Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DeVille Electrical/Lighting

Comments

• bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    I totally agree with you on the dealership issue. I have found both GM and Ford dealerships to provide mediocre service at best. I actually do my oil changes on my 2004 Deville at the Chrysler dealership which I have found to provide better service than either Ford or GM. The companion car to my Deville is a 2005 Lincoln T. C., bought recently but expect to try Chrysler dealership for oil changes for it too. My question would be are the Japanese builders exercising more oversight over their dealerships and is that one of the reasons that Toyota and
    Honda are getting higher ratings than than Ford & GM? I have never owned a Japanese car but am somewhat frustrated with the attitude and service received at the big two.
  • josh20josh20 Member Posts: 2
    Have 2002 purchased in 2004; wheel sensors left front had to be replaced; now right front sensor needs replacing. Now have check stability light with ABS Brake and other lights that won't go out. Dealer checked today-will cost $2000 to repair. Trying to keep this short. We are frustrated--Has anyone experienced this problem?
  • 04cad04cad Member Posts: 131
    I didn't see where you said how many miles this car has on it? Have they checked the front bearings? My daughter's car had a sensor problem, the dealership said it wouldn't be dangerous to drive it that way, later on the bearings turned out to be going bad. The sensors and ABS are all close to the bearing area on some, maybe all, GM vehicles. This could be the start to a bearing problem if the car is around 100,000 miles.
  • josh20josh20 Member Posts: 2
    It has 90,000 miles.
  • 04cad04cad Member Posts: 131
    I believe all of the late model GM products have a second generation air bag that is safer for smaller occupants compared to the first generation air bags that were reported to have dire consequences for smaller occupants. Their trucks once had a switch so you could turn the air bags off when necessary, the late models do not have this switch.
  • sickcaddysickcaddy Member Posts: 1
    2002 standard NorthStar engine - 225K miles - when car is moving on a level concrete road, it will accelerate andhold a speed of about 60MPH with no curise control and no pressure on the accelerator. Putting tranny in Neutral while vehicle is in motion results in idle speed of between 2,400 and 2,600 RPM until car runs out of gas (for you guys who want to know How Long?) or until the vehicle comes to a complete stop. Within 3 seconds after complete stop, the idle speed takes about 5 seconds to gradually reduce to 1,400 to 1,600 RPM. Have changed all sensors called for in error codes. Cleaned throttle body.

Cold start idle is normal until engine reaches normal operating temperature, then it speeds up.

I am not a mechanic, but I sincerely believe this is not caused by some sticky accelerator or other strictly operator controlled mechanical reason. It is in the computers somewhere - of course, I already told you I ain't no mechanic - or service tech either. THANKS fo your help.
  • dhs1dhs1 Member Posts: 6
    Anyone know the trick to replacing the bulbs that illuminate the license plate on a 2001 Deville DHS? You can't access the bulb from inside the trunk so there must be a way to just remove the plastic transparent cover on the outside, but I don't want to break it in the process.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    First thing to always check - for a floormat that is hanging on the acc pedal, although this doesn't sound like it. Floormat would not return to lower speed in nuetral.

Next, did you said you cleaned the throttle body. Did you clean just the tube, or did you also clean the throttle butterfly valve. And clean it good, both the front and back of the valve. Was there a ridge of [non-permissible content removed] where the valve closes on the intake? You must scrub the gunk off with a toothbrush and carb cleaner, front and back. The back will be much worse. The gunk will cause a Northstar to actually have the throttle hang.

Mechanical binding of the throttle cable?

On the 1997 Northstar I messed with, there is an Idle Control Valve on the intake. There is a (what's it called, the thing that feeds exhaust gas back into the intake??) The idle control and EGR (that's the name, exhaust gas recirculation) valves are right there on the intake, by the throttle valve, and these can be taken off and the passages checked and cleaned. An Idle Control Valve usually has an electrical solonid on it, do not get carb cleaner into the electrical part. But clean passages. There is also a Mass Air Sensor on the intake. I've never taken a Northstar appart, only a Ford Ranger. It has very fine wires inside that can be cleaned by spray electrical cleaner, I think carb cleaner is too strong for these. Be very careful with Mass Air, the wire is very fine. Do not touch.

