Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DeVille General Care & Maintenance

2»

Comments

• sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    What I was getting at, and I am sorry that you did not understand, although I am not surprised, is that adding 1 to 2 pints of coolant annually (that is after a 12 month period) is normal; BUT, adding a gallon every 12 months is not normal. I hope that this is clear?

More to the point, adding 1 quart in the next 12 to 15 months is probably not anything to worry about. But adding 1 quart in the next 6 months is something to worry about.
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    I owned my 98 Deville for a little over three years and never added any coolant and never had any coolant messages. If your stats are correct why is that? It would seem to me that after three years a message would have appeared. The car also ran fine, the service dept would give me a report on fluid levels at oil change time and if any were added. Thanks again for the information.
    This problem has only happened during the hot weather recently. The temperature has been about thirty degrees warmer than usual. The dashboard readings and my manual pressure reader are generally within a half pound of each other. We will see what happens after the heat wave. If the pressure reading warnings continue to appear I will check at the dealer. Many thanks for the response.
    I don't think that you should need to add any coolant over a period of one year. My Seville had some transmission work done more that a year ago, and that required the engine/transaxle to be removed from the car, so the coolant was replaced. Since then the coolant level has remained completely full, up to the top of the transparent portion of the reservoir when cold.

What you should do is monitor the coolant level, when the car is cold, and note when it starts to disappear. At that point you need to become concerned that a leak has started, or the water pump is beginning to fail.

Someone I know has a 99 DeVille which had a water pump failure. After some period of time the DIC flagged the Low Coolant warning, so he had the dealer add more coolant. A few months later, the warning came back, and the service department knew that there was a problem, which should have been checked for sooner. The problem was a leaking head gasket, which they tried to replace, but there was so much corrosion that the engine was not repairable. The warranty was also expired.
    As mentioned in a recent post I have recently purchased a Lincoln Town Car to use with my Deville. Since buying the Lincoln I have been using it almost every day in order to get familiar with it. As of today the Deville had not been out for five days. Both cars are kept in an insulated garage
    including insulated door. I wondered if there is any guideline as to how often the Deville should be started and or driven to avoid even minimal deterioration? I want to be quick to point out that I have no favorite between these two fine cars but the lack of usage for the Deville is temporary. All replies and suggestions appreciated.
    Driving any car will cause deterioration. Not driving the car will not prevent deterioration. The best way to avoid deterioration is not to buy the car and walk.
  • gamafaxgamafax Member Posts: 1
    I have to have the water pump replaced on my 96 deville. I have the water pump and the special tool. However, I do not have a manual to see if I am taking the right things off. I am wondering two things. One, I read on another forum that the engine needs to be jacked up about 4 inches to get the pump out.( I had never heard this before and am wondering if it is true.) and Two, If in fact it would be wise to replace the water pump belts while I have the cover open and how hard is it to do that? One of the other posts on this forum states that the dealer advised the customer that he needed to clean the grooves on the pulley when he replaced the belts. Is that necessary and what would one use to do that if it is so?
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Most important thing - the water pump, with the special tool, has 'left hand' threads. Turn clockwise to remove. It only will need to move about 1/8 a turn. Some of these water pumps, if in an old car with many miles, few coolant changes, etc etc etc may be 'frozen' in place - very difficult to remove. Good luck.

I can't tell you everything to take off - I do remember there is a protective cover over the belt - remove this to get to the nuts/bolts on the belt. Then just take off everything to get to the side of the pump, where I think there is a cover over it. There should be an o-ring in the back of the pump after it is pulled, the new pump should have a new o-ring. They say to coat it with antifreeze before installing.

I've never heard the engine needs to be jacked up. You do know this is on the driver side of the car, top of motor, at the end of the upper radiator hose????

If the belt has cracks in the back, replace it. If the 'grooves' are cracked much, I would replace it. You are in there, it is only about $12 or so - replace it. The belt tensioner needs to be oiled so it moves freely, it pivots on a shaft.

