Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• MichimanMichiman Member Posts: 8
    I was just at the local Ford dealer today. Bought an 04 Monterey. I am supposed to pick it up Monday. I didn't sign anything or leave a deposit...just a credir application. Looks like I'm going to back out of this deal. I don't need any headaches. Too bad, it was a nice van, but no thanks. :sick:
  • shocked1shocked1 Member Posts: 85
    Good idea Michiman........ Only wish I could sell mine. (2004 Ford Freestar) A REALLLLLLL :lemon: fEW OTHERS STOP BUYING THEIR JUNK.....MAYBE A RECALL WILL HAPPEN. THANK YOU
  • jgenovesejgenovese Member Posts: 220
    AHHH, the power of the internet. It is good to be an informed consumer. In my opinion, you will definitely dodge a bullet if you back out.
  • why_mewhy_me Member Posts: 4
    Don't buy it! And tell them why you don't want it. Loudly. So everyone in earshot can hear and be protected.

I am still trying to get anyone in the Koons organization to respond to me. I have sent a letter to Jim Koons, No response. I sent an email to Jim Koons. No response. I called Jim Koons. My phone call got sent to someone else's voice mail box. I asked for a call back. No response. I just sent out 10 letters yesterday to everyone I could dredge up the name of in the Koons organization . . . business addresses and home addresses. If I don't get a response within a few days, I am moving on to any consumer protection organization I can think of. Any suggestions? And I will be contacting the television and radio stations in the Washington area to see if I can get them interested in this problem. If they think I am going to get bored and tired and let go of this thing, they better think again. I have already paid 3 car payments for this useless van since it broke down and February's payment will be due shortly. Any of you willing to talk to the media if I get something stirred up?
    I'd like to thank everyone here for no doubt saving me a massive headache and countless troubles. Time to move on and look elsewhere for a vehicle. And good luck to those of you with a van with issues. I know it's not fun. :sick:
    Good luck with Koons. They are the same clowns who gave me such a runaround. Their first response was, "We have never heard of that before." "Yours is the first Freestar EVER to have that problem." "Must be something you did to it." "Did you have the 30K mile transmission fluid change?" "No?" Then its your fault." "Oh, by the way, we would have paid for half of your repair but you never had any work done in our shop so, we owe you nothing." One of the Koons brothers actually accused me of lying when I told him I purchased 7 new Fords from the Annapolis dealership since 1987. I even went so far as to report them to the Office of the Attorney general of my home state, MD. They actually lied to the investigator from that office, in writing! Compare and contrast that to the writer who went to Norris Ford in Easton, MD. Ford actually flew in a rep from Detroit who ACKNOWLEDGED THAT IT WAS A DEFECT and they paid for her repair! Her story is one of the 495 posts in this very forum if you would like to read it for yourself. As far as the media, if you can find someone to take an interest in the story, I will be the first in line togive an interview. I have been trying to get the Baltimore stations on board for over a year now. Finally, you are 100% correct. DO NOT LET THIS GO. tell everyone you know. Tell people you don't know if they are driving one of these vans. You just might save their life.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
    :sick: Had tolet others know..... I received (again) a notice from FORD'S warrenty dept. wanting me to renew warranty!!!!! :mad: When I called to say WHY IM NOT RENEWING, the smart alec said i don't care bout your tranny problems! Please tell me, what is our bussiness world gone to????????????? I'll NEVER own a FORD or ANYTHING with that name on it!!!!!
    Since I backed out of the deal, the dealer has called me a few times. In the end, their final offer was $9,100 for the van, and they were going to toss in a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty which would have covered the trans. I said don't think so.
    GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!! TELL THEM TO COME HERE AND SEE OUR COMPLAINTS. iVE HAD MY LAST FORD!!!!!!!
    You did the right thing. Maybe you could suggest to them that they call Ford and explain that they lost a sale because you took the time to educate yourself as a consumer and found out about their problem with these transmissions. maybe then they will realize the power of the internet and an educated consumer and work to resolve this propblem through a recall.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • corporateabusecorporateabuse Member Posts: 2
    OK, I have taken a couple of different steps with Ford to get answers. They don't dare say anything to me but well scripted replies. I have repeatedly asked for a press statements about this issue. I will say that after every time I contact them I see corporate lawyers on my site through the analytics program. So now it is time to take a different approach. If you can, I need to get some information (no personal info.) from any, and all freestar owners. What I ask for is. Year of model, trim package, and mileage of tranny failure. I will construct the database and use some wild cards that I have, so that we can light a fire under the appropriate management team to get answers, and or results. I will also be hosting a pdf file for people to send to their state senators to have the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, & Transportation investigate this serious safety hazard of Ford's.
    send an e-mail to corpabuse@gmail with the items I need, and check for the pdf letter on http://corporateabuse.net on about February 16th 2009. or you can send a request for an e-mailed version by sending me an e-mail
    2004. "S" Model. 45K miles.
    Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • aggiemeaggieme Member Posts: 10
    This will be a great thing.....DATA is king when it comes to dispustes like this.
    I have a 2004 Ford Freestar... tranny quit at about 69,000 miles... in Nov. 08
    NO WARNING, WAS COMING OFF A FREEWAY EXIT..... :cry:
  • fallingstar2fallingstar2 Member Posts: 7
    Mine is 2004 SE- 62500 miles
  • susanhaisusanhai Member Posts: 9
    2004 freestar sel 59000 mile. Husband was pulling into work
  • kiki6kiki6 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned Phil Edmonston's Lemon-Aid book in all of these postings along the way, but I found it interesting to discover that in Canada, we have had several Small Claims successes in which the judge ordered Ford to pay for engine and transmission repairs, even when the original warranty had expired. The book also provides precedent letters and instructions on how to proceed with your own claim. Not sure what would be available for American residents and I know a lot of people have been pursuing legal avenues here but I thought I'd mention this anyways.

