Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis: Real World MPG

jeff94vicjeff94vic Member Posts: 11
edited April 2014 in Ford
For those of you who live in cold climates, how much of a drop in MPG do you experience in winter? I was shocked the other day when I calculated a 5 MPG drop on my '94 CV since the weather has turned cold (i.e. below freezing).

Almost all of my driving is short city trips, so the drop might be explained by the engine simly not having enough time to heat up to allow optimum performance. Tire pressure was also a bit low, so that likely contributed a bit as well.

Just curious as to what effect the cold weather has your MPG.

Comments

• iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    mine goes from 20 in the summer to 17-18 in the winter...
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Perhaps it is a combination of:
    1. Engine not completely warmed up.

2. Cold air reduces air pressure in tires, causing more of a drag.

3. "Winter" gasoline containing up to 10% methenal or some other adverse chemical that prevents fuel lines from freezing.

4. Have you installed a roof top ski rack or luggage carrier?
  • turbo301turbo301 Member Posts: 73
    Indeed, I find that I'm losing about 5 mpg in the winter, too (from 26-28 down to 21-23 mpg). Note, too, that my tires are at 35 psi all around, I have no additional accessories, and my car has plenty of time to warm up (120 km per day). I always use Sunoco gas, which contains up to 10% ethanol year-round; 10% ethanol hurts fuel economy by about 2%, relative to regular fuel, but it is also an antifreeze, so I doubt that Sunoco adds much different to their gas in the winter. I do acknowledge, though, that most gasolines do feature special winter additives that hurt mileage.

I think that there are a few factors that explain poorer fuel economy in the winter. Longer warm-up times in the driveway, more power required from the engine to overcome cold tranny and differential fluids, and more wheel slippage all contribute to wasted gas. Add to this the extra drag of blowing snow (at least where I travel!), the extra weight on your car due to ice and slush, and you can see that winter is a recipe for poor economy. My car is noticeably lethargic when it is coated in ice after a big storm!
  • fscaranofscarano Member Posts: 44
    I have read posts where people are running 35 psi in tires. My question is why? does this improve fuel economy? and give a smoother ride? Wondering why 35 psi and not the recommended 32 psi.

thank you
  • shadshad Member Posts: 3
    Generally, the higher the air pressure in your tires, the smoother the ride. Also, the greater rigidity of the tires means less friction on the road, leading to increased fuel economy. P.S. If you are ever stuck in the dirt, one way to help yourself out is to deflate your tires (not all the way of course to about 15 psi) and you will get more traction. The softer the tire, the greater the grip.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    My 2004 LX Sport has the door decal (or is it on the fuel door?) that reads front and rear, 35 psi cold...my tires read a max tire pressure of 44 psi...

So, I fill them to 42 psi hot, let sit overnight, make sure out of sunlight in am, and let air out to 37-38 psi cold...firm ride, yes...better mpg???...no...

If tires leak out air down to 32-33 psi, I feel like I am riding on slush, with no control whatsoever...

Bob
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    The rating on the tires is maximum safe pressure for that tire WITHOUT taking into account anything about the vehicle on which it is installed. It is NOT the recommended pressure for the tire when installed on a Crown Vic/Grand Marquis.

Tires running greater than recommended psi are more subject to impact damage.
  • turbo301turbo301 Member Posts: 73
    Higher tire pressure doesn't necessarily equate to a smoother ride; SW Ontario's frost-heaved roads make higher pressure equate to a lot of bouncing and vibration :).
  • fscaranofscarano Member Posts: 44
    Some quick questions to get some feed back on GM/CV only. .

1 what’s the year of your vehicle and your current MPG average?

