Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5: Recalls

2»

Comments

• hkeoghhkeogh Member Posts: 14
    http://www.yourlemonlawrights.com/state_laws/georgia.htm

Essentially, the dealership has 30 days to repair your vehicle
    and if not the dealership must provide you with a vehicle or
    equal or greater value or a refund (the option is the consumers
    unless it is a lease, in which case it is the dealership's).

I have a strong suspician that this one will exceed 30 days
    folks.

As for greedy salesmen from the prior posting, I am not posting
    all the details primarily beceause I am negotiating a satisfactory
    response from Mazda USA.
  • smariasmaria Member Posts: 279
    I have a strong suspician that this one will exceed 30 days
    folks.

I hope that you're wrong...we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm still optimistic about it: MazdaUSA has most likely overestimated the time frame, so that we'll all be happy when we get our cars back early. I'm hoping for 2-3 weeks. No use talking about lemon laws now when it's only been a few days.
  • flyonthewallflyonthewall Member Posts: 41
    "(nevermind the lack of an AUX jack for an external music player...they have a TAPE DECK option? What is this, 1982?)..." "I was willing to live without the missing AUX jack (which I did inquire about)..."

For $50 you can order an after market aux jack that plugs directly into a circuit board on your head unit. Look here: http://www.sylfex.com/products/AuxMod/
  • mkatmkat Member Posts: 8
    I purchased the car on 8/30/05 and had nothing but fun with it. A service manager called yesterday to inform me of the recall and urged me to bring in the car asap. He gave me all the basic info about the exhaust problem and the possibility of the car catching on fire. :surprise: The car is to be at the dealer for 30 days. They had a brand new 05 MPV all set to go w/ just 10 mls. I'm not a huge fan of mini vans, but hey, if they can correct the problem w/ the Mazda5, that's what matters the most. I love the Mazda5 and am grateful to have found a dealer that is so far been pleasant to work with. :D
  • bypasskidbypasskid Member Posts: 57
    Just got off the phone with mazda USA
    they told me that the dealer does not have to give the MPV as a substitute,
    and the rep did not know anything about $1500 + $50 a day, is that a fact or are they keeping it a secret?

anyone bought the car on LI?
  • thisisamericathisisamerica Member Posts: 25
    Hi,

We bought the car in LI too. And we got a small Pontiac car first and requested to change to the minivan yesterday. The dealer was really mean to give us a worse car than 5 at first without asking.
  • pir8mattpir8matt Member Posts: 45
    I saw that Auxmod thing, but it looks like some ITT tech students weekend project. I would rather have something made by the dealer or an actual electronics company. That thing looks like it was made in a garage.

And Im not entirely opposed to that either, except what happens when the guy who makes them decides to stop, y'know?
  • thisisamericathisisamerica Member Posts: 25
    bypasskid: it's in suffolk county I got the Mazda from. What car are u getting after turning the 5?
    I got a Buick Rendevouz, who buys those things I don't know, might as well be driving a tank (at least the same fuel economy).
    I read this to mean Mazda has informed NHTSA (after all it is a safety issue) and in due time I'll be hearing from NHTSA.

The Mazda5 recall is now listed on the NHTSA website. So, Mazda has certaintly informed NHTSA. Recalls are no fun, but I'm happy with how Mazda's handling the recall.
  • mandate2servemandate2serve Member Posts: 14
    Steve,
    Thank you for the information. I registered and still no email letter. The owners page has a tab for recalls - but it says there are none at this time. Would it be too much trouble for someone who got the letter to post it or tell me what post # if it has already been posted.
    Thanks to everyone for all the help and information - this is the only place I have been given information and it is greatly appreciated.
    I sure hope they can fix our 5's soon. I have raised the kids and graduated from the mini-van stage of life and my 5 made me feel 20 years younger!!!!!!! It will be hard to let it go today.
    Plus, it has turned a bunch of heads!!!!!
    Thanks,
    Shari
    Thanks Steve for the letter!!!!

I just got back from my dealer (they have sold 7 so far) and I am very pleased with how I was treated. They put me in a new MPV (I do like it) that had 12 miles on it. They assured me the car will be in a locked fenced lot with security camera's, etc. I was apprehensive about leaving the license plate on for that long unless the car would be secure.
    My impression is the dealership either: 1) Knows as much or less than we do or,
    2) I would not want to play poker with these guys!!!!!!
    In the back of my mind, I can't help but wonder if once they get them off the road if they won't be doing some sort of buyback - but I do have an imagination for the worst case senerio!!!!!
    Here is hoping that we will all be the center of attention driving our new 5's again soon!
    Best,
    Shari
    Shari,

I really don't think we have to worry about buybacks, as it was mentioned previously the recall is due to a minor (not mechanical) flaw, that will simply take some time to get fixed. I wouldn't know what to drive otherwise if that happened.
    Bypasskid,
    I obviously don't think it is likely either, or I would be talking about what now. Notice my words were speculative........ wonder, imagination, worst case senerio..........

However, isn't the exhaust system sometimes mechanical?? Is there information that states it is not mechanical? Mechanical vs cosmetic vs___________ (what) am I missing?

BTW - just went to the mailbox and I got the exact letter Steve posted in the snail mail!
    I am really glad to know I am dealing with a company that is proactive!

