Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda 5 vs Kia Rondo

Comments

• conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    Rondo - 807 units vs 764 for March '08
    Mazda 5 - 964 units vs 1,560 for March '08
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    Interesting for Canada, up north seems to be a KIA/Hyundai stronghold. I also found this, would that explain the difficulty to find 2009 models in the US dealerships? I'm not sure how they are counted in Canada:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/13/hyundai-and-kia-use-fleet-sales-to-boost-numb- ers/
  • dona83dona83 Member Posts: 67
    I'd just like to note that the Ford Aspire was actually a Kia made vehicle, and I've heard from people who own these cars that the only way to kill them is by getting into a horrific car accident, in which case the next to nil crash test ratings would likely kill you too. Hopefully the new Kias still have this level of reliability as the old Aspire with the added benefit of much safer vehicle designs, you really can't go wrong with a Kia.

EDIT: Seems the Aspire motor was a Mazda... go figure. Hopefully they kept a few engines to reverse engineer.

My wife and I really liked the Rondo but in the end we still love our clutch and stick shift, so the Mazda 5 won that battle. We're quite happy with our decision. =) The 5's super fun to drive and the versatile interior just can't be matched (except for the Rondo of course). Not quite the refined ride of the Kia but I like the sportier ride.
  • havilandhaviland Member Posts: 1
    I've owned both an 08 Rondo and an 07 Mazda 5. We drove the 5 for a year before it was totaled (everybody's okay, thanks.) Then we went shopping and the Rondo caught our attention. After a year with the Kia, here are my impressions of the two cars. The sliding doors on the Mazda are a definite plus. The Rondo's back doors are quite wide. Great for getting in and out. Lousy in a tight parking ramp. The Rondo rides smoother and significantly quieter than the Mazda. Mazda's obsession with putting 17 inch wheels and low profile tires on everything is silly. Nobody buys the 5 for zoom-zoom and you pay for it in bumps and grinds. You'll also pay for it (dearly) when you buy new tires. Stereo is better in the Kia. Individual seats in the second row make the Mazda a bit more versatile in cargo/passenger configuration but the Kid can actually carry three in the second row and seven overall. We have six grandkids. Advantage: Kia. The roof rack on the Rondo is kind of weird. The bars are an accessory but the rails are standard. The rails, however, are completely useless without the bars. You can't even strap anything to them so why not add 50-100 bucks onto the sticker price and include them? The factory rack for the 5, on the other hand, looks like steel girders on concrete blocks and the wind noise is horrendous. The problem with the Kia rack is that, in its stock configuration, you can't get the bars more than 21 inches apart! The front bar won't even come as far forward as the middle of the back door! Carrying a 16.5 foot canoe or a few 4x8 sheets of plywood is real nail-biter. The value/resale argument (expect to hear it from your Mazda dealer) is, of course, based on the depreciation of past vehicles. Kia has definitely improved quality and that, plus the big warranty, has improved perception and, therefore, value. Time will tell. At 6'2" I find the Kia's seating position for the driver to be more comfortable, even on short runs. That of course, is very individual. I do believe, however, that the Kia seats are superior. Overall, I don't think there's a wrong choice here. Both are well thought out, sell designed vehicles. Think about what and who you'll be hauling and what's most important to you. Take each one for a good, long test drive...at least half an hour. None of this five minutes around the block with the salesman yakking in the back seat stuff. By the way, there is a way to extend the spread of the Kia rack by removing a rubber strip and sliding the front bar forward.
    Nobody buys the 5 for zoom-zoom

No offense but that is incorrect, definitely a Rondo is for you then. Glad everybody is OK and you found the right car, good report and enjoy the grand kids!
    Nobody buys the 5 for zoom-zoom

Ha ha. Ha ha. The things I've done with my 5. The car loves to corner and I've tamed three of the local mountain roads so far. It's no Porsche for sure but it's still fun to drive, the 5-speed manual transmission is just absolutely made for this car, and sure the suspension is not as comfy as a Kia Rondo or Toyota Corolla's but then again the first thing I did with my Corolla was put stiff as heck springs on them to improve handling. The Mazda 5 is not as stiff yet still has great handling. Sorry if you don't enjoy driving anymore, the Rondo is a great car but don't claim that people don't buy the 5 for the zoom-zoom, if the 5 drove like any other minivan I would never have considered it in the first place! But alas it has a soul of a sports car and I love it!
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    ^-^-^

What he said x2. It is very clear why you drive the Rondo. You prefer comfort, functionality and bland looks. We Mazda5 owners prefer sporty handling, funtionality and sporty looks.

