Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestar Transmission Problems

Comments

• nadinebnadineb Member Posts: 190
    Dear Nadine,

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding issuance of a recall.

Please note that recalls are issued on items that may cause Safety or Emissions concerns with the vehicle. Many factors are used to determine recalls such as warranty status, vehicle history, customer contacts, dealership comments and so forth. Please keep in mind that The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), which is the federal agency responsible for motor vehicle safety, and is the only organization with the authority to order a recall.

Moreover, Ford and the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) work together to proactively identify areas of concern through investigation of consumer and dealer feedback. However, we regret to inform you that Ford and NHTSA's investigation of consumer and dealer feedback are considered proprietary and therefore, is unavailable to the public. Consequently, we are unable to provide you with the information you are seeking.

Thank you for contacting Ford.

Sometimes e-mail communication does not allow us to gain additional information that may be helpful in responding to your inquiry. Should you feel that we have not adequately addressed your questions, please feel free to contact us via telephone at (800)392-3673 between the hours of 8am and 5pm, local time, Monday through Friday. Hearing-impaired callers with access to a TDD may contact 1-800-232-5952.
    I was told that if you have a 2005 or newer vehicle, you still have time to contact an attorney under the Lemon Laws. I would suggest that you hurry!
  • jgenovesejgenovese Member Posts: 220
    Nadine,
    It is obvious to me that whatever information Ford/ NHTSA will not provide to you is not favorable to Ford and is likely the evidence we need to take an action against Ford and, potentially, NHTSA itself. In my opinion, NHTSA, having been made aware of this issue and still failing to act, is just as liable as Ford.

Also, apparently Ford is not aquainted with the Freedom of Information Act. Under the Act, they are obligated to provide you with the information because it is information that is shared with a federal agency. Please write them back and advise them that you are making your request under the Freedom of Information Act and that their failure to comply is in violation of the law. This is something an attorney would likely be happy to assist you with because it is one of those cases where the law is CLEARLY on your side and, even though Ford/NHTSA might fight it, they will eventually lose and, in the meantime, your attorney would likely get lots of free publicity because, as we all know, this has the potential to be a very high-profile case. All it takes is one action like this to get the attention of one media outlet and it will take on a life of its own from there. This could be the break we need to get this thing out there!

Keep us posted!

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
    Though my web surfing, I came across something interesting. Technical Service Bulletins for the UNKNOWN UNKNOWN1 9999 - 110000. Anyone know about these? NHTSA told me that these Technical Service Bulletins for the UNKNOWN UNKNOWN1 9999 - 110000 are items the manufacture produces. I've asked Ford to explain. Let you know when I hear back from them.

In the meantime, I sent a FOIA to NHTSA seeking any information about the Ford Freestar. I am also looking at the Federal Register for any hearing that took place with NHTSA and Ford about these vehicles. Anyone can access the site because it is in the public domain.

This problem has existed since 1999 with the the powertrain control module getting wet and then, if you get rear ended, your air bags will not deploy. What was Fords philosophy - something like let them crash and burn?
    Nadine,
    Great work! You are on top of your game. As for Ford's philosophy, I believe that the statement was more along the lines of; "It is cheaper to let them crash and burn," (than to fix the problem). That was nearly 40 years ago. In this case, it is absolutely amazing to me that, in the age of the internet and consumers being more educated and sophisticated than ever before, that Ford maintains essentially the same philosophy. I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks. It is no wonder that they continue to lose market share. We are not asking them to hold our hands, we are just asking them to build a safe product and, in the event of a defect such as this one which is HUGE, inform the public and fix the problem. By the way, the problem is not just the PCM, it is also the undersized transmission that eventually, literally, comes apart with no warning. Thatis what left my family stranded in the middle of an intersection like sitting ducks. It is a miracle that no one got hurt. It would be more than a shame for Ford to get away with what I believe to be criminal behavior. Afterall, our decision to buy this vehicle was greatly influenced by Ford's marketing of its "safety rating." What else can that be than criminal?

