Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Windstar Warning Lights/Codes

dnspauldnspaul Member Posts: 3
edited July 2020 in Ford
My check engine light came on and it is the O2 sensors, which I have not replaced, but today my husband was driving it and he turned the corner and hit the gas real hard and now it won't go anywhere. When you put it in drive it don't act like it is even trying to go in. We weren't having any signs of transmission slipping or anything it just quit just like that. Some one please help this is my only vehicle and I have 3 young kids.

Comments

• cmonkjrcmonkjr Member Posts: 1
    I'm having an Airbag code 16 (perhaps it is 61???) on my 2003 Windstar LX. Perhaps coincidentally, this code started right after we ran the van through an automated carwash. Any ideas on what that code means? Thanks for any help...
  • stevem614stevem614 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all...

I have a 2000 Ford Windstar SE... A friend of mine replaced the rear brake shoes (drum brakes) for me while on vacation in Florida. After driving the vehicle for about 3 or 4 trips, the ABS light goes on and the ABS system is disabled. Other than some brake squealing which is what we tried to eliminate before, no other noises heard. Anyone have any idea why the ABS light would turn on after replacing pads/shoes?
  • mlpntrmlpntr Member Posts: 61
    It's a common thing and has to do with a ground wire. Ford offers a fix kit for $10.
    The squeal you heard is because the back brakes need to be adjusted. You can do this easily and keep them in line by using the emergency brake every time you park.
  • jimlabjimlab Member Posts: 5
    Can you elaborate on this abs ground issue? I have a 2000 Windstar where sometimes the ABS light goes on, and other times it does not. I searched and could find nothing about this ground issue or the kit you mentioned. Any idea of where it is installed? Thanks.
  • genstymgenstym Member Posts: 1
    Reading all these messages its disturbing to see that Ford vans from late 90's up to mine - 2003 are STILL having problems with the ABS light coming on. What is wrong with Ford not fixing this problem?

My light has been coming on now for about 6 months with the red brake light on, nothing else. Nothing seems to be wrong with my braking, thankfully. I take my car to Firestone, been going there 8+ years and trust my mechanic and they run a diagnostic test on it, dont charge me the $75.00 every time and they clear all the codes from the module assembly and they tell me the same thing that it shouldn't interfere with my braking system and that it should be covered under my warranty with Ford. Of course when I took it to my local dealer they put it under the diagnostic test, charged me $100.00 and within 20 minutes told me I needed a new ABS electronic system and it would be around $1800.00, not including labor.

We are fortunate, this is the only major problem I have had with my van at 50,000 and I have been very happy with the Windstar. It just worries me that this has been going on for years and is still not fixed with newer models. I still don't like the idea that I'm driving around with this light on wondering everytime will my brakes work or not. I'm going to pursue the warranty issue with Ford and will post an update if I learn any new information to share with everyone.

Genstym
    On our van, the only light that comes on is the ABS light, no brake light. It also does not come on right away, if at all.

From what I have read, the ABS module does a static test when the ignition is first turned on. It checks the resistances to the various sensors and if everything is within spec, it turns the ABS light off. After the vehicle reaches a certain speed, 10 mph rings a bell, it then checks the system dynamically looking for proper voltages from the wheel sensors. It also performs some type of a test on the actual abs pump and actuators. If this passes, the light remains off, otherwise it turns on.

My ABS light seems to come on after the dynamic test. I get a code of c1185 which points to either a wiring issue or controller failure. The funny things is that it does not come on all the time.

I hate to replace the module if it is just a simple wiring issue. I heard mention of the ground issue/kit and just wanted to get more details.
  • mlpntrmlpntr Member Posts: 61
    I haven't fixed mine yet. After $1000's spent keeping it running a light never seemed like a big issue when it gave no codes and the brakes worked fine. My information is from my uncle who worked for Ford and has helped me out when I get stuck on a problem with mine.
    He said that the problem is with an extra ground wire that just needs to be removed. I think the fix kit includes a wire cap. I will give him him a call and see if he can fill me in a little more on it.

Melissa
    That would be great if you could get some more details- Perhaps you could ask him if Ford has a TSB for this issue.

Jim
  • arnalaarnala Member Posts: 7
    Hello Jim
    I have the same vehicle same year. I could see a comment refiring this ground conection and a "kit" refeired for that. If you know how is that kit, please let me know. I try to fix this problem too.
    Thanks
    Arnaldo M
    Hello Steve
    Could you explain me what kind of kit it is?
    What I need to do?
    Thanks
    Arnaldo M
    Hi Melissa,
    Please let me know if you have news about it.

