Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• trimadscotrimadsco Member Posts: 10
    I also own a 2005 Ford Freestar with transmission problems :-( First transmission went out March 2009, after warranty had expired of course. Service tech said it was a problem with torque converter, not the first he had seen. Cost us approximately $3,000 to replace. Thankfully, it came with a 3 year warranty. In December 2010, same thing happened again, took 3 weeks to get it replaced. Now, the transmission is starting to skip. I am scheduled to take it in next week for them to check. I have a bad feeling it's the same thing :-(. I filed two complaints with NHTSB. I have sent email request to the attorney handling the class action suit to see if I qualify to participate. It is ridiculous that Ford will not address this problem. If they don't feel it's a large enough problem to issue a recall, then they should at least cover the cost of the repairs. They KNOW this is a problem with these model/year vehicle. I used to be a Ford person, but this will be my last.
  • familytravelfamilytravel Member Posts: 1
    As I sit here on Main Street in Winnipeg waiting to have my Freestar towed to the tranny shop, I ask myself, "Why do I insist on liking the Winstar/Freestar vehicles?"
  • prob123prob123 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Freestar too and my transmission went without warning also. At least I wasn't driving. I just tried to put it into reverse and it wouldn't move. We only have 110,000km. I am in Canada and would like ot know if there is anyone else that has taken some kind of action against Ford. Before this problem the radiator and air condition went only 2 months ago. A month ago some other problem with the motor. Since when do they build cars to only last for 100,000km?
  • logan19logan19 Member Posts: 1
    when I tried to reverse my 2004 Mercury Monterey from parking lot, it didn't move and the engine was just accelerating. then I changed the gear to the drive and moved the vehicle forward, the vehicle jerked a lot , the electrical lights went off , finally the engine shutdown in the middle of the road.

Towed to local repair shop, the mechanic after inspection, he confirmed the transmission failed and the estimate was 3k and one week time

I called up the local Ford dealer, they were promising to fix it within few days and towed the vehicle to dealership. After Inspection , they called and let me know it was faulty PCM , which had water on it and the estimate to fix it would be $1000.

I said to go ahead and fix it . After an hour , the service representative from dealer called me again with a pleasant surprise, the PCM was covered under recall and no need to pay anything.

I thought to share on this forum - the good news, atleast PCM is covered under recall warranty though we have to go through the pain of panic in the middle of road and towing.
  • nadinebnadineb Member Posts: 190
    Thanks for sharing the post. I think that I will write once again to Ford and demand all the money that I had to put out for them to repair that vehicle.

