Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta Audio/Entertainment Questions

lancasterpalancasterpa Member Posts: 1
This car is my second VW. VW's are known for their radios. This Jetta 2.5 has by far the worst FM reception of any car I have ever experienced. I have contacted VW, and the dealer has looked at it twice and tells me it is functioning fine. I am extremely disappointed with VW's response thus far, as they don't seem to have a solution for me. I am told it is not possible to put an external antenna on the car, and according to the dealer they can't or won't put a different radio in unless it was ordered from the factory. I feel that the Radio and/or the window antenna are poorly designed. I feel VW who markets the car as having an outstanding stereo should be more responsive to this problem. Are others having problems with their radios?

Comments

• mark1967mark1967 Member Posts: 4
    I agree with the poor radio. AM stations (talk radio) is great but FM stations are terrible at the least.
  • bcnyabcnya Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005.5 TDI that had the same problem, took me a while to figure it out. The FM reception would always suck in the morning but would be OK any other time. Turns out that the window antenna was conflicting with the rear window defroster (that I would use only in the morning). My VW dealer replaced the rear window and the issue was resolved. Good luck hope this helps.
  • tuffy2tuffy2 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2000 & 2002 Jettas. I would like to add an AUX jack so can plug my MP3 player directly into the stereo. Is there an Aux input in the back of these units (2002 is a Monsoon; 2000 is stock w/o CD)? The 2000 was set up to have a CD changer in the trunk - but I think wiring was removed by dealer when I negotiated without it. Any tricks to removing the stereo on either car?? Thanks for any advice!!
  • tdidrvrtdidrvr Member Posts: 1
    I just bought one of those cassette tape insert units for less than $10 and get great play from both of my cars. I was looking for an Aux jack too, but this is much simpler.
  • jiclarkjiclark Member Posts: 4
    I'm desperately looking for a relatively cheap line-in connection for my iPod in my '05 Jetta TDI wagon with the Monsoon sound system. I have a tape adapter currently, and it's surprisingly good, but it just makes me drool for line-in, knowing how much *better* it could sound!

I've done a bunch of research, and definitely found that there are probably several options that would hook into the place in the back of my wagon that is reserved for a CD changer. The problems I see are that I'd either have to leave the iPod in the little compartment back there, or have a long cable somehow snaked up to the front of the car.

Has anyone here found a solution they could recommend, hopefully including a website link or something? I would very much appreciate it!!

Thanks,
    John
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    Have you considerd one of those FM modulators that plug into your iPod? Then, you just tune in your monsoon to the frequency and enjoy.
  • mariarkomariarko Member Posts: 1
    want to know if anyone else is having problems with the radio volumn randomly fluctuating. just bought my jetta and noticed problem. after taking it in to the dealer, they told me that they knew about this problem with the jettas and that vw was in the process of dealing with panasonic. panasonic is the one that supplies the radios on most jettas. don't know if on any other vw's. until the issue is resolved between vw and panasonic i have to wait. they won't put another radio in as it is a software problem and in the meantime i have to live with it. please pass the word on. this is very deceptive on vw's and dealers part.
  • kuenskuens Member Posts: 2
    I have purchased one of those FM Transmitter from ebay. It works very good. Here is where I bought the item.
    http://stores.ebay.com/Risefull-Direct
  • silversbulletsilversbullet Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 jetta tdi package 2 with nav radio. dealer put new radio in after 2000 miles radio reset and keeps scanning the xm station. I was told software will be done in november. radio also losses presets.
  • wrightflyerwrightflyer Member Posts: 9
    Can anyone solved my XM radio problem? XM is playing and I turn off motor and leave car. On return when I start car the radio display says "NO SAT RADIO". After several minutes I can get the XM to work. Dealer has swaped out the XM modul in trunk. Any thoughts? :) AM VERY HAPPY WITH THE CAR!!!
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Is this when you park at home…or office parking underground?

