Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Caravan/T&C Squeaks, Squeals and Funny Noises

fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
edited September 2014 in Chrysler
Brought my Wife's van back in this past Monday to have the dealer look into the continued creaking and chirping noises. The chirping, they're hoping, is coming from the timing belt. They already replaced (on a different visit) a pulley (wheel) associated with the belt. That didn't help. Now they will replace the entire belt. They wanted to keep the van overnight to see if the chirping disappears this am.

The creaking, which happened when starting to accelerate, is supposedly coming from the exhaust system. They replaced some piping and they also replace a motor mount. Isn't a motor mount a pretty big job?

Comments

• badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    You may have chirping from the serpetine belt, but this is not a timing belt. Neither the 3.3 or 3.8 L V-6 has a timing belt.

Motor mounts on most vehicles are not all that hard to replace, though I am sure there are exceptions to that statement.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I think you're right about the belt, thx for the clarification!
    We bought our van in May of 2005. We have almost 21,500 miles and we have had a couple of issues/problems.

Most of the problems were addressed by the dealer. But, we still have a creaking sound coming from under the van. We enjoy the van, but wonder how it will hold up in the long run!
  • dadto3dadto3 Member Posts: 17
    I just took my 2005 T&C in yesterday for service. They cleaned and lubed the sway bar and now I have a horrible creaking sound coming from under the front end of the van. Is this the same problem you're having? It's going back in tomorrow to the dealer for service to try and correct the problem. Also have an annoying high pitched squeak in the front dash that needs to be fixed.
    The creaking that the dealer has "attempted" to fix many times seems to be coming from in between the two fron seats. We have the removable center "console" or storage unit and its ounds like it is coming from under that. I got tired of bringing it back in after their many attempts. So, maybe when I need to get the van serviced I will bring it back in to get looked at. They have doen the lubing you referenced as well as replacing an engine mount and other small items on or near the exhaust system.

The noise occurs when accelrating form a stand still. A creaking is the only sound explanation I have...... :confuse:
    Since the center console is removable, have you removed it to see if the creaking ceases? It may just be a creak internal to the console, or maybe related to how the console is attached to the floor.

I don't have any experience with these consoles, don't have one in our 2006 GC, so I am not familar how it latches into the floor, but maybe the problem is at this latch area?
    Thanks for the reply. My van is now back into the dealer today...whatever they did earlier this week has now caused a 2nd creaking/squeaking noise. Hopefully they can figure out what it is. I don't have the center console in my T&C. The latest noise happens on acceleration and when I come to a stop. Guess we'll see what the latest verdict is. And to add to the fun, my other car is at the Ford dealer today for repairs. When it rains it pours! :cry:
    Please let me know what they find. Our van was creaking pretty loud this weekend. I will probably have the dealer look at it when I get it serviced next.

I don't think the center removable console is causing the problem. When the van was in for service about 3 weeks ago, the creaking was almost completely gone after I got the van back. But, within a week, the creaking was back. I noticed that when we turn at slow speeds, it sounds like the suspension creaks or pops as well.

Also, I drove a neighbor's 2003 T&C Limited and there was NO creaking coming from their van. It actually felt more solid than ours. I also noticed that their van (w/ 74,000 miles) accelerates much better than out T&C Touring (21,500 miles). The only thing I can think of is either when the stow-n-go was added they reduced the HP of the 3.8, therefore reducing acceleration or their engine is more worn in than ours......I really don't know! :sick:
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    The lower power of the new engine is probably the main reason for the acceleration difference; however, another possibility is the transmission. The 4-Speed units in these vans are "Learning" transmissions and as such, they will adapt their gear change and torque converter lockup timing steps to the individual drivers. It could be that your neighbors routinely drive harder/accelerate faster than y'all do and their transmission has learned to holder a lower gear (or leave the torque converter unlocked) longer.

Just a thought.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Your 2005 may weigh a bit more than a 2003 as well, due to the Stow and Go seating, and the pockets to accept them, as well as structural reinforcements required to improve crash test results.

