Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis Electrical/Lighting

dtonjesdtonjes Member Posts: 1
Where is the hazard flasher relay located on a Grand Marquis, 1997. The under dash fuse box has a round space, but nothing is plugged in there, and there is no info in the manual.

Comments

• heart2heart2 Member Posts: 38
    I have a 98 GM and the wipers do work at times. I know it is the turn signal stick control. How does one take it apart and is it small gears in the arm which are worn? I know the dealer will have a field day charging a fortune. However if it is too tricky to fix myself I will have no choice.
  • daveindcdaveindc Member Posts: 3
    The air intake system on my 2000 Grand Marquis will begin to crazy when the weather is cold (and runs fine when the weather is above 50 degrees or so). The engine doesn't seem to be reving, it is just that it is sucking in much more air, creating a loud humming sound and causing the car to spring forward. With the foot off the gas, the car cruises at about 30 mph!! If I give the gas peddle a quick push, the reving/humming will stop when coasting, but come back immediately when given even a little gas. Also, after the car comes to a complete stop, the engine will return to normal/the air intake goes back down and the humming stops.

If parked outside, this will occur within seconds of starting out. If parked in heated parking, this will occur after 15 or so minutes of driving. Replacing the air filter had no effect on all of this.

Any ideas what this could be, and how to fix.
    Thanks in advance for any help out there!!
    David
  • zanzibarjosezanzibarjose Member Posts: 10
    :P its not your air intake, its like an throttle position problem, most likely your Idle speed control solenoid. and maybe the TPS sensor, ECT sensor. If you got a code scanner, check it out and find out what itmay be. if not pay someone to find the code.
    I had that problem in my car an 1987 GM and it was the Engine cooling temperature sensor. It was plastic no it offered a weak ground and always sent th computer into run hot mode. Making the car idle like a [non-permissible content removed] and allowing the car to accelerate because of the higher idle. I also had the problem in an 88 TC I had and it was the TPS. I had the problem in an 84 CV and it was the electronic choke on the Throttle Body FI Carburetor. :sick:
  • ajwakeajwake Member Posts: 4
    I have just bought a '98 GM,87K,2 weeks ago. It has run smooth till today, doing 50mph, check engine light came on but car still ran ok. Although, I noticed a rough/uneven idle and a possible slight misfire at 5-10mph, although still accelerates smooth. Any ideas anyone? Thanks image (p.s. it was raining heavy).
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    The last time my 4.6 had those symptoms it cost me $742.45 at the dealership to install new plugs, wires, O2 Sensor, fuel filter, & fuel additive to the tank. Fixed it. :)
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    Sounds like plugs and/or wires. If the wires are original, cannot hurt to replace them. Also could be one of the coils is misfiring, which is what replaces the distributor.

To me, it seems to be something in the ignition system. It is a pretty basic system today - I suggest finding the garage that your local police force may use - they will know a Panther platform very well.
  • harmar2harmar2 Member Posts: 36
    My '00 GM's "Check Engine" light came on for no reason, with nothing seemingly amiss. Took it in; no problems found. The service manager said they will come on sometimes merely because something didn't come up to spec fast enough to satisfy the computer.

Question: Do all '05 GM/CV models have the radio antenna on the R/quarterpanel? I'm looking to replace my '00 with a lightly used '04 or '05 and every '05 I've seen listed online has the external antenna.

Thanks for any help available.
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    Check engine light could be a lot of different things - anytime it comes on, the cause of it is stored in the computer's memory.

On the antenna, all 05's have it. Coming from a 94 to a 2002, I'd rather have the 05's antenna - radio reception is poor with the in-glass antenna.
  • harmar2harmar2 Member Posts: 36
    Thanks for the info re: the external antenna on all '05s. My '00 has it in the rear window and I've been very happy with its reception. I'll look for an '04.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    It's not that hard to add an external antenna, if you want to buy an 05. Or, do like I have, and switch to satellite radio! :)
  • iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    Satellite radio at work and an MP3 player in the car :D
    it is on the opposite side of the panel. You gotta flip and twist it down to view the fuses on the back of the fuse box :shades:
    yep, you need a new switch. auto zone has the cam and the entire switch. D/C battery, :P Remove the air bag, and steering wheel, 2 screws up and out, disconnect harness, reconnect harness 2 screws, back on with the wheel
    this sounds like a bad plug, coil, wires or fuel quality
  • jmoniejmonie Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys i own a 1997 crown vic police edition everything was going great untill all of a sudden my gages on my dashboard stop responding my gas hand milage hand and so on. I was hoping someone could tell me whats wrong or has anyone else had a prolemb such as this one?
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Might the owners manula tell about a dashboard fuse???...just a thought, I do not really know if one exists, but if everything stopped at once, it sounds like some major feeder of something broke, maybe electricity...
  • markermanmarkerman Member Posts: 3
    Had a problem with a 15 Amp fuse blowing on my 92 CV. The keyless entry, power mirrors, glove box light, trunk light and vanity mirror lights were all on the same circuit.