I did see that NHTSA is also investigating the failure of the jack so please take care if you have to use it. They had a manufacture complain, but even sadder was a person lost their life because of this failure.
  • gattman1gattman1 Member Posts: 9
    As I read the many reports from all of you I am sick......same issue as many of you....no problems with tranny until last night out of nowhere car just stopped going, wouldnt go forward or backward and is now sitting in a Ford dealer. I am waiting for the call to tell me I have to pay up to 4k to fix it...I have had so many problems both electrical and otherwise with this piece of carp I would NEVER buy another Ford product. I want to join any lawsuits out there in Pa.......they shouldnt get away with this.
  • lyssfrgrlyssfrgr Member Posts: 5
    I wish I found this site 3 weeks ago. My husband and I just purchased a 2006 Freestar. It has 92,xxx on it. We seem to be experiencing some of these issues. It has stalled on us many times. When we shift out of park, it jerks and makes a deep sound like it was literally thrown into reverse. A few times, while driving, the traction control light will blink and the car would start slowing down (feels like it would if the e brake was on). When driving or idling, if we become silent, we can here a semi rhythmic almost drumming sound. If we lift the hood and place our heads down on the drivers side, it is much louder. It is not a constant thumping. It seems to do it when the compressor kicks on (I think). The one thing that has been 100% consistent is the DIESEL sounding acceleration. If I slowly press the gas to begin speeding up, it is terribly rough feeling and sounds like a I should be behind the wheel of a V8 Truck. The idle sounds a bit like a truck as well. The check engine light was on the day after we bought the vehicle. The dealership gave us a rental and kept the van for 2 days. Called us and said we can pick it up. He said quite a few codes popped up and the did something with the intake (Don't remember what it was). All seemed fine until the check engine light came back on this week, only this time, it went off the next day. It hasn't stalled since we picked it back up...which I am assuming after reading this thread is inevitable. I don't know what to do at this point. :cry:
    Dealership in Pa refused to work with me even after showing them the hundreds and hundreds of documented cases of premature transmission trouble nor did they care about a pending class action suit, they want $3300 to fix it. Just towing it home and now have to buy another car. How long before this class action kicks in and Ford gets whats coming to them?? Spread the word people, DO NOT BUY FORD VEHICLES, they do not stand behind their cars and don't care about anything other than your money !!!
    I have read in some messages about there being a recall of the PCM's - but when I try to search I don't find it. How do you locate recalls that have been issued?
  • talondadtalondad Member Posts: 1
    Can I add my complaint here ? I'm in Canada.. I love everything about my 2004 Freestar EXCEPT the transmission. The torque converter failed (worn away where it contacts the input shaft) at 93,000 Kms. Just 3 weeks after the warranty, but my Ford dealer said "sorry, nothing we can do". Thanks guys.. Took it to a friend with an auto shop. He replaced the converter with a stronger aftermarket converter.. Cost was $1200 for parts & labour. That was in the summer of 2009. Its been great since then. Now it is October 2011 and the trans has developed a shudder. The fluid has small dark metal filings in it, so I guess it's going to fail again.. I've always owned Fords (for 30 years) and never had a failure like this with the product or the service..
  • ukhxxxukhxxx Member Posts: 1
    I discovered this Hall of (Ford's) Fame this morning after my wife witnessed nice and quite death of the tranny in our Freestar 07. We got it here in Florida with 27,000 and had a 75,000 miles extended warranty which actually was worth having. It covered replacement of catalytic converter, on-board computer, ignition coil. Sure thing warranty was 2-months' expired when tranny died today on 82,000 :-( I am rebuilding it at the local shop for $2000 and will sell the van right away. No more stuff from Ford, this was my first and the last US made vehicle. Sorry. I filed complaint with NHTSA and would definitely ask mechanic about faulty PCM. ANyway I'll post an update on the outcome of my case.
  • pissedoff11pissedoff11 Member Posts: 5
    On Tueday October 18, 2011 my husband was driving home from work when all of a sudden he looses all power to the van. Mind you he was on a very busy road with several hills and blind spots. With looking into the problem we go on Fords Website and find that they are aware of the problem. It is a design problem in the hood that allows water to go down the firewall, hit the PCM module and then the transmission. But after talking with Ford there are not enough complaints on these vehicles to issue a recall. Now what I have done and I urge all of you to do if you have bot already is file a complaint with the Federal trade, your attorney gerneal, you highway safety counsil and with FORD. This is a huge safety problem. People could get killed! I am very thankful that my husband was able to get the van to the side of the road without the cars behind him smashing into him. This problem does not give any warning when it happens! No matter if you get the PCM fixed or the tranny or the torque converter fixed it will happen again. The problem is caused by a bad design with the hood that allows water in by the windsheild wippers! I have checked with mechanics the hood can not be adjusted!
  • pissedoff11pissedoff11 Member Posts: 5
    We are in the same boat as you. Our went out with no warning on Tuesday October 18. I have filed a complaint with FOrd, NHTSA along with the attorney general and federal trade. Our biggest problem is no matter if we get this fixed it is not going to last. Ford admitts the problem is in the hood design. Water leaks down the firewall to the PCM module and then the transmission. But they are not willing to have a recall, they say there is not enough complaints yet! This is a huge safety issue that needs to be fixed. I am glad to hear your family did not get hurt!
  • moddernmanmoddernman Member Posts: 1
    THE ABSOLUTE WORST VAN EVER. TRANSMISSION ..REPLACED, PCM REPLACED 4-TIMES... COLORADO RIVER FORD IN KINGMAN, ARIZONA, CLAIMED IF I DIDN'T REPLACE THE COWL (THAT LEAKED WATER INTO THE PCM, THEY COULDN'T GUARANTEE THE PCM... $500.00 THIS INCLUDED THE WIPER BLADE MOTOR THAT WORKED. WILL NEVER BUY A FORD AGAIN. TALKING ABOUT TAKING ADVANTAGE... TOOK ALMOST THREE WEEKS WITH EXCUSE... OH YEA THE TRANSMISSION WAS OVER $3500. WHAT SAY YOU COLORADO RIVER FORD IN KINGMAN ARIZONA... RIP-OFF EVERYONE WITH THEIR SCAMS. I WILL REPORT THEM TO FORD CORP. WILL THIS HELP/ RECALL SHUSH... DEALER DON'T TELL ANY OF THE CUSTOMERS.... MAKE THAT $$$$$ OFF THE STUPIDS.
  • kaulin7kaulin7 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    I have a 2005 freestar and my problems started the 1st week of March this year. I left home and got 1/4 mile and it stalls.I restart and it runs like crap and stalls and no reverse. Take it to the Ford dealership and he calls back later and says I need a new pcm (computer). So I say go ahead and orger it. a week later I get my van back. 4 weeks later my van is back in the shop with same problem. A week later and another computer (at thier cost) I get my van back. 6 weeks later I am back again. This time they give me a loaner car and keep mine 1 month. They kept it this long, so they say, to figure out why water is getting into the computer. Mid June I get my van back. 2nd week of August my van is back in the Ford shop. Aloaner car and 1 week later I have my van again. Last Sunday I went to use my van and it would not run, so Monday morning, Oct 17th, my van is back @ the Ford garage for the 5th time in 8 months. I've had enough!!! If you know of any lawsuits or petitions started i would gladly be a part of this!!
    Thank you,
    Randy Brault
  • bernice2bernice2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Ford Freestar and I am not very happy with it. Approximately 4 years ago while traveling on the highway we lost the torque converter, luckily enough it was still under warenty. To night November 2, 2011, the vehicle began giving me problems again. When I tried to go into someone's driveway, the engine just shut down, got it going again and parked the vehicle. On my return home it started ok but I didn't get very far when it shut off again. Her rpm's would riv a bit but she would only go about a foot or two and than she would shut off, when putting it in reverse it would give a big clunk and than shut off again. Totally discussed, can someone help me. I will not buy a ford again.
    thanks
  • memmad2memmad2 Member Posts: 4
    IN JULY2009 I BOUGHT A 2006 FORD FREESTAR BECAUSE I AM A FOSTER PARENT AND WANTED A SAFE CAR WELL I DIDN'T GET ONE ON 08-01-11 I WAS DRIVING NEAR MY HOME AND CAME TO A STOP LIGHT MY CAR DIDN'T STOP IT KEPT LUNGING FORWARD FORTUNATELY THE LIGHT CHANGED AND I TURNED AROUND AND CAME HOME AND SHUT OFF THE CAR TO STOP IT. I HAD IT TOWED TO THE FORD DEALERSHIP WHERE I PURCHASED IT .THE SERVICE CENTER CALLED THE NEXT DAY TO ASK IF I HAD DRIVEN IT INTO A LAKE? I SAID I HAD NOT NOR HAD I GONE POOL HOPPING WITH IT EITHER??? LATER THEY SAID THAT THERE WAS A TSB ON WATER IN THE TRANSMISSION WHAT HAD HAPPENED IS THAT RAINWATER HAD GONE DOWN A COWL INTO THE TRANSMISSION VENT AND INTO THE TRANSMISSION FLUID AND I WOULD NEED TO GET A NEW TRANSMISSION AND THEY WILL NOT PAY FOR IT NOR WOULD MY WARRANTY COMPANY AS IT WAS DUE TO WATER ??? FORD KNOWS THAT THEY MANUFACTURED THIS PART OR PARTS WRONG BUT THEY WON'T FIX IT UNLESS I PAY FOR THE REPAIRS THEY WANT $3,250 TO FIX THE TRANSMISSION AND THE ORIGINAL PROBLEM THAT CAUSED WATER TO BE ABLE TO GET INTO IT. I HAVE LOST WORK DUE TO HAVING NO CAR AND I HAVE BEEN WITHOUT A CAR SINCE AUGUST 1ST 2011 TODAY IS NOVEMBER 3RD 2011 AND FORD SERVICE CENTER IS STILL WAITING ON A TORK CONVERTOR FOR THE TRANSMISSION??? HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD PROBLEMS WITH WATER GETTING INTO THE TRANSMISSION FLUID? HAS ANYONE ANY INFORMATION ON HOW I CAN GET HELP ...JOIN A CLASS ACTION SUIT I TRIED ONE IN CONN.AND THEY SAID I HAD A DIFFERENT PROBLEM THAN THE ONE THEY WERE INVOLVED IN .PLEASE IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION I WOULD APPRECIATE IT THANKS
    I CALLED AND HAVE SPOKEN WITH PAM SHE HAS INFORMED ME THAT MY FORD TRANSMISSION TROUBLE > RAINWATER IN THE TRANSMISSION FLUID CAUSED BY WATER GOING DOWN A COWL INTO THE TRANSMISSION AND ITS FLUID IS NOT INCLUDED IN THEIR CASE WHERE DO I GO TO GET INCLUDED IN A CLASS ACTION SUIT AGAINST FORD FOR THEIR SHODDY MANUFACTURING PRACTICES? THANKS TO ANY AND ALL WHO MAY HAVE SOME ANSWERS FOR ME.
  • rippedoff14rippedoff14 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    I, too, had a transmission failure on my 2007 Ford Freestar. Quit on me in a busy intersection (at 80,000 miles; the warranty goes to 60,000 miles) . I bought the car used so there wasn't a warranty available.