Additionally, your perceptions of lower acceleration rates for your 2005 may be more perception than reality. The noise levels on the Stow and Go GC's and T&C's have been reduced from the earlier generation, and it is surprising how much a lower noise level on acceleration can fool one into believing that the van has less power.
    You're thoughts could be correct. Now, if only you guys could figure out why the van creaks like it has 150K miles on it.... :confuse:
  • heavydoeheavydoe Member Posts: 10
    From what I understand the vans have the same power as before. The EPA changed the way that they calculate horse power and under thier new formula it comes out as 205 instead of 215.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I seem to recall that the net numbers for the 3.8 dropped a year or two before the new EPA regulations went into effect. I'm not saying that DC didn't just switch early, however, I've heard for quite some time that it was the new exhaust system for the Stow-N-Go seating that is to blame for the power loss.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    So far our new 2006 GC has no creaks, rattles or squeaks. Of course we have only had it a couple of months and about 1500 miles. My first guess for creaks would be that they come from the front suspension somewhere, unless you are sure they originate in the interior of the van. Sway bar bushings or sway bar links would be an initial suspect.

Since your van is still under warranty, don't give up! At least get things documented that they looked for the creaks so that if the source is found later, you have proof there was a problem while it was still under warranty but went undiagnosed. Then you might be able to still get the fix covered under warranty.
    Well, as expected, my local dealer could not find either of the squeaks/creaks that I took it in there for. So, I drove it 45 minutes to the dealer I bought it from and left it there for a few days. They said they found the high pitched squeak from the dash area and could not recreate the creaking from underneath. I was happy at least 1 of the 2 was fixed. Got it home with no noise at all, drove it this morning and heard both of them! So, I'm going to wait till they drive me totally nuts and then take it back in to the dealer. Since they don't occur all the time, there's no use in taking back in since as we all know, the van won't make the noise while it's at the dealer!!
    I am 95% sure the creaking is coming from under the van. The dealer has already replaced numerous parts(engine mounts, etc etc), but the noise is louder than ever. Believe me, I won't give up. My thought is that the more we drive the van and the louder the noise gets, the easier it will be for the dealer to fix it. We also have an extended warranty until 75K miles...(I think). So, we are covered for many more years to come!!
    Sorry to hear that the noises resurfaced!! So have mine. The creak disappeared for about 2 days then slowly came back. I do get frustrated with the noise, but I realize that I still have 13K miles left on the B2B and the extended warranty up to 7 yrs or 75K miles. So, I am in pretty good shape!
    I am taking the van back in next Tues to get it serviced and to get the creaking, which is getting worse, looked at. I'll report back!
    My last trip to the dealer was a bust, once again. They thought they had it fixed, but did not. The day after I got it back, it started up again. It's fine on smooth surfaces, but when I hit a side street with bumps, it kicks in full force. I am going to give it one more shot at my local dealer in the next couple weeks. Let me know what they tell you is causing your creaking! Good Luck!
    I will surely let you know. The creaking seems to be getting worse. Like I said before, it not only creaks when I start from a stop, but when I am driving at low speeds and turn, I hear the front suspension creak or pop as well. I will bring this to the dealers attention tomorrow. :confuse:
    Well, I got the van back without the creak being fixed. they told me that they had to order a new tool to help them locate where the creaking is coming from. They had to stop replacing parts without knowing what was actually causing the noise. So, I got the van back last Thur and they said they would call when the new tool was in. Still waiting to hear from them. :sick:
    I may have possibly found part of my creaking/squeaking problem. Even though the sounds seem to be coming from the dash and from down under the dash, I found that when I put pressure on the roof console where the temperature/info center is, the sounds either stop or aren't as bad. Apparently the sounds are radiating down around the windshield or something which makes them appear to be coming from the dash area. I need to see if this is truly the problem and if so, let the dealer know. Nothing's ever easy!
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    Sounds like a crock of delay tatics to me. What are they waiting for? a stethoscope?
  • genetuckgenetuck Member Posts: 11
    I have heard of the windshield making noises like you describe. If that is the problem, I don't know if the solution is a lubricant between the glass and the rubber, or an application of liquid rubber. You might ask a window glass installer if that could be your problem.
    I received a call from the dealer yesterday and they finally got the new tool in. I am bringing the van in on Tues of next week. He said the tool is a wireless stethescope type tool. We will see if theycan find the creaking. It is getting very loud and I would be surprised if they couldn't locate it.
    We must have different squeaks and creaks. To my surprise, we had two clips on the headliner that we not connected to the roof somehow which was causing the squeaking noises. They re-attached the clips and I haven't heard it since. Of course, they tried to sell me $217 worth of routine maintenance while they had it in the shop!!!
    The dealer has had the van since Tues and is still working on finding the creaking. They called yesterday and said they heard the noise and are still working on a fix. Glad you got your noise fixed.

