Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Caravan/Voyager Electrical Issues

Comments

• cusser1119cusser1119 Member Posts: 1
    When I shut off the engine, even with the headlights off, the brake lights remain lit. Is the problem with a switch, and if so, where is the switch located?

It's a Plymouth Voyager, of course, and made in '95.
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    Here's a link to a 94 - should be close to the same:

http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1g/bl986g.htm
  • wms6233wms6233 Member Posts: 2
    When I woke up this morning the battery on my 93 Caravan (150,000 miles) was completely dead. As soon as I put jumper cable on the caravan, the headlights came on (not the dashboard lights). The car then started, but I could not turn the headlights off. When I turn the headlight switch on, the dashboard lights came on and the headlights stayed on. I had to get to work, turn the car off and watched the headlights drain the battery.
    Same thing this evening. The battery is 5 years old.
    Unless there is a simple solution, this might be the last straw for this car that has been a problem for me this past year, but an excellent reliable car for the over 14 years. Any simple suggestions? Could it be the battery?
    I do know a low battery can cause strange things to happen. The wipers in my old car would turn on by themselves when my battery was low.

I'm not a mechanic but I have seen where resetting the onboard computer sometimes fixes an unusual problem. Try disconnecting the negative battery cable from the battery and leave it like that for at least an hour or more - overnight if you want to. This will reset the computer to the factory defaults. I can't say that it will cure the headlight problem but it's a free way to try.

If this doesn't fix the problem look in your owner's manual or the inside lid of your fuse box and locate the headlight fuse(s). Remove it while you're at work for a temporary fix.
  • jimmymc6969jimmymc6969 Member Posts: 13
    i just bouht a 93 voyager and the speed guages dont work and every light on the dash keeps blinking on and off but it still runs fine can anyone help me plese and i here funny chime like bing bing bing its so annoying plese help me
  • wms6233wms6233 Member Posts: 2
    I took the battery to NAPA for a test and was only putting out 4 1/2 volts. So I purchases a new battery. NAPA told me to check the headlight relay (Solenoid) behind the dash. There are six relays with no markings. I took the first one out and headlights went off. Purchased a new relay, and it solved the problem. I was told that the low voltage probably burned up the relay.
    Thanks.
  • auburn2auburn2 Member Posts: 2
    2001 DODGE VAN >>>>
    All of the gauge lights have quit working ?
    The gauges themselves still work normal as do the idiot lights. The gear selector PRND3L still lights & so does the clock & radio. I have checked the fuse for the dash lites and it is fine. The brightness dial also works.
    Has anyone else had this problem or know how to fix it?
    Your help would be appreciated. Thanks, JAY
  • mwallsmwalls Member Posts: 1
    Our 2002 Grand Caravan has no wipers, radio, heater fan or window control for the first 5 to 55 min. of driving. When engine is off they function in both AAC and Run positions of the key. When the rear wiper is turned on the radio/clock flashes on while the wiper blade is in motion; off while the blade pauses!?!?! FCM has been replaced and I'm told ignition switch checks out OK. Please help; this is driving me bonkers!!
  • rclevelandrcleveland Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 95 Voyager and I got mad and smacked the top of the dash. It worked fine then. The same thing happens about every 3 months and so far it works every time. I think it's a bad connection on a cable. Woks on mine. May not work on yours. PS: Don't dent the dash.
  • correllbilcorrellbil Member Posts: 3
    I have read a lot of the post about my problem and one question that I have is this, Will a code be placed into the OBD to help me find my problem. I really thought that the Fuel Pump was bad, but when I replace it, still have no luck. How can I test the Coil and the Cam and Crankshaft Sensors? After I replaced the pump with no joy, I checked the firing and found none.
  • wilard_ratswilard_rats Member Posts: 2
    its a 1994 voyager with the 2.5 liter
    when i turn the ignition all i get is a squeal from the starter relay. so i thought it would be the problem and i replaced it. after that i got a sound like putting the back of your tongue against the roof of your mouth and breathing out. so i replaced the starter and still the same things. the battery has a full charge and is working great i had it tested. i cant figure this out at all its driving me nuts someone please help
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    That still sounds like a bad battery or bad battery connections. The starter relay is vibrating because it doesn't have enough current. (a relay is just a big switch).
  • wilard_ratswilard_rats Member Posts: 2
    i hooked a wire to the ground on the starter and when i ground in on the engine block the vibrates and then my ignition switch blew but it doesnt seem to vibrate if i dont ground it lol this must be a joke lol
  • jodanrojodanro Member Posts: 4
    The little red battery light on the lower left side of the instrument panel keeps coming on. I replaced the battery (which it needed), and it is still on. Sometimes, when I'm driving, it's like all of a sudden everything is getting full power. My headlights sometimes seem dim, and then all of a sudden are bright like they should be. Interior lights and fan are the same way. I can't imagine that it's anything real major, as it starts fine, and also runs fine. Can someone please give me some advice?! Thanks very much :o)
    Does it still have the original alternator? When my alternator started to go out I noticed some of my lights going dim and then bright for a week or two before it totally went out.