I took it to a very reputable transmission shop and spent $3,900 (which I had to put on a credit card)--they told me I need to replace the radiator AND transmission, as the radiator was leaking into the transmission. I had checked with the Ford dealer but they told me they couldn't offer any financial assistance because I had purchased it used and not new. They also told me their financial assistance program was based on Ford "loyalty" (how many previous Fords I had owned, whether I used the Ford dealer for repairs). But it is kind of a chicken and egg situation--I had never had a Ford before this van because it has a poor reputation, but then they had a chance to earn my loyalty by paying to fix a known problem and they didn't. Why would I buy Ford again?
  • motheyemotheye Member Posts: 17
    Been reading carefully all the Freestar transmission problems--and now I have mine. No symptoms, well kept, fluids changes, all good (bought it new). Pulling out of driveway last week and won't go into any gear--forward or reverse. Prayed it was a linkage problem but not to be. Ford dealer at first thinks its the PCM board getting wet--but not that. They believe its the transmission and only thing to do is rebuild and find out what broke ($2400 with all diagnostics). Or, buy a rebuilt for $3200. Service guys just casually give me my two options and told me this is rare--followed by my laughter. Ford really should be ashamed given so many of the exact same complaints.
  • heartlanderheartlander Member Posts: 4
    FWIW I purchased a 2005 Mercury Monterey with 90,000 miles about a year ago before I found this site. Concerned about trans/converter failure during a long trip we planned, I decide to have the transmission fluid changed to find out one thing - whether there was any indication of upcoming failure. I asked the mechanic to carefully examine the old tranny fluid for metal particles - certainly an indicator of damage and potential failure. No metal particles found. This might be a method to determine upcoming failure.
    Any mechanics out there see any reason this doesn't make sense?
  • msphawkinsmsphawkins Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 ford freestar as well it only has 57,000 miles on and gave no warnings of indications that the tranny was about to go. Anyway I was on my way back home from school and stop at a light at an intersection, when the light turned green to go my van moved a little and then left me stranded in the middle of the intersection on a busy highway. Being a mechanic I find it very unusual for the transmission to go out at this low of a mileage on any. vehicle. I take care of my car like it should be but it did not help with this design issue on Fords behalf
  • drayke13drayke13 Member Posts: 1
    Not sure if we have had the same problem, but our 2006 Freestar seems to act up when it is raining now too. We had problems with other minivans from other companies so we finally went with a new van hoping there wouldn't be any issues, but that wasn't the case... We have had many issues and have had it back in the dealership many many times but they muraculously couldn't find anything wrong... Now this is a new thing, it seems to run very ruff, almost a chugging feeling when its raining. Paying alot of money for this vehicle & tired of the headaches. Know wonder why Ford stopped making vans...
  • emdiggemdigg Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

