Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
    FORD / FREESTAR 2004-2005
    MERCURY / MONTEREY 2004-2005
    Manufacturer: FORD MOTOR COMPANY Mfr's Report Date: JAN 04, 2012
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 12V006000 NHTSA Action Number: EA09016
    Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:TORQUE CONVERTER
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 205,896
    Summary:
    FORD IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2004 AND 2005 FORD FREESTAR AND MERCURY MONTEREY VEHICLES. THE TORQUE CONVERTER OUTPUT SHAFT MAY FAIL.
    Consequence:
    THIS CONDITION RESULTS IN A SUDDEN LOSS OF MOTIVE POWER WITH NO WARNING, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
    Remedy:
    FORD WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE TORQUE CONVERTER FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN IN THE SECOND CALENDAR QUARTER OF 2012. OWNERS MAY CONTACT THE FORD MOTOR COMPANY CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP CENTER AT 1-866-436-7332.
    Notes:
    FORD'S RECALL CAMPAIGN NUMBER IS 11S25. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
  • ftfclubftfclub Member Posts: 14
    Just got off the phone with Ford.....they are NOT recalling the 2006 Freestar....that
    has the identical transmission/torque converter problem as the 2004-2005. UNBELIEVABLE!
    Will NEVER buy another Ford automobile!
  • pissedoff11pissedoff11 Member Posts: 5
    So glad they have owned up to this problem with the years 2004-2005. Upset becasue they still have not owned up to the problem with the higher years. I have a 2007 that had a faulty torque converter. We paid out 2400.00 for a new one. Lets hope they will do this for all the vehicles! I truly hope we are next!!!!!!!!! Antone with this year and higher please fill a complaint with the highway safety, ford, attorney general! They need to pay for ours too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
    We are in the same boat as you. We own a 2007! With the same problem! I have filed a complaint with FORD, national highway safety, attorney general and the national trade! Lets hope we are next!!!!!!!! :mad:
  • bobmerlinbobmerlin Member Posts: 1
    Ford is recalling 2004 & 2005 Ford Freestars to replace the TORQUE CONVERTER! Replacement won't happen until spring as parts aren't available. Does this mean they're making NEW converters? They need to!
    I was hoping to sell my 2005...this makes it a little more difficult!
  • coneflower1coneflower1 Member Posts: 15
    We also had a 2006 fail to the tune of $3000. How can they not recall those vehicles as well? Maybe it will be done by VIN numbers? I would think it will certainly strengthen the case for a lawsuit when someone in the later model ends up injured or killed. These are FAMILY vehicles for heaven's sake. When ours failed it was my husband, myself and our 2 kids.
    Financially we can't sell the vehicle so we're riding in an accident waiting to happen. Nice job Ford. The commercials stating Quality is JOb 1 makes me ill. I guess we have to remain hopeful. Thanks to those who posted the news so quickly and congrats to those 2004-2005 owners who have suffered.
  • theroachstheroachs Member Posts: 1
    same thing here. 90000 miles, on the interstate, then nothing. dealer wanted $2400 - 2700. transmission shop next door $700. "it's a commom problem with these".
  • gonebowlinggonebowling Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 ford freestar and the transmission went out last year the Transmission shop said the converter went out and we had to rebuild the transmission because it had metal shavings through out the transmission costing me $2700. It looks like alot of people are having the same problem as me.
  • glowmomnmyglowmomnmy Member Posts: 1
    Ford issued a recall--- it's pathetic that they took years after the investigation was announced by the NHTSA. Your comments lack the knowledge of what it is like to be driving 60mph on the highway when the Freestar lunges forward, slips out of gear and dies. Don't "guess" about what it is like to be in someone elses crappy Freestar. The fact that Ford marketed this as a family vehicle makes me think they would be ok if our families were injured in crashes or left in the middle of busy highways waiting on a tow truck. I call that gross negligence. If it takes owners of this vehicle to scream lawsuit to make Ford fix their issues, then I'm all for it. Oh wait- that IS what it took, because Ford didn't care to respond until the lawsuits made the press and NHTSA said "enough."
    Call the Ford Corporate Headquarters and complain......I called yesterday, the number is 313-322-3000. The Ford Freestar was marketed to families, women, and children....how Ford can
    knowing leave the owners/families in harms way is beyond me. If I had the time....I would drive this vehicle to the Ford's Headquarters.....and return the DEATH TRAP to them and turn over the keys................actually...we should all set a date..contact the media and show up at the headquarters and return the cars.........the entire situation is criminal