Some other causes could be a loose or corroded connection between the alternator and battery or ground.

I believe places like AutoZone still offer a free check of your charging system but if it's acting up intermittently it might be difficult to pinpoint. Is the tension okay on the serpentine belt?
    I believe the alternator is original. That would be a fairly simple fix! I did notice the battery connections were pretty corroded, when I put the new battery in. I had to clean them. I will check the connection between the alternator and the battery. Thanks for the suggestions. If neither of those work, I'll take it to Advance and have them check the system.

Thanks again :o)
  • maskesmaskes Member Posts: 1
    How did you make out with the headlight issue. My van is currently in for the same problem and has been for 3 days now. It just seems to be getting worse when it all appeared to be a loose/corroded wire to start with. I now may be facing body control module replacement in addition to 2 days plus of "diagnostic" work.
    Please let me know what your problem was tracked to.
    We also thought it was just a corroded connection. But, that did not fix the problem. We replaced the alternator, and so far (fingers crossed) that seems to have taken care of the problem. Of course, though, we needed the MOST expensive alternator made! LOL Oh well.........it's worth it, if it takes care of all the grief! Hope this helps. Please let me know what you find out about your van.
  • heavydoeheavydoe Member Posts: 10
    I have the same issue. It only does it on days when the temp is 40 deg or lower, but not all the time.
  • mamasanmamasan Member Posts: 1
    I wonder if you can give me an advice on my 1994 Plymouth voyager mini van. The speedometer stopped, trans. check engine light is on & the reverse light doesn't work (even tho the reverse light has been replaces & the reverse gear work.) If I am driving 65 mph, the speedometer needle goes to 100 mph then to 0 mph then back th 65 mph. Sometimes it will drop down to 0 mph & stays there. Can you help me? Thanks.
  • rferchaurferchau Member Posts: 1
    My battery light came on check my voltage with my volt meter had 12 volts I took the ALTERNATOR out and had it check. It past every test put it back on the van battery light was out and i had 14volts with my volt meter, this will last for driving 25 to 30 miles and the battery light will come on again and i will have 12 volts I did this three times and got the same results could it be a bad Alternator
  • brigid58brigid58 Member Posts: 1
    On my van, the lights on the air conditioning/heater control panel keep flashing and the odometer light stays on constantly night and day, which drains the battery. I brought my car in for this problem in January, and they replaced the ignition switch. It fixed the flashing lights but not the odometer light problem. The mechanic told me I had to turn the key a certain way to get the light to turn off. It worked only a couple of times. Now, the lights are flashing again! The mechanic told me I may need a new instrument cluster. Does this sound right, and would this fix both problems? I've already spent $400.00 on this issue.
  • lkolko Member Posts: 1
    Everything in my 1991 Dodge Caravan mini-van has worked perfectly until yesterday afternoon. I installed a ladder rack on top of the van, and installed a shelfing unit on the floor in the van, running along the left side of the van. After installing these two items successfully, I jumped in the van, put my foot on the brake, and the fuse blew, as well as several others. My question is, where does the wiring in this van run? Along the ceiling under headliner? Through interior of van under carpeting? It pretty obviously I hit a bundle of wiring when attaching either the shelfing or ladder rack. Its going to be alot of work removing what installed, so hoping I can determine where the wiring runs?
    Thanks!
  • eflyguyeflyguy Member Posts: 3
    '97 Grand Caravan
    I first noticed the horn was not operating, but then realized the cruise controls are also non-functional. I assume there is a common ground issue, I expect a quick check with a continuity meter will confirm, but where is the best place to test?
    Thanks!
    ..a
  • cbwilshacbwilsha Member Posts: 70
    You have a faulty clockspring which interfaces between the steering wheel switches and the vehicle. There was a recall on 97's so any Dealer will probably replace it under recall particularly if it hasn't been replaced at least once already. Shouldn't be too expensive even if you have to pay for it.

C.B.
    Thanks, that was quick. Not something I can change out myself?
    ..a
  • cbwilshacbwilsha Member Posts: 70
    I'm sure you could but I haven't so can't advise. You would have to have very specific instructions since, among other things, the drivers side airbag is involved.

C.B.
  • adams135adams135 Member Posts: 3
    Help !!

Every now and then all my gages go dead and my SBS lights on the panel. … I am fairly certain it is the computer.