How did this turn out for you? My 2005 Freestar with 51K miles failed last Saturday. The problem was found to the torque converter pump shaft. The converter has been replaced and now I have check transaxle light and check engine light on. The dealer says my PCM has moisture in it.

Any advice on what to do with the PCM?

Thanks! - Mike D
    My Van is still sitting in my driveway, I have read that in many cases even after repairing the PCM or converter, the car died again less than a year later, obviously is the Ford parts that are faulty. I have purchased a new car, not a Ford, and plan on fixing the Van next year and selling it privately. I am so disgusted with Ford and still have a few payments on it.
  • sgray1sgray1 Member Posts: 1
    I read your story about your Freestar. My girlfriend has the exact same van and I thought to myself, what is this guy doing driving my girlfriends van? Your problems are 100% identical to ours. Unbelievable!
  • stachia4426stachia4426 Member Posts: 1
    On my way home from work during rush hour stop and go traffic my (deathtrap of a van) decided to create a dangerous situation for me. Let me pain this pretty picture, Rt 42 South, through a construction zone (which is a deathtrap in and of itself) heading toward Rt 55 all the way in the right lane next to the cattle shoots. Stop and go, noticed the RPM shooting up and the car not really going anywhere. Let off the gas then proceeded with the same response. As the lanes started to move faster, I didn't. The speed limit is 65 (we all know that is not what people travel at) but me in my mom van was only able to do 35 - 40 with the engine screaming. I pulled over several times, tried the trick of shift down into 3rd, didn't work. I had first and second gear but no third. I had to travel on this god forsaken road with my hazard lights on and only doing 35 mph with people passing me and honking.

I make it to the daycare to pick up my one child and the car will not go into reverse. I had to put it in drive then in reverse.