All these effect idle and at high milage can be gunked, dirty , etc.

Anyway, something else to check.

You have high milage on this car.
  • mdcaddy01mdcaddy01 Member Posts: 2
    Hi board,
    First time posting on the site. I'm 30 and recently purchase a 2001 Deville DTS with 79,000 miles. Very happy with the car but a ER.2 message appears on the dash before i start the car and leaves after it starts. What does this message means. I'm still under warranty and want to fix any problems as soon as i can. If anyone can help thanks.
  • caddipimpcaddipimp Member Posts: 2
    just bought a 98 Cadillac Deville Concours,,, for $800.00,,, I don't really know if it was that much of a steel... as far as driving it seem to b ok... but every time i start the car the truck pops open... i have to get a jump every time i start the car... is it alternator and electric problems... i am nervous on taking it to a shop thinking they might rape me... has any 1 had this problem...the guy who sold me the car said that it really ain't nothing.. but i'm getting tierd off staring the car and having to get out to close the truck... is this a big problem to get fixed...
  • dtstldtstl Member Posts: 1
    2000 CADILLAC DEVILLE DTS
    This is a complicated discription of my problem, so I'll jump right into it. As you read this, keep in mind that my back-up lights NEVER work.

My brake lights work properly when the headlights are off. All three of them come on, and no bulbs are out.

With the headlights on:
    When I turn my headlights on, the third brakelight (above the license plate) does not work. The license plate lights are extremely dim, not really illuminating the license plate at all. The light-up pattern of the taillights is different also. The entire taillight is lit, except for the lower inside quarter of each taillight (not applying the brakes). When braking, they light up properly, and they blink properly with the blinker on. If I disconnect the third brakelight, the normal taillight pattern comes back (a thin stripe on the outside edge of each taillight), but all other problems remain.
    The trunk courtesy light is always dim. When it is removed, the license plate lights go off. The license plate lights also go off when the trunk release is disconnected.

It seems to me like the trunk is not getting the proper voltage to carry all the lights.

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS:
    1. Replace the wiring harness in the trunk (Grounded by the left taillight)
    2. Replace the headlight switch
    3. Replace the dim bulbs and see what happens.

Also, could the traction control be carried on the same wiring through the trunk? Because when this started, the yellow traction control light comes on in the instrument panel periodically. I can't pinpoint what is triggering it though. When that light is on, I cannot manually disengage the traction control with the button on the center console. This could be a separate problem though.

Can anyone help me, or direct me to someone who can? The car can't pass inspection without the third brakelight and backup lights.
    Sounds like a ground problem in the rear light circuits.
  • mbouchardmbouchard Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 caddie in the shop now. Electrical problem with power being drained overnight, or if car left sitting for more than 8 hours. Sometimes the trunk and gas cover pop open when car is started.

I'm at a loss as to what could be wrong. Have you received any good directions what to do with your problem? I won't drive until I am sure the problem is fixed.
  • himihimi Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I´m new here so sorry if I´m posting in wrong forum.

I own a Seville 1991 V8. There are two fuses under the hood named INJ (Probably Injection?) of 7,5 A each. One of them are very often popping which makes the engine only perform 50% of it´s capacity according to my experience.

Any ideas of where to start analysing the problem?