I WANT a refund of 3000.00 for the new transmission so.....I can use it as a down payment for a new van................I can NOT in good conscience turn around and sell this car.....to a unsuspecting family or dealership
  • angrytooangrytoo Member Posts: 5
    I found the recall last night and was very disappointed. 2-3 months ago i was with my 3 kids and doing about 60 when my 2006 Ford Freestar just died. showed not ONE sign anything was wrong. No lights came on, nothing smelled burnt. It finally restarted and i very nervously continued on my way. Never happened again. Right after Christmas, went to get in the van to go to the store and it will not go into reverse or drive. Just sits there and idles.
    My boyfriend had a buddy come down and hook it up to a smaller version of what the garages have to look for a diagnostic code. This gave us no codes and said nothing was wrong. But again, it wasn't the big expensive one garages have. Which is our next step.
    Was going to go back to work and now can't. Odd part is, the day it sh*t the bed was the same dad my boyfriend came home with a car so i could have the van back. Go figure. :( Off to make calls.
  • akachasakachas Member Posts: 5
    Anybody find out anything about reimbursement after the fact? 04 Freestar; blown tranny replaced in '09; traded van '10. Just called Ford and they instructed me to take my receipts to the dealer to inquire about reimbursement. Is there a cut-off date? Also, I punched-in my VIN here and, so far, all I get is a message "2004 Ford Freestar - Currently, there are no listed recalls for your vehicle."
  • lyssfrgrlyssfrgr Member Posts: 5
    Same thing here! I called Ford as well! Our 2006 freestar BELONGS in that recall. We have owned it for 17 weeks. It has been in the shop 4 times totaling 12 weeks of us being stuck in a rental! I called the law firm who handled the 04-05 lawsuit and asked them if anything can be done about the later models. She didn't sound surprised and gave me the number to a law firm in Alabama. I am waiting for a call back tomorrow. Maybe they have started another class action lawsuit? I will find out tomorrow. All I know is that I will NOT let this go. Ford needs to take responsibility for ALL models with this hazardous defect. Not just the ones that have had major accidents
    Please post additional information about the possible lawsuit....we would like to join in to..........not letting this go either
  • philvidphilvid Member Posts: 8
    It was about f....... time !!!
    I already replaced the trans last year (2010). I'm waiting for the recall letter and I really hope that they will pick-up the bill ! Piece of junk !
    Please let us all know about the '06's. It's BS. My dad said even though we have an '06 it STILL could have an '05 motor in it and should be on the recall also.
    Please post any phone numbers and info you have. I really appreciate it.
  • dxgeneration11dxgeneration11 Member Posts: 1
    I just noticed on Friday night that my cruise control switch is just flashing and not staying on, in September my odometer went out my mileage when it last worked was at 145,000. And then just the other day I seen the Recall on yahoo, and then I called my local ford dealership. And they told me that I have to wait until I receive a notice in the mail. And to top it off they had the incorrect address, which I fixed of course. I just hope this Recall Problem is fixed in the next few months.
  • jccrawfordjccrawford Member Posts: 18
    I just called the dealership where I was told to take my receipts for reimbursement. The manager told me they still have no idea how everything is going to work and I needed to call corporate again. I called again, and they are now telling me we can't get reimbursed until we are notified of the recall AND that Ford may want to replace the torque converter even if we've already had the trans replaced. I specifically asked if they would reimburse us for the whole transmission being replaced, being that it was a result of the torque converter, and I was told, "that shouldn't be a problem." I also asked what to do if the trans fails again & was told to take it to the dealership and they will handle it. We'll see.
  • motheyemotheye Member Posts: 17
    Sounds like we are in the same boat. Same exact failure as everyone else--but the dealership simply said "needs a new transmission'. "Torque converter" was never mentioned. I'm expecting someone to say my transmission failure was not related to this torque converter issue--and I'm not sure how to respond yet. My invoice for the transmission simply states "rebuild transmission, $2800" (including a $300 charge just to check the main board for water!). Any suggestions are welcome.
  • nadinebnadineb Member Posts: 190
    Check out this web page.
    http://www.lemon-law-types.com/Vehicle-Recalls.html

