Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera vs. Lincoln Zephyr

heavensoldierheavensoldier Member Posts: 61
edited March 2014 in Lincoln
How do these cars compare? What car would you chose if you had to decide between these two cars?

Comments

• displacedtexandisplacedtexan Member Posts: 364
    I think it's kind of sad things are where they are that that question is even being asked - Lincoln in the same breath as Hyundai?

Kuddos to Hyundai for reaching this level - shame on Lincoln for falling so low.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    How do these cars compare?

There is no comparison. The Zephyr is a Lincoln and the Azera is a Hyundai econobox with pretensions to something more.
  • Not to get priggly about it, but... ;)

one could also say that the Zephyr is a fancy Ford with pretensions to something more. Nothing basically wrong with it of course, but going back just a bit, we had the LS which was not a fancy Ford sedan, but a proper Lincoln sedan. Lincoln has come down in stature...even Ford admits that.

I wish they could have kept Lincoln in the Premier Auto Group. Lincoln moves down, Hyundai is moving up, and now, like it or not, some people will cross-shop the Azera and the MKZ.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    Lincoln has come down in stature...

Everything is coming down in stature. It's nothing more than the Second Law of Thermodynamics. Automotive entropy is increasing as well.

That having been said, the MKZ/Zephyr is every bit a Lincoln. It has a quieter ride than the Town Car with less wind noise. It has a stylish interior with ultra high-end audio system, competent navigation, HID headlamps, real wood and a fabulous ride. All the car now lacks is the 3.5L engine and that will be remedied soon enough.

The Azera, OTOH, is a Hyundai with halogen lamps, mediocre sound system, NO navigation, fake wood and a cheap-looking interior. It is a pretender very different from the MKZ/Zephyr. And for very little less in price. The Lincoln is the better buy in every regard.
  • Depending on your personal tastes and what you are looking for. The Zephyr can also be seen as less car for the money by some yardsticks. It is smaller, has much less interior room, less power, and less standard equipment (and not even a stability control option). The Zephyr is very quiet, but the Azera is even more quiet.

However, the Zephyr is a still a Lincoln (which still has more cache than Hyundai, even if expressed in fancy Ford rather than Lincoln language), it is arguably better looking than the Azera, and does have real wood (for whatever that is worth). So some will buy one and some the other. Neither one right now is burning up the sales charts.
    The dealership experience will be important, too. Lincoln sales and service has for a long time ranked towards the top in customer satisfaction. I haven't seen any recent rankings on that, though. I know from my personal experience, I'd rank our nearest Lincoln dealership way above the Lexus, Acura, and Volvo dealerships. The Honda and Toyota dealerships don't even rank in terms of customer service, IMO. Have no idea about Hyundai.
  • You are right...that is also important for many.

Unlike a lot of other people, it is not a factor for me. I never take my cars to the dealer--with the exception of my previous Audi where service was included. I suppose even I would return if there were adjustments to be made under warranty, but in all my most recent purchases, there hasn't been anything to correct.
    I was thinking of the initial purchase experience and any subsequent warranty work, or until routine maintenance coverage ran out. After that, it's a matter of finding a good mechanic, and for me that's usually not the dealer.

You haven't had any warranty work done on an Audi? :surprise: Or, have recent purchases been something other than Audi? I just ask because Audi reliability reputation seems to have suffered lately.
  • Sorry. I did say "with the exception of my Audi." Still, I had a 2001 225 TTR for two years, and the only reason I went back to the dealer with it was for oil changes and to swap the tires for all seasons.

VW hasn't had the best record either, but mine has been flawless for three years. Luck of the draw, I guess.

The last car I had to take back (several times) for warranty work was an Oldsmobile Touring Sedan. One of the worst cars I ever had. But most of my cars have been troublefree--going back to a 1989 Ford Probe that had zero problems in 4 years.

I have owned several Ford pickups too. One I had to return to get the driver side power window fixed, but otherwise they performed flawlessly too.

