milres later go out again for for the same torque converter failure because of water getting on the pmc. The pmc can get so wet that reverse would not work which was my case. I hope this was a help to you.
  • shocked1shocked1 Member Posts: 85
    I haven't responded on this site in 2 years... first time i registered complaint was 3 years, when we replaced a $1500.00 transmission!! And 3 yrs later NOTHING different. NO RECALLS!!Not going be any.... cause FORD still able to sale junk. In bank line Fri. lady nx to us had open door to do bussiness @ bank in her WINDSTAR. I noticed her cause Iwas having to do same thing!! Windows quit working!!!! FORD, WINDSTAR & FREESTARS SUX!!!! Oct / 2011 we are buying a TOYOTA.... WEVE NOTICED THEY STAND BEHIND RECALLS & REPAIRS...WHEN NEEDED!!!!! :mad: :P :lemon:
  • drhmthdrhmth Member Posts: 6
    The following is a copy of a letter I sent today to Stephen McHenry, the last know investigator with the NHSTA:
    It’s been several months since I have seen any reporting through Edmunds.com on the above titled issue and it looks like dates are changing on the dates investigations were opened (assume that’s just a procedural issue), but am pleased to see that the investigation is not closed, however, I am concerned that there is still no information about a recall campaign.

Is there a way to know how many of these vehicles were manufactured and are still on the road, today. Or, the totals vs. number of complaints for the model history?

I know from previous conversations we have had that there is little you can say, but, I do have to admit that Ford now being lauded as the car company that didn’t require a government bailout (maybe because they did such a poor job of standing behind their product back then), is a little disturbing.

I guess one question I can ask is that now that the Mercury brand is no longer being manufactured, is this travesty just going to die a slow death or will the Ford Freestar (same components) keep it alive?

Thank you for whatever has been done and can only hope that someday there will be a fair resolution.

PEOPLE............THE ONLY WAY TO KEEP THIS ISSUE ALIVE IS TO CONTINUE CONTACTING THE NHSTA WITH AS MUCH DETAIL OF YOUR "HORROR STORIES". THE CORRECT EMAIL FOR THE INVESTIGATOR I HAVE BEEN IN TOUCH WITH OVER THE YEARS (YEARS???ABSURD) IS: Stephen.McHenry@dot.gov
    :mad:
  • madman77madman77 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 freestar 3.9l with 84967ms on the dash which my family & I took on our vacation. The drive down & around was great but the trip home was something different. Without any warning my transmission went up. I notice that the van was losing power, the rpm damn near did a whole lap and massive smoke started coming out of the exhaust & from under the hood. I pulled over to get my family out & safe then I pop the hood when a small flame shoot out. I never had a vehicle that did anything like this and reading some of the other posted forums ford has some serious problems they need to address. How can you "FORD" have a vehicle on the road that's catching on fire or even having faulted transmission :mad:
  • idbumpkinidbumpkin Member Posts: 4
    I was leaving a softball game, and turned onto a busy road when all of a sudden I was no longer moving, like my Freestar was put in neutral. I immediately put my hazards on and tried putting it in reverse to see if I could get out of the road. No such luck! I called a girl on the team who was still in the parking lot, and she called over a family friend who was gracious enough to help me. He ended up having to bump my car accross 4 lanes of traffic so that I could park in a lot across the street. I was nearly hit by a motorcycle and another car!! I had the van towed to the dealership who said it was the torque converter. The cost to fix it is $1700, but he recommended that we rebuild the transmission because when there is one problem, it is likely the whole thing will go later. That is a mere $3400. We called a local place who said he could do it for $1100. He also said we should look online because he heard there was a class action lawsuit filled for this. He is right!! Here is the link! http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/08/10/Ford.pdf
    We are now having to tow it to the local guy to have it fixed, and Ford is charging us $200 because they spent 2 hours looking at it. They didn't even try to match the local guys fees to keep the business. Maybe it is because they know about the lawsuit and really aren't saying much at all!! I should also mention, the family friend who helped me push my car through traffic and waited with me for the tow truck.. the same thing happened to his sister a week earlier. He said it would be about $1500 to fix if it was the same thing!! I am going to forward the same information to them, maybe they can get their money back too!!