My dealer told me they would clean the grooves when they replaced a belt. I think this probably was nonsense. But when I replaced main drive belt and water pump belt, I used a toothbrush on all the grooved pulleys, and felt a fool while doing it. Needed a new toothbrush afterwards, too.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    maintenance, if you must go thru the hassle of changing the water pump, would it not be prudent to change the belt, check the pully, and change ALL hoses at that time???...heck, if the AC has a separate belt, change it, too, and not worry for the next 50K-plus miles...
    I too feel the need to do 'maintenance' changes on belts and hoses.

But.... a Northstar has hoses that are not changed on a 'whim'. The main upper and lower radiator hoses are simple, but the other heater, surge tank, and various bypass hoses are a real mess. Some of these are green 'silicone' high temperature hoses. You better not replace these with regular black heater hoses, they will probably soon melt.

On my 1995, I replaced the upper and lower radiator hoses and the drive belt (there is only one) and the water pump belt (this is a little short belt driven off the rear of the front cam shaft). I looked at the other hoses and decided they would stay in there until they looked a lot worse. Course I sold the car much before I thought they needed changing.
  • smilingjoesmilingjoe Member Posts: 5
    Just got a used 2000 Cadillac DeVille without a maintenance schedule. Does anyone know where I could get one; or, what is schedule for Oil changes, Tune-ups? Also, I thought I remember reading that you can use regular gas (87 octane). Is this recommended? Thank you in advance for your help.
  • smilingjoesmilingjoe Member Posts: 5
    EBay always has owners manuals for bid, for all kind and years of cars.
  • caddi_boicaddi_boi Member Posts: 1
    im tryna recharge my A/C unit on this 98 deville but its like aint nothin goin in...I got the gage and it be reading over in the yellow zone, but the dash keep sayin..."low refridgerant - A/C off" its gettin hot out here i need some help
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    In a GM car when the refrigerant (spl) is low the
    compressor will not turn on and pull it in.
    You have to pull the plug off the compressor and
    "jump it" to switch on the compressor.

Your best off going to a AC service place for a
    full testing, then evacuate the system, then recharge!
    The error code for 'low refrigerant' will not let the compressor kick in, so you will not be able to pull refregerant in.

You need to re-set the error code.

For a 1998 Cadillac, I'm pretty sure the codes can be reset yourself using the temp buttons on the dash. You need to 'google' for other Cadillac online forums, where there will be detailed info about how to display and reset the codes. It is rather straight forward.

With the codes re-set, you should hook up the refrigrant can, then start the car and turn the A/C on, and hope it will pull in enough before the car re-sets the error code.

And, jumping the compressor would probably work, just don't fry anything doing this. Jumping the sensor might also do it. I think, I am not sure, the sensor for low pressure is on the pipe that goes across the firewall. The sensor is on the passenger side of the car in this tube.
  • adragonsbaneadragonsbane Member Posts: 4
    the hood cable is broke i cant open the hood what do i need to do? :confuse:
    That ones gonna be tricky !!!!!!!!!
    Not sure how the 89 grille is held on or if its connected
    to the hood ??????? Can't remember how my 90 was.

You can eyeball thru the grill and see if you can see the
    hood latch release. If so you may be able to "trip" the
    latch. Or get underneath and reach up and try to get hold
    of the cable and pull it to release it.............

Tricky and a PIA but you can do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    When my dad was old and senile and had forgotten about there being a second lever you had to release after 'popping' the hood, he just used a large crowbar on his 1966 Ford pickup hood.

Came right open. There always was a little U-shaped dent in the front of the hood afterwards.

I took the truck away from him and drove it for about 7 years. The dent didn't bother the operation of the truck at all.
    my grill comes out looked at another cad think i can trip it i get your drift thanks
    dude its a caddy not a ford truck :):):)
    I bet a crowbar will open it.
    took the grill out used a metal coat hanger got it on the first try thanks for the advice. :) :shades:
  • powerfltpowerflt Member Posts: 7
    I think it was the 2002 MY that Cadillac reset the upper and lower limits on the tire pressure system to looser tolerations. In my 2003 DTS I only had the tire pressure message come on once when the gas station attendant overfilled a hot tire on a very (below 0) day. Let some air out, never been on since. ;)
  • jasper60103jasper60103 Member Posts: 22
    I purchased my 04 Deville about 4 months ago from a cadillac dealer. I just took it in for an oil change. To my surprise the air filter was filthy. Look like it hadn't been changed for a year or more. Never seen one that dirty before.

