Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Suspension

Comments

• dspiderdspider Member Posts: 9
    the handling is a little off because of the bushings and the lubrication will only last a day or two..Well all after a little down time my computer i back up ..After waiting a week I did not hear back from the G.M of the dealership so I tried calling him and of course he was not there ,after explaining to the secretary that i am tired of playing hide and seek i called Mazda Canada and they said they would look into it..2 days later i get a call from MazCan some guy saying he is handling my file and he will contact me in 24 to 48 buisness hours(3to6 days?)today monday 5th makes it 8 days . So i guess i will be calling him and he is not going to be happy when i do because i am tired of people pointing me in different directions trying to get me to go around in circles..They have got to understand i am paying for a new car but what i am getting seems like a defective reject and i will not give up or go away until they give me positive results..The game goes on --for now. ;)
  • trishr1trishr1 Member Posts: 75
    I am sorry to hear that you haven't really gotten anywhere as yet.
    I am in the same boat as I have talked to Mazda Canada - was assured that something would be done through my dealership - emailed my dealer - yes they would be replacing the parts (same as someone else had done here - control arm and stabilizer bar etc.) - called to make an appointment - couldn't needed to discuss with Service Manager - emailed him - yes they would be ordering the parts (note no time frame could be next week, spring or summer)- oh yes it probably won't help much until they get the redesigned tested parts for cold climates - but they are working on it. Now that the cold weather has come back for a couple of days - the crunch, crunch is still there - at least I had a break while the weather was milder.
    I'm surprised that no one else has complained.
    Have you taken a 2007 out for a ride? I tried - they don't have any 2007 demos just a 2006 HMMMMMMmmmmmm why would that be? ;) Keep us posted.
  • dpegandpegan Member Posts: 1
    A new member has joined the fight. I have been experiencing the squeaky old bus ride for months. I went to my dealership in Hamilton armed with emails from this forum and the U.S. TSB. My dealership has been in complete denial that this is a widespread problem. At first they didn't want to fix it because it was a US TSB but I persuaded them to do the fix. After four weeks of waiting for the parts, they reluctantly fixed the van yesterday. The dealership only replaced the front control arms. They didn't replace the bushings in the rear. When we got it back, it drove like a dream. A day later with a temperature of -3C, it is squeaking again. Not sure how to deal with this. Some other Mazda5 owners I know don't seem to have this problem.
    Thanks for the email and sorry you are amongst those of us with the problem. You must have some persuasive powers to get the fix though there are others out there who have had either the lesser lube fix (with no end to the problem) to others who got redesigned (?) parts. I'm still waiting.
    It seems that not every Mazda5 has the problem if you know others who aren't complaining. Did you happen to contact Mazda Canada (email works well)? What about Transport Canada's Defect phone number - they welcome calls about defects?
  • mopaulmopaul Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem with my 5(Sport 5spd). Live in upstate NY, so there has been plenty of oportunity for this noise to drive me insane. I feel like suspension compliance is pretty harsh during cold weather as well; robably directly related to this design/mfg. problem. Thanks to the people on this message board for bringing the TSB to my attention; armed with that, I was able to get the dealer to listen and order the parts. Don't know when the parts will be available, however. I look forward to getting it fixed and/or warmer weather; It's a sweet driving car.
    I will follow up when I have more information.
    I agree that the car is very nice to drive in warm weather.
    I wonder how longer it will be before someone with a 2007 posts with the same problem. Has anyone taken a 2007 out for a ride? I noticed they had redesigned the rear of the car. Not sure if this relates to the suspension problem or not, but it may relate to another problem I had with the separation of the bumper from the body just behind the rear wheel well. Keep us posted on your success with the fix.
  • simon76simon76 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2007 Touring model that I purchased in November 2006. My car is usually parked inside a garage so the "crunchy" suspension problem never happened to me but when I go out somewhere and my car is parked outside in the cold for a long period of time, there definitely is some crunching going on when I drive. I don't drive my car much so it hasn't really been a huge annoyance to me. i'm sure once i move and have to park my car outdoors, i'll notice it a lot more.
    I am sorry to hear that the problem is also present in your 2007 vehicle. Obviously, the redesign of the rear end was not in aid of this suspension problem. :blush:
    Right now in my part of Canada, above North Dakota, the weather is 5 degrees C so I don't hear a thing and I can pretend that the problem doesn't exist - for now... ;)
  • favfav Member Posts: 3
    I have the same exact problem noise in cold weather. The dealer says they have a service buletin for this problem. I'm taking mine in on monday.... I'll update this thread with their solution.
    Not sure if you are in the lower half of North America or upper half? It would help to know if the service bulletin is from USA or Canada.
    I know there is a Transport Canada recall on the "frozen door locks/handles" and an obvious safety hazard if doors can fly open.
    Sure hope you get a solution.
    The cold weather is back here for a short period (I hope) and I keep hoping the crunching is just from ice on the roads (wishful thinking) ;)
    the dealership that mentioned there was a service bulletin is Probart Mazda in London ON Canada. They asked me if the noise was coming from the front or rear or both.