Of course up until recently, four years was my maximum for keeping a vehicle. Have decided I was spending too much on vehicles. Hope to keep my Millenia S for 10 years. Have already logged six.
  • heavensoldierheavensoldier Member Posts: 61
    Thanks for the replies, I don't think I'll get the azera, I think i can wait for the 2007 Lincoln MKZ when it comes out, or shop for some other cars. Thanks and God Bless.
  • ranger2001xltranger2001xlt Member Posts: 85
    Folks,

I am on the wall between purchasing an Azera and the new Lincoln Zephyr. The Zephyr base price is more but I can get it at Invoice because of the Ford Supplier program. But then again many of the Azeras are going around invoice. And the difference in interest rates makes up for a price premimum on the Zephyr. (I wish the Azera offered low interest rates that may help my decision)

The engine is bigger in the Azera but the gas mileage is better in the Zephyr. And the Zephyr has fine pickup for my taste.

The inside of the doors are better on the Azera but I like the dash of the Zephyr better. The leather quality in both is the same.

The Zephyr has a better sportier ride than the Azera but there are alot more 'extras' on the Azera. I thought the ride in the Azera floated a bit too much.

The base warranties even out now that Lincoln offers a base 6 year powertrain and 4 year bumper to bumper.

I think the Lincoln will hold it's value more but who knows. The Lincoln LS resale value took a beating.

Has anybody else weighed the decision on these two cars and what was you reason for choosing one or the other?
  • donvickdonvick Member Posts: 38
    We were looking at the Mercury Montego when wifey spys the Zephyr. We drove it and really liked it, especially the air conditioned seats. Living south of Fresno, Ca. this is BIG excitement in this heat. However comma, the 3.0 engine gave me serious concerns. We drive to Reno, San Fran, Palm Desert and Irvine over the mountains. The engine seems a bit weak for such trips and the tranny would be downshifting and upshifting too much for my tastes.
    We looked at and drove 2 different Azera's and began to compare everything else to the Azera. Only thing Hyundai doesn't have is air conditioned seats. It has more stuff as standard than others seem to have available. We bought the Azera in powder pearl white and have 1137 miles on it right now. Wife driving daily to work 22 miles each way and thoroughly enjoys the trip.
    We passed on the Zephyr because it is a new design, so is Azera but figured with all the warranties Hyundai is putting its money where its mouth is and 10yr/100,000 miles is hard to pass up.
    Zephyr lost in the engine also, I think its weak for our purposes even with a 6 speed tranny. Its going to be changing gears a lot on trips. Okay for the flatlands but the hills were a concern.
    Azera has the things you don't readily see, Electronic Stability Control and Traction Control System, airbags all around, power rear sunshade.
    And the Azera is sporty looking luxury car with an engine to play with.
    If the Zephyr would of had a larger engine, a 3.5 or so, we'd probably have one, the A/C seats were hard to give up.

Don
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    and don't forget... the Azera has foldaway mirrors which are good for parking on narrow city streets and driveways! The Zephyr does not. :blush:
  • donvickdonvick Member Posts: 38
    Right, I forgot about those fold away mirrors. I use them regular in the garage. Never gave it a thought before as I seemed to bang into the Grand Am mirrors moving around in the garage or close to the vehicle in the driveway. Same with the old 84 t-bird.
    Now we have to stop and push them back out before backing out. Could lower the windows and lean across the seats I suppose.

The Premium pkg. has the electric folding mirrors but we couldn't justify the expense when we are the same size, so no seat adjustments are necessary. Also it doesn't rain here much so the sensing wipers was a bell we didn't want. As was the electric steering wheel.

I really like the garage door opener and compass on the rear view mirror.

Don
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    If you need the big interior of the Azera then maybe you should compare it to the Avalon. If you don't need all the space of the Azera, then compare the Lincoln to cars closer in size to it.
  • tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    Hi. I don't own either of them, but I'll shoot my mouth off anyway.

I was very interested in the Zephyr when it first came out, partly because I simply have a jones for real wood, and the Zephyr has plenty of it. Unfortunately, from there on it's all downhill.