Thanks,
    Shari
  • isda65isda65 Member Posts: 74
    I wouldn't call this a "minor flaw". This is a dangerous flaw that could lead to fire. Not mechanical but still a major problem. Otherwise, Mazda wouldn't have reacted this way.
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    Was at my dealer for service on my MZ3. While waiting I asked a salesperson I was interested in the Mazda5. He told me they were in very very limited production and won't be able to get any till the end of Oct. and did not have any on the lot for sale. I didn't expect the salesperson to say they all have been recalled. If I owned one I don't think I would feel comfortable driving one even after the fix, the fire problem would be on my mind all the time, but thats just me.
    If I owned one I don't think I would feel comfortable driving one even after the fix, the fire problem would be on my mind all the time, but thats just me.

Based on the way that Mazda has been handling the recall (making sure to get all Mazda5's off of the road, taking the time to fix it right, giving loaner vehicles to everyone) I'm pretty confident that Mazda will fix it right. Once I get my car back, I won't be worrying about the fire problem at all.
  • driverinvadriverinva Member Posts: 14
    I had received the e-mail letter last Saturday, the 17th, the day after the dealer called me. I didn't sign up online, but I believe I gave the dealer my e-mail address when buying the car (as I gave him my home address and phone number), so I think my dealer must have passed it on to Mazda USA. I also received a hard copy version of the letter in the mail yesterday, so you may get one, too, even if you haven't received the e-mail version or a phone call from your dealer.

I must say I'm very happy that I bought from my particular dealer. I live in the No. VA/DC area and shopped at three Mazda dealerships and the dealer where I bought the car never pressured me, let me test drive the car a few times, where I wanted to take it, and gave me a really good feeling. They matched the price of one of the other dealers (who had a blue one on the lot) for the Mazda5 Touring model and then went to PA to get a red one for me.

Now, that the recall has taken place, they've been great. They called me last Friday and gave me as much info as they knew on it. (Which according to this board, it seems like they knew as much as Mazda was releasing.) Then when I took my 5 in on Saturday, they had a clean, brand new MPV with 25 miles on it ready and waiting for us. It didn't take more than 10 minutes to move our things into the MPV and take off. I wish that everyone out there had a dealer as professional and accommodating as this one.

As for wanting to return the Mazda5 if I could... NEVER! I love this car already. It's so fun to drive. I especially love the tight turning radius. It's so easy to park and here in NoVA, the parking slots are very narrow (as compared to FL and CA anyway). I don't like not having the car, but I'd rather they fix the issue now, and it hasn't been inconvenient having the MPV... just a little less fun!
  • flyonthewallflyonthewall Member Posts: 41
    "If I owned one I don't think I would feel comfortable driving one even after the fix, the fire problem would be on my mind all the time, but thats just me."

Hope your Mazda3 is not a 2004 or 2005. Both have had recalls for front airbag problems. http://www.recall-warnings.com/auto-category-V.MAZDA.MAZDA3.html

Before buying my 5, I was looking at 2002 Honda CRVs. But alas they've had 5 recalls! It seems most vehicles are recalled. Many are recalled multiple times.
    http://www.recall-warnings.com/category-cat_autos.htm Of course fire is a particularly exciting reason for a recall.
    As requested, here's the full text of my email from Mazda:

September 16, 2005

Dear STEVEN,

When you took delivery of your 2006 MAZDA5, we made a commitment to you to stand behind the quality and safety of your new vehicle. It has recently come to our attention that the exhaust system of your vehicle could have a safety-related problem that may cause a fire.

Although no one has been injured to date, your safety is our highest priority. We ask you to immediately contact your local Mazda service department so they can make the necessary repairs. We have also asked your selling dealer to contact you directly.

Based on parts availability, it could take as long as one month to repair your MAZDA5. We recognize how inconvenient this is, so we have instructed our Mazda dealers and their service managers to arrange a rental or loaner vehicle for you when you arrive at the dealership. There will be no cost to you.

If for any reason you do not want to drive your MAZDA5 to the dealership, you may contact Mazda's 24-hour roadside assistance service at 800-866-1998 and have the vehicle picked up and delivered to the dealership. Again, the dealership will
    arrange a rental or loaner vehicle.

We sent you this letter before the official recall notification, which you'll
    receive soon, because we wanted you to have the opportunity to begin the repair
    process on your MAZDA5 as soon as possible.

The MAZDA5 is the most talked-about new vehicle in our lineup and one that has
    generated some of the best word-of-mouth sales we've ever seen. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience we've caused and for interrupting the enjoyment and driving pleasure of your new MAZDA5.

Should you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to call our Customer
    Assistance Center at 1-800-222-5500.

Sincerely,

Robert T. Davis
    Senior Vice President
    Quality, Research and Development
  • dcdingodcdingo Member Posts: 21
    I've gotten two notices of the sliding door latch recall in the past two weeks. The second was on an orange card berating me for not responding to the previous week's notice. I hope Canadian owners, who first noticed the problem in freezing conditions, are getting as much attention.
  • athenasiusathenasius Member Posts: 118
    Does anyone know when the warranty date expires on the ones that were recalled. I remember they said it was reset to December but can not remember if it will expire on Dec 1 or the last day in Dec.
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    My letter says: It has been reset as starting Dec 1, 2005 ending Dec 1, 2009. 4yrs or 50K miles
  • athenasiusathenasius Member Posts: 118
    interesting as in canada we only got ours extended till 2008.
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    Now that you mention it, in the US the 2006 Mazda5 was the first and last model that came with a 4yr warranty. The 2007s and beyond come a 3yr warranty.
This discussion has been closed.