My XM would always go “out” when I passed into my garage…only when I passed the metal frame for the garage door…then it would reconnect once in the garage.
  • wrightflyerwrightflyer Member Posts: 9
    This happens when I am parked outdoors: no trees, buildings, etc. I switch the car off and when I get back in I get "no sat radio". In addition sometimes the preset default to chanel 1.
  • tafkamtafkam Member Posts: 3
    I got the same "no sat radio" message yesterday in my two week old Jetta with Sirius radio. I was at the post office, had the car off, put a package in the trunk and when I restarted the car and turned on the radio this message came up. Reception was not blocked, should have been picking up a signal, and to make matters even stranger, according to the manual this message applies to XM radio not Sirius.

Not much info on the web; the only thing I can think of in my case is when I put the package in the trunk and slamed the trunk shut maybe the wiring to the tuner came loose?

Does anyone know where the tuner is in the trunk? I have not explored yet, and also have not tried the radio yet after the car has been off all nite, will find out shortly.

I think you get a different message if the radio is not picking up the sat, but maybe I am wrong this is brand new to me......anyone have any ideas? Going to call the dealer today and see what they have to say about it.

Mike in TX
    When I started the car this morning the same error happened "no sat radio" even though I turned the radio on on the highway where there were no obstructions to the sats. I kept turning it on and off but same issue. Finally I put a cd in and played the first song and then pressed the sat button again, and then the sat radio worked again. Worked fine all day after that.

Strange. I found the tuner in the trunk and no wires seemed to be loose or anything. I need to call my salesperson anyway so I will see if the dealership knows anything about this issue. Anyone else with the "no sat radio" message? Please post and let me know......
  • mitchcmitchc Member Posts: 39
    I've had my Jetta with Sirius since October 2005 and periodically get "No SAT available" at random times for no apparent reason. It usually works a couple of minutes later. I strongly doubt this is a mechanical or electrical issue. It is likely related to intermittent problems with the satellite signal. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I would say this problem crops up anywhere from 0 to 5 or more times a week.

People have similar problems with other satellite based systems such as GPS - although GPS has become much more reliable over the years due to improvements in the satellite coverage.

It may also have something to do with location as I live in Texas. Perhaps Sirius coverage is better on the east and west coasts?

It would be unrealistic to assume Sirius or XM has "perfect signal coverage" and immediately blame the car.

Hope that helps!
    Thanks for the reply. I also live in Texas (on the border near Shreveport) and was using a plug and play unit that showed signal strength in my other car, and the locations where I got the "no sat radio" message I know to be areas with a good signal.

At any rate, do you know if this message means there is no or weak signal or does it mean there is a problem with the connection from the tuner in the trunk up to the radio?

I was thinking that if the radio was not getting a signal it would say something like "no signal" rather than the one I am getting?

Like you say, if it is just sporatic I can live with it but I want to make sure there is no issue with the hardware.....

Thanks again
    Mike
  • tko1965tko1965 Member Posts: 4
    I live in a major eastern metropolitan area (Philadelphia) and continuously have signal problems with my Sirius radio which came with my 06 Jetta. My previous car had XM built in and I rarely had dropped or lost connections. I'm not sure if it is Sirius or VW using a cheap receiver.
  • buckwild521buckwild521 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone, I have been looking around the site and reading some info on other Jetta's. I am planning on taking out the TAPE player that is in my jetta(2000) now and puting in my own CD player. Now I have heard there is some problems we doing this. Any tips?? Thanks for your help!
  • cherritocherrito Member Posts: 1
    I bought a Jetta A5 on February and it did not come with the satellite radio option. In the specs, it says that should be compatible with the satellite radio feature. I know that the factory cars have a modulator or receiver in the trunk + the stubby antenna on the roof + the SAT button on the radio (mine has a MIX button instead of).

My question is: can I get a satellite radio for my car (the same or similar to the factory one)? I do not want to buy another receiver to plug into my CD dash, I want to keep my car as original as possible.

Also, how difficult is to install the ipod adapter? I can get one but they want to charge me up to 100 usd for the installation.

Thanks. :cry:
  • music287music287 Member Posts: 116
    My '06 Jetta TDI came with a Sirius satellite radio. Even though it came with three months of complimentary service I cancelled it. The sound is low-fidelity i.e. mp3 quality. Listening to the classical station was unbearable. OTOH, if you really need nationwide coverage of nfl and nba games its the way to go. Caveat emptor: the sound of satellite radio is awful!