C.
    Outstanding information! If nothing else, this would verify our contention that Ford did, in fact, know about this propblem when it falsely claimed to each of us that it did not. I will be looking for this book tonight.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • breadmanwifebreadmanwife Member Posts: 1
    2004 Ford Freestar S Mileage :mad: 94000
  • msq1224msq1224 Member Posts: 16
    2004 SEL failed at 67000 miles in 12/2007 :mad:
  • sunburnsunburn Member Posts: 319
    2004 SEL - 49K miles.

Based on the posts thus far, the 2004's seem to be the winners.
  • misty10misty10 Member Posts: 23
    I have a 2004 Freestar and my torque converter went when I had 79,000 miles on it. Had absolutley no warning ...just wouldn't go anymore while driving. Cost me $2500 plus car rental. Ford refuses to own up to this default in the Freestars.
  • momtobcltmomtobclt Member Posts: 19
    Sunburn posted: Based on the posts thus far, the 2004's seem to be the winners.

Or have our 2005, 06, and 07's just not hit that magic number when our trannys will die.

I have tons of problems with my 06 Freestar Limited, 24,000 miles but so far the tranny hasn't been one. It would lose all power while driving. I just had the power control center/ box?? fixed on the van before moisture was getting in there and causing issues. This has helped 90% of my problem.
    Misty10....... Look at ALLL the needed recalls, FORD isn't going to "own up" to a recall. I don't believe they will when there's a death from it either. But they're begging for $$$$from Obama? WELL, FORD DON'T FORGET YOUOWE US CUSTOMERS SOME OF THAT$$$$!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • tmountsrtmountsr Member Posts: 1
    I also would like to be added to any possible class action suit. I was quoted $3250 to replace trans at Ford with 100k warranty on their rebuilt trans. I think my mechanic will want more for a Jasper. We'd love to get our money back as well. Trans was serviced twice in the last 2 months, once by my mechanic, 2nd time by Ford. I was told the torque converter would not hold lock. I got a check engine light a few days ago, made an appointment to get it looked at, but my wife got stuck on the highway, fortunately she wasn't hurt. If contacted for the suit, I will provide all contact info.
  • jeffl0924jeffl0924 Member Posts: 1
    86000 miles, tranny went out Saturday Evening. 2004 SEL. Like others have said, just like someone threw it into Neutral. Towed home, then back to the dealership. Was told that the Torque converter is definitely bad, and a band is screwed up in there too. 2800 bucks for a remanufactured one! ....I have 7 Ford vehicles....My 1998 Mountaineer has 250,000 miles on it, and its still going strong other than minor stuff...Im not happy
    Mike,
    Something may already be in the works. In the meantime, stay tuned, report your transmission failure to NHTSA via their website, and do let us know if you have success finding an attorney. I couldn't hurt to have more than 1 firm working on it.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • moores43764moores43764 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Ford Freestar... tranny quit at 77,938 miles... in feb. 08
    NO WARNING, was pulling out of my driveway. I'm going to be calling some attys
    to see if i cant start a class action lawsuit i will post as soon as i find something out.

