Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis Electrical/Lighting

1235»

Comments

• euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    I'm with you on disconnecting the Negative terminal, but I hesitate touching the Negative cable to the Positive post on the battery. Would this "touching" cause an unwanted spark and maybe blow the dio plate in the Alternator?
  • bigrich52bigrich52 Member Posts: 3
    I learned this trick today at the auto shop.. Having an issue with ac control box.. Mechanic removed the wire and did just what i had stated.. nothing ill came of this except i had to reset my clock.
  • selma2selma2 Member Posts: 2
    hello,i havent experienced the headlight problem yet,,,but i dont drive it much ,only 43,000......what is happening with my car,is the fuel pump went ot at 32,000....then it went out again at 38,000....i am still waiting for the shoe to drop on the 3rd fuel pump with only 43,000,,,,the pump is inside the fuel tank,,,a design only a moron would do.....so it is quite a job,around 600.a pop,,,my car is a 2003 marquis ls....as far as the headlights are concerned,,,,ford has always had weird electrical problems with their cars as far back as the early 1950s....the lincolns and the edsel were nightmares......selma2 ndorfin51@yahoo.com
  • chorusofonechorusofone Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. What did you have to do to fix yours?
  • zeigler424zeigler424 Member Posts: 1
    I have this exact same problem my friend with my 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis GS. the lights come on when they want to and i will hear it click and come on when they finally do. Also my air does the exact same thing as yours only blows out of the top and im getting frustrated. Can you please help me and tell me what you did and replaced to get rid of these problems. Thanks
  • raszmanraszman Member Posts: 4
    mine was due to the right front fender being replaced during paint job and they failed to tighten a ground wire that attaches to the fender inside.
  • 1screwleftover1screwleftover Member Posts: 1
    Problem started with no left turn signals; found blown fuse (15A) in position #16; replaced fuse and turned on left signal that immediately flew new fuse; also noticed no mirror compass, night dimming or interior temp controls; put 2nd new fuse in but still no turn sigs and hazards, fuse did not blow this time; started engine but could not shift from PARK; thought about it and removed the 2nd fuse (still good) from position #16 and it shifted right out of PARK; assume a short in some switch, probably the turn signal switch; anyone had this issue?
  • nedsmithtnnedsmithtn Member Posts: 1
    When we bought our 2000 Grand Marquis in 2000 (it had 6,000 miles on it), the salesman said that the previous owners said that the car was "possessed". Well, we didn't think much of at the time, but now realize what they were talking about. We've had the car 12 years.
    Last Fall, (Oct. 2011) we were coming back from Louisville, pulling a boat trailer at 8:00. All of a sudden, we lost all lights on a rural highway. We pulled off, and I thought the problem was the trailer lights, which I unplugged. The lights worked, and we got home.
    Two months ago (Oct. 2012), we were on a rural road (no trailer), and they went out again. I had to use emergency flashers to get home. I called the dealer, and he said they replace the lighting module ($512) on the Marquis, all the time. I got on this forum and verified that was the problem.
    I got the dealer to change the module (it took two visits, as when first installed, they loosened an inline fuse) -- I got a break on the parts and labor due to family employee. Voila! All is well. In fact, I never liked the wimpy headlights on the Marquis, compared to my BMW. I had switched to high intensity bulbs in the Marquis, but that didn't help much. BELIEVE IT OR NOT, WITH THE NEW MODULE THE LIGHTS ARE TWICE AS BRIGHT.
  • roltyd22roltyd22 Member Posts: 21
    Can someone tell me if i have an LCM mod. on my 94 grand marquis?..my lights are going on and off after i have them on for awhile,inside and headlights.
    Can someone tell me if my 94 Grand Marquis has an LCM module? My lights are going off and on even the inside lights to and there's a clicking like noise coming from the right side of the steering wheel.I can turn them on auto and the steady clicking starts and they start flickering off and on.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    No but there's something called an Autolamp Dual Coil Relay (headlamp relay) which is there, just right of the steering post under the dash.
    edited January 2013
    This thing is driving me nuts,i covered the sensor up on the dash trying to make it think it's nighttime and will not start acting up,It will do this at night could there be another sensor for the lights somewhere?
    There's a Daytime Running Light control unit:

The Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)is located at center front of vehicle, on front of upper radiator support.
    I checked all around and on radiator support..nothing but 2 bag sensors.Could it be elsewhere on my 94 grand marquis? I'm also going to leave the sensor on the dash covered until it gets dark and see what happens if nothing i'll remove tape and observe..hopefully not a light show,
    I just removed the headlight switch and in the harness one of the wires where connected to switch was burnt and melted,i hope that's the problem..now to find a new harness i guess...think the switch is good or replace to be on the safe side?
    edited January 2013
    sounds like the switch overheated. I'd replace it unless it was punishingly expensive.

"Fire...good. Fire in car....BAD!"

sorry about the DLC...that's what the manual told me when I looked it up for you. In the diagram it looks to be more to the right (passenger) side of the radiator shroud, next to the outside temp sensor. This is a '94 GMarquis, right?
    Your right about the fire,Hey i went to orielly's and got another harness,put it on and seems fine now lights not flashing.I'll just keep an eye out and see what happens now,thanks' for the help i appreciate it.
    Great! If you can, maybe feel the harness to see if it's getting hot.
    Yes i did so far so good..i'll keep you informed on it...now i can sleep tonight..thanks again
  • ct45ct45 Member Posts: 3
    Yes, it has an LCM. The part is ~ $500.00 from Ford and they will install it for another $400.00. If you are handy and know how to solder, this problem can be fixed by replacing a relay on the LCM circuit board. The relay is available on line for ~ $0.85 + ~ $3.00 shipping from Mouser Electronics.