More to come on Monday......
    "the dealership that mentioned there was a service bulletin is Probart Mazda in London ON Canada"
    This is interesting - they didn't happen to quote the TSB number did they? Is your VIN within the range that will be listed on the TSB?
    I will have to check with my other car mechanic and see if he received the TSB and see if it is in fact a Canadian issued TSB? or the old USA (North American TSB # 02-007/06 - my memory may have faded on the number but I'm pretty sure that is it.
    Can hardly wait to hear on your next post. :)
  • onegoonego Member Posts: 3
    I have a '07 Mazda 5 and I am experience the same suspension problem when the car sits outside in weathers below 20 degrees. It's very annoying but it tapers off after about 15 minutes.
  • asimakosasimakos Member Posts: 1
    Saint John, NB CANADA

We have been having the crunching noise for ever. We were told it was ice and maybe we went off the road. Can you believe it?

Finally, they discovered a bushing problem and they have ordered them. The service guy said there was a recall. Why weren't we advised?

As we wait for the parts to come in, we have noticed not only the noise problem, but the swaying of the back end of the vehicle when going over a small bump. This is dangerous. I called them and left a message.

My next step is a letter. Other things also happening include outsise paneling coming loose from the snaps, and the plastic fog light inserts (don't know what they are called) have popped out twice now.

Another major problem is the engine seems to hick-up sometimes when we accelerate.

Do we have a lemon?
    My VIN number is not on the TSB. They replaced the front and rear stab bushings per the TSB anyways. The noise is gone however the temperature has since gone up where I wouldn't have noticed the noise anyways.
    We have been having the crunching noise for ever. We were told it was ice and maybe we went off the road. Can you believe it?
    YES I can believe it and I think it is deplorable conduct especially since the problem has been present since late 2005.

Finally, they discovered a bushing problem and they have ordered them. The service guy said there was a recall. Why weren't we advised?
    THERE has been no recall that Transport Canada web site has posted. Not that they issue recalls, but post them.
    There was a US TSB 02-007/06 but doubtful that Canadian vehicles fall into the currently listed VINs.

As we wait for the parts to come in, we have noticed not only the noise problem, but the swaying of the back end of the vehicle when going over a small bump. This is dangerous. I called them and left a message.

I ALSO have had left rear sway, but unless it causes you to lose control, it apparently is likely not a safety issue, though your vehicle may have a more serious issue. Can contact Transport Canada (Defects and Recalls).

My next step is a letter. YOU COULD email Mazda Canada.

Other things also happening include outsise paneling coming loose from the snaps, and the plastic fog light inserts (don't know what they are called) have popped out twice now.
    YES I had that problem - plastic clips left rear wheel well popped open, separation areas of the rear bumper form body - repaired at my expense. :surprise:

Another major problem is the engine seems to hick-up sometimes when we accelerate.
    I KNOW what you are referring to - had that as well. Mentioned on this or other forums.