Jay
  • ben911ben911 Member Posts: 12
    I agree. I have XM, and really only listen to the Comedy Channels, and the 80's station.

Probably cancel mine soon as well.

Ben
  • kiyahfltkiyahflt Member Posts: 2
    I have a problem with my sound system in my o6 Jetta. While im driving the sound goes up and down with my speed. Now im the type of person who likes my music loud, so I dont want it turning down on me while im driving or anytime rather.

Although I know that its a feature in the car but I want to know if there is a way to turn it off. I called the dealer to see if he could tell me but he really wasnt that much help. So if there is someone who knows some kind of way to turn it off or control it please let me know.

Thanks,
    Kiyah
    The radio in my 2003 Jetta has a "feature" that changes the volume with roadspeed. The intent of this feature is to overcome the noise of the tires and wind as you go faster. There are several "adjustments" for this feature. It can even be turned off if you dislike it.

As for most of the "complaints" in these forums... the answer is READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL FROM COVER TO COVER. I am certain you will learn a lot about your new car that you did not even know existed.
  • gurtlergurtler Member Posts: 1
    Any help please ? My friend has a 97 Jetta and went to start her car after it being turned off for about 20 mins..her radio is stuck in safe mode (which she knows how to take care of) but her car is completely dead/no lights/no nothing...any suggestions ? Has anyone else experienced this ?
    Thank you !
  • zmillzmill Member Posts: 3
    sorry i cant help you with your problem but recently after i replaced my ecu my radio got stuck in safe mode how do you reset that?
    Like most of the questions asked here.... the answer is "Read your owners manual"

The details on how to unlock the radio from "safe mode" are spelled out in the owners manual.

There is a unique "code" for your vehicle that has to be entered.... lets hope you have not lost your radio code.
  • zmillzmill Member Posts: 3
    there spelled out ay well i cant read them o ya thats write i just bought the car and i dont have an owners manual . but thanks for the help anyway.
    Most people INSIST that a car comes with Spare keys, owners manual and the radio-code before they get their checkbook out. (or take about $500 off the price so you have the $$ to pay for them yourself)

Your only recourse may be to take it to dealership to have radio unlocked. Dont forget to INSIST that they give you the radio code when they are done.

======SAFE MODE INSTRUCTIONS============================

* Turn on radio -- the word "SAFE" will be displayed.

* First press the MODE button and then press the SCAN button and hold them down simultaneously until "1000" appears in the frequency display. Release the buttons. Do not, under any circumstance, continue holding the buttons down or press them once again. This would cause the radio to take the number "1000" as the code number.

* Using the first four radio station buttons, enter the code number found on your Radio Card. Use button 1 to set the first digit of the four digit code, button 2 to set the second digit, etc. The first digit of a four digit code must be "1". If your code number has three digits, the first digit on display must be set blank.

* Once the code is shown on the display, press and hold the MODE button and SCAN button simultaneously until the word "SAFE" appears in the frequency display. Release the buttons. A radio station frequency will automatically be displayed. The radio will now play once again.

If, when cancelling the electronic lock-up, a wrong code number is entered by mistake, the word "SAFE" will appear in the frequency display first blinking, and then continuous.

You can now repeat the entire cancelling procedure but only once. The number of attempts will be shown in display.

If the wrong code number should be entered again, your radio will be locked up for approximately one hour. The radio will not play. Leave the radio switched on. After an hour, you can cancel the electronic lock-up as previously described.

This cycle, two attemps - one hour lock-up continues again.
  • thomssenthomssen Member Posts: 2
    I just leased a 2007 VW Jetta 2.5 that is equipped with an MP3 player, or at least I thought it was an MP3 player. It may just be MP3 readable CD player. The salesperson pointed to a spot in the glove compartment and said that is where I'd hook up the MP3 player, but she really didn't know much more than that. Can anyone help? I have an iPod that I'd love to be able to connect through this device, I am really just clueless on how to use any part of this MP3.
    I find it interesting that some people think an "ipod" can play "mp3" files.