Reimbursements on Repairs

If your car is recalled after you’ve already paid for repairs you may be entitled to a reimbursement. Manufacturers must reimburse owners for repairs caused by the defect if the repairs were made within the year prior to the recall. Once the recall is made, and the manufacturers have sent out their last recall notices, you have 10 days to notify the manufacturer of your repairs. You will however need documentation of the repair – so be sure to keep your receipts!
    I called Ford today and put in a complaint on my 2006 that had the tranny crap out. They said to take your receipts to your Ford dealer OR submit them to the home off ice Deerborn, MI for reimbursement.
    Also, ANYONE who has a 2006 that has the same problems as the 04 and 05 needs to call Ford and complain. I was told the recalls are decided by the engineering dept and its based on the number of complaints and your vehicle. He also told me not all 04's and 05's were recalled. It was based on the info that comes up with your VIN number.
    2006b owners call Ford today and submit your complaint!!! 313-322-3000
  • gefrapnogefrapno Member Posts: 1
    Our 2006 Freestar had the same problem. The torque converter blew up as our whole family of 4 was crossing a Missouri River bridge in St. Louis. We had no power and no place to turn off. We were traveling for XMAS and had car full of gifts and luggage. I was scared we were going to get hit in the rear as we were coasting to the next off ramp. Lots of people honked and gave us the finger as they went by. Did they thing we planned for the transmission to shell out right there going 75 mph?. Transmission had to be rebuilt. No financial help from Ford. They told me I should have purchased an extended warranty. Sorry but I figured the transmission would last more that about 60,000 miles. I was wrong. I filed a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Board. Lots of good it did. The recall for 04 and 05 models says "THIS CONDITION RESULTS IN A SUDDEN LOSS OF MOTIVE POWER WITH NO WARNING, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH." I guess if the same thing happens in an 06 it doesn't?
  • carranoacarranoa Member Posts: 7
    I called Ford customer service today about my 2006 that the transmission went in 2010. She said that they have had other 2006 owners calling in with the transmission going and Ford is looking into it. She told me that as of now 2006's aren't in the recall but to call the NTHSB and ask to be added into the recall. I've filed a complaint with them back in 2010 and an investigator contacted me for more information for the but when I contacted him when the recall came out he told me to contact Ford. I'm hoping that the 2006 models are added on and I get some reimbursement for the new $3300 transmission I had no choice but to replace. Fords SUCK!
  • xtremeandrewxtremeandrew Member Posts: 4
    2005 Freestar - No Recalls listed for this VIN on the FORD Website. The Van is back in the shop again, 1 month later after a complete transmission rebuild by aamco, leaking oil/transmission fluid, slipping 2nd to 3rd gear on occassions. They've had it for a week, and agreed to tear it down and rebuild it again 3 days ago.... Thank goodness for the warranty they gave me, but I'm almost to the point of demanding my money back (van fixed or not).
  • ansassansass Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had any luck with the 2006. Mine died last night in the highway with 3 kids in the car. Towed to Ford dealer and the torque converter needs to be replaced for only $1700. My vehicle is not included in the 2004/2005 recall. If this is happening to you please call and fill a complaint with the NHST board. Also go to safercar.com and file a complaint. There are 36 complaints as of right now on there, mine will make 37. Please file your compaints so we can all get our cars fixed or reimbursed. Ford needs to recall the 2006 Freestars.
    I have filed a complaint and called ford. I just picked up my car an hour ago. Same issues, same bull. Replaced coils, spark plugs, blah blah blah. My van has the same symptoms included in the recall for the 04-05. Ford needs to go by symptoms, NOT by year!
    I called again to file a compliant with Ford and the national highway safety! I have a 2007 that had the same problem. No warning just lost all power to vehicle on a very busy road! I hope they recall this soon. $2300.00 paid out that we did not have!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :cry: :confuse: :sick:
  • paulflovillagapaulflovillaga Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    The same with our transmission ~ Sudden loss of all gears!