"Nobody buys the 5 for zoom zoom"

HA HA HA HA!
    ^^^ Yep! The Rondo is definitely a very comfortable and refined car, I would consider one when I'm like 60 years old or something, but right now I'm a parent with a mission: to prove that parenting doesn't have to mean giving up a love for driving!

And in my comment, I love my 5 speed manual Mazda 5 but nothing against the 5 speed auto Mazda 5s out there, we're still Zoom-Zooming!
  • nissmazlovernissmazlover Member Posts: 162
    I gotta agree with all the replies to your post. Sorry, but your assertion that no one buys the Mazda 5 for "zoom zoom" is totally off the mark.

I would have never considered the 5 if it weren't for its good and sporty looks, sporty intentions and driving demeaner and youthfulness, in addition to its practicality. I feel my 5's steering feel is perfect. It handles like a dream - a sporty one at that - AND it fits my family's needs perfectly (married father with two 9 year old boys). We all couldn't be happier with our car and it's sportiness and looks. So, yes, it's "zoom zoom" was/is a DEFINITE factor (my wife hates minivans, but she loves the 5, and very much disliked the Rondo because of its "uncool minivan-ness").

I'm really glad you're happy with your choice to drive the Rondo. More power to you! :) But, honestly, all this talk about the Rondo's "comfortable ride" has perplexed me. I, extensivlely, drove a 2007 Rondo for over a week and didn't find the ride to be superior to the 5's in the least. No offense, as we all are able to express our opinions in this forum, but I found the Rondo's ride to be very cheap feeling and misleading. At first, the ride seemed to be comfortable until you come in contact with bumps, potholes, speed bumps or dips in the road. Then, all that supposed "comfort" went flying out the window as the suspension felt harsh and cheap, and let all the unfiltered vibrations into the cabin - especially with a full load of passengers who all complained that their butts, literally, hurt after a long trip because of the harsh ride (characteristics my 5 does not exhibit at all). Mazda 5's ride may seem firmer at first, but you soon find it's, in actuality, more cosetting than the Rondo's - PLUS, it delivers better handling. Side note - I also noticed a slight but noticeable difference in ride quality between my 2006 5 and my 2008 - 08 rides better and feels more refined.

Another side note: To the person who alluded to the fact that a 60 year old should drive/consider a Rondo. No fair! Let's not generalize with the mature folks that way. My mom's 60 years old and still very much enjoys driving and appreciates my 5's "zoom zoom". :blush:
  • davidfehrdavidfehr Member Posts: 6
    When I first owned my Mazda 5 I was given the opportunity to test drive a Rondo for a number of months - free. Not the greatest styling but a much more robust and drivable vehicle than the Mazda.

My family hated the Mazda. When it wen,t I got a Kia. I am much happier than I was with the 5. Mine was definitely a lemon. I would never indulge myself with a Mazda again. Sorry the Mazda 5 just has no guts and it is not utilitarian enough to be really used as a van.

It has not found a niche yet and before it does I imagine it will go out of production. You can read about mine and my experience with Mazda Credit Corporation, http://vaselinerequired.blogspot.com/
  • kivokivo Member Posts: 64
    I'm 63 years old and bought a 2008 Mazda5 about 1 year ago. Although the miles I put on it is very low, I also feel the car handles very well and the steering is perfect. I think the suspension does an acceptable job handling the bumps, and it has plenty of power (of course, there is never more than 2 in the car at one time) but I do have a scooter lift and an electric scooter in the back at all times. So far, a great car!
    Wow, sorry that you had a lemon and such a bad experience with your 5! A lemon, keep in mind, can come out of any manufacturer - included the vaunted ones, Honda and Toyota.

As for me, I have had two 5's, and with the exception of the suspension crunching I experienced in sub-freezing weather in my first 5, they have both been blissfully trouble-free and reliable.

As for not being able to use the M5 as a van, um...it's kinda not designed to be used as an outright van. If someone does want van utility they'd be much better served with a regular-sized minivan such as a Caravan, Quest or Odyssey, not the 5 or a Rondo. However, as far as carrying the ocassional large loads, I have yet to encounter a problem with my 5. It can handle all four of us, plus A LOT of stuff - a lot more than any conventional family sedan could - with the utmost ease. And I think that is the point of the 5 - more utility than a regular family sedan, but less so than a huge "mini" van. My family and friends have all been amazed at the capacity the 5 has and we often find ourselves saying: "Never underestimate Max!" (That's the pet-name my kids gave our 5 since we all love it and it's ironic how such a small mini-minivan can do so much!)

