Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Windstar Transmission

Comments

• apocpgapocpg Member Posts: 4
    I had the same problem since i bought the van 2 years ago and the previous owner had the problem for as long has he had it. anyways i replaced the range sensor(located top of trans.. under air cleaner) that didnt fix the problem so i took it to a local trans shop for a diagnostics and the only error that came up was speed sensor. i replaced the easier on first located driver side on the trans.... take off tire and you can see it. that one didnt solve the problem so the last one is on the back of the transmission which is difficult to get at as you have to remove your exhaust and heat shield.
    for that sensor you have the options of with speedo cable or without. mine was with speedo cable and his early 95 model.
    it took me about 6 hours to replace all sensor. if you have a 10 mm speed wrench the back sensor will be a breeze

hope this helps

Ryan
  • mfacdgba33mfacdgba33 Member Posts: 19
    if the speed sensors are gapped right and the teeth that go by the sensor to tell it how fast the wheel is turning are clean since brake dust collects on them and sometimes build up on the and set in like concrete. check with a volt meter to see if you have continuity and good olms from all sensors. also make sure that none of the wires are broke looseing rubber insulation and/or shorting out. also there is a road test on a machine that lets you act like it driveing but on rollers and tests if the trans and driv system is working right. sometimes all they will have to do is tinker with the shift timeing and the force that it will shift at. and sometimes its just that the trans filter is clogged and fluid cant get to the torque cunverter or internal systems. let me know what you find out
  • kpphpkpphp Member Posts: 1
    Just had my 2003 Windstar in for the same problems (chatter and ABS & emergency lights coming on). Here's what my paperwork states: Found fault codes fro ABS ECU. Need to replace the ABS ECU. Found the Torque Converter to be malfunctioning. Torque converter will be replaced. I'm lucky I'm still covered with a 6 year extended warranty with a $50 deductible! Good luck to you.
  • jimmytojimmyto Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

My girlfriend has a Windstar 2003 with 176k KM on it. The Auto transmission has broken 3 times and now the 4th transmission is slipping again. She got charged by Ford last time $600 to get a replacement one under a special program they have. She's been paying $600 a month on this purchase for the past 5 years and she has a balance of $7500 on it. Ford suggested they buy out the vehicle and we get into a newer one....

Is this acceptable? Can we sue Ford for a bad product? Your advice is much appreciated.
  • joe52553joe52553 Member Posts: 1
    My 98 Windstar transmission will sometimes not shift past second gear or downshift to 2nd gear, even at highway speeds. No rhyme or reason. The fluid is clean and not burned. Does this car have electronic control? Any suggestions?
  • mswatson27mswatson27 Member Posts: 1
    I had never noticed my transmission slipping or leaking. I drove to St. Louis (about 150 miles) without any issues. On my way home, I was about 25 miles from my exit when I noticed white smoke coming from my van. I stopped immediately. The smoke cleared quickly, but I saw transmission fluid all over the back of my van and down the side of the interstate!!! The van still went into drive and reverse fine. I have about 142,000 miles on the van, and it's always been routinely serviced. Any thoughts?
  • jetawayjetaway Member Posts: 14
    You are wasting time and money by changing sensors that you don't know need to be changed.You need to have the computer scanned and that should lead you directly to the culprit if the problem is a bad sensor at all.As for the other guy the sensor on the back {drivers side}of the trans behind the wheel is the turbine {input} shaft sensor.The one behind the exhaust is the VSS {vehicle speed sensor}.When the mechanic checked his car the code will tell you specifically which sensor to change.You cannot guess with electronics .As far as the MLPS {manual lever position indicator}which also acts as a neutral safety switch there is a part number stamped right on the part.It is located on the back of the trans near the fire wall.You have to remove the 15mm nut that holds the shift cable to the linkage shaft.Then unplug the sensors wires and remove the 2 10mm bolts that hold down the sensor,Then you can slide the sensor off the linkage shaft.On a 95 you may have to pry the sensor off due to corrosion on the shaft.They often break while removing them but your replacing it anyway.Get the codes and post them here .Your car is not OBD2 so you will need the older style scanner connection.
  • badluckgirlbadluckgirl Member Posts: 1
    I have just experienced similar major breakdown of the transmission in my 2003 Windstar. It died unexpectly on a major highway while en-route to a funeral. A replacement transmission has been installed but the O/D indicator light goes on immediately. At low speeds a clunking sound and jerking motion occurs. The autoservice shop blames it on having been supplied a faulty replacement transmission, while the transmission supplier says it is an electrical problem. I have paid $3300 for the work and still do not have an operational vehicle. The autoservice company has returned the Windstar on a flatbed to our driveway. What can you tell me about the special transmission program operated by Ford? Any other suggestions would also be welcome.