2. What Viscosity(5w-20 or 5w-30etc) and type(Mobil1, Valvoline etc) motor oil are you using?

3. What’s your cold tire pressure?

4. Have you ever hade a used oil analysis?

Me:
    2000 GM 24-26 MPG
    5-W20 Mobil1
    34PSI cold
    I never done used oil analysis/ I will with this oil change
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    Higher pressures may give better mileage and maybe better handing under some conditions, but at a price: more noise, harsher ride, maybe more wear in the center of the tire. I have a 2001 with the handling pac and found even 32 often too stiff. I used 30 with more comfort. Just replaced the tires with Goodyear Comfort Tred. They have transformed the vehicle into a quieter and smoother riding one. Am using 32 lbs and will see how that goes. If noise and smooth ride are important, get these tires.
    Agree with you on the results of higher air pressure.

The Handling Package enables better cornering and less pitching, but at a price of having more road feel and noise. So to install Comfort Treds would counter the advantages of the Handling Pac, but improve the ride.

I'll look into the Comfort Tred tire and thank you. :)
  • serge99piserge99pi Member Posts: 4
    : i bought 99 cv pi 2 weeks ago for my wife 138000 miles i am cab driver my 99 pi has 350000 miles so i know how good they are,next day check engine is on and it keeps dying out like it is running out of gas,so i change air idle valve,plugs,thermostat,belt it was ok for 2 days then again same thing it takes full tank for 200 miles very bad,it is very cold in chicago but the car looks mint i bought it from priest i am so upset i cant sleep at night,this mourning it kept dying out like it was running out of gas then i drove it still cold then it was ok someone please give me advice on what to do sergetaxi@yahoo.com or call 847 757-1271 cell THANK YOU
  • studbutterstudbutter Member Posts: 7
    My '84 Crown Vic usually gets 19-20mpg in the summer, and it drops to around 17 in the winter. I run 10w-30 in it year-round, and try to keep the tire pressures at 32-35. I'm pretty sure they reformulate the gas around here for winter/summer, with some "oxygenators" (like MTBE) in it for the winter gas. My wife's '99 Volvo loses 3mpg or so in the winter as well.

My used oil analysis consists of "yup, it's used." :P
  • fordenvyfordenvy Member Posts: 72
    10/18/2005-3/19/2007
    FUEL ECONOMY
    AVG - 22.45
    HIGH - 28.71
    LOW - 17.74
    PRICE
    AVG - $2.555
    HIGH - $3.059
    LOW - $1.999

So if we are paying $2.50 for gas currently, just think you've been paying that much all along on average.
  • oceanwalkeroceanwalker Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me what the typical gas mileage is for our 1999 Grand Marquis? We drive it locally and don't seem to be getting great mileage. Also, anyone had any problems with a 99 model? Please let us know asap. Thanks!
    Don't have a Lead foot driving with Unleaded gas.

We have two Ford products - each with same engine (4.6) and AOD transmission. '94 Towncar and '95 Thunderbird

Town Car @ 70 MPH gets 23.0 Thunderbird @ 70 MPH = 26.0

City driving gets 17 on each.

Mileage can be improved by using synthetic oil, 35 psi of air in the tires, clean air filter, and clean mass air sensor. There are a lot of variables to gas mileage. ;)
  • browneybrowney Member Posts: 104
    I am the proud owner of a new 2007 GM Model GS in Driftwood Gray. My first fill up yielded 21.9MPG. This was based on 50% highway driving at no more than 70MPH.
    The other 50% was on 40MPH suburban roads with a medium amount of traffic lights.
    I do not have a lead foot and pretty much drive the speed limits. :)
  • rsmith8rsmith8 Member Posts: 47
    Last week I rented a practically new 2007 Marquis LS while on vacation in Canada and drove it about 700-800 miles in the Canadian Rockies from Calgary and north of Banff/Lake Louise. The original window sticker was in the glove box and showed an estimated highway MPG of 32 and stated the vehicle was NOT to be exported to the US. What, if anything, is different about Canadian versions of the Marquis? I thought this was unbelievable but changed the computer settings to English and at least according to the onboard computer, I was getting better than 29 mpg using cruise control on the highway and maintaining about 70 mph. The mpg would drop considerably when in town, but showed overall mpg of 21+. I did note the gas pumps indicate that ethenol was NOT in the regular fuel grade which I used. I was surprised to see that the US EPA highway estimate is so much lower than what was on this vehicle's window sticker.
    Every time we go to Whistler I have to remember that to get Yankee MPG I have to multiply 1 liter X 3.785 to get an American gallon. 100 km = 60 miles.