Hope your Rondo brings you years of enjoyment!
    It really is amazing to me how different human beings can be from one another. And I mean that in a good way! This is a perfect example.

Whereas you found the Kia's seats to be more comfortable, I find it to be the exact opposite for me. The Rondo's seats made my sciatica ridden back hurt after long trips. At first, they seemed cushy, but boy did that change after a little while! In the 5, though, I can sit happily all day in all four captain chairs, not just the front seats!

As far as the stereo system goes, I actually thought the Rondo did deliver great sound, too - on par with my 5 since I think it has a great sounding system, too. Difference being that when I rented the Rondo, it didn't have an aux port, wheres my 5 did/does. (Don't know if Rondos come with AUX ports now, though.)
    I feel exactly the same about the seats in the 5, I can sit in them for hours. My 2008 Corolla had nice seats too as long as I didn't sit in them for over an hour, otherwise my legs and lower back would start acting up. The 5's seats feel a bit flimsy and it's not the most cushioned but boy do they do the job!

Sorry about the 60 year old comment, I just threw an arbitrary number out there! I just can't fathom the day where I would no longer enjoy driving in Zoom-Zoom fashion.
    Rondo - 1,024 (1039 for '08)
    Mazda 5 - 959 (1735 for '08)
    To be honest with the name of that site you have posted here Mazda may not want you to buy or lease a car back from them either :) (BTW, the link seems blocked)

Best of luck, we hope you get a better deal (car/money) in the future
  • gearhead1977gearhead1977 Member Posts: 15
    Just picked up a new 08 GT Mazda 5. The driving dynamics of the Mazda are far superior to the Rondo. The sliding doors work better in our narrow garage and the Mazda interior is nicer IMHO, although the Kia isn't bad really. The Mazda is OK on power, but I do wish it had more. The engine revs smoothly and quickly, so it doesn't feel slow, except above 75 mph or climbing a steep hill. But since it corners so well, I don't have to slow down much and can keep the momentum up through the corners. The V6 in the Kia was a bit coarse sounding too.

The 50 series tires on 17 inch wheels will be painful to replace cost wise. But the "Zoom-zoom" factor makes it worth it.

Never had a Mazda either, so I wanted to try out the brand. As soon as I drove the 5, that was it for the Kia. I had an 01 Hyundai Elantra before, it was fine, but it was a driving appliance, not a drivers car. It was so boring to drive, I traded for a an 01Ford Focus ZX3 and never looked back.

For us, the Mazda was the best overall combination of fun,function and value. :shades:
  • go59go59 Member Posts: 9
    Off subject, but exactly how do you remove those rubber strips? They appear to be fastened at the front. Cut them?

Thanks,

Greg
  • tourist1292tourist1292 Member Posts: 31
    I have test driven a 09 Rondo LX 4-cyl, 09 Mazda5 GT, and a 08 Rondo EX V6. The engine noise of the first 2 were about the same while the EX V6 is significantly less noisy up to 75mph. We got a quote for a 09 Mazda5 Touring at around the same price of a loaded 08 EX V6. The main reason we choose the Rondo EX is actually for the seats. The Mazda5 has 4" less overall leg room than Rondo. My teenager daughter can barely fit in the 3rd row of Mazda5 when there is an average person sitting in the 2nd row. That means the 3rd row will become useless for me very soon. Besides the extra seat in Rondo, the kids are feeling much more comfortable sitting in the back row which would make a long trip more enjoyable for the parents..
    Hmmm, let's clarify those 4" (4.1" to be precise) of overall extra legroom:

1st, 2nd and 3rd legroom dimensions:

Rondo: 41.3+38.2+31.3=110.8"
    Mazda5: 40.7+35.2+30.8=106.7"

