Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Windstar Electrical Problems

Comments

• fscolesfscoles Member Posts: 9
    When our '95 Windstar had the same list of problems (except for the radio) I sprayed some WD40 (or other penetrating spray lube) into each door (including the two hatch door locks, Left & Right sides) lock, then the problem was cured for another year or so. Any of the door switches not correctly setting or being intermittent could cause these symptoms. This may or may not be your solution..but it takes only a minute to do, without having to disassemble anything.
  • benniebbennieb Member Posts: 2
    I tried spraying the locks of all of the doors including the hatch. I sprayed both locks on the sliding doors. I started the van up and everything works. Thanks for this information. Maybe someone should tell Ford how to solve this problem. What a savings from haveing to take it to Ford and still not get the problem solved as some I have read about. Yes event the radio works the way it should

Thanks again :)
  • dirtkingdirtking Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Windstar and every time I pull into a parking lot my wife always tells me where to park. Very confusing,,, WHY? Any suggestions will be GREAT! LOL
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I would try sitting in the passenger seat and see if the problem with the confusing sounds still occurs. Of course, you will need someone else to drive (your wife, perhaps?) as it would be dangerous for you to try to drive while sitting in the passenger seat.

:D
  • retired8retired8 Member Posts: 15
    The Ford garage fixed my neighbor's window once, but it's doing it again. I just fixed my Town Car windows with the three little plastic lumps that go into the gear case, so thought I might take a stab at this. Problem is the window does not work from either driver or passenger switch. No noise or anything. Anybody had the same problem? Broken wire somewhere? Thanks-- Charlie
  • BEAR8216BEAR8216 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Limited. We only drive the car on weekends now. Has 38k miles on it. We were out last weekend driving home from the store. We were at a stop light, the A/C shut off. We proceeded after the light turned green, then the a/c came back on. A mile down the road, it quit again, this time the information center went out, the car stating running rough, the windows would not go down and who knows what else. We were able to get home and the doors and locks would not open with the buttons. I charged the battery overnight, the next day, all was working normal. Yesterday, a week later, we drove on the freeway to a store and on the way home, the windows stopped working. My wife had rolled hers down, but would not go back up. I put the charger on the battery when we got home. 1 hour later, she went and tried the window, it rolledup just fine. What is going on? Help.
  • BEAR8216BEAR8216 Member Posts: 2
    It was the Alternator that went bad.
  • dalehandalehan Member Posts: 2
    I am having a problem with the rear window washer and wiper. The #7 fuse in the relay box under the hood keeps blowing immediately after installing a new one. I took it to a mechanic and he tried disconnecting the wiper and later the washer pump, but the fuse keeps blowing. He said it would take a while to trace all the wiring to find the short.
    Has anyone else had the same or a similar problem related to the wiring in the 2001 Windstar or close model years? I would like to know if there is a good place to start the search.

