Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic GX Engine Questions

2»

Comments

• adeaadea Member Posts: 44
    qb...here is my story: I have a 2000 Honda GX and I used ONE time TRILLIUM brand cng fuel, and I only made it a few miles when I felt a miss in the engine. About ten miles later or so while on the freeway, my check engine light started flashing and it would hardly run. I limped home not knowing all the damage that was being caused by the plugged/open injector (oil from their pumps!), including catalytic converter, fuel injector, control module, 2 o2 sensors, plugs, wires, distributor, rotor, and anything else electrical under the hood that I can't remember right now. $2000 later, it now runs great and after a valve job, I obtained 50 mpg/hwy for the first time using my Scangauge II. This cool device will also read out your trouble codes, readouts for many functions such as mpg, actual mph, volts, rpm's, water temp, etc. and is also a trip computer! Overall, I can get 42-43 mpg and go over 500 miles with my two tanks. (extra one is behind the front seats). So, I would definitely replace your catalytic converter (bought mine online much cheaper than anywhere else). I also bought an injector from AutoZone and it has performed flawlessly for over two years now. And make sure that your bottom (secondary/after catalytic converter) o2 sensor is the correct one! Using your car year and model with online and AutoZone WILL NOT give you the CORRECT one and your check engine light will stay on, plus it will run roughly. Make sure you get the PART # from Honda, then buy it at AutoZone. It has a different shape than the top one, at least my 2000 one does. Now, if that doesn't solve your problem, make sure you get the actual Honda spark plug wires and plugs! That was the last thing that finally kept my check engine light out! They told me that the car is very sensitive and needs the actual replacement parts for that, and that was the only thing that they said that turned out to be true. LOL Good Luck! :D
  • robmmarrobmmar Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Honda GX with a with a Keihin fuel pressure regulator. It appears that the diaphragm is showing serious signs of wear and is need of replacement. Honda sales the FPR for $2,041.00, and apparently owns all the rights to exclusively sale this part. My mechanic has tried silicone glue on the dipragm for the time being but a better fix is needed. The FPR part # is 16740-PDN-A01. Any suggestions would be appreciated
    Rob
  • adeaadea Member Posts: 44
    That part number from Honda is the entire assembly...not so sure you would need that...autopartswarehouse has just the pressure regulator for under $100 with free shipping. I usually get my parts from AutoZone or Rock Auto Parts, but neither one of those seems to have it. Let me know what you find and if it fixes the problem. How did you know it was needing replacement without looking at it? Thanks!
  • jc_autojc_auto Member Posts: 3
    Adea,

The Autopartswarehouse system is wrong...very wrong. Your first clue should have been that they list the same regulator for both the "GAS, D16Y7" and the "CNG, D16B5" even going so far as to show the GX as having the D16Y7 engine. Pretty sad website if you ask me.

Jeff
  • akkadian09akkadian09 Member Posts: 1
    I’ve got a 2009 Honda Civic GX and I’d like to see if I can squeeze a little more horsepower out of her by installing some typical performance upgrades like a high-flow air intake and opening up the exhaust. Can those kinds of performance mods be done on the GX cars without messing up anything else, like the on board computer, engine monitoring system, etc.? Please advise; thanks much! –

- akkadian09
  • bills10bills10 Member Posts: 1
    thoughs guys at "Accurate Injector Service" do realy good work . saved me 300 bucks on my cars fuel injectors . www.accurateis.com or sales@accurateis.com .. for email . I also sent them my toyota fuel injectors and my dad sent them the fuel injectors out of his mercury marine boat engine. all with great results .
  • sfcascootersfcascooter Member Posts: 1
    How can I pm you?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    To allow another member to contact you via email, just click on the Forum Preferences link on the right side of the page and set your email to Public. This will allow registered Edmunds forums users (and ONLY registered forums users) to click on your user name and see your email address. Please do not post your email address in posts
  • npwesthoffnpwesthoff Member Posts: 1
    I have a '98 GX. According to owner's manual and all the Honda dealerships, the fuel cylinder needs to be replaced at 15 yrs. This will cost >$7K, of which $6K is for the carbon fiber/fiberglass cylinder replacement.
    A number of on-line suppliers sell a similar-sized (14" x 40.2", 7.3 gal.) but heavier (244 lbs). steel cylinder for $864, made by the Argentine company Kyoshi, which does meet DOT standards for vehicle fuel cylinders. However, the Honda dealerships refuse to install that product for "liability" concerns (read: less $ profit margin).
    I have found a couple of shops, several hundred mi. from me (NoCal), who are certified to do CNG cylinder swaps, but they are concerned that the fittings for the steel tanks won't match the originals, won't know until they take it apart. This might mean extended period in the shop if more parts have to be ordered.
    Just today I spoke with a used car dealer who is trying to unload a '98 GX, has NOT changed the cylinder, and claims that it's not necessary, because none of these tanks have ever failed, so long
    as the vehicle has not been damaged.
    Any comments?
    Thanks,
    Norm
  • jc_autojc_auto Member Posts: 3
    No need to change unless it's leaking or been impacted due to an accident. If you're concerned, seek out a licensed inspector to have it re-certified.
  • hugh_ahhugh_ah Member Posts: 2
    I've had the high-pressure filter changed on my 2006 GX after it apparently clogged and switched off fuel flow. Lately, I had it happen again, 100feet out the driveway suddenly NO FUEL. Dealer kept car for several days, said filters were fine, but "pressure switches" were tripped. Honda in Torrance advised they drive it 30 miles in 3 legs, turning car off, and finally they couldn't find a problem after resetting the codes.

Now today, five days later, it's dead again 100ft out of driveway. My friend with a OBD2 diagnostic device sees 5 codes in "N/A" -- obviously the fuel system codes are Honda proprietary -- how special! Now I need to find a diagnostic computer that can get at and reset those codes, or pay probably thousand$ to replace the entire fuel system (or scrap the car and return to gasoline!).

Does anyone know a brand and model of diagnostic computer that can GET AT the fuel system codes in these over-engineered nightmares? I think the best solution is to keep the computer in the car so I can reset the codes every few days when the car tries to leave me stranded.