I think we have the exact same van. The in dash 6 cd/DVD unit hold up to 6 cd's or DVD's OR any combination of the 2. So you can have 5 cd's and 1 DVD or 1CD or 5 DVD's and so on and so on. There are 6 numbered buttons below the 6 disc slot. When you want to load a cd/dvd push the numbered button first, the unit will then allow you to insert the disc. Push the next numbered button and insert the new disc. When you want to play one of the disc's, push the desired number and it will load that disc.

Does that answer your question?
    Yes, that answers my question. I was thinking that I could have 6 CD's and 6 DVD's in at the same time...wishful thinking I guess! Thanks for the info - that is what I needed!
    I got a call from the dealer yesterdy and they are replacing the motor mounts. They think that may be causing the creaking. I believe they have already replaced th MM, but I guess we'll see if this helps. :confuse: :blush:
    After replacing ALL the motor mounts, the creaking noise is gone. Thank Goodness!!!!
    On my 2005 Chrysler T&C, I get a whistling type of noise when I am going about 30-40 mph. When I accelerate the sound immediately stops or if my speed gets down to around 20 mph, it stops. Has anyone else heard this?
  • greener1greener1 Member Posts: 37
    is it a whistling noise or a whining noise, i had same issue and they replaced transmission after 3 tsb's trying to fix it, and always went down or away on decelleration like you state
  • ohvanohvan Member Posts: 26
    We hear strange whinning noise on our van. It can be heard during idle but is much more pronounced during acceleration. It is annoyingly loud during cold weather. We have had high temps in the low teens this past week and the noise is almost non-stop during idel and initial accelartion. At higher s[speeds it isn't heard over the normal road noise. Any ideas?
  • mytumytu Member Posts: 4
    4 times in the Chrysler and the noise percists.
    With engine turned on and foot is on brake, engaje the trans
    mission to R or D and the noise rummbling and the chirping come. so they changed the Alternator,Belt,idler...and the noise still there..chirping and rumbuling in R or D.
    somebody on this planet have any idea what is this problem please tues feb 6 2007.
    Now I'm thinking if i have to replace one by one..$$power st
    ring,$$water pump,$$vibration damper,$$$A/C, and the $$$ belt tensioner. yes for the chirping problem. because the rumbuling noise when you engaje in R or D is another thing.
    sos...auxilio...help....please
    After 5 trip to the Chrysler in two Weeks and 4 car rental and change the A/C compressor by mistake the chiping rumbuling noise was.....The Belt Tensioner.....THE END
    5 times in the Chrysler in two weeks, 4 car rental and replace the Belt, the Alternator, the Idler Pulley, A/C Compressor,
    Tune up, Full Injector service....The noise was THE BELT TENSIONER.(20 mins job)....HOOO! MMMMA' Real Life History...THE END.
  • momstaxiemomstaxie Member Posts: 6
    I have the same car and the noise in the past only it gets louder when turning in any motion or stationary. I have had this before initially they flushed the power steering line. That worked for a while. I now have this again and am on my 4th visit to the dealer in the last 3 weeks. They flushed steering system,replaced trans soleniod assembly, trans service, new power steering pump and belt, new water pump(leaking), lube, oil and filter.I am told I also need the links replaced(Different Noise). It works for a day or two then back to the noise which gets louder each day. Temperature does not seem to have effect. Had a transmission overhaul at about 60,000. We are at 79,000. Not much left to fix. Like to know if yours gets resolved.
  • bmw58r60bmw58r60 Member Posts: 2
    We purchased a 07 about two weeks ago. There is a very definite air leak in the windshield, mostly along the top and more to the right than left. Have not actually seen anything on this yet... did hear of a customer in Ill who had this very same issue, wonder when it will be a recall item? :confuse:
    The car still has that strange noise after a total of 6 visits in 4 weeks. It is not heard all the time now but when heard it is not gone until the car is turned off. There is not much left under the hood to repair everything has been replaced and many $$$ spent. Any suggestions. I have given up.
  • selahselah Member Posts: 1
    Hi there, I have a Town and Country (2002), and it is making a knocking/rattling sound in the front left near the dash,parking brake area. This is annoying, but after 3 times being at the mechanic in six weeks, the sound is still there. They say it is the parking brake slot rattling around, not to worry, but we feel differently. Has anyone else had this?
  • ferchitaferchita Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I am told that I need to have my Power steering pump, as well as rack and pignon changed, and that the total cost will come out at $1,150 (essentially for parts...). It seems to be substantially higher than what I undertsand the cost should be when looking on some web sites. I would appreciate the thoughts of anyone more knowledgeable than I am! Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
    The price isn't out of line. I had essentially the same work done yesterday for just under $1100. The work seems to have resolved the noise problem we've been experiencing for about the past six months.
    We may have finally resolved our noise problem, Refer to comment #46. I will let you know after a few weeks, but the early results look good.