Please e-mail me at ambersowards2006@yahoo.com if you would like to talk about this problem!!!!!!!!!!
  • christinatuxchristinatux Member Posts: 2
    2004 Ford Freestar trasmission died at 69,000 miles. No warnings or lights prior. Also I called Ford Service department to see if it was still covered under manufacture warranty. They told me "no, the warranty was only 3years/36,000 miles and that they didn't offer longer powertrain warranties until 2007. Left work one night, put it in reverse, worked fine, put it in drive and it went nowhere. No noises, no lights, no movement. My brother in law hooked it up to a diagnostic machine and it puts out no trouble codes. Any ideas???? Ford tells me they will install a rebuilt one for about $3.600 and that it will only be warrantied for 3 years/36,000 miles again...HMMMM :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :mad:
  • christinatuxchristinatux Member Posts: 2
    Reported my issue to NHTSA yesterday and also emailed Ford.com. Here's a copy of the email and response:

Ford Motor CompanyMain Topic: VehicleServiceIssuesEmail Questions: My transmission has died at 69,000 miles. After researching this online, I have found hundreds of the same issues with this 2004 Ford Freestar. I purchased this van as a Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle from Clarke Ford, Hudson, Ohio and have been told that the estimated cost for repair/replacement would be $3,600. I would like to know what you can help with about this issue, since it seems to be a manufacture defect? I have not had the van fixed yet as I can not afford that amount for repairs. In this economy who can?There are several posts stating that there is/will be a class action law suit filed. I thought I would pursue this avenue first and hope that you will stand behind your consumer and take the necessary steps to correct this issue. Thank You for your time.Owner: YesVehicle Identification Number: 2FMZA51654BA33970Mileage: 69000Vehicle Location: InPossessionIf Contacted Dealer: YesDealer Name: Clarke Ford, Montrose FordOwner First Name: ChristinaOwner Last Name: Owner Email Address: Owner Address1: City: TState: OhioZipPostal: Country: United StatesDay Phone: Client Browser : Firefox 3Client OS : Windows

Dear Christina,

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding the transmission concern on your 2004 Ford Freestar.

We apologize for the inconvenience this situation has caused you. However, we have documented your concerns and your information will be sent to your Dealership. Your Service Manager is in the best position to assist and should contact you within 4 business days.

Sometimes e-mail communication does not allow us to gain additional information that may be helpful in responding to your inquiry. Should you feel that we have not adequately addressed your questions, please feel free to contact us via telephone at (800)392-3673 between the hours of 8am and 5pm, local time, Monday through Friday. Hearing-impaired callers with access to a TDD may contact 1-800-232-5952. Please provide your 10 digit reference number - 1356130579.

Sincerely,
    France
    Customer Relationship Center
    Ford Motor Company
    Outstanding job reporting to NHTSA. This is a crucial step. Good luck with the Customer Relationship center. My experience with them was maddening. They lied to me, laughed at me, and intentionally put me on hold for around 15 minutes while they were "looking for a supervisor" who, you guessed it, wasn't available to speak to me. My experience exposed to me one simple truth about Ford; They do not stand behind their product or care to maintain relationships with their loyal customer base. They treated me the way they did, knowing that I was a loyal Ford customer for 24 years, having purchased 9 new Fords and several used Fords as well. It wasn't merely, "Sorry, we can't help you." They were rude, antagonistic, sarcastic, unprofessional, and completely disrespectful. Apparently, somebody at Ford skipped Business 101. Keep us posted on your progress or lack thereof. Hopefully, something will break for us soon...