BadluckGirl
  • happyfacecarolhappyfacecarol Member Posts: 2
    It is a bad tranny. Same thing happened to my 1999 Windstar. After 3 tranny,s later seems to be running fine. As for Ford, good luck. Your machanic should replace it without charging again.
  • pullithardpullithard Member Posts: 3
    Today my wife and daughter and friends were going to see American Idol when the van started to hesitate and then nothing!! Now the van won't go into D,1,2,or R. Although N works well when I pushed it off the highway completely. It is still sitting there until I decide what to do with it. It had no symptoms accept the odd tug like an Ironman was connected to the back trying to pull the van from behind. The tranny only has 25000 miles on it!!(second). Is the whole tranny shot, or is it another problem? I hate to drop more money into this heap but cannot afford a new car. Oh by the way the codes are 00/00 so that's what's perplexing me?

Thanks

Jay
  • jimmytojimmyto Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

They call it the Good will program, only applicable once to clients. This whole thing is a rip off trying to convince my girlfriend to switch to another vehicle. 4 transmissions is simply not acceptable.
  • jeaks4jeaks4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 windstar with a 3.8 V6. The transmission was recently changed with a salvage transmission that operated properly when taken to the salvage yard and was guaranteed. Was installed and will run fine in low gear, but while in drive when it is supposed to shift to second, it shifts into neutral until you slow down enough, then it will shift back into low. Reverse works fine and it does not slip or shift hard, it just wont shift past low. All sensors on the transmission itself have been changed with the old transmission. Any ideas?
    Sorry to hear about your Tranny problems.

The problems with these tranny's are common and unless you are getting a rebuild expect to replace it every couple of years. Rebuilds are the way to go as they correct the problems that have been plaguing these tranny's for the last 15 years. Therefore, the salvaged one while cheaper will not do you much good, unless you put one in and sell it. However, that would not be very nice.

Good luck. The Tranny will have to be pulled. I have a PDF of the 95 tranny's that tells you how to problem solve this problem if you want it. Let me know your e-mail.

Jason
  • todd463todd463 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I'm selling a transmission that was pulled out of a 95 Windstar. It was rebuilt by Ford and only has about 5000 miles on it. A guy e-mailed me and asked if it would fit into his 1998 Windstar, which also has the 3.8L.
    I'm a diesel mechanic, not an auto mechanic, so I don't want to steer him wrong.
    Thanks in advance!
    Todd
  • inkitupinkitup Member Posts: 1
    This happened 1 1/2 years earlier and had it fixed at AAMCO for $2400. I was in stop and go traffic when all of a sudden my RPM shot way up and and I had no drive. I pulled over only to find out I only had park and permanent neutral. They said I needed an new torque converter, new pressure control sensor, new assy. Kit, filter - 2nd design, and new overdrive band.

Well, at 1:30pm today I was returning home and was turning a corner, at 5mph, when all of a sudden my RPM shot way up and I had no drive. There was no noise associated with this at all. I coasted off to the side only to find out I had no R,D,1,2 and only park and permanent neutral again.

If the work was done, could any of this actually have fixed the issue I'm having?

Now, I'm wondering if this all was even necessary or if they even did the work? I have been reading about this problem all over the net and it seems to be a big problem with this model. I have read it could be the TRS, a mis-programmed PCM or even the VSS.

Does anyone have a possible solution? Or, has anyone had this same problem and have it fixed properly? And if so, what was done to solve it?

Fred
  • robertsin1robertsin1 Member Posts: 1
    seal it, sell it and buy a honda.
  • mustangracer09mustangracer09 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 windstar with the 3.8 v6. About a year ago the trans went i did not have R D 2 1. About 6 month ago we found a van same year with rebult trans. put that in and a week after it started hanging in second gear. the van sit untill 3 weeks ago when we put in a new computer. Van ran great untill about 3 days ago then after running awhile its starts to hang in second again. it was doing this when it had the other trans in it before it went. i just replaced the speed sensor on the back of the trans yesterday and now it will shift but very hard. i am lost at this point. dose anyone have any sugestions? all info will help Thanks