Basically, the Zephyr is a glorified Ford Fusion, which means it's a restyled Mazda6 with more rear seat room. A couple things turned me off about it pretty quickly:

•Most of all, build quality. The American Mazda6 isn't as reliable as the Japanese-built Mazda3. This was also true of their predecessor cars, the American-built Mazda 626 vs. the Japanese Mazda Protege. I believe Hyundai, serious about entering the big time, has really thrown an enormous effort into giving the Azera excellent build quality and premium materials, including where they don't show. Ford products, on the other hand, have reliability records in recent years that reflect the desperate financial trouble they're in and the pushback they're getting from the suppliers they're squeezing.

•In the long run, I think the Zephyr's resale will be abysmal, and the Azera's less bad than people think. Not that I care, because I keep my cars anyway -- which, given the American makers' poor treatment of component suppliers, is a double minus for the Zephyr.

•Despite the wood, the Zephyr's interior just doesn't come off as high-end. The dash has a lot of square shapes that look circa 1985 to my eyes. Conversely, despite its obviously fake wood, the Azera comes off as modern and premium in every other detail, like the classy fabric headliner, the neon gauges and the powered rear sunshade.

•No electronic stability control on the Zephyr, if I recall correctly -- a big safety item, bigger in my opinion than some of those much-ballyhooed airbags.

In the end, the Fords just don't even get into the semifinals for me. This isn't Car and Driver doing a comparison test. I'd have to OWN the winner, using MY money. No contest. If seeking alternatives, I'd look at the Accord V6 or Acura TL first. If you're into something softer and plusher than those, well, nothing within $5000 comes close to the Azera.
  • me_and_g35me_and_g35 Member Posts: 15
    I don't think there is really no comparison between Azera and Zephyr. Well equipped large sedan vs. not so sporty enry-lux med sedan. I would recommend Infiniti G35 instead of Zephyr. With Zephyr, you could potentially encounter a residual issue because its 2007 moodel will be called MKZ instead of Zephyr. Going back to Azera, only holding you back is price, I can sign you up for Hyundai Associate Purchase Program (invoice + $100 at purchase - available rebates - $100 mail-in rebate with survey completed). If you are interested send your name and address to maximusminimum@hotmail.com
  • rj123456rj123456 Member Posts: 140
    Ended up with the Zephyr because the ride is much better, and liked the styling better, and the price was great. Feature wise it's a wash - more airbags & cooled seats vs. stability control and the rear sunshade. Wait for the '07 MKZ for the new warranty.
  • ranger2001xltranger2001xlt Member Posts: 85
    Azera:

Exterior

Length: 192.7 in. Width: 72.8 in.
    Height: 58.7 in. Wheel Base: 109.4 in.
    Curb Weight: 3629 lbs.
    Interior
    Front Head Room: 40.2 in. Front Hip Room: 55.5 in.
    Front Shoulder Room: 57.9 in. Rear Head Room: 38.2 in.
    Rear Shoulder Room: 57.1 in. Rear Hip Room: 55.1 in.
    Front Leg Room: 43.7 in. Rear Leg Room: 38.2 in.
    Luggage Capacity: 16.6 cu. ft. Maximum Seating: 5

Zephyr:

Exterior
    Length: 190.5 in. Width: 72.2 in.
    Height: 55.9 in. Wheel Base: 107.4 in.
    Curb Weight: 3406 lbs.
    Interior
    Front Head Room: 38.7 in. Front Hip Room: 54.1 in.
    Front Shoulder Room: 56.9 in. Rear Head Room: 37.8 in.
    Rear Shoulder Room: 55.6 in. Rear Hip Room: 53.6 in.
    Front Leg Room: 42.3 in. Rear Leg Room: 37 in.
    Luggage Capacity: 15.8 cu. ft. Maximum Seating: 5

Yes,
    It is true that the Azera is slightly larger than the Zephyr. Not Towncar size larger, but it is bigger. I think the comparison is still valid. Especially since the MXZ will get a comparable motor in 2007.

The Azera topped out price for 06 is around 30,000 where the Zephyrs is around 33,000. I even read somewhere that the MKZ price for 07 will go up around $1000 or so.

