Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Edge Too Heavy? How's the Handling?

2»

Comments

• walterquintwalterquint Member Posts: 89
    MT was pretty harsh with the Edge, unnecessarily so I think. Weight (and the resulting "ponderousness") was a big factor in their opinion. IMO, I don't think it's fair to put so much pressure on the vehicle. Many have said the Edge will make or break Ford; it's just not fair. the Edge is NOT the equivalent of the 1984 Chrysler minivan or the 1986 Taurus......but it does appear that the vehicle's weight is drawing criticism from the traditional media.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    don't forge those are 'epa' numbers. some vehicles try to optimize those tests. i don't know if the edge is one of them , but i doubt it.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    I know people criticize the EPA MPG numbers. My Freestyle 2WD model nails those EPA 20/27 MPG numbers exactly. Highway driving gives me between 25 to 28 mpg. I think its a good test/rating method.
  • arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    It depends on how much heavy your foot is and environmental variables like temperature and altitude (going up and down).

All those curb weights on the Edge in those magazine articles include that panaramic moonroof which adds 200 lbs. to the roof. I would think that would effect handling, making the vehicle a bit more top heavy. Roll stability might kick in to hurt those performance numbers.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    what i am saying is that i don't think ford really tries to fudge the numbers if they don't have to pay any fines.
    i have 4 fords. they all get epa or better mileage, unless my leadfoot daughter is city driving. :surprise:
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • srangersranger Member Posts: 106
    Edmunds full review of the edge was not promising...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=117551

This part really looks bad....

"The Edge is fitted with four-wheel disc brakes and four-channel ABS. The problem is the brakes are not ventilated and need to slow some 4,500 pounds of hurtling metal. The result was a hair-raising 152-foot stop from 60 mph. To put that uninspiring distance into perspective, the 7,550-pound Ford F-350 Super Duty 4x4 recorded a 142-foot stop in a recent heavy-duty truck comparison test. Obviously, Ford will need to address this shortcoming soon."

Here is the summary:

"We began this test with high hopes from the handsome newcomer. Ford needs this vehicle. Ford wants you to want this vehicle. But it's hard to make a compelling argument for the Edge when compared to traditionally styled stalwarts like the Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, or even Ford's own Explorer. Size, price and capabilities of the Edge are, at best, on par with those vehicles.

It gets even harder to defend the Edge when it's compared to the Hyundai Santa Fe, Mazda CX-7 or Toyota RAV4. Each is less expensive, more fun to drive and generally more fuel-efficient.

Although we like Ford's newest crossover, the edgiest thing about it turns out to be its name."
  • passat_2002passat_2002 Member Posts: 468
    One should remember that this review is the opinion of only one person. There have been reviews of the upcoming Edge that have been much more favorable. I think if this particular reporter had been given a base model to review, he would have been more favorably impressed.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    "The Edge is fitted with four-wheel disc brakes and four-channel ABS. The problem is the brakes are not ventilated and need to slow some 4,500 pounds of hurtling metal."

Please be advised that this statement IS NOT CORRECT. While the preproduction Edges driven by Edmunds may not have had vented rear discs, Ford decided to change to VENTED ROTORS front AND REAR for all regular production EDGES.

The EDGE you buy at a dealer will have 4 VENTED ROTORS.

One battle the bean counters LOST!

Mark.
    I hope you are right and Ford has fixed the braking problem that both Edmunds and CarAndDriver found.

I like the Edge, but I have decided to keep my Mariner for another year and see if the Edge is reliable and has the braking problem fixed... ( Also is it likely that there will be rebates by this time next year... )
    This is to everyone out there who is considering buying a new car. In the past, US automakers made 2 many cars. Because of UAW rules and non-modern plants that were not flexible, it was cheaper for the company to put out a big rebate to sell more vehicles than to idle the factory.

NOW, the automakers are making less vehicles, at fewer plants that are upgraded to allow production to reflect demand.

In addition, thanks to internet shopping, Manufacturers are LOWERING the MSRP on vehicles to be closer to the final transaction cost in the past.

Fords latest car models, the Fusion, 500, and Mustang never had significant rebates until well into the next model years selling season.

Even the new Explorer hsd not has the huge rebates it had in the past.

The best deals are usually in August.

Mark.
  • markanmarkan Member Posts: 48
    This is great news. Thanks for the update. To the engineers out there, how much will this improve stopping distance?
    Sorry, I am not buying it. I still think they will be desprate to get rid of them by this time next year and we will see the same 2-3K rebates. Once the new wears off ( 1-2 months ) people will realize that it is not any better than some of it's competators and is more expensive that some. Also the new 2008 Hylander will be out by then with the 269hp V6 with the 6speed from the Avalon. It will be hyped up in all of the auto mags and people will quit looking at the Edge....