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • 2004van2004van Member Posts: 2
    When I was looking for the required service at 90,000 miles, I found this forum. We have not had any problems with the van. Now I'm thinking the smart thing might be to sell it while it's still under the entended warranty, except I don't care to stick a buyer with a problem. When I checked the NHTSA I did not find many recalls and there appeared to be no actions in the works. Has any one had better luck getting the 2004 Ford vans repaired? 2004van
    You are correct. Inexplicably, NHTSA has taken no action in spite of the evidence that this is a widespread and potentially deadly defect. The total lack of a response, not even a, "We looked into it and found nothing wrong," leads one to believe that there is something untoward going on behind the scenes. When you look at the investigations that NHTSA has conducted in the recent past and compare them to the total disregard for this issue, it is perplexing at best. Who knows, maybe something will break for us soon. In the meantime, count your blessings that you have not yet been a victim. I do have one question for you though, did you buy your van new?

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • trimadscotrimadsco Member Posts: 10
    Well, I'm joining the club and NOT happy about it! 2005 Ford Freestar, 90,000 miles - and need a new torque converter - repair to cost $2100. NO warnings whatsoever with my vehicle as well - went to get lunch, wouldn't go into gear. Had to have it towed. Now have the added expense of a rental car because of course the extended warranty that I bought doesn't cover this. Haven't contaced Ford yet - I intend to but I'm sure I'll get the same response as you guys. Also going to report to NHTSA, but again - doubt that will do much good. I just don't understand why Ford isn't addressing this problem. Although I've been a loyal Ford customer for YEARS, I will be buying foreign - SOON!!!!
  • 2004van2004van Member Posts: 2
    We got the 2004 Ford Freestar used from a dealer in Wisconsin. The first title was to a person from another state who had leased it for about 2 years and put fewer than 20,000 miles on it. Now at 85,000 I expect to have a couple problems with it, but hopefully not one that leaves my wife and/or kids broken-down on the highway at night. Where are the Ford dealership mechanics? I want to hear from you; what is going on with the tranmissions, guys?
    Well, after having tranny repaired Nov.08, it's "acting up" again. Doesn't surprize me. Mechanic said it would. I wish OBAMA would address this crap going on with FORD, instead of giving them free $$$$$$$!!!!!! It's sooo unfair. I don't feel right selling the problem to another.And hubby's 70, so forget a new one. Feel nothing will be done. Guess I've given up, other then reporting to everyone & telling family & friends so they won't buy anymore of FORD'S junk!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • mike123mike123 Member Posts: 10
    I wish I would have looked into this forum long ago. Our 2005 Freestar just had the transmission die with ~65,000 miles. Called the Ford service dept... got the same old apology speech as everyone else, 3 yr. / 36,000 mile (Built Ford Tough) sorry we can't help you. Received a quote for $3,500 to replace with Jasper tranny that comes with 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. Found a local garage that will do it for half cost and gives 1 yr warranty. I will file the complaint with Ford soon - hoping to hear of a class action lawsuit concerning this issue. I will NEVER own another Ford.
  • cowboys59cowboys59 Member Posts: 38
    Hi Everyone,
    It makes me really sad that we are no further than we were two years ago. The problem with the transmission in the Ford & Mercury minivans is this... the transmission is too small for the engine. This causes the torque converter to come apart under stress (normal every day use). The impeller vanes sheer off. If you do not replace the too-small transmission with a bigger one you will continue to have transmission failures. Ford will apparently never own up to this obvious factory caused problem. Under any other company (please google Acura with the same problem) there would be a recall. Ford must have many Government agencies in their pockets. Why hasn't any news agency contacted us? This is so blatent. Just keep trying and keep reporting this to anyone and everyone who will listen. I was so trying to get to testify on the hill as to why Ford DID NOT deserve a bailout. They are a piece of s--- company who deserves to go under. We all owe Jim G. a huge debt of gratitude. He has been the #1 advocate for all of us. We all know that the Ford dealerships have circled the wagons regarding this whole thing. Keep giving them hell Jim!
    Kelly L.
    Kelly,