Do we have a lemon? I HOPE not but we do have a Ford product. Might want to check out the web site below though you must exhaust all recommended actions described in your owners manual first. :lemon:

http://www.camvap.ca/index.htm

Keep us posted on what happens post "fix ?".
    I am expecting to take my car in soon for the "parts" control arm maybe other parts. We will see.
  • bassman1234bassman1234 Member Posts: 1
    I do love my Mazda 5 but I do have some problems:things were great until 30,000 km's. The front end squeaks when it goes below 0 degrees.I now find the suspension sloppy.The dealer said they are going to fix it.There is also a knock in the rear end, the A/C is not as cool as it should, when I store my sat radio after unplugging I have to restart the car because the CD and radio will not power up and the car has many blind spots. Aside from that the car is great but I hope this generation will not show examples of turning into a Ford.
  • riproyriproy Member Posts: 57
    At the end of November at about 6000 km, we had had enough of the very loud suspension noise in cold weather and took our 5 into Mazda. They replaced the bushings on the suspension at all four wheels and it was great for a while, even in < -20C weather. However, eventually it did return though not as harsh as the first time. In February at about 10000 km i took a Mazda service person out for a quick ride. Speed bumps made it abundantly clear that there was still an unacceptable problem, both front and back. The technician refered to it as a 'dry squeak'. I mentioned the service bulletin from Mazda regarding squeaking suspension, and he said that our vehicle was produced after Jan 27, 2006, and therefore had the upgraded parts already. After a week he got back to me and said after communicating with Mazda Canada with no answers, they would go ahead and replace the lower arms of the front suspension (L & R) and the bushings on the rear stabilizer bar. This was on March 9, 2007. The problem was not solved. Whenever the temperature drops below 0 C the problem is present over moderate imperfections in the road surface.

The dealer said they would take this problem to Mazda Canada. I did too. Ten days ago i contacted Mazda Canada to open a case file and they have been in touch to say they are aware of the problem but currently there is no fix for it. They are reportedly working on a fix, and we will be informed through our dealership when a soluction has been found.

This is not the response that i had wanted, but we have little choice at the moment other than to wait. My wife is afraid they will make us wait until our warranty expires. Now with the temps warming, i doubt that this is a top priority for drivers for another 8 or 9 months. If others have this suspension issue, i encourage you all to take the issue up the ladder. Judging from posts in this and other M5 forums, i am not alone.
    I am also sometimes experience this hick up or hesitation. It usually occurs within the first minute or 2 from when you start going. I am not sure if this is related to the cold weathers.
    trishr1,

My M5 stalled once when accelerating from a red light, is this related to the hesitation problem?
    I feel like i am in an alternate universe. I have been involved in the M5 forum under Forums - Wagons - M5, and now i find this under Forums - Vans - M5. Why are these kept seperate? Sheesh..
    Anyway, under Suspension in the other forum, there are only 2 posts. I was happy to see this forum with many more. Below is my post in that forum:

