Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Charger: Test Drives

jrourkejrourke Member Posts: 72
edited March 2014 in Dodge
Now that winter is (almost - I hope) over, I'm back to considering a new car purchase. Test drove a charger SXT this week. Generally liked the car, but was disappointed in the "feel of the road" while driving. The steering wheel just moved too much and didn't give me a taut feedback/feeling while turning. Is this typical or is it just my own perception? I think I recall a review commenting on too much assisted steering and assume this is what they meant. This was a short test drive so I may return for a longer one.

Comments

• xtecxtec Member Posts: 354
    I thought the same thing when I first drove my SXT Charger.
    I drove mopars most of my life and thought this feels like GM's steering.It didn't stop me from buying the Charger.I
    had front wheel drives for a lot of years and they had firmer steering.Don't forget the front wheels drives have
    the engine and tranny over the front wheels.The Charger is well balanced so there is less weight over the front wheels.When I drove my car today, the steering does feel
    better then when it was new.I don't feel that the steering has much movment.This car will go where you want it.I think once it breaks in a little ,you notice the change in the steering as well as the ride.I'm very happy with this car and think its the best Chrysler ever made.Its has a smooth ride,great brakes,feels solid.Good luck with your
    choice.
  • lflowerslflowers Member Posts: 155
    I test drove a new Charger R/T on Saturday. Equipped pretty much like I would like, including the Road/Track package. Came very close to closing the deal on Monday, but my wife made a point that makes sense (unfortunately!!). I'm retiring in December, I drive 100+ mile per day to work and back, and my current car (2000 300M) has 135K miles on it now. Her point was to drive the 300M until just before I retire so all those additional miles won't be on my new car. I've loved the 300M (still do), but I was definitely getting the hots for a new Charger.
    Oh well, I guess that gives me two reasons to look forward to December!!
    Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hey! Welcome back!!
  • illini4illini4 Member Posts: 140
    Good to hear another name from the old 300M days. I traded my 2000 M for an 06 300C a couple months ago. I can tell you that the LX cars are outstanding.
  • justgreat47justgreat47 Member Posts: 100
    135k on the 3.5? that's a good barometer for reliability issues; how has the motor been for you? any major problems with it? how often did you have have the cam drive belt replaced?
    Yes, that's right! 135K trouble free miles on the high performance 3.5. I replaced the timing belt at 100K and had the only tune up it's ever had at the same time (not because it was running poorly, just because the owner's manual recommended a tune up). I have been changing the oil every 3K miles and I use Castrol GTX (I've had very good service from other cars with the same oil). The only real problem with the 300M was the steering rack needed replacement at about 70K (too much steering play). That was covered by my extended warranty. Almost have another 70K now, new steering rack still seems fine.
    The 300M has been the best car I've ever owned (and I've been driving for over 50 years now). My experience with this car is the reason I'm looking at Chrysler products again (but I like the styling of the Charger much better than the new 300). Even though my experience with the 3.5 has been great, I think I'm gonna go for the Hemi now that it is available. If the Charger reliability is as good as my 300M, it will probably be my last car!

Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
  • looneytoonlooneytoon Member Posts: 14
    I have a Charger R/T with 22" wheels lowered 2" and all the engine and exhaust upgrades known to man. I would take 60k for my car. I bought it in May 05 with no miles on it and have customized it to the hilt. I have 30k on it and the only complaint I have is the cheap window rubber on the quarter windows and the plastic covers on the steering wheel. I dont think you can find a better car for the money on the market. As much as I can't wait to get one of the new Challengers when they come out I still wont get rid of the Charger. At First I wasn't sure about the four doors due to the fact the original was a coupe. I design custom cars out of these all day long and have found most people don't even know it is a four door until they really look. All I can really say I guess is Mopar finally got one right~!!!!!
    It sounds like you have a awesome Charger.If you can maybe you can put a picture of it on this site.So far I'm very happy with my Charger and I think its the best car Chrysler ever made.
    ok now i will really sound like a dummy. You would think a guy who designs cars for a living would know how to put a pic on the net. I see all of the buttons but i dont see any that will allow me to put pics on the net. Some help please? then it would be my honor to show off pics of my ride. Thanks">
    I just went to my profile ,took a picture from my computer,
    and downloaded it on my profile.It worked.If you click on my name it will show you my car.To put it on this message board I'm still lost how to do it,but saw other people put
    them on the site.I noticed we are almost neighbors,I live in Tucson.I bought my Charger from Earnhardt's Dodge.
    yeah I build all the custom cars and trucks you see at Earnhardt's I do their ford, dodge, and nissan lines. Dodge I must say is my favorite. I got the profile thing down I hope. There should be a pic on there now. Thanks for all the help.
    Man thats a great looking ride you have.It looks like a SRT8.I love the color and the way you did the hood with the
    scoop and the paint.I remember looking at the custom cars and trucks when I was there buying my car.Great job.The photo of my car was when it was new.Since then I added tinted windows and a SRT rear spoiler.The spoiler made a big differance on looks.If you ever come to Tucson for a car show,let me know,I would like to look at your car in person.
  • losskilosski Member Posts: 12
    I went cheap and got a charger se and i put 22" on it. What
    can i do under the hood?
    there are several aftermarket cold air intakes you can add. That will improve the throttle response and power. as far as exhaust borla flowmaster and magnaflo make a nice single exhaust kit. I wouldn't put duals on the car just because it will make it sound more like a V6 with rumbling and you will actually lose hp. Hope that helps.
  • losskilosski Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the info, There is a exhaust place here that has a factory dual kit for the V6 3.5. Where can i find the cold air intake for a V6 3.5?
    I have a cold air intake on my 2000 300M that I bought from K&N. It has a cone filter, an intake tube that replaces the stock one and a baffle to create a "cold air box" under the hood. To be honest though, I could never really tell any difference in the performance from the K&N intake or from the custom dual exhaust I put on it.
    The duals look nice though!

Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
    Have you tried driving in 4th all the time rather than overdrive? with most aftermarket exhaust system you will run too rich if you leave the car in overdrive all the time. Just a suggestion.
    I would run a single exhaust setup. the duals look great but actually take from the performance of the motor. On the cold air intake I would go to any aftermarket dealer in your area. If you cant find one try ebay. they seem to have stuff pretty cheap there. And as I posted earlier, if you put an exhaust on your car drive it in fourth unless you are on the highway. Any in town driving you will lose performance and waste fuel. hope that helps.
  • jacknzonejacknzone Member Posts: 82
    Hi People ,Could anyone one help !
    I am Trying to find a movie. All I can remember of the movie is the end of the movie when the car hits a train side on ( you think he has got away with it ),I think the car was a Dodge Charger , IT has been many years since i have seen the movie. But like to add to the car chase dvd I have got . Another scene i can remember is the car getting chase or something like that, in a orange grove. It was a great movie like Vanishing point , gone in 60 sec , Duel and many more. :D
    The movie your talking about is Dirty Mary,Crazy Larry,It stars Peter Fonda and it is a Charger.It came out in '74.
  • jacknzonejacknzone Member Posts: 82
    Thank you xtec got it on order now that i have got the title of the movie It will be here in 10 days from the USA Thanks Jack :):)
  • mw3000mw3000 Member Posts: 24
    I just wanted to give you some advice of what my mechanic said about K&N air filters. I resently put on on my lincoln aviator and in his oppinion they may help horsepower but at a cost to the engine. he has some fixed up mustangs that only a K&N Filter will fit and when he pulled apart the turbos the were pited from dust and particles. in his opinion since they are high flow air filters more dirt is able to get through. I trust his advice and since i hate replacing engines, it is gone. mike Tucson, Arizona.
  • vibsrvibsr Member Posts: 47
    I rented a 2007 Charger SXT for a week, and put over 1400 miles on it (mostly highway). It felt like a well-screwed-together piece of machinery. It gave a good ride, good acceleration (250 hp V6), and reasonable gas mileage (28 MPG) for a car of this bulk. This was the first time that I spent any time with one of these new (?) auto-stick transmissions. Before I go any further, let me state that I realize not all transmissions of this type are the same. The Tiptronics (Porsche), the DSGs (Audi/VW), and the rest of these manual-option automatics (paddle shifters, too) are designed for different drivers and driving styles. My comment is based on my experience with the 5-speed automatic in the V6 Charger. OK.

I know the benefits of holding gears in certain situations. I've been driving cars with manual trannies for over 20 years. My current car is an Acura RSX with a manual gearbox.

[Back to the Charger]
    I went looking for some thrills with this auto-stick, but none were found. Even though I selected 2 or 3 or 4 on the upshift, the transmission engaged the particular gear when the COMPUTER gave the final OK.

Under normal conditions and those requiring brisk acceleration, manually shifting THIS transmission with THIS engine is a complete waste of time.

In full-auto mode, this transmission does it's job quite nicely. I suspect most drivers will just put it in [D]rive and let the electronics and hydraulic wizardry take over.

That said, I bet a Charger with an honest-to-God 5 or 6-speed manual transmission would be one kick-[non-permissible content removed] ride! :shades:
This discussion has been closed.