Thanks
    Arnaldo M
  • urq11urq11 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 1996 Windstar that the engine light recently came on for which seems to be running perfect. It has about 132k miles on it and my wife recalls that this also happened with about with 60k miles on it. However, we cannot recall if the light just went out automatically with the previous event or if we had to have someone turn it off, as there was no problem at that time with event at about 60K miles.

My question is if anyone knows if there are cycles in mileage where the engine light may automatically go on (such as current approx. 130k) even with not problem. I hate to try to pay to chase this down if there is nothing wrong or light can be easily turned off if no actual engine problem. As it also turns out we are buying a new vehicle and cannot sell/smog the 1996 Windstar in CA with the engine light on.
  • aceladyacelady Member Posts: 10
    If you don't want to pay to have the codes read, take it to your nearest AUTOZONE. They will hook it up and read the codes for you.

If it is anything serious, they will let you know and you can take care of it then.

Good luck to you.
  • zappfamzappfam Member Posts: 1
    has any one ever had the problem with obd2 codes 171 and 174 only showing up in the cold weather? my 1999 windstar shows no codes all summer and as soon as the temps drop below 50 the codes start coming up every few days. i turn of the check engine light with my code reader and the car runs fine with the light on or off. i have had the 02 sensors replaced and have tried dry gas thinking there might be condensation in the gas tank. any constructive suggestions are much appreciated. amy, zappfam@aol.com
  • dlarkinsdlarkins Member Posts: 2
    Mine is in the shop now. Mechanic believes it is the upper intake manifold gasket. The lower was replaced by ford twice before my extended warranty ran out. Apparently there is a bullentin out on this very problem. As soon as I know more, I will post.
  • komocazie74komocazie74 Member Posts: 1
    we have a 98 ford windstar with the P0302 code it is a cylinder #2 misfire after looking here and another forum im convinced its the computer. what exactly is the computer? is it the Powertrain Control Module? if it is the PCM about how much does this cost. if it isnt the PCM what exactly is the computer called? this van has alot of issues like the water pump needs replaced(thats going to be a pain), the rack and pinion needs replaced(another nasty job), sway bar needs replaced, ABS lights on(probably sensors), rotors are warped- i could go on but i dont want to bore anyone to death, i could write a page of repairs ive done myself- but again with the boring thing. well if it is the PCM is there anyway to test it or do you just replace it? thanks for any info your willing to share.
  • reggiechereggieche Member Posts: 4
    Well, the 171 and 174 codes in OBD2 means your engine runs lean (more air). I thess there are two possible problems. One is the intake gasket or vacuum hoses leaks. The other is that the MAF sensor is bad. Replacing the O2 sensor is not a good option. Here is my recommendations:

Keep checking your gas mileage. If the mileage runs good, ignore this code - it means nothing, and it will not hurt your engine.

If the gas mileage is bad (less than 20 on highway), check possible intake leak.

If the gas mileage is bad, and you have a rough idle at warm engine (stop at red light, or restart at warm), consider to replace idle air intale valve.

If you don't have the above symtom, EGR valve or controller is to blame. It's your option to replace it or not. This repair only helps to clear the code. If you don't care about $100, replace it. Otherwise, keep going and you should be fine with the OBD "Check Engine" light on.

Hope this helps.
  • reggiechereggieche Member Posts: 4
    Sorry - I posted a message about Code 171 and 174 follwing message #18.

Check it and it should help.
  • newtechnewtech Member Posts: 4
    I have Ford Windstar 96 , 3.8L engine.
    My Parking Light stays ON. I have checked fluid and wires too. Any expert advice on this issue or the only option is to take it to a technician.
    Does it make any problem if it stays ON as I don't feel any problem in braking or somewhere else. :blush:
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    Parking lights or Brake lights?
  • newtechnewtech Member Posts: 4
    Sorry for confusion. I mean to say Red parking light on the Dashboard which comes ON when we PULL handbrake .
  • mel007mel007 Member Posts: 1
    Codes P1537 & P1538 came up on my 1998 3.8 Windstar. Advance told me the codes mean that one or both of the Input Manifold Runner Controls might be stuck. Sure enough, one was bad. I replaced both and verified that they both work. But the P1537/P1538 codes have popped up again. Also, the engine idles rough after having run hard for a while.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • yqgyqg Member Posts: 1
    The warning light that indicates that an exterior bulb has burned out is on but all the lights appear to be working fine.