Tracked it down to the headlight switch. The instrument panel dimming rheostat coil was broken and turning the dimming knob would cause the broken coil to short out against the switch frame. A new headlight switch fixed it.
  • esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    I had a similar problem with my 01. In my case an electronic dashboard but also all lights would go out. Tracked it down to the vanity mirror on the driver's side. The wire had chaffed off the insulation by rubbing on the roof causing a short every once in a while when operating the visor! Re insulated the wire and made sure it was secure. That solved it.
  • ajwakeajwake Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, harmar2,+ others,The light went out acouple of weeks later,the computer must have decided the car was ok after all!! I LOVE THIS CAR! :)
  • captainkirk1captainkirk1 Member Posts: 3
    Last week I lowered left rear window and couldn't get it back up. Took door apart and found cable not attached to anything. Moter/electric still work fine. Held cable and operated moter and strong pull there. Got a Chilton's manual, but nothing about the path the cable is to take, only how to swap out motor which I don't need to do. Any inexpensive (dealers are not) ideas to find out where this cable that moves regulator up and down on track connects?
  • kilotrixiumkilotrixium Member Posts: 1
    I am also having this same problem. Did you ever figure it out?
  • debdyatdebdyat Member Posts: 1
    I have a question for anyone who has a 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis LS... does that year have automatic headlights? Any help anyone can give me would be most appreciated. Thanks.
  • ab5znab5zn Member Posts: 3
    If by automatic headlights, you mean headlights that automatically turn on when it gets dark, the answer is yes.
  • bar8bar8 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Grand Marquis, When I start the car in Park, I can not move the shift lever in to drive. I found that if I turn the ignition switch to just before the accessories come on, I can move the lever in to Neutral, Then start the car and shift in to Drive.
    I took apart the column area and can not see any thing binding. A few months ago, the same thing happened for about an hour and then went away.
    Any Ideas what is wrong or what controls the release of the shift lever?
    Thanks in advance
  • bigguy313bigguy313 Member Posts: 1
    This happened on my 1993. It required a switch to be replaced on the brake system that unlocks the gear shift. It was done at my local Shell Station so it not any big thing.
  • gobiggobig Member Posts: 6
    I think Grand Marquis have something called Brake-shift interlock. This prevents the gearshift from being moved from Park unless the brake pedal is depressed. If you can't move it out of Park with the brake pedal depressed try the following.

1. Apply the parking brake, turn ignition key to LOCK, then remove the key.
    2. Insert the key and turn it to OFF. Apply the brake pedal and shift to Neutral.
    3. Start the vehicle.

LOCK is the one position toward you from the OFF position. If this doesn't work it is possible that a fuse has blown and the car's brakelamps may not be operating properly.

