Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Entourage: Should I Buy One?

caseybeacaseybea Member Posts: 15
Hi- I'm back. While I'm probably going to end up buying the Sedona, I have a general question as applies to the Sedona/Entourage as well: Is it worth the approximate $1,000 to get the power side doors? I'm a bit nervous about the door motor(s) failing over time. Anyone here used power sliding doors on other (older) vans- how well did they (or not) work for you?

With similar packages, the Sedona EX (add power doors) is almost a dead heat with the Entourage price-wise.

Comments

• vanfor3vanfor3 Member Posts: 14
    Maybe I'm just pricing it wrong, but the MSRP of sedona ex with premium entertainment, luxury, and power packages is $31,365 v. Entourage with Ultimate package and crossbars (to make features equal) is $33,640.

Hopefully I've just missed some great features and when I get to see the Entrouage in person I'll find out.
  • mike_belknapmike_belknap Member Posts: 378
    My parents owned a very unreliable '93 Pontiac TranSport with a power-sliding door. Problems included multiple occurances of doorlatch failure (related to holding the door in the open position and releasing it once the button was pushed for the door to close).

Regardless, I certainly wouldn't suggest making projections concerning the reliability of the Entourage/Sedona from a single, 14-year-old GM unit. In fact, my parents are planning on purchasing an Entourage next week -- even though the manually-operating doors are light and easy to use, they insist on buying one with the power-sliding doors.

Mike
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    Do you have kids? If yes, then the power doors are a necessity. Also, the Kia has an extensive warranty and I can only imagine that the doors are covered up to 5years 60K miles.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    A necessity? My family managed very well with non-power doors through almost 13 years of minivan ownership. Shoot, for almost 8 years we only had one sliding door! But I can see it would be useful if you have young kids, or don't mind paying for the convenience of being able to open a door with a button when carrying groceries etc. My kids are 10, 14, and 17 now and can manage the doors on our minivan just fine.
    Okay, maybe I was exaggerating a little :) Before we bought our van this past Saturday (an 06 Odyssey EX-L), my wife asked her sister what her favorite feature of owning a minivan was (an 01 Chrysler T&C) and she said matter of factly "the power sliding doors". Granted she has three kids under the age of eight. Having a ninth month old in a car seat, I can tell you that the dual power sliding doors are an awesome convenience and safety feature (the door will not close someone's fingers/hand).
  • golddog1golddog1 Member Posts: 20
    That was my big question when pricing the two vans. Checked out both and determined there is no difference to warrant the $2,300 difference. Hyundai dealer explained that the Entourage is tuned for a better ride and has tighter panel gaps. The later I do not believe one bit since they are manufactured at the same facility. Except for the gauge cluster, which is green lit in the Sedona and electroluminated in the Entourage I cannot see anything else to warrant this price difference.
  • hrngffcrhrngffcr Member Posts: 90
    It may not make a difference to you, but it has been pretty well established, based on discussions in different forums, and my conversation with a Hyundai rep at auto show, that the two vans are manufactured at same plant, but on two different lines, with different manufacturing processes. There are some who have indicated that the Entourage may have more insulation, sound deadening, better paint processes, etc. Is that worth the difference in price? I'm trying to make the same decision myself. Between the preference for the Entourage looks and the different manufacturing processes--maybe. It will definitely be a negotiating point.
  • caseybeacaseybea Member Posts: 15
    I don't place a huge amount of faith in things said by representatives at dealers or auto shows. While it may indeed be true, it's not something that can be easily proved. I place more value on hard documentation, printed lists of feature sets, and such. While it certainly may be true that there's those slight improvements listed above, I don't personally believe it's worth two thousand dollars plus. These vans are basically the same- with the same 100K powertrain warranty, which is the absolute biggest selling point for me.

In four years, when I have 80,000 miles on this beast, my only real concern is how to handle a transmission or water pump that failed, and I won't really care about esoteric differences in "paint process". To be honest, since about 1990, not a single vehicle I have owned has ever shown any signs of rust at all.....