Keep up the good work and, as always, thank you and please keep us posted!

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • why_mewhy_me Member Posts: 4
    I would be very happy to be at a meeting with the Secretary of Transportation. I live in the DC area and I am self-employed so I have no problem getting there. Even though I managed after 3 months of getting no reasonable response from Ford, to talk a Ford dealer into replacing the transmission in my van even though the extended warranty had expired only 255 miles before my van quit moving, I am now still worried that it will fail again every time I get in it. I am also stopping anyone I see with a Freestar and telling them about the problems, and directing them to this site. They hate the message I am giving them, but they are glad to at least have a warning, unlike most of us. Someone, some day has to listen to us if we make enough noise!
    Why_me,

Look at it this way, unlike Ford, you are doing the right thing and you might actually save someone's life! Also, you are very fortunate that you got the dealer to replace your transmission. The rest of us weren't so lucky. My family is out almost 4K between the repair and the rental for the week. All we have been able to do is make minimum payments on the loan we had to take out to pay for this mess since November of '07 when this happened. We havn't even touched the principal balance. We actually owe more on just the repair itself than our van is actually worth! Plus, we have the added benefit of driving in constant fear that it will quit again. The irony of this thing is that the salesman, yes, THE SALESMAN, actually tried to talk me out of buying this thing when it was brand new! I should have listened and probablywould have if he would have been more specific about why he was trying to talk me out of it. Anyway, keep up the good work. Maybe we will all meet in person at the hearing?

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • jdan65jdan65 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2005 freestar it lasted about 3000 miles after paying $5400.00 for it The freestar only has 5200 miles on it and with no warning going down the interstate it just quit pulling, I almost got rear ended by 18 wheelers trying to get off road.. I have never had a vehicle quit with less warning it is surely a safety hazard, be sides not being able to have transportation I now can't afford another car payment with my social security income. If there is a lemon law I would like to know about it and how to proceed with a suit.
    I sent an email that stated that I was glad that Ford appreciated my feedback, but I demand to know how they planned on compensation for loss of value and repairs.

This is the email that I received from Ford Motor Company.

"Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company in regards to this issue. Our records indicate that a decision has been made and the Customer Relationship Center (CRC) can not overturn this decision. However, to ensure our records are complete we have documented your feedback."

I want to know what decision? They never told me that had made any decision.

I am going to put signs on my lawn, vehicles, and make fliers that say," FORD-Pinto, Explorer, Freestar, Firestone tires-Let them crash and burn-Ask me why you should not buy a Ford!

Many of my friends are going to do the same. I would suggest that we all become activates. Maybe that will get their attention and possibly the news media too.
    What a bunch of nonsense. Apparently the decision they are talking about is the decision Ford made to KNOWINGLY AND WRECKLESSLY put unsuspecting consumers in harms way by putting this defective product out into the marketplace and, on top of that, market it on its safety record! Or, is it the decision they made to LIE to me when I called the dealer and the dealer said they never heard of this problem before. Or, better yet, maybe it was the decision they made to LIE, IN WRITING, to the investigator for Attorney General for the State of MD, by stating that the model transmission in my vehicle is one other than what it is. I could go on and on with what I have been through because of these criminals and the DECISIONS thay have made.

You are absolutely right, Nadine. The suggestions you are making are excellent and are good ways to get the attentionof somebody. All it takes is one decent lawyer or news person to get ahold of this story for it to take hold and take off. I, for one, tell everyone I know and everyone I meet about Ford and what they have done to us. As sson as I can afford it, I am going to have either a wrap or a magnetic sign made up, as large as the tailgate on my defective F150, (Yes, I am blessed with 2 defective Ford products), stating, "Don't buy Ford. Ask me why." Followed by my phone number. Unfortunately, until I pay off the new transmission and the rental I needed to haul my family around in for a week, (Toyota Sienna - a work of art compared to the Freestar), I can't afford any more expenses.