I hope that helps.
  • jrogjrog Member Posts: 1
    the check engine light of my 1993 GM won't go out and stays on when im driving. How do i solve this problem?
    Check the engine. You may be low on coolant, or some other fluid of a container under the hood in the engine bay. So, check the engine. :confuse:
  • esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    A check engine light usually indicates a problem other than normal maintenance items.
    If the light is flashing, you should immediately shut off the engine and have the car checked by a qualified service technician.
    If the light is glowing solid, this usually indicates a failed sensor or something that is not dangerous to operate the vehicle. Autozone offers a service to read your computer codes for free. This should tell you what's wrong. Good Luck.
  • teasedyateasedya Member Posts: 1
    :sick: My 01 GM has the engine light on also. It's time to take her in to the shop to get a read out. She has been stalling like she's not getting enough gas. This happens every now and then and usually fixes itself but it's not this time.
    However, something else is happening that is new. The inside dome lights are turning on when the car is running and when I park it I have to re-shut the back door for the light to start to fade to turn off. The car has been parked for two days and this afternoon the dome lights turned on by themselves and went off by opening and shutting the door again.
    Please help! Any guesses would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
  • jfayjfay Member Posts: 1
    Went to work and the car was fine, went to get in it to come home only to find out I had no dash lights or tail lights. What could be the reason for this and where can I find the fuse to check and make sure that is the problem. I have a 1994 Crown Vic
  • operations8operations8 Member Posts: 1
    The exact thing happened to me, I own a 1994 Grand Marquis Merucury. I had it checked out at Pep Boys, they didn't find anything. I went to a Ford Dealership and they said it was the light switch, it has to be replaced. They wanted $400 to do it. I will have my son change it out for me. I understand the part isn't too expensive. My other lights work fine.
  • lroelanslroelans Member Posts: 1
    94 Grand Marquis headlights go off for a few seconds and then come back on. I hear a click in the dash area when this is occurring. Need to fix this problem fast - People keep flashing their headlights at me thinking I forgot to turn them on. Any help will be appreciated
    There may be a circuit breaker in the switch requiring you to R&R the switch.
  • merkownermerkowner Member Posts: 3
    I discovered that electric door lock trunk release and auto window down stopped working .I replaced the 15 amp circuit breaker fuse and still no louck any Ideas thanks
  • malibuwagonmalibuwagon Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1998 grand marquis about 3 weeks ago the oil light came on so i changed the oil and it was still on. then a couple of days later i was driving at night and all of a sudden the car just went dead it stoped running and every thing but only for a couple of seconds. so i was told the altanator was bad so i changed it it still happens every time i use more power the oil light gets brighter. i also put a new battery in if some one could help me find out what the problome might be i would appreciate it.
  • cardodcardod Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis and the headlight switch and plug melted around the part that controls the parking and dashlight. It happened once before and I replaced both parts. It happened again just recently but I can't seem to find a short or damaged wire anywhere. If anyone has any idea why this is happening I would appreciated the help.
  • ogdad223ogdad223 Member Posts: 1
    try checking for a bad ground on the dash itself sounds as though youve lost it there also check fuses and panel for blown then find short check batt post for good conection
  • texasgal1texasgal1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Grand Marquis. Recently had the transmission speed sensor replaced. Now headlamps and interior lights are going on and of by themselves. This goes on all night long. Had to turn the head lamps from auto to off to stop headlights from coming on. Could this be connected to the replacement of the tranny sensor?
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Two winters ago the interior lights in my 99 Grand Marquis began going on and off throughout the night. (Not the headlights). I took out all the interior bulbs. It was easy getting used to life without them. This spring I put all the bulbs back in and within one week they started again to go on and off throughout the night. I again removed the bulbs and am living without them.
    Other than that, the car has reached 103,000 miles without any problems. I change the oil,changed the serpentine belt,changed the spark plugs,coolant,and brakes and that's it!
    Regarding that light problem on the 2000 Mercury GM, a mechanic suggested I let it dry out real good, as it had been raining really hard and I drove in a driving rain. He said some Fords have a problem with water getting in the electrical. As of today it has not repeated the problem. I am hoping this holds. Other than that it has been a great car.
  • pscarguypscarguy Member Posts: 1
    i'm having a problem with the car lighter on my 98 grand marquis. there's no power coming through for the lighter or any car adapter. i would change the fuse but i don't have a manual so i don't know which one to try. any ideas?
    What other accessories do not work? The fuse for the lighter enables other minor electricals to function. If the others function, it is the unit itself.
  • nateman7ahcnateman7ahc Member Posts: 14
    Hey gang,

My headlights ('03 CV) were turning themselves off after about a minute of burning. It didn't matter what position the headlight switch was on. Sometimes I could get the lights to come back on if they were off by turning the switch to off and then back to on. But the lights would always eventually go out. I found I could hold the turn signal back in a flash-to-pass position as a temporary fix. Finally took the car in and needed a new multi-function switch in the steering column and when that burned out it also took the lighting control module. This was $900 and not at a dealer, a local shop. Hope this info can help someone else. Overall, car has been pretty good--also had to replace the climate control module (also $900).
  • kwookkwook Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Grand Marquis, and the dome light started to come on on day. It would light up after my car was parked, and stay on. Eventually it drained a battery, so I tried another, and it drained that one as well. Now I disconnect the negative terminal from the battery everytime I park it. I have been doing this for sometime, while I have tried to look for the problem. Any help would be great.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    The short term fix: pull the bulb.
  • pesullypesully Member Posts: 3
    I am looking for info on the 2006 GM harness. Does it have all the connections for keyless entry etc even if they were not installed? So if you got the module you could plug it in?
  • ronald1ronald1 Member Posts: 11
    I have the same problem on my '99 GM. The battery saver feature should shut off the dome light after ten minutes. When I checked the wiring schematic and seen that it goes through a computer module I stopped my diagnostic work and went to Radio Shack for a $3 on/off toggle switch. A ten minute job to lower dome light and wire the switch in. I just left the switch dangle from the dome light. Works fine. I'm sure the dealer could give me a prettier solution for $300.
  • 93vicman93vicman Member Posts: 1
    1993 Crown Vic. A couple years ago the door chime started sounding whenever the driver's door is open. It doesn't matter if the engine is on or off, the lights are on or off, the key is in the ignition, or if anyone is seated in the driver's seat. The chime almost always sounds when the driver's door is opened. On rare occasions it will not sound for about 30 sec when the door is first opened, but then start with the ding ding ding. I'm going nuts over the ding ding ding and if I could find the chime I would hit it with a hammer. Should I replace the door switch, the chime relay, or what? Thanks. Bob