However-- I am certainly going to give the Entourage a chance- I have a hard quote for my new Sedona- I'm going to chat with the Hyundai dude today and ask him to make it worthwhile to buy HIS car.. :-)

My main opinion on this overall: Whether it's Sedona or Entourage, both are in my opinion really great vans that are priced aggressively, and come with fantastic warranty support. I'm looking forward to owning one, whichever one it turns out to be.
    Test drove a Sedona yesterday. While out on the drive,without a salesman, of course, we stopped at Hyundai dealer to get closer comparison. The leather in the Entourage seemed a little softer and nicer, and the faux wood on center instrument console seems a little nicer looking. But hard plastic interior surfaces of Sedona the same on Entourage (that is, except possibly for quality of leather and faux wood, interior materials appear to be the same). I asked the Hyundai dealer to tell me, as a person who would have to sell Entourages, what the differences were, other than cosmetic, and why I should buy the Entourage at a $2,000 higher sticker price. He was honest and said he really could not see any differences or compelling reason to buy the Hyundai Entourage over the Kia Sedona. He said the same was not true for any of the other Hyundai models compared to the equivalent Kia models.
    I did not test drive the Entourage, but did drive the Sedona. I agree with you, I am not sure that I would spend $2K more for slightly nicer leather, more chrome, and a few differences here and there. The only consideration (in my case) is that I would much prefer to deal with my local Hyundai dealers vs Kia. I was very unimpressed with the two local Kia dealers I emailed and the one that I visited. There are also more Hyundai dealers in my area which helps if there are warranty issues.

But, $2K is still $2K..

Out of curiosity, have you driven the Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey yet? I would like to hear your impression of these vans compared to the Kia. I started out almost planning to buy a Toyota but me and my wife liked the Odyssey the best out of all the vans we drove. I liked the Kia as well, and there is no denying the value of the Kia. With the latest IIHS safety scores the Kia is even more desirable.

I really like what Hyundai/Kia are doing and time will tell if they are going to really challenge the Japanese.
    I have not driven either. We will buy a fully loaded minivan when we buy, because we will keep it for a number of years, so we want to be able to enjoy it. I think being fully loaded also helps when it does come time to sell. A fully loaded Sienna is just way too expensive for the vehicle you get in comparison to the Kia and Hyundai. I mean, sure, a lot of people will tell you what a wonderful vehicle it is, and what a great reputation Toyota has--and I have no doubt it is and does. But not enough better to justify thousands (much more than $2K) more over the Kia and Hyundai, based on their features and everything I have read over the past year or more about the quality of the current generation of their vehicles. Pretty much the same is true for the Odyssey (although I have some feature problems with it--memory seats only control the seats, the third row windows no longer open, and front headroom with a sunroof is much less than the Kia and Entourage). The only "advantage" the Sienna and Odyssey had is that they have nav system options. But that is not really an advantage any more as I can get an aftermarket 2-DIN, in dash nav with just the features and quality I want rather than what the factory chooses to install (including back up camera and iPod connectivity).
    Looked at both the Kia and the Hyundai this weekend. I honestly couldn't tell any real noticeable difference in handling or driving, they were both very smooth and very quiet. The main differences seem to be all cosmetic that I saw. The Hyundai (limited, all the goodies) was $33k+, and it has a different front/rear bumper and lights (I like it better than Kia, but its just personal taste). It also has the extra chrome trim, a slitghtly different rear upper brake light, different rims, more chrome in some interior spots, nicer looking faux wood (and the option of the faux metallic trim), and a different gauge cluster. Everything else seemed identical to Sedona EX with Power, Luxury, Entertainment packages. The kia was $31k+, but my local dealer decided it needed $1200 worth of clear-coat and scotch guard and another $1500 "market adjustment" bringing it up to $33k also. I would still assume more wiggle room on the kia, but based on dealer experience alone and the fact that I liked the looks more of the Hyundai inside and out, I would probably lean towards it.

Has anyone seen the Kia Olive Gray and the Hyundai Green Meadow Gray - are they the same?? I hope so.