Almost always it happens when I first start the van …. Once however they went deal when I hit a big bump.

Most of the times if I restart the van they start working however it seems that has stopped. Now it is a hot or miss if they work or not.

Do you think I might have a loose connection on the computer?

Exactly where is the computer located and how can I get to it?

Any and all suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    More than likely your computer is just fine. Most often than not the problem you are describing can be traced to the soldered connections on the instrument panel. A bit of history here; some time prior to 1998, the federal government mandated the removal of lead from solder, and as such the companies had to migrate to a different kind of metal composite for their solder. It was kind of a hit and miss thing, and many vehicles, not just those from Chrysler, suffered weird electrical problems that could be traced to the solder used.

In your case, the fix that usually cures such problems is to remove the instrument cluster and take a hot soldering iron and "touch" each solder point for a moment or two, thus re-liquefying the solder and then re-setting it. Based upon the posts that I've read here and on other automotive related web sites, this "fix" is roughly 80% effective on the first try.

Keep us posted.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • chibb3155chibb3155 Member Posts: 1
    i own an 06 caravan sxt. the problem i'm having is that sometimes when i start it the gauges don't come on. speed, tach, fuel, temp, odometer, etc. i found that if i disconnect the battery everything seems to resets and works again. how serious of a situation am i looking at and what will it take to fix it? i'm at a loss.
  • jxj89jxj89 Member Posts: 1
    Thank You!!!!! Thank You Soooo Much for the advice on the A/C recaliboration test. Worked like a charm... Just one more question....when the lights started blinking yesterday, the van wouldn't start. I was leaving on a trip about 60 miles away. I was a gas station right next door to an Advanced Auto. I had one of their employees run a scan on the main port, and it showed nothing. He mentioned the check engine light had to be on for the scanner to work...hhmm.. Anyway, I checked the fusable links under the dash, and all seemed good The van started after I shifted in to neutral (to push it to the curb) and back in to park.....I went on my trip and it started everytime after that........Any thoughts? Thanks again.....
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    This has happened 3 times to Pop's 95 mini van. Worse, it happened at night last time and he called AAA who pulled the fuse!

It seams the horn will start to honk for no reason. Not: honk honk honk but rather one long continuous: Hooooooooooooooooooooooooonk! It usually happens after bad rain. Last time AAA pulled the fuse for him. He pushed it back in the next morning and it was fine.

He does not have keyless entry nor an alarm.
    Is this thing possessed? Ideas?
  • whatevera2whatevera2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Ihave 1998 grand caravan, had the same problem flashing light on control pannel. i have done the procedure u suggested every thing went to normal except A/C button and air circulationn button lights are still flshing. I repeated the procedure u have sugested but the proble remain the same. Pl. If u can help me further more on this issue. thaks for time and cosidration.
  • whatevera2whatevera2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Ihave 1998 grand caravan, had the same problem flashing light on control pannel. i have done the procedure u suggested every thing went to normal except A/C button and air circulationn button lights are still flshing. I repeated the procedure u have sugested but the proble remain the same. Pl. If u can help me further more on this issue. thaks for time and cosidration.
  • artm4artm4 Member Posts: 3
    My 2001 Grand Caravan dash lights just started flashing on and off, then went out completly. gas gauge stopped working. speed indicator stopped working. Tach stopped.

Head lights work. turn signals work. horn works. stop lights work.

Need help, Thank you very much. Art. :(:(
    Hi Art,
    I have no idea if this is your problem, but my 2000 Voyager had similar issues. It continued to run fine, but all my gauges, windshield wipers, radio, etc. stopped working while I was driving home. As it turned out, these vehicles have a safety feature built in, when the battery is dying. It shuts down all non-essential things (I still don't see how they figure the speedometer is non-essention) so those things don't drain the battery more and the vehicle will continue to run. We replaced the battery and everything was fine. I don't, however, recall if the lights started flashing before they went off. Maybe this is your issue. I hope this helps.
  • tvdadtvdad Member Posts: 1
    The instrument panel on our 1998 Dodge Caravan is losing power intermittently. At first, the panel would go "dead" for only a few seconds; the last time it occurred (Wed. evening 7/30/08), the power was out for a couple of minutes. Radio and air conditioning still worked, lights were on, just no speedometer, fuel gauge, etc. Since that time, the "service engine" light will not go off. We are REALLY trying to avoid an $80 diagnostic.