Also, I have been having this issue where it seems to studder at 40-45MPH and the whole car shakes. I had to follow my husband with the hazard lights on when we took it to the transmission place. He had it for a week, said he hooked it up to the computer and there was an error that he cleared, drove the car for 3 days and couldn't get it to do what it did to me. He said I still have the studder, he has no idea what that is but to drive it until it happens again. He also mentioned that this is a known problem with these vehicles.

I will be getting in touch with the lawyers for the class action suit.

Doesn't FORD realize this is a minivan - families are in these every single day. Do they really want this on their hands if a family is seriously injured or worse? It amazes me that these huge companies don't really care about the little people, they just want there big fat bonuses at the end of the year.

When is enough, enough!? I don't know about all of you but I am sick and tired of being taken advantage of, taken for granted and lied to!

Fix the problem or the problem will fix you! You need to re-evaluate your best business practices and customer service policies and procedures.

Fords we have owned in the past:
    Freestar - horrible
    Focus - had a transmission problem
    Bronco - 2
    91 mustang
    95 Cobra
    F350
    F250
    F150 - 2
    Ranger
    Escort - caught fire

We have always been a ford family - this will be changing.
  • xtremeandrewxtremeandrew Member Posts: 4
    2005 - 80K miles, all previous maintenance done by Ford. Shot Transmission just 3-4 weeks ago. 1st it all of a sudden started running terrible, then lost reverse by the time AAMCO started working on it. AAMCO came and got it for free. Ultimately had it rebuilt, running fine now with a 3yr warranty, $2200 later. AAMCO says water had leaked down into the computer area on the front passenger side (just under the rt. corner dash), and they had to re-harness the computer as part of the diag to rid the computer of check engine alerts.. whatever, they fixed it (it seems). Had it towed again a wk later due to failed TPS sensor. 1st FORD TPS sensor failed, 2nd FORD TPS Sensor working, so far.. Hopefully, it'll last me another year. Oh yeah, had the A/C replaced about 6 months ago. I'll be back to this forum later, when I have a chance to read through.....
  • xtremeandrewxtremeandrew Member Posts: 4
    oh, and just took it to Ford for an 80K mile check up. All good they say. I asked about the transmission problems, the guys said "All Transmissions fail eventually". I said, "yeah, but at 80K miles?" He said, "yes, even so, and told me to go ask Toyota bout their trans problem experiences"...

I've owned many types of vehicles over 120K miles, including Toyotas, don't recall ever having such transmission problems with any of those, especially at 80K miles...
  • im4luvim4luv Member Posts: 3
    Just had my Freestar towed to the shop. I was on the interstate doing 70 when the motor started racing, but losing speed. Pulled over to the side as far as I could. I tried all gears, but none worked. Called AAA for a tow truck to take me back home. Tow bill was $90 and have not heard yet from the shop as to what the problem is, but guessing by posts here it is either the PCM or the transmission or both. If Ford does not take care of all these bad transmissions, its time to start a petition on www.change.org to if something can get done. I just paid my van off in August and cannot afford to replace it or even fix it at this time, first brand new Ford I have ever bought. My brother built Fords for the Claycomo plant in Missouri for many years. He is probably turning over in his grave to see how Ford treats its customers. I have had Fords all my life and it is time to buy something else.
  • alexg8alexg8 Member Posts: 1
    I have had this van 3 weeks , from a NY used car dealer, my first time with this transmission problem was on the thanksgiving weekend, I returned the van to the dealer because is covered for 60 days or 3000 miles warranty, they said is fixed. It was running perfect until yesterday the experience was worst than before, began taking the exit from the highway, I was lucky, blocking traffic and being insulted is not painful, could be worst. I want to Know is this temporary or persistent problem?
    Thanks
  • im4luvim4luv Member Posts: 3
    I got a call from my mechanic, he said it is my transmission and it will cost me $2800 for a Jasper rebuilt transmission with 100,000 mile warranty. I had no prior knowledge of the issues with the Freestar transmissions and mine gave me no warning, it just went out. It only had 63,000 miles on it and was well taken care of. I am keeping all my paperwork in regards to this incident in case Ford ever owns up to the problem and compensates its customers. I wish I had of sold my Freestar when I had the chance.
  • dxcbostondxcboston Member Posts: 2
    ABout a month ago, I received a call from the NHTSA following up on my complaint. He essentially wanted to hear first hand what the issue was. I only needed to say "Without warning and while engine still running the transmission gave out." He said that's exactly what he's hearing from others and told me to keep our $1,700.00 receipt for transmission work in the event there is a recall.