In the meantime, keep up the good work and don't forget to let us know the results of your Freedom of Information Act Request.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • kkalbfleischkkalbfleisch Member Posts: 6
    Hey everyone. I have an 05 Freestar with 130 000km (80 000mi), and out of the blue one day, the van would not shift into reverse, drive etc. Tranny shop said the torque converter needed to be replaced (along with the seals and some electrical unit inside the tranny). It would have cost me 2500.00, but I have 6 months left on my warranty, so I got lucky with the financial aspect. After the repairs, it worked for a day or so and then the exact same thing happened (wouldn't go into gear). Turns out there was a ton of water in the PCM unit and the water was causing it to malfunction. They took the PCM out and dumped the water out and let it dry out. They then sealed the PCM connector with silicone and sealed the area where the water was getting in etc. It has been 2 weeks and so far things are as they should be. I am just wondering how long it is before the tranny has other issues etc. Is there a history of the tranny having more problems even after the torque converter etc. was replaced?

Kris.
  • shocked1shocked1 Member Posts: 85
    Well friends, after exactly 6mo. our rotten FORD'S tranny's acting up again!!!!! Ill junk it for $200 this time!!!!!!!!!
    I was told that Ford means F*** Old Rebuilt Dodge.

The April addition of Consumer Reports in the Used Cars section states that, "These models have piled up below-average records of reliability. Used cars to avoid." We had one dealer who told us that he would only give us $2500 for the thing. We paid over $9300 for it less than a year ago. This is like some vicious cycle of raping the consumer, and usually, it someone who can not afford the economic hit. Just like most of us.

Any wonder why the foreign manufactures are taken over the car industry. Did you know that Ford made tanks and other equipment for the [non-permissible content removed]? A friend on mine who happens to be Jewish told me that his family will not buy Ford based on that information. Wish I knew that sooner.
  • kaki1kaki1 Member Posts: 7
    At 60,000 miles the transmission died in my 2004 Freestar. At the time I was on a busy 4 lane highway in the number one lane with a friend and my two dogs in the car. Without warning the van was suddenly in neutral. The engine reved but no gears. I barely made it onto an exit and down to the service road shoulder. Seems it's the torque converter. The vanes sheared and fragged the transmission. Sound familiar?
    I'm looking at a $3500.00 bill. I'm picking it up tomorrow. Just thankful I wasn't on a two lane road passing another vehicle when it happened.
    Why isn't there a class action suit against Ford for this obvious and dangerous defect?
  • mercmontymercmonty Member Posts: 9
    my 2004 monterey has been having the same bucking symptoms for the last 20000 miles. Its been a while since i visited this forum, and now i see that some people are getting results by sealing the pcm module. Also has anyone had a problem with the low tire warning system and how do you fix it?

Glad to see a few people like Jim G. still giving them hell. :sick:
    There isn't a class action suit because as I was told by an attorney "It would cost $300,000.00, and in this economy with the car industry as it is, etc......" Like Jim and myself, if you're mad as hell, then write. If enough of us make a strong enough campaign to change something, we can do it together. It's worth the effort, and this is still America the last time I looked. We have a voice, and we need to be heard!

Congress is our tool to change what is happening. They work for us and as I was told by Ford, "NHTSA is the federal agency responsible for motor vehicle safety, and is the only organization with the authority to order a recall." Let your senators, congressperson, and the white house know what is happening to us.
    kaki1,
    You have asked the $64,000.00 question. Why isn't there a class action against Ford? Better yet, why hasn't there been a recall? I think the lawyer nadine referred to hit the nail on the head - somewhat. I do think the economy has something to do with it but, at the end of the day, its all about the money.

From an attorney's perspective, the likelyhood of collecting an award or getting paid is slim, regardless of how good a case we have.

From the perspective of the individual consumers, it is impossible to do it alone. We need to stick together and keep this thing going until either a reporter/media outlet takes an interest or an attorney who is motivated by something in addition to the money, (like principal, the moral component, or just plain doing the right thing). Take heart however; I'm sure the Pinto and Explorer victims faced the same odds before someone took up their cause.