At the end of November at about 6000 km, we had had enough of the very loud suspension noise in cold weather and took our 5 into Mazda. They replaced the bushings on the suspension at all four wheels and it was great for a while, even in < -20C weather. However, eventually it did return though not as harsh as the first time. In February at about 10000 km i took a Mazda service person out for a quick ride. Speed bumps made it abundantly clear that there was still an unacceptable problem, both front and back. The technician refered to it as a 'dry squeak'. I mentioned the service bulletin from Mazda regarding squeaking suspension, and he said that our vehicle was produced after Jan 27, 2006, and therefore had the upgraded parts already. After a week he got back to me and said after communicating with Mazda Canada with no answers, they would go ahead and replace the lower arms of the front suspension (L & R) and the bushings on the rear stabilizer bar. This was on March 9, 2007. The problem was not solved. Whenever the temperature drops below 0 C the problem is present over moderate imperfections in the road surface. The dealer said they would take this problem to Mazda Canada. I did too. Ten days ago i contacted Mazda Canada to open a case file and they have been in touch to say they are aware of the problem but currently there is no fix for it. They are reportedly working on a fix, and we will be informed through our dealership when a soluction has been found. This is not the response that i had wanted, but we have little choice at the moment other than to wait. My wife is afraid they will make us wait until our warranty expires. Now with the temps warming, i doubt that this is a top priority for drivers for another 8 or 9 months. If others have this suspension issue, i encourage you all to take the issue up the ladder. Judging from posts in this and other M5 forums, i am not alone.
    After pursuing this with my dealer and Mazda Canada and talking with Transport Canada, and anyone else who would listen, I too had the same fix as you, though because the weather is nicer now, I won't really know if this fixed the problem or not.
    I would hate to think that my time, the dealer's time and expense to Mazda is all for not if nothing is resolved.
    I hope others follow your advice to speak up after all we all paid our money and got less than expected.
    It is not a new problem but obviously a tough one for them to come to grips with to detriment of their reputation and the loss of confidence of owners.
    Haven't heard from anyone with the 2007 model - would love to know if the problem exists in that model year as well.
    Not ever having a "problem" car I am not sure how this problem will be handled should it recur after the 3 year warranty, however, one would think that since you (and I) registered a complaint with Mazda Canada directly - we are on file and it would be difficult for Mazda to claim that the "defect" is a new problem that is no longer covered by warranty. Perhaps they can and others feel free to jump in with more knowledge than I might have.
    There is CAMVAP - arbitration. I haven't called them to inquiry about this problem, but you could see what they have to say - though it is an either or situation - them or court not both. And it applies to new cars.
    Hopefully no one needs to go to that length.
    There are other forums with quite a few posts about this as well - MPVclub.com (under Mazda5) for one.
  • rockyteerockytee Member Posts: 35
    Just curious....how can your posting #74 be March 24, whereas earlier postings #72 was dated March 29
    Is there something wrong with the Host computer?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I believe bassman1234's post was originally created as a separate discussion. The host moved it here so it would get more exposure.
    The good news is: The lower control arms have been replaced and the bushings.
    The maybe news is: I won't know if the cruching noise is gone for good till the winter.
    The bad news is: now I have inherited a new problem - the car pulls to the left when applying the brakes. It is a front end issue and perhaps no wheel alignment was done post lower arm control installation, or when they installed the lower control arms the did something to the brakes and the callipers need to be adjusted. :confuse:
    I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has had any other problems since having their fix applied (related to the TSB). Thanks
  • petesmazda5petesmazda5 Member Posts: 12
    I had the swaying over small bumps and turns out the left rear shock had leaked all over my driveway (which I blamed the renovators and their truck). My bushings also were replaced but now we're into spring/summer and I'll have to wait until the end of the year to see if that solved the creaking when cold. Also get the hiccup sometimes but dealer cannot recreate so have to wait and see. Does anyone get a creaking from the front windshield when cold? Almost like the frame is flexing around the window?
  • winniekingwinnieking Member Posts: 10
    I used to get a clicking with any slight bump in the road. It seemed to come from the center of the windshield where it meets the dash. Brought it in and the service tech told me he replaced some type of c-clip at the front left brake caliper. The clicking sound is gone. I had the hiccup and the dealer re-flashed the computer. Has not hiccuped since, but still has rough idle 60% of the time. Anybody else dealing with the rough idle?
  • raceymomraceymom Member Posts: 18
    I live in California and have had the same noises and problems with no freezing weather on my 2006 Mazda5. I had to have all the shocks replaced and the front end swing arm, all covered by warranty. I have 17,000 miles on the car and it now needs new tires (4/32 left). I think this is due to all the suspension problems and Mazda agrees and are buying me new tires. There are a lot of problems with this car but I have to say, every one of them have been covered by Mazda as a warranty item. :shades:
  • sofienycsofienyc Member Posts: 8
    I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem: I have four young sons, an 8 yo, twins that are 6 and a two year old of all quite normal size. The problem with our new Mazda5 is that it just bottoms out all the time. I weigh 150 and my wife about 115 total weight of the boys another 150. I would think that since this is a minivan that this would not be a problem. I only have 1600 miles on it and though I live in NYC with lots of potholes, driving like I have a cargo of loose eggs is not an option. Anyone have a suggestion? Air springs? Also, any idea about a bit more power...I got the 5sp to compensate the small engine but more hp would help dodging taxis. Also anyone upgade speakers yet? Thanks for your kind suggestions...
  • mrmcc33mrmcc33 Member Posts: 6
    2006 Mazda5 Touring - Maryland. We steadily heard in increase in the rear suspension going over bumps and even simple road imperfections. Kind of a decreasing vibration or bumping - but it was obviously not right.