After reading all the complaints, the 2006 Freestar MUST BE INCLUDED in the recall.

Additional problems: Power steering leak, PCM failure, Coolant loss, front windshield weatherstripping, fuel gauge not calibrated correctly, persistent tire pressure warning

Ford Built Lemon ... $2300 versus $2800 at two, Ford dealers?!!
  • paulflovillagapaulflovillaga Member Posts: 2
    I posted at the time our transmission went out ... no word from whatever gov't agency ....
    We, too, have the tire pressure issue. Our vehicle's most persistent malfunction is it bucking. Since we bought our 2006, when first beginning to accelerate, it sounds almost like a diesel truck. It is very low and rumbles like a truck would. This happened whether or not the car is going to malfunction or not. When the malfunction happens (which if we are lucky won't happen for a few weeks), the van will begin to buck/jerk and the check engine light will begin to flash. The shop keeps replacing spark plugs, coils, etc. The other persistant issue is, of course, the loss of power. Without prior notice, the car just turns off while driving. Sometimes while driving the van, it will feel like it is trying to stall (if that makes any sense). Then, as soon as I come to a stop, the thing just loses power. Unfortunately, everyone I have talked to said in no way is an 06 able to be included in the recall. So basically what they are saying is that because not enough owners of 2006 Freestars crashed and/or complained, those of us with the exact same defect don't matter. That disappoints me so much!
  • grange44grange44 Member Posts: 1
    news gets better , the freestar 2005 has an issue with water leaking onto the seal of the computer , it degrades then the computer is cooked . If you have this issue look for weird codes that come up that make no sense .It was then that i found out that alot of people have had this happen to them . I have contacted ford to see if they will come good for it
    I have the same problem with my 2006. Ford stated that the water entry into the pcm is a customer satisfaction issue. They are so wrong for leaving the customers to their own defenses when they are at fault for all of these problems
    Keep pushing. It took hundreds of complaints to get the first recall. Same problems with our -4. Transmission of course; PCM board water leak problem two years ago; power steering pump blew on long trip home--threw oil all over both front brakes--requiring not only new power steering but brakes, calipers, and everything else that got oil soaked.
  • ansassansass Member Posts: 2
    to update on our status, my vehicle is now looking like it will be getting reposessed due to I can't afford to pay for all the repairs. My first bill for torque converter $1700. Now that is not the only issue, because of metal shavings from that the transmission is now shot, Another $2800+ in repairs. What is a family supposed to do? Looks like my car will be sitting at the shop until the bank comes to get it because I just cant dish out over $4000 to get the repairs done for faulty ford products. If anyone is interested in trying to take some legal action please let me know. I am definately interested.
  • anabelanabel Member Posts: 21
    The new transmission that you put will have the same torque converter the old one had. It's not a fix, it's a cover. It will break too. That is what happened to us. They told us that only the specified products that Ford suggests to be replaced is what it can be replaced with ever if it is a faulty product. So you are not out of the woods with the new transmission. FYI! In otherwords, they can't replace it with a TC that will not break. It has to have the same one from Ford. Which is BS.
  • heartlanderheartlander Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone heard what, if any, the warranty will be on this repair?
  • camelknees33camelknees33 Member Posts: 9
    I count myself blessed to have gotten rid of this pile of junk! I got myself an American made Toyota Camry, and I can already tell you it was the best decision of my life getting rid of my dangerous Ford Freestar. I am a single mom, and I have been stranded too many times and with NO HELP FROM FORD! I will never, and I repeat, NEVER, buy another Ford. I have loved Ford all my life, but after how Ford has treated all of us, I cannot stand them. I tell EVERYONE about how poorly Ford has treated us, and if I can keep others from purchasing their garbage, I feel my effort was a success. FORD--YOU SUCK!
  • lorendalorenda Member Posts: 1
    im having a hard time understanding this recall...i have a vehicle that is listed under recall...vin # is the key..so how about no 1 can help...ford cant do nothing until the 2nd qtr...may?june..they sent out advance noties to dealerships..but not to me...i have a rental and how am i to pay for a car payment and a renatl..and its a possibility that i will be reimbursedin may? they dont have the parts to fix the van..and the dealership has 1 transmission tech and he fixes them too....ford sucks big time...phone guy said its like a preview to a movie...i told them they not going to care until someone gets killed..
  • oilandwateroilandwater Member Posts: 50
    For more recall information, owners can call Ford at 866-436-7332, or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 888-327-4236, or visit www.SaferCar.gov.