P.S you can get a 1K rebate on a 2007 fusion right now. A co-worker just bought a 2007 Explorer for 6K under MSRP. However, even if Ford does not offer a rebate, the dealers will still have to offer a hearvy discount to move them as there is simply too many good alternatives...
    If you visit www.highwaysafety.org, and check out the crash test news release about Minicars, the Versa did the best because it is bigger and heavier than the Fit, Yaris, Aveo, Accent.

Newtonian physics dictate that when two objects collide, the object with greater mass will transfer energy or loose energy to the object with less mass.

If you are in a lighter vehicle hit by a heavier vehicle, you stand a good chance of coming out the worst of the two vehicles.

Anway, the way the guy from IIHS talks in the video about the Minicar test, you feel ENCOURAGED to give up a little fuel economy to have more car around you to protect you in a crash.

Mark.
    Incidently, the independant company that sets lease end values gave Edge the HIGHEST residual percentage for any vehicle in its class.

Somebody out there thinks Edge will hold its value, and banks will be risking alot of money on that recommendation.

Mark.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Newtonian physics dictate that when two objects collide, the object with greater mass will transfer energy or loose energy to the object with less mass.

Not exactly. If the more massive object is stationary just before impact it will acquire kinetic energy while the lighter one loses kinetic energy.

What you meant to say is that while the exchange of momentum between the two is equal and opposite, the change in speed of the more massive object is less than that of the lighter object. This is why your conclusion is correct and why the windshield wins over the bug. :)

tidester, host
    I would not want to be the guy/gal that made that decision in a couple of years when the first leases are up....
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    If you visit www.highwaysafety.org, and check out the crash test news release about Minicars, the Versa did the best because it is bigger and heavier than the Fit, Yaris, Aveo, Accent.

Actually, the Versa only did better in the rear impact test, which is a test of the seats and headrests on 20mph impact. Nothing at all to do with weight.
    Excellent answer about the physics...

However, the crumple zones on the car do far more to save the lives of the occupants than the weight. It is better to decelerate the car more slowly by allowing the energy to be absorbed by bending metal...
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It is better to decelerate the car more slowly by allowing the energy to be absorbed by bending metal...

Precisely!

tidester, host
    Watch the video, the talking head goes on and on about heavier is better.

Mark.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    But just being heavy isn't enough. That's why some small cars have better side impact safety ratings. When you're T-Boned by another vehicle, a really heavy car with a poor door design and lack of side airbags isn't any safer than a better designed small car with side airbags. Maybe (big maybe because I'm no auto engineer) since the smaller car moves when it's hit, some of the energy of the crash is used, while some big cars don't move as much, but metal in the doors is pushed into the passenger compartment. I don't really know exactly, but I do know that some smaller cars get better side impact scores.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "The ride quality is comfortable, and the handling is good for a 4,200-pounder, but neither is anything to write home about. Around cloverleaf entrance ramps, our front-driver feels top-heavy and predisposed to understeer."

2007 Ford Edge: A Second Look
    Funny, the Edge is 2 heavy yet the Honda Pilot which weighs more is not.

Mark.
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    The Edge is a new design, so there was some hope we could get it in at about 3800 lbs with new, strong, lighter materials. The Pilot has been out for a few years and is slightly bigger than the Edge, so it should weigh slightly more. As is, the Edge without panoramic roof, weighs about 4100 lbs, only a little too porky, as the bigger Freestyle weighs 4000 lbs. With more extensive use of aluminum and/or boron HSS they could have gotten the vehicle weight down to 3500 lbs if they wanted to, improving performance as well as fuel economy. The Japanese put an aluminum roof on the latest Outlander to keep it from being top-heavy, so why can't Ford be innovative on their brand-new design?
    The Japanese put an aluminum roof on the latest Outlander to keep it from being top-heavy, so why can't Ford be innovative on their brand-new design?

It is not a good answer, but the fact is that Ford is running out of money and they could not afford to keep the weight down on the Edge and these lighter materials are more expensive to produce and require more engineering to get right...

Heck they could not even afford to get rid of the old 4 speed atuo in the 2008 Escape...
    This isn't about cost as much as its about prior bad decisions coming home to roost.

Appearntly we are stuck with the 4 speed in the 08 Escape because Ford has no factory capacity for the new 6 speed.

Ford just announced a new plant inventment:
    Van [non-permissible content removed] Transmission: $320 million to help assemble a fuel-efficient, six-speed, front-wheel drive transmission for the next generation Ford Escape.

We have to wait until 2010.

Mark
    We have to wait until 2010.

Ouch....

That is going to hurt sales....
    With all the white collar job eliminations at Ford, I hope the people (managers) who got the company into this mess are the ones being targeted.

Mark.
This discussion has been closed.