Thanks, Dale
  • momzvanmomzvan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Windstar with 48K miles.....no matter how hard I slam the liftgate - the "ajar" light stays on. Yes - I have tried WD40 with no luck.......My battery has also died three times in the last 2 weeks. I have a 16 month old and a disabled husband....I really could use some help to try and fix it myself. I did purchase an extended warranty with the van but the dealer said they would charge me $80 - $90 just to diagnose the problem. :confuse:
  • drew77drew77 Member Posts: 1
    I just recently had my power steering fixed, when i got it back the radio wasn't working, before it was working fine. Now there is no sound, and the digital display is blank, nothing. Then later I removed the radio console to replace the heating actuator and when I put the radio back in place the rear control for the radio began working. Now it is just the front radio control console that isn't working. All the fuses have been checked and are fine. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks
  • jcraig61jcraig61 Member Posts: 1
    I am having a starting problem with my 2000 windstar, when i turn the key dash lights up heater comes on but nothing from the starter, i am also having major charging issues, i have replaced the altenator, battery and still never know when it will be chatrged when i try and start it, sometimes it will be almost stone dead 5 minutes after turning it off.
    Please help ready to BURN this piece of junk
  • dalehandalehan Member Posts: 2
    Hello,I have a 2001 Windstar and recently had problems with the electrical system too. However my problems were different from yours. Mine started with a rear wiper and washer pump that wouldn't work due to a blown fuse in the fuse block under the hood. Then a few days later, the fuse for the rear quarter windows kept blowing if you tried to open them, and my keyless entry pad would not work either. That fuse was connected to my radio so I couldn't live without that. I needed to find out what was causing the problems. My mechanic finally traced the problem to some melted wiring in the harness in the drivers side door. He traced the wire going to the rear windows from the fuse block under the hood and also from the fuse block under the dash on the drivers side. That one is the one for the rear windows and radio in my van. He literally had to tear apart the interior of my van to trace the wiring at a cost of $865.00, and that was with a 10percent discount because I bought the car from this particular lot. They first have to diagnose the problem before they can fix it. He charged $75 per hour do to that. They had the van for the better party of 5 days and he didn't even charge me the full amount of hours he could have. I guess he felt sorry for me. I had bought the car there only a year before. If you have the money to spend, I would have a mechanic begin to look at all the wiring and trace it along the way and see if he can find where the wires are shorting out. Maybe he will get lucky and be able to find it right away so it won't cost you so much money. If you have a mechanic that you use regularly, he may cut you a little slack on the labor. We had to find a new wiring harness for my van at a cost of $118.00 and it was the last new one in the country as far as the internet seach was concerned. But you may find one in a junk yard as I guess Ford doesn't make parts for these cars any longer. Good luck and I hope this has helped you a little. Dale
  • jkg3jkg3 Member Posts: 3
    I guess I'm not alone after reading these posts. My '99 Windstar will do things like flash all the interior lights a few times as you drive along with all doors closed, the rear AC system will start blowing intermittently without switching it on, and now the lights (headlights and panel) will dim for a few seconds and then brighten again. It's intermittent but will do it the whole time you're driving. Interestingly, now the van won't start when you shut it off after it's warm. It will crank, and almost start, as if out of gas, but no go. At best it will catch, run rough for a few seconds (low RPM's), then die. Wait an hour, and it will start. I was thinking two different problems, but now I'm wondering...any ideas?
  • tkelly1740tkelly1740 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 99 also- a few ideas for you. A couple months ago mine was trying to start and barely running before dying much like you described and it was the fuel pump fuse # 5 in the engine compartment. Just a shot in the dark- but check that. As for the blinking lights, try taking off the plastic cover on the passenger side front pillar and examine the wires very closely- these cars are known for shorting right there because the wires rub- you should just need to cover with tape.
    Thanks for the tip, I have to find that fuse. The plot of my mystery thickens...

When I turn the key to the "On" position, prior to starting, I can sometimes hear the fuel pump hum for 2-3 seconds, building pressure, then shut off. When I hear this, the van starts every time. When I turn the key "On" and don't hear the pump - you guessed it - the engine cranks but won't fire.

Does this help anybody with a diagnosis? Thanks again.
  • ZUULUZUULU Member Posts: 2
    when I try to start my 2002 windstar all i get is a click click click click... noise and when i turn the key of and pull it out my front headlights flash on and off. stereo will not come on.... and it's hard to turn the key to the off position at times. happened 2 days ago as well but jumped it and started fine.. drove 300km home from parents with wife and kids and no problems at all.. next day tried to start and nothing but click click click click.... charged the battery..... and still click click click..... the only way i was able to stop the front headlights from flshing with key out and doors closed was to disconnect and reconect the battery......... does anyone know what i can look for to solve this issue.... my van is in a parking garage..... i'm going to try and tap the starter motor next.. however i do not know the location of the starter... need lots of help...... please reply
  • elgoyoelgoyo Member Posts: 2
    I am experiencing the exact same problem. At first I thought it might have been a relay. I replaced the relay but the problem still remains. Therefore I think it is the fuel pump.

Have you found a solution yet?
    No, sorry, I have not. I also replaced the relay after asking a couple of mechanics for advice. Immediately after replacing it, the van wouldn't start. I waited a bit, turned the key to "On", heard the fuel pump for a few seconds, and the van started. I have to believe that this is more common than just you and I, and somebody out there has to have the answer. I am a shadetree mechanic, but I don't think the intermittent problem is the pum itself.
  • van7188van7188 Member Posts: 8
    This problem is almost always a bad battery. It most likely has a bad cell or two since it seems to happen in the am.Have your battery tested free at your local auto parts store.
  • elgoyoelgoyo Member Posts: 2
    I just put a brand new battery in my van. The problem still exists.
    If your battery tests good then the next step I would take is to replace the ignition switch. When this part goes bad it can make your car do strange things. Its not an expensive part and it doesnt take a high skill level to replace. I would pick up a shop manual and replacement part from a local auto parts store. hope this helps..
  • fixeddailyfixeddaily Member Posts: 11
    Hello. I have a 2002 Windstar SEL. The power window switch doesn't work on the driver side. When you push the button and hold it down, you can hear a click after about a second. Does this sound like a switch problem or perhaps a problem with the motor itself? Also, the power door lock doesn't lock the driver door. Any ideas on how to fix these problems? Thanks.
  • tluvisontluvison Member Posts: 1
    I have a kit to hook-up lights for towing a U-Haul. Where can I find the wiring inside the vehicle to connect to? It didn't come with the towing package, but there should be wires somewhere in the back (in a panel, etc.), to connect to. Please advise.

