Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Charger: Snow/Ice Driving

pmac06pmac06 Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Dodge
I am looking very seriously about buying a new Charger RT and would like to know if anyone has drove this car in any bad weather yet, ice or snow and how it handles.

Comments

• cmdr17cmdr17 Member Posts: 5
    I just picked up a 2006 Charger R/T from the dealer last night. We had about 7 inches of snow here in Chicago and I was pleased with the handling. I park outside and my parking spot wasn't plowed and the Charger had no problem moving. Traction and handling was great when I was commuting home also. I haven't driven up any snow covered hills, but other people I've talked to have said it can handle all conditions minus the extremes one that only a Jeep could handle.
  • dianne5dianne5 Member Posts: 2
    i have drove mine in bad weather. the car itself would handle fine, if it had different tires on it. i don't like the tires that come on them. i had a bad experience with those brand of tires before.
  • mjamimjami Member Posts: 1
    I am torn between buying a Charger SXT and another car. I am concerned about the RWD. I haven't driven one in years, and remember all to well how it DIDNT handle in the snow. Can anybody help me? I also heard from a dealer that Dodge was going to put out an AWD model? Has anybody heard that?
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    The rear wheel drive Chrysler and Dodge cars use a electronic stability program (ESP) to control handling in the snow. It is the same program used in Mercedes cars and makes the rear wheel cars handle very well in snow and ice
  • worrworr Member Posts: 45
    Driven them in snow here...no problems. Handles better than my FWD Oldsmobile without traction control. The ESP does make up the difference.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Yes, RWD vehicles will not as willingly nor as quickly get up and going on the slippery stuff as more often will front weight biased FWD vehicles.

But on the other hand insofar as ultimate safety is concerned the additional safety aspects of RWD is exactly why the indistry is moving back in that direction.

At the same time you may notice that the entire FWD industry/models are struggling with finding a solution for the unsafe nature of FWD or front torque biased AWD vehicles with automatic transaxles. Mostly in the very same circumstances wherein the public has been mislead into believing FWD to be an asset, overall.

NOT...!!!!

With a "stick" you can always quickly disengage the clutch if the front wheels begin to slip/slide due to engine compression braking, or too allow your ABS to do its "thing". With a FWD automatic you had better have practiced quickly slipping the transaxle into neutral just as the AAA has been recommending for many years.
This discussion has been closed.