Appearantly, the dealer overlooked it when they inspected the car. I should have complained to the sales and service mgr, but I didn't think of it at the time.

Anyway, I just wanted to raise awareness to other Caddie owners out there.

-jasper
  • bobheisebobheise Member Posts: 2
    hOW DO I CHANGE THE COOLANT ??
  • bobheisebobheise Member Posts: 2
    Open the drain on the bottom of the radiator, or remove the lower radiator hose at the radiator.

Refill with 50/50 Dexcool.
  • jokerjustin37jokerjustin37 Member Posts: 3
  • jokerjustin37jokerjustin37 Member Posts: 3
    hi i have 98 cadillac deville and the steering wheel is gross so i bought an original steering wheel and was wondering how to change the airbag cartridge without it deploying??? and responds would help alot plz
  • 2001dts2001dts Member Posts: 6
    I hear people talkng about the Northstar and oil consumption. I use 5w30 Mobile Clean 5000 and Lucas Oil Stabilizer and I promise she runs like the Cadillac LMP02. ACDelco Platinum spark plugs, Purolator PureONE air filter. I must say I do not use any other gas but 93 at either Shell or BP. I have Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires, but they feel kinda hard. I need a good high performance all season tire. 235/55-17. I see alot of DeVille DTS and DHS with the Vogue Tires are they good tires?

There is a missing on a cold start. I took it to Bill Black Cadillac in Greensboro, NC and they said it wasnt the head gasket. My coolant level is still the same, I still get the missing. There is no codes on the dash board. I was thinking its a bad coil, but a code would pop up. Thats my only problem and the car has 122k miles on it.
    I usually let it go down to 5% on the info screen. I use Mobile Clean/Super 5000 and Lucas Oil Stabilizer!
    The miss probably is a coil. Replaced one on our 2005, and it missed pretty badly, and it was not setting a code.
    That's $435 for one coil...ACDelco!
  • martianmartian Member Posts: 220
    My Dad's 1999 has 120,000 miles, and the water pump is leaking. Dealer wants $1200 to replace the pump.
    This sonds awful high.
    Howver, if fixed-what if the head gasket blows?
    Can the water pump be replaced by myself-or does the job nvolve pulling the engine?
    $1200 is way, way too much money for a Northstar water pump. The water pump is at the top, left side of the motor. It's rather easy to get to. I think there are a few things to take loose, but as I said, they are at the top of the motor and easy to reach.

The only thing different about it - it takes a special tool to remove the water pump. But it's like a $35 tool, just like a huge socket with tangs on it. The tangs slip into slots on the pump, and it turns out. IT HAS LEFT HAND THREADS!!!! It turns about 1/8 a turn, then the pump pulls out. There is a cover over the pump and it might take a new gasket. A wild guess would be about $75-$100 for the pump.
    Take the car to and independent garage. As if they know how to take a Northstar water pump out and if they have the special tool needed. And then get an estimate for the job. $300 should be the max needed.
    I wonder if they make an after market radiator for the 2000-2005 model DeVilles. Brands like "Be Cool" etc. It would be nice, bc my Northstar generates tons of heat. I was told that by changing the antifreeze to newer, will cool it off. What do you guys think? Becauae honestly I haven't changed it in about 6-8 years. How long is the life of DeX-Cool? Does antifreeze break down, element wise or something?
    For a long time Dexcool, or whatever the stock coolant is called, on a new car is about 100,000 miles or 5 years. If you've got 5 years on it, change it. And, yes parts of the coolant do break down, mainly the anti-rust and lubricating components.

Why are you lookin for a new radiator? If the old one doesn't leak, don't worry about it. I'm sure you can find a replacement radiator on the internet, I just don't know why. To get any serious cooling help, you would have to find a 'high performance' radiator that has addition rows, etc, etc. You Cadillac is a car where you would not find 'high performance' parts.