Somewhere on this string are pictures of where the LCM is located (under the dash to the right of the steering wheel) and the part # of the relay.
  • ct45ct45 Member Posts: 3
    Actually this was in reference to 2000 - 2006 Merc. Gran Marquis. Not sure about the '94.
    HI, I posted in here before about my 94 Grand Marquis about my lights going on and off.Well i'm back darn it,They 're doing same thing i replaced a burnt harness on my light switch,it worked for a bit.Come's to find out mine has a Wiper Control Module where the LCM is now i think.It was clicking i thought it was an LCM.So i'm wondering does it have anything to do with the lights?..I can turn on my wipers with the Multi switch and it will start clicking real bad..I did not replace the light switch itself just the harness...The wiper Control Module has relays in it like the LCM does.
    In reference to question #234,does this sound like a headlight switch wiring problem?.
    My 94 Marquis headlight switch harness is 9 prong,when i replaced it i had to remove 2 wires from it because the burnt one had only 7 wires.Is that the right harness that was on the car to begin with or does it need a 7 prong harness>?....i'm having light problems the one i replaced had a burnt wire.
    edited February 2013
    I found the problem with my lights,it was the autoheadlamp relay.It was mounted just to the right of the wiper control module and come to find out it was clicking when the lights flickered on and off.So I unplugged it and problem solved..no auto lights but who cares..,,,this is on my 94 Grand Marquis GS ..
    Problem not fixed,my lights are still going out,i guess i'm going to re-wire from switch back as far as i can go.
  • bartbarterbartbarter Member Posts: 39
    Did you ever change the switch?
    No, I never changed it yet,i left the autolamp relay out thought that was the problem,no luck so i'm replacing it today.So it could be the switch then?
  • bartbarterbartbarter Member Posts: 39
    edited February 2013
    Dangnabbed if I know :) I consider it likely though. As you don't have a LCM and iirc you don't have a relay driven headlight system - and your harness had damage - it's what I would do (as Shiftright mentioned), with a fair feeling of confidence.

Panthers had a headlight switch problem for this very reason until they came factory with a relay system. You may find your headlights are brighter with the new switch too.

If you're a bit handy and you're planning on keeping it you can also fix the problem pretty much permanently by converting to a relay system, as I have with my 85 Town Car. It did make the headlights noticably brighter too.

http://audi.humanspeakers.com/headlight-simple.htm (wiring colors and lengths not correct. I also used 8 ga for main power)

Good luck :)
    Got a new battery,lights work fine now.
    Well the new Battery didnt fix the problem,but had an effect on the problem for the lights all but quit shutting off until today.It was raining tonight and when i ran my wipers,the lights started acting up just like before.
    Doe's anybody have diagram of the light switch showing which wire goes to what?...my 94 marquis has a 7 prong and the wire that keeps burning is the pin "A" wire.
    answered in your duplicate post under "Technical Questions"
  • 92cvlxnc92cvlxnc Member Posts: 1
    Had to get up under the dash to fix loose column shifter. Tightened up two bolts. Then somehow found out the next night that I had no dashboard lights, radio/AC cluster or tail lights. Turn signal lights work, as do high beam and turn indicator lights on dash work. Checked the fuses both under the dash and under the hood.

Was wondering if it's just the light switch or could I have pinched a wire when tightening those two bolts?

Someone thought there might be a lighting control module or something called an autolamp dual coil relay. Doe anyone know anything about this?
  • jag68007jag68007 Member Posts: 5

I have a question regarding the LCM. Can it also affect the radio and climate control? I'm having all sorts of crazy electrical problems where on my 1999 Grand Marquis the entire instrument panel, radio, blinkers, climate control and interior lighting do not work. Each of these comes and goes individually, but it seems like the two that are dead the most often are the climate control and blinkers. Thanks!

• autotech21autotech21 Member Posts: 2

For all those having problems with 2003 thru 2005 grand marquis, crown vic lighting control modules for just extended the warranty on these take it to your local for dealer and they will replace it for free. refernce recall 14N01
    This program extends the warranty coverage on the lighting control module to 15 years of
    service or 250,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first.
    This is a one-time repair program. If a vehicle has already exceeded the mileage limit, this
    coverage will last through October 31, 2014. Coverageis automatically transferred to
    subsequent owners.
    VEHICLES COVERED BY THIS PROGRAM

All 2003 through 2005 model year Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis vehicles built at the St.
    Thomas Assembly Plant from Job #1 2003 through Job Last 2005. Affected vehicles are
    identified in OASIS.

• autotech21autotech21 Member Posts: 2

OWNER REFUNDS
    • Ford Motor Company is offering a refund for owner-paid repairs covered by this program
    if the repair was performed before the date of the Owner Notification Letter. This refund
    offer expires October 31, 2014.
    • Dealers are also authorized to refund owner-paid emergency repairs that were
    performed away from an authorized servicing dealer after the date of the Owner
    Notification Letter. There is no expiration date foremergency repair refunds. Noncovered repairs, or those judged by Ford to be excessive,will not be reimbursed.
    • Refunds will only be provided for the cost associated with replacement of the lighting
    control module.
    RENTAL VEHICLES

• tenpattenpat Member Posts: 1
    I received a postcard in the mail about this issue I think. I am glad I found this site because I threw it away and last night my headlights would not come on. The park lights and all the other lights inside did but not the headlights.