Kind Regards Himzo
  • okko1okko1 Member Posts: 327
    would agree sounds like ground problem see the same thing in trailer lights. will likely be wire harness or light board contaminated with water check lense some times evidenced by green color
    the more you tell the more it sounds to me like that wire harness is cut or pinched somewhere have you had the seats out or installed anything in the truck
  • shemikashemika Member Posts: 1
    I got new starter put on two days ago and now it wont turn over at all. I was told it could possibly be aneutral safety switch. could this be true and if not what do you think it is? :cry:
  • smilingjoesmilingjoe Member Posts: 5
    The battery is not charging. The mechanic has taken the alternator apart and found all parts are working, then re-installed; yet, it does not charge the battery. The batttery is o.k. This is a Cadillac 2000 DeVille with the Northstar engine and only has 65,000 miles.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    the alternator is internaly regulated if he did a bench test and it showed a 14 volt 70 amp cycle may be 12 volt source may have a problem some models have inline fuseable links some have charging system relays and fuses check these
    Thank you. Will have mechanic check it. :)
  • davidgolferdavidgolfer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Deville and the turn signals stopped working. When you turn the left on it is just stuck. Same with the right turn signal. I checked the bulbs and replace to fuses. I bought a flash fuze from the dealer,but can't find where to plug it into. Anyone have this problem or know how to fix this. My other cars, I just replace the light bulbs and flasher and this fixes it most of the time. Please help.
  • etbartleyetbartley Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a well taken care of 99 Eldorado last Friday and as of Saturday it started doing this! The starter makes a strange clicking noise, the battery shows like 10 volts, then the clock and onboard diagnostics reset themselves (but strangely my saved radio stations are "remembered") and sometimes the trunk and fuel door will pop open. I replaced the obviously stock battery on Saturday with some Bosch upgrade, and it ran fine for 3 days. Today, it started doing this again! The guys at work jump started my car and I drove it home and it was running fine, with a battery voltage of about 13.0-13.5. Once I got home and turned off the car, it wouldn't start again, and the voltage dropped to like 9.5 then 8.5 until I gave up. I jump started the car again and drove it to Pep Boys and had the alternator, starter and battery tested and they are fine but they said the NEW battery, which is less than 3 days old, has a bad cell. I don't know what the chances of this happening are, or if something wrong with the car destroyed the new battery, but I'm hoping (praying) this third battery will work! Did you ever figure out what the deal was with your Cad? I see you posted this in May, so maybe the problem has been diagnosed by now, I'm just trying to save myself a bunch of hassle and headache of having a dealership or mechanic guinea pig it to try and determine what the problem is. Any info you can provide is greatly appreciated!
    After sending the alternator out to an expert, it was determined it had to be replaced. An internal part had burned out. As they are water-cooled, the total cost was $1050 CDN. The alternator is in an extremely difficult position to reach and my mechanic of 25 years charged me almost no labour. I hope this is not the case with your unit. :sick:
    Well, if the battery has a bad cell, it needs replaced, new or not.

If this problem continues, I would guess the problem being the battery cables, the positive or negative. Corrision has probly gotten inside the rubber and eaten almost thru one or both. A common problem on Cadillacs.

The positive cable is somewhat complicated and expensive to replace completely. It will go from the battery to the starter, which on a Northstar is inside the intake manifold. Intake must be loosened and lifted to get to the end of the positive cable.
  • sassy13sassy13 Member Posts: 1
    I was given a 1986 caddie (DeVille or Devil of a time) and among other problems its gas gauge does not work. The display on the heater or any of the other digital displays will not read out. I am having a new problem now with the battery. I goes dead very couple of days. I can hear something clicking and checked under the hood. It is definitely a electrical component. It is right behind the battery and nothing in the manuals suggest what it might be. I am getting gas fumes when I start it. It is running too rich and will blow a little black smoke sometimes. I am sure there is more to the problems with this thing. I am trying to fix it one thing at a time. I replaced the fuel filter, battery, spark plugs, distrubuter cap and roter. It does run, but runs out of gas a lot. I have trouble with the cars idle speed. I can get it right and in a few days it is not running right again. Any suggestions on getting the battery not to run down or how to get the gas gauge working again????
  • avidusavidus Member Posts: 2
    Every now and then, like months apart, the interior lights, cigarette lighters, and trunk light stop working. We have checked all the fuses and they are all fine..but cant find out why I suddenly lose the inside electrical overhead lights, cig lighters and trunk light. Then, as strangely as they went out, they come back on. But it's a real pain when they go out..no lights at night, no power in the outlets and no trunk light....ARGH........any clues out there???
  • amkdevileamkdevile Member Posts: 19
    If your car has battery run down protection, it might be turning them off to save the battery. I've had my trunk light do this when the trunk was open for a long time. Then it comes back on a little later. 2005 Deville.
  • avidusavidus Member Posts: 2
    No, I wish it was that simple. The lights will go out for months at a time and wont come back on at all, except bu surprise, the whole thing works great, so nobody can figure it out. It must be a short somewhere but dont know where.If I plug in a jumper box into the cigarette lighter, then the lights work, so they must all be on the same circuit and not getting power from the car battery. But I have checked the fuses and they are all fine. So I just dont know...
    Has someone put a trailer light package on the car?