It sounds like most of us were fortunate enough to not get hit by oncoming traffic!! We are supposed to go on vacation in 5 days, driving this vehicle!! This is setting us back quite a bit as you all know!!"
  • tervmomtervmom Member Posts: 12
    It's just frustrating to see the lawsuit end at the 2005 model when my 2006 Freestar did exactly the same thing with about the same mileage of the original claimant.
  • bambam12bambam12 Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 freestar broke down June 2. Took it to the dealership and they checked it out. After six days they called to "regretfully" tell me the radiator line running through the transmission caused the problem. Now the radiator also needs to be replaced and the warranty will not cover the expenses because the radiator caused the problem. Any feedback on these issues is greatly appreciated.
  • aumond61aumond61 Member Posts: 1
    I am writing this because I have every problem listed here the transmission, the computer issue which was sealed again after paying 600.00 and it is doing it again, my back hatch door doesn't work either. I can't believe that this is allowed we were in contact with dot about the transmission issues and recalls but apparently that is not going to happen. I can't believe that so many have the same problems and ford still thinks there is no problem. If anyone knows of a way let me know I will tell my story to anyone and everyone.
    Thaks,
    JoAnne
  • dxcbostondxcboston Member Posts: 2
    Hi

Good info. Are you saying that if the transmission is not engaging that it may after the electronics dry out?
  • tortugabuzztortugabuzz Member Posts: 1
    We had the exact same problem on the interstate yesterday with our 2004 Freestar. On cruise RPM's went to makes and it quit going. After pulling over, it would not go into any gear including reverse. I filed a complaint also.

Thanks,
    Greg
  • klp470klp470 Member Posts: 3
    I have had so many issues with this van. It is a 2005 freestar. I noticed that the transmission was slipping - had the garage look at it. oh and ever since the dealer tried to rip me off with my rotors I have used a different garage. Then the issue stopped until recently when it started again but this time the check engine light blinks at you and the van seems to slip constantly and does not want to seem to go - this happened in the rain storms. The garage and this time the ford dealer said the check engine code wasn't written to the system for them to see what the problem was. Today was a beautiful day. My husband told me that the transaxle light came on, the rpms went real high and then it was slipping a lot, wouldn't shift and didn't want to seem to go. When I drove it later, it seems to slip a lot but now the light isn't on. I am going to try to get it fixed this week if possible. I leave for vacation soon. How can you take such a vehicle on any kind of road trip? I wouldn't trust it today to take it on a 1 hour trip for fear of it letting us sit on the highway with a family of 5. My tire rims are an issue also. I pump so much air into those tires on a weekly basis. That is one issue that I took back to the dealer (different from the one I bought the car from) - so far knock on wood it seems to be fixed. I truely hate this van and all of the problems. I have had Ford/Mercury vans since 1994 - this is the worst of all of them!
  • carranoacarranoa Member Posts: 7
    My engine light started flashing during a rain storm. I had a cracked ignition coil that was causing water to leak in and causing cylinder #3 to foul within 5 mind of a new plug being put in. The dealer didn't believe that I just put new plugs in recently. They told me they couldn't believe how fast they fouled. Replaced the transmission 2 uses ago. Now my engine lights on again with a code for a pressure problem in my gas tank. It's driving fine and my gas mileage is still a crappy 18 mpg, so I'm not worrying about it now. Fan blower in the middle/back doesn't blow and drivers side slide door doesn't always unlock when I try.
    please call ford at 1800-392-3673 to register all of your compaints about these freestars that is the only way that they will do something for all of us according to them. it is worth a try.
  • dejacrew423dejacrew423 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had their transmission brake because of water in the transmission? In 2008 I had to have my transmission replaced because I couldn't switch my van into gear and the transmission was broke. In Nov. 2009 I had to bring my 2004 Freestar back into the shop to fixed my transmission and I had to get another new transmission put in because of the same issue. They also stated that there was water in my transmission fluid and that is why the transmission went out. I came back to their shop in Jan. 2010 because of my car having a hard time shifting into gear which had happened prior to the two previous transmissions going out. They decided that since there was again water in my transmission that it was a radiator malfunction and that they needed to replace my radiator. Just Monday, (June 20 2011) I had to bring my van back into the shop because it is having a hard time shifting into Drive, Reverse, etc. AGAIN. This time I was told of a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) issued by Ford stating that some 1999-2003 Windstars and 2004-2007 Freestar/Monterey vehicles built prior to 6/22/2006 may exhibit some engine/transmission driveability issues due to water entering the powertrain control module or transaxle vent. So Ford not only knows about the problem but has issued instructions on how to fix the problem on their online publication website. This isn't a recall because they have not had enough people with the problem bring attention to the problem. If this is a problem you've had please please please post about your problem so we can get Ford to see that this is not a minor issue but one that has effected numerous vans and needs to be recalled. I have had to pay for 3 transmissions, 1 radiator, and numerous fluid flushes, diagnostic testing, etc. for a MANUFACTING problem that Ford knows about, knows how to fix, but yet leaves the consumer in charge of getting it fixed. This is a preexisting problem and when you're a stay at home mother of 3 with only one income the financial and mental headache from this problem is devastating!! This is unacceptable.
  • nadinebnadineb Member Posts: 190
    My 2004 Freestar went into the dealer for water in the power control module, and they could not adjust the vehicle enough to stop the issue with the water. Even stated that fact on the receipts I received from them.