Too bad an "ipod" does not really play "mp3" files... an "ipod" only plays only the special propriatory files which Apple has licence for. (quicktime files)
  • thomssenthomssen Member Posts: 2
    I appreciate your reply, but I'm really looking for helpful comments here, not condescending ones. According to the experts at Apple, "The iPod is an MP3 player and so is your stereo. If you want to connect the iPod to the stereo, you need a USB port or a 3.5MM aux jack on the stereo." Therefore, if anyone has any more information on how to do this, I would appreciate it.
    Your contention that there are "experts" at Apple is itself questionable. As you have learned - the SALES people will say almost anything to get you to spend your money. Beleive me, an iPod DOES NOT store nor play MP3 files. (no matter what they say) And your stereo dosent giva a crap what the "source" of the music is. So a stereo is NEVER a 'player' of MP3 files.

Now on to your original question:

If the owners manual for your car audio system does not mention the ability to play/control a music device, then it most likely does not have that ability built-into it.

If your current car radio does NOT have this built-into it... There are several "options" for folks that wish to listen to the music from their iPods on a VW.

In order of cost; (also better fidelity as you move up)
    1) FM transmitter.
    2) Basic "cut in" to the antenna wire.
    3) Possible conneciton (replacement) to the trunk-mounted CD player/music-stroage device.

The #3 above has the ability to CONTROL an iPod which can be hidden away in the glovebox. You would have access to the playists and some other features of the iPod right from the radio controls. (The radio "thinks" it is controling a trunk-mounted CD player)

Here is how I would approach it.
    1) Go back to that salesman and insist that they show you how to use the "bill of goods" they sold you.
    2) Read your cars owners manual from cover-to-cover at least twice. (There are features that you dont even know about!!)
    3) Spend some time in a "Best Buy" or "Circuit City" in the car-audio section. They are TRAINED to sell you somthing that works. (and install it too)
    ...but beware - in the end they are SALES people and I often catch them trying to give me a line of crap. Given I am trained in electronics and computers - I can tell when they are feeding me BS. (Apparently, you may not fare as well)
  • dseaverdseaver Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I also have a 2007 Volkswagen Jetta and use my iPod with my car. I also happen to be a Volkswagen Sales Consultant. in order to plug your iPod into your car you have two options. Your first is to buy a cheep 1/8" stereo plug and it will plug into the jack inside the glovebox. Your other option is to go to your local dealer and have them put the iPod adapter in. The iPod adapter will not only let you control your iPod from the stereo but also charge it. Hope this helps.
  • jetta92ownerjetta92owner Member Posts: 8
    Yep - you guessed it - the radio antenna on my 1992 Jetta took it on the chin going through the car wash. Before I rush to replace it, though, I want to ask the forum experts a few questions - I want to make an informed decision about replacing the antenna. 1] Can I just get away with buying a replacement antenna without having to also replace the cable and the fender mounting and all the parts? If yes, how do I do that? 2] Can I get an antenna that I can actually remove (no, not retract, I mean remove) before going thru the car wash. 3] If your answer is no, can I get a short little antenna that's not as susceptible to the fury of the car-wash? Now, if you all can email me, that would be great, as I'd
    to get some sort of response pretty quickly. Thank you.
  • mfp1636mfp1636 Member Posts: 3
    When I turn on the car, evertything lights up and works except the radio. I had a completely dead battery, had a new installed a couple months ago and there were no problems. Recently, the temps got super cold here and my battery completely died. I had the car jumped and they accidently crossed the hookups. I checked the #42 fuse and it was blown out with some white residue around it. I put a new fuse in and it still not working. What other fuses should I check besides the drivers side fuse box? This is not the SAFE issue since the radio doesn't turn on at all. The security light does not even blink. Any suggestions?
  • defreitasmdefreitasm Member Posts: 152
    Not sure if this a problem but sometimes when I start my car, my XM radio starts up with the "PREVIEW" channel, which is channel #1 instead of the last station I left it on. It doesn't always do this so I'm not sure what causes this behaviour. I haven't really tracked whether it only happens overnight or short trips. I'm wondering if anyone out has the same issue. It has exhibited this behaviour from day one and the radio memory was updated once while it was in for service. I will ask about it at next service but sometimes the dealers seem clueless when you ask them about what is and isn't normal.
  • defreitasmdefreitasm Member Posts: 152
    "Can anyone solved my XM radio problem? XM is playing and I turn off motor and leave car. On return when I start car the radio display says "NO SAT RADIO". After several minutes I can get the XM to work. Dealer has swaped out the XM modul in trunk. Any thoughts?"