Lastly, feature wise the Odyssey really needs the Touring package which puts it over the top price wise. The Sienna XLE Pkg 7 seems the closest fit, and at MSRP it is also quite a bit more - but they are discounting/rebating pretty heavily these days it seems, pushing them down well below the Hyundai's MSRP for sure, and not far from the Kia's. A local quote I got as well as carsdirect confirmed this - and makes my decision even that much more complicated!
    You sure about that Honda price? Two weeks I got quoted 32,800 for a Odyssey Touring model (that price included freight, did not include TT&L). Although that model did not have RES or NAV (I prefer aftermarket options).

Also, it seems like you should be able to get the Hyundai/Kia dealers to deal. The completely loaded Entourage Limited models in my area are going for about $30,500 (including freight) which is about $1K below invoice. The invoice on a loaded 06 Sedona (EX w/luxury/premium entertainment/power pkg)is $28,895, and Kia has incentives too (2K competitive bonus +1K + 3.9% financing through Kia Fianance). I think you should be able to pickup a loaded Sedona for $26-28K easily (including freight, before TT&L and dealer fees). Those fees your dealer added on are a joke, you should not pay them. For $33K you can get a loaded Odyssey or Sienna, and you will be overpaying on the Kia/Hyundai. The minute you drove that loaded 06 Sedona off the lot, it will probably be worth about $23K...
    I honestly hadn't gotten to the negotiating part with the Odyssey Touring, so that sounds OK. I wasn't aware the Touring came without the RES? The quote I got on the Sienna XLE#7 (has RES) was $31,500 range incl frieght (+ttl). I've seen 2 different invoice prices for the Sedona, one of which is the 28,895 you mention and the other is more like 29,700 (carsdirect), not sure which is right.

Either way you are right, you should be able to get the Sedona around $28-29k (or less if you qualify for the competitive rebate) and the Entourage $31 or less. My point related to the Sienna was just that at $31,500 with RES it isn't That far out of the Entourage range, to me at least.
    According to Edmunds, the 28,895 price is correct. I am glad to hear that you are not planning on spending 33K on the Kia Sedona when you can get the same van for much less...

That is a good price on the Sienna, I advise you to drive them back to back and decide which van is best for you..
    Um, no. Never considered $33k for Sedona. I actually let a little laugh slip out when the dealer tried to explain the "protection package" and "market value adjustment" markups. Of course, the only thing even more humorous was the hyundai dealer stumbling thru a very unprepared explantation of the Entrouage price premium over sedona. Wonder why carprices.com is so different on the sedona invoice, kbb agrees with edmunds.
    Dealers have tried to pull the "market value adjustemt" on me a few times on a new model.. What a joke..

Perhaps the carprices.com price added the tow package or something else to the invoice price.

Glad to hear that you are an informed buyer. I wonder how many people fall for the good ole "protection package" scam.
  • estoesto Member Posts: 136
    Wonder why carprices.com is so different on the sedona invoice, kbb agrees with edmunds.

Could it be the dealer advertising fee?
  • leon111leon111 Member Posts: 5
    Excellent analysis :shades: - Having done mucho research on these vans and current and resale prices - I totally agree.
  • tydupreetydupree Member Posts: 1
    FYI,

The Sedona being sold by KIA was actually designed by Hyundai. Ten years ago when KIA wasn't doing well in the market, Hyundai sold its right to this Minivan to KIA. Now that KIA is doing well, Hyundai took back the rights. Hence, they couldn't very well design the same Minivan they did for KIA, hence the entourage was born. They had to make it bigger and better than the sedona. But since they are the ones who designed the KIA sedona, I can see why there are so many similarities. I myself have been waiting for Hyundai to bring the Entourage to the states for years. It has been sold in Germany for some time now. I will be making my purchase of the Entourage, Ltd edition within the next 2 weeks if not sooner.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    They had to make it bigger and better than the sedona.

