Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta Audio/Entertainment Questions

124»

Comments

• wfmetalicawfmetalica Member Posts: 5
    Please forgive me if I sound uneducated on this matter. I am a new VW owner, as of one week ago, and I would like to upgrade the sound system. I have the standard 1 CD sound system now. I would like to install the sound system with satellite radio. I don't know the part number for eaither of these (and I have searched for a few days now), or if they would be compatible. In addition, do I need any added equipment besides the deck itself, such as an antenna? I already have an XM subscription so would this work okay to transfer it to this unit (I know it is stated as sirius in the manual, but since they merged I was wondering if anyone had any insight).

Thanks in advance for any help, I am really green in this area.
  • belaircarguybelaircarguy Member Posts: 107
    You can find VW satellite radios on ebay. They are the original and would fit into the exact spot on your dash. I believe the VW satellite radio is self contained (no extra satellite box), except that satellite does require a special antenna. I have a 2007 Jetta with a radio like yours, and also a 2009 Jetta with Satellite. The Satellite is Sirius only. If you have XM, you probably need to speak with XM - Sirius to see if they would provide you a credit. Normally, if you cancel a subscription, you would get a credit back for any unused months of service. Then you just need to start over with Sirius.

Check with the VW dealer about antennas and if they would install the radio for you. You can also check with Best Buy as they have radio installation service.

Good Luck.

Bel Air Car Guy
    Well I have found out. Little more about this. The sat radio is not self contained, apparently the receiver can be found either in the trunk or under the passenger seat. So now I don't know what receiver goes with the premium 7 if I want to go that route.
    So I guess my new question is this: is the 8E0-035-593-A xm receiver compatible with the prem 7 upgrade to my standard 7?
  • chuck10553chuck10553 Member Posts: 9
    So i got my 2010 Jetta SE about 5 months ago now and my free satellite subscription is running out and im thinking about switching to xm because I want a portable radio and sirius does not make a decent portable radio (ive heard many complaints about the stiletto 2 reception). So my question is does xm work on my radio or is there a way to switch from sirius to xm without totally changing out my entire radio and pay a lot for it???? any help would be greatly appreciated.
    VW has their satellite radios equipped for Sirius. Even though Sirius purchased XM as couple of years ago, these two work on completely different formats. Your Sirius radio will not work to pick up XM. You would need a new radio.

Bel Air Car Guy
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    I have a 2009 Jetta TDI with the standard radio (not GPS). Does anyone know if there is a way to have the display light stay on whenever the radio is turned on? During the day the display is hard to see but if I turn on my headlights the radios display light makes a big difference. It looks like it would be a simple wiring job as the light goes off when I turn off the radio even though the buttons remain lit when the headlights are on.
  • wallach1wallach1 Member Posts: 1
    I just ordered a mini to micro usb adapter and it did not work for my MDI interface. Apparently this expensive system only works for Ipods and old fashioned mini USB's. This after an agonizing 6 weeks where my Android phone didn't work with the Bluetooth. So now I am back to Blackberry but still no adaptability to the micro USB. Anybody have success with this?
  • 64bugnme64bugnme Member Posts: 1
    HI THERE, YOU'RE RIGHT ABOUT 2 THINGS. THE PEOPLE AT SIRIUS SUCK AND MY 2009 JETTA RADIO WILL NOT DISPLAY THE SIRIUS ID. HAVE YOU BEEN ABLE TO FIND HELP WITH THIS? THE IDIOTS AT SIRIUS CANNOT EVEN FIND MY RADIO MODEL. AREN'T THEY IN THE SOUND SYSTEM SET UP BUSINESS? THEY ACT LIKE MY MODEL/DESIGN IS THE ONLY ONE ON THE PALNET. SHAZAM!!! AMAZING!!! IN ANY EVENT, DID YOU FIND HELP? IF SO, I COULD DEFINITELY USE IT. THANKS SO MUCH!!!
  • minifrance23minifrance23 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Jetta 2.5 and i can't figure out how to play my iPod from plugging it into the multimedia jack in the glovebox using an auxiliary cord. I plug it in, but i don't know how to have the system read it. I only have FM, AM, CD, and SAT button options.
    There were a couple of radios in 2007. One had the Satellite radio (which you would have to subscribe to Sirius) and the other did not, and just had an "AUX" button, instead of "SAT" button.

When your IPod is plugged in and turned on, try pressing the "SAT" button once or perhaps twice. It should be able to read your IPod. These are somewhat confusing, as when you push the "SAT" button once, it looks for the satellite radio, and pushing again, it should look for your IPod.

Good Luck.

Bel Air Car Guy
  • michlmiramichlmira Member Posts: 1
    Did you have any luck with hooking up your iPod? My sister sold me her 2008 Jetta SE (no AUX button, we used to just push CD twice to get to the iPod once plugged in with an AUX cord) and the media jack used to work with iPod but after she disconnected the battery it will no longer read it. I called VW and they want $150 just to look at it, never mind to fix it. It seems simple, but I cant seem to figure it out.
  • discotech08discotech08 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    Okay... iPod does play MP3 files... when you upload the files onto the program used to decode for playback on the iPod, you can just drag and drop your MP3 files.... I have done this many of times when repairing and unlocking iPod devices. This is comming from a Information Systems Security Professional and small business owner... And to make ANY stereo play MP3 files, all you have to do is plug your TRS connector into the headphone jack of your iPod and the other end into the AUX on your car stereo (if your AUX is a recieving jack), I have done this on every car stereo I have ever owned, my surround sound, car stereos, computers, televisions and custom built PS3s and XBox 360s. ;) I have gone as far as modifying my stereo wiring a cut TRS connector to the box and pluged the other end in my headphone jack on my iPod, Zune, Cellphone, Computer and much more.

-from
    Disco Technologies "where all of your problems are solved"