    You are absolutely correct about the root of the problem and have articulated it very well. You are also correct about Acura. My neighbor had an Acura in which the transmission failed and it was replaced FREE OF CHARGE because Acura did the RIGHT THING, unlike our friends at Ford. Also, I have the same speculation about the realtionship between Ford and the government agencies that would otherwise be all over this situation and force a recall. After all this time and all of the reports to NHTSA, I can't think of another explanation that makes any sense. As I have said many times before, I guess it is going to take a fatality and a really sharp attorney to get this thing the attention and scrutiny it deserves. In the meantime, everybody needs to keep the faith, keep spreading the word, and keep thinking of great ideas to help our cause.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
    Thanks for your info. I did e-mail our news channel here in Ohio, and plan to do so again, untill they get tired of it. I too, WILL NEVER OWN A FORD!!!!!! And some my family & friends won't either.We're going to Chevy or Toyato. And "the hill" needs to visit here BEFORE handing out more $$$$$$ for them to build more death traps. I thank you also Jim....... :sick:
    Hey Guys,
    Get this. I just took my van in for a tune up and oil change. It was a new place so I asked the guy there if he had heard of the transmission problems with the Ford and Mercury vans. He said he had not but with something so blatent there would obviously be a recall. I just laughed and told him to look up this message board. Since the problem is so basic why are we having so much trouble getting anyone to listen, especially since this is the kind of thing TV stations usually love?
    What more can we do?
    Thanks,
    Kelly
  • why_mewhy_me Member Posts: 4
    On February 9th, 3 months and a day after the transmission quit, I got my 2004 Freestar fixed, at a Ford dealership for $350! This forum helped me a great deal. I remember reading many posts ago, in a post from someone that used to work at Ford's customer service that if you say you will not ever buy another Ford, they write you off as a lost cause and brush you off. So, as hard as it was, I just kept that to myself. After getting the brush-off from Ford's customer service and from several Ford dealers, (the dealer I bought it from went out of business) I sent a letter to Jim Koons, the president of Koons Automotive, and I sent him an email and I called him. I got no response at all. Then I sent out a barrage of 10 letters to Jim Koons, his wife, his daughter (who runs a couple of dealerships), the general managers of a few of Koons dealerships and the service manager of Koon's College Park Ford. In the letter I said I was not going to go away, and if I didn't get a response from someone, I was not going to give up, that I would go to every consumer group I could locate and to the media. In only a couple of days I got 2 phone calls and an email. The first call was a general manager in Baltimore who was very nice and gave me some information about the dealership I bought my van from. He said that Jim Koons was not the owner of Koons Ford Rockville, but his nephew, Joe Koons was. He said if I didn't get help in a few days to call him back and he would see what he could do. The next day, I got another call from the service manager at Koons College Park Ford. He asked if I had gotten any response yet and I told him about the Baltimore dealer. He also told me that Jim Koons was not the owner of my closed dealership, but he said that he considered that a customer of any Koons dealership was a Koons customer, and he wanted me to be happy. He asked me how I would feel if they could fix it for between $300 and $400. I of course said I'd be very happy. He said he was going to call Ford and see what he could do, and he would call me back that afternoon. And he did. He asked if I could get it towed in to Koons College Park Ford and I said I would do it the next day. I did and they fixed it for $350. So, at least I am mobile again, and saved $3000, but I don't trust the vehicle at all anymore. I am not sure exactly how he pulled it off, but he got my extended warranty which had expired 255 miles before the van died, to pay all but the deductible. Anybody want to buy a used van? Before I got my problem solved, I went to a website, JustAnswer.com, and asked about this problem. They have experts of all kinds signed up to answer people's questions for $9 or $15, your choice -- a great service. A Ford tech answered my question, and I will paste it here in case it my help someone here.

"Odds are your looking at a concern where as your trans is making no pump pressure caused by the pump shaft not turning caused by the teeth on the gear inside the torque converter stripped out. I fix this concern quite often and just finished one last week on friday. Normally all you need is to drop the trans and replace the converter and hub seal and drop the pan and replace the fluid and filter. My bill at my dealer normally is 1300 for this task parts and labor.