I'm glad they followed up and feel good about the potential reimbursement.
    so sorry to hear of your problems as for the update on my ford freestar well I finally got it back on November 11 th after it had been in the shop since August 1st it cost me 3300.00 less than I had expected but I still say Ford was responsible for the repairs .... so...I was on the road to a friends house when the engine light went on and stayed on solid light so I called the service center at Ford dealership where I bought the car the next day and he said that if I had gotten gas the gas cap may have not been put back on all the way or twisted or something >? I should not worry as it might just be that the computer chip in the car thinks something is wrong with the engine and I should just check the gas cap and drive the car for a while and it should reset and the light will go off.... I did and I am driving the car and I am wondering when the engine will fall out .....................................I have a loan out to pay for having bought this headache in the first place and now I am paying for the repairs and I should not worry ????? I wish you well my fellow Ford van owners but more to the point I wish us all justice and the way to recoup our losses and feel safe on the road ahead I know for myself it will take me years to pay this van but when it is, I will dump this thing and never get a Ford again
  • gcarlson1gcarlson1 Member Posts: 1
    The transmission on my 2006 Freestart just failed a few weeks ago. I only had 60K miles and was less than 1 month out of warranty. Now I'm on the hook for a new transmission for over $3,000. I had experienced twice in the past the van would randomly "lunge" forward out of nowhere. It only happened twice before and there were no warning signs leading up to or after. Of course bringing it in to have the technician look at it they couldn't reproduce the random symptoms and didn't even bother to check the transmission for issues. Then all of a sudden one day I'm at a stop light. I hit the gas and the engine revs (making a terrible noise) but the van doesn't move. Technician says there are metal shavings in the pan everywhere and it's not worth repairing. I only found this to be a widespread issue after it happened to me and I started searching and found I'm not the only one. Hopefully they get enough complaints for a recall. I know I'm not done complaining yet.
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news but compaints will go nowhere. I tried several times, dealer doesnt care, Class action suit was dismissed. I havent fixed mine yet, bought a Honda Accord instead. May fix it this spring and sell it privately. 2000 pund paperwieght in my driveway and Im pissed.
  • ford4lifeazford4lifeaz Member Posts: 1
    Anytime someone says the first thing they are going to do is sue a company, I have doubts. Did you take you vehicle to Ford dealership and have them look at the problem, or are you just going off what one person says? You have to remember, all vehicles break down. They are machines. Does that mean that companies should not be help responsible for known defaults? No. Did this mechanic you took it to, did he tell you if their was a recall on the transmission? Did you contact Ford yourself (a dealership) and checked to see if there is a service bulletin on this make and model? Again, anytime someone goes straight to "I will be getting in touch with the lawyers for the class action suit." that throws up red flags. First of all, why a class action? You know that lets just say you do win a class action lawsuit, the amount of money you receive will be very minimal. The lawyers get the majority of it. I have owned nothing but Ford's my whole life, starting with a Ford LTD and currently I have a Focus. The problems I have had with all my vehicles have been routine maintenance issues or issue dealing with high mileage of the vehicle. What are the miles on your Freestar? The last Freestar came out in Nov. of 2006 so you vehicle is going to at least be 5 years old, so I am going to guess and say over 100 thousand miles. Did you buy it brand new, or used? If used, do you know the maintenance history of it? If new, have you been doing the the required maintenance at the scheduled intervals? Did you know that there is a transmission flush on just about all Fords between 100 and 120,000 miles that needs to be done? (It is in the manual that came with your car when you bought it, if brand new). You can not put the 100 percent blame on Ford if (and I am guessing by the fact you so want to sue someone) you never once took your vehicle in to have the services down which are required to be done. I see you claim to of owned a lot of Fords in your life, so you should of know (or should know about) Ford's maintenance intervals. I believe they are pretty slandered through most of their fleet. I am guessing you are the type of person that would sue Big O or some other tire company if you got a flat. If you do not like Ford so much than quite buying them, quite complaining about them. I am going to call BS on your situation, I am sure it may of happened, but you are not telling the full story. And again, I am just guessing... ;)