We're leaving for Blackcomb Friday & will fill up just this side of the border.

I envy your having been in the Canadian Rockies & hope you were able to visit Jasper and the surrounding area. :)

I don't know the differences between our Marquie and theirs, but would not be suprised to learn the CA engine is not the 239hp, but perhaps the 210 and maybe even geared higher. How was the acceleration? :)
  • rsmith8rsmith8 Member Posts: 47
    I wish I had paid closer attention to the window sticker regarding engine specifications, but I just assumed it was the same as in the US. Gasoline was expensive compared to US. I paid $1.08/liter in Banff but found a 7/11 in Calgary with regular at $1.03/liter before returning the car to Hertz at the airport. The acceleration was adequate for such a big car. Someone else told me the higher altitude was a help regarding the mpg results. While we did not go all the way to Jasper, we did drive from Banff to the Columbia icefields but were staying in Banff so returned to Banff that same afternoon. While this route is in the Canadian Rockies, the highway is very good and the inclines were gradual enough that the transmission rarely forced a downshift climbing a grade even with cruise set at 70 mph (speed limit was 110 kph and there were some RCMP patols shooting radar between Banff and Calgary).
  • theronrohrtheronrohr Member Posts: 51
    Canadian's use imperial gallons which are a little bigger than US gallons. So you have to compensate for that. Both the window sticker and the computer must be using imperial gallons to calculate mileage.
    Mileage decreases as altitude increases because at higher levels you get less air per gulp. The engin then compensates for the thinner air by gulping more fuel. Sorry to hear you missed the Jasper area. It would have been worth your arriving later in Banff. ;)
  • browneybrowney Member Posts: 104
    Mileage Update:
    I just got back from a 800 mile round trip that was 90% highway driving between 65-75mph. I got 26mpg for the trip.
    The car now has just over 3kmi on it.
    Keep away from under the hood. Don't touch a thing. Keep the hood closed. You've got a good thing going for you. ;)
  • ionosphere1ionosphere1 Member Posts: 50
    On websites talking about New York replacing their taxis with greener ones, they say their Crown Victorias/Grand Marquis were getting 10 mpg. How could this be so low?
    Idleing for long periods will contribute to low MPG.
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    Also have to mention that the media never gets their facts straight, as they are cheerleaders of the "latest and greatest" mindset. They are not accountants.
    I read conflicting information online about the Grand Marquis' gas mileage. Some claim better than Mercury's website says and others give it worse. Guess I'll have to wait and see.
  • fomoconafomocona Member Posts: 19
    I monitor several webpages on behalf of Ford and I hope you don't mind my posting here. Echoing other comments taxis in general and NYC taxis in particular are subject to extreme driving conditions including excessive idling time, stop & go driving and 20 hours of daily air conditioning in the summer. Even with good maintenance, the mpg will be lower than what the average consumer can get in their Crown Victoria or Grand Marquis. With that said most reports state CV taxis achieve 12-14 mpg.

Sites like Edmunds.com are good sources for getting mpg numbers from a variety of owners and driving situations. Just remember you're most likely to see only the highest/best or lowest/worst mpg posted or reported online. As they say, your mileage will vary. We appreciate your purchase.
    Because you monitor for Ford I hope you will hear my comments below.

That Ford continues to install Crown Victoria engines in Town Cars is not providing a Town Car level engine for the TC. The price of the Town Car screams for a more powerful and distinctive engine. At least provide a "Power Option" engine of 5.4 L enabling the TC to not be plagued with the same engine as the CV. The Power Option should be a $250 extra cost item. The 239 hp 4.6L is just too enemic when traversing the Rockies and Cascade ranges both here and in Canada. :sick:

Your Panthers have been since 1998. When will we be given the option of a NEW car with NEW styling that still seats Six? :cry:

