Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda 5 vs Kia Rondo

Comments

• igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    i read both reviews on consumer reports - I dont quite understand the way these cars are rated. If you read these reviews it seems like Rondo would actually get higher score.

I wish an explanation was given why 76vs86.

I've always used Consumer Reports along with other guides (mainly Edmunds) when car shopping. But it is irritating that they don't detail how they arrive at the overall score for a particular vehicle. All you see are those dumb little circles that are partially or completely filled in red or black....but no number values for comparison.

In the case of the Mazda5 (with a score of 86) and Kia Rondo (score of 76)-

Predicted Reliability- Kia (Very Good) is better than the Mazda (Good)
    Emergency Handling & Braking- Mazda (Very Good) is better than the Kia (Good)
    Acceleration- the V6 is slightly faster than the 4-cylinder Mazda, but the Mazda gets slightly better fuel economy.

I'm a Mazda fan (love my '06 Mazda3), but I don't see how those differences result in the Mazda5 ranking 10 points higher than the Kia Rondo?
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • leckigleckig Member Posts: 2
    neither of these is a sport car boys... I am amazed how some of you are being influenced by a marketing slogan - quite pathetic, really.

Personally, I like the Rondo better even though Mazda is more attractive from the outside in my opinion. Inside, Mazda looses - it just looks poorly made compared to Rondo and only two seats in the second row??? - this is just weird.

Well, good luck on your 1/4 mile track... in a station wagon, or a minivan, whichever way you want to call it.
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    You are right, these are no sports cars, but if you like driving and car dynamics then the Mazda5 supports its marketing slogan extremely well for the type of car it is.

Now, if you just need a people hauler to move you from A to B, then no argument on your rationale I guess.

I enjoy driving, like car dynamics and have driven both cars, so I can tell there is no Mazda marketing ploy, there is a world of difference between both. The way I see it is: with the Mazda5 is not how fast you get from A to B, it is how much more fun you had when getting there :D

As per the Rondo being more attractive from the outside than the Mazda5, you are right, it is your opinion, I won't argue that
  • vg33e powervg33e power Member Posts: 314
    Looks are subjective.

....for me the Mazda5 takes it all the way, and I have to side with coolmazda5...its not how fast you get there but how fun it is to get there..another one for the Mazda5.
  • stewpidasostewpidaso Member Posts: 45
    I have that magazine those are road test scores. The mazda5 corners and handles a little better.
  • stewpidasostewpidaso Member Posts: 45
    we bought an 08' new rondo a few months ago we like it, also liked the mazda5 we test drove. got a great deal on a new 08' rondo lx v6 for 15k otd. I would have prefered the mazda5 because of the sliding doors but couldn't look past the great deal on the rondo. They are both good cars another car we liked was the nissan rogue very quiet and smooth. my $.02
  • 93949394 Member Posts: 74
    i'm not able to pick a winner after reading this forum, i believe i must test drive both, however, a test drive is only 10, 15 minutes,

does anyone (or family) have both Rondo and 5 under the same roof (or close friends/relatives) and can provide a fair comparison, based on a slightly longer term.

thanks!
    2016 eSoul - All Electric - Zero Emission
    does anyone (or family) have both Rondo and 5 under the same roof?

Damn, you might be asking for too much, I do believe they are mutually exclusive ;). But if you read a couple of pages back I believe there is one person (or more?) who have owned and sold a Mazda5, then got themselves a Rondo, that might help...
  • tourist1292tourist1292 Member Posts: 31
    They would have sold more Rondo if they are shipping more. Weeks of waiting drives people away.
    ...and if they were better looking......lol

Sorry I just had to say it!
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    They would have sold more Rondo if they are shipping more. Weeks of waiting drives people away

Mazda has the same problem. There is no inventory of the Mazda5. This is the second year in a row that the demand is greater the the supply.

I have a 13 person wait list for a Mazda5, and I have not been able to order 2010's yet!
    i wonder if KIA was producing less because of the economy downturn, so it is a good sign, may be the economy is recovering faster than i thought it would.
    I just tried a couple of Autotrader new car searches in 2 random US locations (opposite coasts):

Location 1 (50mile radius):
    2009 Mazda5s available: 11
    2009 Rondos available: 22

Location 2 (50mile radius):
    2009 Mazda5s available: 8
    2009 Rondos available: 12

I do believe it is not a low supply, but maybe the new KIA line-up attracting some of the Rondo's target market buyers: the Soul and the Forte (especially the Soul as a 5-seater "wagon"). KIA as a brand is doing well, just some of its models didn't
  • ldislerldisler Member Posts: 83
    I think the CFC has helped the 5 more then the Rondo. The 5 is considered a cat1 truck and qualifies for $4500, the Rondo is a passenger car and in most cases only gets $3500. Got my 5 two weeks ago and love it so far. First full tank 26 MPG in mixed driving.