15 years ASE Ford Technician
    NOT SURE IF YOU ARE SENDING THIS ME BIG MOUTH....I NEVER THREATENED TO SUE.....I TOOK IT TO THE DEALER AND THEY CLAIMED THEYWERE NOT AWARE OF ANY TROUBLE WITH THIS MODEL INSPITE OF THE FACT THAT HUNDREDS IF NOT THOUSANDS HAVE EXPERIENCED THE SAME TROUBLE WITH UNDER 100K MILES.......THEY CHECKED IF IT WAS ELECTRICAL AND RULED THAT OUT AND CHARGED ME $200...I HAD NO INTENTION OF LETTING THEM CHARGE ME 3 GRAND TO FIX IT. I WILL DO THAT PRIVATELY...I LEARNED OF THE CLASS ACTION FROM THIS BOARD AND THE CLASS ACTION WAS DISMISSED. FORD SUCKS AND YOU ARE AN IDIOT FOR CONTINUING TO BUY FROM THEM. YOU TOO WILL GET BURNED SOME DAY.
  • misty10misty10 Member Posts: 23
    You're kidding right???? I've owned Fords and haven't had any problems...UNTIL the FREESTAR! My torque converter keeps going out and my husband is a mechanic...so spare me the maintenance crap. I need you to explain on how ALL OF US experienced the same problem. Yes, there has been articles written about this problem with the Freestar so maybe you had better catch up. The only logical thing I see here with you is you must be a kid...20 something??? First job maybe???? So, please start reading on page 1....and get back to me and explain on how this wasn't a design flaw on Ford's part???? Also at OUR EXPENSE!!! So come on now...start reading and get back to us....ALL OF US that is!
  • sjtdadsjtdad Member Posts: 11
    to the 15 year ASE Ford Technician,
    First of all, allow me to say I posted my situation on this board nearly 2 years ago and have posted nothing since. However, I saw yours and I thought it needed a response. I too am an ASE certified tech, for almost 30 years. I have a college degree in automotive technology. I have been a Ford owner all my life: Pinto, Mustang, Torino, LTD, F-100, F-150, Ranger, Aerostar, Bronco II, Mercury Monterey, Fairlane 500, Cougar XR-7, maybe more. I will buy Fords again. I have never had any major problems with a Ford before--water pumps, a starter or two, a heater core maybe--otherwise just maintenance stuff that I've done right by the book. Fords have done great by me...Until my Freestar. I still love this van: the space, the seating, the power, the looks. It's a 2005 SES. I bought it new and gave it great care, it got maintenance at the dealer right by the book. As for the transmission, it got it serviced at 34,000 miles just as recommended by Ford. At 52,000 miles the torque converter shaft disintegrated, sending metal throughout the tranny, destroying everything. The dealer claimed total ignorance of any problems with this tranny at all, which I found later to be a lie. I paid $3400 for a rebuilt Ford tranny in order to get the 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty. The van now has 81,000 miles on it. This transmission has always rolled backwards on even the slightest hill, yet they say there is no problem, normal they say. Sorry Mr. 15 Year Tech, but we are not all boobs out here. We are not all out to sue Ford, we just want the truth. We have done the proper maintenance. We do know what we are talking about. I have loved Fords and will buy Fords again BUT, BUT this transmission in this van is JUNK, is a bad design, and should be recalled. I do know what I'm talking about. I was doing this 15 years before you were, probably driving Fords when you were in kindergarten, so don't pontificate to me. Why don't you 'fess up about all the Freestar transmissions you've been paid to replace or repair?
  • nadinebnadineb Member Posts: 190
    Thank you for your well stated comments.

Ford is quite aware of the situation with these vans, but refuses to take corrective action. I believe that those who travel in these vans risk their life or the life of others. A vehicle should be road safe, but these vehicle fail without any warning leaving those in them in jeopardy.

Children should not be in these vans. Your family should not be in these vans. Ford should take corrective action, but if they do not, NHTSA needs to make them do the right and just corrective action. Lawsuits seem to be the only action that this company understands. Ford had made the statement," It's cheaper to let them crash and burn," in regards to the Pinto. I believe that the are appling the same police to these vehicles.

Accountablity even in the corporate world should be the standard. Not corporate greed. If this was the FDA or any other government agency, we would expect corrective action.

Personally, I will never own another Ford vehicle. If Chevy or any other vehicle manufacturer produced such an unsafe vehicle, I would certainly expect high safety standards from them. I feel that Ford has placed their customers and their families at risk.
  • bxhighlandbxhighland Member Posts: 2
    You are not alone! My second transmission just got installed today and they mentioned thT they found trace of water in the transmission. They asked if I have had any problems with the radiator or had it replaced recently. My van has 137k miles but has been well maintained as long as I have had it. The first was replaced at 109k the summer before last. I have been in the mechanical field for the better part of my life up until 8 years ago so I know how to maintain and care for a car. There will be a complaint call to the NHTSA tomorrow. This will actually be my second call in two weeks. My first was a safety issue regarding the rear bench seat locks bars on the walls of the van. The left hook I found recently is about 80% completely rusted off at the base behind the panel. So bad that when I grab it, it wobbles all over. It has completely rusted through only on the one side where I can see the ground plain as day! I called Ford about the issue and they could have cared less because it is 8 years old and out of warantee. Built ford tough huh? Good luck.
  • bxhighlandbxhighland Member Posts: 2
    In fact, the first transmission went out when we were on the interstate coming home from vacation and we were five hours from home. Out of nowhere the transmission just went. My wife went to accelerate and it jsut acted as if it were in nuetral. So we were now stuck with our three kids and unfamiliar territory. I was to be back to work the next day and I am the only income in the house. Luckily I had some sick time to use and my older brother lived 2 hours away. We were able to stay there for the rest of the week while a shop replaced the transmission. I am with the above gentleman, NEVER BUYING ANOTHER FORD AGAIN!! Especially after the way their customer support team handles customers. Why even have that department. Just don't answer the phone.
  • unfordunatelyunfordunately Member Posts: 5
    It's been just about 1 year since the second torque converter failure on my 05 and since I posted on this forum. Both failures gave absolutely no warning and both times I was carrying kids - the second time on the interstate late at night far from home.