Presently, your 2008 TC drives me towards the Jaguar XJ8L and we've owned three TC's since 1980. ;)
    Ford should advertise the Grand Marquis. I have never seen an ad, either tv or print, for this car. As one who is buying a new 2008 and has it on order, I think Ford might sell more if they'd advertise them. I'm not an old person (48), read Consumer Reports and other publications, read websites, go to the car show and investigate all the cars, and despite all the negative things I read about the Grand Marquis about it being dated, etc., I'm buying one, because I feel this car is much more comfortable and roomy than any other for the price and I love traditional large American sedans. If I feel this way, then others must too.
  • fomoconafomocona Member Posts: 19
    euphonium & ionosphere1

Thanks for the feedback. I'll forward your comments to the correct departments. There are a lot of factors behind design, engineering and marketing decisions including customer input. As I can't monitor every site all the time, I'd like to recommend another way you can let Ford know what's on your mind. Please visit ford.com and give us your feedback. The comments posted there get forwarded to the proper department for evaluation. Again, I do appreciate the time you've taken to reply to my post.
  • georg15232georg15232 Member Posts: 1
    I believe that my gas mileage has suffered as a result of cold weather.
    I don't know how much less it is.
    On average, my car gets 17 or 18 mpg.

Does anyone know what other factors contribute to lower fuel economy on this type of car? :confuse:
    Tires lose air pressure when it is cold. Pump them up to 35 psi.

Over time, the Air filter gets dirty, check it and maybe replace it.

Unnecessary idling wastes fuel as does Jack rabbit starts. Drive smoothly with no quick moves.

Try the next level quality of fuel such as Mid grade, 88 or 89 octane.
    Ford's customer service is lacking, I'm afraid. I've telephoned them and emailed them, and they don't answer my questions that I wanted answers to. I asked the dealer, but they don't know the answers. Here's the questions:

1. For my new 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, for the audiophile system I have, where are all 8 speakers located, along with the subwoofer? I can only find 4 areas with speaker grills (1 in each of the front doors and 2 behind the rear seat). Do each of these areas have 2 speakers next to each other?

2. Why doesn't the steering wheel lock? Every other car I've ever owned had a steering wheel that locked.

3. What were the manufacturing problems that prevented them from being able to give me the laminated side glass option I was supposed to get with my order, but did not?

4. Why did it take 4 months for me to get my car after it was ordered, instead of the 2-3 month wait the dealer said it would take?

Although I'm not happy with Ford customer service, I'm very pleased with my car. I've had it 2 weeks now and feel I've made the right choice.
  • jesrf1jesrf1 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2007 GM LS, and so far have averaged 19-20 mpg on combined city/hwy (about 50/50 mix). I was wondering if anyone has tried E85 in their GM?

I haven't had the opportunity yet, becuase most of the E85 dealers near me only charge 5-10% less for E85 than gas, and I understand that E85 gets at least 15% less mpg. There are some other stations further out where E85 is about 15-20% less than straight gas, but I dont want to make a special trip out that way, but will give it a shot next time I'm out that way, just wondering if anyone has any data on this????
    I wouldn't put any E85 in any ICE including the lawnmower. :sick:
    E85 is another liberal lie. A big scam that doesn't help anyone.
  • crs480329crs480329 Member Posts: 1
    Youn mention the handling package on your GM. In 2008, I purchased a 2002 GM LS. What Vin numbers are associated with the handling package?
    Oversize tires, dual exhaust, & the 239 hp engine would indicate a car with the "handling package". I don't know that the VIN would indicate the package any more than the VIN would indicate what audio system is incorporated.

If you air up the tires to 35 lbs and then feel every crack in the pavement as the car corners like a locomotive, you probably have the Handling Package.
  • gerry100gerry100 Member Posts: 100
    I had a 2001 Grand Monkey that I used as a company car - not much stop and go.

Averaged around 23-25 mpg ove rlong distances.

Will be picking up my Dads' '05 CV shortly ( he can't drive anymore). Hope it does as well.

Great car to drive these days - the cops think you're one of them (or their grandparents.
This discussion has been closed.