http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/RecallsPage
  • carchatter1carchatter1 Member Posts: 6
    How on earth did power steering fluid ruin your brake calipers? That's impossible. Or more likely they didn't need replacing and you got taken by the repair place you went to.
    It did happen--I saw all the replaced parts soaked in ps fluid. Going 70mph on the highway when the power steering blows spits it out everywhere (mainly on driver side). When I got out of the car the wheels were covered in power steering fluid.
  • heartlanderheartlander Member Posts: 4
    I just got off thephone with Ford to ask how long the torque converter replacement is warranted.
    They said there is no information on ANY warranty for this work.
    Is that posible?
    NHTSA knows nothing about a warranty.
    So if a replaced torque converter fails after 40,000 miles are we back to square 1 - which was "you're on your own?"
    That's a bunch of BS. When i called a couple weeks ago to file a complaint about the tranny on my '06, they told me if i took it to my local Ford dealer and had it fixed. Whether i paid for it or it was a recall that i would have 12,000 mile or 1 year warranty on it. If you have a recall or don't, call you local dealership and ask.
    We know a handful of people who have had tranny work done(not necessarily by Ford) and they get warranties. I would keep looking until i found someone with some brains. How could they NOT do a warranty ya know. Keep checking.
  • nanapat4220nanapat4220 Member Posts: 1
    my problem also if u get answers please forward to me
  • 04mercurymess04mercurymess Member Posts: 1
    Where do I go to complain about the water in the PCM issue? My 2004 monterey had problems 4 times in less then a year and then I just spent $1500 on rental, repair, etc. to have a new PCM put in due to water getting into it.
  • jamesbailey08jamesbailey08 Member Posts: 4
    #73 of 75 Re: frustrated lighting problem [dayspring] by nankerphlege
    Nov 08, 2011 (1:47 pm)

Replying to: dayspring (Sep 17, 2011 8:44 am)