Took it to the dealership and the guy was stumped. He called the hotline, did what they asked, and it still made noise over bumps. I got it today (2.5 days in the shop - not bad) and there is NO SOUND. Here's what the writeup said:

"Road test verified complaint. Verified noise from both rear coil spring area. Found L/R and R/R coil springs hitting frame near spring perches. Called Hotline: Advised to CK (?) for weld splatter above springs not allowing springs to sit properly in perches. Remove rear sway bar. Remove rear lower control arms and rear coil springs. Grind away weld splatter and excess material from spring perch and contact areas. Put back together. Reposition rubber insulator at top of spring. Lube with teflon grease. Put back together. Complete four wheel alignment. Road test: ok.

Hope this helps someone!
    I just got off the phone with Mazda Canada regarding the suspension squeak in cold weather. We had a sub-zero C morning recently where we had a reminder that our suspension problem (front and rear) was still a problem. Mazda Canada has no solution for this problem as of yet, MUCH to our disappointment.
    If you are faced with this same problem, i urge you to get in touch with Mazda and let them know that this is unacceptable. Mazda Canada's number is 1-800-263-4680 and the Customer Service rep to whom i spoke was at extension 7163.
    This is very disheartening news. I am anxiously anticipating the cold snap. I know others on various web forums who have had the "fixed" applied more than once and the problem continued. Did you have the "fix" appplied to your car?
    I met a fellow Mazda5 owner in a parking lot who complained about the suspension noise, but he was told that it was "normal" :confuse: I suggested that he call my "investigator at Mazda Canada so that the ball gets running. It's the only way that Mazda Canada will pay any attention to consumer complaints.
    Can someone tell me why there is a three time rule for the service center to attempt to repair a defective item? Why three times why not fix it right the first time? Otherwise, buy me out, or replace my vehicle.
    Off to search the forum for vibration under the brake pedal.
    Thank you for your posting. It was great to feel that *someone* was listening because Mazda Canada surely is not.
    Yes, we had a fix done in late Nov 06 and the problem returned in Feb 07 (i have written this up in earlier posts in this forum). Another good thing about this forum is that it is a good way to document your issues for future reference.
    I would like to take this up the Mazda ladder. Who would i go to next? I am thinking of calling the customer 'service' rep again and asking to speak to her manager, just to get some sort of answer other than "We have noted your issue in your file and you will be notified when there is a solution". You mentioned your "investigator" at Mazda - who might that be?
    This squeaking in cold weather is enough to drive you bonkers and we have 6 months of this weather up here! To have this problem in a new car is something i never would have imagined. Mazda needs to buck up and do something about it or they will never have repeat business from us.
    I hope you find the solution to your vibration problem.
    Cheers
    k
    I believe I did read your prior message and I may have quoted your non-fix to others in this forum or the others that I belong to.
    Winnipeg is cold too, and my problem started two months after I bought the car - could have bought the 2007 but didn't - not sure they had fixed that model year either because 2007 owners complained as well though not in large numbers. Did Mazda Canada provide you with an investigator of your own? What I did was email Mazda Canada - was logical, emphatic, and more disappointed in the denial of my service center that there was a problem (BTW they continue to deny problems exist and when they do I call my investigator- he has been quite helpful in making things happen).
    Other than emailing (written record) or letter writing, ask your Dealer for a meeting with the Mazda regional rep when he or she comes to visit the dealership. :D Ask to talk to the General Manager - put it in writing. I was tempted to wear something on my lab coat to draw people's attention to the problems with the Mazda5 (I work with 5000 people who love to know in advance about problems with cars). I know they were taking the cars up to Thompson to trial the re-designed parts. Perhaps they could just revert back to "rubber" bushings for starters in the meantime.