You need to write to your Senators, Congressperson, and everyone else! I agree that this is unacceptable, but I believe that Ford could care less. They do have a crash and burn policy!
  • ielyiely Member Posts: 1
    Phil..did yo have that repaired in the dealer? My ford freestar 2004's transmission just gave up and brought it to an auto shop in my area (hoping its cheaper than the dealer service shop)..They told me labor and parts would cost me $3900!
    My transmission is now replaced ($2700 later). The transmission shop told me that the 2nd gear was burned out. A Ford supervisor finally called me back. She asked if I took the van to a ford dealer. I told her no because I couldn't afford their labor charges and I had already had it into them to be checked and they couldn't find the problem. Mine only really acted up after the transmission shop let it run for while then when they rehooked it up to the computer codes started coming forth. Apparently Ford didn't want to take the time with it. She acted dissappointed when I told her all of the problems with the van but since I didn't take it to a ford dealer they wouldn't help. I wonder how they would have really helped if they would have called me back before I decided to take it to the transmission place. The transmission place said that this is common from what he has seen in this make and model. Call and ask for a supervisor and tell them everything about these vans. They need to know. good luck everyone. Now lets pray that this is it for a while with this van.
  • sacleonesacleone Member Posts: 1
    I am sitting here reading these posts and I cannot believe it! The EXACT thing happened to me several days ago, driving home from vacation with 4 children in the van...Vehicle started loosing power, and there was massive smoke...I was able to coast into the roadside plaza along the Mass Pike...only to have people start screaming to get out of van because it was on fire! Everyone was terrified, and a rest stop employee was able to extinguish flames We were stranded for hours...What prompted me to check it out online? Almost the same thing happened in 2009 and I had to have a new transmission put in the van...yes, a 2004 Freestar! My car is still in Massachusetts at a dealer, and I am told it may be at least a week before they can even look at it....I cannot afford another transmission, nor do I think I should have to...I WILL be checking into the class action suit mentioned in another post...
    Please file a complaint with NHTSA. Remember that Ford does have secret warranties so it could help with cost.
  • creasemonkeycreasemonkey Member Posts: 2
    About six months ago our 2004 Ford Freestar had the water getting into the PCM. My mechanic said they new about a service notice/alert, whatever you might call it, stating that Ford knew this was and issue and that it was not a recall.

They actually poured water out of the module. He stated that it did not drip out, it "poured out". He explained to me that the water was getting in between the windshield and hood. He showed me the spot. It took them 5 days to dry out the PCM and they sealed it, the best they could.

Sunday, July 3rd, the "Sprocket with an Exclamation Point" light came on in the bottom left corner of the dash as I was driving home from church with my wife and four children...12, 8, 6, and 1. Then the transmission just disengaged. We were stranded on one of the busier roads in Buffalo, New York. We called a friend to take my wife and family home. My wife got our 1998 pickup and brought it back and we towed the van to our shop.

I called today, and they have not started working on it yet, but NOW I KNOW WHAT IT IS!!! We were supposed to leave for vacation from July 8th through July 17th in Virginia. My kids were looking forward to spending the week with their grandmother for the week. I can take a broken down car, but not my family being put in danger and my children being crushed for the loss of a vacation to their grandmothers. I will file a complaint with the NHTSA, as you suggest. I doubt Ford will do anything. Unfortunately our 1998 pickup is a Ford with a leaking break line in the right rear. I was just about to put it in the shop.