:confuse: It's the same van, with some trim differences. It certainly isn't any bigger.
  • carfaxcarfax Member Posts: 43
    You buy what you want, but the main components of the two vehicles are exactly the same with some trim difference. One will not be any better then the other.
    I agree with you... One factor to consider is dealerships.. In my area (Northern VA) there are more Hyundai dealers, and I have found them to be a little more on top of things than the local Kia dealers..
    That is the same thing I heard from the Hyundai rep at the car show. She also explained that it was that licensing of rights back and forth that had something to do with the on-off-on plans to produce the Entourage. I didn't really fully understand her explanation. Does your information source include the relationship between the sale of rights to Kia and the on again-off again decision to put the Entourage into production?
  • shopcomputershopcomputer Member Posts: 1
    Dealership does make a difference. I visited 2 Kia dealerships First was very nasty and arrogent, second was very nice. Hyundai dealership was very nice, very professional salesmen. I still can not make up my mind between the Sedona EX with the Luxury package and the Enterouge limited. The Sedona is approx. 2k cheaper due to the competitor model 2K rebate. The Sedona with Lux package inc. the power sunroof, backup assist, etc. only included with the ultimate package at Hyundai. Hyundai has 07, resale value and more good dealerships to their advantage.
  • carfaxcarfax Member Posts: 43
    I agree that dealerships make the difference. You only deal with the salesman for a day or two when you purchase the vehicle, so to me he or she is only the go between the sales manager and you to make the deal. If you come across a nasty one, then walk across the room to another salesman and talk to him about the vehicle you are interested in. You will get his and the sales managers attention real quick and if you make the deal and asked why you switched, make sure you let them know how you felt about the attitude of the other salesman.

The 07 year may be the only one that you can use Hyundai and Kia dealers against each other on price. By telling them the vehicles are the same and for and the price difference you are going to shop around will help. Hyundai didn't want to bring the Entourage out on the market as the twin sister of the Sedona. The poor sales of the big two and the jump in the Sedona sales has forced them into it. In the next year or two the Entourage will probably change a lot from the Sedona.

Always get the salesman to introduce you to the service department and manager, because they are the people you deal with for the next ten years on warranty, not two or three days for the purchase. They are two different departments and one has very little to do with the other. :)
    In the next year or two the Entourage will probably change a lot from the Sedona.

How? I mean they could add a nav system (which apparently is already in the works for the end of the year) with back up camera, put some chrome around the windows maybe, give it a telescoping steering wheel, and . . . . what else can they do within year or two to substantially differentiate the Entourage from a fully loaded Sedona? An article I read said they didn't do stow and go because their research showed that most who had it didn't use it, so that wouldn't seem probable. I don't know that too many people buying a minivan want a 300 hp engine. More cosmetic changes?
  • brutusthewhalebrutusthewhale Member Posts: 9
    Just finished reading the string of 231 messages in this forum. Also just tested all minivans today: Ody, Sienna, MPV, Quest, Sedona, Entourage. Ody presented with good motoring potential but was noisier and transmission harder than that of the Entourage (but Ody is spacier as 4x8 plywood sheets fit perfectly). Sienna was my biggest disappointment :( : engine was much too lazy and the look remains a little bit too conservative (the back of my brain recognized the Toyota ambiance that I felt in my 1980 Tercel...but finish is impeccably japanese and reliability is unquestionable). Quest was extremely interesting but if a prize would be awarded for worst driver seat conception the Quest would win indisputedly! :sick: (great overall package though and refreshingly different from all others). Finally Entourage clearly charmed me by its "firm smoothness" and mechanical maturity. It also felt to me that it was quieter than all of its competitors. Acceleration is amazing but excellent torque at low speed was most pleasurable (I felt a clear difference between the Ody and the Entourage in favor of the latter but this might only be a non-Minivan user bias). Shiftronic is also fun for a manual driver like I am but certainly not a deal breaker factor.

I should admit I am deeply puzzled because I have been a Japanese-car driver for 25 years and would naturally jump eyes closed on a Toyota or Honda model without asking questions but the Entourage seemed so more superior to all others during my test drives that I developed the Mini-wheat complex: should I listen to my senses and not hesitate to buy Korean (no previous data on this model...) or follow the beaten paths of the Japanese? Any thoughts on this?