Plus the 5 is better looking.
    Good point, I believe CFC is mentioned in the Mazda press release link posted earlier. cat1 truck, huh? that makes sense :D
    Coolmazda5....

So what do you think? Our Mazda5's are not cars but are not really mini-vans. They are not SUV's because they do not classify as that type of vehicle so therefore they do not come standard with privacy glass. Most people call them wagons but they raise contraversy because it has slider doors like a mini-van...which is not, and now the government for the sake of CFC categorizes it a cat1 truck...WTF!

So our Mazda5's can be a car, a mini-van, an SUV, a wagon, and now a truck...lovely!!

Man, talk about Mazda making a ripple on a calm pond....and I love it!
    The problem is that most, if not all, the available Rondo are LX and not the more desired EX trim. 10 out of 11 Rondos at my dealer right now are LX that has no 3rd row seat and moon roof option. In other words, most of the Rondo left are 5 seaters that are not competitive model for Mazda5. Dealers have been receiving mostly Soul and Forte in the last few shipments. On the other hand, the current inventory reflects the outcome of cash for clunkers. Rondo has both 4-cylinder and V6 models, but only the I-4 is eligible due to the 1mpg difference. Whereas Mazda5 only has 4 cylinder models and they are all eligible for the cash voucher.
    So it seems that in this case KIA is being bitten back by offering way too many options for a single model nowadays. That was its strength in past months however.

Oh well, I hope the Rondo and the Mazda5 stay in the KIA and Mazda line-ups in the US for the next generation, competition is always healthy (those KIA numbers don't help today though, the Rondo is just ahead of the Borrego and the Amanti in numbers for July 09)
    Sure it is good to have more optional line-ups within the same model if they can deliver the them too. I guess Kia's manufacturing capacity is really limited that they have to cut down the production of Rondo to make the new Soul and Forte. Anyway, let's hope that there will be more competitive models by other manufacturers in this niche.
  • conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    been away for over six weeks, thanks coolmazda5 for the US figures. These are the Canadian market:

Rondo: 979 ('08 - 1,066) YTD: 5,848 ('08 - 6,236)
    Mazda 5: 1,017 ('08 - 1,162) YTD: 5,709 ('08 - 9,010)

I guess it won't be too long before we start finding out about the 2010 models, usually in Canada its late August or early September.
    August 2009

Canada:
    Rondo - 967 (1,087 in '08); YTD - 6,815 (7,323 in '08)
    Mazda 5 - 972 (747 in '08); YTD - 6,681 (9,757 in '08)

USA
    Rondo - 1,259 (3,508 in '08) YTD - 11,078 (22,038 in '08)
    Mazda 5 - 1,919 (1,324 in '08); YTD - 14,266 (14,637 in '08)
  • ofionnachtaofionnachta Member Posts: 36
    Hi! I am a boomer Mom ready to unload the 7 seat minivan. We just don't need it anymore. But I want decent cargo space as we do haul stuff. And I want a fairly comfortable driver seat, don't like my teeth rattling as they do in my husband's Civic.

I wish more mfrs made wagons---I don't want to spend a fortune on a Volvo, youngest goes to college soon.

Does anyone here have experience/opinions on whether we should look to Rondo, used 2009 Subaru Outback, Hyundai Elantra Touring? I don't want a 2010 OB, they are too much like SUVs. I do want reliability as we keep our cars until they die.
    Oh, I didn't mention Mazda 5, because when we visited one on the lot we found that you can drop the back seats to only about 35 degrees down, and you also can't take them out. Not good for when carrying bulky things.
  • radar1radar1 Member Posts: 25
    I can really only answer for the Outback, since that's the only one I've owned, although I do have a smaller Hyundai Accent. A year and a half ago I was test driving the Mazda 5, Rondo, and Subaru Forester, and had pretty much narrowed it down to the Rondo because it had all I needed at a good price plus it was rated to tow my pop-up camper. While at the Subaru dealer, we tried the 2008 Outback and since they gave us such a good deal on the base model we bought it. We love it, it has good cargo room and a 2700 lb tow rating plus all wheel drive. The highway mileage was only supposed to be 26, but we get that in rural city, and usually at least 28 and sometimes low 30s on the highway. It has a smooth quiet ride, the only complaint we have is the scanty leg room for rear seat passengers. The 2010 model has more interior room even though it's an inch shorter. Our Outback has plenty of room for camping gear and we can easily load the kayaks on top since it's not very tall. If I didn't buy the Outback, I would be driving a Rondo right now, but I would now have to compare it side by side with the Hyundai Elantra touring which recently was highly rated by Consumers Reports. My Hyundai Accent is my work car and has worked perfectly for the 30,000 miles I've owned it and gets 35-37 MPG on my daily commute.