Since you bought the vehicle used and its now out of the warranty you bought then most likely ford will not cover it. You would need to contact a dealer or ford to see if they would help out. I am only a tech and have no control over this end of things. I have seen some claims go through and some not. Being as you did buy a ford and did buy a extended warranty then preach about yourself being a ford owner and trusting its worth but you now are discouraged. They may offer some assistance based on keeping your business since the car makers are hurting for business. Even some help would be better than none. Good luck "

I hope this may help some of you get your problems addressed. I am now printing up little cards to put on any Freestars I see to warn them and direct them to this site, hopefully before their vans break down, and trying to figure out how to get rid of my van before it breaks again. I don't know how, since I still owe more than it is currently worth. Good luck to you all.

Oh, and a couple of days after I had set the repair up, I did finally receive an email from Jim Koons. It said basically, not one of my dealerships, sorry, can't help. I ignored him like he ignored me.
    Kelly,
    I was told, off the record by a TV insider, that it was a fear of losing ad revenue. Yes, sadly, it is always about the money and not about the safety of the consumer.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
    You are one of the few fortunate ones. What I don't understand is the blatently disparate treatment Ford is showing its customers. How can they pay for some but not for all? As for them writing you off if you say you will never buy a Ford again, that is not only pathetic and goes against every business course I ever took and any businees advice I ever got, but it is also not entirely accurate. When I first called Ford, both the dealer and the Customer Relationship Center, I told them that I had been a Ford customer for 20 plus years and had purchased 9 new and several used Fords. I went on to tell them that I wished to remain loyal to Ford and would remain loyal to Ford if they did the right thing and covered the repair. Needless to say, they did not care one way or the other. The Ford dealer actually told me to my face that they would not cover it because I never used their shop for service! (I generally service my own vehicles because I can and I enjoy doing it.) And, the owner, Joe Koons Jr., called me a liar and said that he had no record of the 7, YES SEVEN new Fords that I purchased from his dealership, Koons Ford of Annapolis. Imagine that, being called a liar by a business that you spent nearly $150K with over 10 years or so!

What they are going to have a hard time explaining when this thing does make it in front of a jury, and it will, is how they paid for some and not for others. At the end of the day, it is the same lousy van with the same defective transmission in every case.

How are they going to explain how the Ford rep, who flew in from Detroit, told Bob Norris Ford in Easton, MD to fix a customer's van because it was defective and then turn around and tell the rest of us to go pound sand?

They must think they are operating in a vacuum and the internet doesn't really exist. I'm pretty sure this is exactly why they will eventually go the way of the people who thought Earth was flat.

What a bunch of cowards and thieves. Hey Ford, step up to the plate, stand by your product and do the right thing by your customers before you don't have any more buyers for your product! Its Business 101 in case you forgot. Maybe you've all gotten light-headed from jetting around in your multi-million dollar planes begging the taxpayers, (ME!,) for money. Maybe if you built a decent product and stood by your loyal customer base you wouldn't have to have your hand out. Last time I checked, I didn't see Toyota, Nissan, or Honda trying to slip their hands in my pocket! There's nothing in there anyway because I'm still paying for the new transmission I had to put in my van that only had 45K miles on it!

I cannot wait until our day in court when I get to play, for all the world to hear, the frantic and panicked voice mail message from my wife that I have saved since the day she left it, when our Freestar left her and 5 of my kids stranded in the middle of an intersection, without warning, and with nowhere to go. It is a miracle they didn't get hit by another vehicle. It is even more of a miracle that it happened where it did and not in front of a loaded semi on the highway. Thank God there was one good Samaritan there to help her push it out of the road and get her and my kids out of harms way!

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • bigred23bigred23 Member Posts: 1
    My wife was on her way home from work just last Friday when she started experiencing what she at first thought to be transmission problems. The van started to jerk when the gas pedal was pushed, once she let off the gas it was fine. Except for the fact the she was on the highway and could only go about 25mph. Once she got the van home we took it for a couple test drives around the block. First, I put the van into neutral and it started reving the engine even though the gas wasn't pushed. Put the van back into park, then reverse and it slammed itself into gear with a loud thud. Back into park and then into drive with no problem.... until I tried to drive it. Pushed lightly on the gas, and it started off fine. Once I pushed a little harder it wanted to die.