I wanted to respond to let everybody know that the NHTSA investigation of this failure is still open (EA09016), and to strongly encourage you, if you haven't already, to file a complaint with the Office of Defect Investigations! The more complaints on record the better the chances of a proper resolution.

As of November 2011, Ford has supplied the requested data, so now the NHTSA is looking it over.

BTW - Never buying a Ford again!
  • hohmanvanhohmanvan Member Posts: 3
    It seems like at least 2-3 times a week someone new posts a story of what happened to them!

Mine was in August 2010. Tranny failed, going 70mph in heavy traffic in Maine, 15 hours from home. Didn't get my van back for 37 days. Over $3,700.00 to repair. Then in the Spring, the computer module went out about 3 times, which was a normal design flaw in the thing. My mechanic talked to his friend who works at a local Ford Dealer's service dept., and the guy says he fixes about 3 of those per month! That cost a total of about another 500+ bucks. Van has been running well since then, but I have passed a year and 3 months through the 3-year, 100,000 mile warantee on the new tranny. It's amazing that this is still going on - I wonder when the NHTSA will get this resolved...
  • monterey06monterey06 Member Posts: 1
    Same thing happened to me with my Monterey(Mercury Freestar clone). I lucky to have had a safe place to stop and I did not have my kids in the car. I had the converter replaced, I just hope the transmission flush got all the metal from the failed gear. I have put a complaint in with the NHTSA I hope Ford stands up and provides some type of help here.
  • knowjuanknowjuan Member Posts: 1
    Ford has issued a recall on the Freestar transmission torque converters. More information is available the NHTSA public website, www.safercar.gov, under Recalls. You can use the recall number, 12V006000, or search by recalls issued in January 2012, or by Ford Freestar vehicles for model years 2004 and 2005.
    Under the "Vehicle Owners" tab at the website there is a link to a booklet, "Investigation and Recall Process Booklet: The purpose of this booklet is to answer the most commonly asked questions about complaints, investigations, and recalls, and to inform consumers of their rights and responsibilities when a vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment is recalled."
  • ftfclubftfclub Member Posts: 14
    Do you know anything about the 2006 Freestar being recalled for the same problem? I spent 3000.00 for a new transmission...with the same exact problem as the 2004 and 2005! Thank you
  • motheyemotheye Member Posts: 17
    Hope someone can help me out. 2004 Freestar, same thing happened to me a month ago. Going down the road, just stopped, couldn't go in any gear forward or reverse. Towed to Ford dealer and after charging me a few hundred bucks to check the main board (thought it might be water) they decided it was the transmission. Rebuild the transmission with a bill that had a single line item "rebuilt transmission-$2800". No details on exactly what it was. They did not mention the torque converter. So, while I was hoping for Ford to do something it looks like the are recalling the torque converter. Was my problem truly just the transmission? Given the exact same story/event as everyone else--it seems like my problem falls into this same category. Not a mechanic--any suggestions on questions I should ask? Was my problem a case of something that just broke in the transmission that is unrelated to all these complaints?
    Hmmm, guess my question would be about the same at motheye's - the service tech told us at the time that our problem was the torque converter, replaced our whole transmission at $3000, but don't remember if he specifically wrote "torque converter" on receipt. Will have to check that.

Also - I was reading the information in the booklet, and it indicates that you can possibly be reimbursed if you have already replaced the torque converter. However, if I am reading it right - it's only for one year prior to the manufacturer's date of notification. We had to replace ours in March 2009. Looks like we are just out of luck. :-( Oh well, hopefully this recall will help others to not endure what we have. I am taking my vehicle to the shop this afternoon because the transmssion has started jerking really bad. If they tell me I need a new transmission, this will be my fourth in this van. Yes, I plan to get rid of it soon as I can!!