James
    there is another speed sensor on the driver side. you have to remove the wheel to access it. also have you replaced the range sensor on top of the transmission?
  • hotbocho65hotbocho65 Member Posts: 1
    I was at a red light and my transmision just went dead no revers or foward i had to tow it home. Any one had this problem with there Winstar. Please let me know thank you is there away for me to fix this problem.Thank you :confuse:
  • akdaltonakdalton Member Posts: 1
    While my wife was driving our ford, the van stopped running. The engine turns on but the van will not move when put into any gear. A fly by night machanic looked at it for about 2 minutes while in the dark. He told me the transmission needs replaced. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you-
    Sorry about this but it is the torque converter. It will need to be ripped out which is costly and difficult. Overall, it will cost you about $1000.00-1500.00. I did mine myself and with the special lift and tools I think I will leave it for a mechanic next time. Difficulty rating on doing this job at home, subjectivley I gave it a 9.0/10.

Good luck.
  • jax1lightningjax1lightning Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 windstar and when we put it into Drive it doesn't move
    when we put it into reverse it goes forward (Thru all gears)
    can't get it to go backwards in any gear??
    What happened?
    Thanks Jack
  • maroonedsailormaroonedsailor Member Posts: 2
    Have you checked your shift linkage? Does it go into park normally and start in neutral? More info please.
  • jax1lightningjax1lightning Member Posts: 2
    No it does not go into park only neutral.
    Hows is that module on top of the tranny that the shift linkage
    goes into adjusted? Maybe its out of ADJ?
    How does it adjust?
    Jack
  • snickers49242snickers49242 Member Posts: 3
    mine was the over drive sensor
  • dsmith197dsmith197 Member Posts: 1
    To make a long story short, we moved form ohio to colorado and when pulling one of the mountains in co. my transmission went out. we were quoted a price of 3000.00 to put in a new one. we have had no other problems with this car. It used no oil on our trip and ran great untill I started losing the transmission fluid. Anyway we can't decide if we want to put that money in the repairs or look for something else. Any advice would be get.
  • vycj106vycj106 Member Posts: 1
    Times are tough fix it then you know at least you have a new transmission Mine went out I had 1 quote from 600.00 3 month warranty (from a friend) and a2nd quote 2500.00 for 2yr deal. I took the 2yr option he used a special hi flow part that lubricated the transmission 4 holes instead of 2 to increase the life of the transmission I can get the exact part no. if u decide to fix it
  • bf1024bf1024 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 95 windstar for $800. Seller said he just put a 98 tranny in it. Test drive ran fine, paid the $800, drove it home. After tranny heated up, notice hard jerk between 1st & 2nd gear. Took to trans shop, said the code came back as 'improper shift ratio'. I now understand a 98 tranny wont work in a 95 windstar. I checked the data plate on top...it reads F48F-7000-BB...Then I pulled driver side tire and the stamp on trans housing reads RF-F30P-70234-BA. Also noticed uphill that it sometimes feels like driving over a rumble strip. Is it possible the previous owners friend (said he was mechanic) did piecemeal part of a 98 tranny in there, due to different numbers on dataplate and housing, if so what is the correct transmission to use in this vehicle. VIN # is 2FMDA5141SBC62359 .Does it sound like the torque converter is shot due to occasional rumbling as well...I have it parked & jacked up till I decide if I'm gonna pull the tranny but need some direction 1st as far as if it sounds like I have mismatched parts in there that wont work, and what I need to buy to fix this problem...Thanks in advance. Can email me at dudley1955@gmail.com
  • windstar123windstar123 Member Posts: 1
    I put in a rebuilt transmission in my Windstar through AAMCO at 67K miles. Total cost was $2200 and it came with a 12K mile warranty. I should have bought the lifetime warranty ($1400 more) because my transmission just failed again at 124K miles. I take very good care of my car and I drive slowly - from what I have read - Ford engineers selected the wrong transmission for this car - it just cannot handle the load. I strongly recommend that you get the Lifetime warranty if you decide to put in a rebuild - otherwise do not do it - get another car. best of luck
  • myclunckermycluncker Member Posts: 1
    i have a 97 windstar 3.0 was driving it and parked it and now when i take off it will not shift out of first gear revers is ok to just no 2nd 3rd or od any ideas to what it may be
    i have a 99 windstar that chatters going into any gear so i am in the middle of a tranny swap. you can see if there is any codes popping up. the neutral safety switch on the top of the tranny might be the culprit but if not it looks like a new tranny is needed..... you can also check the fluid levels as well and the filter could use replacing
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    edited May 2010
    Are there any years of Windstar vans that seem to have fewer transmission problems than others? I know the 1995-1998 generation seems to be the worst offender but I also see problems in this thread with 1999 to 2003 models. I am looking at several 1999-2003 Windstars in various conditions along with 1996-2000 Chrysler vans and some 1996-up Astro/Safaris. I won't touch a FWD GM van unless it's a nice older model (92-96 or so) with the 3800 engine. Evidently the 3400 motor in the later first generation and ALL of the second generation vans commonly has intake manifold gasket problems and can really eat your lunch. Really wish they had made the 3800 optional from 97-on, would have solved a lot of problems.