Has someone put an after market radio on the car?

Has someone put an after market alarm system on the car?

Has someone put a remote start system on the car?

Any of these has a high possibility of messing up the electronics on a Cadillac, or any other vehicle.
  • etbartleyetbartley Member Posts: 2
    Just an FYI - a few days after posting this I found out all of my problems were linked to corrosion on the positive (red) battery terminal. I took it to a service station and they replaced the tip (not the entire cable) and it's been working fine ever since! Of course, I have a (second) new battery now, one w/o a dead cell. I wonder if this problem killed the first new battery I got. Well, I hope this info helps someone if they have a similar problem!
  • medic2586medic2586 Member Posts: 1
    97 caddy with twilight sensor....interior lights started coming on when twilight would turn on headlights. truned twilight off and fixed problem until last night..hit a bump and interiors are on anytime driving...can't drive like this with interiors on at night....several mechanics and dealership have checked this to no avail....any help or ideas????
    On my 1995, under warranty (factory extended), it took three tries by service before they successfully fixed this.

They replaced, per receipt, a relay, a module, etc in the attempts. I think the final fix was a short or bad connector, not a separate piece of hardware.

I didn't ask much about it, just kept taking it back. And on the last trip home, after 30 minutes on my driveway, I saw green fluid. Took it right back and got a replacement water pump in less than 2 hours. Had it in stock, knew what the problem was, quick replacement - this makes me think lots of them leak.

And, you have to disconnect the battery to stop the interior lights, until they are fixed.
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    A short circuit is a good guess.

Yes, the northstar water pumps do fail every now and then. Most water pumps fail before the engine does.
  • kearkear Member Posts: 1
    could somebody tell me how to remove door trim? short? where is the timer or relay?
  • jeanw3jeanw3 Member Posts: 1
    bought 97 Deville three weeks ago .Got my new trunk solenoid today via internet order. Old one wasnt working via remote and inside trunk button. Got most of it off (lock solenoid) but the round white plastic 'plug" left the rest dangling Couldnt fig out so closed trunk carefully and drove to Auto Zone. Backed up out of garage, display not coming on. Next block or so it while driving Display comes on. Before even finished taking out all 3 bolts took pics of old one installed and new solenoid "white round plug" was going to post pics or send to Hubby to help me figure out
    Got to Auto Zone trunk wouldnt open with key
    The new solenoid and camera and tools all in trunk They were to busy inside to help Also wanted to ask them to let me know codes for "service engine soon"
    What do I do go to locksmith or body shop??? I hope wires not caught in lock I doubt cause old solenoid was still attached with last white round plastic plug cable that I couldnt "unplug" or release
    Thanks
    Jean
  • dickdddickdd Member Posts: 1
    I Own a 1999 Sedan Deville. When I purchased it, it had no owners manual.
    I have two annoying problems that I can't figure out:

1. How do I reset the information display to show 100% Oil Life after I've changed the Oil???

2. I have a button in the passengers glove compartment marked "Valet"I guess this is a security measure to prevent the Valet from opening the trunk. How does it work???

I have intermittent success when trying to open the trunk with the remote. Sometimes it opens the trunk & sometimes it doesn't. The button in the dash displays the same symptoms.

I'm totaly confused by this!!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Dickdd
    1) Bring up the Oil Life display, then hold down the 'Reset' button until it changes to 100%. About 5 seconds.

