Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70 Convertible Top Problems

124»

Comments

• scotts911escotts911e Member Posts: 2
    is there a way of getting the stowage cover down so i can get into the trunk to manually crank the top down I've read all the threads on this topic and no one has explained how to do this
    is it even possible without removing the cover?
  • paullovepaullove Member Posts: 1
    I have a 03 C70 soft top. After driving the car all winter i tried to but the roof down today but with no joy!

The light on the switch to put the roof down is not coming one when pressing it! (nothing happens when you press it)
    I checked the main fuse's but all seem ok! Called Volvo garage but was told they need to put the car onto the computer at a cost of £100 to see what the fault is alone!
    Can anyone help me with this problem or tell me where to start!
    I tried taking the earth of the battery but still nothing!

Also is there a way to manually put the roof down and up? In the handbook it only tells you how to crank the roof up. BUT NOT DOWN!

Be great full if anyone could help me on this problem. Thanks
  • cliffykatcliffykat Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    When I had to put my roof down I used the same method of cranking it just cranked it in the opposite direction. I hope you get yours working. I found a small garage that took care of me rather than the dealer. The dealers tend to over charge compared to the smaller mechanics.
    Hope this helps.
  • volvouservolvouser Member Posts: 1
    My C70 2004 soft top does not close properly. Something is out of sync. When the top raises from trunk (to close), I hear a loud snap, then, metal steel locking devices come forward before top closes completely. Top then slams onto windshield frame ...unable to close b/c metal is in the way. Top is to close first, then metal rods motions forward to lock top in place. Everything works, but sequence is an issue.
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    The rear window has started to separate from the canvas on my top, "delaminating" per the dealer. Am being told the glass can not be reglued, and the only way to fix it is to replace the top! Anyone have this happen to their C70? Was told a canvas top only lasts about 6 years and they can't believe mine is a 99. Any comments would be appreciated. Hate the thought/cost of replacing the top. :sick:
  • designernzdesignernz Member Posts: 1
    hi i saw this very old message here and was just wondering if you ever found a solution to this problem as i have experienced exactly the same issue. many thanks. peter
  • reallyjr56reallyjr56 Member Posts: 1
    top cover is stuck straight up roof was about 3 inches from windsheild read operators manual pulled front roof motor cover down and off put tool in slot cranked clockwise and roof latched back down on windsheild. NOW IF SOMEONE HAS ANY IDEA HOW TO GET INTO THE TRUNK TO CRANK DOWN THE TOP COVER I WOULD GREATLY BE THANKFUL SINCE MY TOP ROCKER SWITCH IS DEAD AND I DO NOT KNOW WHY . p s checked all fuses no luck pls help
  • yojasonyojason Member Posts: 3
    Help please!!!
    I have an 04 c70 and I first noticed that that the rear window demister was not working. I have also noticed that the chime at the end of the lowering or raising of the top does not sound. Also the windows do not lower when the top starts its cycle.

From what I read on VADIS the control module is suppose to lower the windows 5cm at the begging of the cycle. Also the boot is not suppose to be able to be open via the switch (I can open it while lowering or raising the top but it does stop). Also the rear defroster is shup off when the cycle is not complete which is why I think the defroster does not work.
    I have checked the fuses and they seem to be fine. I found a buzzard or Relay that reads "Audible Hood Warning Unit 8611543" I204
    I am not sure if this is the relay for the chime. I tried to test it by putting power to the connectors but I did not hear a click.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks..
  • rich163rich163 Member Posts: 2
    I have a Volvo C70 convertible also and my top went 1/2 way up and stopped. Would not go down or up. All fuses were fine. I had to use tools to take off the boot from the hinges so I could get into the trunk so I could use the crank. Then I had to also use the crank inside the car, up by the rear view mirror so I could lock the top down. Now the DAMN ding DING bell goes off every time I drive the car. I have been trying to find where the bell is so I can disconnect it, or put tape over it. I can live with the top being a crank up and down, because I have several other cars and because I have cut the crank off and now just insert it into a battery drill. Any one know where the bell is???
  • grainandshinegrainandshine Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 C70 and I have taken it into a couple of repair shops as I am having a leaking problem with the Hard top. No body can seem to find the problem and I have paid a lot of money to fix it. Does any one have any ideas for me on how to fix this or a good repair shop in the Seattle area that could help with this?
  • new_to_volvonew_to_volvo Member Posts: 1
    Hi. Would you happen to know how long I need to hold the yellow button? I've tried it for a couple of seconds and have also held it in while the compressor is doing its thing and nothing happens. No matter how long or short I press the button, the top does not lift. I have to wait a couple of minutes (truly) and then press the button again and the top will move. (And sometimes, it takes a couple of presses to even get there.) I just got this car last Monday (mine is a 2009) and took it to the dealer Wednesday. They seem to make it work but today it happened again that I could not access the trunk quickly. Nothing in the manual really speaks to the length of time to hold the button. Do you have any tips?
  • melitamelita Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2003 C70 Volvo convertible auto. she has now developed an intermittent fault. I stop and park, and then she won't start again. I have to wait, usually she will then start. But the other day I had to get AA out. They tested all the usual stuff, Petrol pump etc. But she just wouldn't start. Next morning, hopped in and she started first time. The local garage can't find anything via the diagnostic test. It sounds like there is no fuel getting through. ANY IDEAS out there. One thing it seems that it is when the weather is warm, but can that be right.?
  • melitamelita Member Posts: 2
    When I picked up my C70, the roof was very slow. While having her serviced I mentioned it to the garage. They lubricated all bits, and she now moves freely. Simple I know but maybe of a little help. As for the button, like I say at first I seemed to have to wait ages for her to click into place and begin, but now, although not the quickest, I keep my finger on her for sometime before letting go. I wondered if the motor was on the way out but not so in my case..
  • powersropowersro Member Posts: 1
    May sound strange but I have a solution. Not really a solution as a work around. I have a 2001 and have a similar problem starting. The work around is to take out the key and turn it upside down. This usually restarts the car. I'm not sure it's the turning as much as taking it out. Try it next time it fails to start. Mine was like this when I bought the car three years ago and was told the workaround by the previous owner.

Bob
  • lexus271200lexus271200 Member Posts: 1
    The problem is with the immobiliser ring around the ignition switch where the key goes in. It is better to replace the ring as it costs only £35.00 from volvo. Cheap fix as you can install it yourself in under 10 minutes. Repairing it only gives you reprieve for a short while.
  • rshelleyrshelley Member Posts: 1
    I had exactly the same problem with my 2004 C70 GT. Turned out to be the ignition. Not sure what you'd call it but its where you insert the key. Basically, the imobiliser isn't being de activated so the car wont start. Repair cost including the part was £90 at my local garage. I suspect a main dealer would charge more.
  • lmgpapaglmgpapag Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2014
    what causes the problem of top stopping 6 inches from closing? I've read some other postings about closing with special volvo tools - but not what the cause is.