    It is too bad, I love the car, the roominess, the access to the back, higher speed acceleration when passing (Zoom Zoom) etc.
    I hate finding many other problems that are creeping up - vibrations, road noise, interior reverberation with the rear windows done (yikes), and worse the obvious lack of power when initially excelerating at lower speeds - something that I may take up with Transport Canada again - got an investigator there too.(Doom doom)
    One thing I would like on this web site forum, that other forums have) is the ability to privately email members. :shades:
    For all those anxiously waiting for winter - stay tuned
  • kivokivo Member Posts: 64
    I am very interested in buying a 2008 Mazda5, but this suspension noise I'm reading about annoys me. I hope it will be gone in 2008. If anyone is buying a 2008 early, please let us know if the noise is still there. Thanks.
  • chattbchattb Member Posts: 1
    Hey,
    I also have a noisy Mazda 5. I purchased this car in February 06. It has had the rear doors fixed, a new motor, 2 blown tires, the ignition has dropped out in my hand and I am going into my third set of struts and the bushings were repaired about a month ago. Mazda has told me when the warranty runs out I am out of luck with the struts. And it almost is. I will definitely phone Mazda Canada. How can something this well documented and complained about continue to not be something recalled? Where do I go? I really wish I had known about this forum before I purchased the car. BBB told me it was my problem. :mad:
    It doesn't sound like you have had a good experience with your Mazda. Makes you wonder if they really cut the corners on some cars just to get it out there. In addition to contacting Mazda Canada as you are doing, you might want to check into CAMVAP (website included below) however, CAMVAP will only act on your behalf if the dealer doesn't make things right according to your Owner's Manual (you know the three times trying to fix it then you have a case). Perhaps they should change that rule to "three things go wrong before the new warranty - they owe you a new car or your money back ;) "
    It is really hard to determine how many Mazda5s are effected since there are so many websites. My CarStats will notify you of any problems that are registered if you subscribe to their service (free to subscribe). When you look at the stats for all makes and models of cars, you come to realize that there are some other really bad car manufacturers out there and only a few provinces (plus the states' Lemon Law)that offer owners any recourse.For the amount of money people shell out for their vehicles, you would think someone would take some steps to protect people from these manufacturers? BBB is not the place - a consumer's organization might help but I think if there were many people effected perhaps some documentary program would be interested - W-five - Fifth Estate etc.
    It may be true that if you had reviewed these forums beforehand, you may not have made your purchase of this particular vehicle. I am researching other similar vehicles myself before my warranty runs out.
    I wonder why Phil Edmonston (lemon Aid for Cars) never said anything about the problems with the Mazda5. I have never been able to find any way to email him - has anyone else? :confuse:
    http://camvap.ca/
  • mrmcc33mrmcc33 Member Posts: 6
    It's back. The noise is back. Taking it to the dealership ASAP.
  • 8a1dy8a1dy Member Posts: 1
    I haven't read all the replies, but I've been having the front suspension "clunk" noise for awhile now in my '06 Mazda 5. They replaced the sway bar end links, then the control arms (TSB), then the struts.

Still made the noise, so they said they were going to do the sway bar end links again, and the lower-right control arm. But I just talked to them, and one of the technicians found a bulletin mentioning loose bolts holding the windshield wiper cowling on. He said the TSB specifically mentioned that it would be mistaken for a front suspension noise.