Thanks - Tom
  • elbaxtodelbaxtod Member Posts: 1
    all of the front electrical items have quit working a/c blower radio power window contols turn signals and heaadlights but all rear light and a/c work
  • fordsuxfordsux Member Posts: 8
    Just recently i started having problems with my van. Bare with me i am a 25 yr old female and by far not even close to being a mechanic. However a friend told me about this site so ill give it a shot. First thing that started was the lights inside would not turn off when it would be parked and locked up. I have to occasionally unhook battery so it wont drain over night! called ford and they said they never heard of that happening! Then the other day i tried to lock door to go into store and when i pressed the lock button the lock would pop down and then right back up! Only happened 1 time thank god. But now my van will just die out of no where while driving down the road or at a red light. Had the fuel pump and filter changed. Still happening... Does anyone know what the heck it is!? I refuse to pay a mechanic 100 dollars an hr to fix a problem that i am hoping someone else had and found how to fix. Thanks to anyone still reading!
    or (Ford) Found on Road Dead!
  • captblycaptbly Member Posts: 2
    Have the Alternater looked at. Our van had done this, we thought at 1st it was the battery, had that replaced, then the car became worse, had Alternater replaced and it was cured. You called the company??? and they haven't heard of this. then who ever you talked to has his head in the ground. if you read this site you can see how many have problems and Ford ignores it. God knows they can't have a recall now.
    my van left me on the side of the road 12am with no head lights and no street lights. We were almost hit in the back by anouther car that couldn't see us because we had no lights. Ask them to Check the Alternater 1st before replaceing it.
    Good Luck
  • tkelly1740tkelly1740 Member Posts: 9
    check fuse # 16- I copied and pasted a repair that I already posted on here
    #89 of 129
    Headlights and Blower motor stay on when the car is off by tkelly1740
    Aug 09, 2008 (6:50 am)
    Save | Reply