Anyone any ideas on what else we could check? :confuse:

Thanks.
  • fausto_gfausto_g Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 windstar LX. I have been having problems with my (HAND BRAKE) and (ABS) lights coming on in my dash at the same time always. These warning lights come just 15 or so seconds after I start it up and sometimes more than that (5 minutes) . The hand brake works fine actually when those two lights are off yet and I use the manual brake "HAND BRAKE" light comes on; and the brake work fine too, What could be the issue?
  • henneke05henneke05 Member Posts: 1
    if anyone has the ohms value for the egr pressure sensor please let me know asap its a 02 windstar :mad:
  • jtalley337jtalley337 Member Posts: 2
    I had a similar situation and it was corrected by adding brake fluid.
    You may be leaking brake fluid from the master cylinder. This is a common problem, it will also affect your speed control and other systems. Check the sensor on the bottom of your master cylinder. If it is wet, you have found your first problem. If not, you may have a bad ABS ($1K plus to replace).

Good Luck
  • fausto_gfausto_g Member Posts: 2
    Yesterday I check brake fluid level and it is ok (this is one of the root causes according several comments.....) and today in the morning I drove to my job (around 12 miles) and both lights never came on , this has never happened lights ussually come on after 1.5 miles aprox, is there some connector at the brake fluid tank that I could have touch and it was missconnected before?

Before today I thought this issue may has to do with some part of brakes getting hot, these warning lights come on just 15 seconds or so after I start it up -- if the car was used recently -- ; or after 7 or 8 minutes after I start it up by first time in the morning when car is completely cold.
  • tauroreytaurorey Member Posts: 1
    The engine oil on my Windstar 2000 is changed but the warning light remains on. How can I reset that warning?
    You must reset this using the computer on the dash. The details are covered in your owner's manual.