2)Push the valet button. Lock the glove box. The trunk cannot be opened with the key.

Owner's manuals can be bought very reasonably on eBay. www.helminc.com will sell you a new one. With all the 'stuff' on a Cadillac, you need one, and you need to read it. Lots of good stuff in there.
  • redtaredta Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Cadillac Deville,the illumination lights behind the steering wheel buttons for my temperature, my phone and onstar, as well as the cruse control are burned out. Can someone tell me how to replace them.
    This has been discussed before, I think.

There are no replacable bulbs.

The controls themselves have to be replaced.
  • vandusenvandusen Member Posts: 7
    Help I got a 91 Deville with the same problem fuel gauge and heat and A/C read out not working All is blank?? Wife ran out of gas allready need to fix?
    Need some help fixing my wifes car, no fuel gauge or a/c lights on digital readout, All fusees are good where do i check next? Got acsess to another car for parts, was told it could be a body control module? Where is this located and will it fix my problem? Any help is welcome.
    Thinking of trading, are these year Devilles trouble free? Reliable? Dose the Northstar hold up? I'm a heavy Equipment mechanic but know nothing about the Northstar.
  • jasper60103jasper60103 Member Posts: 22
    Thinking of trading, are these year Devilles trouble free? Reliable? Dose the Northstar hold up?

Bought my 04 Deville about 6 mos ago w/25K miles. Have about 30K miles now. Very pleased with the car, but I'll try to be as objective as I can.

1) Replaced the Air Pump (caused check engine light)
    2) R&R front rotors and new pads (normal wear/tear item)

After correcting the above items I've been very pleased.
    I do have a minor annoying windnoise issue I still need to address though. This is all covered under warranty.

Even after considering the above issues, I feel my experience has been very good so far. I really love the ride and performance of this car. I truely look forward to driving it every day.

I really haven't owned my Deville that long, but so far no regrets. Hope this helps with your decision.

-jasper
    Thanks for the info can I ask what you payed for the car? I'm on a tight budget as I get payed monthly and Wife starts and new low pay job next week. Her 91 Deville has some issues and she's scared to drive it much. Looking to spend 12 to 15 grand only, I can get a new car for that but it wont meet our expectations, and I love the look of the 04, 05 ,06 Devilles.. Found a few for under 14,000 with around 40,000 miles. But I havent even test drove this model DeVille.. I'm sure I'll love it..
    1991 Deville --- No gas gauge or a/c -heater digital readout, wife is living without a/c but winter is on it's way and she'll need some heat! Also she's run out of gas several times now. ( really need some sort of help ) Thanks
  • kiddycarkiddycar Member Posts: 1
    Interior lights do not come on with fob or when door is opened at night except for driver door power window panel. Dimmer control for dash lights operated normal ecxcept will not run overhead lights on. Over head lights by the rear mirror will come on with adjacent push in switches.
    Can sombody help me with my problem? No digital read out on A/C and Fuel display panels on my wifes 91 DeVille..
  • bernadette55bernadette55 Member Posts: 7
  • bernadette55bernadette55 Member Posts: 7
    I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY CADILLAC DEVILLE 1991 4.9 ENGINE I CAN BE DRIVING ALONG MY CAR STARTS TO MISS THEN IT QUITS LIKE IT IS NOT GETTING ENOUGH GAS, I CHANGE THE FUEL PUMP AND STRAINER, FUEL FILTER, SPARKPLUGS, WIRES AND IT STILL DOING THE SAME THING IF ANY BODY IS HAVING THIS PROBLEM ARE CAN HELP ME PLEASE LET ME KNOW. YOU CAN EMAIL ME AT DATAJOB2001@YAHOO.COM :P :P :sick: :sick: :cry:
  • davidsander13davidsander13 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 Deville, and recently my "System SSS" light came on and stayed.

I know it has something to do with the suspension or steering, but is it serious?

Can I reset or should I take it to the dealer and get bent over? How do I reset the light?

Thanks

Dave in Virginia