I finally got this fixed. There is a technical service bulletin on this from Ford and here is the fix. Fuse # 16 is blown therefore the ignition off signal is not being sent to the front end module. Pin # 11 (Windstar wiring diagram) on wiring harness C-239 is shorted. The diagram will show you where the wire goes to a front harness on the fuse box from the back of the instrument cluster. I simply cut the wire at both ends and ran a new wire. I have a 1999 Windstar- hope this helps. I spent 2 weekends looking for this and finally figured it out- cost nothing to fix and only took about 30 minutes. It did take me about 3 hours to put the car back together though.
    THANK You for your help. This is information i can pass on to My dad that is able to fix the problem if he just knows what it is. I will have alternater checked first and check a few fuses.,. I cant bieleve how many people are having problems with their van! Ford should do something before someone burns that place/places down.
    i am having the same problem with my 98 windstar. I have no idea why, But recently my dome lights and all other interior lights stay on while the car if off and locked up. I have to unhook battery so it wont drain overnight! Some guy told me that alternator could be the broblem. However it has to be in the door latches. Maybe even the hatch. My door open lights wont go off now and its so frusterating. So Im going to start by replacing door latches 1 at a time. Only thing that seems to be the problem with the lights as one guy said. Something to do with it the door latch doesnt catch fully then the sensor doesnt sense it. ? im not a mechanic but sounds pretty legit to me. Good luck and please let me know if you figure n e thing out.
    wow! That must be why when i bought the van the seat wires were cut and you cant move it up or down. hmmm someone knew about this and still sold me a lemon! Im pisses!
    was just lookin thru archive and found this. im sure you had it fixed bt now but if not its a master cylinder leak that is shorting out your wire harness below.
    Well the interior light problem is very common. Your ford dealer lied. Imagine that!One of your door latches isn't working properly. On my 2000 windstar its the passanger sliding doors rear latch. you have to spray a lot of WD40 (or other penetrating spray lube) into each door (including the two hatch door locks, Left & Right sides and 2 latches on each sliding door) lock, then open and close each door just after its sprayed several times. After the sticking latch is loose and the lights go off you need to spray white lithium grease in to each latch to keep it lubed. But dont be fooled it will stick again! I have to redo mine every few months or so depending on weather exposure etc.
    thank you! I will do that... You sound like you figured it out and im very happy! Ford wanted 100 dollars an hr to figure out what it could be. Geez do they know this sire exsists and that we help each other stop investing into ford ;)
  • cardavcardav Member Posts: 3
    Just recently purchased used 2002 windstar SES. The rear speakers dont work on the radio or cd mode. The Ford entertainment system t.v. / VCR screen doesnt come on and no sound but the VCR plays the tape. Any idea's. Also the A/C really works good in front but not cold in rear. Fan blows good and heat works.
  • sieglindesieglinde Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Ford Windstar's passenger side wheel hit a curb and damaged the wheel bearing. I had the bearing replace. But now on occassion the amber ABS and red brake warning lights light up simultaneously on my instrument panel. They light randomly, but always simultaneously regardless of driving condition. This problem did NOT exist prior to replacing the wheel bearing.
    The brake fluid reservoir is full, and the brakes seem to operate just fine. I cleaned the electrical contacts on the brake fluid level sensor and pressure sensor. I even disconnected the negative battery cable for several minutes to clear the brake computer and that didn't resolve the issue either.
    I then removed the front passenger wheel. I inspected the large wheel bearing nut to ensure it was tight. I also inspected the ring to ensure it was free of damage and that it had all its teeth. Finally the sensor wire seemed in good condition.
    What could possibly cause this problem? Could I possibly have damaged the front passenger wheel sensor when I hit the curb? Any ideas??? Thanks.
  • oyokidude1oyokidude1 Member Posts: 20
    The problem with your car has nothing to do with hitting the curb. On these windstar's there was a problem with the ABS module. They were made defective. Over time they warp and become problematic. There is a whole website dedicated to this (www.fordwindstarrecall.info) Anyways when you buy the replacement part make sure its BRAND NEW not used otherwise it will continue to have problems. And make sure you buy the correct year because they vary. Good Luck
    The rough idle is do to the IAC valve it is dirty or not working properly. This website shows you have to clean it. http://leckemby.net/windstar/windstar02.html
    :cry: I can't figure out a mystery problem with my 2001 Windstar SEL. The car says the passenger door is ajar when it isn't i have played with the door ajar switch and determined it wasn't the cause. However when i yank on the wires (in insulated ribbed rubber type thing in between the door and dash). The car gets mixed signals (ajar not ajar). Also under 65 degrees the car will function normally. I am not sure if this has to do with the expansion and contraction of the wires. Any idea of how much it would cost to repair this gremlin electrical problem? I mean it has to do with like whether or not the door is open and the wires are stretched out. (THIS IS NOT THE SLIDING DOOR this is the passenger front door)

Thanks
  • allshortedoutallshortedout Member Posts: 1
    Electrical, electrical....ELECTRICAL! Shortly after buying this windstar the issues started.First it was the back windows sometimes not opening, or one would and the other not.Then they'd up and switch which one would or would not open.Then my front door locks quit working properly or not at all.And you can forget about the alarm system!What a joke! :cry: I replaced all the fuses finally last summer and that still didn't help.The dealership said they can look at it but it will be $75 p/hr with no garuantee on how long it would take just to locate the issue.Now my brakes are locking up and they squeal horribly.Yes, I've done to required maint and had them changed etc and gone back to dealer but they just changed the cylinders on the back wheels??After reading several other owner's with similar issues how can there not be a recall for electricl issues??Has anyone figured out what is goingon with this model?We even had to replace the transmission 1 year after we bought it.Hind sight definately makes this model smell :lemon: I may be a female but far from stupid so I won't be purchasing a Windstar again. :sick:
    Okay, i replaced the front door lock actuators on my windstar, that's why they wouldn't open. As far as the alarm do you mean keyless entry (replace the battery)? It could just be that it needs to be reprogrammed. Somehow mine came undone. Look online anyways. I think to reprogram it. You get in your car with the doors CLOSED (if not all the doors are closed it won't work). Anyways you turn the key to the off position and from there you rotate the key to the ON position (the engine is not started just to that notch before you start the car) anyways rotate doing that 8 times (ON - OFF) do not start the engine. After the eighth time your car doors should lock and unlock press the lock button on your keypad and it should be programmed. As for the back windows don't worry all windstars have that problem don't even bother having the motors changed (i have had 2 windstars) with the same problem.
  • wlee1wlee1 Member Posts: 2
    :lemon:
    Brought this damn thing new... a few years after I had it my passenger electric window quit working, drive side was ok...