I would appreciate the 3" 2nd row difference (which is of no use for me as I have 2 rear facing car seats and the individual captain chairs' back seat reclining is more critical to me, but 0.4" extra in the 3rd row can really make a difference? :confuse:

http://autos.yahoo.com/2009_mazda_mazda5_sport-specs/
    http://autos.yahoo.com/kia_rondo_ex-specs/
    Don't forget that you can slide the 2nd row seat forward to make room for the 3rd row. So you can transfer part of that 3" extra leg room to the 3rd row and that makes a big difference in the usefulness of the 3rd row.
    And you can do exactly the same with the Mazda5, plus you have the extra space in between the 2nd row seats to stretch a leg or so when needed, like my dad just did today during a trip to the museum as he had surgery recently (6 passengers, 2 car seats in the 2nd row). Again, I'm not sure I follow the logic with 1/2in extra here and 1/2in extra there (you may also be a not very tall driver, so that might help too), but hey, if that works for your family, that is a good thing, that is what matters :)
    I think you've missed the point. Yes, you can slide the seat in Mazda5, but there is still 4" less in total leg room. Tested with my family that my teenage daughter can barely fit in the 3rd row when my wife sit in the second row with the seat already adjusted in Mazda5. In Rondo, both my wife and my daughter got almost 2" more space. Of course, that may not be a problem at all for other family, but there is definitely a 4" difference in leg room between the 2 cars and that 4" EXTRA room can be distributed among the 3 rows in Rondo.
    That's it, I'm getting snipped after our 2nd kid.
  • kasikinkasikin Member Posts: 14
    Yeah that third kid - (we nikcnamed ours one too many) really makes things difficult! You need a vehicle that seats 7 if you want to take each kid and a friend somewhere. Gotta get a suite when the family goes on vacation, as most normal rooms have max occupancy of 4.......
    Wait a minute, the latest posts have made me slow thinking, or is a long weekend (in the US) ;)

3 kids + 2 parents + a friend = 7 passenger car needed? :confuse:
    I'm thinking coolmazda5 that you are not a mom. Mom duty = 1 parent, 3 kids, 3 friends (a friend for each kid) = 7 passenger car needed. Dad wants nothing to do with that crowd, so an eigth seat is not needed.
    No, but I own one and my wife owns one, so I would say that I qualify as a Mazda5 owner and daily driver, so no sexist thing here (these cars are not just for moms like in the 70's and 80's, times change you know?)

Dad-less, just mom, 3 children plus a friend each trip? :D

It is just funny that the Rondo owners just want to justify the extra 7th seat "as really a plus" with any type of weird passenger combo (what about the cat?), when it is not really the case in these type of cars to be honest, just get a minivan.
    Coolmazda you have a bizarre hostility to the Rondo that makes me wonder if one ran over your cat or something.....

The mom comment was not meant to be rude or sexist, condescending or whatever, but in my earlier post I said each kid and a friend and you came up with 6 - when I thought it was pretty clear what each kid and a friend meant - and think a lot of moms would have gotten what it meant as well. The fact that you think my taking my 3 kids, each with a friend, to a movie or a restaurant is a "weird passenger combo" is downright odd to me. Perhaps it is because your children are still in rear facing car seats. Which by the way, if my children were still in car seats the sliding doors on the 5 would be a huge plus for me.

I traded in a Honda Odyssey minivan for my Rondo. When my kids were younger, the minivan was wonderful. Now that they are capable of loading themselves into a vehicle, I wanted something smaller but something that still worked for the occasional (don't know where you came up with each trip?!?) times I take my kids and 1 friend each somewhere. If I didn't also really like the vehicle, I wouldn't have bought it but I do like it. ALOT. I'm sure the 5 is a fine vehicle as well, just didn't work for me.
    :surprise: the number of "you/your" and "I/me" wording increases and even letter capitalization comes up in the reply, yet I'm the bizarre hostile poster ;)

The reply is based on the general Rondo owner replies that I've seen here on this thread, nothing else. I actually believe the former Honda Odyssey ownership and comparo you provided gives a lot of credit to the response, which should be good for undecided owners-to-be I hope.

BTW, I don't like cats, they are too sentimental
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    is dumb. Young, love to drive vs. old and infirm loves comfort. Driving machine vs. appliance. Women discounted and demeaned. This whole back-and-forth is dumb and unnecessary. If people would simply tell the truth and QUIT TRYING TO SELL, this and other threads just like it would be much more useful to people. But, that's only my opinion and observation.

Let the bickering continue. :mad:
    I agree and apologize for being a part of the bickering. The one thing the bickering does show however, is that not all people agree on which of these cars is "better" and no one can tell you which one is better for you.

So to anyone considering these two cars, please go test drive them both. Spend as much time as you need in the cars and figure out what is important to you.

From my personal experience, when you have children in car seats, sliding doors are a godsend. So for some of you, that would be a plus for the 5. Alternatively, if you have 3 adolescents (as I do) or for any other reason often find yourself with a car/van full of kids, the extra seat is a plus for the Rondo.