Can some other owners chime in about their transmission histories for other 1999-2003 Windstars? Has anyone hit 200K without a major transmission repair?

And finally, is the Windstar like the Taurus, where there are two transmissions, one asynchronous (AX4N, found on later 3.0's and most 3.8's and all Duratechs) and one synchronous (AX4S, most with 3.0 engine through 2003) and the AX4S models is more prone to failure because it makes the transmission shift through every gear instead of skipping gears?

I've learned when looking at a used Taurus to check under the transaxle and count the bolts and all that. Should I do the same with Windstars?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Our 1997 has not had any transmission problems, it is at about 123,000 miles and we even towed a pop up camper for many years. Probably around 10,000 of those miles involved towing.

Certainly we had other significant problems (engine gaskets) but for the trans we replaced one small part that was leaking (some sort of cover, IIRC) and that minor problem is it. We changed trans fluid at 30, 60, 90 K miles.
  • boss302jboss302j Member Posts: 15
    Our 2000 has around 115k on it. I had to replace the torque converter around 96k. Did it myself so it wasn't all that expensive. That is the worst thing that has happened to my van. Engine has been fine, overall has been a good vehicle.
  • mikecantwellmikecantwell Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 98 Ford Windstar and soon found out the transmission slipped bad after about 15 minutes of driving. I put a new transmission in and now have 8 OBD codes related to the powertrain. The codes are: PO122, PO743, PO750, PO751, PO755, PO756, PO760, PO761. The van surprisingly runs fine and shifts smooth but seems to start in second, and the speedo only works intermittently, both were also problems before the new tranny. The only other new problem that I can tell is the gear select lever on the console won't move occasionally. It seems strange that I am having the same problems with the new tranny as the old, is there anything else that could be related to this problem, computer of PCM possibly?

The overdrive light on the shift lever is also flashing...

Thanks,
    Mike
    Our 1997 has not had any transmission problems...
    until today. My daughter had been using it to move and on her way home it would mostly not shift to 3rd.
    ...and today it is shifting normally again. :confuse:
    It sounds like a speed sensor, there is two of them, one is on the side of the tranny which you can see if you remove the driver side tire. The other one is more tricky to get at, it is located on the back of the transmission. i was having the same problems and it ended up being the rear sensor. take it to a tranny shop and have the problem scanned and if you are up to it you can replace it yourself hope this helps
    Thanks. I'm hoping that might be the cause. Yesterday I'd looked up the labor times for various transmission repairs and speed sensor was only about 1.2 hours, IIRC...much, much less than many others.