FORD FREESTAR (2004 & 2005) PCM and related issues. I too have a Ford Freestar. It is a 2005. Loved this vehicle until the TRANSMISSION FAILED (I had it replaced). Then the van l LOST ALL POWER WHILE ON A HIGHWAY DOING 65 mph.) I was smart enough to shift to neutral, restart van and lunged and lurched it off the road to safety just before a semi rammed into us from behind. I left the van in Norton, Ohio (near Akron) with a nearby garage. I was able to hustle a ride for my 3 year old daughter and myself. I picked up the van the next day after the garage replaced the fuel filter ($150.00). IT WAS NOT THE FILTER. Several weeks later I took van out to run errands. Van ran fine until it decided to NOT START. THEN IT STARTED BUT WOULD NOT ACCELERATE. I had it Towed back to the garage that installed the new transmission and they took it apart and checked it out. IT WAS NOT THE TRANSMISSION. We then towed van to Electrical repair shop. After reading these posts we replaced the PCM. Van drove fine for a few days and then IT WOULDN'T START. WHEN IT DID START IT DID NOT HAVE DRIVE OR REVERSE. RPM'S WERE GOING CRAZY EVEN THOUGH VAN WAS IN PARK. Again had van taken to transmission shop. Again he checked it out. When they disconnected the PCM the van was fine. So we towed back to electrical shop and put in another PCM. Got the van back after electrical shop owner and friend drove van for 2 weeks with no problems hoping to make sure problem was solved. I got van back on Friday, November 4. Drove fine. Drove van from Cleveland to Canton on Sat. Nov. 5. Van drove fine (2 hours round trip, plus errands). Drove van back to Canton on Sunday, Nov. 6. van ran fine all day. HOWEVER at 7 PM when I went to start it to drive one hour home to Cleveland the VAN WOULD NOT START, THEN IT WOULD START AND IDLE ROUGH. IT WOULD NOT SHIFT INTO DRIVE OR REVERSE. IT JUST REVVED. I left the van overnight. Got a ride home and drove back to Canton (1 hour away) on Monday, Nov. 7. Freestar started but WOULD NOT SHIFT INTO DRIVE OR REVERSE. I had van towed to electrical shop. THIS TIME VAN DISPLAYED THE SYMPTOMS FOR THE TECH THAT IT DID FOR ME. HE FINALLY FOUND THE PROBLEM!!! Water in the wire harness to and from the PCM! He drained it and dried it out and van runs PERFECT. SO HE CAULKED THE LIVING HELL OUT OF THE ENTIRE AREA WITH SILICONE. HE ALSO CAULKED THE RUBBER SEAM ON THE OUTSIDE OF VEHICLE JUST BELOW THE WIPERS. HE USED THREE TUBES OF SILICONE AND ALSO DRILLED HOLES TO ALLOW WATER TO RUN OUT AND AWAY FROM PCM. In the end it appears that water would build up and rest in the wire run. Then when I would drive at high speeds the capillary action would force the water down the line eventually shorting out and wreaking havoc with the PCM. PROBLEM APPEARS TO FINALLY BE SOLVED. WATERPROOF THE SEAL BY THE WIPERS. WATERPROOF THE COWL THAT LEADS DOWN INTO THE MOTOR. WATERPROOF THE WIRES TO AND FROM THE PCM!!!!!!!! FORD SUCKS!! THEY KNOW THIS PROBLEM EXISTS AND CHARGE CONSUMERS HUNDREDS IF NOT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS TO "SEAL" THE PCM. MOST REPORT HAVING TO COME BACK SEVERAL TIMES. These problems are in addition to the transmission failures and torque converter failures that owners are experiencing!
  • memmad2memmad2 Member Posts: 4
    I AM ONCE AGAIN UPSET DUE TO THIS PILE OF JUNK THAT FORD HAS SOLD ME (SEE MESSAGE# 79 ) I FIRST TOLD OF HOW I WAS CHARGED $3200,00 AS WATER HAD GOTTEN INTO MY TRANSMISSION FLUID? WELL THAT WAS AUGUST 2011 AND I STILL OWE $ 451.27 AFTER EVERY PENNY I HAVE HAS GONE TO PAYING OFF THE CREDIT CARD I HAD TO PUT THE BILL ON.... I GOT THE CAR BACK NOVEMBER 11TH 2011, NOT LONG AFTER THE ENGINE LIGHT WENT ON AND I CALLED THE SERVICE CENTER AND THEY SAID IT MIGHT BE THAT I HAD GOTTEN GAS AND THE GAS CAP WAS NOT PUT BACK ON CORRECTLY SO DRIVE IT AND SEE IF IT WOULD RESET IT TOOK A WHILE BUT IT DID NOW TODAY I WENT TO WARM UP THE CAR AND THEN GOT IN TO GO WHEN I NOTICED IT SOUNDED LIKE A DRUMMER WAS IN THE ENGINE I HAD HEARD THIS SOUND B4 BACK B4 THE WATER PROBLEM I HAD NOTICED THIS SOUND COMING FROM THE CAR I TOOK IT TO FORD AND THEY SAID IT WAS FINE THEY HEARD NOTHING I HAD IT THERE 2 TIMES BECAUSE OF THIS NOISE BUT WAS ASSURED IT CHECKED OUT OKAY....HERE I AM AGAIN AND I CALLED THE SERVICE CENTER AND HAVE AN EARLY APPOINTMENT TO HAVE IT CHECKED OUT TOMORROW I AM SO SCARED AS I AM BROKE AND I HAVE EVERY PENNY SUNK INTO THIS FORD I STILL OWE 7300.00 ON THE LOAN AND I HAVE NOT MISSED ANY PAYMENTS AND THEN HAVE PAID OFF ALMOST ALL OF THE COST FOR THE TRANSMISSION AND WATER LEAKAGE THAT FORD MANUFACTURED IN SUCH A SLOPPY WAY SO WE ALL CAN BE FOREVER PAYING TO HAVE THESE LEMONS FIXED BY FORD ONLY TO FIND OUT THAT THEY NEVER ARE FIXED AND WE ARE ALL DRIVING AROUND IN TIME BOMBS ... I NEED THIS CAR AS I AM A FOSTER PARENT AND WITHOUT A CAR I CAN'T HAVE A CHILD IN MY HOME I WENT THROUGH THIS JUST A FEW MONTHS AGO I DO NOT THINK I CAN DO THIS AGAIN I NEED AN INCOME I LOVE MY JOB I AM WORKING ONLY TO PAY FORD IT IS SO WRONG!!!!! THE KICKER HERE IS THAT I HAVE ONLY 56227 MILES ON THIS 2006 FORD FREESTAR........... I WAS WITHOUT MY CAR FOR 3 MONTHS AND STILL MANAGED TO PAY IT OFF WITH MY SAVINGS BUT I HAVE NOTHING LEFT AND I CAN'T PAY AGAIN WITH NO INCOME IF IT HAS ANY MORE PROBLEMS SO SOON AFTER I JUST HAD IT DONE I AM SO WORRIED I AM IN A BAD PLACE AND FORD PUT ME HERE :confuse: RUN FROM FORDS AND THEIR DEALERSHIPS THEY DO NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR WORK PRAY FOR ME TOMORROW IS COMING..................AND I HAVE TO DRIVE THERE :lemon:
  • difrentmandifrentman Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: i wish i would have found this forum before i bought my used 2004 freestar 2 days ago, it seems to be fine but i havent drove it much yet. it has 161000 miles on it but i drove it today out of town about 65 miles hit the highway cruising at 75 and i see this little light flashing, i had my wife look in the owners manuel to see what it meant and it states to check the transaxle. the van never stalled or gave me any problems but when i got to my destination i checked the fluid and it seemed to have some crude down in the trans because it was on the dipstick, i think tomorrow i am going to buy some royal purple and do a trans filter fluid change and see if the keeps my light off, if anyone gets any more info on this recall can you let me know i hope im not screwed out on buying this van my wife loves it so far but i dont want any problems, or if there is anything else i need to know please leave me something thanks a bunch and i hope you all who bought a freestar new or fairly new and had to put money into it get a big reembursement or a class action lawsuit.
  • hockeymom03hockeymom03 Member Posts: 1
    here is what I found out. Ford customer service number: call 8003923673 Recall # 11s25, I can either have dealership submit receipt or send it myself. I plan to send myself, as dealership was as helpful as ..... hmm, now that I think about it, the Walmart Greeter would have been more helpful.

