Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda 5 vs Kia Rondo

Comments

• nissmazlovernissmazlover Member Posts: 162
    Thanks, Maltb! I agree. Those two responses were definitely pretty empty.

Considering how detailed I was in my post, I thought I would get much more intelligent, objective and detailed responses. But, I guess I was hoping for too much.

I take it you're a 5 owner?
    I agree with your statement about polarizing views in forums. Thanks for that.

I didn't get to drive an EX model. I rented a silver LX, 4-cyl, 7seater model. But, in all curiosity, is the EX really that much nicer? I mean, I'm sure it would offer more options, but does it also come with important things that would truly make it a better car (like an upgraded suspension; retuned steering and brakes, more comfortable seats, better interior materials, etc.)?

The Rondo also offers a 6-cyl engine, but, besides its subpar fuel economy and refinement compared to the 5, I didn't find fault with the 4-cylinder. I still liked the engine! There were just too many other things I didn't like about the Rondo LX. (I can't imagine how much worse the economy would be with the 6.)

The Mazda 5 Sport is still the same great car as the Grand Touring version minus some frills - still offers the same great engine, 5-speed auto w/manual function, suspension, steering and brakes and even rims, cruise control and an auxiliary port(!). So, choosing a Sport over a GT just comes down to whether or not leather, sunroof, bluetooth, HID/LED lights, auto wipers, etc. are that important to you, you know? For me, it was. I have a GT. But, again, no concessions need be made about the Sport since it's the same car. If what you and others are saying about the difference between an LX and an EX of the Rondo is true, than the same can't be said about the Rondo - and that sucks for LX owners

And I am totally a huge fan of the 5's sliding doors! They are SO convenient and easy to use! They open up real wide and offer a level of practicality in them that the Rondo can't provide...especially with kids! Good point! Love them, too.
    Again, sorry, but if someone TRULY needs a vehicle that will regularly seat 7 people comfortably, the Rondo is a poor choice. I've experienced its supposed "7-seat capacity" and it is dismal. Four adults with two small children at most will be comfortable in the Rondo, which is basically the same for the M5 - though the 5 offers much more comfortable, separate captain chairs for the two adults in the middle. If one needs a vehicle to comfortably fit 6 to 7 people on a regular basis, one should go for a regular-sized minivan, or larger crossover vehicle, not a Rondo or even an M5.

As far as towing goes: I mean, really. How many people really tow? What percentage of the american car owner population uses their car for towing? It can't be a whole lot. I can't speak for the area in which you live, but here in NY I hardly ever see anyone towing anything. So, the fact that the M5 isn't rated for towing is a moot point for most people.
  • kubaskubas Member Posts: 13
    I believe it was just plain water. I also read a few Rondo user opinions who had the exact same problem. Nevertheless i was looking for the leather so it was no big deal to me, but I thought it might be for someone else.

There is another factor I forgot to mention before, why I decided to go with the M5. I called my insurance agent and asked him for the quotes for both the Rondo EX and M5 GT. The quote for M5 was almost 300$ less (I live in MA and the insurance rates suck).
  • bgwbgw Member Posts: 116
    Egad, my tongue-in-cheek reply to Nissmazlover sure put a bug up his butt, didn't it?

"The fact that the M5 isn't rated for towing is a moot point for most people" - it was not a moot point for me.

You have to stop putting words in other people's mouths, nissmazlover. Oh wait, I suffer delusions, apparently...

I love my Rondo, which is better in every respect than your M5.
    You love your M5, which is better in every respect than my Rondo.
    'Nuff said.
    Oh by the way, nissmazlover, this thread is in the Rondo forum too...
    "Moot point for MOST people".

"I love my Rondo, which is better in every respect than your M5" = Delusion :P
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    love my Rondo, which is better in every respect than your M5.
    You love your M5, which is better in every respect than my Rondo.

I own neither, but have tested both, and I think it's more than just one person's opinion that the driving dynamics are better with the Mazda5, as is the MPG. One can argue about the interior quality, but most people and reviews I've read indicate that the Mazda5 is better, and the Mazda5 just won a car interior award (just Google Mazda5 interior award).

Now if I needed to tow and needed 7 passenger capability, I wouldn't buy the Mazda5 but I'm not in that category, but I guess you are...
    I love my Rondo is a delusion?
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    As poster earlier by bobw3:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/mazda5-earns-wards-autoworlds-interior/sto- ry.aspx?guid=%7B3A544BCB-0904-4874-A92F-76C390DF4E1F%7D

IRVINE, Calif., June 4, 2008 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Coming on the heels of best-ever sales in April and May, the 2008 MAZDA5 has been named Ward's AutoWorld's "Interior of the Year" in the "Popular Priced Truck" category. Thirty-six outstanding vehicle interiors representing 13 manufacturers competed for top honors in the annual competition.

Over four weeks, members of the editorial staff of Ward's AutoWorld spent time with each finalist vehicle to evaluate its interior. Winners were decided by overall points earned. To be eligible for the competition, the vehicle or its interior had to be new for 2008. The MAZDA5 triumphed over competition from Nissan Murano, Saturn Vue, Ford Escape, Subaru Forester, Dodge Journey and Toyota Highlander, among others.

"We're honored to have won Ward's AutoWorld's 'Interior of the Year' award," said Jim O'Sullivan, president and CEO of Mazda North American Operations. "The MAZDA5 is proving to be exactly what consumers want -- a versatile, fuel-efficient vehicle that combines the functionality of an SUV with the ride and handling of a car. This is a great vehicle that hits right at the heart of the market, and promises to grow in popularity as fuel prices soar."

The three-row, six-passenger MAZDA5 is a multi-activity sports vehicle infused with sports car inspiration. The interior brags spaciousness and comfort. The stepped floor allows for more legroom for all especially those sitting in rows two and three. The second row has separate individual seats that slide, recline and fold flat, providing maximum versatility for passengers and cargo. The third row seats are split 50/50 and can be tilted forward individually and folded flat to create a flat load area. With the rear-most seats folded flat, carrying capacity is an enormous 44.4 cubic feet.

Interior storage is spacious and thoughtful, with multiple open and covered compartments. Flip the center-row seat cushions forward to access the under-seat storage or fold the tray down from the front-passenger-seat-back. Hide the things that make life more convenient in the center armrest or in a covered flip-out storage bin under the center-right captain's chair cushion. There's also an illuminated glovebox and half-liter bottle holders in each front door pocket, and even covered storage under the floor behind the third-row seat.

MAZDA5 is powered by a 153-horsepower 2.3-liter four cylinder engine and can be fitted with either a five-speed manual or five-speed sport-shift Sport AT automatic transmission. Priced from $17,995, the MAZDA5 is available in three trim levels -- Sport, Touring and Grand Touring.

Headquartered in Irvine, Calif., Mazda North American Operations oversees the sales, marketing, parts, accessories and customer service support of Mazda vehicles in the United States, Canada and Mexico through nearly 900 dealers. Operations in Canada are managed by Mazda Canada Inc., located in Ontario, Canada, and in Mexico by Mazda Motor de Mexico in Mexico City.

SOURCE Mazda North American Operations
  • garnermikegarnermike Member Posts: 72
    I've spilled water all over the upholstery of the car, and have USED WATER to get other stains out. My upholstery looks just fine.

I think folks who own either of these cars should stay on their respective car boards and talk up all the positives and negatives they want. Coming over to the opposite (non-owner) board just compells them to denigrate and forces defensive reations from others.
    This is both a Mazda5 and Rondo forum.
    When I go to my saved URL to get to this site, it reads, at the top:

"You are in the Kia Rondo Forum. Your Host is caliberchic"
    What is the title of this forum?
    Welcome to the interweb :D. Mine reads:

"You are in the Mazda Mazda5 Forum. Your Host is Karens"

Possibly the Edmunds server predicts what car you have or what car you are going to buy and automatically adjusts the location and host comment ;)
    "Mazda 5 vs Kia Rondo"

This is what is in orange letters as the forum title above all of the posts.
    Sigh...

No. Saying that the Rondo is better than the 5 in every respect is what equals DELUSION.
    Not "taking over" anything. Just informatively and politely responding to every post directed to me. It's called being courteous :P

And, "tongue-in-cheek reply"? Please. Ever heard of the term "backpeddling"?

Fact remains, you haven't sufficiently refuted any of the points made on how the 5 is superior to the Rondo, nor have you presented a good case in favor of the Rondo proving it to be better than the 5 - and that's simply because it's not, and there's no way around it.

Since this IS the forum section entitled "Mazda5 vs. Kia Rondo", I'd call this a TKO! The M5 wins! :blush:
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I have had 2, but now i have a CX-9. I loved my Mazda5; one of the most versatile cars I've ever had.

I also had a trailer hitch and regularly pulled a utility trailer with motorcycles or various weekend projects. I'd say it's easily rated for 2000lbs. (unofficially). In fact, Mazda Europe sells a hitch for it and rates it above 2000lbs. I think the reason the manual states otherwise is because Mazda NA didn't test for towing capacity. BTW, I still have that hitch if anyone is interested. :)
    Sigh...
    A notice to everyone on this thread - don't disagree with nissmazlover, he can't handle the fact that SOME people do prefer the Rondo over the Mazda5. Delusion or not.
    I have had enough of his insulting demeanor to those of us who purchased and (am I allowed to say it nissmazlover?) enjoy our Rondos.
    You want me to refute your points? They are your OPINIONS, not points. Opinions cannot be refuted, since Opinions are not wrong or right. Just like my opinions. Ooops, sorry, I am not supposed to have an opinion.
    And yes, my original reply to you was indeed "tongue-in-cheek", as I too liked the M5 when I test drove it. It just did not suit the needs of my family. Or am I wrong there too?
    Nissmazlover, I love my Rondo and you love your M5. Leave it alone will ya?
    Now who has a bug up their butt? ;)

Sorry, didn't mean to upset you so much, bgw. Relax and enjoy the forum, as well as your Rondo.

BTW, and this is not necessarily directed at you, but opinions CAN be wrong. Too much pc-ness can get ridiculous. What if some Kia owner out there thought that his Optima with leather seating was just as as luxurious as an S Class? Would his opinion be wrong? Of course. He would be entitled to his preference, but his opinion would still be wrong. Better is better regardless of preference.
    Wow, so you had TWO 5's and now a CX-9? Cool. At first, I had an '06 Charcoal Gray Mica 5 Touring, and then I traded up to an '08 Sunlight Silver Grand Touring and I love it even more. I was eyeing the CX-9, but that would have been too much for me. Congrats!

You're right, I don't see a reason as to why the 5 wouldn't be able to tow, considering many small economy cars out there can.
    Wow, so you had TWO 5's?

2? Really? That is freaky :P

image">
    ....in your life.
    No one who thinks so little of others' point-of-view could possibly show real courtesy or decorum.
  • gschulzgschulz Member Posts: 17
    maltb, I would be interested in the hitch if you still have it, if not can you tell me where you purchased it or where I might get another. Also would your hitch fit a 08?

Thanks- Gerry
  • bunchakidsbunchakids Member Posts: 6
    Wait.... Let me ask this. Where do I put the 5th kid in a Mazda 5?
    Member since June 15 with only 1 post? Sounds like a flame post, but...if you have 5 kids look under the Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna or Kia Sedona sections. With the 3 rows in use there is zero space left for so many people (Mazda5 or Rondo) so don't buy either one, your family will not enjoy that...
  • tmurphytmurphy Member Posts: 10
    Hey nissmazlover ... My Rondo is far superior to the mazda5 in size, versatility, comfort, warranty, etc. Felt claustrophobic in the mazda.
    But, thats just my "opinion". :)
    And it is still a KIA :( (just my opinion)
  • bunchakidsbunchakids Member Posts: 6
    sounds like a flame post? What on earth are you talking about? I traded in a Ford Excursion which got 10 mpg and could hold everything on the planet, to a Kia Rondo.