Did it come and go, like mine has, when you had this problem? I read some things that talked about maybe a need to clean those sensors, when it was working again today I thought that might be the cause.
  • mrnmrsweibel1mrnmrsweibel1 Member Posts: 4
    We have a 2000 Windstar with 140,000 and haven't had any transmission problems. We've had to have other stuff to do with cooling repaired but it runs great and gets great gas mileage. I can't remember the numbers but it takes less than a quarter tank for a three hour trip (45 miles local the rest highway). Unfortuantly its parked right now because the engine cradle is rusted to the point I was told not to drive it but I got the new part and I'm just waiting to get it to the garage to be fixed.
  • 1998lincoln1998lincoln Member Posts: 108
    Sounds like it could be the torque convertor ! It could be striped out !
  • 1998lincoln1998lincoln Member Posts: 108
    Sounds like it could be the torque convertor lockup
  • helphoustonhelphouston Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    Just driving down the road and transmission just went away. Engine running fine. No vacuum leaks, no simple indicators? Would it be the speed sensor or something worse? No visible leaks. Nothing broke. NO major clunk when it quit. Just cruising along, then coasting ... No 1st, 2nd, 3rd or reverse. No check engine light either.
  • boss302jboss302j Member Posts: 15
    Torque converter stripped out?
  • babioshbabiosh Member Posts: 1
    i would like a copy of the PDF FOR THE 95 TRANNY WINDSTAR
    slijon@yahoo.com
  • jim7114jim7114 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Ford Windstar, 130,000, and after I drive above 2000 rpm or about 60 mph for a few minutes the od off light flashes and the rpm jumps up a few hundred. As long as I drive about 55 I can go forever without any problems. The reverse also slipped. The couple I bought the van from said this started after they had the trans overhauled. I have had the transmission rebuilt and the torque converter replaced. I also had the compute replaced on the advice of a transmission mechanic. The problem is still there. Does anyone know what it could be??????
  • cantafordcantaford Member Posts: 1
    I've got a problem that I'm not sure can be fixed. I was driving my 95 Ford Windstar and towing a boat when I got caught in bumper to bumper traffic in 100 degree weather. The trans fluid got so hot that the pan opened up and started hemorrhaging fluid. The van had a small additional trans cooler mounted in front of the radiator. I ultimately had to give up when the fluid was gone and the trans began to (not work anymore). I didn't have a owners manual and didn't know that the trans dipstick specified the fluid type. I sent my wife to Advance auto with all the vehicle info she would need, and they sold her 4 gallons of Dexron 111 fluid. I was an hour away when she came to my "rescue". I put a gallon in and drove thirty miles before it leaked out. Put another gallon in and got 10 miles. This was a 8 hour ordeal and it was 11 PM by then. Gave up and abandoned the vehicle and boat at that point. Put a third gallon in and ran it till it cooled down. I went back the next day and tightened up the pan bolts and the leak stopped.
    As it turns out, the fluid was the wrong stuff. It calls for Mercon fluid. Don't know if there's any hope for this now) as the trans is slip slip slipping (mostly in first gear). I can still drive it if I take it real easy on the throttle. I drove it with Dexron in it for about a hundred miles before I realized it had the wrong fluid in it. I'm attempting to change the fluid now. This is a 3.8 liter engine with the AX4S Automatic transmission. I'm attempting to flush all the fluid from the trans and torque converter. I see that there are top and bottom cooler lines into the radiator (vertical cooler) with spring clips apparently holding the lines to their radiator inlets. I've removed the bottom clip (assuming that this is the return line). What now? I am unfamiliar with this type of connection. All the other cars I've ever owned simply have a hose clamp holding the hose on a nipple.
    Does this connection require a special removal tool or do you just pry the line out? Typically I'd just remove the return line hose, connect a length of hose, run the vehicle in gear till the fluid came out red and clear. If this metal return line can be pulled from its inlet then it seems that the fluid is just going to shoot from the outlet all over the place.
    Should I just disconnect the lines at the transmission? I see there are top and bottom lines there with clips that look like they're holding taper type (brake line type) connections. If I go this route, it looks like I could run a length of hose from the return line to catch the returning fluid. Once again I'm assuming that the bottom connection is the return line. If anyone is familiar with this AX4S flushing procedure please help me out. Am I wasting my time trying to change the fluid? It's gonna take 12 quarts or so to exchange what's in there and I don't know if it's worth doing, considering all of the above abuse it suffered.
  • gjcarpet1846gjcarpet1846 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    When pulling the shift lever from park to any gear does not work correctly. For example: The shift indicator says that the transmission is in Drive, but the transmission is actually in Neutral or Second. The shift lever can slip up and down in between gears. You have to pull the lever down into neutral and then into reverse in order to get it into reverse. If there's anyone out there can give me some pointers to help me out with this please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Gunner
  • liz101liz101 Member Posts: 1
    i have noticed that my van has problems shifting between 1st and 2nd gear, but it will rarely do it when it is cold... like if I drive it to one place, like work, and then go to leave it will stutter between 1 and 2. This still could be the nuetral safety switch right? I mean a new transmission was put in it about three years ago, and I have a new switch to put on it, but my husband doesn't want to break it so it hasn't been put on yet.. But he was thinking that the transmission was slipping.. But it sounds to me like the nuetral switch. I didn't know that it could cause that kind of problem.
  • bf1024bf1024 Member Posts: 2
    NOPe, your tranny is on the way out again...you were lucky to get 3 yrs out of the rebuild. Mine did fine when cold, when it heated up, it had problems between 1st & 2nd...after that, wouldn't go into OD....Took a tranny rebuild class at local collega, tore down the tranny, and many of my clutches and friction disks were burned up. One hard part...a hub on the end of the drive gear..was also worn down...I rebuilt it, it didn't last long either....give up on the Windstar and its AX4S transaxle...you'll be throwing good money after bad.