NO MORE FORDS FOR ME. "FOUND ON ROAD DEAD" truly fits my opinion of Ford now.
  • creasemonkeycreasemonkey Member Posts: 2
    I have filed a complaint with the NHSTA and sent emails to the two law offices representing the law suit.
  • mfynavymfynavy Member Posts: 1
    I guess I will do the same thing. My wife had the same problem comming home from Vacation today.
  • rar6rar6 Member Posts: 1
    This happened to me last night on the interstate. I was going 70/mph down the interstate then all of a sudden it just wouldn't go. I managed to pull over with my 15yr old and 5 yr old and had to sit there about 45 minutes before we could get someone to come make sure we were safe. Another 15 mins waiting on the tow truck (only to find out that my AAA only covers 3 miles of free tow) but thankful we were not hurt and we broke down 1 mile from our machanic. I did have something strange happen about an hour before we broke down. My clock radio reset to 12:00 and my cd popped out and the radio switched to am. Which has only happened before when my battery went dead. Last week I also noticed that my cruise control was no longer working. The tow truck guy did have me do some stuff while he looked under the hood and said that my gears would move but it wouldn't engage. At least I think that is how he described it but being that it was almost 11:00pm I could have mixed the words up.
  • bkgoffbkgoff Member Posts: 2
    Who are the attorneys?
  • bkgoffbkgoff Member Posts: 2
    I took my 2004 Freestar to my local mechanic a few weeks ago because something was draining the battery when the car was left sitting but nothing was left on. I had figured out that it did not happen as long as I turned the air conditioner off before I got out of the car but still wanted to check it out in case it was an electrical issue.

My mechanic called our Ford dealer because he couldn't pinpoint the exact source. They told him to advise me to sell it. My husband and I wanted to think about the best way to get rid of it. Two weeks later my husband pulled into the road and the transmission suddenly died. Luckily, it was a low traffic area and he was able to push it to the parking lot. It had not previously slipped or showed any signs of failure. It is still sitting in the parking lot while we decide what to do. Any recommendations?
  • iferifer Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2004 Freestar and posted before about my transmission and pcm issues. Rebuilt the tranny in April 2009 and just over 2yrs later, July 2, 2011, my tranny went out again! Of coarse it was with my mom and 3 little ones in the van, in a road construction zone no less!!! After having it rebuilt 2yrs ago, I never thought we'd have to do it again!!! Now I'm reading that it's VERY common!!

As for the PCM, we replaced that summer 2010 and the van only ran better for about 6 months. It's not flashing the lights on the dashboard or losing power nearly as frequently as it was before replacing the pcm but still every few months it does for a brief moment.

Since rebuilding the 1st tranny, the cruise control quit working...well, it works when it feels like it, which is very rare. The AC is acting up. The air in the rear comes out warm and just recently, the air on the driver's side isn't nearly as cool as the passenger side air. The air on the driver's side is just like using the vents. And whenever using the air this season, the van was really doggy. I'm guessing there still may be water getting in the new pcm?? Not sure...

I've also experienced many of the other smaller issues such as the back-up beepers stopped working years ago, the side rear doors sometimes don't open or close when trying to open/close them. The rear side doors don't always lock/unlock when they're supposed to. Side view mirror on passenger side hasn't worked for years and the drivers side only works on rare occasions, has always been that way.

I'm sure there are more little issues but I can't think of them all right now.

Can someone please give me the contact info again for both FORD and NHSTA and tell me what specifically I need to put in my letters (main points that others have all used). And also, for the class action lawsuit, what is it that I need to do there???

Thank You
  • harmony0025harmony0025 Member Posts: 2
    we are currently sitting in a hotel room cause our transmission went out in our 2004 freestar. No idea exactly what caused the problem, but we will make sure to share this info with the mechanic. I can't find the fix on the ford website.
  • harmony0025harmony0025 Member Posts: 2
    have all those issues and sometimes the trunk will not open. it opens at random times. How do we get apart of this lawsuit..or at least have them fix something.
  • shay672shay672 Member Posts: 1
    I have spent the last three hours reading almost every post on this site clear back to 2006. I am so p*s*ed right now I could sceam. We also have a 2004 Ford Freestar that we are at our wits end with.

In March of 2010 on our way to a wedding our tranny went out with out warning..going up a slight incline in the road it just stopped. We were in the middle of Iowa on a county road with noone around. 2 hours from home we had a relative come and tow the van back for us and take it to a friends shop who in turn we had to have towed to another shop to rebuild tranny. Luckily we were only charged 700.00 to have it fixed.