From NHTSA's perspective, I can only imagine there is some behind the scene's deal where Ford is claiming that a recall will bankrupt them and that is the last thing this country needs is the 3rd of the "Big Three" going under, blah, blah, blah...
    Think about it; How much more dangerous of a defect can you imagine? When your transmission fails, without warning, and you have no control of your vehicle, that is about as perilous as it gets. It is no less dangerous than say, your brakes failing without warning. There either has to be some kind of backroom deal or the people at NHTSA are just as incompetent as the baffoons at Ford who designed this deathtrap on wheels.

From my perspective, I consider the conduct of Ford and NHTSA, given what Ford knew when they built and sold this vehicle and what NHTSA knows at this point, nothing short of criminal. I will not rest until somebody steps up and does the right thing. Ford put my family in harms way and NHTSA, through their negligence, continues to put other families in harms way. Anyone that knows me will tell you; If you know nothing else about me, understand this; Do not mess with my wife and children.

Our day will come. It is just a matter of time. Unfortunately, while Ford cowers in the corner and slithers through the grass, and NHTSA buries its collective head in the sand, families are still in grave danger and the odds are somebody will lose their life because of this defect. That is why it is critical that we keep this forum going and keep spreading the word.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
    Well said my friend!

Do we not live in America? For the people, by the people. I do not remember the Constitution saying for the corporation by the corporation. Ford and other automobile manufactures are making billions of dollars from hard working Americans by defrauding us and selling us defective products. It is really unconscionable that they can do this. Where are our public servants? I believe that NHTSA is a government agency not a corporate tool.

NHTSA told me that there is not a "magic" number for them when they decide to take action in these cases. What is the criteria for protecting us from this abuse of power? What about the children who are so put at risk?

Does anyone know if the car is stalled will the airbags deploy?

We must stick together!
    Between May 13 and now, Wikipedia has been edited. This statement has been removed. Wonder why?

"Reliability Issues: The main weak point of the Ford Freestar and Mercury Monterey is the poorly designed transmission system. Many have had or will have transmissions problems, requiring towing. There is a problem with the power train control module (PCM) as it can easily get wet and malfunction. Limp mode is not automatically engaged on the vehicle, the driver must disconnect the computer manually, allowing the vehicle to move without the computers faulty control. There is also a problem with the clutch, as it will wear out and not engage."
  • ThirstybootsThirstyboots Member Posts: 8
    Dear Jim,
    After sadly joining this group in November 2008, I submitted my complaint with the NHTSA. Today I got an email from the NHTSA
    Dear Sir or Madam:
    Thank you for reporting to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) concerning the transmission problem on your 2004 Ford Freestar.
    To assist us in evaluating this issue, please
    email or fax (202-366-1767) me a copy of the repair invoice. Thank you

Have you or anyone else gotten such an email. I am hoping that this is not a joke/hoax but the real thing, finally.
    Cathy
  • jtjd96jtjd96 Member Posts: 4
    Cathy,

I received the same e-mail today from Steve Chan (Safety Defects Engineer) from the NHTSA and have e-mailed him my repair invoice.

My 2004 Freestar had just under 40,000 miles when the transmission failed in December, 2008. I had it rebuilt with aftermarket parts for $1,600 at a local transmission shop. I asked them to look at the PCM and gave them the service bulletin that I found in this message thread. They looked at it and said it was fine. A few months later, the motor died out again on the road. This time, they checked the transmission and it was fine. They then looked at the PCM and sure enough, it was full of water. They followed the sealing repair provided in the service bulletin and tested it several times by hosing the van down with water. For about 3 days of work, they only charged me $100. I think they must have felt bad because I raised the PCM issue the first time around. Everything works fine now. I just drove from Chicago to Detroit and back with no problems. I was extremely nervous because I had my wife, 3 little kids and my parent in the van, but the van drove fine. Hopefully the combination of the rebuilt transmission with aftermarket parts and properly sealed PCM solves the problem.

