Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda 5 vs Kia Rondo

Comments

• 93949394 Member Posts: 74
    US has 10 times more population than Canada, i'm surprised to see that the Canadian Rondo number is so high. incredible. although i'm 1 of those who bought a Rondo in Aug.
    2016 eSoul - All Electric - Zero Emission
  • ofionnachtaofionnachta Member Posts: 36
    Conwelpic, they sure aren't selling those Rondos around me! I look everywhere to see them on the road and no dice. Only a few Mazdas 5s, too. Saw a red one at the grocery the other day. NJ, north of Trenton.

Loads of Hondas, Toys, etc.
  • bgwbgw Member Posts: 116
    Lots of Rondos in Newfoundland, and a few M5s too. We certainly appreciate practicality in a sensible-sized wrapper!
    bgw, what is your experience with them? Are they reliable regarding few (pref no) recalls or lemonish repairs?
  • dona83dona83 Member Posts: 67
    I think because Canadians tend to gravitate towards smaller sensible vehicles, perhaps by necessity... gas has always been on average 25% more expensive north of the border. We're paying $3.60 a gallon equivalent right now in Vancouver.
    it went up to 1.09 per litre this morning, or US$3.9/gallon.

even though crude drop more than 2 dollars yesterday.

?????
  • conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    ofionnachta I will also answer your question too. I'm just coming up to 48,000 km (29,827 miles) and 2 years of ownership and so far extremely reliable. No mechanical problems at all, body as tight as the day I bought it with no squeaks or ratttles. Very good mileage, comfortable, versatile, plenty of power with my 2.4L, great sounding standard stereo. No hesitation in recommending it. I have only two warranty claims - one was one of the strands on the heated rear window was not working and the other was replacement of the windshield due to a pressure crack on the inside at the dash level - both repairs done to my full satisfaction.
    Mine is the Canadian 2008 EX model 5-seater model.
  • tourist1292tourist1292 Member Posts: 31
    Don't forget that Rondo has more options and bundled features in Canada than in US. That may make it more competitive and broaden its market there.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    yep, your experience is similar to mine with my two Kia's, the first a 1999 Kia Sephia sedan, and the 2nd a 2001 Kia Sportage 4X4. A few recalls, and a few minor fixes required from Technical Service Bulletins.

I was on top of all of the problems as they ocurred in real time, no messing around wondering what to do. Kia Service Advisors kept me informed and the Kia was always fixed right the first time, every time, at no cost to me.

The amount of money I saved by paying less for my Kia compared to other imports and domestics could then be spent by my wife and I on other things. Like fixing up old houses. ;)

But I remain a big fan of Kia. Their Long-Haul Warranty is great, but, one must choose their dealer carefully.

I was recently treated to new driver side and passenger window tinting from our Mitsubishi dealer! We were there for our Lancer's 45,000 mile service. As I started to pull away the Service Advisor comes running up to us yelling "don't roll your window down!". I hit the brakes and opened the door inquiring why.

"I just tinted your windows. Don't use the power windows for a while."

So we saved on the 45,000 mile package over the Mitsu dealer in Tucson's quote(the place we bought from is located in Avondale, a western burb of Phoenix, the same place we went to for our 45,000 mile service here). And we got our windows tinted for free.

Now that is intelligent automotive service for you. I will remember treatment like that when it comes time to buy another Mitsubishi, which, of course, is just where they want me. But if we're treated fairly(and I watch every transaction like a hawk)I will indeed remember with the memory of a desert elephant at deal time. :shades:

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    I was recently treated to new driver side and passenger window tinting from our Mitsubishi dealer! We were there for our Lancer's 45,000 mile service. As I started to pull away the Service Advisor comes running up to us yelling "don't roll your window down!". I hit the brakes and opened the door inquiring why.

"I just tinted your windows. Don't use the power windows for a while."

LOL, you're kidding, right? So, you didn't note the new tint when getting into the vehicle and the dealer did it without asking you? I don't like aftermarket window tinting so I would have been extremely upset if somebody does anything like that to my car without asking first... I would not have recommended that dealer AT ALL. Good dealers ask you first, even if it's for free
    very similar to the OEM tintjob. It was perfectly clear with no scratches. There were scratches on the window tinting that came with the car. I could see it was beautifully done and I was thrilled they did it for free. Would've cost me at least $75 on the open market to get it re-tinted.