Fast forward to this year. Earlier this spring we started to experience issues as my husband states (started falling on it face). You would drive along and it would just get sluggish and then resume normal. A friend of ours suggested it was the EGR Valve, which we took off and cleaned and the problem seemed to stop for a bit. Then it seemed to come and go, we hadn't noticed much until last night when my husband drove it to work and barely got it home. Said he came off the interstate and then it just started running rough and kept wanting to die. And smelled very hot when he got it home. Last week we had a couple of pretty good rainstorms and now it's very hot and humid outside. Now it sits in front of the house. I am seriously think or praying that its this PCM and not the tranny.

We are in no financial state to have to rebuild another tranny. The company I worked for closed in March and we only have one income and no employment in area. And have spent every dime we have trying to keep vehicles running this summer. And it just continues to be one headache after another. We are at our wits end, and are in no situation to get rid of the van at this time.

We too have experienced the cruise that only works when it wants, the drivers side window that only works when it wants, lost all the security lighting inside. Broken back door latch(happened while at grocery store when it was -30. Delay when putting in reverse, surges, radio reset, driverside back door that wont open half the time, air in back wont work. And you would think after all of this we would have moved on. We would but cant afford to.
    As of July 15, 2011. NHTSA

The subject vehicles suffered from a design issue whereby water could run down onto the cowling under the hood and located in the area of the windshield wipers and then drip onto a computer module, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), which could be manifested in a variety of symptoms depending on which part of the circuit board became wet or which of the connector pins shorted out. In addition to causing an engine to stall, which may or may not then restart, the water intrusion could also cause the transmission to shift poorly, the vehicle to have erratic power, a malfunction indicator light to come on, or result in an inability to start the vehicle, an inability to shift the vehicle into either forward or reverse. Also the problem could cause a higher than normal idle RPM in Park, or for the radio to malfunction, or the interior lights to stay on. During this investigation ODI was concerned with the effect of the engine stalling or a drastic and sudden loss of power either of which may create a safety risk. In reviewing the actual number of these types of incidents, collectively referred to here as engine stalls, the number was found to be below what would be considered a defect trend. For example, the number of engine stalls identified in Ford's warranty claims for the model year (MY) 2004 subject vehicles, the MY with the most failures, was 200 out of population of 125,865, for a failure rate of 0.16%. The one crash recorded by a complainant to NHTSA, VOQ 10311522, alleged that the engine stalled, due to water intrusion into the PCM, while the road was turning causing her to go off the road and according to the police report the vehicle then hit an embankment and a tree stump. Ford reported in their response that there were three alleged crashes but none of these were validated as being caused by a problem with water intrusion into the PCM causing a stall. Accordingly this investigation is closed. The closing of this investigation does not constitute a finding by NHTSA that a safety-related defect does not exist. The agency will continue to monitor complaints and other information relating to the alleged defect in the subject vehicles and take further action in the future if warranted.
  • tervmomtervmom Member Posts: 12
    Oh, my. Just amazingly stupid. Those are just a few of the vehicles effected by this engineering blunder. What about the vehicles it hasn't happened too yet (2005s and 2006s)??? My 2006 just went early at 42,000 miles. How about the people who thought it was only their vehicle's problem (like Ford service desks were going to tell them theirs wasn't the only van this happened to). I'll just always remember the night I ran out for a quick errand in the rain and my van just STOPPED in the middle of an unlit road with no shoulders - only ditches. So glad I remembered my cell phone as it was late, untravelled and AAA was over an hour.
  • jeepermeo2jeepermeo2 Member Posts: 7
    You mean to tell me NHTSA doesn't find a drastic and sudden loss of the transmission to create a safety risk. Driving on the interstate or pulling into a busy intersection and the transmission suddenly just lets go and you have no way to move the van out of harms way. There are over 1500 messages on here, more posting every day, with most telling the same story, but that's not being looked into. I sincerely hope the agency will continue to monitor complaints and other information relating to the alleged defect in the subject vehicles and take further action in the future because it is warranted!!!!!
  • bigdstettbigdstett Member Posts: 1
    Wow I just had my brakes done $260.00 rear brakes and calibers went to Walmart came home and my tranny goes out just stopped working nothing . theirs no way that there can be these many problems with the transmission on one van and they do not recall it this is criminal. I have been out of work for 2 years my wife is on temp unemployment this will kill us i guess eating is a luxury. please help me Ford.
  • maddad321maddad321 Member Posts: 1
    JUST IN CASE YOU DID'T KNOW THE ONLY WAY FORD WILL DO ANYTHING ABOUT THIS PROBLEM
    IS IF YOU REPORT THE PROBLEM RIGHT TO COSTOMER SERVICE AT FORD MOTOR COMPANY
    MY 2005 FORD FREESTAR TORQUE CONVERTER WENT AT 101000 ONLY PUT 100000 MILES AFTER I HAD PURCHASED THEN VAN FINAL COST OF REPAIR WAS 2500.00 THANK GOD I DIDN'T HAVE MY 3 LITTLE GIRLS IN THEN VAN CONSIERING MY 2 YOUNGEST WERE UNDER 2 AT THE
    TIME
    edited August 2011
    nadined
    I got this reply from Stephen McHenry today, Aug. 1,2011. The case is still ongoing. We need more people to report there complaint to NHTSA at www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