You may also want to look at comments #9, 10 and 11 under the Dodge Grand Caravan Steering topic for more ideas about how to solve the problem.
    Good to hear. Let me know what you did and approximate cost. Is the dealer necessary? I checked the other comments thanks. It seems to simple after all the work I had done. I still have the noise. Afraid of what else they will find if I bring it in.
    We replaced the rack and pignon steering. It cost about $1000. The steering seems to be improved and the noise is completely gone. Expensive though, but mechanic claimed we really didn't have a choice. It had to be done. Overall, we're satisfied. the van is paid for with 55,000 miles. Hopefully we will now get a few more years of good service out of it.
  • gygrundygygrundy Member Posts: 1
    just wanted to add my two cents...i just bought my 04 town and country and have that awful whine showing up...the whine is present when i just start driving and disappears after 10 to 15 minutes...i just had the steering pump replaced and it didn't fix a thing, in fact, it sounds worse...i have just discovered that the former owner had the pump replaced twice...the dealer "inspected" the steering rack and says that it is fine (i wonder)...i will be taking the van back to the dealer until they really fix the problem...luckily it has an extended warranty otherwise there is no way that this would be affordable...i had to leave it at the dealer for two days...seems that since it was warranty work they just took their sweet time...this is getting really maddening...the dealer said they took it for a test drive and all was fine...hardly!
    Thanks for the info. After spending close to $2000.in 6 weeks on all the other things they tried to fix, I will live with the noise a little longer. Replacing the steering was never mentioned after working on the car for so many days you think they might have thought of that. I don't think they really believed that there was a noise. Thanks again and good luck. Like to know it lasts after several thousand miles.
  • mcmmccmcmmcc Member Posts: 1
    I have no idea if this will help, but we had a similar problem with our 05 T&C. Turns out that there is a special kind of power steering fluid that is used and not the regular type. My husband added the regular type of power steering fluid when we were low. The van started making this horrible whine, and after 10-15 minutes it would be fine. So he drained the power steering fluid and used the special formula. I think he had to drain it twice to make sure the wrong stuff was out. We no longer have had that problem and it has been 3 months or so.
  • dawngrajedadawngrajeda Member Posts: 1
    Hello
    I too have this strange whine when we start up the car and disappears after 10-15 seconds. My question is, what is this special steering fluid you found to work on this noise. I would like to try it first before taking it in to get service.
    Thank you in advance for your reply :)
This discussion has been closed.