Lastly, my mechanic told me to save the repair invoice because in the event there is a recall, I would be reimbursed by Ford the amount I paid for the repair. I don't know if this is true, but it would be nice to recoup the cost.
    I have been emailing Stephen McHenry with NHTSA about our issues. We had the front window resealed because we had water on the PCM. The dealer had to change the PCM, but we still had problems. They changed the wire harness after that because my husband was told by a mechanic that corrosion will be on both ends of the connectors, but we still had problems. They resealed the window again, added more protection to the cowl, but still issues. All this work cost one thousand dollars.

After all that, my husband drove the vehicle to Long Island from Delaware, the check engine light was on, and the transmission hesitated as he was inclining over bridges. Having been rear ended over a year ago in a different vehicle and just getting ready to have surgery for a torn rotator cuff, I could not drive that vehicle. We were told that if the vehicle looses power like this one, the air bags will not deploy if you are rear ended and pushed into another vehicle so we disclosed all the issues with the vehicle to a dealer and traded it in on a different vehicle (not a Ford). I will never own another Ford!

My senator told us to keep track of the vehicle. They just held hearing concerning lemon vehicles that are taken back by the company and then, resold. Several dealers told us that when vehicles are manufactured, and there is a problem on the line with a worker getting a part to fix, the line will keeps moving. The worker jams the part in the vehicle, but they never solve the problem. Our American car manufactures keep moving the vehicles through. Japanese manufacturers will stop the line and figure out what the difficulty is before they allow any other vehicles to go through solving the problems. Wonder why imports are a better quality?

Keep the pressure on NHTSA and Ford! I plan to keep doing my civic duty.

I've lost so much money on this vehicle that I can not afford, but I have a vehicle that I can drive now. I pray that they retire this vehicle, but I believe it will be back on the roadway again.

I am not giving up on this issue. I believe that I have been economically and criminally raped by Ford when they will not correct these sever issues that have the potential to seriously injury families. Any wonder why are car manufactures are going bankrupt?
  • turtle45turtle45 Member Posts: 4
    Could you send me the email address for Stephen McHenry
    I have not received this Email. All I got back from them was a form Email that was basically a blow-off. Please keep us posted on the outcome!

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
    Wow. It sounds like NHTSA might actually be getting involved! I am awaiting, but not expecting, an Email from someone there requesting a copy of my repair bill. They should still have my Email address. We'll see......

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
    I'd like the addy also. haven't received anything. :sick:
  • dalbertsdalberts Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

After what I have been reading my story won't sound any different than anyone else. I have a 2005 Freestar with about 85,000 miles on it. My wife and daughter were driving the vehicle on the highway Thursday June 4th when the transmission failed. As others have described, it was if the car went into neutral. The rpm's would increase when she stepped on the pedal but the car would not accelerate. Luckily she was close to an off ramp. I had it towed to my mechanic.

It did not seem right to have the transmission fail already. I started to do some research today and came across this site. I am glad I found this site! Thanks to those who have not let this issue die. This is a major safety issue and I will not feel comfortable after the repair. I have taken your advice and have already emailed NHTSA. I will be calling the Ford dealership next to let them know what I think about this issue.

David
  • yipman_styleyipman_style Member Posts: 10
    For those who's transmission failed. Can you honestly say all the proper transmission maintance was done? Like changing the fluid? And what's your driving style?