The investigation into the failure of the torque converter in the Ford Freestar is not completed, the water intrusion into the PCM was a separate and distinct investigation. The complaint you filed with us on March 1, 2011 is still on record and part of the current, open, investigation EA09-016 on the torque converters; you can obtain more information on that investigation at our website www.safercar.gov.

Stephen McHenry >

Investigator, US D.O.T.

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

Office of Defects Investigation

NVS-213 Room W48-308

1200 New Jersey Ave., SE

Washington D.C. 20590-0001

Fax *********

Investigation: EA09-016
    Date Opened: 11/10/2009
    Principal Investigator: Stephen McHenry
    Subject: Torque Converter Output Shaft Failure
    Manufacturer: Ford Motor Company
    Products: 2004 and 2005 Ford Freestar and Mercury Monterey
    Population: 205,219 (estimated)
    Problem Description: The torque converter output shaft may fail, resulting in a sudden loss of motive power with no warning.
    FAILURE REPORT SUMMARY
    ODI------------- Manufacturer ---------------- Total
    Complaints:------------ 124------------------- 0--------------------------- 124
    Crashes/Fires:----------- 0---------------------0 ----------------------------- 0
    Injury Incidents:--------- 0--------------------- 0----------------------------- 0
    # Injuries:----------------- 0--------------------- 0----------------------------- 0
    Fatality Incidents:-------- 0----------------------0----------------------------- 0
    # Fatalities:--------------- 0---------------------- 0----------------------------- 0
    Other*:-------------------- 0---------------------2791------------------------2791
    *Description of Other: Warranty claims indicating loss of motive power.
    Action: An Engineering Analysis has been opened.
    Engineer: Stephen McHenry
    Date: 11/10/2009
    Div. Chief: Jeffrey L. Quandt
    Office Dir.: Kathleen C. DeMeter
    Summary: ODI has received 227 owner complaints alleging a sudden and unexpected loss of motive power due to an internal transmission failure in the subject vehicles. Of those complaints, 124 can be attributed to the torque converter output shaft splines stripping causing a sudden loss of power to the drivetrain. The remaining 103 complaints experienced a loss of motive power but the specific internal failure cause within the transmission is not known.
    ODI is continuing to assess the scope, frequency and safety-related consequences of the alleged defect.
  • emmbemmb Member Posts: 1
    How do I join this in on this class action lawsuit? Same thing happened to me.
  • mmartin152mmartin152 Member Posts: 1
    had only 80000 miles on my 2004 freestar and had to fork out money to get the pcm fixed and trasmission.
  • ban4ban4 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2005 freestar with 190 thousand KMs on it.A week after returning home from a 3000km
    trip my speedo stopped working and my traction light and antilock brake lights came on. I pulled the dipstick for the tranny and found the fluid was white. It was full of water from the
    rad..I put on an external rad cooler and flushed the tranny 3 times to remove the water.I am lucky so far becaues it still works as well as it did.My dash lights are still on and my speedo
    still not working.
    I just wanted to let all you Freestar owners know that this could be your next problem.I called
    my local dealer about it and they have never heard of this issue with a freestar.
    Thanks. I want to know what figure they take into account for all those people who do not know where to file a complaint, or just give up hope that anything will be accomplished.