That is a shame as it is making it harder to compare the two pricewise.
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    Hi. I don't own either of them, but I'll shoot my mouth off anyway.

I was very interested in the Zephyr when it first came out, partly because I simply have a jones for real wood, and the Zephyr has plenty of it. Unfortunately, from there on it's all downhill.

So, did you buy some competing mid-sized sedan, then?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    I will take the Azera over Zephyr. Here is why:

Less expensive but more value, features, equipment for the Azera. Comparably equipped, Zephyr is about $3-$5K more expensive than the Azera (Zephyr starts just under 30K, with the amount of money, you can easily get a loaded Azera and cash to spare). That 3.8L V6 (268hp) engine in the Azera sounds great, yet the interior cabin is so quite, even full-throttle (and quiter than the Avalon).

Side note: the back of the Zephyr gives me nightmare everytime looking at it...
  • carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    I purchased a 2007 Azera Limited after comparing to Lexus ES, Infiniti G35, Avalon and Acura TL. Also looked at the Cadillac CTS and Lincoln MKZ.
    Went with Azera. Better equiped for a whole lot less money, better ride than all except marginally the Avalon and ES (same car really). Much better warranty than all the others.
    Professional Reviews were much better than for any GM or FOMOCO car and equal to or almost to others.
    I am interested in seeing what they do with the MKS, since the Azera is really between the MKZ and MKS. The MKZ is a Ford Fusion!
  • drdonrsdrdonrs Member Posts: 164
    Bob,
    I did the same "due diligence" when I purchased my 06 Azzy. I actually had been leasing Acura TL's and first bought my 06 Sonata LX6 2 years ago. It is a low mileage car(I only have 8,000 miles) and has been absolutely trouble free. When 2nd TL (03) came off lease I bought the Azera for my wife in Aug. 06 and have 13,500 trouble free miles with the exception of a chipped veneer on steering wheel(replaced under warranty) and new front shocks. My service department is the best and the car is everything we could ask for. Never sorry, for a minute, to have switched to the "flying H".
    Don
  • oskidunker1oskidunker1 Member Posts: 213
    I noticed a chipped veneer on my steering wheel about a month after I bought my 07. Dealer, who has been very nice, told me that is not covered under the warranty and I would have to pay to fix it. Said I must have chipped it with a key.

How did you get this done and how did your chip occur?

Thanks
  • cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    Our steering wheel also has a couple chips which were undoubtably caused by a key, a ring, or whatever. The fact is, though, that such things occur as a matter of course - normal wear and tear. If the wheel veneer were not so d**n cheap the problem wouldn't be there.
  • jeyhoejeyhoe Member Posts: 490
    You get what u pay for, eh? Just think, you guys have 100,000 miles to find more stuff that isnt covered by the warrantee!
    8,200 miles on my Azera Ltd. with Ultimate pkg. and no chips on the steering wheel. don't wear my rings every day, but when I do, there is one on each hand. I drive in the new recommended position, 4 and 8 O'clock, and this leaves my hands on the leather part of the wheel.
  • snaglepussnaglepus Member Posts: 160
    :)

Recommended position? Are you sure. :confuse:

Didn't you mean "10 and 2 o'clock" position?

:D
  • hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    I think 8 & 2 is correct.
    If you use 10 & 2 position and the air bag goes off you will end up with two black eyes when your fists hit your head :=)
  • jeyhoejeyhoe Member Posts: 490
    "I think 8 & 2 is correct"

You should take another look at a clock.
    I've seen this said about the 10 & 2 position previously, but when I use that position (which is all the time), my hand and arms are not across the airbag at all. I've read that the 8 & 4 (which is what I think you meant) position is somehow superior, but I don't like it - I don't think it provides a good position from which to react in a hurry if that should be needed.

If you are using a position that allows you to react in in a hurry because you are more in control, seems like that's one good way to keep the airbags from doing damage to your body. :shades:

Note that I have not the slightest expertise in this topic - just speaking as someone who has been driving for more years than I'm choosing to admit at this moment. :blush:
  • hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    WOOPS.... I had a brain malfunction...
    I do drive at 8-4 position
    With modern car steering you don't have to move the wheel much to steer out most
    trouble.
    Because the way the air bag deploys you are more likely to be hurt by your arms
    hitting you in the 10-2 position. I read about this in car mag. a few years ago
    Read it in a Parade Magazine article a few months bag. It tends to keep your arms from being across the steering wheel in case the air bag deploys.
    It is actually how I have always driven as I find it more comfortable anyway. This keeps your hands on the leather part of the wheel and off the plastic "wood."
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    Maybe this will help:
    ----------

Where to put hands on the steering wheel?
    By Gary Richards

From the first day in driving school, this lesson is drilled into our heads: Firmly grip the steering wheel in the 10-2 position. Now, law enforcement agencies are training officers to place their hands lower on the steering wheel, and some drivers' groups are changing position on hand position.

For more than a year at the San Jose, Calif., Police Department, the recommended hold has been 9-3. The American Automobile Association also prefers 9-3. For the California Highway Patrol, the position can be as low as 8-4. "My daughter came back from driving class and said they were teaching her to hold the wheel at 10-2," said Robert Sepulveda, a San Jose officer who has trained new cops in proper driving techniques. "I told her that's not what we teach . . . that 10-2 is inappropriate."

The 10-2 position is the traditional favorite because, in theory, a higher grip allows a driver to keep the car running smoothly without needing to jerk the wheel suddenly if he is cut off or there is a hazard in the road. But air bags are changing that equation. During a collision, the bag will explode out at more than 100 mph, protecting the driver's head and chest from slamming into the front of the vehicle. With the hands at 10-2 or higher on the wheel, a driver's arms can get walloped or thrown back into his face if an air bag deploys.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration takes a neutral position on the grip, saying there is not enough evidence of arms or wrists being broken by exploding air bags to recommend 9-3 over 10-2 or anything else. However, the agency does say that the arms of drivers holding the steering wheel from the side are not as likely to be caught between their bodies and the air bag.

At this point, most position changing is happening in law enforcement. Although the California Department of Motor Vehicles says it has no preferred position, many local driving schools say the DMV tells them to teach motorists the 10-2 grip. "It's 10-2 according to their 2001 handbook," said Ruth Zimmer, owner of Advantage Driving School in San Jose. "Of course, the DMV is always three years behind."

Many drivers do not heed any of the recommended positions as they cruise down a freeway. Some prefer the 10-and-a-drink position or the 1 o'clock only hold. "I'm bad. I'm bad. I know that," said Donnae Youngman, a legal assistant in Palo Alto, Calif., who usually rests her left arm on the window side while the right arm grips the bottom of the wheel. "If something crops up on the road when I'm driving, I'll go back to 10-2. But now they don't know if that is right?" That's right.

"I can help stir things up even further," said Steve Schwab, the police chief in Morgan Hill, Calif., who recently sent his officers to an emergency vehicle operations course in Alameda County where the recommended position was 7-5. "The reason is to ensure that if they crash and the air bag goes off, the driver's arms are pushed down or out, not up," the chief said. "But keep in mind that all this controversy about hand positions is targeted toward training drivers of emergency vehicles in high-risk situations."

For the CHP, 10-2, 9-2 or 8-4 are all approved positions. The reason: "All vehicle steering wheels and air bags are not created equal," said Pete Barra, public information officer for the CHP's Bay Area division. "Not to mention the comfort level of the driver's hand position."

But Gordon Booth, owner of Drivetrain in Willow Glen, Calif., doesn't go along with the idea that lower is better. "I don't think there is one catch-all hand position," he said. "If you are in fairly heavy traffic, I would disagree with anything less than 9-3. I much prefer 10-2 or even 11-1.'

----------

http://www.smartmotorist.com/driving-guideline/hands-on-the-steering-wheel.html

Come to think of it, maybe it doesn't help!... :shades:
    LOL. Thanks. I think. :shades:
This discussion has been closed.