I have never experianced that issue but occasionaly when I start my car, it reverts back to the preview channel. Not sure if we have the same radio but I have a 2005 2.5 "NEW" Jetta radio without NAV.
  • leafies42leafies42 Member Posts: 2
    Hi! I was shocked to find someone else who is having the same problem as I am. I replaced all the fuses that were blown after I had to jump start my car ( exactly the same situation ) and now the radio is still dead. I can't get it to turn on at all however the rest of the cars electrical system seems to be functioning perfectly. If I figure it out I will let you know. Do you have a 200W Monsoon Amp as part of your OEM Audio system? I do and I was wondering if maybe the Amp has a seperate fuse that may be blown and is causing the problem. :confuse:
  • mdl70mdl70 Member Posts: 3
    Beleive me, an iPod DOES NOT store nor play MP3 files. (no matter what they say)

What are you talking about? Obviously you have never looked at the tech specs for them -- let alone use one. So all the MP3 files....yes, MP3....I have on my current iPod aren't there? They don't exist? I'm not talking about what I've purchased from iTunes. These are the MP3s I've ripped from ~100 CDs.

Given I am trained in electronics and computers - I can tell when they are feeding me BS. (Apparently, you may not fare as well)

Apparently you are not trained in all electronics. Please do some research.

FYI, here's what the iPod does play:

AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3 and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF and WAV
  • leafies42leafies42 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for clearing that up for us ;)

BTW WRT my Jetta Stereo... It was just a fuse in the dash behind the deck. The dealership just pulled the deck out of the dash and replaced the fuse for me today. No charge! :blush: Thank you Hammer Lane VW, Stockton, CA... I will not take my car anywhere else, and that is a promise. You Rock!!! :D
    Please try to be more receptive of technical truths.

Your files are NOT "mp3" format when stored in the Ipod unit. Interanlly to the Ipod unit, all files are stored as Apple propriatory files. The Ipod software converts them all before storage into the unit. (HINT: The instructions say you must not just copy files to the unit... only use special software to "synchronize" your music to the unit.)

It is also unkind (and closed-minded) of you to question over 25 years of circuit design and software development. Believe me, I KNOW how binary files are stored, retrieved and processed. I have to think in binary every day I go to work.

If you TRULY care to learn, here is a website which describes what MP3 means. http://www.mp3-tech.org/

I guess if you want to call an iPod an "MP3 Player" ... that is OK.... but PLEASE dont question the technical folks that actually know how it is designed and behaves internally. We will go on and continue to design technical marvels for the masses irreguardless if you have no clue how they really work.

While you are trying to teach us about technoligies - Would you care to describe to us the differences between flatpanel display technologies? I would love to hear you describe the difference between;
    *)Liquid Crystal Display (LCD)
    *)Plasma
    *)Digital Light Processing (DLP)
  • jiclarkjiclark Member Posts: 4
    As my daughter would say:

OMG!

You are as mistaken as you can be! Talk about being "receptive of technical truths"! I can show you all the music files on my iPod (even though Apple does put them in a hidden folder; is that what's confusing you possibly?); they are most definitely MP3 files, pure and simple.

Are you possibly confused by the fact that iTunes installs itself with the default conversion preference set to Apple's proprietary 'AAC' format? That's all I can imagine... My preferences are set to encode 192kbps VBR MP3s, just as anyone else can do as well, and that is *exactly* what it does.

With all due respect, and I am in no way questioning your knowledge or abilities in any other area, but you are most definitely misinformed (or, dare I say it, closed-minded?) about iPods and how many different formats in which they can store files. And pardon me, but describing "what MP3 means" really doesn't have a thing to do with whether or not an iPod can store files in that format, does it? You may be an expert in circuit design and software development, with an impressive ability to "think in binary every day", but that does not automatically bestow upon you an innate understanding of the iPod!!