Address to send in, Ford motor Co.
    po box 6251
    Dearborn, MI 48121

Do not send original receipt, send copy, send VIN number and recall number.

will need to submit recept for reimbursement, I don't know if I will get reimbursed d/t my receipt says "rebuilt transmission" but I do know that when the tranny went, I had no warning, just went out. as I was over the Mississippi River, no exit ramp nearby, temp was around 5 below. My only blessing is that it was 10:30 at night, light traffic, instead of on my way to work w/rush hour. Kids in car. Scared I was going to get hit, and if I was hit hard enough, would they have sent me over the bridge????. I plan to send a statement as to what happend with the reciept. i don't know it if will help. I do know, if I don't get reimbursed, I will tell everyone I know how I was treated by Ford, and Im thinking of buying a Honda right now. Dont know if I will trade in vehicle or junk it. Financially, need to trade, morally, I would not wish this vehicle on anyone.
    Sounds like there are many more issues that Ive yet t experience.

All I can do is send it in and see what happens. I am beyond being mad. But, Ford is back on the bottom of my list for cars to pick from. They hit the bottom in the 80's. Can we say Escort. That was a joke too.
    Like many of us, I called and was told to send in my transmission repair receipts directly to Ford for possible reimbursement. I'm guessing that my Ford receipt is like many of yours--just a single line item that says "rebuilt transmission". Nothing more (except the few hundred dollar charge to check the main board first!).

Is it possible the dealership repair people were thinking ahead and purposely just writing "rebuilt transmission" as an out down the road? FYI--my failure was just like everyone else--driving along--just stopped--no warning-no symptoms, etc.