Change the coolant. If you can find a shop that will make a real attempt to flush out all the old coolant, on a 12 year old car with 8 years on the coolant, I would try to get as much of the coolant out as possible. Normally, at the 100,000/5yr, all the Cadallic service manual calls for is to dump the old coolant and add a 50/50 mix back. They don't say anything about flushing, and you will get only about 60% replaced. Since you've got so much time on it, I would try to get as much out as possible.

All car 'generate tons of heat'. The engineers think they have it under control.

A little hint. Run the AC all the time. When the AC is 'on', the fan/s run all the time. It tries to keep the temp around 195/200 degrees. If you push the 'Econ' button, this turns the AC off. The fans will not run until the coolant temp hits about 222degrees!!!!! I don't know why they designed it this way, but this is how it works. If something is wrong with the AC, and the cars computer can recognize it has a problem (low or high pressure in the AC system), it runs the car in Econ mode, not allowing the AC to turn on. And, it's going to run at higher temps. If the AC is not working, get it fixed and your Caddy will run cooler.

Your main problem is a head gasket. There is nothing, maintenance wise, you can do to help this. Of course, I am assuming you keep the coolant at the correct level and the oil at the correct level. If not, this abuse could cause all kinds of problems.

Drive a 1999 Cadillac and give it decent maintenance. If the headgasket blows, sell it for salvage. If any other significant thing breaks, how much the repair would take determines what to do with it. Wild guess, I would think the best cared for 1999 Cad would be about a $3,000 maximum trade allowance. If something breaks that will cost $1,000 to fix, sell the car for salvage.

You should try to find an independent shop, with a good reputation, that can work on the car. If something does need to be repair, the cost should be half or less than a CAddy dealer will want.

Oh, wait, you have a 2001 Cadillac. It's worth about $5,000.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,565
    1993 Deville with 4.9L. How do you reset the "change oil soon" monitor so it doesn't come on every time you start the car. No manual.

Also wondering why it would come on after only 2500 miles.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Cadillac DeVille, Fleetwood, 1991 -93

When “CHANGE OIL SOON” light is illuminated, press and hold Range (A) and Reset (B) buttons on Fuel Data center 5 to 60 seconds. When buttons are released, the light will flash four times if it has been reset. If the light comes back on for more than 5 seconds, repeat procedure.

Oldfarmer, google is your friend.

bolivar
    The caddys never lie! 2500 miles is about right for regular motor oil, some people say 3000. I use Mobile Clean/Super 5000 10w30 with a Lucas mix!! My model caddy has an oil percentage life. On mobile I may go 5500 miles, depends on my bank! But yeah that sounds normal and quit good if you ask me! 2500 miles is at about normal range! As for the monitor, go to the information center on the dash, scroll until you see oil life and just reset it...
  • vicgoovicgoo Member Posts: 11
    I worked at a Cadillac dealer back when the Northstar first came out in the early 90,s.I have seen spark plugs go bad and break down on acceleration causing random engine miss when they had less than 2000 miles,sometimes a certain plug may break down long enough to set a misfire code if it was 96 or newer,but 93-95 Northstars will not set codes,i just replacced all plugs and never had a single one comeback for that problem.Note-as they get older the plug wires can also go bad causing same problem,if so replace all the wires not just the one bad.
  • vicgoovicgoo Member Posts: 11
    edited June 2011
    That,s not true about a not leaking radiator,i had 3 cars-89 and 96 Cadillac,86 Jaguar XJS-V12,all 3 was getting hot,radiators don,t leak a drop but the cores were restricted not letting coolant flow properly,monitored temps on cadillacs before=115-120 C,Jag had gage going right before the H mark,after i changed radiators the Cadillacs ran at 90-104C,Jag gage never went over 1/2 even in desert over 100 degrees
    edited June 2011
    "...Oldfarmer, google is your friend..."

You're my friend too. Who needs that Google guy? ;)

Thanks.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

"...2500 miles is about right..."

Holy cow! Even back in the 60s we only changed every 3000 miles. These days people tell you you're crazy to do it that often.

What is going on in that Caddy motor to require such frequent changes?

This discussion has been closed.