Have fun looking!
    I'm not sure if I follow the comment about teeth rattling on a Civic, is it very old? I've owned several car brands and the Civic is not a luxury car but very quiet and smooth.

Anyway, you are unloading a 7 seater minivan, so if you still need seven seats get a Rondo, the Mazda5 only has seats for six (US, Canada and Mexico). With regards to space with all seats folded flat we are talking about the same capacity (yeah, of course some owners will argue which has more sq in around between the 2, but it is a generic assessment, see pics below for both)

If you only need 5 seats and you need the back for cargo only, Rondo has a 5 seat configuration as well, yet I'm not sure that with no 3rd row it really adds much more space.

With all 3 rows in use, the cargo space is drastically reduced, you can carry a couple of things for the day, but i.e. to travel, a cargo box on the roof will do for any...

Oh, and you cannot recline the 2nd row fully in either, but you don't need that, see how the seats fold forward on both cars, very clever for a small car IMO
    I have the 2008 5-seater EX Rondo (Canadian version) and it has storage under the rear floor which is very handy (one of the features we liked when shopping). The 5-seater provides a complete flat floor with no gaps (ideal for our dog).
    The photos above from coolmazda are a good indication of available storage for carrying items. They are not going to match a minivan as its a much smaller vehicle, but within its context they are very efficient vehicles for space useage. I find it much easier to get in and out compared to a minivan but like that chair-like seating instead of the typical low car seating.
    I've just returned from a 43 day, 14,377 km trip and found it very comfortable (I'm 5'-11"), I had no sore backs, but usually tried not to go more than 3 hours continuous driving without a stop. It was very economical and so far with over 46,000 km I don't regret my purchase.
    You have to drive and judge for yourself if it fits your requirements and check owners comments from this and other forums.
    a big YES!

i bought my Rondo 8 weeks ago and it is not a fancy car, but down to earth practical.

7 seats for the visiting in-laws
    grocery bag hook by the passenger side (no need to find those oranges under the seat anymore)
    headlights auto off
    automatic rearm if you press the unlock button unintentionally
    excellent headroom, even in the 3rd row

i'm happy with everything except the FE, i'm only getting 19mpg in the city and i don't have a heavy foot. but the cheaper insurance cost kind of compensates that.
    believe it or not, the insurance on the brand new Rondo is cheaper than my 10 year old minivan.
    Thank you all, very much, for the input!

The Civic is abt a 2001 or 02, and the teeth rattling is what my teen daughter complains about in the back seat. She says that she feels every wrinkle in the road--she had not realized that not all cars were like this until she began to sit in various vehicles on our test drives.

We don't need the 7 seats; that is why we are unloading the van. We do need cargo room on a pretty regular basis---supplies for house projects, camping things for Scouts, etc etc. I sometimes need to carry furniture which is why I'd like the seats to fold all the way flat.

Those rear seats in the Mazda do go pretty flat--the salesman who showed us one did not make them do that! He seems not to have known they could--when I asked about it, he told me that is as far as they go. They were just slanting forward a bit.

We did like the Mazda 5 other than that, but felt the mpg was not so great, also no need for 6 seats.

We drove an Elantra Touring a few days ago. For the price there is nice space to carry things, but not as much as the Rondo. The 2nd row seats are kind of hard. They do not fold as flat as those in the Kia. It does feel like it rides a little higher than the Civic we had been driving to get there. The gas mileage is the best of all the vehicles we have been thinking of.

The (Touring) dealership had added $500 for pinstriping and another $500 for waxing and "cloth care package" (I know what that is!) and also more than 3k for "AMV" or "AVM" whatever the heck that is. I asked the saleswoman, who was a young, very inexperienced, single mother, and I do wish her the best. She had no idea and thought it had to do with getting the electronics set up, like the computer. I doubt that, but I am not paying over 3k for anything that isn't itemized and well explained, and even then I'll have to want it. A lot, to add 3K to a 17K car!