Sheesh. Some people are beyond hard to please. :sick:

Get it-happy with the tinting. End of story. No hate required, and thankfully no Mazda's any where near. ;)

Conwelpic & iluvmysephia, thanks for the info! I want to replace the Grand Caravan, which has served us well hauling teens, Girl Scouts, camping gear, building supplies, etc for nearly 20 yr (not the same van). I still need some cargo room but only need 5 seats, and I want reliability. I do enjoy the higher seat in the Caravan---I am short. I don't want an SUV for the gas ecnomy reasons and I just can't stand the blown up, blown out look oof them.

When I found Rondo on Kia's website I thought it might meet all these needs, but not being familiar with them I have hesitated to purchase. As I mentioned before, I don't see a lot of them around here nor know anyone who has one, while I know lots of people who have Siennas, CR-Vs, Odysseys etc.

The other thing delaying our purchase is we just hate car dealerships and the entire buying experience. I would rather have root canal--and I have had several of them so I know what I am talking about. At least the endodontist does not try to gyp you blind and lie about everything imaginable.
    your welcome, however, you did not fill out your location in your profile (if you hover over your name it shows up in the pop-up menu) so I've no idea whether you are in Canada or the US. So what to suggest to help "alleviate your pain" of buying could be different.
    I had a great and painfree experience in my purchase and couldn't have been any better.
    Have you driven one yet?
    Get it-happy with the tinting. End of story. No hate required, and thankfully no Mazda's any where near.

Ha, this is not a Mazda5 vs Rondo nor a Mazda vs KIA thing, this is just common sense. Your story reads completely made out, the more details you provide the less realistic it sounds, sorry. Why would you tint your windows with the same OEM color it already has?

Anyway, we are way off-topic, this is not the free invisible tint Lancer thread :confuse:
    I live in NJ. We did drive one a couple of months ago & were impressed but did not like that dealer. I don't know about Canadian car dealers but we have a lot of liars and cheaters here.
    To keep it on topic, here are some tips for NJ:

Dealers in NJ, check here, there might be useful rating info:
    http://www.edmunds.com/dealerships/Kia/NewJersey/index.html

Some general notes:

Finding a dealer can be a headache, but try to focus on 2 things: a) who has the best deal on the Rondo you want ($$) and b) who has the best service. While sometimes it helps to buy and service in the same location, it is not necessary. I own 2 of the same vehicles and both are serviced (including warranty work) where I bought the 2nd. The 1st one's service was terrible, yet they had the car I wanted at the right price. If you are lucky the car might not have any issue, but if it does, then post-sales attention matters (and they like your continuing business, guess why I bought my 2nd car from the best service dealer?)

Test drive and visually inspect the Rondo you'll buy one more time. You may find insignificant things that can become a headache after buying. Yes, the dealer may offer you to "fix any annoyance" if you buy, but once you sign, it can be a different story.

Don't forget to fill out feedback, reviews (like the one to the right of the screen) and share your experience for the dealer(s) (good or bad). This helps them improving and helps buyers like you in the future
    OK, I'm gonna try this one last time. The tinting was done for us for free from our dealer while the car was in for some maintenance. Are ya followin' me so far?

OK, when I got in the car to pull off after paying, the Service Advisor informed me that I shouldn't roll down my window for a while as they had re-tinted the driver and front passenger side windows.

Done. End of story. No cost to my wife and I. Looks great. No scratches anymore. No cost to us. Done deal. Happy about it.

The OEM tinting got scratched because our Lancer GTS must've not gotten some felt on the inner door. Wasn't explained to us. I could call them back to find out why the OEM tinting got scratched but probably won't now that it looks good.

Nothing more to say. Why that comes off as a negative story that you think I made up I don't know. Ever heard of good deeds done at no cost to win over customers to a particular dealership? Yes, these things really happen. Sheesh.

I hope that made sense to most of you out there. I'm on to something else on the net. This person is headaching my head...really bad all of a sudden. :sick:

Before you proceed further, please see note my last post, I'm giving factual advice to a future Rondo owner, to keep it on topic.

Regardless FYI:

OEM tint: how can it be scratched because is inside the glass, there is no "film" in it. In other words, it cannot be redone by ANY dealer after the window is manufactured. If by any means comes scratched (or defective is a better word, as it would be inside the glass) then a new window is needed.

Here is a Lancer GTS, no OEM tint apart from the greenish color the OEM windows come with.

End of a real story, I'm not an expert in cars, but that is not rocket science. Let's just give factual information, thanks.
  • tsm280ztsm280z Member Posts: 30
    iluvmysephia1 - relax, this is how coolmazda5 reacts to anyone who has a different opinion than his. :P
    Opinions are healthy for forum debates, misleading statements are not. You may want to check with the fellow member conwelpic, among others, and learn something from him.