They said they checked the bolts, and they were loose, so they tightened them. They said the noise is gone, but I'll find out for sure when I pick up my car today.
    Ah if it were only that easy ;)

The cold weather is just arriving in Manitoba which to me means that the "crunch" is back and it's not Captain Crunch. Heard the first crunch from the left rear of my Mazda5 when I went over a big bump in the road. But I know it is back. So much for the fix though I was warned that it might be temporary.

What to do now? Hmmmmm I think I'll wait till spring and be done with it. :P
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    Still?

If it persists, you may need to move south :)

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/mazda5/docs/0010.pdf
    I have contemplated that for at least 5 months of the year maybe and become a snowbird.
    I attempted to contact my "investigator" at Mazda Canada but he has since moved out of this position, and it appears they closed my file. Why they would close it when they knew the fix they applied was only temporary until they came up with a permanent fix (if ever). Now that I have filed another complaint, hopefully, this will generate another "investigator" for my case - who knows. Also she was unable to tell me if the 2007 or 2008 models have the same problem or not, if not, then they have fixed it. Might need to take a ride in one when it gets really cold.

It was interesting that this customer rep had no idea about this problem - and perhaps she doesn't. Called the dealership and yes there is another fix for the "front" bushings, but none for the "rear" bushings - why because no one has complained to either Mazda Canada or their dealership. Sure I will get the "front" bushings done but only when I need to go back for oil change or other servicing.
    The Automobile Protection Association (Ontario) doesn't know that Mazda5 owners have had a problem with their vehicle - perhaps a quick email or call to them might help.
    In the meantime, I will crunch along - search through other manufacturers' forums and get a feel for who is having problems, but more importantly, who had problems and were satisfied with the resolve - perhaps that will be the vehicle for me.
    I believe that most cars suffer from some problems, but I also believe that there are dealerships and manufacturers who value their customers and their image more than others. :surprise:
  • lidaboblidabob Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Mazda5. With the onset of cold weather here in Minnesota, I've begun experiencing the suspension crunch. The dealer says they are aware of the TSB and I am bringing the vehicle to the service shop today. I'm eager to see what they do. From all I can tell, the U.S. TSB on this issue covers 2006 vehicles, not 2007. But my crunch is definitely there. Mine hit when the temp was about 10 degrees F. Went away after a drive of 15-20 miles. This morning it was 25 degrees, and the crunch was much reduced. For the record, I love my Mazda5 otherwise and hope this turns out to be a one-time fix.
  • c3poc3po Member Posts: 26
    I have a 2006 Mazda 5, live in the Toronto area and I do notice the crunching sound especially when cold. The 2007 model has the same problem, as I sat in one. Dealer gave me a courtesy ride in the 2007 model, when I got my oil change. I don't think Mazda has a permanent fix. I went around to some Mazda forum, according to the TSB on this problem, the fix was to put some grease around the joints. This is a tempoary fix, as you will need to grease it every so often. Poor design. I think they need to put some rubber between the metal components.
    Well I guess that ends my option to trade this vehicle in for a 2007 model.
    Wonder how the 2008 model is fairing?
    Though it would be truly a kick in the pants if the 2008 model didn't have a problem as that would mean they fixed the problem but not for our models (2006 and 2007).
    My crunch has spread from the rear to the front, so at least I will go for the front bushing replacements and wait for the rear bushing bulletin to be issued. Remember to complain otherwise they won't pay any attention to the issue.
  • lidaboblidabob Member Posts: 2
    Update on Nov. 28 post about the crunching noise on the 2007 ... The dealer replaced the lower control bars and sway bar bushings. No discussion, no haggling. I paid $0. The fix took about two hours. The mechanic showed me a TSB that listed 2006-2007 models with a range of VINs. So the question of whether some 2007 models are included in the TSB is at least partially answered. Unfortunately, I didn't get a TSB number or copy. I took delivery of my 2007 model in February 2007. If Mazda fixed the problem, perhaps they did so after some of the 2007s rolled off the line. I'm happy to report that it dipped below 10 degrees F this AM and there was no crunching at all from my front end. Looks like the problem was solved with zero cost and fairly minimal hassle.
    That is encouraging news - keep us posted on the permanency of the fix - there may be hope for us all.
    Haven't heard from anyone else who was in the same boat last winter - have all of these vehicles been purring along without any noise?? :confuse:
  • nissmazlovernissmazlover Member Posts: 162
    Nope. My suspension CRUNCH is still there, and I think I was the first to complain about it on these boards back in the winter of 2005, so it hasn't gone anywhere. It has recently started to get cold here in NYC - at times dropping down to freezing point (32 degrees). At that point is when my rear suspension has crunched over speed bumps, and other similar large bumps on the road.