Kia has a promotion going, $1500 off; I was just quoted a Net price of a bit over 16k for a new 09. Also, there are used 09 OBs, mileage abt 6500-9k, in the area for around 22k. They were fleet cars, owned either by the dealership & used as loaners I suppose, or by rental companies that I notice were near airports.

Any thoughts?
    $500 for pinstriping is ludicrous (unless they did the whole car with decals ). I got pinstriping done on my Rondo for $75 just a simple double black line down each side of the car.
    Forget those waxing and cloth care paks all of them just heavy padding on your price for very little. Go after market for any of that stuff.
    Check out the list price at the KIA site for prices and special promotions as there will be good buys on any '09's left in stock, but your selection maybe limited. Not sure if you are in the US or Canada, but I'm thinking US.
    When I bought mine I used the facilities of Car Cost Canada to find out what the dealer cost was and any promotion deals, so I'm sure there is something similar in the US for that purpose. It cost me $40 but felt it was money well spent at least you know exactly what you are looking at when you go to purchase.

Your right there is $1500 cash back in the US (expires Sept 30th), Canada is offering $2000 off and 0% financing for 48 months (it also expires Sept 30th), but then a new deal will start in October, but less and less '09 stock available each day, so you can't be as selective in your package or colour for '09's.
    Yeah, I have no intention of paying $500 for striping which I don't want anyway.

While in their dealership---this is a Cadillac/Hyundai place----I watched a little old guy actually painting stripes on a red Touring in their showroom. Not that tape stuff. He used a stencil.

I think I finally figured out what AMV or AVM is -- an all around camera system so you can back up & park without turning your head. They are nuts, installing that on an entry level family use car, which is what a Touring is, imo, at 18 - 19 k MSRP. I did not see a screen, either, in the Touring we drove -- making me think the item is on the window sticker but not in the car. There were not any stripes on the car at the moment, either.

Another dealership is now emailing me trying to get me in before the end of the month (quota time) and mentioning the $1500. Anybody here think 16-17 k is good for a base Rondo? Anybody weighing in on whether a slightly used Outback, or a new Rondo, would be a better choice? Reliability and all that? Thanks again!
    Get a Subaru Outback! No to the Rondo! :D

Just kidding, just keep on mind that this is a Mazda5/Rondo comparison thread, of course the answers can get a little bit biased ;). Did you post your question in the wagons section as well?
  • vicenacvicenac Member Posts: 229
    I "live" in the Mazda 5 forums. This thread apears there, too.
    Outback and pretty much all the Subaru cars get a thumb down from me. There are many many reasons why I like Subaru's, but their 4 gear transmissions kills it for me.
    I went to a dealer (rude) and I sat in an Outback. The driver's seat and space, controls etc. seamed designed especially for me. I was amazed how well I felt in there.
    But then the price and low tech....
    I would get a Rondo. It seems to have less technical problems then the MZ 5, but then, like I said, where is Waldo?
    I called Galpin Mazda (huge dealer) and they say MZ5 will come mid October or the latest close to the end of October. I can streach it that far, so I'm back to Mazda 5.
    Why a Mazda 5? We simply love the way it looks! And it is also a minimalistic aproach to our needs, which are 3 raws of seats. for mom, dad, kid 1 (car seat), kid 2 (car seat/carier), grand ma'.
    I am fully prepared to put a cargo box on top, a trailer hich for bikes on the back and to get out and push it uphil :)
    Thanks for all the help, guys and girls!
  • dona83dona83 Member Posts: 67
    The 2nd and 3rd row of a Mazda 5 do fold down flat. With the 2nd row you have to fold the seat cushion forward first then fold the seat back down. With the 3rd row, you just have to push it flat in. In both rows the headrest has to be all the way down. I love my 5.
  • torontodadtorontodad Member Posts: 1
    Apart from being biased, as I just bought one.. I say yes.
    reasons are simple, in the context of it's only contender, the Mazda5:
    Space to Gas to Ride Quality to Utility to Features ratios...:
    SPACE, marginally more than the 5, but more configurable.
    Gas: less fuel efficient with the canadian 177hp 4cyl., but added power means better highway performance, plus the Theta II engine is a well proven engine across multiple manufacturers (read cheaper parts)
    Quality: same as 5, some components are better put together, though not as snazzy looking as 5.
    Utility: ok.. so look at space above..
    Features: Far exceed the 5 at same trim levels
    Top this off with dealer incentives to get rid of 2009 models, I got mine at 23K Cdn EX Premium with 2 years of service free. Java Brown (dunno if I will regret that but hey)..
    Currently drive a ford escape 2009, company car, which is being taken away from us, as well as salary reductions... All roads pointed to KIA for me.. and I am thus far pleased... though I have yet to drive it! :)
    wow, 23K?

is that including PDI, documentation, levy, finance fee...etc (except sales taxes) ?
    Problem is to find them in inventory, but they keep on adding value to the car, that is always good. TCS and DSC are now standard to avoid complaints :D

AVAILABILITY FUNCTIONAL CHANGES
    - Add Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) as standard (All)
    - Add Traction Control System (TCS) as standard (All)

EXTERIOR/INTERIOR CHANGES
    - Delete body-color side moldings (All)
    - Sand interior (CC4) not available with Brilliant Black (A3F)
    - Delete side turn signal repeater lights (All)
    - Delete glove box illumination (All)
    - Delete black headlight bezels (Touring/GT)

Exterior Colors Added:
    - Liquid Silver (38P)

Exterior Colors Deleted:
    - Sunlight Silver (22V)

Source:
    http://www.mazdausamedia.com/content/2010-mazda5
    2010 Mazda 5 info and details not yet released in Canada. (Rondo 2010 is now available)
    Dona83, You know why I did not think the Mazda 5 seats folded flat? The kid who showed it to us on the lot did not know they could! He dropped them down as far as they went without folding the cushion forward as you describe, then said, "Gee, I guess they don't go down any further!"

This ignorance was not his fault. It is his management's. I am astounded that at a lot of places, apparently whenever a new model comes in, they do not run the entire staff through a session instructing them in all of the various attributes of the vehicle. How on earth are they supposed to sell them to the public?
    How on earth are they supposed to sell them to the public?

Savvy people do good research on the cars they want to buy before they show up at the dealer ;), especially with the information available everywhere nowadays (i.e. this same forum).

But you may be right, the concept of sales consultants has become worse and worse, apart from few good ones, the rotation (one day Nissan, the other day Honda) is too high and their knowledge has gone down...
    What are the 2010 Rondo specs? Some new goodies?
    there is a separate thread for the 2010 Rondo info. The only thing I can see in the spec info that is different is Eco-Minder indicator and there is also an in-dash navigation sytem on the top model. I haven't seen a 2010 model yet (my local dealer didn't have any when a checked a couple of days ago).
    Yeah, but I don't read the Rondo section. Ecominder indicator? Do you mean like a light? That should as pleasant as the yellow cruise control light on the 1st Mazda5 model, problem this might also blink :)
    I presume its like the one on the Forte and according to the owners manual it can be turned off or on - your choice. But till I actually see a 2010 Rondo I can't confirm.

Also the 2010 Mazda 5 info has not yet been released in Canada.
    Rondo - 1,023 (932 '08); YTD 7,838
    Mazda 5 - 698 (711 '08; YTD 7,379
  • dona83dona83 Member Posts: 67
    Odd, I see so many more 5s than I do Rondos at least in Vancouver although I'm happy to see the sales of these two small people movers thriving. I hope more manufacturers step up to the plate. Can't wait for the Ford C-Max!
  • gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    Chevrolet Orlando looks promising as well. My complaint is that the Mazda 5 and the Orlando and the Cmax will only have small displacement engines. My impala 3.5 liter gets 28-32mpg regularly so why can't a 3.0 liter 6cylinder be put in these vehicles. If Chevy can do it with the 3.5 surely other manufacturers should be able to get a 6 with good gas mileage as well. So far the Rondo is the only one to come close.
    Rondo - 653 ('08 - 2,642 ); YTD - 11,731 ('08 - 24,680)
    Mazda 5 - 652 ('08 -1,080); YTD - 14,918 ('08 - 15,717)
    I guess is perception, check this review from Canada, but if it sells more because of that, good stuff:

Our tester is the top of the line EX Luxury model, which comes standard with a V6 engine mated to a five-speed automatic transmission. Though it may seem that Rondo has the advantage here with a six-cylinder engine option (only a 2.3-litre inline-4 is available in the Mazda5), Kia’s V6 is underwhelming. It has more muscle than the Mazda5, but the car doesn’t feel particularly faster. The V6 engine is also quite loud under hard acceleration and it drinks gas more readily.

Source:
    http://www.autonet.ca/autos/search/testdrives/2009/09/30/11209106-autonet.html
    if i wanted a fast car, i wouldn't be buying a 7 seater mini-mini van,
    with 175hp from a 2.4 I-4, i didn't even go for the optional V6 engine.
This discussion has been closed.