(as for the Sedona/Entourage choice, I favor the latter as buying a 2007 model makes more resale sense plus the small bonuses like best anti-rust protection - with all the calcium they spread on the Canadian roads it's certainly an important factor to consider when buying)
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    if you like the vehicle, then go for it. i would chose between ody and entourage.
  • brutusthewhalebrutusthewhale Member Posts: 9
    Thanks wolverinejoe80. Immediately after I tested the Entourage I ran just across the street to the Honda dealer and tested the Ody. Although I'm a Honda/Toyota fan, I was actually surprised to find out that the Entourage provided a much smoother/powerful ride than the Ody for a few $K less. If I get another nudge like the one you just gave me I'm going to give Hyundai a chance no later than next week... :)
    There are two big factors I would recommend you consider as well between the Entourage/Odyssey/Sienna:
    - Reliability. Having been a Honda/Toyota fan you obviously know this, but these two are consistently at the top of the pack with regards to overall reliability. Hyundai has made progress, but the Entourage is a completely new model and nobody knows the reliability yet. The 5/60 basic and 10/100 powertrain warranty on the Entourage definitely helps, but I would prefer a more reliable vehicle to a vehicle with a better warranty anyday. Overall, I would say the Sienna would be the most reliable followed very closely by the Odyssey. The verdict is obviously out on the Entourage and time will tell.

- Resale. In my case, I tend to only keep my vehicles 4-6 years (sometimes as little as 3), so it is important that a vehicle I buy has good resale value. If you plan on keeping the vehicle 8-10 years then this is not as big an issue, but if not you should consider this factor. The Odyssey retains its value the best of any minivan, and historically speaking, Hyundai vehicles depreciate pretty fast. Perhaps the Entourage will help to reverse this trend, but it was a pretty big factor for me.

Obviously the Entourage represents a great value for the money and you already like its performance/handling/ride. Honestly, I do not think you can go wrong with any of the above minivans, but when you are dropping close to $30K (when you consider the cost of the vehicle, dealer fees, and TT&L) you need to consider everything.

Good luck!
  • jdsharcjdsharc Member Posts: 3
    I just saw one today for the first time at a local dealer.
    Looks like a pretty good value for the $$ - especially when compared to the Ody and Sienna.
    Might wait this out to see about resale - if I can get a used one for a lot less, might be worth it.
  • aaaedgarpoeaaaedgarpoe Member Posts: 107
    iihs.org and informedforlife.org

So far my Entourage has been 100%. You can say this is a new completely designed vehicle; tell me why my serial number is over 16,000 and mine was in the dealership's first batch of Entourages they got (they are in Southern CA). So if you buy one, they have already made over 10,000.
  • jdsharcjdsharc Member Posts: 3
    Got to tell you, the Entourage presents much nicer than the Kia. I wouldn't have even thought they were based on the same vehicle if I'd not read it here.
    Hyundai wins hands down in the appearance category - somehow seemed bigger too.
  • schmidtjschmidtj Member Posts: 5
    On the Odyssey vs. Entourage: I have not driven either, but from what I hear the two both have their own pros. Yes Honda is known for it's resale and reliablity, but if I remember correctly (and I may be wrong) there have been numerous recalls on recent Hondas. The Entourage is new, so reliablity is yet to be found out, both recent Hyundai have done well. Resale is not as good on the Hyundai, but they are coming up. But if you will keep int for a number of years, it's nothing to worry about. The long warrenty helps. Also of interest, the IIHS and gov. safety programs have rated the Kia/Hyundai 's the safest minivans on the road today, beating the Toyota, and even Honda. Something to think about...
  • LDegrelleLDegrelle Member Posts: 74
    To start with, I am a guy who runs cars into ground, but I realize that resale value can have an impact. But be realistic - that 2006 Honda Odyssey may very well be $9k in 6 years. How much do you think the equivalent equipped Hyundai would be - prob a few thousand less.

BUT you paid a few thousand less for the Hyundai to begin with (if not more). So it all averages out. Paying more up front so you get more back down the line sounds a lot like the people who get back a ton of money at tax time - yet they could have had that all along during the year. Just a matter of perspective.
    If you compare 02 model years, a Kia Sedona EX with leather and 130K miles is worth $7200 (private party), and an 02 Honda Odyssey EX with leather and 130K miles is worth about $11900 (private party) according to KBB. That is a difference of $4700. Your right, in the end it may equal out but the point is would you rather drive a Honda or a Kia for nine years if they equal out in the end?