Read a few articles as this problem grew...there's a wiring harness (wiring bundle) that was supported by some brackets. Apparently, where the wiring was resting, the bracket was sharp enough to cut through the insulation and shorted it couple of wires that powers the electric window.

Ford knew about it, technical bulletin was issued, but no recall. Can't seem to track this problem down.

Does anyone know, where the short or it's location of this problem?

If this post is similar to another post that I'd missed, please re-direct me...

thanks in advance...any help is appreicated
  • bubbatbkbubbatbk Member Posts: 1
    Brought this damn thing new... a few years after I had it my passenger electric window quit working, drive side was ok...

Read a few articles as this problem grew...there's a wiring harness (wiring bundle) that was supported by some brackets. Apparently, where the wiring was resting, the bracket was sharp enough to cut through the insulation and shorted it couple of wires that powers the electric window.

Ford knew about it, technical bulletin was issued, but no recall. Can't seem to track this problem down.

Does anyone know, where the short or it's location of this problem?

If this post is similar to another post that I'd missed, please re-direct me...
  • 800613800613 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2000 Windstar and recently the instrument panel goes "Hay-Wire" with all the needles of the speedometer/tachometer/fuel/temperature going wild pointing up/down... around back and front... I noticed this usually happens more frequently now after not using the van for a few days.I have yet to consult with Ford technicians but realized you guys might be able to help me with this problem. Has anyone experienced the same problem and do you have a CURE or solution??? Thank you :cry: :mad:
  • 800613800613 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 2000 Windstar... Did you get the problem fixed??? How??? Please let me know... Thanks :confuse: :cry:
  • a1mike1aa1mike1a Member Posts: 9
    After checking everything around the cruise control I gave up.
    My wife told me that the brake light on the dash stayed on, and sometimes the rear brake lights would not go off. I remembered reading in this forum about the brake pressure switch leaking and causing short circuits and sometimes fires. I removed the air filter hose and checked the pressure switch under the front of the master cylinder. Sure enough it was wet with brake fluid. A new switch from Ford cost about $14.00. (they have plenty of them)
    I disconnected the neg bat wire and cleaned off the wiring with a contact spray for electricals. The new switch screws right in without loosing any brake fluid.
    Now the cruise works and the brake lights function as they should.
  • bobsteerbobsteer Member Posts: 2
    Mine was doing the samething. I was told that behind the instrument panel there is a wire harness. Hit the dash above the cluster panel (may need to try different spots) and if you here the chime and the cluster works properly you probably need to clean the wire harness. All you have to do is take off the cluster panel and the harness is right behind it. Clean the contact points on the harness and that should solve the problem. I would suggest using something that has a grease based product in it (vasoline) to put on the conectors so they do not get corroded again. Hope this helps, I have seen numerous post about this with no clear cut answer, this has solved my problem.
  • jalredgejalredge Member Posts: 2
    I'm experiencing the same entertainment electrical system failure. I rely on being able to plug things in my car so its a pain.

I also master cylinder problems and fixed it at dealership.
    I also experinced probs with doors not closing/not latching.

Last summer my car door on the driverside passenger seat would not close at all, I heard a loud snap and though the kids broke something but, it was the wiring harness I had to drive to local Home Depot with my kids in the third row while the window was open. I closed it by using a tree limb cutter on it. But, now there is no more power door.

Latest issue is the lose of use of the entertainment area and front seat electrical outlets. I scheduled an appt to have it checked out for $99.

But now after reading all these problems, I'll wait to get another!

Thanks
    J. A., Maryland- owner 3 years, of a broke down expensive 2004 Ford Windstar
  • jalredgejalredge Member Posts: 2
    I'm experiencing the same entertainment electrical system failure. I rely on being able to plug things in my car so its a pain.

I also master cylinder problems and fixed it at dealership.
    I also experinced probs with doors not closing/not latching.

Last summer my car door on the driverside passenger seat would not close at all, I heard a loud snap and though the kids broke something but, it was the wiring harness I had to drive to local Home Depot with my kids in the third row while the window was open. I closed it by using a tree limb cutter on it. But, now there is no more power door.

Latest issue is the lose of use of the entertainment area and front seat electrical outlets. I scheduled an appt to have it checked out for $99.

Thanks
    J. A., Maryland- owner 3 years, of a broke down expensive 2004 Ford Windstar
  • cardavcardav Member Posts: 3
    let me know what they find. They told me i would need to send my tv out to new york to have it diagnosed. Our # 6 fuse is blowing on the fuse box every once and a while. We really like the van though. They stopped making it i think because they couldnt iron out the probs. I have always had good luck w/ Fords.