Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestar Audio/Entertainment Questions

bournsmithbournsmith Member Posts: 2
Does anyone know anything about the entertainment system on a 2005 Ford Freestar?
I want to try to change it so my kids don't have to use the headphones to watch a dvd in the back and I will still be able to listen to a cd or the radio up front. Any ideas?

Comments

• dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Is this a factory unit or aftermarket? If it is factory, I woud check the owner's manaul or check the ford website for instructions. If it is an aftermarket, check the company's website. They should have given you the manuals with installation.

I have DVD player in my van and you can either listen to it on the radio or through the headphones. It does not have the ability to listen to a differnet radio station or CD while the rear listens to the DVD through the radio.
  • bournsmithbournsmith Member Posts: 2
    It is a factory installed entertainment system. I fixed my problem. I took the speakers from my old computer and hooked them up to the head phone hookup in the back of the van. Now my small children can listen to the movie through the speakers and my older children can use the head phones. And I can listen to the radio. We have tried it out and it works quite well.
    Great Solution!
  • coreyjepcoreyjep Member Posts: 1
    I am curious to know if anyone knows of a way to utilize the auxilary sound of the installed sound system with an external source such as a portable DVD player? I am purchasing for a long drive and would like fam to have a better listening experience. I have a 2006 Ford Freestar with the AM/FM 6 disc. No factory installed entertainment. Hope you can help.
  • mercmontymercmonty Member Posts: 9
    I own a 2004 Monterey and i was wondering if i could easily install a factory dvd system in it? It has rear heat and audio controls and i was wondering if i remove those components will there be hook-ups present for the dvd system or will i have to run more wires. Hope someone can help. :blush:
    Why not just install an aftermarket system? Any audio-visual store can install a unit for you cheaper than the factory.
  • abchiabchi Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Freestar - It has the factory DVD entertainment system. I can't get the DVD to play through the audio speakers at all - seems to work only via headphones. Am I missing something? Bought it used and the DVD brochure is not with the car.

:confuse:

Thanks in advance for any help.

ab
    Since no one has answered your post, I'll give it a try. What happens if you push the "Aux" button? Are there any controls in the rear seat? Did a remote control come with the car?
  • abchiabchi Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for answering...

I have a remote control - but doesn't seem to help. When I hit Aux on the in-dash, it just gives me a "No Aux Source" message.

There is a control panel in the back, but again, can't switch away from the headphone only mode. It would seem to be straight-forward, but so far, we just can't get it to work.
  • duffy13duffy13 Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Ford Freestar, which I bought used, came with a factory installed entertainment system. It's taken me a year to figure our how to get the sound working (a user error -- it really took me a year to read the manual). I was so pleased, especially the discover the previous owner left a Bob-the-Builder DVD in the player (a freebie I didn;t even have to negotiate for!) My enthusiasm waned and turned to disappointment when I discovered it won't eject. The eject button on the player actually pulls up the setup menu. The eject button on the remote work. It appears that the disc disengaged from the drive (pops up slightly) but it doesn't "spit out." I unscrewed the player from the ceiling, but the player itself is entirely enclosed. I wondered if the DVD might be warped from hot days in the sun, but it does play wonderfully. I just think we may ultimately get tired of Bob-the Builder. Any thoughts? Will I have to replace the entire unit. Or will I have to get reid of the van when we want to watch something else?
  • grunt76grunt76 Member Posts: 1
    My factory AM/FM Stereo Cassette/CD Player is displaying "Tape Eject" although no tape is in the player and hasn't been for sometime. Because of this, the CD player will not load a CD. All I have access to is the radio. Anyone have a solution?
  • jklm1999jklm1999 Member Posts: 1
    A few months ago while driving down the road, we hit a bump and the DVD player and our radio stopped working.
    Can someone suggest what can be wrong. My kids have been so patient with mom, but I feel bad that we don't even have music to listen. Thank you in advance.
  • khizermajeedkhizermajeed Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    hey excuse me cn u tll me where du u get the aux port in ford freestar 2006. please leave a reply on my e-mail address i will be very thankfull 2 u my mail id is khizer.majeed@hotmail.com
  • blakespice1blakespice1 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2012
    Did you ever installl a factory dvd player in your Monterey? I ask because I just bought a 2004 Monterey and I haved a factory dvd player that I want to install and wondered if the wiring is allready in place or do I have to wire it? I also wondered if when I take down the headliner to install the OEM dvd and OEM dvd bracket will the headliner be already marked on the other side as to where it should be trimmed to to install the mounting bracket and is there aready a place for that bracket to be connected to? Thanks, Richard Blake Email: blakespice1@yahoo.com
  • blakespice1blakespice1 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2004 Mercury Monterey and would like to install an OEM DVD Player with OEM DVD Bracket. The DVD is from a 2004 Freestar and I have a OEM remote and 2 earphones. I wonder if the wiring is already in place when I remove the head liner or do I have to wire it and if there is a place already to bolt in the bracket? I also wonder if the interior side of the headline is marked in any way to indicate where it should be trimmed or if a pattern is available? (perhaps if there is already a setup to install the bracket it woulld just be a matter of knowing where to cut a small portion out without removing the head liner and figure where to cut once you establish where the bracket goes if wiring is also in place? There was an after market DVD in place and a 1" hole exists already with wiring to the dome light it appears with some type of a pin connector that goes somewhere? Any help woulld be appricated before I start this project! Richard Blake (email: blakespice1@yahoo.com)
  • prhodes2prhodes2 Member Posts: 2
    DID YOU EVER FIGURE OUT WHAT TO DO TO GET THE FORD FREESTAR DVD PLAYER TO PLAY THROUGH SPEAKERS? IT ONLY WANTS TO PLAY THROUGH THE WIRELESS HEADPHONES. DO YOU HAVE TO PUSH A BUTTON ON THE REAR CONTROLS IN CEILING OR ON RADIO??? THANKS AND GOD BLESS, PATRICK RHODES OR PATRHODES@GMAIL.COM
  • prhodes2prhodes2 Member Posts: 2
    DID YOU EVER FIGURE OUT WHAT TO DO TO GET THE FORD FREESTAR DVD PLAYER TO PLAY THROUGH SPEAKERS? IT ONLY WANTS TO PLAY THROUGH THE WIRELESS HEADPHONES. DO YOU HAVE TO PUSH A BUTTON ON THE REAR CONTROLS IN CEILING OR ON RADIO??? THANKS AND GOD BLESS, PATRICK RHODES OR PATRHODES@GMAIL.COM
  • flenkerflenker Member Posts: 1
    We have an '04 Monterey. In our van you have to push the button with a picture of a headphone/speaker button located in the ceiling in the back of the van. (Where the rear heat/ac buttons are located) It will toggle it back and forth between headphones and speakers. When it is in headphone mode we can each listen to our own sound. For example, the back seats can be listening to dvd player and the front seat listening to radio. Hope this helps!