In addition, the majority of Americans do not keep their vehicles for 130K miles and nine years. In my area a 2-3 year old low mileage Honda Odyssey is only about 3-4K less than a brand new one. A 2-3 year old Kia Sedona is significantly cheaper than a new one. In short, folks could get burned on resale/trade-in if they decide to get rid of their Kia in 2-3 years.
    I think one thing everybody is forgetting here is that the 2006 Sedona is not a 2002; it's not even a 2005. From every review, car writer, news story, etc that I have read, the current generation of Kias and Hyundais, including the Sedona and Entourage, bear no resemblance to the 1990 and early 2000 versions of their vehicles. And I have noticed that since the new Sedona and Entourage have been out, and I'm sure quite a few sold so far, there has been nothing in all of the forums about any problems generally, and certainly no common problems that several owners have complained about. You can't even say that about the current Odyssey when it first went on sale (windshield noise, noisy power side doors, and no screen over the lower air dam to stop rocks from damaging the radiator are three recurring problems that come to mind most readily).

I think you have to factor in that with the tremendous increase in quality, with the continuing attention to value, and with Kia/Hyundai committed to being the number five car manufacturer in the world by about 2009 or 2010, that word is going to get out about the quality, maybe slowly, and that in five years or so, when you get ready to trade that 2006 Sedona in, the resale value of Kias and Hyundais will have increased substantially over what it has been in the past.

In other words, with the current progress of Kias and Hyundais, quit living in the past and look to the future.
    I totally agree with you. The 2006 Sedona is head and shoulders above the previous generation and it is clear to me that Kia/Hyundai are gunning for Toyota/Honda.

I really liked the 06 Sedona that I drove, and quite possibly may like the Hyundai even more. I think that resale value and long term reliability will improve over time, but time will tell.

My next minivan could easily be a Kia/Hyundai model, and I think anyone who can pickup a loaded Kia/Hyundai for $24-25K is getting a tremendous deal. If I would have qualified for either of the $2K rebates on the Kia back in April, I would have had an even harder decision...
  • andrewahillandrewahill Member Posts: 1
    I am considering the Entourage and the Odyssey (as well as the Honda Pilot and Toyota Rav4--the Sienna just does not do enough for the price). I just want to comment on Hyundai's quality.

It is certainly true that Toyota and Honda have been quality benchmarks for a long, long time. But it's also true that they were not always perceived that way. They earned that distinction (just as American manufacturers lost their reputations for quality through their bungling in the 70's and 80's). Hyundai does not connote quality in the same way that Toyota does, but it's interesting to see how Hyundai has been shooting up the JD Power survey rankings in recent years. They are clearly serious about becoming a quality leader, and the recent JDP initial quality survey (IQS) suggests they are succeeding: "Hyundai ranks among the top three nameplates in the study for the first time in the history of IQS. Highlights
    include a top ranking for the Hyundai Tucson in the compact multi-activity vehicle (MAV) segment, and topthree
    segment performances for the redesigned Sonata and all-new Azera, as well as the Elantra and Tiburon." Now, I do not work in the auto industry, but as an outside observer, it seems that Hyundai is following the same script that Honda and Toyota pursued to their current positions. I suspect that buying a Hyundai now is a pretty good proposition from a quality standpoint, and you are able to do so at a much lower cost than buying from comparable Japanese manufacturers.
  • golddog1golddog1 Member Posts: 20
    I believe the quality perception of both Toyota and Honda are overblown (look at the new Camry transmission problems and the Avalons issues). I currently own a 2004 Sienna and quality has been marginal. Sunroof rattle, numerous squeaks, 2 recalls, trim issues (missing screws in interior and exterior wheel wells)liftgate drops in cold weather etc... Hondas have also had their share of problem with the Odyssey. I will definitely consider the Entourage for our next van and feel their quality has definitely improved.
  • mechanic80mechanic80 Member Posts: 122
    The only recurring issue that I've read about on the HyunKIA minivan is that drivers above 6'3" are often too crampt in the driver's seat and wish there was an additional 2" of seat track movement. Oh, and the occasional TPMS sensor error. Engine, Trans, drivetrain, build quality....all major issues are apparently near flawless.
  • bruceincanadabruceincanada Member Posts: 1
    Conventional wisdom says not to buy a car in its first model year. Since Hyundai owns Kia and Kia has been selling the Sedona (the same car as the Entourage) for a year now, would it be fair to say that the Hyundai has learned from the Kia experience and that the Entourage is not really in its first model year.
    I would feel better buying a 2007 Sedona (the second model year) but am I getting just as good car with the 2007 Entourage?
  • pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
    YOU MENTION THE TPMS ERROR, can you explain?
  • hlphlp Member Posts: 2
    According to the dealer in San Diego, the Entourage has been on the market for 3 yrs. The Korean companies do not roll out their cars to the US first but try them at home and in other markets. If that is true, your concerns about this being an untested model are moot.........they've had 3 yrs to work out any bugs.