My kids are 13, 15, 6, 6, 3, if you doubt ( although I don't care ), and the kids and I absolutely love the car. We don't grocery shop with 5 kids, so we don't need a ton of extra space. Which no car in this class offers anyways.

Also, our particular decision not to spend 30k on a nice Minivan is ours, not yours, so don't tell me what post to be in or what car to drive.

Just admit it, the Mazda 5 has a poorly designed and conceived second row, and is a second rate car for those of us who don't fit your mold and want a minivan.
    ha ha ha ha ha ha ...and yours is a mazda
    You are right guys. I'm putting for sale my 2 (two, dos, deux) Mazda5s, you have convinced me with your opinions, owning that 7 seater KIA should be out of this world, and to add, its design makes it one of the most beautiful cars ever made, no doubt. I'm banging my head every day for my bad choices, how could I? :P
    Exactly, not a KIA :D
    In my opinion, if I had 5 kids and a limited budget, I'd buy a 3 year old Odyssey or Sienna over a Rondo. It's just hard to imagine going on vacation with 7 people and no luggage space, but then you can always put it on the roof for those occasions. Plus in the long run as the kids get older and bigger, a family may outgrow the Rondo and then you'll lose a lot due to Kia's depreciation if you need to sell it. Better to plan for a few years down the road then buy what looks the best today.

But if you have a need to drive 7 passengers then of course the Mazda5 is out of the picture. But I'd say that most folks in the market for a Rondo/Mazda5 sized vehicle are smaller families with 1-3 kids with no towing needs. For them, interior quality, driving dynamics, and mpg may outweith the Rondo's towing advantage and ability to carry 7. I'd like Honda to bring their 7 passenger Stream to the US to give even more competition to this category of vehicle.
    So, let me get this straight. Based on a few posts on an internet forum - entitled Mazda 5 VS Kia Rondo, btw - where I playfully dis on the Rondo and express my preference of the 5 (something one would do in such a forum) you feel you have a grasp as to how I am as a person and as to how I have behaved during my entire life? How judgmental and immature!

Moving on...
    Crazy...my previous 2006 5 was also Charcoal Gray, AND my second color choice was dark blue (but decided on sunlight silver). Cool.
    "I don't think that nissmazlover actually drove a Rondo. I think he is an armchair philosopher and nothing more, blowing off steam against a vehicle that is quite a bit better than an M5 for a lot of people, myself included. If he does drive one in the future, he'll have to eat his words and change his name to formermazlover...
    I have an 07 EX V6 Luxury, and disagree with all his negative comments energetically. Nissmazlover,I think you should ACTUALLY drive a Rondo, or maybe you are afraid you will like it? Yes, the M5 is a nice vehicle, really nice for that matter. See, I can be objective too."

Please see attached pics (hope they come out since I've never done this before). It took me a while to get these from my friend, but I just HAD to post them. The guy in the green is me (hey, all!) (do you see the Rondo behind me?), and the two hands/arms inside of the Rondo belong to me and my wife. Will you now argue that this "armchair philosopher" went to the extent of photoshopping the Rondo into the pictures?
    Size? (So because something is bigger it makes it better? Hmmm...maybe that's why the Rondo gets worse gas mileage than the 5)
    Versatility? (Sorry, but the SUPER convenient sliding doors and the secret under seat storage compartments in the 5 alone add a measure of versatility to the 5 that the Rondo can't match)
    Comfort? (So, a harsh yet floaty ride, frequent bottoming out of the suspension, excessive body roll, loud road noise, cheaper and harder interior materials, and less comfortable seats equals to more comfort for you? OK)
    Waranty? (You DO know why Kia HAS to offer a longer warranty, right? Come on, you HAVE to know. This may be an advantage the Rondo has over the 5, but with a BIG caveat.)

But, thanks for sharing your opinion. :P That's what this forum's all about.
    Good gosh, nissmazlover. You get so offended when someone gives an opinion contrary to yours.
    What you are saying about the M5 and Rondo are just your opinion, not facts. You need to calm down a bit. Take a pill.
    My opinion is that if you switch "5" with "Rondo" in everycase above, then you have it correct. But that's my opinion.
    Anyway, the 5 is a very nice vehicle, and the Rondo is a very nice vehicle. You drove a Rondo and did not like it; you drove an M5 and liked it enough to buy it.
    I drove an M5 and thought it was OK but not enough to buy it; I drove a Rondo and loved it. I have no experience with an LX or a 4 cyl, but my EX V6 is an excellent car for my family's needs. I have owned Honda's, Subaru's, Mitsubishi's, Fords, Dodges and Chev's, and the Rondo is the better of all of them. For us. For now.
    Next time, maybe it will be a different vehicle that suits our needs.
    The M5 fits your needs. Can't you leave it at that? Enough with the hating!
    what made you buy the rondo over the 5?
    Bobw3,
    In Aug last year, we were looking to replace our beloved 1998 Legacy Brighton wagon with a vehicle that was at least as practical as the Subaru, but not as large as a mini-van. We shopped Subaru again, but could not reach an agreement on a fair trade price.
    After looking seriously at a number of vehicles, we narrowed our choices down to two - a 2007 Mazda 5 and a 2007 Kia Rondo EX V6. We really liked the M5, especially it's sporty demeanor, it's 5 sp manual and it's fuel economy, but we did not care for it's rather stark interior, it's thin and unsupportive seats and it's inability to tow (the manual warned against towing).
    We chose the Rondo for it's efficient use of space, it's smoothness and quiet highway ride, it's almost overload of safety features (6 airbags, stability control, electronic brakeforce distribution, anti-whiplash headrests, etc, etc) and the lovely V6. We also liked it's exterior design more than the M5 (which is a good looking car too) and the interior as well, with lots of child-resistant surfaces and comfy leather. In all, price for price, the Rondo offered more than the M5.
    That said, if we had chosen the M5 I am sure we would be content with it (despite not being able to tow), but the Rondo has proven to be the ideal vehicle for us, and has had no issues in 14,000km other than an insistent Check Engine Light early on (we were not twisting the gas cap enough, we discovered). The fuel economy has been waaay better than expected, with 33 mpg on the highway consistently (that's with 2 adults,2 kids and a load of stuff aboard), at 115km/h. Our Legacy 4 cyl 5-speed could only manage 32 mpg...
    Friends of ours have Rondos and M5s, and all enjoy their vehicles. In all, two great little cars that, regardless of which is chosen, should be bought by more people, rather than larger, less-efficient vehicles that in many cases, can carry no more than the M5 or Rondo (name any mid-size SUV, for example).
    An M5 would be for the more sporty-minded. A Rondo is for the more comfort-minded.
    What do you own, bobw3? (My own daily beater is a 1998 Escort wagon 5-sp and a 1985 Suzuki GSX-R750).
  • conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    Just to set the record straight, the Rondo you rented in Puerto Rico based on your comments it bares no resemblance to the 2008 Rondo EX model that I own. In fact I can hardly believe we are talking about the same vehicle!

First, the Rondo you tested is a rented vehicle, so my first thought what is the mileage on this vehicle and how well has it been looked after. You want facts so here they are:

First disappointment: The LX didn't have an Aux port
    Fact – aux port is standard on the 2008 models.

Second disappointment: none of us found the seats truly comfortable and their material seemed cheap
    Fact – the EX has upgraded material, I find them comfortable and have had no staining problems.

Third immediately apparent disappointment: the steering. It was HORRIBLE! It felt like a rubber band
    Fact – not exactly sure what you mean by this, but I find the steering precise and very direct and the leather wrapped steering wheel comfortable to hold.

since the Rondo's turning circle was significantly larger than that of the 5's
    Fact – not true, lock to lock: M5 - 2.9 , Rondo – 2.9; turning circle: M5 – 34.8’, Rondo – 34.4’

We were all in agreement in saying that the suspension outright SUCKED
    Fact – I find the suspension a bit on the hard side (probably because the car is so new), I’ve had four adults and luggage with no bottom out problems and soaks up bumps and potholes with no problem.

The handling also left MUCH to be desired…………………… the Rondo rolled heavily and just couldn't keep up with any speed through any curve or corner or turn. NO fun driving this thing at ALL!
    Fact: I find the suspension tight and handles sharp corners with ease with very little lean and certainly no roll. I was surprised on this due to the height of the vehicle. It’s a lot of fun to drive and we enjoy the driving dynamics of the Rondo very much.

Another disappointment, even though I had the LX 4 cylinder, the fuel economy was disappointing. The 5 definitely gets better gas mileage AND it is SIGNIFICANTLY noticeable! We drove a mix of city and highway and the Rondo, with a full tank of gas, couldn't reach 300 miles of travel, whereas with my 5 that is a regular occurrence
    Fact: you are comparing a fully loaded Rondo (you stated 7 people) to your M5 at home where you don’t carry that much all the time (and can’t cause it only carries six) – so not a fair comparison. My Rondo with the 2.4L gets good gas mileage, ranging from a low of 26mpg (imperial) in the dead of winter to a high of 39mpg, with my average being in the 31-32mpg range.

Another thing we definitely missed: cruise control. The Kia didn't have it. I thought this would have been standard in such a supposedly "well-equipped" car at a low price. Whatever!
    Fact: cruise control is standard on the EX model. On the M5 GS it’s not standard you have to get the GT model. However, to be fair the dealer said they would install it on the GS for about $700.

The 5's looks are so much better than that of the Rondo's, and it looks infinitely cooler and sportier.
    Fact: this is subjective, I have no problem with the looks of the Rondo and I think it looks great with the black trim against the Aqua silver paint job. The M5 is also a great looking vehicle.

I can't think of ANY advantage the Rondo has over the 5
    Fact: I’ll give you some of the reasons I picked the Rondo over the M5:
    - hinged rear doors, didn’t like the sliding doors even though they opened and closed easily
    - no door pockets on the rear sliding doors, good size ones on the Rondo’s and match the ones on the front doors with large bottle holders
    - had no need for the extra seating and preferred the 5-seater available on the Rondo
    - with the 5-seater Rondo I get a lot of extra under floor storage in the rear
    - we had to accommodate our large Golden Retriever and on the M5 with the seats folded down there was gaps around where our dog could catch a leg whereas the Rondo’s was a solid rear floor.
    - Did not like the black interior on the M5, however this has changed for the new models
    - To match some of the features offered on the EX Rondo you have to get the M5 GT model at thousands more. For example the EX Rondo comes standard with heated seats in the fabric model, whereas on the M5 you have to get the leather package on the GT to get it. I do not like leather in a car.
    - A very important safety feature, currently not available on the M5 and that is the Electronic Stability Control system – rated as one of the best safety features in a car since the advent of the seat belts. It has to be on all vehicles by 2012.
    - Leather wrapped steering wheel standard on the EX, again you have to go to the M5 GT model to get this.
    - Another 5-seater advantage, I can recline the passengers seat back and able to carry 8’ items without any problem.
    - Heated door mirrors standard on the EX, again you have to get the M5 GT
    - Fog lights standard on the EX, M5 GT model standard
    - Illuminated vanity mirrors standard on EX
    - Front windshield wiper de-icer standard on EX, n/a on M5
    - Greater head and foot room in the Rondo:
    Front legroom: Rondo – 41.3”, M5 – 40.3”
    Rear legroom: Rondo – 38.2”, M5 – 34.8”
    Front headroom: Rondo – 41.6”, M5 – 40.3”
    Rear headroom: Rondo – 40.2”, M5 – 39”
    - Overall more passenger space: Rondo - 107.8 cu.ft., M5 - 97.8 cu.ft.
    - Longer basic warranty and roadside assistance by two years!
    - Separate tailgate lock on the remote
    - One of my wife’s favourite items, handbag holder on the console on the passengers side
    - Greater visibility on the Rondo, the M5 felt more claustrophobic
    - Gas cap release on the door instead of the floor
    - Preferred the Rondo’s centre console with dual compartments and armrest and the fact the auxiliary jack and power plug is hidden in the lower compartment also no handbrake in the centre but out of the way giving more room in this area.
    - Overhead sunglass holder
    - On close inspection I felt the quality of the Rondo was higher (both dealers were next to each other, also they are both owned by the same auto group)

In summary, they are both fine vehicles, neither one is perfect – no vehicle is! They are both excellent MPV’s (multi-purpose vehicles) and easy on the pocket book and at the gas pumps. They have the field to themselves at the moment, but I guess maybe the new Dodge Journey maybe a contender, but if its built like the Jeep Patriot and Caliber’s I looked at, I wouldn’t hold my breath. I thought their build quality was terrible, absolutely no comparison.

Drive: 2008 Kia Rondo EX, 5-seater, 2.4L, auto, Aqua Silver with gray interior
    I think my conclusion stands after all :D...

Originally posted on Feb 07, 2008

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1013b6/287

After looking at all the responses for about a couple of years I have come to the non-expert conclusion that although the Mazda5 and the Rondo are functionally very similar it seems that they are not purchased by or they don't attract the same audience.

Mazda5 audience:
    Young families, small kids, the Zoom-Zoom component is key (i.e. low profile tires, handling, looks, even manual transmission). They are not too focused on extremely fancy amenities i.e. leather but more into more appealing exterior and interior (i.e. electroluminescent gauges, better designed dashboard, aux input) along with versatility to haul the family around (including sliding doors).

Rondo audience:
    More mature audience, no kids or no kids anymore, like comfort such as leather, V6 and superb sound, but no longer worried about how it looks (interior or exterior) as long as it is functional, oh and it needs to fit adults in the 2nd row seats. In summary: the comfort of a big car but in a compact model.

I won't go into details (again) about space and versatility and if one is better on here or there because there is no winning argument for 2 very different audiences. And the ones who have seen the space and seating versatility pics posted everywhere can attest on their own, no very long explanations needed.

There are of course audience exceptions to the rule, but that, in average, seems to be the case. I'm sure several will reply that is not true, but we are a small sample anyhow. My 2 cents
    Whad' I tell ya.
    I partially fit your Rondo audience profile (older, no kids to deal with anymore). But I preferred the LX I-4 for mpg reasons, and I don't care for leather in a car, nor the capability of its sound system. As for "looks", beauty is in the eye of the beholder---I kinda like the way a Rondo looks. Besides, I own 2 other georgeous cars, and 5 in all, so if any one car I owned was ugly, I wouldn't worry about those bad looks somehow reflecting poorly on me or my taste
  • radar1radar1 Member Posts: 25
    BQW,

Your post sounds pretty much the same as what I discovered while test driving these vehicles.
    I was looking for a replacement for our Focus hatchback and tested the M5, Rondo, and Subaru Outback wagon and Forester. I liked every one of them for different reasons. I had pretty much decided the Rondo was the one for us, but the Subaru dealer gave us such a great trade in on the Outback, that's what we got.
    Although I liked the M5, two items that made me wary of purchasing one was the "not recommended" towing rating in the USA, and the fact that they still haven't provided any USA crash test ratings after all these years.
    Only the Rondo and Subaru provide the manufacturers tow rating for my pop up camper. If I bought the M5 it would mean I'd have to get rid of the camper, (and even the small utility trailer I have) or be forced to keep my truck for towing.
    (My daily beater is a 2005 Hyundai Accent hatchback 5-sp 37 MPG)
    >>Although I liked the M5, two items that made me wary of purchasing one was the "not recommended" towing rating in the USA, and the fact that they still haven't provided any USA crash test ratings after all these years.

EuroNCAP crash results for M5 are much better than for the Rondo. As a matter of fact most of the korean cars who have 5 star ratings in the USA are rated 4 star only in Europe.
    Yeah, I don't own that many cars (I can only afford 2 ;)) but I rent a lot from work. Mazda has surprised me for its handling and finish for a car its price (even on the most basic trim, including people movers)

And yes, I have not rented a Rondo but I have rented from the KIA+Hyundai family and their handling and interior quality have turned me off. Same as when I rent cars like Chevy Malibus, Dodge Avengers, Toyota RAV4, Toyota Sienna, Chrysler T&C, Saturn VUEs and even a Chevy Impala SS

KIA+Hyundai family cars rented, decent engine and features but not impressed on handling nor finish:
    - Hyundai Sonata (twice)
    - KIA Rio

From Mazda. Rented, not fancy Ferraris but really liked:
    - Mazda6
    - Mazda3
    - Mazda MPV
    - Mazda5 AT. Believe it or not, I got one the other day and was OK, even AT

And as I posted earlier, I saw a leather Rondo on the rental area the other day, I honestly thought it was vinyl
    Kia Rondo - 4 stars

Front: 9
    Side: 15

Comments
    Front impact
    Although the drivers footwell did not rupture, there was extensive deformation and the clutch pedal moved rearward by 175mm, leading to a weak rating for protection of the driver's lower leg, feet and ankles. Structures in the dashboard presented a risk of injury to the knees and femurs of the driver and passenger.

Side impact
    The Carens scored maximum points based on the dummy responses in the side impact and pole tests. However, the driver's door became unlatched in the side impact and the car was penalised for this.

Mazda 5 (2005) - 5 stars

Front: 13
    Side: 16

Front impact
    There was heavy distortion and rupture of the driver's footwell in the frontal test. The pedals presented a risk of injury to the driver's lower legs. Structures in the dashboard represented a potential hazard to the knees and femurs.

Side impact
    The car scored maximum points for its performance in the side impact and pole tests.

NHTSA frontal test is conducted at 56 km/h (35 mi/h). EuroNCAP represents a more severe crash than the NHTSA test as it is performed at 64 km/h (40 mph) into an offset deformable barrier.
  • prndldriverprndldriver Member Posts: 21
    The new Forester 09 finally has all the safety features I was looking for and a better design than the clunky square look. I was justgetting down to figuring out good pricing and realizing I was going to have to drive up to Chicago to get a decent price.

Then I saw a Mazda 5 in the church parking lot and talked very briefly to the owners. Originally I had thought it was the Mazda CX-9, but realized it was smaller. While lots of auto writers are falling over backward with praise on the CX-9, the fact that it uses premium gas turned me off. Still the reviews intrigued me. So I have now been researching the Mazda 5 and have been pleasantly surprised. The lack of DSC sort of bothers me. The Forester has AWD and a higher ground clearance. These both are appealing when driving in Midwestern snowstorms.

So, how does the Mazda 5 drive in snow? How much smaller does it feel in interior sitting room than a Honda CR-V or similarly a Forester 09? (I think there's more cargo space in the 5, but smaller sitting space.) Does it bother anyone that these cars are so limited in sales it could be hard to get them repaired beyond the dealer? Or, is it possible to go to a Ford dealer as well? How much pep does the engine actually have? It smaller than the CR-V and I thought that lacked much stamina. That's why I was attracted, for awhile, to the Mitsubishi Outlander, but could not get a decent deal on that and some in the family thought it was cheaply made and had too many gadgets. Also, we're not a highly technical family and one of the appeals is that Subarus are reliable. We've had one for 15 years and are almost at 200,000 miles. The 5 is too new for long term reliability numbers, but what's been your experience?

I'm partially asking these questions because I am going to have to drive at least 50 miles just to test drive this thing (or hope that that family is back in church on Sunday...). Thanks for any help. I've found reading this forum interesting
This discussion has been closed.