Can maintance help extend the life of the trans?
  • kaki1kaki1 Member Posts: 7
    I had all of the maintenance done at the prescribed time, including flushing the transmission fluid. I am not a "jack rabbit" driver. The transmission still went out suddenly.
    come on people, don't question us 602 customers of FORD'S junk!!!!!!! sure we did everything right...... are you a for5d dealer?????? :mad:
  • frustrated26frustrated26 Member Posts: 2
    In 2007 at 35000 miles the PCM got wet on my 2004 Freestar and was replaced by Ford, barely sliding in under the warranty and now today at 75,000 miles the transmission is gone. $2000 to rebuild. I haven't been able to read through all the posts here, but if someone could let me know what of any recourse I may have or who I should call or write to that would be greatly appreciated.
    This is not a maintenance issue or a driving style issue. All the maintenance in the world would not prevent this defect from causing these transmissions to fail. Ask the experts. They will tell you the same thing. I saw it for myself when my transmission was dropped and replaced at 45K miles. It is a defective and dangerous vehicle. End of story.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
    First and foremost, I hope no one got hurt. The first thing contact you need to make is to NHTSA by reporting your failure to them via their website. Just log on and follow the instructions. Make sure you have all of your vehicle's information handy when you do this, (VIN, mileage, etc.,) Then, call/write your local, state, and federal representatives. Let them know what happened and ask them what they can do to help you get some recourse. Also, tell everyone you know about this problem. Tell anyone that you see, at the grocery store, your kid's school, church, etc., who drives a Freestar or Monteray, (Mercury's version of the Freestar), that their very lives are in danger if they don't get their transmission fixed. Contact your local media outlets, television and print, and tell them your story. Also, save your receipts from your repair so that if and when there is a recall, you can recover some or all of your expenses. And, last but not least, keep us all informed as to your progress via this forum.

Jim Genovese
    Annapolis, MD
  • frustrated26frustrated26 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much for the info. I'm on it today and will keep you posted.
    NHTSA has opened a defect investigation. I would encourage everyone to get your voice heard by them about these vehicles. Send them your repair bills, towing expenses, and letters. The squeaky wheel gets the grease so be squeaky! Ask for a hearing under Title 49 of the United States Code 301.
  • momtobcltmomtobclt Member Posts: 19
    Good news!

Ford will not give me a copy of my warranty repairs. Can I find this another way? I didn't keep the receipts because I kept thinking it was the last time I would have to take it in. Ha

If I just give NHTSA my VIN number can they look it up?
  • 5thaveman5thaveman Member Posts: 10
    I have 04 Freestar with 142K miles on it. I had to replaced tranny 2-years ago...Van was fine until about 6 weeks ago when the RPM's started to flutter. Took in to dealer where they erased the bad codes and replaced the spark plugs and wire set ($640)...About three weeks ago I noticed that the RPM's still flutter a little bit when sitting still and when pressing on the gas peddle the RPM's shoot up higher than normal(3000RPM's) causing the van to "kick-back". What the hell is this?...I'm afraid to take back to dealer, maybe something that my pocket can't get fixed. Should I take it as a loss and try to find another vehicle or put my boxing gloves on with the dealer...?
  • thomas0555thomas0555 Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Freestar Transmission went out this weekend on highway. This van had about 70,000 miles. I was taking my wife and kids to airport. They almost missed the plane. It was good thing we left for airport early. I want to thank the policeman who help us. This van is a junk. I had minor problems with this van all the time, but I was hoping it would last for couple more years. I am going to wait on the cash for clunker and trade it in for Honda Fit.
  • blondtygblondtyg Member Posts: 4
    My Freestar had 42000 miles on it and I am driving to take my daughter to school when all of a sudden nothing. RPM's goes up but Van stays still. Had to have transmission replaced because ford does not acknowledge there is a problem however they do say if this happens to replace a valve. 2400 dollars later it is fixed. However with my husband deployed, 3 kids at home how inconvient is this and then ford being so mean saying there isnt a problem with the transmission. I am going to put this forum in my letter to the Texas Attorney General and to my congress man.
    We Just got a letter from the dealer stating that they need a large quanity of used 2005 Freestars and since we own one they wanted to buy it back and put us in another vehicle. So far on this Freestar in the year we have had it. Had to replace the transmission, the tires and now I think the brakes are going. Such a lemon.
    Has anyone else when it is raining or really humid have a metal sound like a barrel being rubbed with other metal. I was told it was nothing now wondering what it could be.
    I have also emailed the NHTSA and also spoke with ford who says there is nothing wrong with the transmission however the transmission company I used to put in a rebuilt transmission was told to use a differnt flow valve to correct the problem. I was driving my daughter to school and van only has 42000 miles on it. I am also in the process of writing my Congressmen.
  • tammy68tammy68 Member Posts: 1
    You can add our 2005 Freestar to the mess. We were driving from Gettysburg back home to Georgia on the 14th when our transmission died in North Carolina. We had about 80,000 miles on it. Thankfully we were out of the mountains and it quit right at an exit. We are very thankful we are all safe. Needless to say we had to line up a rental in order to get home and find a place to keep the van in NC. The van is still sitting in NC, but with the help of many wonderful people, should be in GA this week. We will have a regular garage look at it rather than the Ford Dealer. Thanks for your tips and advice. It is going to be difficult to trust this vehicle again, but who wants a car payment these days?
    I received an e mail from N H S A. Wanting a reply on what actually happened when my van stopped. So, hang in there "lemon" owners.
    The following quote was written to me in an email from the NHTSA thought I would share it with who ever needed it.