I'm sorry, but I've never heard a more outrageous claim about iPods, though I've heard lots of stories… Do yourself a favor, bpeebles, and call an Apple repair shop and ask a tech, and they'll set you straight.

Sincerely,
    John
    The software does not convert the files at all. The files remain in the same format when copied to the iPod. Please, please provide me with a source for your claim. This might be an interesting read for you:

http://pag.csail.mit.edu/~adonovan/hacks/ipod.html

iTunes is not needed (thereby voiding your conversion claim) and the unit plays MP3 files just fine.

Your 25 years of circuit design and software development were never in question -- Simply your knowledge of iPods.

What do different display technologies have to do with the discussion at hand? Shall I ask you to describe A man-in-the-middle attack, Cross-site-scripting, or a buffer overflow? No, because it's irrelevant.

The only thing I can think of that comes remotely close to accurate in regards to your iPod knowledge is how it handles songs purchased from the iTunes store. YES, those are protected and proprietary and NO, they are not MP3s. I never disputed that as everyone is well aware of that fact. The files you rip from your own CDs or Podcasts downloaded from the web remain in MP3 format (or WAV or AAC, or whichever other audio format you choose to encode with that the iPod recognizes).
    I stand corrected. Thanks for setting me straight.

Being the technical-type, I felt obliged to check in to what you were suggesting. I have done some research and apparently the current generation of Ipod does INDEED store and play MP3 files.

I was more familiar with older generations of iPod and was not aware that apple must have obtained licensing for their newest generation of products.

It is unfortunate that as the iPod product line has gained capabilitues.... it has also lost some too. The battery is no longer a user-replacable item and the unit must be returned to Apple for battery replacment. (This is according to Apple.)
    Are you sure you aren't thinking of Sony's ATRAC format? One of their early HD-based music players only played that format and had to convert each song as you copied it to the player. They later opened it to allow MP3 playback. Every iPod my wife and I own (a 1st gen, a Nano, and a 4th Gen) have always been able to play MP3s. I wouldn't have bought one otherwise. That was one of the key items Steve Jobs wanted with their music player.

You don't have to go to Apple to replace your battery. There are and have been plenty of 3rd parties selling them:

http://www.pdasmart.com/ipodpartscenter5g.htm

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ipod/batteryreplacement/

http://www.ipodjuice.com/
  • fromda314fromda314 Member Posts: 1
    I just recently bought a used 2002 jetta and the radio does not play. The radio will cut on and cut off, it shows me the volume going up and down, when I put in a cd, I see everything functioning as if its reading the cd but no other buttons on the radio works besides the power/volume button. I get no sound and cant change channels, scan, or anything. When I turn the volume all the way down to 0 or minimum, I hear a beep come from the speakers so I think the speakers are hooked up,(but even if the speakers weren't hooked up that still wouldn't explain why no other buttons work) I've read some other forums and topic and keep reading about a safe mode, but my radio is not saying anything about being in a safe mode. Is this possibly another form of the safe mode. Has anyone had or heard of this happening before. If anyone has any info on this please let me know before I go tearing out the radio

thx

fromda314

Home of the World Champion St louis Cardinals
  • cuongcuong Member Posts: 45
    Do you still need help on this?
    I just changed the tape player for my 1999 (newer model) for cd player. It was easy after i got online instructions.
  • fpjdpfpjdp Member Posts: 10
    My bose radio displays the word "safe" and I do not know how to reset it. I have the radio code. Can anyone help me fiqure this out.
    Have you looked at the owners manual. The instructions should be in there.

Also, I have never heard of Bose and VW parterning up.... Are you certain yours is not a "MONSOON" radio.

You can try this... but some VW radios are different.

*)Hold down MODE and SCAN together ‘til 0000 appears
    *)Use preset buttons 1-4 to enter code (Use button #1 to enter first digit, button #2 to enter 2nd, etc.)
    *)Hold MODE and SCAN together again until the radio turns back on
    *)Enjoy the ride filled with music!
  • fpjdpfpjdp Member Posts: 10
    tried what you said that didn't work. any other suggestions.
    i bought the car used and i don't have the owners manual. thanks