I've had many people who tell me that I am fighting a loosing battle, but you still have to try.
    You should file a complaint with The Center for Autosafety http://www.autosafety.org/. They will ask if you want to be part of a class action suit.
    Ford exec. Jim Farley shows true colors:

“F---- GM,” Farley tells the books’ author, Bill Vlasic. “I hate them and their company and what they stand for. And I hate the way they're succeeding. Ford is back because people trust us. And that is a powerful message. I'm a car guy. I wake up each morning thinking about cars. Watch out. We're only going to get better."

Farley is also quoted saying “I'm going to beat Chevrolet on the head with a bat. And I'm going to enjoy it."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/07/22/ford-exec-drops-f-bomb-on-general-moto- rs-in-upcoming-book/#ixzz1UaAmEMpX

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/07/22/ford-exec-drops-f-bomb-on-general-moto- rs-in-upcoming-book/#ixzz1UaA2sGzu
  • azygosazygos Member Posts: 9
    We recently had our ford freestar's transmission replaced. Go figure right. I went to the http://www.autosafety.org/ website and filed a complaint. This crappy van just started jerking and dieing when we put it in gear to. I did some research and people are saying there is water in the pcm. Oh yea the transmission fluid is milky white... We just had the transmission replaced not even 6 months ago and the fluid is white?? I read some post and they say that there might be water leaking into it from the radiator... Thank god i bought the extended warranty with this lemon car or we would be out a car with a car payment! How can Ford continue to rape us the customers? It might have something to do with there mathematicians saying they would save more money on settlements than to have a massive recall. We should all try to sue Ford for selling us this lemon! Go to the website if you have had similar problems. Maby we can make a difference. If there is any other website i should report this on email them to me at bernarddoherty86@gmail.com. Thx.
    Please read my post #1522 then report your complaint to NHTSA at www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm They need more input. I will also be reporting to http://www.autosafety.org/
    Thanks
  • gobamagobama Member Posts: 16
    I sent my information to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in 2010. I spoke with Ford customer service and they said that their records show no complaints on this. I have a 2004 Montery. Had the same issues as everyone else except I caught it before I had any issues on the road and took it in. Cost to repair was over$2,000. This year the same light came on and since we had bought the extended warranty for the repair they replaced it again at no charge. The only difference is that this time the battery was bad a pulling power to the transmission down. We did pay for the new battery.
    I have had an attorney call me from CA wanting me to get involved in a suit but my findings on this is that the attorney get's rich and the owners get a few dollars. My van only has 84,000 miles and so far everything else is fine. I am hoping that Ford is forced to do a recall.
  • idbumpkinidbumpkin Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2011
    Please google Shepherd, Finkelman, Miller and Shah (SFMS), from PA. When you find them, you can call them directly and ask for Pam Mauger, or just send them an email asking about how to join their lawsuit. They are still working on the lawsuit with Ford, and in many states!! I just got off the phone with them, and they need more people with more cases to get on board!!

My personal experience was with our torque converter on our 2004 Freestar. I did not have the other issues, yet... but from reading everything else, it sounds like I will have the same issues soon.

Good luck everyone!!
  • jodustjodust Member Posts: 1
    2004 Ford Freestar. Ugh. I have owned about 17 different vehicles in my lifetime. This is my first Ford surely this is not typical of Ford or they would have gone out of business years ago. .
    I really don't know what to say about it. We finally made it to 100k miles but it has fought us every step of the way. Luckily and Thank God i bought a good 5yr 125k warranty on this thing. Transmission went out at 70k. I think its acting up again. Warranty company is aware of issue with Ford. They tried to stick us on not servicing the transmission at certain mileage. Warranty company decided to change the mileage recommended from when we originally bought the policy. New struts. Tensioner, Crankshaft sensor, Air Conditioner, plus some others i cant think of. AC is out again but I don't blame Ford for AC issues. however the stupid Check Engine light is on yet again. Warranty company has doled out over $4500 in repairs vs. my 1600 i spent on warranty. Warranty expires in Feburary of 2012. Its gonna be outta here.
    My poor Buick Regal 1999 has seen more cars come and go from my driveway. She keeps on running and reliable. 185k and drive it daily. all original.
  • azygosazygos Member Posts: 9
    Yea my '98 Ford Ranger outlasted everyone of the cars we have owned... I geuss some cars are just made to last and while others are made in crappy factory's where people don't know how to weld and assemble cars and the company's sell them anyways to make a profit...