Let's get back on topic (3rd time request by the way)
    Mazda 5 - 853 (1921 for '08); YTD 15,771 (17,638 for '08)
    Rondo - 814 (1541 for '08); YTD - 12,545 (26,194 for '08)
    and if a host deleted my post here I wouldn't blame them.

OEM tint: how can it be scratched because is inside the glass, there is no "film" in it. In other words, it cannot be redone by ANY dealer after the window is manufactured. If by any means comes scratched (or defective is a better word, as it would be inside the glass) then a new window is needed.

OK, so you're saying that my car dealer replaced my driver's side window and my front passenger window? Not the tinting on it? Excuse me, but you're acting like Dennis Rodman and placing tattoos all over the Edmunds website now.

Listen to yourself! Tinting is done outside a window. What I was trying to explain to you earlier is the OEM window was scratched because the tinting was rubbing on something on the inside of the door. Something that needed to be buffered by a substance called felt. No felt=scratched tinting. Not a real mystery and not rocket science.

Is this a mystery to anyone else who happens to peruse this thread?

OK, let me reframe the end result for you, coolmazda5. Whatever they did(my dealer)they did it good, they did it right, and the tinting is not scratched and the job is weathering the test of time. There was no charge, so this is a win-win for us.

Keeping that in mind...and knowing that it looks good and pristine and costed us no money at all, how it this a negative thing?

coolmazda5...are you telling me that you really believe that they replaced two of my Lancer GTS' windows? Are you for real, bud? :confuse:

Can I get a witness? Who knows about automobile window tinting reading this? Please attach reason to this thread and confirm that window tinting is outside a window and sticks on to it. If I'm wrong I'll renounce my belief that the Pittsburgh Stealers really did steal Super Bowl 40 from the Seattle Seahawks and they received abundant help from bought-off referees. :)

• rokinrokin Member Posts: 1
    Well....I had my Honda Accord professionally tinted four years ago and it is indeed a film stuck to the INSIDE of the glass. It still looks great and there are no scratches.

I don't think it makes any sense to put it on the outside. The weather would have too much effect on it.
    Yikes, it sounds like exotic cars sales numbers...

By the way, the 2010 Mazda5 for the US has finally been updated. As mentioned before the noteworthy items are DSC and TCS standard. Hope Canada gets it too...
    http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsMain&vehi- - cleCode=MZ5
    so you're sayin' that my dealer actually replaced the entire front glass windows to fix defective window tinting on my 2 year old Lancer GTS from Mitsubishi? That is so non-cost effective for them. But now that it's done...oh well. I come out smelling like a rose on this one. I can't believe that tinting goes on the "inside of the glass."

Come on, I'm the boss...need the info.! Someone else supply window tinting information for us, that still maketh no real sense to me. :confuse:

still no info on Canadian models for the Mazda 5, only '09 info available. It's the only Mazda model that is not providing 2010 info.
    if no one's going to play with me any more on this window tinting thing I just had a novel thought. I'll call my dealer and try to get a hold of the same Service Advisor who authorized the tinting work on our Lancer GTS.

I'll just ask him how the tinting process works. In explicit detail. And get to the bottom of this menacing mystery once and for all. ;)

to my knowledge there is only two ways of tint, if its factory tint its embedded into the glass (the glass is manufactured with tint in it to a set percentage); if its aftermarket and you get the tint applied its usually a film applied on the inside of the glasss (that is what I have had done to my Rondo). I did hear about a spray one time but not sure if that's used anymore, or maybe it wasn't effective.
    Now if there is another way, its news to me. :)
    seems to me I'm gonna need to call up my Serivce Advisor to find out what they did to fix my driver's side and passenger side window tinting.

I'm guessing that my Lancer's OEM tinting was applied as a film on the inside of the glass, as it showing definite scratching having been done to it. But the re-tint job was film applied I'm thinking, too, because the Service Advisor told me to not roll my windows up or down for several hours after the job was done. It looks great, still, what a nice surprise from them to do this. :shades:

I'll try and limit this discussion from now on in here as it is severely off-topic. :blush:

Weird since the 2010 Mazda 5 TV commercials are playing in full swing. I noticed the side blinker is gone much like the US model.
    finally the 2010 Mazda 5 info has shown up on the Canadian site. DSC and TCS are standard on the GT model, but an option on the base GS model which is part of the Comfort Package at $1,295
    I've seen a Canadian EX-V6 Rondo 2010 model for the first time today and the only change I could see over the '09 model was the ECO minder light on the tachometer and different alloy wheels.
    Rondo sold 805 units (686 in '08) vs 501 units (694 in '08) for the Mazda 5
    YTD - Rondo 8,643 (8,941 in '08) vs Mazda 5 at 7,880 (11,162 in '08)
  • vicenacvicenac Member Posts: 229
    I saw that the Rondo sales a bit better than the 5, so I thought I’d take a closer look at the Rondo. Easier said than done. The local dealer did not cooperate with a quote, just the usual “come in and drive and you’ll see…”. But then I realized there was no EX in sight. I don’t care for the LX. I need a vehicle with 3 rows.
    So it dawns to me, that only the EX competes head to head with the Mazda5. The LX is in another class. I think we should compare only EX sales the 5.
    I ended up buying a 5 without having the chance to get into a Rondo EX, because there aren’t any around.
    There was a severe shortage in stock the last couple of months, things'll pick up again now that they're shipping new 2010 models finally.
    if you need to carry 6 people most of the time, you are better off with the sliding doors on the Mazda5, getting in and out of the 3rd row on the Rondo isn't all that easy, it is like getting into the rear seats of a 2 dr hatch back.

however, it is sure nice to have 7 seats when you have to carry 7 poeple once in awhile.

Rondo: 693 (vs 559 for '08); YTD: 9,336 (vs. 9,500 for '08)
    Mazda 5: 415 (vs. 464 for '08); YTD: 8,295 (vs. 11,626 for '08)

Market share in Canada:
    KIA: 3.2% (vs. 2.3% in '08)
    Mazda: 5.2% (vs. 5.3% in '08)

YTD vs '08 (Canada):
    KIA: +20.6%
    Mazda: -14.8%
    Wow, KIA is hitting hard the market share up north as well, not bad. How are the Rondos holding up on value in Canada? In the US the Rondo is at the bottom along with the Hyundai Azera, KIA Sedona and the Mitsubishi Endeavor. That is what KIA needs to work on next I believe:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703735004574570194202741528.html

There are no hard coded numbers, but the used Mazda5s seem to be well appreciated in Canada (according to the media) regardless of the initial flaws. Some articles I found:

http://www.wheels.ca/newsFeatures/article/783399

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/used-cars/used-cars-archive/an-instan- - t-hit-econo-minivan-still-holds-value/article1359888/

Yeah, for the US, I've seen nothing recently...
    Both the Mazda 5 and Kia Rondo resale values are quite strong in Canada, example the used 07 prices for each is between $13.5k and $18k. I suspect the high demand for both is playing a factor. I paid $15k for my 07 Mazda 5 GT.
  • castg1castg1 Member Posts: 34
    I think that once you own a mazda5, there is very little chance that you will replace it with a Rondo down the line. And maybe it is a vice versa, like if you have a Rondo, why would you even try a MAZDA5?

The question is if one needs additional vehicle.. Will the current Rondo owner get another rondo? Or will a MAZDA5 owner get another MAZDA5? Do we have
    someone with 2 Rondo's in their garage? I know some have 2 MAZDA5s.
    a friend of mine has 2 Ladas,

your point is?

LADAs are hot
    US
    Rondo - 1,236 (1,056 for '08) YTD: 14,206 (vs 28,645 for '08)
    Mazda 5 - 1,622 (2,884 for '08); YTD: 18,488 (vs 22,021 for '08)
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I saw them earlier today. I like the interior, but, I just can't stand the whole large mouth bass look...
    Nice, the size nor the essentials change, needs the side sills and the spoiler though. The Mazda3 + Nagare looking was expected, that is OK, it grew on me already

Is there any news on the 2011 Rondo? the Grand C-MAX and the Orlando are coming to NA as well...
    Rondo: 499 (Dec '08 - 406) YTD: 9,835 ('08 - 9,906)
    Mazda 5: 343 (318); YTD: 8,638 (11,944)
  • sjohnson11sjohnson11 Member Posts: 37
    I keeping my fingers crossed that when the 2011 comes to the US, it has start stop technology. My wife isn't really hip on buying new cars, but she is excited about having start/stop (greenie). Mazda I hope you're listening!
  • ramblinmoramblinmo Member Posts: 38
    Put some saber tooth fangs on it.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I wonder how the start/stop will work with a non-hybrid car? With a hybrid, you have the batteries able to move the car forward as soon as you press on the gas, but with a non-hybrid, if you're at a traffic light and the engine shuts off, once the light goes green and you press the gas I imagine there's be some delay as the starter cranks the engine back on???

I also wonder what the MPG will be for the 2011 mazda5. Hopefully at least 30HWY.
This discussion has been closed.