To me, anyway, the rest of the differences are really subjective and what's a pro to one person could be a con to another. So get out there, see what's available and try them out.
    If you have one child car seat, either one is fine. The rear door on Rondo is huge and open to near 90 degree (if you have enough space). We used to have a 2dr hatch back when my daughter was born and we had to switch to a 4dr within a couple months. Rondo is much more car seat friendly than my previous 4dr sedan (higher seat, large door, more leg room). If you don't have the room to open the door widely, then Rondo shares the same problem with other 4dr sedans and the sliding door of Mazda5 is definitely a plus. If you have 2 child car seats, then you should go for the Mazda5 or you cannot access the 3rd row easily. By the time your kids graduated from car seats and becomes teenager, it is about time to get another car anyway.
  • jskayjskay Member Posts: 5
    Sounds more like people are sold on a slogan then a car. Gearhead sacrificed a 10 yr 100,000 mile warranty for less power and the ability to open doors in extremely tight places. I would rather buy a Rondo and park in normal situations and not worry about some [non-permissible content removed] hitting my car with his door.
    Congrats on paying more for ZOOM ZOOM! Good luck with your mazda's!
    The 5 and Rondo costs about the same, what are you talking about? It's good we have choice, and the Rondo seemed pretty nice but the deal breaker of the day was the lack of manual transmission on the Rondo. Whether people here get the 5 in auto or manual, it's still a fun to drive car either way that may not have a lot of power but since the 5 is good at cornering you don't have to slow down and speed up much anyway so. :P

Warranty means nothing if it dies at 100,001 miles. I got rid of my 91 Corolla last year with 225,000 miles on it.
  • larrytbmlarrytbm Member Posts: 10
    I agree that Mazda has done an excellent job selling the ZOOM ZOOM slogan. But if great handling was important to me, the M5 would not be my choice, and certainly neither would the Rondo. Zipping around in just about any car just hurts mpgs so I prefer the extra power of the V6 used only when beneficial. Both cars cost about the same. For me, the M5 has just one real advantage, the sliding rear doors. The Rondo carries 7 for those rare times I need seating for 7 w/o the terrible mpg penalty of a regular minivan. The Rondo absolutely carries more cargo than the M5 which is a much more critical need of mine. Finally, the 2nd row bucket seats on the M5 was a deal breaker for my needs, a large dog just won't ride well in a small bucket seat compared to a 60/40 split bench seat.
    The prices of the two can be very competitive depending on the options and incentives. I actually was quoted with a Mazda5 Touring and a Rondo EX within $100 difference. There is no manual transmission in Rondo, while it is available in Mazda 5 only at the entry Sport trim level which has very limited options (e.g. no moon roof, leather seat). It will be a big plus if they offer manual transmission at all trim level.
  • tsm280ztsm280z Member Posts: 30
    What if your car dies at 99,000 miles?
    I'll let you know. ;) I'm approaching 50,000 miles on mine.
    In Canada we can get the GT (equivalent to the US Touring model) with the optional Luxury (leather, heated seats, 6CD changer) and NAVI package with manual transmission. :) The only thing not available in Canada is the HID lights for some reason. But I decided to get an 07 GT (no leather or NAVI) 5MT instead for now, holding out for Mazda to figure out how to squeeze a 7th seat in there.

I figure 25% of all Mazda 5s were sold with manual transmissions in Canada.
    I think only GT trim level (not Touring) has the leather option in the US also but there is no manual transmission in the 09. Anyway, the 2007 Touring (not GT) trim in US did have manual transmission option.
    Rondo - 1,530 units (1,566 for '08)
    Mazda 5 - 1,197 units (2,072 for '08)
    Yea it's a shame. Manual is on the brink of death in the US and just barely hanging on in Canada.

Rondo - 1,149 (1,001 '08); YTD: 3,939 (4,234 for '08)
    Mazda 5 - 1,030 (1,509 '08); YTD: 3,728 (6,567 for '08)
    One of those few Mazda5 and Rondo analysis in one single article:

http://www.canada.com/family+wagons+provide+generous+space+flexibility/1703018/s- tory.html
    The Mazda5 made the list :shades:

Parents magazine and Edmunds.com revealed their annual list of Best Family Cars. Having tested essentially every vehicle in the marketplace, the experts selected 15 top models — three each in the budget, crossover, minivan, sedan and SUV categories. Each car was judged on safety, performance, interior, exterior and family friendly features.