tvdad in missouri
  • iamhis72iamhis72 Member Posts: 3
    Hi I have a 99 plymouth van. I just had all the problems everyone is explaining on this site and was about to get ride of the van. I spent and few hundred dollars on the van with out having anything fixed. My dash went dead, horn never worked and many other things. I took it to a man who works out of his own garage and he told me not a problem he could fix it. I really did not have much faith but the van’s body was in great shape. He spent about 4 hours on it and then told me the following which might help others. The vans have 7 (I think that is right) modules in them. When one of them goes it sends messages to the other 6 and then they start to shut down also. My van had about 12 amps running through the system which should carry about 2 or so I think. The problem seems to shut everything down with the ignition module to be the last one to go, and when it does you are unable to start the van. He traced my problem believe it or not to the AC module, he replace it and everything started to work again. All my gauges, my horn AC, cruise everything and has worked fine since. It is an electrical problem that he told me is not only just Plymouth and dodge but with other makes as well. It only took about 3 hours of labor and a second hand part, for about $400. Hope this is of some help to everyone out there.
    Craig
    Hi I have a 99 plymouth van. I just had all the problems everyone is explaining on this site and was about to get ride of the van. I spent and few hundred dollars on the van with out having anything fixed. My dash went dead, horn never worked and many other things. I took it to a man who works out of his own garage and he told me not a problem he could fix it. I really did not have much faith but the van’s body was in great shape. He spent about 4 hours on it and then told me the following which might help others. The vans have 7 (I think that is right) modules in them. When one of them goes it sends messages to the other 6 and then they start to shut down also. My van had about 12 amps running through the system which should carry about 2 or so I think. The problem seems to shut everything down with the ignition module to be the last one to go, and when it does you are unable to start the van. He traced my problem believe it or not to the AC module, he replace it and everything started to work again. All my gauges, my horn AC, cruise everything and has worked fine since. It is an electrical problem that he told me is not only just Plymouth and dodge but with other makes as well. It only took about 3 hours of labor and a second hand part, for about $400. Hope this is of some help to everyone out there.
    Craig
    Craig
  • artm4artm4 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, In my 2001 grand caravan, Everything works except the dash board lights and gauges. horn works, dome lights, radio, ac, heater, electric door, everything but the guages and light in the dash, but it could be a module. Thank you. art
  • vophsivophsi Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 1998 Caravan and I am experiencing the same issue. The two rear wiper buttons lights are flashing along with the a/c and recirculated buttons. The wiper works along with the recirculated air, however, the a/c does not work. It blows only hot air. I had the center console replaced and that did not fix the issue. I would really like to have this fixed without throwing away more deniro...
  • voyager3voyager3 Member Posts: 1
    The power window on the drivers door, stopped operating. I thought I checked all the small fuses, under the hood, and under the dash. Where should I look for a fuse or relay?
  • abbydoabbydo Member Posts: 2
    hi please my chrysler,grand voyage model 2001,3.3 petrol no spark ,no fuell .its not start no dtc what l can do?please l need help. by abby
  • pat13151pat13151 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2001 Chrysler Voyager. 6 months ago my drivers side window started working slow then quit. Tried a new master switch it didn't work the drivers window either. Spent 100.00 to have it diagnosed and was told it was the motor. Couldn't afford a new one so drove with the window up argggg!!!!!! Recently the power door locks started working intermittently and now the vent windows and passenger window too. Was told it could be the power window relay but I don't know where it's hidden. I'm on a fixed income and have very little money add to that the fact that I'm a woman and you can see the problem. Some mechanics will tell you anything and take your money figuring you're a woman and won't know any better so it's hard to find one you can trust. Does anyone know where the window relay is hidden? it's not in the fuse box under the hood. Also could it be a short? Help!!! I'm getting ready to beat my head against the wall...lol :sick:
  • pat13151pat13151 Member Posts: 10
    update! went to an auto repair shop supposed to specialize in electrical problems with a BBB listing. The mechanic I talked to could not grasp the fact that when the passenger window doesn't work neither do the auto door locks (they lock when you hit a certain speed), the door lock button or the vent windows and the door ajar buzzer. When one works they all work. He started going on about how he could replace both window motors and the vent motors and that the locks would be another repair. He insisted it couldn't be a short or bad wire because none of my fuses were blown and insisted it couldn't be the window relay (wherever they hid that). He treated me like I was an idiot for thinking they could all be connected somehow. When the window works it works fine and so do the vents etc, If the motors were bad then I don't see how they could work fine sometimes and not others. :mad: this is me screaming
  • cyclessledscyclessleds Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I started my van to run an errand the other day and discovered that the signal lights, hazard lights, gas guage, gear indicator, and temperature guage didn't work. any ideas? I've checked all the fuses- all good. Please help ASAP.
    I started my van to run an errand the other day and discovered that the signal lights, hazard lights, gas guage, gear indicator, and temperature guage didn't work. any ideas?

Read several messages about circuit boards and cold soldering joints below.

Minivan Circuit Boards & Cold Soldering Points