I already knew the crunch was coming back, so I was expecting it and so it doesn't iritate me or grate me as much as it used to. Nevertheless, I have printed out the TSB someone posted on here, and I will return to my dealer and let them apply the TSB fix. Hopefully, it will be permanent, but by the looks of it, it doesn't seem as though it will.

I'd love to know if the 2008 version still has this problem! I don't see why it wouldn't since it's basically the same design but with a 5 speed auto - all they're changing is some parts of the interior and slight front and rear styling cues. Well, to whomever gets to ride in one in the cold, please let us know!
  • mrbwa1mrbwa1 Member Posts: 42
    I have a couple of questions about the suspension crunch. Our '07 Sport was purchased in October and so far no "crunch" as far as I know. It is my wife's daily driver, but she's pretty much on top of weird sounds/feelings/vibrations in the car. I have also driven it in the cold and have not heard a crunch. In order to try and help out those here with the issue I have a couple questions, and I'm open to questions as well.

1. Does the "crunch" show up anytime when the weather is below 32F, or does the car have to be out all day/night and cold soaked to get the noise? We have an insulated garage that usually stays above freezing, but the car is parked outside all day in sometimes sub-freezing weather.

2. Are there specific times the your hear the crunch? I have seen speed bumps noted, but is it only over bumps or even during cornering or even backing out of the driveway?

Since it is the wife's car, most of my driving has been short trips to the store from the above freezing garage. So far I haven't heard the crunch. I will ask her more about it as well, but I'm sure she would tell me about it. Also, I can look at the VIN plate for a date of Manufacture for anyone interested if it turns out we aren't hearing the crunch.
    1. Does the "crunch" show up anytime when the weather is below 32F, or does the car have to be out all day/night and cold soaked to get the noise? We have an insulated garage that usually stays above freezing, but the car is parked outside all day in sometimes sub-freezing weather.
    My response: anytime the temperature falls to -10C or lower - that's when the rear end crunch occurs. If it falls below -20 to - 25C - and standing in an uninsulated parking garage all day- it soulds like the rear end is going to "break away" from the front end.

2. Are there specific times the your hear the crunch? I have seen speed bumps noted, but is it only over bumps or even during cornering or even backing out of the driveway?
    My response: The crunch can be heard by going over irregularities in the road - minor crunch if the temp. is -10C. Going over things like big bumps - speed bumps and railroad tracks at -10C it is much louder; though at -20 to -25C the noise is loud enough for others outside the vehicle to notice it - inside it was nerve -wracking in the beginning, and as the previous poster said you know it's coming so you don't get to out-of-joint about it. It is still embarassing to drive others in this vehicle with the crunching noise. I imagine they wonder why I put up with it, or why I bought it in the first place.
    If I drive the car for an hour or so, then the noise will lessen as the vehicle parts warm up, but that only happens in the milder cold weather, in the deep freeze, it is there always.BTW, your wife would certainly let you know if she was experiencing the same problem but it is interesting that she isn't. Does that mean that some vehicles have the poorly designed bushings, while other vehicles don't?
    Also what happens once the warranty runs out and the problem hasn't been resolved permanently?
    Now I have a question for you - does your wife's VIN fit within the range of the TSB that was issued?