It is not difficult.
  • mrb43mrb43 Member Posts: 2
    Ford Windstar, 1996: I pulled the code with my OBD II code reader and it says that camshaft sensor "A" in "Bank 1" is malfunctioning. I take it that there are more than one sensor since my OBD II manual lists another code number that refers to sensor "B" in "Bank 1 or 2", I can't remember exactly. Anyway, what has to be replaced and what do I ask for at the parts house?
  • mrb43mrb43 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1996 Windstar and I also purchased a code book that is really informitive! It is my understanding that there is no cycle for the check engine light. I also bought a Chiltons auto manual for that year and model. That also was very good. I had a problem with my camshaft sensor. I followed the tech information and the light went out. If you go to an Auto Zone or some other auto supply that will pull the codes for free, it will be in the manual of codes and then you go to the repair manual and you should be home free. Lots of luck.
    Mrb43
  • roydowningroydowning Member Posts: 2
  • roydowningroydowning Member Posts: 2
    My engine light is on but everything seems to be ok.
    My tire light is on, does that mean that I have a low tire. I pressed the tire reset button but it stays on.
    The light is on that looks like the emblem at the left side of my headlight switch. What is it?
  • mjchealmjcheal Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Windstar and am getting these lights on very often. I took it into my local ford dealer where they ran the diagnostic and he told me there was a wrong code entered. So they disabled the code but these lights are even more annoying that before. It doesn't happen every day and it doesn't even depend on the mileage,
    Has anyone got any ideas ?? :confuse:
  • daneleedanelee Member Posts: 1
    My check engine light is still on. Have replaced all 4 O2 sensors and intake manifold gaskets. Engine runs fine, good gas mileage. Does replacing the MAF, IAT sensors and possibly the fuel pressure regulator solve these problems? Vehicle has 123,000 miles. dane alley
  • bbernackibbernacki Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 windstar and it is idling rough but runs fine. The emmission warning light has now come on. What are the possible causes for this problem?
    Any help would be grateful
  • buccaneer_dbuccaneer_d Member Posts: 1
    A warning light has come on on my dash board. It looks like a water pump and is located over the temp gauge. Does that mean my water pump is going bad or is it not the pump at all? Please help!
  • kjl01kjl01 Member Posts: 1
    We have a Windstar that has numerous error codes on it. We don't know what they all are but we do know that we have lights on all over the dash. The check engine light, the ABS light, the brake light emergency brake light. We were told by the dealer that there was 18 error codes. Of course they wouldn't tell us what they were unless we paid them. We also drive down the road and the inside lights blink. Also, the engine idle bucks and pulsates and lights dim in and out. Hopefully we can get rid of this van soon. Sooooo many problems and horrible gas mileage, 13 to 1 4 at best.
  • senobarrsenobarr Member Posts: 1
    1999 Ford Windstar SE, 3.8l engine. I know there had been some discussion on here about this same thing, but i am wondering if these codes might be inter related. codes are P0171 (too lean bank 1) P0174 (too lean bank 2) P0301 ( miss fire cylinder #1) and P0304 (miss fire #4). I have changed the coil pack, plugs and wires and the miss fire problem still exists for the miss fire (i have been told that si the problem and fix). I have been told the too lean problem is due to the O2 Sensors. there is 101277 miles on the engine. Now, the engine idles rough, and with overdrive on and cruising at 70 MPH on the highway and 2100 RPMs, the engine shakes real bad. When i turn the OD off, the RPMs go up to about 3000 RPM, and the engine smooths out. When i pull the spark plug on #1, it is dirty and wet with oil. Now for the question, do i need to try to change the coil pack pulgs wires, and O2 sensors, ro do i need to just take it in for a tune up and have the timing checked?
  • don777don777 Member Posts: 2
    99 Windstar SE, 3.8, 88,000 miles. Trans rebuilt at 39,000. I've read so many blogs about this van today that I see I'm not alone with my experience. Like so many others, I too was swayed by the 5-star crash rating at the time. I think it should be 5 stars for electrical and mechanical crashes. Current issue: Has been to the dealer three times for "Check Engine Light" issues - no surprise, always something different and I have to pay big $$$. Latest issue: "CEL" came on, van was running rough. Before I could get it in to the dealer, the "OD" light started flashing intermittently. When diagnostics was done, they said it was a "IMRC" clip that had to be replaced (reason given for "CEL"), and the tranny had to be overhauled because the "OD" light issue was internal ($1600.00 labor, plus parts). I declined the tranny work - repair exceeds car's value. When I got home from the dealer, the "CEL" was on again and it was still running rough. Dealer claims this is due to trans problem. Is this correct? I thought the "CEL" dealt with emissions issues. Any enlightenment appreciated.
  • elizabethkr1elizabethkr1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 windstar and when i am driving down the road the OD light will start blinking and I have no idea what the problem is. If you know what the problem is please let me know. :sick:
  • ducman1ducman1 Member Posts: 1
    check all your bulbs make syre they are the correct type
  • mhorn1mhorn1 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2000 Ford Windstar and my ABS light popped on it goes on then disappears i had taken it to a shop they came up with3 codes but 2 are the same is it worth me getting this van fixxed i have put work into it and its been treating me right we are suppose to drive to florida next year in it. What should i do?? :confuse: :)
    This van has 112,300miles
  • old89lscold89lsc Member Posts: 7
    What error codes did you get?
    Your wet spark plug tells the whole story. When a spark plug is covered with oil, that is not the spark plug's or ignition system's fault, it is the result of excessive engine wear (valves or rings). I have come across the same problem in older vehicles. There is something called a spark plug non-fouler, which screws into the spark plug hole in the engine block and then holds the spark plug. Make sure to get a long one that will completely hold your (new) spark plug. This should return your engine back to decent operation. You should be able to pick one up at any auto parts store.
  • mhorn1mhorn1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    codes are c1155 lf speed sensor input ckt failure
    c1233 wheel speed lf input signal missing
    B2477 module configuration failure

not sure what any of it means need to take to mechanic :( :confuse:
  • beerzbeerz Member Posts: 1
    Our 1999 windstar is in have front end work done. there is a warning code 1518. Does anyone know what it is for?????
    Looking on the internet, it appears that your left front wheel speed sensor has gone bad:

C1155 Wheel Speed Sensor LF Input Circuit Failure ABS
    C1233 Wheel Speed LF Input Signal Missing ABS

The B2477 error looks like it could be related to the ABS system, and replacing the supposedly defective left front wheel speed sensor should fix all three errors. If you are afraid of doing the job yourself, call a couple of different shops and ask them for a quote for replacing the left front wheel speed sensor. They won't want to at first, but if you insist they should be able to give you a quote for parts/labor for the job.

Good luck.
  • don777don777 Member Posts: 2
    My 99 Windstar has OBDII code P0720 "Output Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction". Other forums state that this is also called a "Turbine Speed Sensor" or "Output Shaft Sensor", but I am confused as to the location and proper name. One forum stated that on the Windstar it's called a TSS, but another suggested that there are both an OSS and a TSS on the tranny. The challenge here is ordering the right sensor. One online Ford Store lists an "Output Shaft Sensor" for this vehicle, but no "Output Speed Sensor" or "Turbine Speed Sensor". Can someone help clarify things for me?