Needless to say I had the van towed to Art Hill Ford in Merriville IN where I have purchased my previous 3 vehicles. Now when I bought the van I decided to get the extra extended coverage just incase. I had them take a look at it and they said it WASN'T the tranny, it was the scm or some 3 letter abbrv. for a computer chip. They told me that the cowl panel where the windshield wiper arms come out was leaking on to the scm or whatever causing a short in it. They also told me that it wasn't covered under my warranty even the extend one. So I asked, since I bought a vehicle from the dealership ( a defected vehicle ) that I was still reasponsible for fixing it?All they could say is sorry we sold you a defected piece of crap, now you have to pay us to fix it.

I would just like to say thanks to the Ford Family and one more thing... You just lost another otherwise loyal customer. By the looks of it from this forum I wasn't the first and more then likely I won't be the last. PS. I hope you pricks don't get anymore bailout money!
    I totally can't believe those low life FORD dealers will not take care of this LIFE THREATING problem with their TRASH OF A VEHICAL!!!!!!!! Are you waiting for a life to be taken FORD???? IM sure this forum is FORD'Scomic book each day, reading it. ONE SORRY COMPANY..... HOW DO THEY SLEEP AT NIGHT?
    Big Red,

We all understand your frustration. These vans are riddled with defects, many of which affect the drivability and safety of the vehicles. The transmission, (yours will fail, its just a matter of when), is merely the most expensive problem to fix. That is why it gets so much attention on this website. Overall, these defects are the reason Ford couldn't compete in the marketplace with these vans. It is not so much that the other manufacturers build a perfect vehicle every time, it is mostly because they respond differently to their customers. When is the last time you heard a Toyota, Nissan, or Honda customer complain about the way they were treated by the manufacturer. It rarely, if ever, happens.

To be fair though, Ford has not yet taken bailout money - that we know of. That said, I would love to know the real reason why. I am no conspiracy theorist, but could it be that there is some sort of arrangement that is not as public as the deal that Chrysler and GM got? Is it possible that it involves NHTSA and their inaction in the Freestar fiasco? At this point, because neither Ford nor NHTSA has offered no alternate explanations, and, believe me, I have asked, one can only guess.....

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
    Hey Jim,
    Yes it is sad but not one bit surprising.
    It is just a matter of time before this becomes a deadly issue. Someone will most certainly get killed in a crash due to transmission failure in their van. Ford will again claim innocence and it sounds like they will get away with it.
    I tell you how they sleep at night. On 2000 thread count sheets on $15000 mattresses. Ford is always about the money.
    Let's keep trying.
    Kelly
  • tervmomtervmom Member Posts: 12
    I found this forum (unfortunately) AFTER my 2006 Freestar's transmission left me stranded in the middle of an unlit road on a rainy night on March 10th - thankfully not far from home or very heavily travelled.

Had it towed to the dealership we have been very loyal to - all of our oil changes, just bought 4 tires for the van last month, a set for our F150 King Ranch last year, etc. Thank goodness I became educated by this forum before they had a chance to look at it.

His argument was that this was mostly 2004 and 2005 vans with problems - not 2006's. We told him someone had to have the firsts. My van has 44,000 miles and has only been driven by two middle-aged adults and no kids. We're incredulous that it would go out so soon.

Although the Ford dealership didn't contribute it to this, we think the AdvanceTrak is part of the problem. We have experienced problems with it since almost the beginning with it being in the shop several times for it malfunctioning. It would engage for no reason leaving me with my foot all the way down on the gas to slowly reach the whopping speeds of 25-30 mph. I would have to pull off to the side of the road (most often a highway because of my commute) and turn off the vehicle. It would be usually be okay when I restarted it. The AdvanceTrak light would still stay on for a bit though. It did this numerous times and that just cannot be good for a transmission.

Our dealer had initially quoted around $3600 to repair. Because of our loyalty, brought it down to no more than $1800 and they put in a call to Ford to see what they would do. They threw in $500, making our total investment $1300. (But after reading the latest posts it sounds suspiciously like what was quoted to fix it.) We were told it was a problem with the converter.

We will be keeping an eye on this forum and posting with the NTSV(??) to keep them also aware.

Am also printing up business cards with this website and a bit of a warning to place on the windshields of other Freestars I see, as this is still just not right.
  • ljacomeljacome Member Posts: 8
    So here I am again just about two years later and guess what the transmission has blown again. The ford dealer that replace it the first time is out of business. Ford Sucks.