I've ridden in my friend's 3 yr old Sienna and before it had 20,000 miles on it, the thing developed all kinds of squeaks and squacks, not to mention the recalls for the fuel tank exploding and then seat belts not tensioning, plus the rear tires wore strangely due to poor alignment and the CD player went kapootz. Contrast that $30,000 plus car w/ our fleet vehicle - cheapest Dodge Caravan they make and it's amazing! I'm not fond of Dodge due to comfort but this car has over 77,000 miles on it and zero trouble. My friends Sienna, same yr but 30,000 miles less, isn't going to hold up as well at the same mileage.

Another friend has a newer top of the line Odyssey and the MPG has been most disappointing -- only 16 in town, where most minivan families do their driving -- might as well get a crew cab truck and use diesel! Seems that Honda & Toyota's quality has been hyped and that really, nowadays, unless you get a lemon, any brand should easily take you 100,000 miles.
  • gwinvangwinvan Member Posts: 1
    I also had a problem with TPMS - in the cold weather it seemed to malfunction. Pressure was fine when I checked it (on all tires) manually. I've also had a problem with one of the sliding doors that occasionally doesn't want to latch closed. Gas mileage is just awful, but other than those 3 minor annoyances, the vehicle has been great. At 5'11" the driver's seat is just right for me - I wouldn't want to be any taller as I have it maxxed out.
  • pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
    There are several cosmetic features the Entourage has the Sedona does not that attracted my wife and I. Chrome handles, spoiler with much larger 3rd brake light and a better looking grill. The only issues we have had are the same, gas consumption, driver side sliding door that refused to latch several times( corrected by dealer with minor adjustment ) and the TPMS issue from time to time. Overall a great Van.
    Let me add to the other posters about my TPMS malfunction light coming on in my 2+ week old Entourage. Tire pressure is good, and no other cause that I can think of based on info in manual. Dealer said he would put vehicle on computer (had to update his computer for Entourage). Also have had one sliding door not want to latch occasionally. Other than those two minor problems, love the vehicle. Have put 1,500 miles on in about two weeks and have had no other issues. It's been a great road car.
    Went back to the dealer today. He said that he was getting a code for the left front wheel (tire pressure is fine, so it is not the tire). But he said when he attempted to find, I believe, the receptor for the signal from the wheel transmitter, he could not find it where the Hyundai service guides said it was supposed to be. He said the Hyundai TPMS system is fairly new, and he has not had experience with it yet. He said he has a tech going to Hyundai training tomorrow and he instructed the tech to ask about the TPMS code he is getting and call him back during the day with the help from Hyundai (they were closed today for the holiday).
  • burnieburnie Member Posts: 10
    I ve had nothing but problems with my 2007 Entourage that I got 2 days before Christmas...I would have taken Coal instead..I m 8 months pregnant and I am living at Planet Hyundai In Las Vegas...The shimmy they thought was tires or alignment ...has now gotten to replacing the axle ...Still Shimmies at 50+..I m going to dealership again...My time and aggrevation.I would rather be getting the nursery ready, but I need a reliable vehicle to get to the hospital and home with a newborn....HYUNDAI doesnt cut it....Pay the extra $$ and buy Toyota or Honda... :lemon: