Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430 Navigation System

2»

Comments

• rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    I'll pass on this one, no knowledge or experience with GS 430.
  • rclongrclong Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003, with version 6.1, Press Menu, when the screen comes up with the DVD button in the upper right corner.
    Press DVD,
    On the next screen, Press the upper left corner, lower left corner, upper left corner, lower left,lower right corner.
    A menu comes up.
    Press OVERRIDE until you hear a beep. Then Back.

I have to do this while stopped. It has to be done each time the vehicle is started.
    I have been told to be careful, the other menu choices can reek havoc. So only use the Override.

Good Luck
  • edurbinedurbin Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your response. Unfortunately it does not work on my LS430 2005 which has the 7.1 version of the map data.

After pressing the DVD button, the screen does not respond to the pressing of the upper and lower corners.

Any more ideas?

Ed
  • timcutimcu Member Posts: 3
    When I turn on my ignition, the navigation system has a message saying "Unable to read data. Check to see if map DVD is correct". If I try to go into the maintenance screen, I get the same message. All the navigation buttons beep, but dont work. What does this indicate?
    Tim
    I just took the DVD out and the system know I removed it. It knows when the drive door is open or closed. I can read the text file on the DVD from my laptop. It says that it is 2001 ver.1. Is it possible that the DVD is just too old? It worked fine up until 2 days ago. My car is a 2003 Lexus LS430. Are all 430s voice controlled?
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    .... the DVD should continue to work as it is not time limited. You can identify the source of the problem by borrowing another disk (if possible). If your system works, then the DVD may be scratched or something else with the DVD itself.

If it still doesn't work, the drive itself needs to be looked at for cleaning or replacement.

Good Luck!
    I think I have narrowed it down to being the drive. Do you have any recommendations on who can clean these thisngs?

Tim
    You could try blowing it out yourself, but you may knock the read head out of alignment. A good local stereo shop can repair it no problem I would think.

You could get a used replacement drive (cheapest option) or a new one from the dealer (very pricey) or hunt one down on the internet, new or used.
  • drarsdrars Member Posts: 3
    I've had a problem with my NAV in my 2001 LS430 that occurred after a data update. It was not fixed by the subsequent update or replacement of the NAV ECU (computer). All functions seem to work except the system suggests crazy routes. For instance, it plots a route from San Francisco to Lake Tahoe that correctly chooses I-80, but at one spot it directs me to go off the freeway, drive 20 miles down another road that runs more or less perpendicular to I-80, turn around, drive back those 20 miles and return to I-80 at the same intersection where I left I-80. There are many other examples, including selection of a minimum time route that the NAV predicts will take 1 hour longer than when I select maximum freeway driving. I have no avoid points programmed and my settings look OK. The GPS works fine. Has anyone else had such a problem?
  • 49er49er Member Posts: 4
    I have had the same crazy route problem since updating the NAV system 2 years ago. Occurs mostly with freeways in two forms: a rougly perpendicular route off and then back on the freeway adding 20 miles or so, or seeming to add a destination 20 miles beyond the designated one and then coming back by the same freeway. Would like to hear any suggestions.
    drars and 49er:

Delete all stored way points and stored locations. Reset traffic routing to all defaults. Delete previous destinations. Reinitialize home location.

It should work.
  • juliusnjuliusn Member Posts: 1
    Hello Tim
    I had received the exact message on our LS430 about two week ago. I was searching how to correct it by finding the location of the DVD. I could't. find it. Than I thought I may disconnect the power by removing the positive connection from the battery while the kee is in the ignation. After returnig the power I checked the nevigation system that now works just like before.
    If you still have that problem, do what I did. I hope it will work for you too.
    Julius
  • junkittwojunkittwo Member Posts: 1
    I want to install an updated navigation disk. Where is the navigation drive located on a 2005 ls430?
    The DVD unit is located under a small removable panel in the right (passenger) side of the trunk floor.

You will have to remove two 10 mm bolts to tilt the unit up and eject the old disc to replace it with the new one. Do this while the car is off of course, and don't drop the bolts in any crevices around the unit.
  • rodneyrrodneyr Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2003 Lexus LS430 (in near-showroom condition, with only 23K miles). It's a great car, but the nav data is the original 2003 information. I've seen plenty of update DVDs available online. However, I'd like to make sure a new version will work on this 6-year-old car. Can anybody give any guidance? My current DVD is version 2.1.

Will this DVD work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260446208662&viewi- tem=&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching&salenotsupported#ht_500wt_1136

Thanks,

Rodney
    I think that this will NOT work since it is for a Generation 6 system. Please see the following link:

http://www.sewellparts.net/Lexus_Nav_Generation_Chart.pdf

which would indicate that you need the disc for a Generation 3 system Part number 00230-GEN23-CY06 .
    Thanks for the chart. That helps!
    You are welcome. Once you get the right disc, replacement is a breeze so you may not need to pay somebody to do it.

The disc drive is under a panel under the passnger side of the trunk floor. Once the panel is removed, you will have to remove two 10 mm bolts to tilt the drive up, and then eject the disc manually. Put the new disc in and wait for the system to boot up before buttoning everything back down again.

Hint: Don't drop the bolts when removing them, as retreival may a be quite a pain.
    Thanks for that very helpful information. It sounds like this will be an easy fix!
    No problem, and Good Luck to you!
  • wain75wain75 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 LS400 and looking for the Navigation Unit. Can anyone help.
    Thanks
  • lamashermosalamashermosa Member Posts: 4
    Ok, after reading several posts here I'm confused. I just bought my mother the 2010 navigation CD upgrade for her 2003 LS430. I thought it would make a nice birthday present even though it financially set me back.

My question is how to install it (of course, it doesn't come with instructions), currently it has the original 2003 navigation CD loaded. I don't know if I need to use the override button first, if I have to dive into the trunk in order to swap out the CD's... or both! I assume that once the system reads the new CD it must stay in the car in order for it to work.

Can someone please help me as I really don't want to pay 1/2 hour of labor which is what all the dealers want to charge. I thought it was pretty steep buying the upgrade version ($180+tx) just to be hit with a $62+ labor fee on top of the CD. I found it strange how every dealer wants to make more than the other as each price is significantly different!

Thanks for any help you may be able to send my way.
    Rose
    The drive unit is under the trunk floor towards the right (passenger) side. Remove the panel. The drive unit is held down by two 10 mm bolts. Remove them and tilt the drive unit up to access the door. Eject old disk and replace with new disk. Close door and bolt the drive unit back down. Turn ignition switch to ACC and wait for the new data to be loaded. Easy!
  • dclaimitdclaimit Member Posts: 1
    lamashermosa greetings! Where did you locate the 2010 navigation CD upgrade version ??? for $180.00 + tax?
    Thank you for the information, my brother was able to install it. My mother is anxious to drive somewhere just to try it out! She relies heavily on the navigation to save her gas and time. She's so happy with her new update! Great job!! ..............Smiles ;):):D
    You are welcome, and thank you for the feedback! :)
    I bought my 2004 LS430 in June at an auction house (I hope that's ok to say). The car came with the navigation unit and all the original manuals, it appeared to be operable. Although I didn't see a Navigation DVD physically in with the manuals. A few months later I decided to buy an extra set on a popular online auction site, (I don't want to be reprimanded if I say which one so I won't go there). For $52 I got the original manuals and the nice original leather-like case which also had a 2004 LS430 navigation 2 disc dvd set inside for other 2004 Lexus models. It sat there for awhile as I was clueless and more than that overwhelmed with the navigation system.

BEFORE I bought those manuals etc. the FIRST time I tried to program the location it would say "Proceed ahead..." and that's ALL I'd get (just the initial first few words). Of course, I'd be lost between my house in Carlsbad and the recording studio in Los Angeles. That was over a hundred miles to get lost and stressed on all those freeways! WHEN I arrived it said.."You have arrived!" Well thanks a lot (hahaha) LOL. What's up with that? It was beyond me why it would only give the beginning information and the ending information: "Proceed ahead and you have arrived..." but nothing in between! :mad:

I tried putting the DVD, that came with the manuals I bought, in the CD slot and it played the contents and operational instructions, I wasn't sure if it had downloaded anything as far as giving me anything more than I already had.

And what's the point of having an expensive Navigation unit with an 6 year old outdated DVD that doesn't work?!! So I decided I'd ask my husband to buy me a new 2010 Navigation DVD after they were released in November.

My husband finally broke down and gave me the money as my Xmas present early, yes miracles occasionally happen... smiles. :blush:
    Now I'm ready to head over to buy my DVD, I was told they would make me the same deal as the one I recently bought for my mother. Unless you have deep pockets I think you should try to negotiate even if it's for accessories, the worse thing they could say is no (then try calling back and getting another person to give you a quote), it also helps if you call different dealers as "everything" is priced differently depending on how much they want to gouge you, and I'm not talking about a few dollars difference. In my case the supervisor, who was very nice, assisted me. I was also buying car mats for my husbands hand me down (from me) 98 ES300 and my car so maybe that helped.

Since I know there are a lot of you sharp, savvy people here I'm asking if someone would kindly tell me where the DVD installation location is in a 2004 LS430 as well as the installation steps. This way I'll be all set when I get my 2010 DVD to install it.

Thank you for your help in advance, hope you all have a fabulous day.
  • ls430whitels430white Member Posts: 4
    Hi lamashermosa,
    Your problem solved yet.If not,post it then I will give you some info later.
    No, it has not been addressed. I think there may not be anyone who wants to help.
    I need to know where to install (and the steps) the navigation dvd for my 2004 LS430.
    Thanks for your post.
  • ls430whitels430white Member Posts: 4
    for 2004 LS430, you need to have dvd for gen 4 to work with.Goog luck.
  • bigfischbigfisch Member Posts: 1
    Try www. knucklebusters.com its a salvage yard paid $240 shipped appx 11/2 years ago
  • ultrablk02ultrablk02 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Lexus LS 430 the navigation hasn't worked since I bought the car 2 years agosometimes the screen changes colors when I'm trying to do the navigation but the climate control and music screen is just fine any idea of what could be wrongif I hit the top of the screen will just jump sometimes also any ideas on the newest version that I can get on a DVD once I fix this problem thanks for your help in advance
  • turbinatorturbinator Member Posts: 5
    My car is the last year LS400 and Lexus stopped updating the navigation years ago. The best solution I have found is Garmin. However, Waze (a free app) and a smart phone would probably be even better. Some times you just have to admit that the manufacturer does not support "that new car smell" so, even though these are great old cars, they are still old cars.