In addition to analyzing, test-driving, and comparing specs, Parents/Edmunds.com took into account feedback from parents who own and drive these vehicles every day. All of the cars on the list are budget friendly — five start at under $20,000 and one checks in at under $15,000. The Best Family Cars of 2009 will appear in the June 2009 issue of Parents magazine on newsstands nationwide today.

According to the Parents/Edmunds.com survey, the 15 Best Family Cars are:

BUDGET
    Honda Fit
    Mazda5
    Volkswagen Rabbit

CROSSOVER
    Honda CR-V
    Toyota RAV 4
    Subaru Forester

MINIVAN
    Toyota Sienna
    Honda Odyssey
    Hyundai Entourage

SEDAN
    Honda Accord
    Chevrolet Malibu
    Mazda6

SUV
    Ford Flex
    Mazda CX-9
    Chevrolet Traverse

When it comes to combining family friendliness with value and performance, Honda was the leader: the Fit, Accord, CR-V, and Odyssey all made the Parents/Edmunds.com list. Reviewers raved about these models' spaciousness and thoughtful features such as convenient cup holders and steering-wheel mounted audio controls.

Mazda followed with three models, the Mazda5, 6 and CX-9 making the list, while Toyota and Chevrolet each had two models on the list. Nine of the 15 models are newcomers to the annually updated list.

"With the 2009 list, Parents and Edmunds.com made an extra effort to highlight the smartest, safest and most budget conscious cars," said Dana Points, editor-in-chief of Parents. "If your family is in the market for a new car, now is actually a good time because steep dealer discounts make this a buyer's market. This list plus our money saving car shopping tips will empower you with all the information you'll need."

According to the Parents/Edmunds.com Best Family Cars research, superior handling, efficient gas mileage and easy car seat installation are all "must haves" for parent drivers. The extras that won rave reviews from parents were storage related features, including bins under seats, easy to reach compartments in the dash and cup holders in the back seats. Remote start capability and multiple electronic plugs for portable electronics also impressed the reviewers and owners of the models on the Best Family Cars list.

"There are 340 new car models on sale this year, and busy families could undoubtedly use some help sorting through the choices to decide what is right for them," stated Edmunds.com editor-in-chief Karl Brauer. "As a parent myself, I feel sure that just about any family can find a car on this list that will serve their purposes well."

Source:
    http://www.edmunds.com/help/about/press/148466/article.html
  • larrytbmlarrytbm Member Posts: 10
    "According to the Parents/Edmunds.com survey, the 15 Best Family Cars are:

BUDGET
    Honda Fit
    Mazda5
    Volkswagen Rabbit

CROSSOVER
    Honda CR-V
    Toyota RAV 4
    Subaru Forester "

I looked at 5 of them and choose the Rondo instead because my views are different. As a satisfied owner of an '03 CRV, the new one was the standard to beat. But it was a little dissapointing, it lost some of the nice touches, a little noisey and unattractive interior (huge Titanium colored door handles don't fit the beige interior and too many different colors/textures). The Fit is even noiser with very cheap looking fabrics, especially for a Honda. The RAV4 was OK, nothing significantly good or bad, not the best interior design or engine/trans choices. The Forester was really noisey and rough riding with a very bland interior. The M5 didn't meet our specific cargo needs and the second row buckets just can't handle a 55 lb dog. Someone elses inputs are useful but never the final answer.
    2009 Kia Rondo LX V6. Overall Test Score: 76
    Highs: Ride, quietness, powertrain, access, versatility, controls, available third-row seat.
    Lows: Unsupportive seat, no telescoping steering wheel, suspension noise.

2009 Mazda5 Touring 4-cyl. Overall Test Score: 86
    Highs: Agility, ride, access, visibility, seats six, controls, value.
    Lows: Reserve power, road noise, no ESC.

Wagons and hatchbacks, highest test score: 86
    Wagons and hatchbacks, lowest test score: 49

Sources:
    http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/ConsumerReportsSnapshot.aspx?year=2009&make=Ki- a&model=Rondo

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/ConsumerReportsSnapshot.aspx?year=2009&make=Ma- zda&model=Mazda5
  • leckigleckig Member Posts: 2
    i read both reviews on consumer reports - I dont quite understand the way these cars are rated. If you read these reviews it seems like Rondo would actually get higher score.

I wish an explanation was given why 76vs86.
This discussion has been closed.