"If you are interested in filling a complaint you may call our Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 and a Customer Service Representative will be happy to assist you."
    :lemon:
  • spidergfxspidergfx Member Posts: 1
    Our 2005 Freestar has joined the crowd of transmission failures. My wife was driving on I-95 in CT when the speed suddenly dropped to 20mph while the rpms remained steady. Luckily, no accidents and she managed to "limp" into the Ford Dealership. They explained that the transmission needed to be replaced, at 42,000 miles, for $3500. The refurbished transmission will come with a 3 year-36,000 mile warranty. I know I'll be replacing this transmission as soon as the warranty expires. I wish I could unload this lemon but I still owe money on it.

After reading most of the posts here, I know my story is not unique. I only hope that since there are so many similar failures the NHTSA will take notice before the first fatality. I have lodged my complaint with them and hope everyone else has also. It is a simple procedure to do online at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/.
  • ann60ann60 Member Posts: 2
    My husband & I bought a 2004 Freestar Limited in January 2008. Within 4 months the Traction Control went out of it. Ford did help with the cost of that repair. Two months ago while running some errands, the van suddenly started running "rough" and the rpm's would go up but I couldn't get any speed. The local Ford dealership diagnosed loss of 3rd gear and something about the valve body and solenoid. Since this was going to be an expensive repair and neither Ford nor the dealership would help us out in any way, and the van is out of warranty; we took it to a reliable transmission specialist. He discovered water from the radiator in the transmission. Not only do we need a new transmission we may also need a new radiator. The van only has 46,000 miles on it. He said it appears to be a manufacturers defect. We still owe on the van, can't really get rid of it, can't really afford the repair, but will scrape it up somehow. I am filling a complaint with NHTSA.
    This is such a sorry situration. Come on FORD.... fess up... you made junk!!! Alot of them too!!!!! Why wait for a child to get killed? What if it would be one of your dealer's kids???? There is no reason to prolong a recall. Almost everyone on here has the same problem. NO WARNING, HIGH REPAIR BILLS. My husband has to retire July, he's 70, we are litterally "stuck" with this FORD'S junk now! I won't sale and jepordize anyone's life.

YOU ARE A PITIFUL COMPANY FORD! :mad:
  • sunburnsunburn Member Posts: 319
    The comment about finding coolant in the transmission fluid caught my attention. The Freestar's transmission cooler is external to the transmission (it's the finned tube that runs along the front, bottom of the radiator). I might be wrong, but I don't think goes through the radiator. If so, there shouldn't be any coolant in the transmision fluid.

When I get a chance, I'll crawl under my wife's Freestar to double check.
  • sunburnsunburn Member Posts: 319
    Well, I was wrong. The Freestar has a transmission cooler both externally and in the radiator. The cooler in the radiator is on the right-hand side of the radiator.
  • ann60ann60 Member Posts: 2
    Just as a follow up, I contacted our transmission mechanic yesterday and we have arranged to have a rebuilt transmission put in and a new radiator. The transmission will have a 3 year/100,000 mile warranty. It's going to cost in the neighborhood of $2500. A bargain compared to what the Ford dealership would charge. I have also filed a complaint with the NHTSA and sent a letter to Ford. The letter to Ford will do no good, but we have to try, I don't expect to get any kind of response.